March 1, 2013

Some More Schedule Thoughts

Filed under: ACC,Conference,Football,Schedule — Chas @ 3:45 pm

Want to know why the Big Ten is actively discussing 9 or even 10 conference games? Why the ACC may have reversed course for now on 9 games, but may revisit in the future? Why the Pac-12 and Big 12 are already at 9 conference games?

It simply is not cheap to rent-a-patsy any longer.

Pitt will pay ODU $375,000 to play at Heinz Field next season, but that’s not as much as both North Carolina ($450,000) and ECU ($430,000) are paying. ECU’s is paying out $250,000 in cash and giving ODU 4,000 tickets with a face value of $180,000.

Maryland is paying ODU $350,000.

Idaho will pay ODU $150,000, but the Monarchs are scheduled to give that same amount back in 2019 when the Vandals play a return game to Norfolk.

In all, ODU is raking in almost $1.8 million in guarantees, which [ODU AD Wood] Selig said would go toward paying FCS opponents to come to Norfolk and for travel expenses.

It’s getting expensive just to buy a 1-AA team. Now imagine how much it costs for a guarantee game from the MAC or Sun Belt. Those are seven-figure games if you don’t make it a 2-for-1 (Hello, Akron road trip in 2015). Sure most of the SEC and Big 10 can afford it, and have stadiums they fill that more than cover the cost. Still, there are reasons 106 out of 125 1-A programs  have a 1-AA team on their schedule. And only 9 schools in a BCS conference don’t have a 1-AA opponent.

So, no. I don’t like seeing 1-AA teams on the schedule, but I’m not surprised any longer. It’s almost become a necessary evil if you want to have seven home games every year.

Now this year’s schedule has no weekday games — aside from ones on a holiday weekend. The ACC has Thursday night games with ESPN, but for now that is it on weekday games.

The schedule is also more traditional, with 10 Saturdays after several Wednesday and Friday night games in recent Big East seasons.

“I hope we never do that again in my lifetime,” Pederson said of Wednesday games. “We have normal college football.”

Hopefully Wednesday and Friday games will be the province of MACtion and Big East remaindermen.

Heather Dinich at the ESPN ACC blog ranks Pitt’s non-con schedule as 4th best. Seems about right.

With the move to the ACC, kicking off with FSU. Plus Notre Dame at home, there is no question that this is Pitt’s best home slate since 2003. I have no doubt, that like 2003, the season tickets will sell out this year. As for whether it is reflected in physical attendance. That will depend very much on what Pitt does against FSU to start the season.

The game will be televised nationally on ESPN and will be the only Division I-A game that night.

“It provides a great opportunity because of the challenges,” Pitt coach Paul Chryst said. “We’re excited and proud to be going into the ACC and what better way for us to do it than to play against the defending champions?”

I guess the one thing that puzzles me is this: was there really any serious debate in the Pittsburgh area about jumping at the opportunity to host FSU to start the season? Or was this sports radio BS where the hosts tried to pretend there was a real debate to this issue. I ask because there was the Starkey article before it went through and then the Cook column afterwards. Both making what look to me like fake controversy over the issue as they side with the obvious choice of definitely doing it.

It is set up for us perfectly. We win tomorrow and we should be DePaul, Notre Dame now has a home game with the St. Johns, then has to play at Louisville. We win both, they lose 1 and we get the double bye… I believe us just getting the double bye and even losing a 1st rd. game in the BE. Tourney will still give us a 5 seed and then I’m still betting we have just as good a chance to do something this year as well as in years past…. Again, we are not as good as teams previous to last year, however something tells me this team will respond in the NCAA tourney this year. I think we have a chance to see sweet 16 and possibly elite 8. That’s as good as we’ve ever had it, so keep the faith!

Comment by beanboy 03.02.13 @ 8:16 pm

sorry beat DePaul and just St. Johns… I’m not drinking the kool aid, just not paying enough attention to my posts.

Comment by beanboy 03.02.13 @ 8:18 pm

I just watched the Duke-Miami game. Duke played a good game and held on to win. Wow the athletes on the Maimi team are incredible.

Comment by Justinian 03.02.13 @ 8:30 pm

@HbgFrank
I not offended but I don’t agree either. They have lost their eastern “window” where all if their students and most of their players come from.
Luck hit the panic button and I’m pretty certain knew quickly that he had “effed” up. He is a classic narcissistic CEO.
coaches like Holgersen don’t improve programs, they improve their PR. WVU might have been the worst coached team in 2012. Their defense was simply pitiful and once teams figured out their offense, that too ended up stinking. Look at the lack of production over the last 6 games. No one got hurt either.
Nope, they don’t have the chops and sticking with my R E Lee analogies, they are too far from their supply base. Logistics matter in recruiting too.
Lastly, for all of the criticism I have of Pederson, at least Pitt had a plan. WVUlgar ran out the nearest exit door and left their pants on the bedpost!

Comment by SFPitt 03.02.13 @ 8:56 pm

Pitt Dad, he’s swifter than our current 4s. More athletic.

Comment by steve1 03.02.13 @ 8:59 pm

bad newhttp://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/pitt-freshman-center-adams-injures-ankle-in-practice-677597/s

Comment by wbb 03.02.13 @ 9:52 pm

Comment by wbb 03.02.13 @ 9:53 pm

UCLA is taking it to Arizona in the 2nd half. I wonder if Bill Walton is still bitching about Ben Howland’s style of play tonight?

Comment by Justinian 03.02.13 @ 10:27 pm

Looks like it’s Dante time. He can do it.

Comment by panther94 03.02.13 @ 10:52 pm

Oh, and hopefully, the injury is minor.

Comment by panther94 03.02.13 @ 10:53 pm

Dante can play. Let’s hope Adams is ok will be alright for the Big East Tournament.

Comment by Justinian 03.02.13 @ 10:55 pm

#11 Arizona (Hi Sean) lost by 5 on the road to unranked UCLA (hey Ben). Weird year in CBB

Comment by Pitt Dad 03.02.13 @ 11:09 pm

OK, what current Pitt quarterback is Brooks Bollinger talking about in a story appearing in this morning’s Trib Review? If you haven’t read the story, try and guess.

“The ‘It,’ the moxie, whatever you want your quarterback to have, I think he has that,” he said. “He carries himself in that way. The guys kind of want to follow him and are attracted to him.”

Comment by PittofDreams 03.03.13 @ 8:23 am

Any word on how Graham did at the combine?

Comment by Pitt Is IT 03.03.13 @ 8:32 am

Either Chapman or Savage.

Comment by EMel 03.03.13 @ 8:58 am

OH crap I can’t believe Kiwi Steve hurt his ankle.

Sleepy can cover the offense lost, but the huge question can he step up his defense.

Also probably means Zanna plays more, I guess unless you have to use him as the backup center.
Which you would, since Sleepy hasn’t played a large amount of minutes in a game.

It must be a fairly bad injury or you wouldn’t report it… right?

Comment by EMel 03.03.13 @ 9:01 am

EMel do you think the catholic 7 or new big east will be that mutch better then old big east or metro 10.
at the top of league were it counts.

Comment by FRANKCAN 03.02.13 @ 1:58 pm

Think the new BigEast has the names and the big cities covered much better than, “The conference formerly known as The BigEast”

You have Georgetown in DC Metro
St. John’s & Seton Hall in NYC metro
Villanova in Philadelphia
Marquette in Milwaukee
XAvier in Cincinnati
Providence in Providence
Depaul in Chicago
Butler in Indianapolis

As far as the Top 4 in each league, it’s pretty much a wash, but I look at the entirety of a league, from Top to Bottom to measure it’s strength and the new BigEast is going to be very weak at the bottom, with current C-USA bottom feeders SMU, Houston & Tulane.

Which is why Notre Dame would rather play in the new BigEast next year, rather than the league formerly known as the Big East with above mentioned C-USA teams.

Comment by EMel 03.03.13 @ 9:14 am

And I hope the conference formerly known as the BigEast chooses a new name very shortly, as this is very confusing.

Oh Vey !

Comment by EMel 03.03.13 @ 9:16 am

I just hope the ACC stays together somehow, I could’nt stand going through more conference shifting again, worrying where Pitt will end up.

Comment by Moe Greene 03.03.13 @ 9:31 am

Moe, my guess is that the PAC 12, SEC, and Big 10 all will eventually go to at least 16 teams. The remnants of the Big 12 and ACC will form the 4th mega conference. Same 64 teams that are in the current group of 5 power conferences.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.03.13 @ 12:46 pm

@HbgFrank, I hope nothing happens. Second wish would be what you say.

Somehow, that would have to include, Texas, TT, Ok and Okie St going with that Pac12.

That would free up the other schools to merge with ACC for 4th conf.. That wouldn’t be so bad.

However, long term dred, with what many see down the road, is this……..

Big 10 UNC, UVA, Kansas, Kansas St.—–16
SEC Va. Tech and NC.ST—————16
Big12 Clem, FSU, Mia, Ga. Tech Lou Byu–16

PAC12 Stays at 12

ACC Down to Pitt BC Duke Wake Syracuse

With then doing another alignment, becoming on the outs of the Big 64, and cobbling something together with UCONN, USF, Cincy etc. etc.

Hey, nothing we can control, but for those of us that worry about it ( and I mean worry, as in worry in the realm of college football, no real life worrying), this seams like the way it could go.

You could certainly substitue a team here or there. Like Kansas St., Louisville.

I only see two things that can prevent this.

1. Maryland loses lawsuit and has to pay the 50 million. Most peopele seem to think Maryland is going to win this and get it bartered down.

2. Somehow, someway, ESPN finds the money to put the ACC on par with the other conferences, or at least close, wanting to keep thier inventory of college sports for the future.

Thinking selfishly and romantically, I say, ‘why would a team move’?? Just for a little money.

I’ve now put myself in that position, with something I never really put into the equation.

The other conferences are up 5-6 million, or even 2-3 million. Guess I had an epiphany.

That’s up millions, EVERY YEAR. Not a one time hit.

At the end of the fiscal year, your team is up the others several million dollars.

Hard to not take the money when you realize that will be several extra million dollars, at the start of every year.

Lawsuit or ESPN coming up with cash, or I’m afraid Delaney will be going for 16 and we could be on the outside looking in before we ever even got to be “in”.

I still gotta go to work tomorrow, but, as things pertain to this conference crap, that is my humble opinion.

Comment by Dan 03.03.13 @ 10:25 pm

Dan, I can’t say that I disagree with your logic, but if TV is really driving the push to the mega conference, then I don’t see a scenario where the LA market is not a part of that picture. It was the PAC 12 that was the first to try to get to 16. If I’m Texas, the TV market in LA has far more lure than the TV market in Miami. Texas drives the bus, if they decide to go, then TT, OK, and OSU go with them. The Big 10 and SEC only need two teams each. I don’t see the Big 10 going as far south as FLA and I don’t see the SEC taking both FLA state and MIA (Florida would not be happy with either). The Big 10 can have UVA AND GA Tech. The SEC can have VA Tech and FLA St. That leaves Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Va Tech, Miami, NC, NC ST, Duke, WF, Lville, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K ST, Iowa St, and WVU to form a very respectable FB conference and a really good BB Conference. Where does ND go? Don’t know, maybe this new conference goes to 18.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.03.13 @ 10:42 pm

Forgot Clemson, there ya go, now with ND the “Big ACC 16” has 18 members.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.03.13 @ 10:46 pm

Actually, I guess either Clemson or Va Tech goes.

Comment by HbgFrank 03.04.13 @ 12:13 am

Oh, you’re right. I forgot about Maryland and Rutgers in the Big Ten. They do allready have 14 and would only need two.

My fault. Totally forgot both.

I just wish someone would say, “that’s it, done”!!

I’m sure there are back door discussions as we speak. I’m sure that fella at the PAC 12 isn’t just sitting idly bye!!

As I would imagine the ACC commish and ESPN aren’t sitting around.

Everyone waiting to see outcome of lawsuit.

Comment by Dan 03.04.13 @ 11:21 am