February 15, 2013

Link Through, 2/15

Filed under: Basketball — Chas @ 8:10 am

No coherent theme to the stories in my tabs so it’s a good time for linking and letting them go.

If it helps in the Steven Adams’ future debate, Seth Davis from SI.com wants him to stay.

It’s nice to see Pittsburgh freshman center Steven Adams getting more comfortable, but I really think he would do himself a disservice if he went to the NBA. What’s the hurry, young fella? Get stronger, work on your game, come back to school, and go to the league when you’re ready to have an impact.

Coach Dixon attributes the drop in scoring in no small part to the zone and 3s.

Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon made a great point Thursday about low scoring in college basketball. Dixon said that teams attempting more 3-pointers has led to more zone defenses and using up more of the shot clock. Of course, he added that teams are defending better and more fouls aren’t being called. There are a lot of theories out there about low scoring, but perhaps the most important might be the lack of some fundamental shooting.

It’s purely anecdotal and perhaps perception, but it does seem that a lot more teams are utilizing zone defenses this season. They aren’t necessarily sticking with it exclusively, but they are shifting to it for stretches. Trying to keep teams off-balance.

Heck, even Coach Dixon uses it for chunks of the game without gritting his teeth.

“I think now at this point we go into a game thinking we’re going to use the zone,” Dixon said. “I don’t think that has been the case in year’s past, but the game has changed and we’ve changed. We think it is a nice change of pace.”

On Saturday, the Panthers executed a 2-3 zone look to perfection, holding Cincinnati without a field goal in the final nine minutes of the game. That lead to a 62-52 victory on the road, Pitt’s seventh in eight games.

“We work on it everyday so of course it is going to get better,” said wing Trey Zeigler. “We’ve been working on it everyday, and we’re just getting used to it. At first we weren’t sure about rotations, but I think we’re starting to figure out how to play the 2-3 and be effective.”

Incoming Pitt freshman Josh Newkirk is going to need a DVD player in his locker.

The Superstition: Watching the Telfair Documentary

The Breakdown: “Before every game I have to watch (Phoenix Suns guard) Sebastian Telfair’s documentary “Through the Fire.” I just sit back and watch the whole thing and watch what he went through and think about what I need to do.”

The Why: “It just gets me fired up. He was such a beast in high school and it gets me ready to go out there and do what I have to do. It just does something to me mentally. I’m ready to go when I watch that.”

Hey, any story that ends with Rick Pitino not getting his way is a good one.

Jamie Dixon shouting at the team to practice hard with that complete self-awareness of having a mic and camera on him.

If you’ve watched any Pac-12 games on ESPN this year, you know that Bill Walton is doing color analysis. He remains highly entertaining to me, but the one area of discomfort is his absolute abhorrence of Ben Howland. Which reached an apex last week.

Not that I like the color guys that kiss coaches asses, but Walton just completely hates Howland and the style of play. At points openly saying if he was in charge at UCLA he would get a different coach. Most chalk it up to Walton still worshiping at the alter of Wooden, and all others at UCLA are pretenders to the throne.

Speaking of low scoring games trend.

Living in the middle of ACC country, I probably follow that league more than most people on here.

Really have noticed that their average games scores in basketball have come way down. It’s almost as if they’re at PITT levels, no kidding.

As if they’re getting prepared for more low scoring games with PITT, Syracuse & Louisville coming into the league next year. Well Pitt & Cuse at least.

Virginia hiring former Washington State coach Tony Bennett(son of former Wisconsin Coach Dick Bennett) has brought his low scoring defensive mentality with him into the league and that has certainly had an effect on things as the Cavaliers are currently in 3rd place in the ACC at 8-3 after making the NCAA’s for the first time in 5 years last year.

So that is very interesting that Bennett’s style of coaching is succeeding in the ACC with Virginia. So I would have to think Dixon’s will as well.

HTP !
Beat Marquette !
VeV

Comment by EMel 02.15.13 @ 5:37 pm

Marquette will be a great test for our D.

Comment by spiritofsection22 02.15.13 @ 5:41 pm

EMel:
And now they are talking about shortening the shot clock to 24 or 30 seconds.
That only treats the symtom.
I would just expect defensive rebound stats to increase.
And scoring may well drop further.

I think of the game as a chess match. I love watching ball movement, patience to force a breakdown and get an open shot (no matter how long it takes).
High scoring not necessarily a result of good basketball. At times it could be the opposite.

Comment by xfmrman 02.15.13 @ 5:43 pm

symptom*

Comment by xfmrman 02.15.13 @ 5:44 pm

PantherP:
I just hope that lower seeding does not sent them to KC, Austin (sorry TXPanther), SLC or San Jose in the West or South Bracket.

Comment by xfmrman 02.15.13 @ 6:00 pm

@xfmr

As I posted above college scoring is at it’s lowest since the 1952 season.

Up until the 1985 season in college basketball, THERE WAS NO SHOT CLOCK. Yet they scored at a higher average than this season. And in the years between 1985 & 1952.

The players might be better athletes, but they are worse players and certainly worse shooters.

haha if you love a chess match, it was a real chess match without the shot clock. How about the 4 corners of UNC. Or I remember teams that had one great player would have the other 4 players stand together on the farthest extreme of the court near the sideline, while that one player would go on “one on one” against that opposing player.

This low scoring nowadays is a direct reflection of the overall poor shooting and terrible technique of the average player today. Teams struggle to shoot 40% these days and that’s with point blank dunks. lol

Comment by EMel 02.15.13 @ 6:14 pm

oh btw the dunk in college basketball was

illegal from 1968 to 1976.

Can you imagine how much lower shooting %’s would be today if that was the case today. As is the case with PITT, these teams can’t make layups, it’s just incredible.

Comment by EMel 02.15.13 @ 6:20 pm

Marquette is only shooting 27% from 3.

And they are due for a loss in the BigEast at home being 6-0 at home in conf. play.

Big key as always keeping Kiwi Steve on the court, clogging and intimidating in the middle of the paint. Since Marquette is only shooting 27% from 3, I would play lots of zone.

Let’s Go PITT !!

Comment by EMel 02.15.13 @ 6:22 pm

I agree with Dixon on the poor shooting. For Division I Basketball, it is unbelievable how some of these kids were recruited with having such horrible shooting skills. a lot of the best players, supposedly, in the country can’t even make a free throw.

Comment by Rcch87 02.15.13 @ 6:57 pm

EMel:

I was agreeing with you. Just adding that some think that the best way to increase scoring is to merely shoot more. Shortening the shot clock will most definitely lead to more missed shots. Not necessarily more scoring. And not better basketball.

I didn’t want to show my age. But I remember no shot clock. 😉

Comment by xfmrman 02.15.13 @ 7:28 pm

In terms of Pitt climbing the Big East standings, do we root for Cinci or GTown tonight?

Comment by MikePITT 02.15.13 @ 9:04 pm

CBS Sports reporting that Ray Graham ran a 4.5 40-yard dash at the combine? What the hell? Did the trip and fall half way through?
link to cbssports.com

Comment by MikePITT 02.15.13 @ 9:13 pm

@Boubacar
I’d take a final 4 before the BE championship; however, I’d take the BE championship before an elite 8.

Comment by panther94 02.15.13 @ 10:21 pm

forgot to say…one game at a time. Let’s get some payback against Marquette.

Comment by panther94 02.15.13 @ 10:23 pm

@MikePitt,
Cinci, but they’re losing.

Comment by panther94 02.15.13 @ 10:36 pm

I know it wasn’t Pitt playing but there was no way Cincy was going to win going 17 for 30 from the line.

Comment by Pitt Dad 02.15.13 @ 11:15 pm

Gotta win to keep pace tomorrow. Let’s go Pitt.

Comment by gc 02.15.13 @ 11:24 pm

Win we are in third place lose as low as seventh.

Big game.

Comment by gc 02.15.13 @ 11:28 pm

@EMEL, plus UVA can get a stirring rendition of “I left my Heart” at halftime!!!!

Comment by Dan 02.16.13 @ 11:14 am

Pitt will always be accused of beng overseeded until they go to the Final Four.

Comment by Caw Miller 02.16.13 @ 8:42 pm