February 12, 2013

Fine, I’ll indulge in this. If for no other reason than to provide a post that is actually on the topic. Damn, the fact that Pitt basketball is off until Saturday!

No puffs of smoke from the South Side indicating that any hirings have been made for the DC position.

There are names drifting about, but it is also clear that no one is really sure how serious either side is in the gig. Pitt and Coach Chryst really have a handle on leaks. Government agencies could learn a few things from this.

Keep in mind, these are just rumored names. Don’t treat them as facts. Try not to freak out on the speculation too much. Please?

Here are the names:

Teryl Austin

Mike Archer

Greg Jackson

Mike Tomsula

Now, I’m going to dismiss Tomsula out of hand. The San Francisco 49ers D-line coach may be a native to the Western PA area, but all information on the guy says he is fast-tracking for bigger jobs. Plus, we went down that road before last year. So, let’s not worry about that one.

As for Greg Jackson. Well, he has the Wisconsin ties:

Jackson join San Francisco after having spent eight years coaching in the collegiate ranks. In 2010, he was the nickel back/assistant linebackers coach for a University of Wisconsin team that finished the year ranked seventh in the nation with an 11-2 record.

Jackson is a Miami native and played college ball at LSU. From a recruiting perspective that would be a positive.

The problem is Jackson is the Assistant Secondary Coach for the 49ers. His resume is way too thin for him to be under real consideration for the DC position.

Prior to joining the Badgers, Jackson coached at Tulane University, serving as the linebackers/kickoff team coach (2009), the safeties/kickoff team coach (2008) and the defensive backs coach (2007). Jackson spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe (2004-06), where he coached All-Sun Belt Conference defensive back Chris Harris, who led the country with seven interceptions, in 2004. He also spent one year as the defensive backs coach for the University of Idaho (2003).

That is not the experience that will get you installed as the DC of any major conference football program. If, however, Matt House was going to be promoted from within, then Jackson to become the secondary coach would make a lot more sense.

/cue screams of blind rage from certain commenters

Mike Archer has been reportedly interviewed. Archer actually has DC experience. He was the DC at NC State from 2006-2012 under Notorious TOB. Archer found himself out of work after O’Brien was fired in favor of Dave Doeren — who before running NIU worked with Chryst at Wisconsin and hired Huxtable away from Pitt. So the circle would close.

Archer may — or may not — have had some flirtation with Pitt for the DC job last year.

He told Panther Digest on Monday that Pitt is a job he wouldn’t mind being considered for.

“Number one, I know the area,” Archer said. “Another thing, Pitt is coming into the ACC. I feel that’s an advantage for me, because I’ve coached in the league for the last five years. I know all about western Pennsylvania, and I know you can be successful if you recruit western Pennsylvania with eastern Ohio. I can still go into Miami. Florida is still big with Pitt.”

Archer is a native of State College, Pa., and went on to star as a defensive back at the University of Miami, where he graduated in 1976. He started his coaching career the second he graduated. He started off as a graduate assistant for the Hurricanes, then became a full-time assistant in 1978, spending six seasons, where he coached the defensive backs. That familiarity with western Pennsylvania was crucial then, as the Hurricanes were able to recruit quarterback Jim Kelly out of East Brady.

Archer then went to LSU, where he spent seven seasons with the Tigers, including a four-year stint as head coach from 1987-90. He was only 34 when he took over as head coach of the Tigers, and guided them to a 27-18-1 record over the four-year span.

Archer also spent 6 years with the Steelers as the linebackers coach (1996-2002).

Then, of course, there is Teryl Austin. Former Pitt player. Native of Sharon, PA. One year of college DC experience with Florida. Presently the secondary coach with the Baltimore Ravens.

He at least brings being an alumni and at least some DC experience.

That’s where things probably stand at the moment.

You forgot a major target Chas.

He was a dline and dcoordinator at OK state, dline coach at Miami, has had multiple stints at what seems to be every coaching position available except ball boy in the NFL, has an intimate connection with western PA. Not to mention, this is THE PITT GUY. May I present do you… Dave Wannstedt!

(given the amount of info we have, I’d say he is just as likely to be chosen as any of the aforementioned.)

Comment by Benzene 02.12.13 @ 12:27 am

What about elko?

Comment by TX Panther 02.12.13 @ 6:55 am

I was hoping for Wanny too. But he recently took another job, now working for Schiano:

link to tampabay.com

Comment by steve1 02.12.13 @ 7:32 am

“Help name scoocher’s new dog..leader in the clubhouse is “shady” followed by “larry” honorable mention for “sleepy.”

Comment by scoocher 02.10.13 @ 9:40 pm

The winner is? I’m holding my breath…

Comment by steve1 02.12.13 @ 7:39 am

it is puffs of “white” smoke, but I get the message.

I disagree with your assessment of Jackson. Anyone who has risen to coach in the ranks of the NFL, let alone a super bowl team, division and conference winner is MORE than qualified, IMO.
I’ll take quality over quantity any day, especially in the re-tread world of football coaches.
Harbaugh is one demanding MF’er and an a-hole to boot. Proves to me Jackson can work under the most difficult of conditions.
His college CV tells me he has seen some potent offenses.
He is my first choice, Archer my second.

Comment by sfpitt 02.12.13 @ 7:47 am

maybe we should have a poll … who puffs first, the Vatican or the South Side facility?

Any truth to the fact that the Vatican has adopted the Rooney Rule?

Comment by wbb 02.12.13 @ 7:55 am

Mike Archer is the most intriguing candidate to me because of his HC and DC experience but why is he just a DC now? He was relatively successful at LSU (by normal people’s standards); why has he not been up for other HC jobs? Some of the best coordinators tend to be the ones who work their tails off all the more because they’re looking to be an HC.

Still, I’d be happy with Archer, Austin or Jackson (in that order).

Comment by ajb240 02.12.13 @ 7:57 am

It’s my bet that the white smoke will be coming from the Sistine Chapel, before Pitt gets a new defensive coordinator.

Comment by Justinian 02.12.13 @ 8:43 am

@wbb, as a matter of fact, yes I do believe!!! Not only a rule, may become reality!!

Comment by Dan 02.12.13 @ 9:39 am

For me it is mike archer or teryl austin
the outher 2 are unqualified.
if pitt who will be in the ACC next year cant
hire a real DC how bad does that look.

here is a list of schools who have just hired
a DC MARSHALL ON FEB 6
CORNEEL ON FEB 7
MURRY STATE FEB 6
PORTLAND STATE HIRERD THE FORMER BYU DC

THEY are all small schools but that is the point
if a small school can do it and we who are to be
in the ACC cant how sad would that be.

lets hope we get a real DC soon spend the money.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 9:43 am

Archer, Coyer and (I believe) Orlando are unemployed … you would think that money wouldn’t be an issue

Comment by wbb 02.12.13 @ 9:48 am

(I hit the Submit too soon)

I’m not sure this is a money issue. It could well be a control /comfort zone issue with Chryst which seems to want all of his employess within his inner circle.

This is pure speculation (I have no concrete evidence.)

Comment by wbb 02.12.13 @ 9:52 am

Wbb i think you are right and that control
comfort zone thing might be his down fall
some day .
it must be that or money they are all i can think
of.
he cant really be that paranoid over outsideers
can he.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 10:10 am

Chas is right about HCPC keeping the lid on leaks. More power to him for that. The FAN was discussing the possible change back to the (correct) Pitt script logo this AM. One caller claimed he was heading up the effort and had met with Steve Pederson. He was told that it will be taken under advisement. Seems to me this would be a no-brainer for the move to the ACC and increased merchandise sales. I personally won’t buy anything without the script logo anymore.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 02.12.13 @ 10:24 am

Never know, some people may be weighing their options after talking to Coach Chryst, and may be giving them their answer as we speak.

He needs to know, but they would also say that they need a few days to make sure.

Allthough it’s getting late, I’ll error on the side of the Coach.

People were throwing daggers at him about recruiting last year, came out with a pretty good class for his 1st year.

Any good manager has 4 or 5 picks to fill a position if not more, so I’m sure he’s been on the horn back and forth the past week.

Comment by Dan 02.12.13 @ 10:31 am

I don’t think its anyone listed above. The DC hire will come out of no where. I still think Paul has his man but is trying to figure out how to get him here. I find it hard to believe other than Archer interview, Paul is able to keep the Pitt DC hiring so quiet. That has me believing he is still working on his top choice.

Comment by Why me 02.12.13 @ 10:59 am

Jim Tomsula. I would like to see him considered. Great coach, was retained by SF through 3 different head coaching changes. He must be doing something right.

Comment by Brian Tuttle 02.12.13 @ 11:23 am

I am intrigued by Archer. He is from State College, and decided to NOT play his ball at Ped St. That’s what I’M talkin about!

Comment by Iron Duke 02.12.13 @ 11:26 am

What ever happened to Charlie Partridge?

Comment by PittMW 02.12.13 @ 11:31 am

The decision is forthcoming. Spring Ball
starts in a month.

Comment by JR 02.12.13 @ 11:32 am

link to articles.courant.com

How terrible is it to be a Husky fan right now??

I feel bad for the kids 8-16 yrs old or so, I remember being a Pitt fan at that age and wanting to be part of the party.

To bad ND won’t comitt to ACC, UCONN could be #16.

Comment by Dan 02.12.13 @ 12:19 pm

Let’s not forget Teryl Austin was a tremendous recruiter during his stint @ Michigan. He also has the Florida connection & will sell the whole PITT package big time ! Not to mention I went to Pitt during his tenure and he’s a great guy. The next Tony Dungy !?!

Comment by ROCKY20 02.12.13 @ 12:27 pm

Archer’s defenses were very pedestrian at NC State. I would rather get an up and coming dc. Austin would be the no-brainer, and it will probably be him IF he wants it, which is no guarentee.

Comment by srb 02.12.13 @ 12:49 pm

What about Charlie Partridge? Where did he wind up?

Comment by MidWestPanther 02.12.13 @ 12:51 pm

@Dan
I agree with you on UConn. Its ridiculous that this program which has achieved so much is going to be left behind. They should seriously consider joining the Catholic 7 to save their basketball program.

Comment by Floyd 02.12.13 @ 1:08 pm

Don’t always take no news as bad news :-)

Oklahoma State just hired their OC. Mike Yurcich, from Division II Shippensburg. People on this blog would freak out if Chryst hired a coordinator from Div II.
The point is, we are not in that inner circle and do not have info on all the coaches that are out there. Can’t make assumption one way or the other. There are hundreds of coaches out there.

Comment by notrocketscience 02.12.13 @ 1:29 pm

The Pitt Script guy has a Facebook page. He has some really cool stuff on it

Comment by DCPinPGH 02.12.13 @ 2:03 pm

From ESPN – the B1G is considering a 9 or 10 game conference schedule. Maybe PSUx is going to be off our schedule anyway

link to espn.go.com

Comment by KeyboardKev 02.12.13 @ 2:07 pm

Pitt Script Facebook’s page

link to facebook.com

Comment by dcpinpgh 02.12.13 @ 2:12 pm

chrelie partridge was hired some were the same day panther prey posted that he might come here
i just dont remmber were maybe a pro team or
the SEC.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 2:19 pm

Partridge is an assistant at Arkansas … as is Randy Shannon who was just hired less than 2 weeks ago and IMO would have been a real good DEC candidate here

Comment by wbb 02.12.13 @ 2:33 pm

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS.
CHRYST is better then the CIA at being tight
liped or he is talking to no one dont know which.

Wbb i did say maybe the SEC but you nailed it.
it would have been nice to have him.

at this point i would settle for any real DC
todd oralando or archer or austin

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 2:53 pm

I like the comparisons with the election of a new Pope to the appointment of a Defensive Coordinator in the Panther nation. People will be intrigued by the mysyery and the steath in both cases. Christianity will be in the forefront. Even non-religionists will be informed by the repeated references to the Vatican and Oakland. It is a compekking saga: a new, energetic Pontiff and a young, savy, yet experienced defensive guru. I’m HOOKED. No, I won’t wager on which choice will be made first. Pitt’s spring practice commences March 5, but Easter for western Christians is March 31st. It’s coming down to crunch time fans!! May the BETTER man win and prayers can’t hurt. Rev. George(a Presbyterian) from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 02.12.13 @ 3:14 pm

If Pitt hires a really good candidate as DC before his resignation on the 28th, would that be the miracle that would seal Pope Benedict into sainthood?

Comment by wbb 02.12.13 @ 3:21 pm

The trend here focusing on Archer and Austin is interesting. Perhaps Chryst is not getting the “fit” he is looking for on the personal side of things… important too and the reason Huxable left?

to repeat the question by others… what is up with ARcher? He seems too successful to be out of football?

Yes, please back to not only the Pitt Script… but the colors! We look like half the teams out there… navy blue and gold… blah blah blah…

the color scheme pops and will be a real distinguishing future (and is actually now in the trend of today’s football coolness”.

Comment by Pittscript 02.12.13 @ 3:27 pm

There is a good chance that PC may promote Bobby Ingram to DC. Don’t be surprised if you see the announcement within the next few days. HTP

Comment by DJS 02.12.13 @ 3:35 pm

A Miracle would be pitt script and a first rate
DC that would be a miracle.
i want them both it is not mutch to ask is it?

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 3:40 pm

Ingram…. interesting… he blew it up on the recruiting front… what is his background?

Comment by Pittscript 02.12.13 @ 3:47 pm

Frank can, I’m with you……..can we ask that to be a part of the conclave?

Comment by DJS 02.12.13 @ 3:52 pm

Just found this Pitt contact page… and sent email to Pederson and others about the Script and colors…. I suggest we just bomb these people with appropriate emails – note I said appropriate –

… you can sense the momentum building on this.

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by Pittscript 02.12.13 @ 3:58 pm

@Pittscript, absolutely.

@DCPinPGH, great page, great site. Appreciate everything that he is doing.

If you happen to know him, or he is a buddy, I would only say one thing.

And, maybe it’s just the pages colors, and in no way would I diminish his work, just needs to tone down the neon look, and the metallic helmet look.

He’s on the right path, don’t want to be Oregon or Maryland though either.

Just put the colors and script back to the way it was.

Update the look and the fit to present day uniforms of course, but I wouldn’t want some futuristic things either.

Great work by him, and he is certainly trying and deserves all the credit in the world.

What have I done?? I have fed-exed two separate letters, respectful letters, to about 6 people in the ath. dept..

Still don’t think it will happen. Make money, make fans happy, going to a new conference……………………too easy!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 02.12.13 @ 4:26 pm

I also have a Facebook page, “bring back Pitt script and colors”.

I guess I didn’t promote it enough, have about 35 likes or so.

Don’t get on Facebook too often anymore, so probably not generating many hits.

Comment by Dan 02.12.13 @ 4:29 pm

wbb and others: I thought miracles on the gridiron only occured for the Irish and the Steelers??? However, I would consider a great hire for the Panther’s DC to be a wee bit of a miracle in a broad perspective!!! Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 02.12.13 @ 5:25 pm

I have no clue who is doing the script Pitt page.

Comment by DCPinPGH 02.12.13 @ 5:55 pm

And what experience does Bobby Ingram have as a defensive coach?
That would be as foolish as a pro team naming their offensive line coach the DC…oh wait, the Eagles did that already.

Comment by Gas 02.12.13 @ 5:57 pm

All do respect to the loyal followers of PITT tradition, just maybe its time to forgo the script and just allow the current icon be the emblematic signature. Have to say after looking around my office and closet which has plenty of images of the Pitt script and remembering past glories that bore that icon – it’s yesterday’s news and time to let it go – love the current blue and gold logo!

Comment by GotalovePitt 02.12.13 @ 7:40 pm

There’s no reason Pitt can’t do the same thing UCLA does! What does UCLA do? They use BOTH their script AND their block letters. Sometimes you see their script and sometimes you see their block. Why not have both going like they do?

Comment by pittman4ever 02.12.13 @ 9:10 pm

@gotalovepitt

I can understand your sentiment on the one hand… and the following is not directed at you, just the situation.

… realize what would have Nebraska folks done if Stevie the AD came in and wanted to change the color scheme and logo? He’d be in an unmarked grave somewhere in the middle of nowhere…

What about Tennessee’s going from orange to whatever….

Penn State to navy blue with a logo on the helmet…

‘bama going to cranberry red… hey that is close to ‘crimson red’ after all…

Pitt’s colors were distinctive… and actually would now be considered back in fashion. Look at Michigan’s baseball team’s gold uniforms…

Noooo, they go with the brilliant marketing move here and they went to Navy Blue and dark gold…

how many colleges and high schools have that color scheme… thousands?

Totally blows up any ‘brand recognition’ or distinctiveness and we can now just blend completely into the mundane sports landscape of bland colors and block lettered logos…

The current Pitt logo just sucks… oooh, I panther in a triangle of some sort….? How many high schools in America have some variation of that?

The Pitt script has energy and a life of its own and we see this because after all the years of trying to kill it… people (young people) are still into it.

I end with part of the email I sent to Charlie Farris, Joseph Ernest, and Steve Pederson tonight (their emails are on the page above )… Ferris actually answered back.

….

From this Pittsburgh/global perspective I state the following:

– I walk by a sports bar on the street… peer in at the TVs… see teams playing… who are they?

– Many teams you immediately know who they are from a distance… distinctive colors, logos… (you know who they are).

– Then so many teams… no idea who they are… I squint to read but they blur and blend into to typical bland colors, block lettering ….

– LIKE navy blue and gold… ugh!

Not only is the Pitt Script iconic and powerful (note the life of its own even with all of your attempts to kill it?)

– The COLORs… they pop and are unique.

…. (long section why to go back to the script and logo)…

Then anyone walking down a street… and looking in a bar window… will say… “oh, hey look,…. Pitt is playing….”

Comment by Pittscript 02.12.13 @ 9:21 pm

Let me say this football march 5 which is 21
days from now that is the longest ghryst can make us wait for a DC.
if it goes past that he wouldent would he.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.12.13 @ 9:46 pm

Pitt’s new DC is rumored to be no other than WPIAL legend Don Yanessa. He will maintain an excellent pipeline to Aliquippa and will give one more last hurrah to Western Pennsylvania Football…

Comment by Conservative Panther 02.12.13 @ 10:46 pm

babich hired by jags jan 19 out of mix,dc is best kept secret ,haven;t seen any mentioned even close,hey pittscript, stutdent meeting next week on campus, thats the group u need to work ,with, also nike throw backs r approx 70,000, thats the problem

Comment by paul shannon 02.12.13 @ 10:54 pm

Pittscript…agree – I just sent an email to Junko – maybe you do the same with a link to your suggestions, or even send it to the whole athletic department!

Comment by markp 02.13.13 @ 6:55 am

i would not go to the athletic dept yet, it must come from the students

Comment by paul shannon 02.13.13 @ 7:20 am

Chryst will go through spring ball using his staff as co-defensive coordinators. A grad assistant will fill a position spot on the defense. At the end of spring ball, PC will evaluate the defense and make a decision on which way to go.
I am told this is plan for know…….

Comment by DJS 02.13.13 @ 8:34 am

Thats not a plan. Why are the simplest things always the most difficult for PITT? Hiring a DC should not be this complicated.

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 9:07 am

Wow! Talk about running the defense on the cheap if they go the above route. I hope our offense can put up a lot of points or this House guy is the real deal. Not liking this to much.

Comment by Why me 02.13.13 @ 9:20 am

why me DC33 i dont think that is the plan
they cant be that cheap or stupid
and if they are we wont win a game in the ACC
WE would look like fools.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.13.13 @ 9:29 am

Frankcan. I agree. It must be a money issue. This should be an easy process. Why do we always have some level of drama regarding this program. There appears to be plenty of talent available to hire an experienced coach. PC was already denied the Wisky job & I doubt he will appreciate PITT being tight w/cash. (if that is the case)

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 9:49 am

There is no money issue. Apparently however, there is a hiring issue.

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.13.13 @ 10:01 am

Ok. Lets call it a hiring issue. Surely PC does not have that many philosophical differences w/the talant available. Hire the best candidate that has the ability to adapt to the players & their talents.

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 10:54 am

Pitt has been saving salary money since the old DC left. Pitt is getting more money when it goes into ACC on July 1. Sad if Pitt sacrifices a little money and not get a good DC.

Comment by Frank MD 02.13.13 @ 11:06 am

I am an eternal optimist… so if this show that PC is patient, knows what he wants, and just is not going to hire a ‘name’ or someone with a reputation, but rather he is going to take his time to find the right person who will fit from football philosophy and personality… then this is a good indicator for the future of this program.

there is an optimist’s take on this…

Comment by Pittscript 02.13.13 @ 11:19 am

If everyone on the board gets a raise, does it automatically make you better at your job?

Comment by sfpitt 02.13.13 @ 11:46 am

@gotalovepitt, I understand your sentiment. I, as a proponet of restoring the Pitt script, actually think the Pitt block lettering is not bad. Very collegiate looking, as opposed to the Panthersaurus.

I understand your point about “past glory”.

However, a couple thoughts. First of all, it’s not like we’d be going back to uniforms from 50 years ago. It’s still relatively not that long ago that they were changed.

Secondly, as Pitt script mentioned, college football is about tradition. Wins and losses don’t matter either. Uniforms in college are very recognizable, and part of that tradition.

Almost all of the BCS conference teams have the same uniforms. Yes, adjustments and little things as time moves on and things get updated.

In general though, you can turn a college football game on, and most of us know who is playing by uniforms in a few seconds.

Ya, a few have changed, those are all carnival salesman using gimmicks to sell a few jerseys.

I don’t have a problem with once a year, having an alternate jersy or a throwback jersey, sell your jerseys that way.

Also, it still bugs me, that it was changed, by an outsider, for solely marketing purposes. Had it been changed by a Pitt guy, with Pitt fans blessings, maybe I’d feel differently.

Also, what better marketing now, to sell more merchandise than going back to the script and colors.

My percentages of what will happen with the uni’s.

1. Nothing %80

2. Returning to Pitt script, with the Ath. Dept. mucking it up, by putting a purple stripe on the helmet, or neon green dot, dotting the eye, or having 12 different variations of blue and gold making us look ridiculous. %15

3. Returning to Pitt script and colors, with updated amenities and updated fit, but looking like the Pitt most of us love. %5

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 12:11 pm

p.s. @gotalovepitt. You may be suprised to know, I’m with you in one way.

I would prefer to stay the same as we are now, if they were gonna bring Pitt script back, and make it some kind of futuristic thing, with wild crazy uniforms ala Oregon and Maryland.

I want nothing to do with that.

Do it the right way, or don’t bother.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 12:17 pm

If I am not mistaken, Pitt’s run with the current emblem is gaining on the length of time they wore the script. The players being recruited have no memory of the script, in fact I would bet most of them love uniforms like Oregon wears. This is not 1976 gentlemen.

Pitt script 1973 to 1996, 23 years
Pitt block 1997 to 2013, 16 years

If you want to talk real tradition you have to go back to no emblem. Plain gold or blue helmets that may have a stripe.

The current emblem is good. I like the modern uniforms if they are done correctly like Oregon and Navy.

Comment by notrocketscience 02.13.13 @ 4:03 pm

notrocketscience,

I think it was
Pitt script 1973 to 1996, 23 years
Pittsburgh block with the “swamp monster” logo 1997 to 2004, 8 years
Pitt block 2005 to 2012, 8 years

The Pitt script with the royal blue and yellow gold colors is a very distinctive look. It represents the only period of success that we have had in living memory.

BTW, I think the colors go back even a lot longer than the script, perhaps to the ’60s.

Comment by Houston Panther 02.13.13 @ 4:46 pm

The recruits actually like the script pitt! Check shells Facebook along with many others! We are not navy!! We are pitt! Now is the time! Send messages and get the word out. Start out with a game or two with the throwbacks and see how sales do! I bet great!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 5:17 pm

is chryst such an offensive coach that he doesn’t need a defensive coordinator?

Comment by pittisit37 02.13.13 @ 6:18 pm

Everyone should relax a little, this is the way he operates. Very hush hush, CIA like. My guess is they have their guy or close to it and are working on the contract stuff. Sam Warner will be reporting on it soon. Hopefully! In my opinion teryl austin makes the most sense. He has experience on different levels and positions and has been coordinator before. Being a Pitt guy is an added bonus! I mean he was on some short lists to be our head coach. And if Chryst does bolt in three or four years, then we have our man just in case.

How cool would Labor Day night be at Heinz field vs Fsu with 60,000 plus and the panthers come out in the script! Place would go bananas!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 7:23 pm

Thanks for positive comments.

The fact remains if you look from a distance at a TV screen today you cannot distinguish Pitt from the blur of bland colors, compared to schools with distinctiveness. Today’s Pitt colors and logo are bland without any identity.

Comment by Pittscript 02.13.13 @ 8:20 pm

so pittscript what is the progress with your campaign?

Comment by pittisit37 02.13.13 @ 9:50 pm

I’m hearing that we have a coordinator! Panther lair seems to have more info but I am not a paid member. If somebody is that would be great to hear the latest news! Btw, I had a dinocat decal on my old car for 7 years. Not one comment, ever!!! I got a script pitt decal with the old growling panther and multiple comments!! Only had it for a few weeks! Script is so money!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 10:01 pm

Nothing on Panther lair

Comment by frankarms 02.13.13 @ 10:42 pm

I respectfully disagree with you notrocketscience. Kids of today, that are children of Pitt fans and Pitt grads, all know what Pitt script is. They’ve all seen it in there homes.

Apparently, players on the teams have publicly stated they love the Pitt script on Facebook and Twitter.

It’s not that long ago. I mean, it’s not like going back 60 years to get a uniform.

The tradition of Pitt, where most people know Pitt from, is from Dorsett till when they (HE) sold us out.

I would gather that most Pitt fans, college football fans, and sports fans with knowledge of the game, if given choices, would identify the Pitt Script uniforms, as identifying the University of Pittsburgh’s sports teams.

No, it’s not 1976. I find that invalid, as it was only interrupted by one individual, who thought he was a marketing genius.

Same old uniforms seems to work for Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Penn. State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and pretty much every other BCS team, other than the above mentioned, Oregon and Maryland.

Those two are the exception, and if you look hard enough, you may find one or two more.

The majority, have basically the same colors and logos they’ve always had, part of what makes college football so great. Tradition.

Yes, they’ve all updated their uniforms with updated saftey features in the helmet, and helmet design, and the uniforms are snugger and better fitting. But, Oklahoma looks today, what Oklahoma looked like when I was a kid.

Not talking about a “throw back” uniform worn once a year either. I’d be ok with that. Ohio St has done it, even ND this year with a shamrock on the helmet for a special game. I have no problem with that.

Not just top teams either. Indiana, Illinois, Miss State, Ole Miss etc. etc.

Anyhow, I really do respect your opinion, you certainly are entitled to it, and I am sure there are others like yours.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:16 pm

p.s. Someone asked Pittscript how his campaign was going.

Some may or may not know, I sent two separate letters, both written very professionally and respectfully, to six different people in the AD, including Steve P. and several other department heads.

I FedEx’d them. Have not heard a word. Address and work, home and cell phone numbers were on them.

All a moot point. At least I’ll know I went down swinging I suppose.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:18 pm

p.s.s. those that tire of the Pitt script talk…….

well, first of all, shouldn’t be a big deal, when I see something on here I don’t agree with, or has been hashed over quite a bit, guess what i do???

I just skip over it. But, I digress.

If this doesn’t happen in the spring, coordinated with spring ball and the blue gold game, I would imagine it’s not going to happen at all.

Why not use it, to pump up merchandise sales and get the base fired up over the summer, as opposed to trying to suprise everyone in Sept??

Anyhow, if not this spring, I will assume it’s a totally dead issue, and I will not waste your time this summer with posts on the Pitt script.

I don’t get much criticism, actually very little, but last fall, a guy came on here, just to tell me, “oh geez, Dan posting about Pitt script again, yay”.

I told him, that’s the first time I’ve even seen you post, and that’s all you got???

Secondly, why don’t you just skip over it, to the next comment, like most normal people do, and move along with your day.

I see plenty of the same stuff over and over, I don’t go around criticizing people though.

To point, if it ain’t done in the spring, won’t be getting done, and I won’t harp on it anymore.

I’m very passionate about it, but I will relent.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:29 pm

I wear my Pitt Script everywhere. By far the most recognized Pitt Uni ever.

Comment by frankarms 02.14.13 @ 1:53 am

@Dan
I seriously doubt you will get anything of substance from Pitt’s ADepartment.
IMO, They aren’t comfortable enough in their own skin to consider your thoughts as anything other than a threat.
It is the only “business” I have ever encountered that treats paying customers with contempt.

Comment by SFPitt 02.14.13 @ 12:42 pm

I think the Script is a good idea. New beginning and all. I certainly remember it as Marino throwing the ball down field as we won at PSU in 1980.

Comment by Frank MD 02.14.13 @ 12:50 pm

@Dan
I have no problem with you posting about the script or disagreeing with me. I actually preferred the script until recently. Maybe I gave up hope, lol.
I do like some of the bold Nike uniforms but it seems to be a roll of the dice. Oregon comes to mind. If you didn’t see the Army/Navy game this year, google Navy’s uniforms. They were incredible. Talk about breaking from tradition.
Maybe the script emblem, as it was, with updated uniforms.

Comment by notrocketscience 02.14.13 @ 2:42 pm