February 12, 2013

Fine, I’ll indulge in this. If for no other reason than to provide a post that is actually on the topic. Damn, the fact that Pitt basketball is off until Saturday!

No puffs of smoke from the South Side indicating that any hirings have been made for the DC position.

There are names drifting about, but it is also clear that no one is really sure how serious either side is in the gig. Pitt and Coach Chryst really have a handle on leaks. Government agencies could learn a few things from this.

Keep in mind, these are just rumored names. Don’t treat them as facts. Try not to freak out on the speculation too much. Please?

Here are the names:

Teryl Austin

Mike Archer

Greg Jackson

Mike Tomsula

Now, I’m going to dismiss Tomsula out of hand. The San Francisco 49ers D-line coach may be a native to the Western PA area, but all information on the guy says he is fast-tracking for bigger jobs. Plus, we went down that road before last year. So, let’s not worry about that one.

As for Greg Jackson. Well, he has the Wisconsin ties:

Jackson join San Francisco after having spent eight years coaching in the collegiate ranks. In 2010, he was the nickel back/assistant linebackers coach for a University of Wisconsin team that finished the year ranked seventh in the nation with an 11-2 record.

Jackson is a Miami native and played college ball at LSU. From a recruiting perspective that would be a positive.

The problem is Jackson is the Assistant Secondary Coach for the 49ers. His resume is way too thin for him to be under real consideration for the DC position.

Prior to joining the Badgers, Jackson coached at Tulane University, serving as the linebackers/kickoff team coach (2009), the safeties/kickoff team coach (2008) and the defensive backs coach (2007). Jackson spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach at Louisiana-Monroe (2004-06), where he coached All-Sun Belt Conference defensive back Chris Harris, who led the country with seven interceptions, in 2004. He also spent one year as the defensive backs coach for the University of Idaho (2003).

That is not the experience that will get you installed as the DC of any major conference football program. If, however, Matt House was going to be promoted from within, then Jackson to become the secondary coach would make a lot more sense.

/cue screams of blind rage from certain commenters

Mike Archer has been reportedly interviewed. Archer actually has DC experience. He was the DC at NC State from 2006-2012 under Notorious TOB. Archer found himself out of work after O’Brien was fired in favor of Dave Doeren — who before running NIU worked with Chryst at Wisconsin and hired Huxtable away from Pitt. So the circle would close.

Archer may — or may not — have had some flirtation with Pitt for the DC job last year.

He told Panther Digest on Monday that Pitt is a job he wouldn’t mind being considered for.

“Number one, I know the area,” Archer said. “Another thing, Pitt is coming into the ACC. I feel that’s an advantage for me, because I’ve coached in the league for the last five years. I know all about western Pennsylvania, and I know you can be successful if you recruit western Pennsylvania with eastern Ohio. I can still go into Miami. Florida is still big with Pitt.”

Archer is a native of State College, Pa., and went on to star as a defensive back at the University of Miami, where he graduated in 1976. He started his coaching career the second he graduated. He started off as a graduate assistant for the Hurricanes, then became a full-time assistant in 1978, spending six seasons, where he coached the defensive backs. That familiarity with western Pennsylvania was crucial then, as the Hurricanes were able to recruit quarterback Jim Kelly out of East Brady.

Archer then went to LSU, where he spent seven seasons with the Tigers, including a four-year stint as head coach from 1987-90. He was only 34 when he took over as head coach of the Tigers, and guided them to a 27-18-1 record over the four-year span.

Archer also spent 6 years with the Steelers as the linebackers coach (1996-2002).

Then, of course, there is Teryl Austin. Former Pitt player. Native of Sharon, PA. One year of college DC experience with Florida. Presently the secondary coach with the Baltimore Ravens.

He at least brings being an alumni and at least some DC experience.

That’s where things probably stand at the moment.

babich hired by jags jan 19 out of mix,dc is best kept secret ,haven;t seen any mentioned even close,hey pittscript, stutdent meeting next week on campus, thats the group u need to work ,with, also nike throw backs r approx 70,000, thats the problem

Comment by paul shannon 02.12.13 @ 10:54 pm

Pittscript…agree – I just sent an email to Junko – maybe you do the same with a link to your suggestions, or even send it to the whole athletic department!

Comment by markp 02.13.13 @ 6:55 am

i would not go to the athletic dept yet, it must come from the students

Comment by paul shannon 02.13.13 @ 7:20 am

Chryst will go through spring ball using his staff as co-defensive coordinators. A grad assistant will fill a position spot on the defense. At the end of spring ball, PC will evaluate the defense and make a decision on which way to go.
I am told this is plan for know…….

Comment by DJS 02.13.13 @ 8:34 am

Thats not a plan. Why are the simplest things always the most difficult for PITT? Hiring a DC should not be this complicated.

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 9:07 am

Wow! Talk about running the defense on the cheap if they go the above route. I hope our offense can put up a lot of points or this House guy is the real deal. Not liking this to much.

Comment by Why me 02.13.13 @ 9:20 am

why me DC33 i dont think that is the plan
they cant be that cheap or stupid
and if they are we wont win a game in the ACC
WE would look like fools.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.13.13 @ 9:29 am

Frankcan. I agree. It must be a money issue. This should be an easy process. Why do we always have some level of drama regarding this program. There appears to be plenty of talent available to hire an experienced coach. PC was already denied the Wisky job & I doubt he will appreciate PITT being tight w/cash. (if that is the case)

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 9:49 am

There is no money issue. Apparently however, there is a hiring issue.

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.13.13 @ 10:01 am

Ok. Lets call it a hiring issue. Surely PC does not have that many philosophical differences w/the talant available. Hire the best candidate that has the ability to adapt to the players & their talents.

Comment by DC33 02.13.13 @ 10:54 am

Pitt has been saving salary money since the old DC left. Pitt is getting more money when it goes into ACC on July 1. Sad if Pitt sacrifices a little money and not get a good DC.

Comment by Frank MD 02.13.13 @ 11:06 am

I am an eternal optimist… so if this show that PC is patient, knows what he wants, and just is not going to hire a ‘name’ or someone with a reputation, but rather he is going to take his time to find the right person who will fit from football philosophy and personality… then this is a good indicator for the future of this program.

there is an optimist’s take on this…

Comment by Pittscript 02.13.13 @ 11:19 am

If everyone on the board gets a raise, does it automatically make you better at your job?

Comment by sfpitt 02.13.13 @ 11:46 am

@gotalovepitt, I understand your sentiment. I, as a proponet of restoring the Pitt script, actually think the Pitt block lettering is not bad. Very collegiate looking, as opposed to the Panthersaurus.

I understand your point about “past glory”.

However, a couple thoughts. First of all, it’s not like we’d be going back to uniforms from 50 years ago. It’s still relatively not that long ago that they were changed.

Secondly, as Pitt script mentioned, college football is about tradition. Wins and losses don’t matter either. Uniforms in college are very recognizable, and part of that tradition.

Almost all of the BCS conference teams have the same uniforms. Yes, adjustments and little things as time moves on and things get updated.

In general though, you can turn a college football game on, and most of us know who is playing by uniforms in a few seconds.

Ya, a few have changed, those are all carnival salesman using gimmicks to sell a few jerseys.

I don’t have a problem with once a year, having an alternate jersy or a throwback jersey, sell your jerseys that way.

Also, it still bugs me, that it was changed, by an outsider, for solely marketing purposes. Had it been changed by a Pitt guy, with Pitt fans blessings, maybe I’d feel differently.

Also, what better marketing now, to sell more merchandise than going back to the script and colors.

My percentages of what will happen with the uni’s.

1. Nothing %80

2. Returning to Pitt script, with the Ath. Dept. mucking it up, by putting a purple stripe on the helmet, or neon green dot, dotting the eye, or having 12 different variations of blue and gold making us look ridiculous. %15

3. Returning to Pitt script and colors, with updated amenities and updated fit, but looking like the Pitt most of us love. %5

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 12:11 pm

p.s. @gotalovepitt. You may be suprised to know, I’m with you in one way.

I would prefer to stay the same as we are now, if they were gonna bring Pitt script back, and make it some kind of futuristic thing, with wild crazy uniforms ala Oregon and Maryland.

I want nothing to do with that.

Do it the right way, or don’t bother.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 12:17 pm

If I am not mistaken, Pitt’s run with the current emblem is gaining on the length of time they wore the script. The players being recruited have no memory of the script, in fact I would bet most of them love uniforms like Oregon wears. This is not 1976 gentlemen.

Pitt script 1973 to 1996, 23 years
Pitt block 1997 to 2013, 16 years

If you want to talk real tradition you have to go back to no emblem. Plain gold or blue helmets that may have a stripe.

The current emblem is good. I like the modern uniforms if they are done correctly like Oregon and Navy.

Comment by notrocketscience 02.13.13 @ 4:03 pm

notrocketscience,

I think it was
Pitt script 1973 to 1996, 23 years
Pittsburgh block with the “swamp monster” logo 1997 to 2004, 8 years
Pitt block 2005 to 2012, 8 years

The Pitt script with the royal blue and yellow gold colors is a very distinctive look. It represents the only period of success that we have had in living memory.

BTW, I think the colors go back even a lot longer than the script, perhaps to the ’60s.

Comment by Houston Panther 02.13.13 @ 4:46 pm

The recruits actually like the script pitt! Check shells Facebook along with many others! We are not navy!! We are pitt! Now is the time! Send messages and get the word out. Start out with a game or two with the throwbacks and see how sales do! I bet great!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 5:17 pm

is chryst such an offensive coach that he doesn’t need a defensive coordinator?

Comment by pittisit37 02.13.13 @ 6:18 pm

Everyone should relax a little, this is the way he operates. Very hush hush, CIA like. My guess is they have their guy or close to it and are working on the contract stuff. Sam Warner will be reporting on it soon. Hopefully! In my opinion teryl austin makes the most sense. He has experience on different levels and positions and has been coordinator before. Being a Pitt guy is an added bonus! I mean he was on some short lists to be our head coach. And if Chryst does bolt in three or four years, then we have our man just in case.

How cool would Labor Day night be at Heinz field vs Fsu with 60,000 plus and the panthers come out in the script! Place would go bananas!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 7:23 pm

Thanks for positive comments.

The fact remains if you look from a distance at a TV screen today you cannot distinguish Pitt from the blur of bland colors, compared to schools with distinctiveness. Today’s Pitt colors and logo are bland without any identity.

Comment by Pittscript 02.13.13 @ 8:20 pm

so pittscript what is the progress with your campaign?

Comment by pittisit37 02.13.13 @ 9:50 pm

I’m hearing that we have a coordinator! Panther lair seems to have more info but I am not a paid member. If somebody is that would be great to hear the latest news! Btw, I had a dinocat decal on my old car for 7 years. Not one comment, ever!!! I got a script pitt decal with the old growling panther and multiple comments!! Only had it for a few weeks! Script is so money!!!

Comment by Sweet Caroline 02.13.13 @ 10:01 pm

Nothing on Panther lair

Comment by frankarms 02.13.13 @ 10:42 pm

I respectfully disagree with you notrocketscience. Kids of today, that are children of Pitt fans and Pitt grads, all know what Pitt script is. They’ve all seen it in there homes.

Apparently, players on the teams have publicly stated they love the Pitt script on Facebook and Twitter.

It’s not that long ago. I mean, it’s not like going back 60 years to get a uniform.

The tradition of Pitt, where most people know Pitt from, is from Dorsett till when they (HE) sold us out.

I would gather that most Pitt fans, college football fans, and sports fans with knowledge of the game, if given choices, would identify the Pitt Script uniforms, as identifying the University of Pittsburgh’s sports teams.

No, it’s not 1976. I find that invalid, as it was only interrupted by one individual, who thought he was a marketing genius.

Same old uniforms seems to work for Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Penn. State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and pretty much every other BCS team, other than the above mentioned, Oregon and Maryland.

Those two are the exception, and if you look hard enough, you may find one or two more.

The majority, have basically the same colors and logos they’ve always had, part of what makes college football so great. Tradition.

Yes, they’ve all updated their uniforms with updated saftey features in the helmet, and helmet design, and the uniforms are snugger and better fitting. But, Oklahoma looks today, what Oklahoma looked like when I was a kid.

Not talking about a “throw back” uniform worn once a year either. I’d be ok with that. Ohio St has done it, even ND this year with a shamrock on the helmet for a special game. I have no problem with that.

Not just top teams either. Indiana, Illinois, Miss State, Ole Miss etc. etc.

Anyhow, I really do respect your opinion, you certainly are entitled to it, and I am sure there are others like yours.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:16 pm

p.s. Someone asked Pittscript how his campaign was going.

Some may or may not know, I sent two separate letters, both written very professionally and respectfully, to six different people in the AD, including Steve P. and several other department heads.

I FedEx’d them. Have not heard a word. Address and work, home and cell phone numbers were on them.

All a moot point. At least I’ll know I went down swinging I suppose.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:18 pm

p.s.s. those that tire of the Pitt script talk…….

well, first of all, shouldn’t be a big deal, when I see something on here I don’t agree with, or has been hashed over quite a bit, guess what i do???

I just skip over it. But, I digress.

If this doesn’t happen in the spring, coordinated with spring ball and the blue gold game, I would imagine it’s not going to happen at all.

Why not use it, to pump up merchandise sales and get the base fired up over the summer, as opposed to trying to suprise everyone in Sept??

Anyhow, if not this spring, I will assume it’s a totally dead issue, and I will not waste your time this summer with posts on the Pitt script.

I don’t get much criticism, actually very little, but last fall, a guy came on here, just to tell me, “oh geez, Dan posting about Pitt script again, yay”.

I told him, that’s the first time I’ve even seen you post, and that’s all you got???

Secondly, why don’t you just skip over it, to the next comment, like most normal people do, and move along with your day.

I see plenty of the same stuff over and over, I don’t go around criticizing people though.

To point, if it ain’t done in the spring, won’t be getting done, and I won’t harp on it anymore.

I’m very passionate about it, but I will relent.

Comment by Dan 02.13.13 @ 11:29 pm

I wear my Pitt Script everywhere. By far the most recognized Pitt Uni ever.

Comment by frankarms 02.14.13 @ 1:53 am

@Dan
I seriously doubt you will get anything of substance from Pitt’s ADepartment.
IMO, They aren’t comfortable enough in their own skin to consider your thoughts as anything other than a threat.
It is the only “business” I have ever encountered that treats paying customers with contempt.

Comment by SFPitt 02.14.13 @ 12:42 pm

I think the Script is a good idea. New beginning and all. I certainly remember it as Marino throwing the ball down field as we won at PSU in 1980.

Comment by Frank MD 02.14.13 @ 12:50 pm

@Dan
I have no problem with you posting about the script or disagreeing with me. I actually preferred the script until recently. Maybe I gave up hope, lol.
I do like some of the bold Nike uniforms but it seems to be a roll of the dice. Oregon comes to mind. If you didn’t see the Army/Navy game this year, google Navy’s uniforms. They were incredible. Talk about breaking from tradition.
Maybe the script emblem, as it was, with updated uniforms.

Comment by notrocketscience 02.14.13 @ 2:42 pm