February 2, 2013

Another game another work-related DVR-delay. Been a sparse week for posting and work has been the primary reason. A mix of stuff due. Re-re-jiggering my schedule now that we got another car. And just planning ahead to clear things for me to just sit in front of the laptop all day on Signing Day.

This isn’t a must-win, but it is a game Pitt could really use. The only “resume” win for Pitt came at Georgetown. It’s a very good win, but it is also the only win against a team that I am sure will make the NCAA Tournament.

Much is made of the Orange’s lack of depth for this game. That’s a minor issue. They are still, very good with those seven players. Plus with Syracuse being a zone defense team, fouls are rarely a big issue. I just don’t see them getting that worn down to be a major factor.

It’s a nooner on ESPN.

Oh, and Coach Paul Chryst is hosting 35 high school juniors at the game. Big recruiting weekend for the 2014 class. So, a wild atmosphere and a win would probably be a plus.

The Pete is a great place to take the football recruits. It will be, without a doubt, an electric atmosphere today. I remember Dave Wannstedt also took advantage of the basketball games. It’s really a big game and I’m sure it will be a lot of fun for the junior day players. It’s a great way to spend a cold winter day, to be there with the Oakland Zoo in full force. Go Panthers and…………..Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 8:07 am

If memory serves, the last time we hosted Cuse, we scored the first 19 points and they come back and scored the next 17 points (or something like that) … all that matters is that we ended up with a W.

Same as today … if we are going to win, we will probably have to win ugly. I know we do not match up well since we cannot watch Michael Carter William man-to-man (just conjecture), we just hope they are not hitting from the perimeter and can’t give them too many easy buckets on turnovers.

I have a feeling that the 2 recently maligned Talib and JJ will step up since the 4 position has always been key for Pitt breakng up their zone .. but I’m just an optomistic fan so what do i know?

Comment by wbb 02.02.13 @ 8:14 am

Zanna is the key today against the zone. If he doesn’t play well it’ll be a long game.

Comment by Velvil 02.02.13 @ 8:21 am

If Pitt makes their FT’s, they will win! Given their current FT percentage, this will be no easy win.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by MariettaMike 02.02.13 @ 8:29 am

I am so pumped for this game!!…gotta come out with a W!!…h2p!

Comment by Keith 02.02.13 @ 8:49 am

Remember anything is possible! Pitt normally plays well against Syracuse. Also, the game IS at the Pete.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 9:10 am

I sure as hell wish that our local blue chip receivers would listen more to their moms

link to triblive.com

Comment by wbb 02.02.13 @ 9:12 am

wbb, As much as I would like to see him choose Pitt, I’m not going to worry about it. Pitt has a darn good class coming in and by all accounts WPIAL’s next 2 classes, 2014 and 2015 are loaded. The have some good options at quarter back going forward and Chryst is really bringing in offensive linemen.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 9:30 am

Speaking of DW, he is once again on an NFL staff…Special teams coach for Bucs…Win over Cuse would be highly impressive. As usual that team is loaded.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.02.13 @ 9:36 am

I’m kind of bumming we didn’t get JoJo Kemp.
I guess I’m the only one no mention in the news.

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 02.02.13 @ 10:00 am

Pitt -3.5 ?!?!?

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.02.13 @ 10:00 am

Agree on Zanna being a key to victory. He is just in a slump. I would expect some drop-off for BE play, but that has nothing to do with missing open layups or the decrease in his FT %. I think he will bounce back.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.02.13 @ 10:09 am

WVU is past its prime. Crowds will dwindle (as they did even with Heisman winner Geno). Their coach got exposed with great talent on hand.
Their supposed fan support wanes dramaticall as the L’s add up. Just like everyone else.
If someone wants to get a meaningless degree, WVU is as good as anywhere else.
As for today, I look for a grinding game and I use all 10 and play aggressive and force the Orange Irish to foul and get to their bench.

Comment by SFPitt 02.02.13 @ 10:21 am

In the past Jamie Dixon has been good at exploiting the middle of the Syracuse zone. I don’t any team that has been more successful at it than Pitt. He’s done it with Chevy Toutman and Nasir Robinson, so today should be interesting.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 10:22 am

Zanna, Moore, and Adams working the high low will get the attention for working the pass, but to me, it’s always finishing. If Patterson, Johnson, Wright, Taylor, et all FINISH, we win. Make your bunnies, make your FTs, Drain a couple threes, and hold perimeter defense. Won’t be easy, but definitely a must win.

Comment by Pauly P 02.02.13 @ 10:58 am

Get up on Syracuse and make em play from behind. To me, that is the only way Pitt wins this game.
A very bad matchup inside for Pitt.

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 11:45 am

Justinian, I don’t disagree. I really believe the commits like Challingworth and Weah will step in a couple years to be good WRs. But I guess it’s like an ego thing, I just hate seeing many of the local blue chips get awy especially when Pitt was a serious consideration.

Comment by wbb 02.02.13 @ 11:57 am

Let’s go Pitt!

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:01 pm

Len Elmore is always a big bag of excitement when he’s on the mic. ZZZzzzzzzzzzz…

Comment by ECH 02.02.13 @ 12:02 pm

Zanna and Adams missing the bunnies, how does a 6 8 guy get blocked so often?

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:07 pm

sigh. zanna is so weak, soft, awkward. i’m beyond getting upset/frustrated about it. he is who he is.

Comment by scott 02.02.13 @ 12:12 pm

Ice cold start

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 12:16 pm

bad shooting at home ???

Comment by Frank MD 02.02.13 @ 12:17 pm

Missing our threes making their threes. Not the start we wanted, very very cold.

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:17 pm

Pitt getting manhandled inside and out. They score on transition, we have trouble getting to the rim

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 12:17 pm

Now Adams limping, what is going on?

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:19 pm

Turned ankle for Steve. Fantastic.

Comment by MikePitt 02.02.13 @ 12:19 pm

PLEASE -stop putting the ball on the floor in the paint! or hesitating! Go right up with the ball..PLEASE

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 12:28 pm

That’s how you do it. Team effort.

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:31 pm

Looks like transition points will be huge today

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 12:32 pm

jj moore couldn’t make the play fair just made if his life depended on it. #limitedoffensiveskillset

Comment by scott 02.02.13 @ 12:37 pm

Adams has to take the wide open shot.

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:39 pm

My God– I love Adams, but he has got to be the softest 7 footer I have seen on the offense side in decades.

Comment by Pauly P 02.02.13 @ 12:39 pm

ugly first half…I’ll ask again..who the leader of this team?…someone needs to step up

Comment by Keith 02.02.13 @ 12:47 pm

Pitt 50% from FT line does not bode well for a win unless they improve their FT’s in second half.

Comment by MariettaMike 02.02.13 @ 12:50 pm

Need to keep Sleepy out of foul trouble and on the court, he makes a huge difference vs. that zone. Gotta box on D, Syracuse getting a lot of put backs. Man are they athletic. Overall good half after a cold start.

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 12:51 pm

If we can stay close, we can tire this Syracuse team out. Cannot let them get a big second half lead.

I would kill for 60% from the line in the second half.

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 12:52 pm

Based on bench scoring, the leaders are the bench-warmers which is the problem with this Pitt team.

Comment by MariettaMike 02.02.13 @ 12:53 pm

27 total points, but 10 players have scored. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that. I Pitt wears them out with that balance and the crowd seems to be as into it as I’ve ever seen/heard.
Go Pitt!

Comment by KeyboardKev 02.02.13 @ 12:53 pm

Keith, Woodall is the leader of this team, good or bad. Taylor finally putting it all together. Everyone contributing.

To play that poorly and be up at the half, wow!

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 12:59 pm

nice! zeigler = wannamaker vs. cuse zone. like it.

Comment by scott 02.02.13 @ 1:09 pm

Woodall is maddening to watch. He should be smarter by now.

Ziegler is a stud.

Comment by Velvil 02.02.13 @ 1:10 pm

tweet from pat forde: Pitt can really pass. Imagine if Pitt could shoot.

amen. esp from the FT line.

Comment by scott 02.02.13 @ 1:10 pm

Is it possible that Zeigler may actually be the best player on the team?

Comment by Vulcan Rob 02.02.13 @ 1:10 pm

Starting to love Trey Zeigler

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 1:12 pm

A few weeks ago I made a strong defense for Zanna and even proclaimed that he’d be a 2nd-round NBA draft pick.
While I still think he has a possible future in the pros, I’d like to apologize to whomever I called out for dissing Zanna. You’re all right: he really is a weak post player, and it took me until now to realize it.

Comment by MikePITT 02.02.13 @ 1:14 pm

Robinson and Woodall share minutes; ziegler stays on the floor. Need his offense

Comment by Velvil 02.02.13 @ 1:15 pm

Pitt getting the short-end on foul calls. What’s with that.

Comment by MariettaMike 02.02.13 @ 1:25 pm

Damn Sleepy, you gotta bury that dunk

Comment by Kenny Powers 02.02.13 @ 1:30 pm

Feeling like a first one to 50 wins kinda game…

Comment by Pauly P 02.02.13 @ 1:37 pm

Burr is a terrible ref. Has always been bad news for Pitt. We need Patterson or Ziegler to ta ke thi game over.

Comment by Velvil 02.02.13 @ 1:37 pm

Mea culpa accepted Mike.

Pitt needs to stop with the fancy interior passes and get the ball up to the glass which they own.

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 1:37 pm

Jim Burr has always reminded me of a homeless bum.

Comment by Outlaw 02.02.13 @ 1:45 pm

Syracuse will now start sending Pitt to the line…

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 1:49 pm

Truly believe this team will be a pain in the as for others come march. They seem to be getting better as a group every game.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 02.02.13 @ 1:50 pm

5 out of 10 from the line. Such BS

Comment by Kenny Powers 02.02.13 @ 1:53 pm

Pitt in very dangerous territory with turnover against the press and missed FT’s by Patterson.

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 1:55 pm

Great win by Pitt but could we please make our fts!

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 1:59 pm

Win ugly win Big! Trolls go home.

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 2:05 pm

Great win …we owned the boards. Got the Louisville Syracuse split. Many future Pitt Football players see a great game.

HTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 2:07 pm

A huge win! H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 02.02.13 @ 2:07 pm

14-21 FTs thanks to Woodall. Pitt just has Cuse’s number. Nice win, bring on The Hall.

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 2:09 pm

Our rebounding carried the day. Huzzah! H2P!

Comment by Shawn 02.02.13 @ 2:09 pm

Glad to get the W, still a lot of warts to this team but I’m encouraged that they seem to keep making improvements. Excluding FTs of course.

Comment by Kenny Powers 02.02.13 @ 2:11 pm

More than pitt having cuse’s number. Very balanced unselfish team that is lacking that great player to take them deep in then tourney. A great win.

Comment by Velvil 02.02.13 @ 2:12 pm

I think the main reason we do so well agianst the Cuse is due to is much easier offensive rebounding vs the zone.

4 out of 5 now and out only loss was at LVille when we played like crap and only lost by 3.

The bad news is that we still have a lot to improve upon … which is also the good news!

Comment by wbb 02.02.13 @ 2:14 pm

We needed this win…good win…take care the the hall monday…and hopefully split road games at cincy and marquette…h2p

Comment by Keith 02.02.13 @ 2:27 pm

Maybe this is something new, for JD and Pitt.

Start getting good in February and go hot into the Dance rather than peaking in December and fading by March.

H2P

Comment by BATR 02.02.13 @ 2:34 pm

Dan 72: Thank you for your generosity. What we can both hopefully agree on is that Zanna has terrific potential with his combination of size and mid-range shooting ability. If he and Steve can both grow together, toughness-wise, I see big things for this team going into March. H2P.

Comment by MikePITT 02.02.13 @ 2:40 pm

I hope all the Junior day recuits, had a terrific time at the win over Syracuse.

It was a great win Jamie Dixon and his improving Pitt Panthers. Steven Adams got into the offensive flow in the 2nd half they did a good job over all.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 2:46 pm

I agree with BATR: and the stupid loss to Rutgers in the beginning of the season that we can grow from, rather than a stupid loss in late February that’s the beginning of the end!

Comment by Rieur1114 02.02.13 @ 2:49 pm

Zanna did have 12 rebounds but it was a TEAM effort if I ever saw one

Comment by wbb 02.02.13 @ 3:03 pm

foot ball recruiting we have 27 commits as of today
on loi day i think we lose one and end up signing
26 i think that will be the nummber this year that
that is how i see it i would have liked 29 but
i think that is how it plays out.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.02.13 @ 3:25 pm

wbb, Yes, a team win it was. Everyone scored. I thought they played a tough game. They hung in there and contunied to play hard, even when Syracure got easy baskets. I think they still need to shoot better from the foul line. Today the Panthers got production from the center position with Adams and Taylor combining for 14 points. I thought Adams’ 2nd half play made a big difference in the outcome.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 3:29 pm

Frank, Did you hear anything about Junior Day? Chryst was supposed to have 35 prospects at today’s game.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 3:32 pm

Woooohooooooo

Oy Vey,

Signature WIN, Signature WIN, Signature WIN

Did I say Signature Win !

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 3:35 pm

We have now beaten #19 Georgetown (actually destroyed them by over 30 points)

And #6 Syracuse Orangemen by 10 !

Maybe we get back into the Top 25 come Monday !

This game should give us a big confidence boost.

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 3:40 pm

Check out “A Big Day for Pitt Athletics” about the win over Syracuse and the football recruits on hand to experience the Oakland Zoo and home games at the Pete.

link to panthersprey.blogspot.com

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 3:41 pm

10-3 vs. some very good Syracuse teams under Dixon. I’d say that’s having a teams number. That doesn’t mean it’s luck. Pitt has been good during that time as well. But more than that, Pitt’s strengths match Syracuse’s weaknesses. Every year.

Every team has a bogey team. Pitt’s has been ND. Pitt is that team for Syracuse.

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 3:42 pm

What’s everyone still asleep today, less than 80 comments and SUCH A BIG GAME !

The Shame, the shame. lol

Hail to Pitt !

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 3:44 pm

That’s right Iron Duke

We’ve pretty much owned Cuse in the last decade.

Football too ….except for this year.

Oh the shame

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 3:46 pm

Justinian i am sure the football players had
a great time the zoo was rocking i think we do well
in recruiting next year.

way to go hail to pitt

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.02.13 @ 3:49 pm

Love how Dixon keeps saying we’re ten strong. Its true and great. I kinda wonder what the other two guys on the team are thinking. J/k.

Comment by PantherP 02.02.13 @ 3:52 pm

Just got home from the game EMEL!!!

Don’t know if I’ve heard the place that loud before. I’m sure it has for some big games, put this one on that list too, place was absolutely bonkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, 9 and 2 over the last 11!! That’s pretty much owning someone!!!

Jamie 10-3 overall as IronDuke said.

Great game, fantastic atmosphere!!!

Comment by Dan 02.02.13 @ 3:58 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think that’s about 6 wins out of the last 7. 6-1. I may be off.

Comment by Dan 02.02.13 @ 4:10 pm

Alright Dan-o

See you go to the game and we win.
So you need to go to every game !!! lol

Pitt has won 5 of the last 6 in the BigEast.

Which after the Marquette game, I think all of us would have been quite happy with.

Good to hear it was a great atmosphere, with Junior Day happening. Back when I was at PITT most all the Saturday games were at 8pm and that gave everyone a chance to liquor up. And the Field House would rock with Tiger Paul doing his famous slide routine in front of the student section. Those were fun days.

Let’s Go Pitt !

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 4:22 pm

This team is a classic Jaime Dixon team…They don’t look pretty doing it, but they can play at high levels due to their efficient results. Man, if they could just make most of their put backs under the basket and improve their FT shooting, this team would stand a great chance against the elite teams in college BB. I won’t call the Cuse team we beat today “elite” because they played without 2 of their top 6 players. Even without them, Cuse has a very talented team. HTP

Comment by HbgFrank 02.02.13 @ 4:29 pm

DePaul took ND to OT before losing 71-79.

Our next opponent (Seton Hall) lost to UC 59-65

There are 21 ranked teams in action today.

I’ll predict at least 33% of em will LOSE !

Comment by EMel 02.02.13 @ 4:36 pm

Fantastic win. If Adams returns next year, Pitt is preseason top five without a doubt.

Comment by PatMac 02.02.13 @ 4:42 pm

Pitt outrebounded Cuse 35 – 24 Enough said

Mike – On Zanna, no one wants him to play better more than I do. Pitt’s fortunese litterally depend on his improved play but he is so out- manned when playing a good defensive player that I would prefer him just to take the occasional short jumper and a few dunks. He cannot handle the ball at all in traffic and puts the ball on the floor 80% time in the paint. I really prefer him coming off the bench but there are no replacements for the 12 rebounds he got today and the grit he played with on the inside.

Comment by Dan 72 02.02.13 @ 4:46 pm

Tim Duncan stayed all 4 years in college and it certainly didn’t hurt his NBA career. Actually Chris Taft and Jarome Lane really needed to work on their shots. If they had stayed in college another year or two and worked and developed their offensive games, they may lasted in the NBA.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 4:58 pm

Oh God I hope the national storyline from this game is not going to be how this win was the result of Syracuse struggling w/out Southerland and Coleman rather than the result of a Pitt team on the rise.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Pitt improved in the last month. This is not the same team that lost the Rutgers.

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 5:06 pm

Great team win. Nothing I like better than to a see a senior step up like Dante has these last couple of games! Many of us can see the future in Adams and Zeigler. Hope the kid’s eye is okay. As for Zanna (wimpy) there is always the ACC. He left the game @ 14:10 and JJ replaced him. We thereby picked up some foul shots, a good pass to Cam for a 3 and more energy courtesy of Moore. Wish Jamie would stick with JJ and let his mistakes ride. He seems to be jerked out quicker than anyone for a mistake. I think it messes with his game always looking to the bench. Hail to Pitt! UPone

Comment by UPone 02.02.13 @ 5:08 pm

UPone — Agreed about your note on JJ getting pulled more quickly than others. It seems to be the case that his mistakes are untimely long jumpers as opposed to other types of mental errors that coaches can live with.
Also on JJ — If I remember correctly, he was recruited as a finesse, athletic type of player who could get to the rim and put the ball in the basket. This year, he’s gravitated more and more to the 3-point line and can’t seem to find his way back inside of the arc. Any thoughts on that by anyone?

Comment by MikePITT 02.02.13 @ 5:56 pm

Emel, you know that a win always gets half the comments. Without the trolls and the usual bitching and whining, Jamie should be fired, no Miller time from Frankan etc.

Who knows whats going to happen next,but we sure appear to be getting better. Yeah we got a break today with the Cuse losing two players, but that’s all part of it.

After a slow start today Adams just keeps getting better. Taylor looking so much more confident. Zanna still struggling offensively picks off 12 boards today and 10 against Louisville. Woodall was strong today as was Ziegler. Patterson and Moore driving to the hoop. Robinson was solid and Johnson with a dagger when needed most. Wright with strong D and a timely three.

Jamie masterful.

Wonderful day for recruiting Football stars.

Keep practicing the foul shots and who knows.

Let’s beat Seton Hall and payback time vs Cinci and Marquette.

Anyway, enjoy the moment.

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 6:06 pm

Coming into the Louisville and Syracuse games, I thought winning one would be big. As it turns out Pitt should have won both games. Playing at louisville as hard as they played and shooting only 25% from the free throw line was tough to take. They are playing well right now and they seem to be getting better.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 6:27 pm

Boeheim says Pitt the best team they played ” it’s not even close”

Wow

Comment by gc 02.02.13 @ 6:29 pm

Big win for Pitt. Need to keep plugging away. This team is getting better every week. If they can close out the year with a few road wins, then Pitt can earn a decent seed in the NCAA tourney. I like this team’s chances. Id they can get to the second weekend of the NCAA tourney, then a few lucky bounces can get them to the final 4.

Steve Adams has completely changed this team defensively. The team is very good defensively when he is on the floor. His offense is coming around as well. The kid is a game changing talent. If he continues to improve, then he can help this team do some great things.

Comment by Omar 02.02.13 @ 6:33 pm

Bummer, Jerome Betis was not voted into the Football Hall of Fame. That’s bullshit. I was listening to FAN when Ed Boushette was talking about it and he said they have all these guys who are into stats. Their argument is that he has a 3.9 yard avarage. That’s because he has a lot of 1 and 2 yard touchdown and firstdown runs. All you had to do is to watch him play. If they saw him late in his carreer against Chicago in the snow, when ran over Brian Orlacker and all over Chicago defense. It was a must win and he was unstopable.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 6:46 pm

Kudos to the Zoo .. the football recruits walk in front of them to get to their seats .. when the first one started past, the entire Zoo stood and applauded .. they stood and clapped – interspersed with “Let’s go Pitt” cheers until every recruit had passed them .. parents and players were taking pictures as they passed .. the entire building was rocking during the game and very few left before it ended .. had to be impressed …

Comment by Hoopzebra 02.02.13 @ 6:51 pm

Hoopzebra, That sounds like it was terrific experience for them. What a game to go with your campus visit. I sounds like a day that wiil stay with them.

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 7:05 pm

Comment by Justinian 02.02.13 @ 7:05 pm

Per gc’s post, here’s an article with the quote. I have a lot of respect for Boeheim, not just because he said this and we always beat them (haha). Not saying he’s a saint, but he has far more class than the Calhouns and Pitino’s of the world. And his wife is smokin’ hot.

link to nydailynews.com

Comment by Iron Duke 02.02.13 @ 7:05 pm

Tons of ranked teams lost today. Could be ranked next week.

Comment by MikePITT 02.02.13 @ 7:07 pm

The Zoo was awesome! The standing O for the recruits was unbelievable. How could any high school junior not be moved by that?

Comment by Gas 02.02.13 @ 7:34 pm

it was a nice win and dixon is a good coach but
if we want to go to the next level it needs to be
miller time.

that is what i think right or wrong i just think
we would be better with miller.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.02.13 @ 7:51 pm

omg…sick of hearing that.

Comment by panther94 02.02.13 @ 8:03 pm

Some notes from today:
1. Noon game. We won.
2. Something about a cold day in February to bring fans at the Pete to their highest level.
3. I contrast Syracuse with WVUlgar. I admire the Orange. I want to shower twice after playing the incest squad.
4. Wonder what Adams would play like if he spent the last 5 years in the states?
5. Winning breeds winning.
6. On post game, JD said “I’m gonna have to learn how to play 10 guys because that is our strength.”
7. Tray Z looks like a steal now. Grateful for the eligibility.
8. I like spending the rest of the day watching a final score like that scroll across the bottom of the screen for all to see.
9. Kansas lost at home to an unranked team. CBB is wide open.
10. The recruits at the game saw what happens when Pitt challenges itself. There is a reason they bring recruits to big games even with the possibility of losing. PLAYING IN BIG GAMES MEANS YOU LOSE SOMETIMES: it ain’t the end of the world if you don’t.
11. Wear gold at home all the time.
12. Thankfully Adams did not shave.

Comment by SFPitt 02.02.13 @ 8:16 pm

SF:
5. After last season (starting BE with 7 Ls), It is much nicer to have this contagion.
7. And earlier this season I was wishing Ziegler would never get off of the bench. Now I agree with you. He was a steal.
12. Yeah, It looked like a couple days growth.

Comment by xfmrman 02.02.13 @ 9:10 pm

I hope that Boyd was home today watching this game with his Clairton “bros” and fellow Pitt recruits Webb and Howard. If there remained any “confusion” in Tyler’s mind on where he wants to play his college football, after watching that game with his buddies slappin high fives and trading chest bumps with each other, decison final. Hail to Pitt M*th^rFu#ker!! Boyd be a Panther for sure.

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.02.13 @ 10:19 pm

Go Pitt Go Pitt Go Pitt!!!

Comment by Pitt Is IT 02.02.13 @ 10:22 pm

I like the emotion Dr. Tom and I hope you’re right.

Comment by panther94 02.02.13 @ 10:25 pm

Good win. Zanna needs to sit, Moore or Taylor need to start. Taylor has put in the effort and deserves it.

Comment by Carmen 02.02.13 @ 10:32 pm

Game day crew gives Pitt some love at half time of Mich vs Indiana game…Called us “under valued”.

Comment by HbgFrank 02.02.13 @ 10:41 pm

Those were good times EMEL. Tiger Paul!!! LOL

I used to think he escaped from the looney bin, but people have told me he was a legit businessman or lawyer or something.

The Field House, the heat, my God the heat!!!!!

I remember walking in their for a UCONN game, was about zero degrees out, wind howling!!!!!!!!

Within a minute had my jacket off, and two minutes later my sweatshirt off, down to a tee shirt.

Tix were on the side, but way up high. A sauna if ever there was one!!!

Comment by Dan 02.02.13 @ 11:38 pm

lol I heard Tiger Paul worked for the old Pittsburgh Press and he drove one of their trucks that dropped off newspapers everywhere.

When the old Fieldhouse rocked and the stands shook sometimes I thought it might tumble down off the perch it sat on.

I think I hit my 33% prediction rate of Top 25 teams losing today.

21 were playing I mentioned in an earlier post

I have 7 losing so far:

#6 Syracuse (of course)
#2 Kansas lost to Okie State
#22 SDSU lost to Air Force
#10 Oregon lost to Cal
#15 Wichita State lost
#16 Mississippi lost
#19 NC State lost to Miami

7 of 21 = 33 % ( nailed it) :-)

Comment by EMel 02.03.13 @ 12:03 am

some props: link to espn.go.com

Comment by panther94 02.03.13 @ 12:06 am

From what I remember, the woman who coach the cheerleaders was jealous that Tiger Paul elicited more energy from the crowd than the cheerleaders did.

So she had him banned. The biotch. haha

Comment by EMel 02.03.13 @ 12:08 am

Add #1 Michigan losing to IU.

Comment by EMel 02.03.13 @ 12:36 am

Boeheim’s comments after Saturday’s game and Matt Driscoll’s after the North Fla game bode well for Pitt to move up in the Coaches Poll.
Unless it was hypebole from Boeheim, Pitt should receive at least one first place vote. ;-)

Comment by xfmrman 02.03.13 @ 12:42 am

When Pitt got only one vote in the coaches poll, I would bet it was Driscoll’s.

Comment by xfmrman 02.03.13 @ 12:44 am

FRANKCAN–Respect your Miller opinion–but, as much as I like Miller as a former Pitt player and having a successful coaching career elsewhere, IMHO, I think you might only see the the tourney once every third or fourth year with him. I don’t think his teams would be as consistently good as Dixon’s. I know some would trade less frequency of NCAA appearances for making a final four once or twice a decade and think Miller (or another coach) might bring that result. But, I prefer the consistency we have now and wouldn’t want to risk losing it for a result that is not guaranteed. You could hire Miller, and he might be a total failure at Pitt. Making such a change is simply not worth the risk unless you have to make it because Dixon has moved on. “The far off hills alwas look greener” as the old expression goes!

Comment by pitt1972 02.03.13 @ 7:47 am

after Tiger Paul got banned, didn’t some members of the football team take offense and start leading cheers on their own? I seem to remember something like that

Comment by wbb 02.03.13 @ 7:51 am

prior to his stint at Arizona, Miller would have jumped at a chance to coach Pitt. Now I’m not so sure …. not that he wouldn’t like returning home to coach his alma mater, but he may be laying some roots out there.

If Dixon ever does leave for a West coast job, Miller should be the first one to be contacted but I wouldn’t count on him coming back

Comment by wbb 02.03.13 @ 7:56 am

EMel, You have right. It was the cheerleader coach who got Tiger Paul banned. Shortly after that former Pitt coach Tim Girgerich, who was Jerry Tartanian’s top assistant at Nevada Las Vegs, hired Tiger Paul. So Paul moved to Las Vegas and would fire up the fans in Las Vegas.

Comment by Justinian 02.03.13 @ 8:11 am

wbb, Yes given the opportunity I aggree that Miller would have jumped at the Pitt job. But Arizona is big time program and destination job in basketball. Also he has revitalized the program there. So like Jamie Dixon who was here here with Howland when they turned things around at Pitt, Miller has ownership in the program. I don’t think he ever leave Arizona.

Comment by Justinian 02.03.13 @ 8:22 am

@Panther94, you gotta like the last couple of lines in that ESPN summary of the game, “The “upset” tag should not be attached to this game. Pitt earned it because it’s a top-tier squad in this conference, too”. Sounds to me like it’s about time for Pitt to show up in the top 25 on Monday.

I hadn’t realized that Pitt was favored in this game. Considering Pitt’s prior RPI, I guess that the “Pete” factor trumps all rankings, ratings and indexes. Sure was a good win for them in any case, I especially liked how they took care of business in the last few minutes. The game was never in doubt during the last couple of minutes, IMO.

The ACC sure hit a home run in the upgrading of their basketball conference bringing in Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt. These teams will establish a different brand of BB in the conference I think. I wonder how many games it will take the ACC officials to adapt their foul calling tendencies to this Big East brand of basketball that the ACC is going to get a big dose of come next season?

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.03.13 @ 8:43 am

With eight games remaining, I believe Pitt can run the table. With a strong bench, they should wear down their opponents and head into Madison Square Garden with momentum that will get them a top three NCAA bracket. Of course, I’m biased. :-)

Let’s go Pitt!

Comment by MariettaMike 02.03.13 @ 9:21 am

Dr Tom, I think you’ll find it is Pitt, Louisville and the ‘Cuse that will have to adapt. The ACC has their ref’s and they call it the way the way the league dictates. Boston College learned this the hard way.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 02.03.13 @ 9:24 am

Sean Miller is doing a fine job in Arizona and I see no reason for him to even consider coming to Pitt. Besides, Jamie is a great coach and has elevated Pitt’s basketball program to a level never seen before. Let’s forget about replacing Jamie. I would, however, like to see Jamie hire a coach that knows how to teach good free-throw fundamentals. Grade school basketball teams have better free-throw percentages than this Pitt team which is inexcusable at the NCAA level. Pitt could have won three games had they made 70% of their free-throws.

Comment by MariettaMike 02.03.13 @ 9:29 am

I always enjoy the box score after a win. This one is unusual. As we know all 10 scored. Only Woodall scored in double figures and he did it with 6-7 free throws. Robinson only 2 points in 18 minutes.

Zanna with 12 and Adams with 7 of the 39 boards. Foul shooting was good except for Patterson’s 1-5. Helped that Adams and Ziegler had 0 attempts.

Moore productive with 8 points in 16 minutes, surprised he only had 2 boards.

Minutes spread nicely with Patterson and Woodall at 30, Durand Johnson at 8.

We may not have that one go to guy, but it sure is nice to have doubles of everything and few worries about foul difficulties. Plus specialists like Wright, Zeigler and Johnson. In any game, we have multiple options to star.

Adams is truly becoming the Big Guy with his blocks and improving offensive skills. He is the one guy that can make the most difference.

Fair kept Syracuse in the game yesterday 20 points on 9-13 shooting, silky smooth.

Jamie was masterful at managing his personnel yesterday, no easy task with 10 guys. He sure got the most out of them.

Sorry Frankcan, you know I love you, but the Miller talk is nonsense. A bird in the hand Baby!
Jamie is Pitt Basketball. Let’s hope he stays as long as Boeheim and we name the court after him.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by gc 02.03.13 @ 9:32 am

Tiger Paul was out of control — and we loved it.

Comment by MariettaMike 02.03.13 @ 9:34 am

6 BE teams play today. Should shake up standings.

Comment by Frank MD 02.03.13 @ 9:49 am

Can anyone tell me what the Zoo was chanting when Carter-Williams was at the line?

It made him smile.

Thanks

Comment by steve1 02.03.13 @ 10:32 am

Great win. They keep on getting better.

Oh I must have missed all the years that Sean Miller coached teams made Final Fours. Oh wait they never have. But yeah he clearly will get Pitt to the next level. He might have two elite 8 appearances but he also has missed the tourney three out of eight years. Dixon is a better coach. Get your Pitt blinders off.

Comment by Wardapalooza 02.03.13 @ 10:39 am

I’d like to know that, too, steve1.

I hope the team stays focused and takes care of business against the Hall.

Comment by panther94 02.03.13 @ 10:48 am

The work in progress called Pitt hoops will be tested at NCAA tourney level with back to back road games against 2 top twenty teams.
The NCAA tourney does not recognize moral victories and, therefore, neither do I.
Winning breeds winning.
Just go out and find a way to win.

Comment by SFPitt 02.03.13 @ 11:00 am

ill start with football tidbits then move to basketball. the junior day was a HUGE success by all accounts. every recruit said it was an awesome time and the basketball atmosphere was amazing. elite safety montae nicholson from gateway said it was “phenomenal”. if he enjoyed it as much as he says this visit might have moved pitt from slim to no chance with nicholson to as good of a chance as anybody. this visit also put pitt into contention with shai mckenzie.

as for basketball, this team was dominant yesterday. they have steadily improved but they still need to show that they can play consistently. maybe now people will start to lay off adams about his production. his numbers have steadily gone up for a month now and he is playing more consistently on an individual basis. he has more touch on his layups but, damnit, i wish hed just stuff it every time. its hard to argue with game plans when youre beating top 10 teams and winning 6 of 7 but it is a peeve of mine that they refuse to look for adams in the post. the pace that they are playing now is perfect and its good to hear that dixon wants to stick with this big rotation instead of cutting it back. also, i know its a message board and we are all entitled to our opinions but to say that dixon should be gone is absurd. he is one of the best coaches in the country, he helped build this program into a national contender, and he has only had one bad season in a decade which he is following up with another very good season that could get pitt a 5 seed if they handle their business down the stretch here, maybe a 4 if they win a few big east tournament games. you guys cant forget that pitt is NOT a blue blood. they could more easily fade into obscurity again than they can get to an elite level so why would you get rid of the coach that has built you up and kept you near the top?

Comment by pk 02.03.13 @ 11:08 am

Found the answer, steve1: link to nunesmagician.com

Comment by panther94 02.03.13 @ 11:39 am

steve1, we were commenting on the same thing at the game..no idea what they were saying..hope somebody does and can fill us in….
..not sure if anyone commented on this yet but this article is hinting at what I’ve been hoping would happen ever since Big East had started crumbling..
link to espn.go.com

…bummer they already nixed Pittsburgh for the site..but that’s ok if they move ACC to the Garden.

Comment by milobloom 02.03.13 @ 11:48 am

panther94, lol they are quite bitter

Comment by pk 02.03.13 @ 11:51 am

The chants went between “Lord and Taylor” and “You steal bathrobes”

Comment by Chet Masterson 02.03.13 @ 12:22 pm

As to that article about the creativity of the Oakland Zoo:

I will agree that the Zoo, at times, lacks some creativity and some of our stuff could be better.
On the other hand, I enjoy reading about a Syracuse blog criticizing the fan base when our Panthers just man-handled their mighty Orange. What a joke. H2P.

Comment by MikePITT 02.03.13 @ 12:37 pm

I LOVE the Oakland Zoo. I think it’s great that a Syracuse blogger is so intimidated by them that it’s the topic of discussion, after a loss to Pitt. The students in the Oakland Zoo, is what the college experience is about. Big games should be fun. What better way to spend a cold, snowy february afternoon. I think the game day experience with the Oakland Zoo is terrific. I don’t imagine the Syracuse blogger will be asking the students in the Carrier Dome to sit on their hands, behave, and remain quiet when Pitt comes to town.

Comment by Justinian 02.03.13 @ 1:01 pm

I was at the game and if anyone should be critcized its the 50 or so Cuse fans seated high in section 202. In the middle of the national anthem while it was nice and quiet, screams F*CK YOU… their boorish behavior continued throughout. Though it was nice when the pitt fans started chanting and waiving goodbye to them with about a min left…

Comment by Big Bill 02.03.13 @ 1:13 pm

I’ve said this before and will keep bringing it up. The Zoo has never rushed the court … Syracuse fans did it 3 times in a space of 5 minutes back in (circa) 03 vs Pitt

Comment by wbb 02.03.13 @ 1:19 pm

The zoo is a bunch of ANIMALS!!!

I just googled “manic personality disorder” and wouldn’t you know,,,,, a picture of Tiger Paul popped up next to the definition!

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.03.13 @ 2:11 pm

Did you guys see those responses about the zoo over at the syracuse blog? wow, what a bunch of pansies

Comment by Timmeh 02.03.13 @ 2:17 pm

Thanks, all, for your research and follow-up re Carter-Williams and the Zoo.

I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD.

Comment by steve1 02.03.13 @ 2:23 pm

Quite a few students in the Zoo wore bathrobes to the game in honor of Carter-Williams’ theft of a bathrobe among other things from Lord and Taylor. I thought that was pretty creative. If they got under ths skin of the Cuse fans, then they accomplished their objective.

GO ZOO!

HTP.

Comment by dinosaur 71 02.03.13 @ 2:42 pm

Tiger Paul was something! He would be struting and yelling out cheers along the sideline with his shirt tail out of one side. He would get the whole Pitt section going. I remember during a Pitt-Duquesne game at the Civic Arena, he was on one side leading the Pitt fans and Mosey Murphy was on the other leading the Duquesne section.

Comment by Justinian 02.03.13 @ 2:44 pm

Nice piece in today’s Trib about Pitt’s junior day football players at the Pitt-Syracuse game.

link to triblive.com

Comment by Justinian 02.03.13 @ 4:21 pm

3 observations on the aftermath of the win:
– The Miller talk is comical and you should be ashamed anytime its mentioned, but especially after a win.
– Glad to see all those on here who were throwing on the season during the L’Ville game now think we’re gonna dominate the rest of the way to a final four. Pitt fans are nothing if not even-keeled. J/K
– speaking of fans, are we anywhere near as bad as Cuse fans? what a bunch of babies. That nunesmagic post is fantastically stupid and lacking in self-awareness. F*ck those guys. They’re still living off the fumes of Carmelo Anthony. Extremely over-rated basketball program. 1 Nat’l title and 2 final 4s in 30yrs? Better than Pitt yes, far worse than their ego is telling them.

As to the actual game, the most encouraging thing is that was not (anywhere near?) our ceiling. 19 TOs? 20% from the 3pt range? Yet we still soundly beat one of the best teams in the country.

Comment by PantherP 02.03.13 @ 4:24 pm

Comment by wbb 02.03.13 @ 4:44 pm

Great comments to all but Frankcan.

Was thinking that Pitt has not even come close to it’s potential. Can any of us imagine if we managed to hit that “potential” high in March. I believe Pitt can play with any team in the country right now and if we reach the zenith of our potential……lookout NCAA!

Comment by Dan 72 02.03.13 @ 4:51 pm

Dr Tom & Marcus’ of S. ACC officiating style worries me. My impression is they like to call things “ticky-tacky” This tends to take defense and coaching out of the equation and makes RAGO the most effective style. That, in turn, makes talent trump coaching. Being a control freak by nature, I hate this approach.

Comment by Pitt1972 02.03.13 @ 5:51 pm

Thanks wbb on the Boyd status article. Even if Boyd delays his LOI signing, if Webb and Howard, the other two Clairton recruits, sign on Wednesday, then I say Tyler Boyd is a lock for Pitt.

Comment by Dr. Tom 02.03.13 @ 6:07 pm

Sure glad Flacco never got a chance at Pitt, our QB was much better.

Comment by frankarms 02.03.13 @ 8:01 pm

Once again, frankarms, flacco was not ready and our coach did not have a crystal ball.

Comment by panther94 02.03.13 @ 8:47 pm

Flacco was coached and mentored well at Delaware. Not sure wanny and staff would have done the same. They obviously missed out on his potential. Flacco had a cannon of an arm coming out of HS. At Pitt, he was behind a coach’s son who was a leader on the field and student of the game off the field. In hindsight, Flacco made a wise move. Wanny did fight him on the transfer.

Comment by Dish 02.03.13 @ 9:13 pm

Shouldn’t it have been “Panther Paul”? ;-)

Comment by Jackagain 02.04.13 @ 12:00 am