January 11, 2013

Street Returns for 2013

Filed under: Draft,Football,Players — Chas @ 8:32 am

I’ll understand if you thought it was a no-brainer that Devin Street would return for his senior year. I know I leaned that way. That doesn’t necessarily mean, he would (*cough* Greg Lee *cough*). Street made it official yesterday.

Wide receiver Devin Street considered a jump to the NFL but decided it was best to return to Pitt for his redshirt senior season. He announced Thursday on his Twitter account that he will return to school.

“My heart is at Pitt and with my teammates,” he wrote. “I want to grow as a person and player. Therefore I‘ll be staying my senior year.”

It’s not something Pitt fans should take for granted. The offense would have been in big trouble next year if Street wasn’t coming back. As less-than-good the O-line was this past season, try to imagine it if Chris Jacobson hadn’t been given a sixth year. That’s the sort of situation the passing game could have found itself.

Street hauled in the most passes of any receiver this year, he finished 8 yards behind Mike Shanahan in receiving yards. (983 to 975). More importantly, look at how much Pitt is losing from the offense. Shanahan, Ray Graham, Hubie Graham, and Cam Saddle. There are 8 other players who caught passes last year that are returning in 2013. In total they accounted for 60 receptions and 687 yards.

Tyler Boyd is a stud WR and will make an immediate impact, but he can’t do it alone. Not having Street would have put whoever the starting QB is next year in a bad spot, and too much pressure on Boyd to be perfect.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to like about some of the receivers and TEs, beyond simply Boyd and Street. Holtz and Carswell will have more of an impact. Ed Tinker took advantage of his opportunities to show something. Demetrious Davis and Brendon Felder still have a chance to make an impact.

But for depth and talent, Street coming back for his senior year was vital.

@DR. TOM : )

@EMEL Ya, figures, overall ACC, finally did win their bowl games, and most seem to be improving, perfect timing for Pitt!!! You wouldn’t expect anything else for us would you??

@wbb, without question, my favorite away trip.
Anyone who hasn’t done Annapolis, do yourself a favor.

Comment by Dan 01.11.13 @ 1:18 pm

@hacky3 FWIW

On February 3, 2012, the ACC announced a new regular-season scheduling format which added Syracuse to the Atlantic division and Pittsburgh to the Coastal division. These new teams will be cross-divisional rivals. This change will take effect once Pitt and Syracuse officially enter the conference in July 2013. On October 3, 2012 it was announced that the extra in division game will result in one fewer cross-division game.[22]

Comment by Emel 01.11.13 @ 1:33 pm

It’s going to be kind of strange not playing some of the Atlantic Division schools for like 6 years in football.

I think they need to come up with a better system, than that. IMO

Comment by Emel 01.11.13 @ 1:36 pm

Thank you Emel.

Can’t say I agree with this policy, but that’s why I’m working where I am, I suppose.

Comment by hacky3 01.11.13 @ 1:37 pm

Marco, I would much rather see Pitt lose a game to likes of Florida State or Notre Dame than to Youngstown State! Of course, I expect them to beat Notre Dame in 2013. Looking at the schedule, a 7 and 5 season would be BIG improvement, considering the difficulty of the Pitt 2013 opponents. I think the interest will improve as much as the schedule has. Go Panthers, and………Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Justinian 01.11.13 @ 1:37 pm

Yes the Annapolis trip is very doable. That’s a nice roadtrip to consider making. If you think about even Blacksburg, would be worth making, to play Virginia Tech.

Comment by Justinian 01.11.13 @ 1:42 pm

Has anybody else noticed we play three option teams?

Yep, New Mexico, Navy and Georgia Tech.

Here’s to hoping Dan Mason comes back strong. That man is a tackling machine.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 01.11.13 @ 1:46 pm

They need to get rid of the designated rival. There need to be more frequent cross-divisional games.

Comment by Chris 01.11.13 @ 1:59 pm

I hope it’s New Mexico first, followed by Navy and then Georgia Tech

Comment by wbb 01.11.13 @ 2:00 pm

All college FB teams are getting tougher schedules because the new playoff counts tougher schedules much like the BB selection.

At least that is what they are saying. Of course they are humans.

Comment by Frank MD 01.11.13 @ 2:00 pm

great news and highlights something you read a lot of in these articles by recruits and current players… they really speak very highly of Chryst and coaches. And quietly the players that will be around next year/beyond keeps growing!

Comment by Pittscript 01.11.13 @ 2:01 pm

@Chris I agree with you. However, I think they put that in there for the Mia-FSU game to make sure they always played each other. Especially when they joined, in the 90’s, when it was one of the top national games.

Probably some others wanted to make sure they played someone, but, I think that game had a lot to do with it.

So, I don’t know how they’d ever get away from it.

Ya, I’d rather play a mix, than Syracuse every year. No real rivalry there.

Hoops, yes, of course, football, not so much.

Comment by Dan 01.11.13 @ 2:18 pm

I hope many of these recruits actually stay on the team, play, stay healthy and out of trouble, and make an impact. And, I hope their talents are developed by the coaching staff over time. That should translate into more wins on the field. Very good thing that Chryst is able to recruit 29 players this year.

Comment by TX Panther 01.11.13 @ 2:22 pm

I’m really impressed with Chryst so far. Yes he had some growing pains this season but he seems like a guy that learns pretty quickly. I think we can all agree that player development has improved and I can’t wait to get a look at the redshirt guys this spring. I also think that he’s legitimately building the right culture on the team. He’s really pulled a nice recruiting class together this year as well.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 01.11.13 @ 2:26 pm

Awesome schedule….can’t wait.

Comment by notrocketscience 01.11.13 @ 3:06 pm

@DC33, the QB position continues to get more crowded in 2014 with the recruit from Blackhawk, Chandler Kincade already committed. So if Keller Chryst goes with Pitt we would have at least 5 QB’s on scholarship in 2014.

@ Emel, don’t be dissing on Blewitt, one of our kicker recruits. I know of this guy’s talents. In a couple years we will all be singing his praises I believe. His HS stats are impressive, with 50+ FG’s already on his resume.

Marco brings up a valid point Tx Panther, on why Heinz Field may still be showing empty yellow seats with this schedule, we are going to loss some games to this crowd initially!!! Now Marco is whining a little too much for my taste but throw into the mix the usual Yinzer pessimism, of which he demonstrates, and I could see only a sell out for the ND game with good, not great, crowds for the likes of Miami and Florida State. We HAVE TO WIN to fill up Heinz Field consistantly.

@ Justinian, I agree completely with you, thank God Youngstown State isn’t carried over to this next season, thsy are just too tough! It was a great win for YSU though, soundly beat us, we tatally sucked in that game.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.11.13 @ 3:12 pm

Yes Doc a good schedule helps but Pitt needs to compete in those games and maybe upset Fl State or the Domers to build some real excitement and to keep bringing fans back. Just not sure how to make the atmosphere at Heinz great. Winning will definitely help with an aggressive D and high scoring O. And, not getting embarrassed by the other team. But, there is something about Heinz that just isn’t intimate. Maybe because it’s a sterile pro stadium. Maybe because the Rooney’s built it on the cheap. Maybe because it’s not connected to Oakland and the campus. Maybe beer sales will help???

Comment by TX Panther 01.11.13 @ 3:30 pm

I don’t think you can blame lack of fan enthusiasm on the stadium not being intimate. Yes, it’s not intimate. But a good fan is going to be into their team, stand up, make noise and go to the games no matter where they are held.

Granted a shiny new on-campus stadium that seats about 45,000, perhaps neslted into a hillside somewhere near Panther Hollow wouldn’t hurt…

Comment by Atlanta Panther 01.11.13 @ 4:14 pm

It also doesn’t help when some old geezer behind you yells sit down. The seats make it too comfortable for fans. Bring back the bleachers.

Comment by TX Panther 01.11.13 @ 4:23 pm

Is there anyway Pitt could shoehorn a football field into the Peterson Event Center? Now that would be an intimate setting.

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.11.13 @ 5:11 pm

Carnegie Mellon has a stadium very near Pitt but it is small.

link to cmu.edu

It it possible that two universities could work together?

Comment by Frank MD 01.11.13 @ 6:58 pm

Pitt can still use the upmc practice facilities as that is where the “carrot” is with recruiting and interactions.

CMU stadium is too small with little to no room for expansion. Pitt just needs a leadership change to pull athletics up to get it close to the academic success.

This schedule is nice, but slightly more difficult. Look, football has a lot to do with who you play and when, injuries and off dates (i.e. easier to play FSU the weekend after they play oklahomer)versus playing coastal carolina. Will look at complete schedules of all teams before commenting on w-l’s.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 01.11.13 @ 7:35 pm

Its easier to play those florida schools in late november as well.

Comment by TX Panther 01.11.13 @ 8:16 pm

The problem is not so much the off campus stadium IMHO. The problems are (1) It is not our stadium and (2) The location of the stadium (just as hard to get to as Pitt Stadium and now the tailgating is about the same. If Pitt were to build a new stadium, they should think fans first. That means easy to get to with plenty of parking. Think Mintoeville not Oakland. Sorry Casino!

Comment by HbgFrank 01.11.13 @ 10:19 pm

Or that little town near Mintoeville called Monroeville!

Comment by HbgFrank 01.11.13 @ 10:26 pm

The crossover game is def for UNC and nc state. No chance NCSU would be ok with not playing Carolina every year. Same goes for Duke and Wake, well almost.

Comment by panther94 01.12.13 @ 1:18 am

Frank MD – that will never happen. First off CMU doesn’t want or need anything associated with PITT football.

Secondly, the neighborhood where CMU’s Gesling stadium will never stand for it being rebuilt with the associated problems. They just won’t. There is big old money in that area bounded by Morewood, 5th Ave, Wilkins and Forbes and they have huge pull with both CMU, PITT and the City.

Comment by Reed 01.13.13 @ 9:43 am