December 14, 2012

Huxtable Moves On

Filed under: Assistants,Coaches,Football,Hire/Fire — Chas @ 11:08 pm

The defensive coordinator position is open. Dave Huxtable has moved on to take the DC spot at NC State.

How do I feel about that? Eh. I can’t say it is a huge loss. It would have been nice to have full coaching staff continuity for two seasons, but it beats changing head coaches once more.

Some of the obvious names being bandied about are Charlie Partridge (serving presently as DC at Wisconsin, but also spent a few years as a Pitt assistant), Todd Orlando (former UConn and FIU DC), along with the usual Pitt guys names like Teryl Austin and Sal Sunseri. Tom Bradley’s name has been mentioned — with tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek.

(Seriously. Tom Bradley will not be the next DC. He remains unhireable  as a college coach. His supporters and agent tried to float his name out there for the open Temple job and that sank quickly and quietly. No program is willing to take that chance. Please do not even try to make the case.)

As for Sal Sunseri, I doubt it. Some SEC team will probably pay him a lot of money to help with their recruiting while keeping his coaching duties to a minimum. His DC tenure at Tennessee was not pretty. Yes, there were injuries. Yes, there were issues with the talent. That said, 110th out of 120 among 1-A defenses. Not a good look.

Besides, there is a bit of Sunseri fatigue at the moment. Conspiracists would lose their minds if Sunseri got hired. And god forbid, the defense struggles under Sunseri. The blind rage that would ensue from some quarters… Best not to travel that path.

Partridge is a glaringly obvious choice. We know Chryst loves those personal connections. Plus Partridge is a Florida native, and Pitt does need someone to recruit down there. And with Pitt’s bowl being so late, both sides can probably wait on this. Partridge still doesn’t know if he’ll have a job at Wisconsin after they finally make a hire.

a case for bradley he lives in pittsburgh
he is a good DC he would not be looking to leave.

he could be had for what every pitt wanted to pay
he would recruit NJ and eastern pa very well.

the coach at penn state kept some of joe pa asst and it has not hurt him.

brady was never brought into sanduskys mess
he seams clean of the stink.

and the players he coached liked him and played hard for him.

like some else said lets hire a coach that wants to be here one that isent looking to leave.

and when your bradleys age and you live in pgh you can bet he would stay.

abd most important he was a good coach a good DC.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.14.12 @ 11:26 pm

Partridge could leave early just like Hux did from us.

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 12.14.12 @ 11:40 pm

I’d be happier with partridge than I was with huxtable. Southern recruiting ties would be huge for us at this point.

Comment by usd121 12.14.12 @ 11:50 pm

HUGH is right if we want him hire him .

also what abought jim tomsula wasent he in the running to be are head coach when we hired chryst.

he is the DL coach for san fran.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.14.12 @ 11:54 pm

you all will say i am nuts for saying this but what abought dick lebeau the steelers will make him retire after this season this is his last year.

but i think he would like to keep coaching he is a young 76 years old just a crazy thought.
what a great DC he is.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 12:06 am

The defense improved SIGNIFICANTLY after the first 2 games. You gotta give Hux some credit. Again I wonder if this is a symptom of Pitt not paying assistants enough. If it is, c’mon, stop being the Pirates and pay the going rate. There is no excuse for building the program on the cheap.

Comment by Iron Duke 12.15.12 @ 1:09 am

Frankcan……..
LeBeau would be great in the coaching but do you really think he’d want to be on the road recruiting??

Comment by Mtoolmn 12.15.12 @ 4:49 am

I don’t get why Bradley should be untouchable. I see that former Paterno assistant Larry Brown was retained by O’Brian. The way I see it Bradley is being punished because he was the interim head coach at Penn State, after Joe Paterno was fired. I thought he conducted himself well and held the team together under very difficult circumstances. Tom Bradley has a good reputation and is by all accounts a good guy. He was loved by his players and respected by his peers. The worst part of all this is that he being denied the opportunity for employment. I’ve never heard of him implicated in any way. A full year has passed and it’s time to move on.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 6:58 am

By the way I love Dick LeBeau, but leaving the Steelers isn’t going to happen until he decides to retire. Given his age, I don’t expect him to continue to coach for more that a few more years. He won’t hang on as long as Joe PA did.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 7:03 am

As I recall, two years ago, Tulsa was 111th in total defense but Patterson did a real good job as DC last year at Pitt. Sal also is reputed to be a real good recruiter.

Nonetheless, my prefeernces would be Orlando, Partridge or Austin.

Any thoughts on Gattuso … who has spent the last 2 years as a def coach at Maryland in ACC?

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 8:48 am

wbb you are back good to hear your post.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 9:06 am

So glad to see you back, wbb.

I concur with Chas. No Bradley. I don’t believe he will ever coach again.

I think Partidge or Orlando will be the guy. Thy would also be my favorites. Although I wouldn’t mind Austin, Tomsula or Gattuso. I don’t think Olsavsky has the resume yet. But I really don’t see Pitt opening the checkbook for Tomsula or Austin. I could see some alumni with money making a push for Sunseri.

If you want to mention any Steeler names, I might suggest Carnell Lake as an upcoming guy as opposed to Dick LeBeau. But I think they have less chance than I would of being hired.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 12.15.12 @ 9:13 am

PLEASE – NO BRADLEY! I take comfort in knowing that Pitt has no interest in him. The ONLY reason he was given an interview for HC a few years ago was because of the Rooneys. Why would Pitt hire a PSU guy that bleeds blue and white to the core? It would be like Ohio State hiring Desmond Howard … or Penn State hiring Tony Dorsett … should not happen … and won’t.

Having said that, I’m glad Huxtable has moved on. Very vanilla, Dave Wannstedt era, defense. All indications are that Chryst is a 4-3 guy but I’d like to see the 3-4 again. Aggressive defense with a ball control offense (Steelers) suits this town well. Now only if we could recruit some LB’s.

I was sad to see Patterson leave last year. He showed his loyalty by staying with the team through the bowl and then not following his mentor out west. Probably won’t happen but he has my vote. Plus, he stayed relatively local by moving to WVU and most likely has two years of recruiting in-roads locally. Having thrown my eggs in his basket, I understand that Pitt probably wants nothing to do with the previous administration.

I don’t think Chryst will hire Sunseri or Austin out of pure job preservation. Why hire fan favorites sitting behind you when you just turned down your dream job?

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.15.12 @ 9:15 am

@Justinian Bradley is COMPLETELY untouchable until the myriad of lawsuits associated with the Sandusky scandal come to completion and long time, closely held assistants like Bradley are found completely without stain.

Why are so many people so hung up on an assistant coach who was never able to land a job in any other universe than the bubble that is Penn State?

Comment by ECH 12.15.12 @ 9:22 am

Why would he leave for NC State? Is this common for schools to scab coaches from within their own conference, or is it just the ACC? I always thought there was a gentlemen’s agreement not to do this in all conferences.

Comment by frankarms 12.15.12 @ 9:27 am

Here is the thing i dont think this should
be a slow search that could hurt recruting

if you play D you want to know who your coach
is i hope chryst moves faster then he did before
but may be pitt is cheap and wont pay top bucks
then it would be the ADs fult.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 9:27 am

Partridge, please!

But if not, given a choice, I think I’d rather try Tom Bradley than Sal Sunseri. Better coach, equal recruiter, and his last name isn’t the same as a certain blockhead QB that shall remain nameless (but rhymes with Vino).

Time to coin a new acronym: ABS! = Anybody but Sal…

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 9:30 am

I realize they won’t consider him, because of all of the above, but I still think it’s unfortunate for him. The law suits will going on for for the next decade. I think Patterson did a good job here and he was a stand up guy. He stayed and tried to do what he could to hold the team together when Todd Graham bolted for ASU. Unfair as it is Patterson has the stigma of having been associated with Graham.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 9:30 am

They need to invest the extra money they are going to get by joining the ACC into the FB program(coaches) now so they don’t lose the momentum they seem to have now of moving forward.
Sometimes you have to lose money to make money.

Comment by frankarms 12.15.12 @ 9:33 am

Reply to Tossing Thabeets: “Why would Pitt hire a PSU guy that bleeds blue and white to the core? It would be like Ohio State hiring Desmond Howard … or Penn State hiring Tony Dorsett … should not happen … and won’t.”

Don’t look now, but WRs coach Bobby Engram is a PSU guy — and there doesn’t seem to be any allegience confusion as he’s the main guy recruiting Foster.

Former Pitt coach Greg Gattuso played for the Nits.

Nick Saban won a NC at LSU, and he’s done okay at Alabama (smile). In fact, he doesn’t seem to feel any reluctance to whup-up on LSU when he gets the chance.

Steve Spurrier is a hero at FLA, won a Heisman there. But doesn’t seem to have allegience issues when the Gamecocks play the Gators.

Just sayin’, maybe Tom Bradley is toxic, at least for now (over time, I hope that isn’t ALWAYS true … I mean, he’s not the guy who molested the kids). But the fact that he worked for PSU, even for many years, shouldn’t be the issue.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 9:42 am

frankarms on your first post we are still in the big east so that might be why he did it.
and on your second post you are right spend the money this is no time to go cheap.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 9:46 am

Orlando would be a very good choice, while at UCONN they played tough hardnose defense that kepp them in every game. He has the Florida recruiting ties too. Doesn’t he have local ties to Pittsburgh ?

Comment by spindler's spirit 12.15.12 @ 9:56 am

I get that there will be some cross pollination of coaches and rivals do end up on other team’s staffs. Some people transcend that though and are ingrained with a particular culture.

Tom Bradley is one of those guys. He’s been a coach on that other team for over 30 years. Untouchable because of the scandal and untouchable because of his deep loyalty to that other PA school.

He may be a nice guy and good coach / recruiter but he is just too deeply entrenched as a Penn Stater to be on Pitt’s staff … especially if Pitt is trying to escape the shadows of that other school. Engram doesn’t have that deep association and neither did Gattuso.

Having said that, I also believe hiring PItt guys right now is not the best move for Chryst either. He turned down his dream job by all accounts and doesn’t need competition for his job on his staff.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.15.12 @ 10:04 am

Speaking of departing coaches, here’s some fresh meat for Reed & Chas:

GREAT article on Yahoo Sports today, where Pat Forde picks every bowl, based in part on which team has the coolest helmets, and then throws in a “Gratuitous Jon Gruden Rumor” (some true, some ridiculous, all are LOL, literally).

Anyhoo, here’s the Gruden rumor that Forde contrived about the “Fight Hunger Bowl (ASU vs. Navy):

“Gratuitous Gruden rumor: Everyone knows Todd Graham is ready to leave again, and Gruden always loved NFL away games in Arizona. Word from the mailman of the cousin of a former strength coach for Gruden with the Bucs is that he’s already been contacting recruits. “

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 10:13 am

I finally got to the end of that Pat Forde article — it’s loooong, but worthwhile. Here’s what he said about Pitt’s game in the BBVA Compass Bowl vs. Ole Miss:

“Who has cooler helmets: Ole Miss’ classy script reminds The Dash that Pitt should bring back its own classy script from years gone by.”

AMEN!! Preach it, Brother Forde!! And for the cherry atop the sundae:

“Gratuitous Gruden rumor: When the first five coaches turn down Wisconsin, AD Barry Alvarez will rethink that whole high-minded notion of not going after former Badgers assistant Paul Chryst after just one year at Pittsburgh. When he plucks Chryst, former Pitt assistant coach Gruden’s heart will go out to those poor Panthers, who will be waiting on their fifth coach in four seasons. He’ll take the job at a bargain salary.”

Epic!

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 10:24 am

Isn’t there a rumor the Script may be coming back for that game … maybe permanently?

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.15.12 @ 10:28 am

@Imma Man. Great article. Will read all of them over the weekend. Good, fun, entertaining.

I did of course go to the Pitt v. Ole Miss and read it.

Can’t believe you didn’t want to post it, maybe you didn’t want to bring it up this a.m..

I do!!!!!!

Pat Forde. Top national writer. No ties to Pitt whatsoever. One of his blips, as Imma Man stated was also picking bowl games on the helmets.

Quote on the Pitt v. Ole Miss helmet pick.

“Who has the cooler helmets: Ole Miss’ classy script reminds me that Pitt should bring back it’s own classy script from years gone by.”

Pat Forde, a top national sports writer.

Comment by Dan 12.15.12 @ 10:29 am

A Pitt guy would be great. Someone like Jerry Olsavsky would be nice. I have no idea what he’s currently doing or where he is. The bottom line is that Paul Chryst is probably going to hire someone he already knows. Hopefully he gets someone good and someone who can recruit as well.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 10:30 am

ha ha ha, there ya go!!!!!!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 12.15.12 @ 10:30 am

Tossing Thabeets, No, what I heard is they will not change the helmits for the BBVA Compus Bowl, but that they are seriously considering it for their upcomming season, when the begin play in the ACC.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 10:36 am

Damn but the hope remains alive.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.15.12 @ 10:37 am

Don’t know on the assistant coaches. Frankly, I don’t know enough about who is out there.

Bradley still tainted till the lawsuits are over??

Ok, I buy that. Hope the guy gets a chance in a couple years somewhere.

The fan brought up the UCONN guy, Todd Orlando. They did have a tough defense up there this year.

Sunseri, no way. And, not even because of the Tino thing, or that Chryst wouldn’t want someone on the wings.

Tennessee got absolutely torched this year. I mean waxed. Ya, first year, but I watched a couple Vols games this year, had that confusion look on every play.

Love Sal, Pitt hero to this day. Definitely not though.

I’ll defer to Chas and many of you who have a deeper knowledge of the subject.

Pitt script and Expansiocalypse are my bag!!!!!

As you all know, all to well!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 12.15.12 @ 10:43 am

I guess I am the only one who thinks that Huxtable did a pretty good job with what he had this year.

I also guess that Chryst will probably pick someone he knows that is noy on any of our lists.
Hopefully someone that can recruit, recruit, recruit. Linebackers and linemen. Guys that can make plays like Donald, Thomas and Pitts. Anyone know how Ejuan Price is healing?

WBB, glad you are back.

Comment by gc 12.15.12 @ 10:45 am

I’m hearing the logic of bringing in an DC with previous ties to Pitt from days gone by, but is it just me, or does everybody wretch a little spit up in the back of their throats when the name Sunseri is mentioned. Must just be word association I guess.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.15.12 @ 10:48 am

Tossing Thabeets, just a thought (we’ll probably never know): The way that PSU threw Tom Bradley under the bus then ran him out of town after DECADES of loyal service, the team that hires him eventually would have kryponite on the sideline if/whenever they play the (once) supermen in boring white unis.

Mike Shanahan’s (the NFL coach, not the Pitt WR)first HC gig was for the Raiders, where he was — shocking — unfairly fired by Al Davis, and never paid his money due. When asked why he didn’t sue to collect, Mike said he’d rather be left with the bitter taste than have the money, so as to have extra incentive to beat AD where it hurt most: on the field. And Shanny has an excellent record vs. the Black Holes.

I was unfairly let go from a company that I helped build. To this day, I get up every day with the goal to beat them where it hurts most, and put them out of business (which they almost are…).

Point being, allegiences are temporary, Bradley might be a secret weapon. But, as I said, we’ll probably never know … and I prefer Partridge anyway.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 10:58 am

sportscenter just did the top 10 plays from the big east. jerome lane #7? that’s laughable.

Comment by usd121 12.15.12 @ 11:00 am

lIVING ON cOLUMBUS i don’t pretend to have the “insider knowledge which some bloggers trumpet. However. i DO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE and it seems coach huxtable did a commendable job with Pitt’s DEFENSE THIS SEASON—WITH CERTAIN EXCEPTIONS. Of coURSE, HE HAD SOME STUDS TO ORK WITH, notably Donald and Thomas AND THE VAST IMPROVEMENT OF Shayne Hale. I WOULD HOPE pITT WOULD BOT PURSUE Bradley OR Sunseri BECAUSE OF obvious reasons. pARTRIDGE WOULD BE MY CHOICE. AND HOW ABOUT pITT’S SECONDARY COACH—hOUSE,A GREAT RECRUITER AND SEEMINGLY GIFTED COACH. BUT, i WILL beg off and let mr> chryst do the choosing. tWO THINGS i WOULD ADD: A THANK YOU TO Dave huxtaBLE AND AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO RAISE THE PAT Y OF THE Panther assistants. Rev< george from columbus,ohio

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 12.15.12 @ 11:08 am

The reason I pointed out that Tulsa was 111th on defense yet their DC was good at Pitt the following year was not to suggest Patterson, who is WVU’s DC, but to provide an argument to Chas who stressed how bad Tennessee’s defense was this year under Sal (which is true.) However, I will guarantee that Sal’s defense next year at Pitt wth 8 starters returning and Chryst’s time control offense. The real strength of Sal, however, would be recruiting with all of his ties in the southeast.

But as I said above, my preferences would be Partridge, Orlando or Austin … all of whom has Florida ties. I just don’t know what connection, if any, that Chryst would have with Orlando or Austin (soemthing that really mattered when hryst assembled his staff last year.)

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 11:11 am

@gc, not at all, I don’t think?? Think a lot of us agree with your opinion on Huxtable. The defense did gel and get better and better as the year went on.

@wbb, wonderful to see you!!! Hope all is well!

Comment by Dan 12.15.12 @ 11:19 am

I honestly think the whole thing about Bradley being out of the question is absurd. Fear of association, perception and “risk management” mentality, make it almost impossible for anyone who was on that staff to ever get a job in coaching again. It’s as though they have been convicted as well. They are being treated as guilty by association.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 11:30 am

not sure what this means but doesn’t seem positive (from Mike White’s PG blog):

Leftover item from yesterday’s Class A championship. Clairton standout Tyler Boyd said he will make four official recruiting visits in January to West Virginia, Michigan State, Rutgers and Penn State. He already has visited Pitt.

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 12:00 pm

It could be that Boyd is just following Chryst’s advise to go and visit other programs before you commit

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 12:10 pm

Any thoughts on why Hux is moving on? Maybe Chryst “hinted” it was time. In which case he already has someone lined up (in-house or not) and will make an announcement very soon. If it takes a while, Hux left for his own reasons ($, location, personalities, etc).
From a practical standpoint, if nothing else, Bradley would have the disadvantage of having to testify in myriad lawsuits which could cover ten years or more. Preparing to testify during football season would undoubtedly be distracting.

Comment by 66Goat 12.15.12 @ 12:15 pm

dr tom ,we could not afford sal as dc,and this is not adefense of a horrible showing, but more will come out at tenn.,maybe u should do apulp cap here and wait and see before u root canal him.

Comment by paul shannon 12.15.12 @ 12:23 pm

Stevie asshole Pederson hates Bradley.

Comment by TonyinHouston 12.15.12 @ 12:55 pm

I would hope that Bradley is not passed over simply because of his connection to Penn State. If he is attached to pending lawsuits whatsoever as Dan stated above, then I understand not going there. Otherwise, he would be an attractive candidate.

Comment by Floyd 12.15.12 @ 1:02 pm

I throw another name out just for kicks
kevin greene LB coach for GB for last 3 or 4 years

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 1:10 pm

Bradley isn’t a choice and shouldn’t be for many reasons not the least of which is that he is a PSU guy. Nuff said.

The good news is that there appears to be a good number of candidates out their but will we have the $$$ to pay them?

My candidates include:

Partridge (knows Florida and Eastern OH. Familiar with PC and what he is likely trying to do). Has to be the front runner.

Austin (Has been a DC at Florida. Knows the area. Up and coming. Probably would be a HC in waiting when PC finally goes back to Wisconsin)Always a consideration. Can we afford him?

Tim Lewis (Has been a DC but limited College coaching experience would be the drag)

Other option would be to promote from within the coaching staff. Best options:

Inoke Breckterfield – (D line did a good job as the year progressed. I liked how they were coached up).
link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Otherwise simply go with the proven DC’s (you don’t need a search firm to figure this out)
Here is your list of NCAA defensive performances. Find a midlevel team in the top 15 in total defense and then go after the D-Coordinator (see Bowling Green, UConn, Boise St., Utah St). Pitt would be a step up for most.

link to ncaa.com

Don Brown (UConn) – link to uconnhuskies.com

Mike Elko (Bowling Green) – Interesting potential. PA guy. Got to look at this guy.
link to bgsufalcons.com

Pete Kwiatkowski (Boise St) – link to broncosports.com

Kalani Sitake (Utah State) – link to utahutes.cstv.com

I think that there are good picks out there but I would hope that we make sure that the AD/Admin has some input in the decision to assure that we are preparing for the future by developing a HC in the waiting. That is what the DC and OC jobs should be about. PC likely to go with someone that he knows. The coaching circle is small so there will likely be 6 degrees of separation on this pick.

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 12.15.12 @ 1:30 pm

For what it’s worth, I believe Charlie Partridge has a very good chance of landing at Pitt for many reasons mentioned above. I don’t believe we’ll hear anything about this move for a while yet since Alvarez asked all the team’s current assistant coaches to remain with the team through January 1.

Comment by JD 12.15.12 @ 1:33 pm

TonyinHouston, Stevie may dislike Bradley, but you forget Stevie is #&@%*+ genius. After all he’s the guy, who dazzled us with great coaching hires of Haywood and Graham. Without an intervention, he would have hired Mario Cristobal, who was just fired at Florida International.

Comment by Justinian 12.15.12 @ 1:35 pm

Read Hux will be making 450k at NC State. I think Pitt paid him the same about so I don’t think money was the issue. Sounds like Hux wasn’t compatible to Chryst coaching style. I have a feeling Charlie Partridge will be our guy next year.

Comment by Why me 12.15.12 @ 1:49 pm

66Goat, some Pitt insiders predicted Huxtable’s exit the day he got here.

He was not a happy camper.

Comment by steve1 12.15.12 @ 1:55 pm

Pitt’s farm team, Alliquippa in a tough battle with Wyommising. On PCN if you are in PA

Comment by gc 12.15.12 @ 1:59 pm

bill mcgovern bc old dc

Comment by paul shannon 12.15.12 @ 2:04 pm

Current Wisky OC just hired to OC at NC State. Matt Canada. Wisky staff may implode like Pitts staff last year.

Comment by Why me 12.15.12 @ 2:12 pm

Seriously, why would PITT (us) want ANYONE associated with Paterno or Ped State on our staff.

That would be like putting a time bomb on your submarine. I hope SP isn’t that stupid.

And please don’t let any Steeler/Rooney influence come into play on this. The Steelers do no favors for PITT as far as drafting any players.

NONE since 2000 !

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 2:40 pm

If you can get Charlie Partridge back that would be better than Hux. Why you ask.

Very simply, it’s a wash as far as coaching ability, but Charlie can recruit the South.

And we HAVE NO ONE on the staff currently with southern ties. Duh…..we’re gonna be playing in a southern league with lots more speed than the crap we’ve been playing the BigLeast. We need some speed….southern style.

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 2:45 pm

BE BB schools officially leave. 12 FB teams probably still in BE including RUT and LOU. What a disaster for eastern sports. ACC must get on ND.

Comment by frank MD 12.15.12 @ 2:47 pm

Can we get Hugh Green for DC?

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.15.12 @ 2:49 pm

Dokish says that Huxtable’s exit was by mutual agreement between PC and Huxtable. I’m guessing that YSU beat down started that relationship off on the wrong foot. It was an epic defensive failure, like none seen before in history of Pitt football.

Comment by HbgFrank 12.15.12 @ 2:54 pm

If Partridge is Pitt’s ne DC, don’t look for him to leave before the bowl game … Chryst would not want him before (remember Chryst stayed to coach the Roae Bowl last year.)

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 2:55 pm

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 9:42 am

That is EXACTLY THE ISSUE. Cause he had to have known being there so long and in fact according to testimony did walk in on a Sandusky/child in shower room.

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 3:14 pm

hey wbb.

Long time no see…u alright buddie.

Haven’t had anyone to argue with lately :-)

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 3:15 pm

Time to coin a new acronym: ABS! = Anybody but Sal…

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.15.12 @ 9:30 am

With you 100% on this one Imma, lol

PITT does NOT NEED another Sunseri Albatross hanging around it’s neck. God help us ! haha

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 3:25 pm

if chryst wants partridge he can hire him now 3 of wisnconsin coachs have been hired and left in the last 3 weeks.

and just becuse you hire him does not mean he cant coach in the bowl game.

so if you dont hear any thing he is probley not to be hired.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 3:27 pm

Chris Ash was the DC at wisconsin last year any way not partridge.
what makes you think partridge should be the DC.
not saying he should not but what makes you think he is good enough to be DC.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 3:37 pm

A lot of Wisky coaches are going to NC State(including Hux) because their new coach, Dave Doeren was at Wisconsin since 2006 before he got the gig at NIU.

Wisky is putting out the coaches anymore. At this rate, Barry A. will soon be the

Godfather of College Football

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 3:46 pm

I’m fine, Emel, Dan & Frankcan, Thanks. Just got sick and tired of same old cliches about the Pitt QB that permeated the blogs over the last year and a half … and actually didn’t even take a look at this blog for the last 6 weeks or so until last week when Chryst was rumored to be leaving.

Some people have to learn to gi

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 3:51 pm

@Frankcan

because Charlie probably won’t come unless he gets a promotion. Hux wasn’t DC at Wisky either before he came. This was his first year as a DC.

And btw I thought he did a decent job after the first 2 game disasters. Had he had Todd Thomas and Ejuan Price available for YSU, I don’t think we lose as the LB corp was terrible in that game and the Cincy game. The whole defense looked lost the first 2 games, most likely due to 6 of the front 7 being starters for the first time and some playing for the first time. Still you can’t lose to a D2 team regardless.

So Hux got his “on the job” training here at PITT as a DC and now he’s off with us providing NC State with his experience now. Sux which ryhmes with Hux, lol

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 3:52 pm

LOOK 2 of joe pa coachs are coaching right now
one at penn state one some were else.
they have not been a problem tom bradley has
not been charged with any thing as far as i know his name never came up in the sandusky trail.

i know you dont like the fact that he coached at penn state but get over it.

he was a very good DC he lives in pittsburgh
he would not be looking to leave he likes it here
he would be the best recruter you could have for NJ EASTERN PA and boston aera as well as new york.

his players all liked him played hard for him.
he would be great i dont like penn state eather but come on you could not do better plus he
would work for what pitt wants to pay.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 3:54 pm

Wbb glad you are back i missed you i was going
to post abought you last week to see if you were ok than expansion hit got side tracked.
but i dont want you to be sad so i must say TINO
SUCKS .

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 4:02 pm

Glad to hear your alright wbb.

Ikr, it will be good when he’s gone as some have said in the press, his name evokes divisiveness.

Then we can all get behind whoever comes out of spring & august’s first real competition at QB next year as the QB.

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 4:03 pm

And btw we have to stick with the 4-3, as don’t need another switch for the Defense back to the 3-4. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Some of the Defensive stats were very good, in the Top 25. Now granted as the season went along the schedule got softer after the ND game and we played some absolutely horrid offenses like UConn (still managed to lose the game though), Rutgers (worst 9-1 team I’ve ever seen) and USF (one of the worst D1 (?) offenses I’ve ever seen).

Is Hux staying to coach in the Bowl Game or not ?

Don’t know how losing Hux will effect the Defense for the Compass Bowl. As Ole Miss can score points, they put up over 40 on a good Miss State defensive team in the Egg Bowl game.

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 4:15 pm

WHO will be are next DC is the most important thing we can talk abought now but.

the 7 BB schools have voted to brake away foom the 12 football teams it is a done deal .
they will go there own way.
do the football schools stick togther that is the question now ?

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 4:21 pm

Hixtable will not be coaching vs. Ole Miss.

Who’s wbb? Kidding. I missed you too.

Comment by steve1 12.15.12 @ 4:28 pm

Good question frankie.

Only the Shadow (ESPN) knows?

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 4:30 pm

C’mon Butler, knock Indu off their perch. 1 minute left in OT, up by 2.

Stevens will be coaching RU next year, you heard it here first.

Comment by steve1 12.15.12 @ 4:31 pm

Fun Fact.

92 Billions Eggs (Egg Bowl) are produced in the US annually.

However Penna. produces 7 times as many Eggs as Mississippi.

Yea we know, Pitt has layed many Eggs on national TV. lol

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 4:32 pm

@steve1

yea can u believe, RU is making Mike Rice go to
‘Anger Management & Sensitivity Training” classes.

lol what a crock

Comment by EMel 12.15.12 @ 4:37 pm

Butler knocks off Indy. Iced Crean. (sorry)

Comment by steve1 12.15.12 @ 4:39 pm

tell me Gary Stevens isn’t one of the best big game oaches around

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 4:41 pm

Wbb i have a qustion for you you are a very lrval headed man so here goes.
the 7 BB schools have voted to leave 4 of them
have benn sucking for years liveing on past glory
have lost more then they have won.

now i have read that the a 10 bb leage gets
300,000 per year per team for tv rights
lets go out on a branch and say that the 7 bb
schools gets 500,000 per team per year for a tv deal

it makes no sence the low estement was if they
stay with the football schools they would get
1,200,000 per team per year down from 1,400,000
they got last year.

but that is still more than they will get on there own.

even if the would get a unheard of amount for bb only say 600,000
that is still less then they get if they stay with the football schoolc have they not cut there own throats what do you think?

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 4:49 pm

cliches are all they got on this blog

Comment by paul shannon 12.15.12 @ 5:00 pm

Bruce Pearl says one of Butler’s kids “has big onions.”

Are you kidding me?

Comment by steve1 12.15.12 @ 5:00 pm

Frankcan, are you aure that the BB only schools get the same TV revenue as do the FB schools? I don’t know for sure but if they do, then I agree with you.

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 5:34 pm

Wbb no the football schools in big east got
4 million last year per school .
the BB GOT 1,400,000.
BUTthe thought was in the new tv deal that bb
would only get 1,200,000 in new tv deal but that is way more than they will get on there own

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 5:45 pm

Frankcan, the only thng I can think of is the costly travel expenses for these schools to go half way cross the country for non-revenue sports like gymnastics, swimming, etc is too prohibitive.

However, if they believe they can pick up the likes of Dayton and Xavier and maybe even Duquesne and Butler, then they they will bring in all the big TV markets in in northeast and midwest to Chicago .. which will lead to a bigger TV contract

Comment by wbb 12.15.12 @ 6:03 pm

IMO, Xavier is a given from what I’ve read.

Makes sense since it’s a Jesuit University like Georgetown & Marquette. And they have an excellent hoops program.

Other possibles look like Creighton, Saint Louis, St. Joe’s (if Villanova will allow it), possibly Detroit and I’ve even heard Gonzaga. Since these are all also Jesuit schools. Dayton is also in the mix and is Roman Catholic, so that would fit too.

Butler would be a good addition obviously but they’re not Catholic, but Protestant.

Comment by Emel 12.15.12 @ 6:29 pm

HIRE TOM BRADLEY HE COACHED PENN STATE AND WAS GOOD SO YEAH. Yeah, I’d rather have Wanny

Comment by TonyC 12.15.12 @ 6:32 pm

A couple things that were listed above:

1. Bradley’s association goes deeper than just an assistant at PSU. He was McQueary’s roommate at the time of the shower incident. Whether or not he knew is still debatable but it’s likely he did … not touchable as a coach.

2. Patterson is a position coach at WVU not the DC.

3. Pitt actually pays pretty well for assistants and is probably not the reason for Hux’s jump to NCST.

Dokish just tweeted Partidge most likely to Ark as a position coach. This will be a wide open search. I doubt it will be a “PItt” guy though.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.15.12 @ 7:32 pm

Jerry O is with the Steelers. Can we promote from within? I prefer to do that. Secondary coaches are good picks these days.
I won’t argue Bradley, but for someone who ostensibly is being blackballed because he “had to have known”, he has never really been on anyone’s radar. My general belief is that every white mail over 22 in that prison known as the Ped State football facility turned a blind eye to the creep Sandusky. If Pitt wants to skip over him because of that, then I’m fine with it.
But we stay with the same scheme!!!

Comment by SFPitt 12.15.12 @ 10:13 pm

well who ever we get it better be quick or
it will hurt recruting plus there were 23 coaching changes this year and DC are being
hired like they are going out of style.

so if we want a good one we better move QUICK
the good ones will be all gone.

i still think bradley would be a very good hire
from a foot ball stand point he cant be beat
he can recruit and he can coach and so far he seams to be clean of all charges he was never named in anything.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 10:58 pm

@wbb, glad to hear you’re fine and doing well.

Suprisingly, you missed a lot of us giving Tino some atta boys at the improvement he showed this year under Coach Chryst. Including great stats and few interceptions.

You also missed me talking about Pitt script and expansionocalypse!!!!!!! LOL

Oh, you didn’t miss that??? LOL Glad you’re well.

Comment by Dan 12.15.12 @ 11:08 pm

partridge has been hired as a DL coach at
arkansas. so you can forget him as are DC.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.15.12 @ 11:43 pm

I hope the booster that stepped in to over rule Pederson on the last hiring decision is on stand by to do the same again.

Pederson needs to rubber stamp whomever PC wants to hire and then Nordy needs to rubber stamp the Pederson pink slip.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.16.12 @ 10:11 am

I am sure chryst will hire some one we have
never heard of for his DC.
BUT if i has a pick it would be one of 3 men
Jim Tomsula the DL coach at san fran who
is a riseing star.
Teryl Austin who has been a DB coach a lot of
places and had one year as a DC even if it was
less then a great year.

Tom Bradley who was DC of the year in 2005
DC of the year in 2008
and ranked as the 2nd best DC in the nation bye
rival
who could recruit NJ and eastern pa better then
any one and who lives in pittsburgh.
so i think if it were up to me it would be
bradley.
then pick 2 would be tomsula and 3 austin
but it isent up to me but i hope it is quick
before it hurts recruting.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.16.12 @ 10:45 am

Sunseri was DC at Alabama. Then TN. And we act above having him at Pitt? If Bama the best team in the country and TN. Usually a solid team in e SEC wanted him we should be honored to have someone on his level. He never take the position at PITT. He’s SEC material apparently.

Comment by Mark Mehalovich 12.16.12 @ 10:45 am

mark mehalovich tinos dad was a LB coach at
bama not the DC and in his only year as a DC
at tenn they had one of the worst defences
of all time he stunk up the place.

he sucked and you want him to coach are D
COM ON MAN.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.16.12 @ 10:53 am

FRANKCAN – Tomsula will be a HC in the NFL someday and D-coord soon. Pitt DC would be a demotion.

Teryl Austin would be a nightmare waiting to happen based on his popularity with alumni. Chryst won’t hire a presumed eventual replacement on his staff and I can’t blame him. I do think he’s the best candidate though.

Bradley is too closely tied to the scandal. Regardless of guilt or not he was roommates with McQueary and worked closely with Sandusky during his time there. Despite his recruiting acumen in year’s past, it would be a big detriment now. Pitt will not associate themselves at all with the scandal.

As I said previously, I’d like to see Patterson given another shot but doubt that’s in the cards too.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.16.12 @ 11:49 am

Oh
gawd, not Patterson.

Comment by frankarms 12.16.12 @ 12:21 pm

Tomsula would be awesome because he has a rad Ron Jeremy stache

Comment by usd121 12.16.12 @ 1:44 pm

If reports are true about Huxtable’s brash style conflicting with the laid back approach of Chryst, not sure if Tomsula would be a good fit as I think he is known to have a similar coaching style to Huxtable. Personality wise, it would appear that Bradley would be a good fit with Chryst. Unfortunately as many have already pointed out, probably not realistic due to his attachment to the PS scandal.

Comment by Floyd 12.16.12 @ 2:31 pm

Off topic but we picked up an OL commit today. Welcome to Pitt Alexander Officer. Frank – what’s the scoop on this guy?

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.16.12 @ 2:42 pm

Atlanta Panther he is raw but has a good up side will be ready in two years 6 foot 4 300 pounda a
OG.
I had thought we might get him right after the vist.

he moves well he will be good just not the first year maybe a red shirt.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.16.12 @ 4:04 pm

@ Atlantic Panther. Alexander Officer is a great recruit, typical offensive lineman in the Chryst image of how he likes them. 6’3″ at 322 lbs and described as having the frame that could support more weight as he matures, WHAT??? He’s from Rochester, NY and had multiple offers from the likes of the BE and MAC plus Boston College.

Officer is rated 3* by ESPN but I don’t really follow those ratings very closely. He should be just what the OL ordered.

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.16.12 @ 4:04 pm

Last year i found a ton of info when i looked
for pitt coachs asst some of it was wrong
most of it was right but i found it.

so far this year nothing so i have fogot how i have got worse at finding the info or

pitt and chryst have got better at hideing things
all lips must be sealed

i can find not a hint of a name except the names you and i post.

and i am pissed be cause i like to find what they dont want you to find.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.16.12 @ 4:56 pm

@Mark Mahalovich: Maybe not SEC material. Tennessee set all kinds of defensive records this year.

Ah, not the good kind. Most yards given up in a game at Tennessee. Most points given up in a year at Tennessee. Most yards given up in a year at Tennessee.

Tennessee absolutely got torched on ‘D’ this year. Saw them several times. Looked like they were in a cotinual fog.

Sal, great Pitt guy. Coach, nah, he can go his way and we’ll go ours.

Comment by Dan 12.16.12 @ 6:19 pm

Sal did go his way new DL coach at FSU. Are wish list grows ever so thin. Like the Officer commit, I wish Wisconsin would pick a damn coach already, I don’t want Alvarez hanging around for a year or 2 will make the coaching situation at Pitt very unstable (of course not like we aren’t used to it).Foster chooses in 4 days, getting nervous his commitment or lack there of will make or crush my December 21st, don’t know about the rest of you. H2P.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 12.17.12 @ 12:57 am

Beantown-Sean, I’m with you. Really hoping Foster will choose Pitt. I believe with some better recruits there is hope for the program, but we need some kids with real talent. I am concerned that there will be fallout from Huxtable leaving in terms of the messages this is the coaching staff, we are committed to Pitt, your future and building the program. We will see what happens. It would be nice to have some good luck once in a while.

Comment by LUV PITTBULLS 12.17.12 @ 7:26 am

There is a reason Sal is a life long position coach.

Huxtables stlye conflicting with Chryst is a joke and rumor. They coached together before Pitt.

Saying Partridge had more FL ties than Huxtable is not true. Huxtable was a D coordinator and coached in FL for years.

Don’t be surprised if some D coaches leave with Huxtable.

Hopefully the DC hire runs the same D. My God this team needs some continuity from year to year. We all saw how many weeks it took the D to adjust this year

Comment by notrocketscience 12.17.12 @ 9:56 am

I think PITT fans are forgetting that Chryst will be the one selecting the new DC and he has no “PITT ties” to Sunseri or Austin… or any other PITT ex-alumni at all.

It is much more reasonable for him to select someone that HE is familiar with and trusts to get the job done.

Agree 100% with Chas in that PITT will never, and should never, hire Tom Bradley.

Comment by Reed 12.17.12 @ 12:19 pm

Huxtable’s D was pretty good the last few games, but it was rather bad for most of the season. I think the good games were due more to great individual efforts by the players rather than the schemes. So, I’m not that sorry to see him go.

On the other topic, I’m not advocating Bradley for DC, but people here are being incredibly unfair to the guy.

First, destroying his career because of Sandusky, even though he was not that connected to him and had no role in the crimes, is completely off-base. Any of the rest of us could conceivebaly be at the wrong place at the wrong time in the same way. Declaring him “toxic” because of it is really inconsistent with his actual role in the situation.

Second, dismissing him for any coaching job because he was at PSU for so long and will still “bleed blue and white” is ridiculous. Most fans seem clueless to the fact that coaches don’t have the same fanatical devotion to one school like they do. It’s their job. They are not going to purposely screw themselves to help their old school win. They’re all competitors, they want to win where ever they are. Even Paterno would have given 100% to beating PSU if he had taken a job at some other school.

So, I don’t think Bradley should be Pitt’s next DC, but not for the silly reasons some people are giving here. However, the guy is an excellent coach, and we could do a lot worse. (And we have done a lot worse.) I’d take Bradley over Sunseri anyday.

Comment by SteveS 12.17.12 @ 1:34 pm

SteveS

I agree and Bradley will be hired this year or next by some program. I would not have a problem if Pitt hired him.

Comment by notrocketscience 12.17.12 @ 1:46 pm

What happened to the recruiting madman on Pitt’s Wanny staff who made all those inroads into NJ and then left to coach at Rutgers. If not DC material yet, maybe a promotion from within Pitt’s existing staff, and hire this guy back as a position coach. I thought he was a DB coach if my memory serves me. The one problem may be that Pitt may not have a DC qualified guy on its staff.
If not, love to see Austin since he seems to have a real interest in Pitt’s program and he certainly has good experience.

Comment by Taxing Matters 12.17.12 @ 2:10 pm

@Taxing Matters, the guy you are talking about is in the NFL. Jeff Hafley

link to buccaneers.com

Comment by Why me 12.17.12 @ 2:17 pm

I don’t personally have a problem with Bradley, he has not been directly involved in the discussions revolving the scandal. To be honest, he was the only coach I had some respect for on the PSU side of things. From my perspective, although uninformed, over the past 10 years or so had seen to be more and more withdrawn from the program in a sense during his realization he would never go any further in the organization.

I honestly have no idea who they will pick, it seriously could be anyone, I just hope they pick the right man for the job.

Comment by Benzene 12.17.12 @ 2:51 pm

notrocketscience i am with you on that
bradley was DC of the year in 2005
he was DC of the year in 2008
rival ranked him 2nd best DC in the nation
he lives in pittsburgh.
but you dont want him i cant see us geting any one better

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.17.12 @ 3:10 pm

that should read they dont want hin

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.17.12 @ 3:36 pm

If Chryst is leaving within 2 years, the Austin makes sense. If he is successful as DC then you can probably squeeze 5 good years out of him before he bolts to the NFL or a higher paying job. I know he is a Pitt guy, but 5 years is considered pretty damn loyal these days.

Comment by Nabil 12.17.12 @ 3:56 pm

With respect to Bradley, no one knows if he knew anything regarding Sandusky or if he didn’t. Is that fair to him? I don’t know. What I do know is that there has already been a fair amount of coach and DC movement within the college ranks so far this off season, and I haven’t heard his name mentioned in connection with any of them. I have to believe that no school wants to take the chance that someday he sits on a witness stand and says something to the effect that he may have had some suspicions but no actual proof and therefor took no action. By all accounts he is said to be a decent guy. Maybe he gets his chance once all of the legal machinations are complete.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 12.17.12 @ 4:24 pm

Bradley would be a recruiting nightmare outside of central PA. As I’ve mentioned several times, he was roommates with McQueary at the time of the shower incident and was 2nd in charge on defense during at the end of Sandusky’s reign. Did he know something? I don’t know but I can certainly speculate that he did.

It the pro’s or bust for Bradley … big time college ball will never happen. Maybe Pitt Johnstown can hire him – he’s still popular in central PA.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.17.12 @ 7:52 pm

There is much collateral damage from the Paterno era. Selfish people are well, uh, selfish.
Bradley is one of many. Heck, the damn janitors were afraid of losing their jobs. Life isn’t fair. But the ones who have the most to complain about are the kids.
Last week, a killer mowed down little kids. Little kids and brave adults. If all of Sandusky’s victims had occurred over a two day period there would be that type of reaction.
I don’t know Bradley from Adam, but I do know that all I wish for him is justice. Whatever that is.
Now, there are alot of retreads and one and done DC’s out there.
Here is a novel idea. Find the best DC in FCS (where they put up bug numbers) and hire him.

Comment by SFPitt 12.17.12 @ 7:52 pm