December 7, 2012

It’s still more than three years away until Pitt and Penn State play for the first time since Pitt shut out Penn State 12-0 in 2000 — wow. It will be a 16-year gap. Amazing. Hard to believe it will be that long. But I digress.

The renewal was only to be a single home-and-home. But that was before all the, um, changes that have taken place in Happy Valley over the last year or so. A new coach. An interim AD. The passing of a certain obstinate figure. And the continual badgering by Pitt’s AD have led to an extension of the series to four years rather than two.

Last year, the two universities signed a home-and-home agreement for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. Today, Pitt and Penn State announced a two-year extension of the original pact for 2018 and 2019.

Pitt will host the initial game at Heinz Field on September 10, 2016. The Panthers will play at Penn State on September 16, 2017. The new agreement will have the series returning to Pittsburgh on September 8, 2018, with a return trip to State College on September 14, 2019.

It’s welcome news for a rivalry game that should have never ended.

The hope obviously is that long-term it re-establishes the annual game without having to be as much of an issue. Given the constant shifting of conference size and the potential of 9-game schedules in-conference to fill inventory as teams pursue TV dollars and their own cable channels. There are not guarantees. That it is why it is important to extend the series as much as possible now.

The Pitt-Penn State game now going through 2019 guarantees that WVU will not be on the football schedule until at least the next decade. Pitt is still slated to play ND through 2016,  there simply won’t be a spot for the Brawl.

Still. Sixteen years between the last game and the next one. The longest gap in the series since it began.

For both Pitt and Penn S

By the way, my nephew allready admitted they’ll have to play “nice, nice” in the parking lot at tailgates.

“I know you guys have all the ammunition for comebacks to any remarks. I’m drinking my beer and keeping a low profile”!!! LOL
Comment by Dan 12.08.12 @ 11:47 am

They (well most of them) never to this day think that anything was wrong up at Creepy Valley. And that Joepa was done a disservice, blah blah blah.
Most of them were wild that the BOT did what they did. Obviously Zombie Nation is quite delusional.

By 2016, that will all be long forgotten by them,
it will be up to us to keep the fires fanned (or the showers running), so to speak.

Comment by Emel 12.08.12 @ 1:22 pm

By the way, don’t let any PSU’ers pull the wool over your eyes. They friggin’ hate Pitt.

They do the we’re above you thing because the game got cancelled.

I still have family pissed about the last game getting beat 12-0.

Believe me, we go beat em’ 4 in a row, they’ll care.

By the way, any nitter gives you story about “we’re above this game”…………..

get some drinks in them, quite a few, and then just watch the bitterness ooze from their mouths, it’s a beautiful thing!!!

Comment by Dan 12.08.12 @ 1:23 pm

@marcus

isn’t that one in the same. lol

Comment by Emel 12.08.12 @ 1:24 pm

Oh Emel, wow, some drinks in some folks, wow, things could really take a nasty turn.

Actually, nastier than it’s ever been, like a “serious nasty”.

Allready told my crew, I’ll behave and try and keep it classy……. until I hear the first nitter mouth off, then with some pops in me, “All bets are off”!!!!!! LOL

“of course you have good tight ends, you guys love tight ends, you’re always practicing with the tight ends!!”

See what I mean. I’m sober, at my office computer, 4 years away and I came up with that little diddy!!!

LMAO

“you guys suck…………..literally”

LMAO!!!

Comment by Dan 12.08.12 @ 1:30 pm

Benzene just checked out the comments regarding Pitt on the black shoes diary blog. You think with what has transpired there over the last year would have given them a little dose of humility. Can’t wait for this series to get started!

Comment by Floyd 12.08.12 @ 1:31 pm

Also, is this another instance where we need to blame SP and nordy for being incompetent…?? You know, the whole changing to another conference which isn’t falling apart, putting in rivalry games which every Pitt fan wants and will fill the stadium with absolute ease?

Comment by Benzene 12.08.12 @ 1:34 pm

Football on the upswing, Coach Chryst staying, moving to the ACC, recruiting class looking good, playing PSU 4 times, at least,

the tee stand is at home plate Steve, they’re putting the ball on the tee……………

put Pitt script and colors back and go ahead and hit that home run Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s like a big juicy beach ball waiting to be hit!!!

Good time to be a Pitt football and hoops fan!!!

Comment by Dan 12.08.12 @ 1:40 pm

You summed it up perfectly Dan!

Comment by Floyd 12.08.12 @ 1:52 pm

For sure Dan-o

And Sir Tino graduating, 4 more quarters to go !

Comment by Emel 12.08.12 @ 1:54 pm

Here’s hoping that Tino goes out with a bang and plays the best game of his career. Wouldn’t erase all his past mistakes, but I think we would be able to look back and say Tino actually had a decent year.

Comment by Floyd 12.08.12 @ 2:08 pm

Basketball tonight vs North Florida.

Gotta love their nickname The Ospreys

I’ve driven past their campus in Jacksonville, it’s a really fast growing school that hasn’t been around long. Not much of a hoops team yet.

They are 3-5 and play in the Atlantic Sun Conf.
They did play Florida State tough losing by only 8 points and have played a tougher schedule than us. Also losing to #17 Memphis by 15 and #21 Minnesota by 28. Also lost to K State.

The victories have been against Florida A & M,
Bethune-Cookman and something called Edward Waters. I’m assuming that’s a college or something, sort of like Wvu. Except more classy.

The Ospreys are led by a stickfigure of a guard named Parker Smith (6-3, 155 lbs) 17ppg
Tallest player is 6-8. Adams should be able to grab some bounds and score a few points one would think.

The two teams last met in 2010, with Pitt winning,
95-49. So some guys(Aron Nwankwo, Mike Lecak) might play tonite, who don’t normally get in. Let’s hope, cause that’s always fun !

HTP !

Comment by Emel 12.08.12 @ 2:19 pm

Reply to Chris’s “We’re going to lose an actual hated rival in WVU for PSU, a school that couldn’t care less about playing Pitt…”

After we beat them, they’ll care. Heck they care now, just watch their faces when you remind them we won the last game agaisnt them and that was 12 years ago (16 years ago by the time we play next).

I can’t speak for you, but I don’t hate WVU. And I won’t after 12 years absence either. Yes they hate us, especially after 13-9.

On the other hand, I despise PUS with every fiber of my being DESPITE it being 12 years since we last played.

Trust me, after we play the nits or peds or whatever you wanna call them 2-3 times, you’ll understand. Especially if we win, because they’ve always been such sore losers.

I live in Colorado, and I’ll buy season tix the years we play PSU at home just to have seats for that game. Even tho it’ll also mean having to buy airline tickets. If they announced instead the WVU series was resuming, my reaction would be just to make sure I record the game if I wasn’t gonna be home. Not even close to the same thing.

I can’t wait!! You’re in for such a treat, I just hope we whip them to get things off to a good start….

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.08.12 @ 2:27 pm

How fantastic would it be if PSU and ND fill out the 16 team ACC. Then we keep WVU as our opening game each year… or a final weekend game like many other ACC teams do with non conf rivalries like FSU – Florida, Clemson – SC and GA Tech – Georgia.

An ideal, dream 12 game schedule would be:

WVU
Arizona State
MAC team like Buffalo or Eastern Michigan
Lightweight Big East opponent like Tulane or Memphis or Temple

Conf games
PSU
ND
FSU
Clemson
UNC
VA
Miami
GA Tech

That is the near future I dream of.

Comment by Pantherman 12.08.12 @ 2:36 pm

BBVA players gifts rank high.

link to network.yardbarker.com

Comment by frank MD 12.08.12 @ 2:38 pm

Tyler Boyd canceled his official visit to WVU, will be at Pitt tonight

Comment by Timmeh 12.08.12 @ 3:06 pm

PSU to ACC. Where there is smoke there is fire. Maryland and Rutger move was out of the blue for a reason folks. Some one in Big 10 got word that PSU was vulnerable.

Not sure I’d the Maryland and rutger move quits PSU but it was definitely meant to send a message to someone

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 12.08.12 @ 3:09 pm

Guys, In a perfect world Pitt would be playing Penn State, West Virginia, Syracuse and Boston College like the did before all the conference re-alignments. Unfortunately with conference schedules there often isn’t room to play them all. Joe PA ended the Pitt-Penn State series because because he held a grudge when Pitt joined the Big East.

Comment by Justinian 12.08.12 @ 3:22 pm

All the Maryland & Buttgers move to the B1G did was hurt PSU’s recruiting in NJ & Maryland. It may help some on travel on away games is all.

Comment by Jackagain 12.08.12 @ 3:23 pm

Ok guys. If Pitt went script with the new colors as the standard and the Pitt gold circa 1975 on select occasions would that work?
As for me. I like both.
Now on the hardwood, Pitt wore a throwback jersey in dark blue with PITT written as it is here.
Pitt is a brand. Pittsburgh is a city.

Don’t F with the brand anymore. At all times, without exception, the name is PITT.

Comment by SFPitt 12.08.12 @ 3:48 pm

I don’t think this is trading in WVU for PSU and it isn’t Pitt doing to WVU what Penn State did to Pitt in ’92. WVU isn’t exactly engaging Pitt on renewing the Brawl either. The non-con schedules are tight. It’s the reality of having every team in a different conference.
I imagine we’ll play WVU again next decade. It just probably won’t be more than 2-4 times per decade, sort of like what happens with Miami and Florida.

Comment by Patrick 12.08.12 @ 4:54 pm

BTW…rumor has it that Holgorson may be headed to Texas Tech….(don’t tell anyone) 😉

Comment by Jackagain 12.08.12 @ 5:02 pm

Three reasons why Holgorson may be going to TT.

1) link to lubbockonline.com

2) His ex-wife and his kids live 10 miles from Lubbock (OK, that’s only half a reason)

3)Geno Smith & Tavon Austin are both seniors.

Of course the hoopies will match any offer….but this would be great….

Comment by Jackagain 12.08.12 @ 5:15 pm

Dan, we gotta start a new club now that Tino is graduating. Will call it the “Pedo Pitt”, where Pitt fans come to share their newly composed jokes about the nitters, pedos, penn staters, creepers, whatever new label our creative minds can come up with those arrogant bastards.

Here’s my initial contribution to the cause,,,, Of course they’re know as “linebacker u” those guys have been drilled in deep penetration since they’ve been old enough to pull their pants down.

That is soooo bad,,,,,,it’s good! and almost four years to come up with so much more,LOL!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.08.12 @ 5:46 pm

Dr Tom, don’t you mean since they were old enuff to shower?

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.08.12 @ 6:21 pm

Just watched the end of the Army Navy game. Now THAT’S a rivalry!

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.08.12 @ 6:31 pm

@marcus,,,ditto!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.08.12 @ 6:33 pm

Holgorson not going to Texas Tech. May have expanded liquor sales bur nearest Casino’s are in eastern Oklahoma (300+ miles).

The Mutually Beneficial girl is back – Hooray

Comment by PITT-cocks Fan 12.08.12 @ 7:01 pm

LOL

Comment by Jackagain 12.08.12 @ 7:27 pm

Reading Marcus’ post earlier about what SP said on the radio today – makes sense. I haven’t had the impression that Pitt is black-balling WVU, rather that they wanted to wait until the new conference schedule is settled to commit. I’m all for playing both PSU and the Hoopies, just saying the rivalry with State Penn is superior – in FOOTBALL. Basketball is/was WVU. Of course there will be potential new ACC rivals. but hopefully we can get WVU back on the schedule every year in hoops.

Comment by Iron Duke 12.08.12 @ 8:31 pm

TT would just get a private jet (bar) for Holgy to make junkets to Vegas. If they really want him.

What’s going on with Tuberville, TT to UC ???
They must have told him to leave or get fired.

Cause that makes no sense.

Comment by Emel 12.08.12 @ 8:31 pm

dhuffdaddy,
You make a good point on WV and future recruiting problems with WPIAL players since closet conf. opponent is 800 miles away. But you also should consider that WV is in a whole lot of hurt recruiting wise since they went to the B12 because there are no Fl schools in B12. No games in Fl translates no recruits from Fl. Currently there more than 30 Fl players on WV roster.
As to scheduling non-con in Fl ,it won’t be easy for WV because they ticked Fl St when they canceled their game this season, So Fl won’t schedule them for leaving the BE, Gators would crush them, only remote chance is Miami but I’m sure they can be convinced not to schedule WV.
WV future recruiting is in a whole lot of hurting.

Comment by spindler's spirit 12.08.12 @ 10:13 pm

scuttlebutt around The Pete tonight was Boyd will announce verbal to Pitt that’s why the cancelation of the WVU trip …

Comment by Hoopzebra 12.09.12 @ 12:39 am

PITT 12 – psu 0 @ Three Rivers left a bitter taste in my mouth but thirsting for more!

Within the first 5 minutes of sitting in our seats that day a shit-talkin-asshole psu fan infront of us had punched my buddy in the jaw and a duchebag psu guy behind is had punched him in the back of the head!

What a day!

What a rivalry!

Penn State sucks!

Comment by Pitt2Cali 12.09.12 @ 7:41 am

I have no problem playing West Virginia on the years that Pitt doesn’t play Notre Dame. However, if I have pick between Penn State or West Virginia, it’s Penn State. One other thing to consider, Virginia Tech looks at Pitt as a rival, from former days in the Big East. The Pitt-Va Tech game will no doubt rekindle in the ACC.

Comment by Justinian 12.09.12 @ 9:14 am

I hate PSU with all my heart even though I’m only 28. I’m still pissed about Lavar Arrington blocking Nick Lotz’s last second field goal when I was in fifth grade.

I still revel in the glory of twelve to nothing and watched the game rather than making out with a hot chick, the only one interested in my loser tenth grade ass.

And most importantly, I was engaged to a Nitter and we hated our respective schools so much, it prevented our future wedding from ever happening because PSU people are ARROGANT asses that actually believe they went to an IVY League School.

My favorite day of work this year was when my poor suffering buddy from lowly Ohio U got to talk shit on the loud mouth Pedos.

This rivalry will be life changing for the youngsters.

Damn PSU 4 Life.

Comment by AJ 12.09.12 @ 6:45 pm

Can anyone remember the pregame shenanigans between pitt and state. I remember one time our fans stopped the PSU buses at the foot of cardiac hill and made JoePa and his team walk up the hill before the game. I remember another time at State their fans beat up a number of our band members and sent them to hospitals. Paterno was masterful creating distractions before the games. Who can recall for us what some of them were. Thanks

Comment by barreman 12.09.12 @ 6:52 pm

Barrelman, You’re right. Joe PA always had some issue with Pitt before every game they played. I remember when he made a big deal over the seats Pitt gave his wife. Yes, Joe PA complained publicly to the media, over his wife’s seating. I also remember during Foge Fasio’s worst season, the Panthers blew them out 33 to 6 or something like that and Joe Paterno was yelling at his players and calling them a bunch of sissies.

Comment by Justinian 12.09.12 @ 9:00 pm

@AJ
Thank God for small favors. You might have been legally bound to the woman had not common sense prevailed.

Comment by sfpitt 12.10.12 @ 7:09 am

If you haven’t seen it… a revealing interview giving insight into the character and maturity of Tra’von Chapman.

Also gives insight to Chryst and his staff and their approach to recruiting.

link to triblive.com

Comment by PittofDreams 12.10.12 @ 9:25 am

Nice post PittofDreams. Future looks bright.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.10.12 @ 11:20 am

Doesn’t look like there is any interest on Dixon’s part to play WVU. Pederson will talk about it but do little. From a business and competitive standpoint, it’s best to put WVU in the past. Let their fans latch on to Texas Tech and Kansas or just feel the remorse of isolation. Good riddance to the low class ‘eers.

Comment by TonyinHouston 12.10.12 @ 5:57 pm