December 7, 2012

Chryst Staying: Do We Care Why?

Filed under: Chryst,Coaches,Football — Chas @ 12:14 am

I’m only now home and with some time to sit down and post on what is old news: Pitt will have the same coach from the regular season coach the team in Birmingham. Something that is actually unique for the program.

The buzz last night and at the start of the morning was that it looked like Chryst wasn’t leaving Pitt. The message he and his assistants were getting out to the 2013 recruits was much more forceful than it would be if he was even torn on the idea. By comparison, Louisville Coach Charlie Strong told his players that he was deciding about what was best for his family before deciding to stay with the Cards.

Still, it was his alma mater. It was his home state. There are a lot of reasons he could change his mind. And, frankly, until there was something more tangible, the possibility he could decide to go back to Madison would be hanging over everything.

Enter Wisconsin AD and interim HC Barry Alvarez in a press conference today.

Question: Barry, you know how popular Paul Chryst is around here, and his name is going to be out there until proven otherwise. Is he a viable option to be the next head coach here?

Alvarez: I asked some very good friends of mine to help Paul get that job. I think Paul has already come out and said that he’s committed to Pitt. I think he should be committed to Pitt. I wouldn’t think it would be right for him to leave after one year. I wouldn’t feel right, and I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to hire him back after I asked someone to do me a favor and help him get that job.

So Paul’s going to stay at Pitt.

And there was much rejoicing.

The relief from Pitt fans was tangible. The praise for Barry Alvarez was sung.

The one thing that nags at me — just a little — is it really that simple?

Is it simply that Barry Alvarez didn’t want to try and persuade Chryst to go back on his word to Pitt and the incoming recruits? That he didn’t want to betray the trust of old (and rich) friends to whom he sang the praises of Chryst?

There’s a lot of reason to believe it. After all, Alvarez has a history of not only shooting straight, but not shutting up. So that he reveals more than others. Way back in 2010 when before Nebraska was brought into the Big 10, you had all the Big 10 honchos and the member schools power players denying any active searching for a 12th member and expanding the conference. But along comes Barry Alvarez to just share plenty. And when he said the Big 10 wasn’t doing any expansion in 2011, it was accurate.

In a business where everyone lies. Everyone spins. Alvarez seems the exception. Old school as a former coach that transitioned to the athletic director. Blunt and honest with people. Secure in his position and beloved by the fans and the school so he has no real reason to be afraid of the politics.

But…

Maybe Chryst simply turned him down, and Alvarez was the one spinning. Chryst doesn’t seem to care too much about a lot of the politics, but a large part of Alvarez’s job is dealing with the politics. Fans don’t take it well when a top choice says no to them. Hurts their psyche to think others don’t perceive their program’s job to be the jewel that it obviously is. Since Chryst does owe Alvarez a little, it wouldn’t be much skin off of Chryst’s back to let Alvarez put it out there that Wisconsin wasn’t going to pursue him.

If you read a lot more of the press conference you can pick up quite a bit of how self-aggrandizing, cocky and arrogant Alvarez can be. (Which might help to explain why he hand-picked Bielema to be his successor.)  Heck, his statement on Chryst can easily be read as, “I could have brought Chryst here if I wanted, but I’m such a good and honorable guy — which you should all know — I deigned it just and wise to leave Chryst in Pittsburgh.”

Maybe it was a bit of ass-covering because Alvarez — in his position at Wisconsin — realized it just didn’t make financial sense to hire Chryst. Consider that the salary he would have to offer Chryst would be at around $2 million per year. Then there is the $6 million buyout. So just to keep the numbers simple (and not worry about present values versus future values of the money) pretend the contract would be for 6 years. That $2 million annual salary is actually a $3 million cost. Chryst has a lot of promise as a coach, but he is not worth $3 million per year.

Chryst’s popularity with the fans and even the players would make trying to put forth the fiscal prudent argument difficult. Especially in light of Bret Bielema taking shots at Wisconsin for not paying his assistants.

Ultimately, it really doesn’t matter. I’m still basking in the sense of relief. The joy of knowing I won’t have to get all worked up over another coaching search for this year. And more importantly, the smallest sense of stability starting to return to the football program. Actually seeing a signing day class with the same coach who initially recruited the kids.

It may also be plausible that Alvarez is not sold on Chryst just yet as a HC, and he is both offering a plausible reason to get himself off the hook with Wisconsin fans as well as saving face for Chryst. As you say, it doesn’t matter in the end. I’m just thrilled HCPC is staying – clearly the best scenario for Pitt at this juncture. Another year of transition would have been devastating.

Comment by Iron Duke 12.07.12 @ 12:40 am

Hey I’m one of the biggest cynics on here but I’m going to give Barry Alvarez the benefit of the doubt and think he’s a “righteous dude”.

In the words of the high school secretary in Ferris Bueller.

The world is so full of BS artists I want to believe there is maybe…..just maybe one other person like myself out there. lol

Thank you very much !

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 12:47 am

great movie by the way emel…

Comment by goalie44 12.07.12 @ 12:55 am

I just got home myself Chas after a 16 hour sojourn, that involved planes, trains, automobiles (should I stop now for John Candy’s sake)…..nah I need to go on,…… buses, light rail transit, 2 holiday Christmas parties, neither of which I was invited to, but ended up getting some substantial contacts from and meeting someone from Penn Hills, who might end up in my employ.

Oy Vey ! (still going strong)

P.S. and managed to squeeze in my annual doctor exam.

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 12:57 am

I am just happy that PC is staying. He lends credibility to the program that is much needed. I would hope that all the other coaching changes going on will make us look somewhat stable.
I see where we are having 5 visits this weekend by the following recruits:
Alex Officer – G
Justin Moody – DT
Jaleel Hytche – CB
Blake McClain – CB
Jaryd Jones Smith – OT
I am curious how many scholarships are available for this class. There are still other big names we need to hold some for such as
Robert Foster – WR
Tyler Boyd – WR
Terrish Webb – WR
Kenton Gibbs – DT
Do the recruits that are enrolling early count on last years class? We have 19 currently and I thought 25 was the maximum. I am excited to see how we finish up this years group.

Comment by Rex 12.07.12 @ 12:58 am

We may never know the true motivation out of Madison. Chryst is not a wordsmith and certainly is one who lets his actions reveal his intentions.
I am persuaded by actions. In the end, they are all that matter.
HTP

Comment by SFPitt 12.07.12 @ 2:23 am

What “really” happened is irrelevant.

All that matters is that Pitt has the same coach, and thus a modicum of stability.

Even if Chryst ultimately turns out to be a dud, it would have been disastrous for the program had he left.

Comment by BATR 12.07.12 @ 5:36 am

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful the situation unfolded as it did but…… what is wrong with this picture – we are thanking another AD for “allowing” us to keep our coach. Pederson….Pederson are you there?

Comment by zero93 12.07.12 @ 6:39 am

I believe it was “all of the above.” However, like Emel, I want to give Barry Alavarez some credit. I think he and Paul Chryst did some talking behind the scenes and that it may very well have been a mutual decision. In any event, I am pleased with the result. This year we should have a good recruiting class. The players coming into the Pitt program will actually play for the head coach and the staff that recruited them. There will be continuity in the offensive and defensive systems. It would have extreamely damaging the Pitt football program to go throught another coaching change.

Comment by Justinian 12.07.12 @ 6:46 am

i am grateful that Chryst is staying, cause it is too early to tell what type of coach we have in him, but i think he is going to be a good one, plus we need stability. the thing i didn’t like about this is that Alvarez makes Wisconsin seem like a better place/job than Pitt. And that he was the master puppeteer in all of this including Pitt’s hire. What I would love to hear from Chryst is him reinforcing his thoughts that pitt is a “destination” job and that he had no interest in Wisconsin because he truly likes Pittsburgh and found a home at Pitt. Which I guess he said in saying he is “committed” but some different verbage would be nice to hear. Anywho, at the end of the day, I am glad that PC is staying, thankful for the integrity of Alvarez, but it still leaves a little sour taste in my mouth. and i agree with BATR that regardless of how Chryst turns out, had he left it would have set this program back by years both with reputation and recruiting. We are stronger now than we have been for a few years.

Comment by pittisit37 12.07.12 @ 7:01 am

A BOGO half off sale at the Panthers Team Store. Means one thing: Clearing out for the script and some bright yellow. Wishful thinking!

Comment by Z-Boy 12.07.12 @ 7:04 am

I like Paul Chryst and am glad he’s staying at PITT for the near future… but isn’t ironic that we were tearing our hair out and spouting doom and gloom because we might lose a HC who just went 6-6 with losses to poor teams in UCONN, SYR and… YSU!!?

On top of which the HC had some very questionable decision making this season.

I understand and appreciate the need for stability but only at PITT would this be earthshaking.

Again, very glad he’s staying but am somewhat amused by the whole incident.

Comment by Reed 12.07.12 @ 7:32 am

BTW – wholeheartedly agree w/ your take on Alvarez’s statement Chas. As soon as I heard it I cringed.

Comment by Reed 12.07.12 @ 7:34 am

I’m looking forward to Pitt playing in the ACC this year and hope they have a winning season.

Coach Chryst had an interesting baptism in his first year at being a head coach. Regardless of our won / loss record, we need stability in our football program foremost. Hopefully, Paul will be here for at least his first graduating class that he recruited. HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.07.12 @ 7:45 am

may be we should thank j cochran, for permanent paul,some people like, little names,its greatto have him stay,big recruiting weekend,this whole thing looks like the work of sorta a magcian. hey penquin.

Comment by paul shannon 12.07.12 @ 7:57 am

I still believe that Pitt will end up in the B1G (along with potentially BC and Syracuse). These moves will lock up the Northeast. In a way, it’s almost like the B1G wants this program stabilized before the invite. Why else would Barry push so hard for the PC hire, and then insist that PC stay. HTP

Comment by pittbluegold 12.07.12 @ 8:14 am

Big bullet dodged.

I prefer to believe we have just witnessed the behavior of two guys with ethics, a rare commodity these days.

Comment by gc 12.07.12 @ 8:20 am

Don’t care why. If Alvarez is playing CYA, let him. I think it reflects well on Pitt. And Chryst is more valuable to Pitt right now than anywhere else for the stability alone. I’ll drop a couple roses at Barry’s feet, doesn’t make a bit of difference to me. We’ve got our coach, we’re gonna get our recruits, and we’re gonna build our program. H2P.

Comment by 85 12.07.12 @ 8:28 am

Brett Bielema interviewed on Mike and Mike. Going to Arkansas because it is a step up. More money for him and a lot more for hiring and keeping assistants. Maybe most important Arkansasvhas never won an SEC championship. That would be a great way to make a name for himself.

Comment by Oklahomeboy 12.07.12 @ 8:30 am

barrys friends tailgate in gold one,let it alone a deal is deal, besides they will not stop making coaches and we will not stop hiring them

Comment by paul shannon 12.07.12 @ 8:43 am

A few days ago when most were running around screaming that the sky was falling and busy already preparing their short list for our next head coach, I stated the following.

Am I the only guy in Panther Nation who is looking at this situation and shrugging my shoulders thinking who cares?

The way I think, there is no issue here. If Chryst is the person that I feel he is, he went into this hire realizing that one of the criteria for his employment was giving stability to the program, especially considering Pitt going to the ACC in 2013. He also strikes me as a guy who sincerely is interested in building something here at Pitt. Considering this is his first head coaching job, I see him cutting his teeth on this Pitt job, making his share of mistakes, learning as he goes along, improving his recruiting techniques etc., all of which improves his worth as a head coach into the future.

Chryst is only 47, he has another 20 years of coaching left in him if he desires it, and right now he doesn’t need to feel that the Wisconsin job is a once in a lifetime lost opportunity if he is offered it and he turns it down. Now that doesn’t mean that he can’t use this as an opportunity to improve his situation at Pitt, especially if he interviews for the Wisky HC job and is offered the position. If that transpires then it is Pederson’s ass that is in a sling, if he screws those negotiations up. Because then, Coach Chryst bargains for a little more money maybe and a little more power maybe and a little more of whatever he wants to put out there to sweeten the deal for him and the Pitt football program going forward. But that is why, IMO his statement was somewhat vague. LEVERAGE my friends, the guy isn’t stupid.

Coach Chryst is still earning the right to be called a head coach. The way I see it, he strikes me as a man who wants to prove that he can turn a major college football program around, earn a name for himself and take this responsibility to it’s full potential. I really feel that he’s here for like 5 years because that is how long it will take for him to figure out if his influence on the program is going to result in those goals coming to fruition. Believe it or not, there are still some people left in this world who think along those lines and care about how their decisions effect the larger picture around them.

I know there will be plenty of you out there that will read this and think that old Dr. Tom is a sap who doesn’t comprehend the current mindset of the modern male in this current society and that the $$$$$ and selfishness of looking out for #1 trumps everthing else nowdays. Sorry, I just don’t see Chryst playing this situation that way. Now Todd Graham,,,,,GONE IN A HEARTBEAT!!! Chryst, he is a different breed.

The Wisconsin job will open up again in the future and who knows five years from now after Coach Chryst has earned his medals at Pitt and has increased his exposure through coaching in the ACC for a few years, he goes off to Wisconsin after the next guy leaves at Wisky, but for now I feel Coach Chryst is solid, if not then FIRE PEDERSON before we hire our next football coach and start ALL over. We’ll see.

Well, we saw, and Paul Chryst has shown us that his commitment to Pitt is sincere. So where does that leave us a month before we take on Old Miss in a mean nothing bowl game?

It means that we have an individual at the wheel that wants to put his stamp on this program! Chryst has something to prove. Considering this is his first head coaching job, he has no resume to speak of when interviewing for such positions at other universities. That doesn’t mean that he was not on Wisconsin’s short list for the HC job, since at least there he was a known entity there, but really, what has he shown the coaching world that he has to offer as a HC up to this point?

There is the rub. This guy strikes me as an honest, blue collar, hard working, meat and potato, what you see is what you get kind of person. That is a good fit for Pitt football and their fan base.

IMO, Chryst wants to take this program from the ground up and assemble a team that has a roster full of players who want to play the game at 100%, want to win and are not resistant to doing what is necessary to have that winning philosophy transpire on the field of play.

With this lastest development, I see Pitt football at a turning point that I’ve not seen since Majors showed up the first time around. Us moving to the ACC, Tino finally graduating and now Chyrst demonstrating that he intends to be here for the long haul has the potential to propel this program into being really competitve again.

How this recruiting class pans out as well as how the QB competition transpires in Spring ball is going to be huge going forward. If we pick up either Boyd or Foster in this recruiting class and if the offensive line continues to improve next year with another season of Chryst coaching, most of the starters on the defense coming back and I think we got a real team on our hands.

With that the “wait until next year” mantra actually has some validity this time around, IMO. BUT, as always, we’ll see.

In the mean time however, glad that you’re still with us Coach, Go beat the snot out of Old Miss, and of course, Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.07.12 @ 8:50 am

Reed, I couldn’t bear the thought of another coaching change. The result of which usually results in recruits going elsewhere, new staff, and yet another off-season system change in everything they run. At least this time around, spring, summer camp, and next fall season, the players will running the same sets. This past year the team went from a spred, back to traditional pro-style offense. On the defensive side they went cahnges as well. Pitt needs to have some continuity and for the firt time in three years they may.

Comment by Justinian 12.07.12 @ 8:52 am

I’m glad that Chryst is staying.

But I’m a little rankled by this:

“So Paul’s going to stay at Pitt.”

Is Alvarez running Pitt’s athletic department? He talks about Pitt here like it’s Wisconsin’s AAA coaching organization. What a jag.

Comment by Brendan 12.07.12 @ 9:01 am

A couple of points germane to the Alvarez, Chryst, Bielema story…

Alvarez says within five minutes of having Bielema tell him in person that he was leaving for Arkansas, he met with the agent for the current Head Coach who is at the top of his list of candidates.

At first glance, this flies in the face of the contention that Chryst was potentially the frontrunner for the job.

However, it could also be that Alvarez either had an inkling that Bielema was leaving or better yet specific knowledge that he was in negotiation with Arkansas.

I lean toward the latter. Alvarez is obviously an operator when it comes to maneuvering under the radar (i.e. the strings he pulled to help get Chryst the job at Pitt). His commments suggest he likely had been tipped off about Bielema and Arkansas giving him time to decice that he could not in good conscience go after Chryst.

As to the reasons Bielema left for Arkansas. Money is certainly one. However, Bielema apparently also told the team that a major reason he was leaving for Arkansas was that he wanted to win a “championship,” taken to mean “National Championship.”

When this came up at his news conference, Alvarez said Bielema had told him the same thing.

Pretty obvious that the “championship” explanation burned any legacy Bielema may have built in Madison with his three Rose Bowl teams.

Comment by PittofDreams 12.07.12 @ 9:01 am

I don’t care what the motivation was that contributed to a little continuity in our football program. I don’t care if it was self serving either Chryst’s or Alvarez’s part. I’m just happy the boat has stopped rocking…even if temporarily.

What does continue to concern me is the relative fecklessness of Mr. Pederson. Isn’t it troubling that our AD was chopped off at the knees in his last coaching search by prominent boosters and his University’s flagship athletic program was granted stability by another University’s athletic chief.

Comment by ECH 12.07.12 @ 9:10 am

Anybody that was worried that Barry A. was evan thinking about poaching PC was asleep at the wheel. BA was after a coach with a proven track record not a coach that coached 12 games. BA did gently turn downed Paul C. at his presser. Five years from now it is a different ballgame. In the mean time it is up tp Pitt he is taken care off and that he really wants to stick with Pitt.

Comment by joel 12.07.12 @ 9:26 am

@Reed
Pitt also crushed Virginia Tech and Rutgers and came within a field goal in OT of beating the No.1 team in the land on their home turf. Let’s not forget what he was able to do with Tino. I think most of the Pitt faithful is very excited about Pitt’s future with Chryst.

Comment by Floyd 12.07.12 @ 9:30 am

Pitt wanted to offer the job to Hometead and Steel Valley native Jim Tomsula. They were going after him hard! Alvarez met with Pitt brass and pushed for coach Chryst….pushed really hard! Alvarez is close with several of the big boosters at Pitt…one of them was in oil and gas and Alvarez invested with him and did well….because he was straight with Alvarez. So he may sound cocky that he will let Chryst stay but Alvarez has all the cards…..

He is a very ethical guy….he loves coach Chryst….really…like a son and really does think he will be a top coach in football….as the AD of Wisconsin his boosters said he has the duty to do what is right by them….he said being ethical is doing right by them! I am quoting a booster from Wisconsin, they said the would raise the moneey for the buy out……Alvarez said… Paul needs to be at Pitt. I made a promise and went all out with Pitt to get him this chance. I cal it God, some call it Karma, but u can not put everything u got in a guy and tel a major University that u guarantee sucess then stab them in the heart. When I am retired doing those things are what haunt the soul!

Comment by Big Black 12.07.12 @ 9:41 am

“What exactly are the Pitt trustees paying Steve Pederson hundreds of thousands of dollars for?
Comment by ECH”

That sir, is the question. Our AD was powerless and the saddest part is, we were better off that way.
I am asking Santa Claus that Cyanide Steve not have a contract renewed and that we ask BA if he can find us an AD.

Comment by sfpitt 12.07.12 @ 9:43 am

Someone joked above about Pitt moving back to the script. My buddy spoke with someone in the athletic department. I guess they are throwing the idea around for the ACC move. The guy also thinks it will probably end up being a slight change. He also said the Pitt Script for the bowl game won’t happen.

Comment by why me 12.07.12 @ 9:44 am

First 3000 yard passer and 1000 yard rusher in PITT history ? Not bad !

Once Chyrst gets more of his players in and establishes his system, hopefully the consistency becomes a part of that.

There was a reason Wisconsin fans, players, etc.. where clamoring for Chyrst. I’m sold on the fact he made Tino a “decent” QB.

Comment by Snala The Panther 12.07.12 @ 9:54 am

Maybe we should stop asking Pitt’s administration to return to the Pitt Script and instead appeal directly to our Wisconsin overlords…Maybe Barry A. will allow us to return to the helmet and uniform design of his youth….since he picked our current Coach, decided our current Coach can stay, why not ask him to pick our uniforms too?

Comment by CJK 12.07.12 @ 9:56 am

I like Alvarez better then Pederson anyways. So what if he runs Pitt Athletics..? Yeah its shameful, but he is doing a better job then petey !

Comment by Snala The Panther 12.07.12 @ 9:58 am

I am happy Cryst is staying. Thought he was the correct hire for Pitt. But I’m still worried that we may lose our OC Rudolph, who I believe is a dynamic coach and recruiter, especially in Western PA.

Comment by Bones 12.07.12 @ 10:05 am

This is a class act by Mr. Alvarez. Instead or critizing the man we should be thankingchim for not putting his interests in front of his morals. After Barry announced that he would not take Coach Chryst from Pitt because he worked so hard to get him too us, I called the Wisconsin athletic department and personally thanked them for acting in such a classy manner.

As far as Im concerned they are a classy athletic department and they got one new fan in me. I wint be rooting for any other team more Wisconsin, except for my Alma Mater! Hail to Pitt!!!

Comment by Mr Pitt 2001 12.07.12 @ 10:17 am

@why me. LOL I posted about this the other day several times. In the longshot that they would ever go back to the Pitt script and colors, somehow it will get “Maryland’d or Oregon’d up” or should I just say “Pederson’d”!!!!

“Pederson’d”, I like it.

REAL EFFIN’ SIMPLE.

Yes, update the material, the fit, the protection of the helmet, just like other teams with their traditional uniforms have done.

As for the colors, the script and the striping, just put it back the way it was.

It’s so simple. It’s a ball on a tee waiting for a homerun to be hit.

Make a lot of fans happy, plus the marketing would be out of this world.

If they ever would, I will say this now, with utmost confidence, somehow, Pederson will Pederson it up.

He will add a purple stripe, or make the helmet camoflauge, or leave Pitt script off the helmet and put it on the sleave instead.

Will take the stripes off the pants, will make it “his” version of what the Gold or Blue should be.

That’s why as a big proponet of bringing the Pitt script back, I know it will have some futuristic zombie look to it.

Or, we’ll have 12 different combinations or something that will have people saying,

“If they were gonna do this, why didn’t they just go back to the script and color scheme that most people wanted back”.

So, that is why I can’t get too excited.

1. Will they ever actually do it??

2. If they do, are they gonna eff it up or do it right????

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 10:50 am

As for Coach Chryst, absolutely thrilled he’s staying. Don’t care why.

He made tremendous progess with Tino.

The team progressed. Won their last two.

Ya, 6-6, some bumps in the road, but first year, and with the looming recruiting class, I’m pretty pumped up for Pitt football’s future.

Could dud out, sure, anyone can. Best I’ve felt about Panther football in quite awhile.

And, I’m really pumped for the game against SEC OLE MISS!!!

Birmingham?? 3 years in a row?? Ya, not much fun for the kids I guess. But, they’ll have big meals, and be taken to cool things for them to do.

Me personally, not able to go this year. Watching on tv, so it doesn’t really matter where the actuall football field is.

Pumped up, beat OLE MISS, Hail to Pitt!!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 10:54 am

Stability consistency enough said Hail to Pitt

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 11:10 am

2 more games added to the rivalry…

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 12.07.12 @ 11:10 am

Pitt/PSU series extended through 2019.

Interesting.

Comment by ECH 12.07.12 @ 11:10 am

butch jones goes to tennessee are there any cincinati recruits we want and can pick off.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 11:16 am

Pitt just announced (literally a few minutes ago) that they’ve extended their 2-year series of football games with Penn State by two more years. Which means Pitt and PSU will now play 2016 thru 2019…

My reactions: (a) It’s about damn time!!, (b) I hope they make it permanent.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.07.12 @ 11:23 am

EXCELLENT!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 11:27 am

There you go who needs WVU.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 11:31 am

To some of the younger fellas who graduated in the last 10 years.

I know WVU is your rival. Maybe we will play them again at some point.

But, I’ll tell you from experience.

Give Pitt-PSU a try. It will be in your office, in will be in your neighborhood, it will be in the bars you frequent, the stores you shop.

So many more PSU’ers around than WVU’s, much more fun and exciting. I mean thousands more, makes the rivalry that much more intense!!!!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 11:36 am

Besides, we have the upper hand in the tail gate parking lots!!!!!!!!!

They start the “Shit on Pitt” stuff, I believe we have quite a bit of ammunition to lob back!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 11:37 am

It’s been so long, but what trash do Nitters call Pitt fans? City Slickers? I know the Hoopies are crude and vulgar with their chants, but I don’t recall Penn State’s other than ‘We Are’ and that’s directed at themselves. Yes – ‘You Are Pedo State.’ There is just so much more to dish back at them on top of ‘Penn State SUCKS!’

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 11:45 am

For those of you too young to remember, the Pitt Penn State series was THE GAME in the east. It was always the last game of the regular season and was ALWAYS a nationally televised game long before ESPN. The regular yearly series ended in 1992. There were two more games played in the mid 90s including one where Penn State linbacker, Lavarre Arrington blocked a Pitt field goal attempt at the end of the game to win at State College and the last game in Three Rivers Stadium, an exciting Pitt win where Rod Rutherfort caught a slant pass accross the middle for a touchdown that locked up the win.

Comment by Justinian 12.07.12 @ 11:55 am

like very other pitt fan, i’m pleased that hcpc will have the time to improve his skills and the fortunes of my favorite team. he’s not great yet. neither is the team. but the future holds a promise not known in a long time.

on another note. let’s look at louisville and their commitment to their athletics program. they are positioning themselves well for the continued realignments among the football powers. it’s time to insist that our administration make similar moves to demonstrate our commitment to ensure that we’re at the big boy table. it’s time for the “dear old uni” to open some purse strings. but it doesn’t stop there. time for us fans to do the same thing. (filling the yellow seats will help also.)

also glad about the psu extension. but i’m one of the old farts faulted by the younger generation.

keep calm

hail to pitt

Comment by pittkeith 12.07.12 @ 12:04 pm

I think Pitt was in a no lose situation. If PC leaves we have 6 Mil of Wisky money to buy the best coach in the land. If he stays then business as usual. Well better then usual in the ACC!!! Ya baby. The safety of the buyout may have saved the ACC too once Terps kick in 53 Mil. We will all have great coaches.

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 12.07.12 @ 12:15 pm

Any way Pitt could bring over the whole Maryland LaCross program?

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 12.07.12 @ 12:19 pm

Pitt – PSU was and will be a national rivalry game again even though we are in different conferences and haven’t played in a while.

On my last two trips to State College Pitt won.

Those were games to be remembered.

Comment by frank MD 12.07.12 @ 12:42 pm

FRANKCAN – what recruit do you think selects Pitt after this basketball weekend? We know Foster announces on the 21st and I think Boyd announces on the 4th of Jan. The ZOO better be rockin. Fans should also give Chryst a big salute.

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 1:00 pm

Couple of points.

1) Interesting take by Reed. Perhaps it is true. Perhaps it isn’t. Either way we will not know why UW is without Chryst (Chryst, BA, or 6 Million?)

2) Let’s give credit where credit is due. Having a 6M buyout was a very good decision. Why? Not that it would prevent Chryst from leaving. It was a nice bump in the road that when all other things being even it may bring reservation. Big time programs will pay it (Alabama, OSU, USC, Tx etc). Second tier programs will think twice. Give Nordy and JC credit for this one. Folks, Nordy is the real deal and PITT is better for it.

3) Chryst seems honorable and my guess is that why he may have listened his character said NO. Just doesn’t strike me as the prostitute type we saw in Fraud Graham

4) Must be exciting for Chryst to put HIS stamp on HIS program and not live in the shadow of BA. So long as BA is alive UW will always be his program. At PITT Chryst can be the savior (Think Pop Warner, Jock Sutherland, Johhny, and Jackie). We are going on 31 years without a signature coach who can take ownership of this program. That must be appealing to Chryst. Build it yourself type guy. I am sold on the guy!

5) Jump to ACC must be a good feeling. Competing against Clemson, FSU, Miami, Gtech, Vtech, UNC must be exciting. Not sure if we hold him if we are competing against Rutgers, Temple, UConn, USF, and the next mid major. Must also be exciting to have access to the southern athlete. A different athlete indeed.

I am feeling GREAT about the future of PITT and Coach Chryst. In fact, about to purchase 6 tickets to the BBVA bowl (or whatever it is called)

Bring back the old PITT script for the ACC inaugural season and I will be completely fulfilled.

Comment by PITT FAN in ATLANTA 12.07.12 @ 1:03 pm

On a basketball note, Dana O’Neil (writing on ESPN.com about the Big East) said:

The top of the league is rock-solid strong, with six nationally relevant programs in Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Notre Dame and, yes, I’m buying — Pittsburgh

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.07.12 @ 1:05 pm

Count me in the “I don’t care why he stayed” category…We just could not afford another coaching change…Having said that, I think Chas is right on this one. My guess is the conversation went something like this: BA: “Paul, you know you’ll hit the ground running if you come here.” PC “Barry you know there is no job in college football that I would leave here for other than to come home to Wisconsin but, you and especially I will take a beating in the Press if we do this after what Pitt went through last season.” BA: “What is it going to take to convince you to take the job?” PC: About $2.5M a year and top pay for my assistants”. This was followed shortly by BA: “Paul is going to stay at Pitt.” This is the same BA that spoke glowingly about BB even though he left without talking to the AD at all. You know that had to hack BA off, but to the press he made everything roses.

Comment by HbgFrank 12.07.12 @ 1:09 pm

Big time programs don’t need buyout clauses. I want Pitt to one day become big time. I refuse to give Nordy or JC credit for putting us in this spot. They did what anyone had to do given the circumstances. Nordy, JC and SP all need to go. The sooner, the better. I want nearly (I said nearly people) as much focus on overall athletics as academics. I also want greater competence, transparency, and accountability in the athletic office. Is that too much to ask Santa?

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 1:17 pm

Looks like Wisconsin isn’t getting Butch Jones….the Vols snagged him.

link to hosted.ap.org

Comment by Jackagain 12.07.12 @ 1:37 pm

Sorry Tx Panther… love my Pitt sports but I am not buying the “nearly’ equal focus on athletics. It is the “University of Pittsburgh” as in “higher learning.”

Comment by The Turk 12.07.12 @ 1:46 pm

TX PANTHER i think after the week end it will
be OG Alex Officer.
and i think we get Foster on the 21st dont know abought boyd.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 1:47 pm

Not to be an ass, but it’s Pitt to me. I’m on here for the sports. I got my degree from Pitt. I’ve moved on. Degree not doing much for me now except providing me with an alma mater to root for. Now the university is more about sports to me and that’s why I blathe. Don’t get me wrong, I give to both the academic and athletic sides…more so academic at this point since that department isn’t incompetent.

Thanks FRANKCAN.

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 1:55 pm

No apologies necessary TX Panther.

I’m sure we are all happy with Pitt’s academic success over the years.

This is a sports blog.

As long as the university keeps telling the fans we’re in this for championships which they have with every new coach hire………..

then fans have every right to expect championships!!!

Love the academics, love the sports.

Both can co-exist, as quite a few universities show us every year in football and basketball.

You talk championships in sports, expect fans to want championships in sports.

Don’t be suprised or appalled when they do!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 2:10 pm

People talk about Pitt and it’s coaching changes…how about Cincy and Tennessee? That’s 4 in 6 years for the Vols…and Cincy can’t keep a coach at all.

Comment by Jackagain 12.07.12 @ 2:16 pm

Pitt& PSU for an additional two years.

Is the fued over?

Comment by sfpitt 12.07.12 @ 2:29 pm

Maybe PC is taking the lesson of his sone of his predecessors to heart. Wanny was a “solid Pitt guy” who left on bad terms. Foge Fazio was another Pitt guy who flopped. Or for another sport example, Ben Howland is currently flopping at his dream job. As much as some coaches may have a sentimental attachment to their roots, sometimes it can also be good to put down new roots

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 12.07.12 @ 2:38 pm

@sfpitt, sounds like it might be.

Here is something from the I know a person who knows a person who knows another person, that knows PSU’s present athletic director.

Says he has said many times, “the game should have never been discontinued”.

Sounds promising!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 2:41 pm

Very happy that the Pitt / Penn State rivalry has been extended. I attended my first Pitt / Penn State game in 1958 and went to most all home and away games until the series ended. I’m glad this rivalry is back on. What wonderful memories I have of these games. Like the time driving back from State College I successfully negotiated two 360’s on black ice and my four buddies didn’t even flinch. Pitt won the game!

HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.07.12 @ 2:46 pm

Was LOL reviewing the reader’s comments at the end of the article in the Post Gazette today announcing the extension of the Pitt-penn state game for an additional two years. After a dozen years, and apparently the emotions still run high on both sides.

What I really find funny however is the consistantly obnoxious superior attitude that the nitters continue to possess, especially considering their Sandusky pedo sex scandle cover up that is still fresh in everyone’s mind. They just make it soooo easy to hate penn state.

Personally, I will once again enjoy dusting off my old “penn state SUCKS” chant for use in the next few years. What really excites me however, is that I feel that these programs are going in different directions right now, and by that I mean that Pitt is on the up swing. I think that the quality of penn state football is going to be subpar at best come 2016, the first year that the rivalry returns, after 4 seasons of the NCAA’s limited scholarships punishment.

I just hope that Joe Paterno doesn’t F this up, oh right, he’s dead. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.07.12 @ 2:50 pm

Regardless of which team is up in an era, Pitt vs Penn State will be THE GAME as far as I’m concerned. But I’m biased.

HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.07.12 @ 2:55 pm

I would be on grave watch to make sure Zombie Joe doesn’t rise from the dead to somehow strike this deal down.

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 2:56 pm

We might hate Penn State but their fight song lyrics “….beat Pitt…” are more civil than GA Tech’s “…to hell with Georgia…”

Comment by MariettaMike 12.07.12 @ 3:08 pm

Great to see the PSU-Pitt game extended-Can’t stand the holier than thou PSU bullsh_t. Their fans just don’t get it. Was really pissed off to see the Michigan State AD come out about how the Big 10 might want to add 2 more ACC schools. What a pompous ahole. Perhaps a few ACC AD’s should start stating that perhaps we will take a few Big 10 schools- I know that wouldn’t happen but the pompous blowholes of the Big 10 really make me sick. The Big 10(minus Wisconsin)seems to think that their sh_t doesn’t stink. Good week to be a Pitt Panther fan. Hail to Pitt !!!!!!!!!

Comment by Bruce F 12.07.12 @ 3:13 pm

I’m not going to know how to act in January and February, when I usually watch the chaos of seeing which recruits defect because Pitt’s coach is gone.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.07.12 @ 3:25 pm

No question, it’s going to be nasty as schools move from conference to conference. The B1G has bragging rights now because they will pay each conference school 24.5 M /per yr once Rutgers and Maryland join B1G. I’d like to see ND join ACC for football. Who knows, maybe Pitt might move to B1G conference someday.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.07.12 @ 3:26 pm

Ours was great with the fan interjection of “Penn State Sucks”.

That was taken away to be politically correct.

Who it harmed, I’ll never know.

Penn Staters I know, have always been disappointed it was taken away. They loved it, part of the rivalry.

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 3:41 pm

here is what i dont get if something is true
it cant be a bad thing to say it.
so when you say penn state sucks penn state sucks
it is ok becuse penn state sucks.
hail to PITT.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 4:13 pm

Well now Penn State sucks has new meaning.

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 4:16 pm

LMAO, ya really.

I can see myself in the parking lot with a couple
Anchor Steams in me as some Penn St fans walk by…

“Penn State sucks, eh, if ya know what I mean, eh??? Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk”!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 12.07.12 @ 4:23 pm

@Bruce F

unless the MSU AD was referring to PITT & Cuse, that is. lol

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 4:36 pm

I’m surprised nobody has yet quoted Steve P on the PSU contract: “When other people are trying to get to the same result, it’s pretty easy,” Pederson said. RIP Joe Pa.

Comment by San Diego Panther 69 12.07.12 @ 4:36 pm

After a win at PSU, I asked a vendor if he had a Penn State sucks T-shirt.
He said no but he could carve it on my chest and he started to come over the counter at me.
Fortunately my drunken buddies pulled me away and we all staggered back to my van.
The good old days.

Comment by frank MD 12.07.12 @ 4:38 pm

Somebody will have to make a statue of SAndusky and bring it to the main lot closest to Heinz Field,

Then hang a sign on it.

reading naturally,

Penn State sucks !

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 4:41 pm

info for you all a vist on 12/17/12 DT JC
Abens Cajuste 6 foot 3 305 pounds

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 4:42 pm

Enjoy the banter my fellow Blathers. Hope the basketball team wins this Saturday and the experience impresses the hell out of the football recruits in attendance. Have a good weekend y’all. I’ll be checking back Monday.

Comment by TX Panther 12.07.12 @ 4:50 pm

Who else is recruiting him Frankie?

Good to see an additional 2 PITT/Pee Wee State games

It would be nice …eventually….to see the game moved to the last game of the season, like it always was.
So the taunting and hate of both fan bases can be built upon thru out the whole season. Leading up to the game, which was always played around
Thanksgiving Friday or Sat.

As all the big rival games are the last game of the season, OSU/Mich, UF/FSU, GT/UGA, Kansas/Wvcc

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 4:57 pm

Really if the Big 10 grabs Ga Tech and North Carolina, so what. Hello Cincy and UCONN. Its a wash. Maybe not for the all important TV viewership, but frankly I don’t care about that. I’d rather see Cincy at Heinz than NC and I seem to recall a pretty good BB rivalry between UCONN and Pitt.

Comment by HbgFrank 12.07.12 @ 5:08 pm

Alvarez revealed that the B10 expansion of Maryland and Butgers was in response to the threat that PSU might be leaving the B10 for the ACC.

Comment by spindler's spirit 12.07.12 @ 5:44 pm

I have some pretty good connections at State Penn and I have heard that PSU to the ACC rumor for about a week now. As I’ve said before, Maryland will find out how expensive it is to tote the other teams (girls BB, wrestling, gymnastices etc) to Iowa, come home then to Michigan and on and on. PSU could save a bundle by moving to the ACC.

They are our ONLY rival as far as I have ever been concern. Attended my first game in 1962 and did not miss one until 1982.

Comment by Dan 72 12.07.12 @ 6:01 pm

EMel Abens is a soft verbal to illinois
but he has 2 vists besides pitt he is looking around but to ansewer you abought 12 schools
like AZ AZS Baylor to many to list
but we are his last vist i like that.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 6:03 pm

Fortunately the B10 needs only two more teams to get to 16. What two areas are left that will give them enough TV/cable money to make up for the distribution to two more teams?

Maybe GT (second in fans to GA) but splitting NC and VA I doubt.

Comment by frank MD 12.07.12 @ 6:08 pm

EMel here is one we might pick up aregeros turner
a RB who is a soft verbel to cinci.
he had offers from illinois tenn purdue wasnington
and there coach butch jones is gone.
he is from AKRON a 3 star.
and i think we could use a RB.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 6:27 pm

Penn State to the ACC would be fantastic. I don’t think it will happen but wow, it would renew our rivalry with them across the board in all sports.

It would also put Buttgers on a cold isolated island that would be very hard to overcome.

Comment by Jeff in CPa 12.07.12 @ 6:49 pm

Interesting Dan72

I’ve heard some stuff emanating from Creepy Valley as well.

The money issue is moot, as if Ped State came into the ACC, along with ND, “All Broadwell” as we say now, would be about the same as the Little 11 after all the negotiations with our lord & master ESPN (ie. daddy sugar bucks).

And with ND, PITT, Ped State, BC, Cuse, Miami, GT and all the other somewhat smaller TV markets, a ACC network could be launched a lot easier now, than previously when it mostly smaller southern tv markets. And that increases the TV revenue even that much more.

Also I’m hearing PSU might want a clean do over or restart if you like in the ACC after they come off probation. And they’re not real happy how the Little 11 “piled on” after the NCAA penalties

Also they don’t really have a school that considers them “The Rival” (lol while now MD & RU will hope to become that “Rival”, but that’s gonna always be a one-sided thing as it won’t be felt on the PSU side) and they haven’t liked being treated as a step-child all these years. PLUS, lightweights MD AND Buttgers are being placed in their conf, which means those recruiting territories that were dominated by the Nitters all these years, being the only Big 10 team that recruited there, will now HAVE TO BE SHARED.

So as you can see, there was some sentiment out there in Creepy Valley, BEFORE the Little 11 penalties and BEFORE MD & RU into the L1G and BEFORE ND to the ACC, now that that has all happened, it just adds that much more fuel to the fire, so to speak.

So it’s back to normal now on the Blather, we can talk about Expansionapocolypse again. :-)

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 6:50 pm

Good stuff, Frankie,

Since your our recruiting guru, how many scholies do we have left to offer?

The RB from Akron sounds enticing, is he a bulldozer type like Shell or a gamebreaker/scatback like Ray Ray ?

We need the later type imo.

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 6:53 pm

Interesting talk out of penn st. Doubt if they make the jump,but it does make a ton of sense. The big whatever ismtrying to appease penn st with lowly Maryland and Rutgers. My guess is that it isn’t going over we’ll. PITT and SU were likely preferred by penn st.

My guess is the Swoffard is wheeling and dealing on possible penn st defection. Dangling ACC network, natural rival (PITT) , less travel, and surer route to national championship. The only problem… That 24 M payout from BIG whatever. If big daddy (ESPN) and agree to renegotiate a deal for a 16 team ACC with Penn St then this will get interesting.

All of the Cards are in ESPN’s hands. Will get interesting in the next 2-3 years when those scholarship losses kick in and the Big whatever continues to treat penn st like red headed step child

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 12.07.12 @ 7:17 pm

They were worried about PSU leaving all that money? LOL.

No one is leaving the Big Ten. Too much money. Too much prestige.

Comment by Chris 12.07.12 @ 8:16 pm

Yea well the money issue would be null & void with both ND & PSU in the ACC. Heck it might be null & void with just ND “all broadwell”

And the ACC is a more prestigious conference Academic wise. So that issue is a moot point right now.

And sports wise, for ALL sports the ACC is better.

The only prestige PSU gets is that of a step-child and now worse.

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 8:22 pm

The only question is…would the ACC want a program serving a 4 year probation with ALL that baggage.

Next time I see Swofford in Charlotte I’ll ask. lol

Comment by Emel 12.07.12 @ 8:26 pm

Cant wait for the PSU series to begin again it was the 2nd biggest travesty from JoePa, The 2018 game will be my sons 21st bday so that should be an interesting day

Comment by toga toga toga 12.07.12 @ 8:26 pm

GT to the Big Ten! What a joke. No one in GA or Atlanta cares. They forever sealed their fate by leaving the SEC just when it was set to soar. BTN will eventually have to face the dilution of its brand. I’ll take UCONN right now in place of GT.
UCONN to the Bug ten makes more sense.
PSU will come if ND does and vice versa. If that happens first, no one in their right mind would leave the ACC.
PSU is never, repeat, NEVER going to take the Big Ten away from OSU and UofM. Never. For God’s sake, PSU has lost about 80% of their games against those two. In hoops, PSU has lost something like 15 straight to OSU! How pathetic is that?!
They will always be second rate occupants.
In the ACC however, they won’t have that problem.
Time will tell but I bring PSU and ND in with an offer no one can refuse!

Comment by SFPitt 12.07.12 @ 8:33 pm

It would make the ACC one of the power conferences if Penn State and ND joined. I think the only way you get either is if you get both. Not to add to the conspiracy theory, but the timing of Penn State increasing their annual games with Pitt could have more to it than meets the eye.

Comment by Floyd 12.07.12 @ 8:58 pm

This Alverez press conference ticked me off. Apparently Chryst was approached by Alverez to gauge interest as it was explained to me by the big ten network. Chryst could have had the job I was told which led me to ask so Chryst turned them down. Quickly I was told he didn’t turn it down since it was not formally offered to him.

Then Alverez gives this press conference to make it sound like it was his idea.

Alverez said they also turned away a school from the big 10 for acedemic reasons and expansion was to appease Penn St.

Comment by Freebird 12.07.12 @ 9:58 pm

EMel as far as scholies go my thought is we
are going to go over the 25 limt i think we will take 30 commits and fit then in some how.
cinci took 28 last year.
and the RB is a fast one .

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.07.12 @ 10:21 pm

Penn State for so many years was the standard bearer for eastern football. Since joining the Big Ten they’ be been treated as a outsider. When Joe PA suggested adding Pitt or Syracuse, they blew him off. Penn State wanted one or two eastern teams in the conference. Other than a larger payout, I think the ACC would be a better fit for them. Do I think they make the jump? No, but I would love to see them in the conference as Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 12.07.12 @ 10:24 pm

First game I go to at Beaver stadium, I am making a full size paterno zombie replica that I will have dance during zombie nation until then end, when a panther alienesque creature bursts out of his chest and puts him back in the grave… So what if I have to pony up for 2 seats, worth it.

Comment by Benzene 12.08.12 @ 2:32 am

Not sure GA Tech will join B1G Conference, but Clemson might. Dan Radacovich, a PA boy, resigned as AD at Tech in late October and joined Clemson. Radacovich was in favor of moving Tech out of ACC.
Dan was instrumental in screwing up Tech’s football season tickets seats requiring “donations” to reserve seats in Bobby Dodd stadium. Given that Tech has the same proble that Pitt has filling seats, the season ticketholders didn’t take kindly to their AD.

Tech is still looking for an Athletic Director to replace Dan, maybe Steve should apply. On second thought, I wouldn’t wish Steve on my second alma mater. But… HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.08.12 @ 8:11 am