December 5, 2012

A Potential Deterrent

Filed under: Chryst,Coaches,Football — Chas @ 8:11 am

We know Pitt fans weren’t the only ones stunned and spooked by Fraud Graham’s run to Tempe last December. The Pitt administration also did not like it. So, one way to slow the chances of a quick exit: a sizable buyout.

Via Greg Giannotti of 93.7 The Fan:

That’s a sizable number if true. It also is totally believable that it would be that high in the wake of 2011, but we don’t know for sure. A buyout that shrinks each year is not uncommon. The question is whether it really starts at that number.

Wisconsin obviously has money. More than Pitt in terms of access to funds. Yet, that might be a bit too much to swallow. Plus it is unlikely that Wisconsin would be offering Chryst so much more money than Pitt that Chryst would be paying the buyout from his own pocket.

One more piece of the intrigue.

Alvarez for President

Comment by steve1 12.06.12 @ 11:49 am

Any chance we could get Alvarez for AD at Pitt? I wish.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.06.12 @ 11:55 am

Great Christmas present to Pitt from Chryst and Alvarez.

Now to get Foster, Boyd, and all.

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 12:19 pm

Very Happy Pitt fan!!
Let’s go Pitt

Comment by Bruce F 12.06.12 @ 12:20 pm

Alvarez as Athletic Director would terrific, but he built the Wisconsin program. He revitalized the program as head football coach and hand picked his successor. He will be a Wisconsin guy until he retires. There is a lot to like about Barry Alvarez. He remains fond of western PA and even though they had an outstanding offensive coordinator, he went out of his way to help him get the Pitt job. Not many people would do what Alvarez did.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 12:20 pm

Now I can go back to work.

HAIL TO PITT!

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 12:23 pm

Great news! Our football coach will not be pursued by Wisconsin. Now, lets hope an AD from another school does not steal him. HTP

HTP

Comment by MariettaMike 12.06.12 @ 12:29 pm

Agree with Justinian that I can now get back to work! Alvarez confirms what a true Western PA person is all about!

Comment by Bruce F 12.06.12 @ 12:30 pm

Maybe if Chryst does great things and gets to know Pittsburgh really well (like we do) he may like to stay long time. Pitt must pay money to keep good coaches including OCs and DCs and etc.

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 12:32 pm

Barry Alvarez at today’s presser …

“I wouldn’t think it would be right for him to leave after one year. I wouldn’t feel right, and I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to hire him back after I asked someone to do me a favor and help him get that job,” Alvarez said. “So Paul’s going to stay at Pitt.”

“I asked some very good friends of mine to help Paul get that job,” Alvarez said. “I think Paul has already come out and said that he’s committed to Pitt. I think he should be committed to Pitt.”

Comment by Hoopzebra 12.06.12 @ 12:39 pm

Pitt Nation breathes a collective sigh of relief.

HTP

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 12:39 pm

Hand down, putting ice back in the gin to sip, not slurp !

Comment by CompLit 12.06.12 @ 12:42 pm

And let’s hope Barry picks a great coach that leads Wisky to many victories and many Rose Bowls and wants to stay at Wisky for a long time!!!

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 12:45 pm

Now everyone should thank Chryst as well.

Comment by Pitt it IS 12.06.12 @ 12:49 pm

My father was a big Alvarez fan way back and lamented Pitt opting for Hackett over Alvarez when Gottfried was canned (the real start of Pitt’s football downward slide IMO). Hackett did teach the single greatest ball fake ever to Alex Van Pelt — who could have though he wouldn’t be a great HC? Alvarez = mensch

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 12.06.12 @ 12:52 pm

Mike Vukovcan, sports producer at KDKA-TV tweeted:

Comes down to is this: Barry Alvarez/Paul Chryst = class Todd Graham = ass

๐Ÿ˜€

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 12:58 pm

Also saw this out in Tweeterland:

Alvarez: I asked some very close friends of mine to help Paul Chryst get his job. I think he should be committed to Pitt.

You mean there is still something called honor and integrity still out there? There may still be hope for us.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:01 pm

Alvarez: “I won’t use a search committee. Most search committees use me.”

๐Ÿ˜€

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:08 pm

Hope with Alvarez’s statement everything returns to normal here. Tried to tell everyone not to worry. Both Alvarez and Chryst class acts, a rare commodity in today’s college environment.

We now return you to your normal programming:)

Comment by John In South Carolina 12.06.12 @ 1:13 pm

Yes Virginia, there IS integrity in college athletics.

Comment by pghFred 12.06.12 @ 1:14 pm

@pghFred:

Indeed there is. Just not much of it. Thankfully, we finally found some this time.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:27 pm

Yes, the decision to hire Paul Hacket over Barry Alvarez ranks right up there, with the old Steelers cutting all time great Johnny Unitas.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 1:27 pm

Prediction: Now the naysayers will say Steve Pederson should be fired for hiring a coach that even a middle of the road program in the mediocre Big 10 like Wisconsin doesnโ€™t want back.

And/or, for not giving said coach (which Wiscy doesn’t want back) a monster raise and extension, even before his first season is finished.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.06.12 @ 1:29 pm

Christmas wish list.
Chryst – check
Foster
Boyd
JoJo
Did my priorities anything so far?

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 1:57 pm

The “dream job” refrain is really tired… my dream job is the one that pays me the most money for the least amount of work and pays me substantially to go away and thus never need another job … but I digress

If Chryst knew last year that he could wait one year for UW job to open no one would have begrudged him declining Pitt, however many favors Alvarez pulled to get him an offer. Let’s face it — we’d like Chryst to work out long term, but you never what the future will bring for Pitt or for coach. He’s young enough that he could get another shot at UW in the futre and still be able to look at himself in the mirror every day unlike Fraud.

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 12.06.12 @ 2:33 pm

I agree with you Ghost. I think Wisconsin may be in Chryst’s long range plans but he is committed to Pitt and vice versa at least until his current contract expires. Both Chryst and Alvarez appear to be class acts and I am very happy to have Chryst as our coach.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 2:43 pm

Funny story nothing to do nothing with Pitt…

A couple of quotes from Viking LB Chad Greenway to Viking fans for big game against the bears.

“We have to play accordingly and our fans have to show up accordingly, which we know they will. Hopefully, they’re super-duper drunk. … So drink liquor, not beer,” he said after Minnesota’s loss to Green Bay last Sunday, according to the Star Tribune”.

“Yeah, I would say morning drinking,” Greenway said, according to the newspaper. “Why not? You could pull an all-nighter. Then you’d have the drunk, tired guys who will really be obnoxious.”

I wonder if Pitt fans will every get this request!!

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 2:46 pm

So now, let’s root for Chryst to earn a name for himself at Pitt. Ranking right up there with Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill would be nice in about five years. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.06.12 @ 3:03 pm

The Fan? absolutely anti Pitt, they all suck and should be removed from Pittsburgh, send them to Cleveland.
The only one who is not negative is Vinny and he is from NY.

Comment by frankarms 12.06.12 @ 3:04 pm

You know the old saying … “you don’t know what you have until you lost (almost) it”.

Paul Chryst just sealed his fate as one of the most beloved PITT HC’s since Jackie and Johnny in the 1970’s – early 80’s.

Great to see that people still have character (Chryst AND Alvarez). Class acts for sure. I would let my boys play for this guy any day!

Comment by PITT FAN in ATLANTA 12.06.12 @ 3:06 pm

I have a new 2nd favorite team, the Badgers. I will be watching and rooting for them in the Rose Bowl this year and hope to see them avenge their OT loss to PSU next year starting a 10 year cosecutive win streak.
I hope their HC selection works out well and they dominate the B10 over the biggest two-faced jerk in D1 football, Urban Meyer.
PC still has much to prove, however it looks like we’ll be able to see him develop at least for awhile. Lets start the new Pitt era with a bowl win and get some recruits that will fire up the fan base and re-load he talent pool.

Comment by Taxing Matters 12.06.12 @ 3:07 pm

Now that we can move on to other topics. For those interested there is an article on ESPN regarding the 15 presidents of the ACC schools issuing a statement saying there will be no more defections and that they are united. Take it for what its worth.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 3:51 pm

@Wardapalooza
Now is the time to shore up the dam.
Just because other people lie doesn’t make Pedersons lies about attendance tolerable. Liars lie. That is why they are called liars.
Pederson didn’t fire Harris it is true, so I should have been clear that it was just the athletic department who has treated Pitt football like last week’s newspaper and made it carpet for the dog.
While Long was canning Harris, Pederson was trying to ruin Nebraska’s football program by firing Frank Solich and hiring Bill Callahan.
We dodged this bullet folks, we won’t dodge the next one with pederson at the helm.
Callahan, Haywood, Graham, Cristobal (his choice).
Anyone else would be out on the street.

Comment by sfpitt 12.06.12 @ 4:15 pm

class trumps bravado. we fans have been all over the map about coach’s demeanor. he’s not flashy enough.. he doesn’t get excited at pressers. he doesn’t go overboard in reassurances. but he says what he means and means what he says. works for me.

keep calm

hail to pitt

Comment by pittkeith 12.06.12 @ 4:35 pm

i made a copy of all the i love paul posts , lets see if the honeymoon lasts. lets see if our donations and attendence rebound ,or will we be the same old pittttttttttttttttttttttt ,u and only u can stop the cur……………

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 4:37 pm

Paul, I’ve been a Pitt fan all my life and I don’t think I am over critical. I do want to see good football and I don’t like phoneys. I am glad Tod Graham is gone and I’m even happier that Paul Chryst will be staying at Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 5:27 pm

Classy all the way around.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.06.12 @ 5:39 pm

just wanna win like everyone else,I’ll be there paul or not, but its great to have him stay

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 6:06 pm

This situation could be used to Chryst’s advantage to assure future recruits of his loyalty to the program, which should also create the feel of future stability in their minds. Come on in Foster and Boyd lets make this a top 25 recruiting class and really get this show on the road goin into the ACC!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.06.12 @ 7:33 pm

I would add that recruiting should be improved by noting that the team that is going to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year wanted OUR GUY, not the coach at Miami, VTECH, etc…

Comment by SFPitt 12.06.12 @ 8:05 pm

Send me my season tickets for 2013. History is going to be made next year! Keep an eye on Shakir Soto, a Wilkes-Barre DE, enrolling in January. Go Pitt! Beat Ole Miss!

Comment by barreman 12.06.12 @ 8:59 pm

Whew! Now I can have those 60 minute IPAs just because its Friday. Don’t need the trauma and drama as motivation. HTP! Go HCPC, Lets give Old Miss fits!

Comment by opfim 12.07.12 @ 12:04 am

ward and kanyon, sfpitt is correct. Extend Chryst? ABSOLUTELY!!! Why did Bill Obrien get a 9 year contract? Answer the question Ward and Kanyon. He got 9 years before he went 8-4. He got it because of stability. PSU needed to show recruits and their fan base that they were committed to a coach andthe coach was committed to the program! It is simple.

Hang out in a big time athletic department for a couple of months and you will see that Pederson has it all wrong. He is handcuffing Paul Chryst and nobody cares. I think he has 4 years left on his contract now. You do the math. An incoming recruit has 5 years of eligibility and the coach is tied up for 4 years. Hmmmm, the math says the coach may not be here when a new recruit is a redshirt senior. That my friends, is a recipe for disaster.

And sf is right. This is natural selection. The survival of the fittest. The strong feed off the weak. For those that mention Tressel, please know that he will join the Michigan State staff (Dantonio) when his time is near. The pair of them golf alot together in Michigan. They fly under the radar and play many semi-private courses. Gotta love the OSU and MSU golf bags together on a cart! Fun guys.

Paul Chryst will win big if Pederson leaves him alone or gets canned. I prefer the canning. He is a joke on the Big10 campuses.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.07.12 @ 12:22 am