December 5, 2012

A Potential Deterrent

Filed under: Chryst,Coaches,Football — Chas @ 8:11 am

We know Pitt fans weren’t the only ones stunned and spooked by Fraud Graham’s run to Tempe last December. The Pitt administration also did not like it. So, one way to slow the chances of a quick exit: a sizable buyout.

Via Greg Giannotti of 93.7 The Fan:

That’s a sizable number if true. It also is totally believable that it would be that high in the wake of 2011, but we don’t know for sure. A buyout that shrinks each year is not uncommon. The question is whether it really starts at that number.

Wisconsin obviously has money. More than Pitt in terms of access to funds. Yet, that might be a bit too much to swallow. Plus it is unlikely that Wisconsin would be offering Chryst so much more money than Pitt that Chryst would be paying the buyout from his own pocket.

One more piece of the intrigue.

My money says Alvarez jumps back in the saddle for a couple years and keeps the spot warm and then Chryst heads back to Wisky. Just a hunch, but we’ll see.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 8:14 am

When will this be over? If he is going to
make change hope it is this week. His
statement was not forceful. It should have
read as follows:

I am not a candidate for any of the current vacant
head coaching positions. I am committed
to building the Pitt’s football program.

Comment by JR 12.05.12 @ 8:17 am

@ Chas — A good point, but would you, as an employer, try to keep an employee who wants to go to another job? Besides, every college / university has a deep pocketed alum who is willing to help out — look at WVU…

Regardless of how this situation at Wisconsin plays out, we will still be Pitt fans and will support our school. Given the way our players have been jerked around, they should be conditioned to accept their fate. I once worked for a company that moved our offices every six months just so we would not get to comfortable — a poor plan but it conditioned us to accept change.

We all want stability in our football program but we just have to go with the flow.

H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 8:24 am

“Follow the money!” Truly. our society is ill/ Everything seems predicated on mammon! What ever happened to morals, integrity, commitment, keeping one’s word. Yes, I am a cleric and may look at the world in a less than popular way, but the college sports scene is becoming a joke!! A less than humorous joke! The media, as usual, is fanning the flames. Well, isn’t that it’s job?? Permit me a thought or two: First, I’d like to commend Coach Paul Chryst for his forthright and honorable statement of last evening on his committment and endorsement of the Panther grid program. Secondlt, I encourage the Pitt administration to reaffirm its committment to him by extending his contract. Nothing, not even the almighty dollar, superesdes LOYALTY. Thirdly, I hopr the Steel City fandom will cease its nitpicking and give evidence of its support for Mr. Chryst AND HIS STAFF. I, for one believe Pitt has in place a man who places virtue above revenue. Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 12.05.12 @ 8:29 am

@ Rev. George — Unfortunately, you look through life in rose colored glasses. In this day, there is no loyalty to a job — that’s so 50’s – 70’s. Today, it’s about now and the almighty $$. I wish you were right in your view on life but the truth in this situation is that Paul is a cheesehead and will go home if Wisconsin makes him an offer. I hope I’m wrong but…

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 8:35 am

@JR Completely right. I was terrified by his statement. In a way, it was worse than having not said anything.

Comment by MikePITT 12.05.12 @ 8:35 am

If Chryst were thinking of going, I can’t see him texting the recruits that he’s going to stay at Pitt. He’s got too much integrity to do that to those kids. This guy is the Anti Fraud Graham.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 8:36 am

Wiscy has more revenues than Pitt but it seems Wisconsin isn’t willing to spend that money on coaches. Beilema got 6 years at 3.2 million which is a total of 19.2 million. I’m assuming Wisconsin wasn’t willing to match the total, which means they won’t spend more than 19.2 million on their next headcoach, because why would you let your proven successful coach leave? So applying that to Chryst you have the 6 million dollar buy out bringing it down to paying Chryst 13.2 million in 6 years or 2.2 million per year. So basically if Wiscy was to even match Chryst’s current Pitt salary they would be paying more to an unproven headcoach than they would have paid to their coach who just left. Doesn’t make that much sense. But who knows.

Comment by Wardapalooza 12.05.12 @ 8:39 am

PC isn’t going any where. They contacted recruits and he released a statement.

Comment by notrocketscience 12.05.12 @ 8:41 am

Marietta, I don’t believe everyone is wed to the almighty dollar although there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. How many coaches have failed going back to their Alma maters? There are a lot of fan expectations when going home. Look at Wanny and Majors as examples. I look for the best in people and believe PC. HTP!

Comment by BARREMAN 12.05.12 @ 8:53 am

I hope Chryst stays for all the obvious reasons, but I could not blame him or anyone else for leaving a job these days because most employers are not loyal to employees. Case in point: look what Stevie P. did to Wanny.

Comment by AJ 12.05.12 @ 9:01 am

notrocketscience – if he’s not interested in the Wisconsin job it sure wouldve been nice for him to say that in his statement.

“I understand the speculation surrounding my name given today’s developments. *I have no interest in the job at the University of Wisconsin*.”

That’s all it would take. I can understand the reasons he didn’t say that – from truly considering the job, to not wanting to offend Wisconsin with a quick ‘no’ or Pitt with a quick ‘yes’, etc. But his statement was no question a pretty squishy commitment to Pitt.

Comment by Brendan 12.05.12 @ 9:09 am

The ties to Wisconsin are really a concern. PC is a devote family man. Mother still living albeit with some health issues and daughter in high school – all back in Wisconsin.

Comment by DJS 12.05.12 @ 9:10 am

I’m curious why Bielema left Wisky. Is Arkansas a better job than Wisky? I doubt his new salary will be that much more than the Wisky money. Maybe he doesn’t like recruiting against OSU? Maybe there are hidden violations? Something just doesn’t seen right for this guy to make this move.

Comment by DC33 12.05.12 @ 9:10 am

The people who run our country are arguing over a budget and the root of the discussion is $$ — who should get some and who should give some. Not that politics is our situation but there is a common denominator — $$. Believe me, it’s about money, always. The only salvation we have is if Wisconsin is not willing to step up to the bar and ante up. $5 mil is a lot of cash for no return. Let’s hope $$ saves our coach. H@P!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 9:11 am

Wisky is NOT going to pay that money to get Chyrst.
Bielema was being paid $2.5 million/yr…
Did not match Arkansas… if so, would have cost an extra 1million/yr.
Makes sense of $6million buyout…
1st year, $6million
2nd year, $4million
3rd year, $2million
4th year.. $0
Contract expires after 5 years… and extension will not have any buyout clause.
The question is what it costs Pitt to fire after 3 years.

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 9:13 am

“Picking apart the statement as not strong enough is silly. What would you like him to do? Walk up and down 5th Ave with a bull horn stating his intentions.”

Yes. That’s a good start, anyway.

Comment by 85 12.05.12 @ 9:18 am

@ DC33 — The college football landscape is changing and will never be the same. I don’t see Arkansas’s football program being any better than Wisconsin’s. There must be unhappiness at Wisconsin that allowed their coach to leave. Perhaps Alvarez was too hands-on, only the cheese heads know. My only guess, as you know, $$. The Wal-Mart Walton’s have a lot of cash and ties to the University of Arkansas.

I still can’t get over Alvarez recommending Chryst to Pitt… H2P!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 9:24 am

Article (I believe in AP) says WI players want Chryst. Also rumor Chapman got Chryst tweet to visit Pitt this weekend. Who knows as the world turns, usually on money.

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 9:45 am

@Joe D
Pitt is not going to fire Chryst. You need to get off your anti-Chryst bandwagon. He is a good coach and the best hire Pitt has made in a long time.

Comment by Floyd 12.05.12 @ 9:46 am

I agree that if the staff is contacting recruits and telling them they’re staying, that says alot. I still believe that PC is a character guy and will stay and I wish him and the program much future success. HTP!

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 12.05.12 @ 9:53 am

Ok so you have the Waltons w/deep pockets. Why throw the money @ Bielema? Why not offer Saban if money is no object. Something feels strange about this move. Also, Bielema’s style of football doesn’t fit w/the razorbacks.

Comment by DC33 12.05.12 @ 9:54 am

Chryst is a good offensive coordinator, but the verdict is out on him as a head coach. An up and down 6-6 season proves nothing and is a valid reason to be concerned about his ability to be a good head coach. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he is fired in 3 years or if he wins the ACC in 3 years.

Comment by Wardapalooza 12.05.12 @ 9:54 am

Plans within plans….

Let’s review some thoughts…

1.) PC is an honorable guy who is being forced to consider honor vs. $
2.) He was just learning the ins and outs of being a HC. Not just football, but the management thereof;
3.) Did he not have several deep-pocketed Pitt Alums in his corner against SP?
4.) Are those alums now whispering in PC’s ear – Stand by your honor, if you can, but you have SP (and Pitt) in a position for you to fund the football management side (and perhaps Nordy to have SP move on with his life’s work?) I don’t think the Pitt $ is on SP’s side.
5.) So, PC – play it close to the vest for a few days, you make up your mind, but let us work in the background if honor wins.

Remember that the Alums with $$$ and a distaste for SP, didn’t accummulate their wealth by being stupid in business and playing all their cards at once.

Just a thought behind the PC comments/annoucement.

Comment by CompLit 12.05.12 @ 9:58 am

Arkansas is paying Bret 3.2 mil a year. Jerry Jones might have put his nose in the Arkansas hiring. Most of the time Jerry Jones gets what he wants. I noticed he had some quotes out before ESPN picked up the story.

Chryst leaving Pitt could destroy our FB team to the levels of PSU for the next 5 to 7 yrs. But I can’t fault the guy for going home. He grew up there. Played QB and coached there for several yrs. He was blindsided like everyone else when hearing Bret left. Chryst was thinking done the road going back to Wisc if opening came available. He didn’t expect it to be in one year. I think a lot of us on here feared down the road Wisc may come calling for Chryst. We didn’t expect it would be in a year either.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 9:58 am

another coach just became available
From Footballscoop in shocking news, we have learned that head coach Mario Cristobal has been let go. More to come…

link to footballscoop.com

Comment by giveitarest 12.05.12 @ 9:58 am

I have to think Wisconsin had a few days to prep.
Money is always an issue, but just because you have it doesn’t mean you throw it away.
A fool and his money…
I see Alvarez righting the ship in the same vein as Synder at KSU.
Chryst strikes me as being his own man. Going “home” is not always what it is cracked up to be. Glory doesn’t seem to be his goal and Wisconsin does not need to be saved.
He stays and builds at Pitt.

Comment by SFPitt 12.05.12 @ 10:01 am

There is another factor in this equation of possibly losing our head coach, again — his wife. If she want’s to go back home Paul will give in. Women have that power as you know. Integrity aside, men crumble under pressure from women. Just ask a four-star general.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 10:07 am

I read this morning Alvarez wants to coach the Rose Bowl. He might just want to see if he still has the desire to coach. I think Alvarez coaching the team past the Rose Bowl will be determined by who is interested in Wisc job.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 10:09 am

I know how Pitt fans love the gloom and doom that sometimes goes with being a Pitt fan (although my wife says I’m a moron for always trying to be optimistic). But let me throw this out there. Maybe PC really likes it here. Likes the administration, his staff, his players. Wants to lead his players on to the field for their first ACC game wearing their new Pitt script helmets (I hope). There is a lot to like about Pitt. Maybe he does. I for one have faith in him. HAIL!

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 12.05.12 @ 10:09 am

For what it’s worth, A source says Paul misses Wisc…

link to twincities.com

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 10:17 am

I’m glad I’m retired and can focus on this Wisconsin thing because if I still worked, I’d have a hard time focusing because I still can’t believe Pitt is in this situation, again. Oh my.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 10:18 am

Does the curse of Pitt Football or is Chryst our saviour? Sorry for the hyperbole, but one does have to wonder. Most say it started when Sherrill left, but I think we used up all of our luck in 1976. Sherrill had the best personnel in college football and each year we came up one game short.

Since he left, we have not mattered on the National stage.

When will we bottom out and turn the corner? Most of us hope that Chryst is the man to make us relevant again. If he leaves we lose another year of recruits and start another new system. Oh brother! As I said many times, it is hard to be a Pitt Fan.

Comment by gc 12.05.12 @ 10:29 am

Here’s what Chris Peak had to say on The Fan this morining:

link to pittsburgh.cbslocal.com

There’s an audio link to the whole interview on that page (for some reason, I couldn’t get it to load).

Peak also said he expects Robert Foster and Tyler Boyd have Pitt at the top of their lists despite the rumors.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 10:30 am

we had to marry this guy for 4 yrs ,no dating we really don t know him.hope it works out, looks likes the curse continues ,it is sad to not be relevent

Comment by paul shannon 12.05.12 @ 10:32 am

Does the curse of Pitt Football continue? Brain moves faster than the fingers.

Comment by gc 12.05.12 @ 10:32 am

read that alvarez may have known his head coach was leaving for past two weeks? hard to know what is going on and it is frustrating.

Comment by nw pa pitt fan 12.05.12 @ 10:36 am

I hope we know either way soon…Foster scheduled to announce his decision on the 21st at CV…hopefully it will be a Merry Christmas for Pitt fans with Chryst coming back and Foster announcing his choice of Pitt over Bama

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 10:36 am

If we get a recruit over Bama, it shows that Pitt is on the right track.

Comment by Lou G 12.05.12 @ 10:38 am

Mario Cristobal fired

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 10:42 am

Frank,
Cristobal was dancing with USF…
Even though FIU signed him through 2017 just this past summer… negotiations were testy. He always used other jobs knocking on his door to get a raise the past 3 years.
Good for FIU…
they were not going to bend over…
the president is jewish and doesn’t take that crap… he wants and demands loyalty.

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 10:48 am

Uh..Joe D? Cristobal never asked for a raise. I don’t know where you get that info from, but remember Cristobal declined the Rutgers job, and when the school asked him if he wanted a raise he said no because of budget reasons.

Comment by Lou G 12.05.12 @ 10:59 am

Great hire for Wis would be Butch Jones.
Go get him Wisky!

Comment by JR 12.05.12 @ 11:07 am

The problem w/the job in Ark is you have
to live there. Yes the Walton’s have spent
huge sums upgrading all aspects of the
university. However it is not a highly
desire able place to live. Been there many times
on business

Comment by JR 12.05.12 @ 11:12 am

Joe D cristobal screwed him self bye not takeing
the job last year and he would have had 3 years
to prove him self he went from the next hot coach
to a no were coach.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 11:18 am

Frank.. RE: Cristobal..
His wife screwed him… and I’m glad to see FIU stand up and say… FU Cristobal… go play those ego games elsewhere.

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 11:34 am

@ JR — but a 700K salary increase makes life more livable, even in Arkansas. We also don’t know why a coach, who is taking his team to a major bowl game, is leaving. Unfortunately, we just have to wait to see how things play out. If Chryst does go to Wisconsin, I hope he decides soon and not drag us through several weeks of waiting for the hammer to fall.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 11:35 am

First off, Greg Gionatti is a complete toolbag and contributes to the worst product in Pgh Radio, The FAN.

ok, thats all. $6M is nothing, people.

Comment by HLandPitt 12.05.12 @ 11:39 am

I really didn’t want Christobal. I wanted someone solid who ran a pro-style offence. The top players want to be in pro systems. We’re not in the southwest. Western PA over the years has produced good linemen and good traditional style quarterbacks. As much as everyone would like to recruit in south Florida, most of our players come from the area we are in.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 11:40 am

HlandPitt…
The question to ask.. why didn’t Wisky match or come close???
Bielema was at 2.5million…
if Wisky was NOT willing to go to 3.5million… they sure are NOT going to pay 6million exit fee for Chryst..

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 11:42 am

Justinian…
and that is why the record is 6-6…
Pro-style is fine…
but you need to recruit the best if you want to be the best… or at least Top25… and there is NOT an abundance of those type players in wpial anymore.

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 11:44 am

IF Chryst leaves and i hope he does not i want
a pitt man to replace him we need some one to be here year after year no more one and done coachs.
i would not even care if it were tinos dad.
tinos dad would be my number 3 pick but i could live with it, AS long as it was a pitt man.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 11:46 am

MariettaMike, Your comments about being glad you’re retired, because you wouldn’t getting anything done at work are on the money. BECAUSE I am at work……………and I’m not getting anything done.

Oh well, hopefully this all blows over and we still get to keep our coach…….and our recruits!

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 11:47 am

Reply to JoeD’s “The question to ask.. why didn’t Wisky match or come close???”

By all accounts that I’ve read, Bielema is a real butthead, very difficult to work with/for.

I’m speculating, but perhaps it’s as simple as Alvarez finally got fed up with his act, and saw this as a chance to rid himself of the headache without paying a buyout, and perhaps saving a few bucks in the process.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.05.12 @ 11:47 am

Zero chance Christobal will come. Any guy that has a chance of leaving in a couple years will receive no interview from Pitt. If Chryst leaves, it shows buyouts don’t mean anything. Now I don’t think Chryst will leave but if he does, we are getting a homer. I guy that really has no chance of leaving Pitt. That being said, it might be a Pasqualoni type hire. A guy no one will want.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 11:48 am

Joe D – From everything I have been reading Barry Alvarez and Bielema did not get along and this season didn’t help him.. Sure they are going to the Rose, but by default because of the bowl ban situation. They were 8-5 and underachieved in most Wiscy fans eyes. It seems like the folks up in Madison attribute the recent success more to Chryst, Bostad, and Doeren than Bielema. So maybe BA thought he could get better use out of an extra 4MM with someone else.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 11:48 am

@ Joe D — I hope your logic works but… Unfortunately, the salaries college football coaches make today is absurd. But it’s about the $$, always.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 11:49 am

Oh yeah…and Wiscy will get an extra 1MM from Bielema/Arkansas in the form of his own buyout. Not too shabby if they weren’t to thrilled with him anyway.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 11:51 am

Giannotti and the morning show is the best and really only part worth listening to on the Fan — other than Pitt broadcasts, of course.

For those who want Chryst to clearly slam the door on Wisky, it’s unrealistic. Even if he stays at Pitt, which I think he’ll do, he is still a Wisconsin guy through and through. Why should we expect him to blow them off before even having been contacted by them. It’d be a poorly planned insult on his part — who’s to say they may not come calling again in three or four years, and at that point it’s fair to think he’d consider it.

Comment by JW 12.05.12 @ 11:52 am

Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

1) Nordy made sure that whomever he signed after Fraud left that he covered PITT exposure (early departure again). Thus I am certain that Nordy had some huge financial obstacles to deter from “quick feet syndrome”. Nordy and Cochran together likely made sure that this was in the contract

2) Coach Chryst seems like an honarable man so I am not sure that he would make a quick decision about leaving PITT when the first option presented itself. He isnt Fraud or Christobal.

3) Barry Alvarez and Wisconsin probably have known that they would be without a coach for at least 1-2 weeks. Arkansas has known who their target was for a long time as the former coach was a dead man walking since October. Bet your last dollar that they had been in contact with the Wisconsin guy for a while and the coach let Wisconsin know once he knew it was a done deal (prior to Big Whatever Championship)

4) Wisconsin likely has their man already. They are being mum about it. Can’t believe that the Badger coach would leave Wisconsin and Alvarez on a minutes notice without tipping their hand. He is a Wisconsin guy who “got an offer that he couldnt turn down” $$$) Likely suspect… Butch Jones Cincy (everyone else is gone and he is the next biggest name from an up and coming school who hasn’t announced he destination).

5) PITT likely will hold on to Chryst for now. Not sure that he will be here the next go round but he is probably staying for a number of reason.

I am glad that we didnt go for Christobal. We don’t need a coach with a wandering eye. Chryst doesn’t seem like that type of guy… but we shall see.

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 12.05.12 @ 11:56 am

Marietta Mike– I think we can assume the SEC is a step up from the Big 10. Also Wisconsin wouldn’t be in the RB if the good teams weren’t on suspension. I think Bielema saw a great oppurtunity and went for it. might be as simple as that.

Comment by oklahomeboy 12.05.12 @ 11:58 am

Butch Jones is a Michigan guy, born and raised there, went to school in the state (but not in Ann Arbor), coached at one of the directional Michigan schools. Highly unlikely he’d go to Wisconsin. But, I’ve been wrong before.

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.05.12 @ 12:01 pm

The Pitt coaching curse has reached epic proportions…not only if you coach here you leave after a year, but if you’re associated with Pitt coaching you lose your job after a year (Cristobal). We’re Chernobyl now guys!

Comment by J Bizz 12.05.12 @ 12:03 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Bielma is actually an Iowa guy.

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 12:29 pm

@ Oklahomeboy — valid points.
@ JBizz — Let’s not get carried away. No curse on Pitt just poor timing, again.

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 12:30 pm

@ Dan you are right…he is an Iowa guy and I have seen a lot of “good riddance” talk coming from the folks in Madtown on twitter and other boards.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 12:35 pm

Ha, I wish I had an opportunity to hate on a guy that gave my team three straight Rose Bowl appearances.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 12:39 pm

@BCPITT, allthough, I could understand why people would think he’s a Wisconsin guy, he looks the part perfectly.

I see him, I think, Wisconsin, of course!! LOL

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 12:45 pm

@MariettaMike- need more proof? Sal Sunseri…one year at Tennessee and his defense is one of the worst and Dooley gets fired.

Comment by J Bizz 12.05.12 @ 12:45 pm

@Dan…I see your point for sure. Kind of like when I see Dana Holgorsens picture associated with some drunken misbehavings I automatically think of West Virginia…fun fact: also an Iowa guy.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 12:50 pm

@ J Bizz — I guess we can also include Johnny Majors too. He abruptly left Pitt after winning a national championship in 1976. Ouch!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 1:01 pm

Well, the Chernobyl area of the Ukraine is continually trying to make a comeback too!

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 1:17 pm

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Arkansas athletic director is Jeff Long? I’m surprised he didn’t go after Chryst directly ;-)

Rev. George….no need to be surprised at the ((cough)) integrity of today’s coaches….just read 2 Tim. 3.

Comment by Jackagain 12.05.12 @ 1:20 pm

Speaking of integrity, if Pitt loses another coach after one year, why not hire Petrino. The guy might be pretty loyal to school giving him another opportunity. HA

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 1:29 pm

wisconsin could be looking at Darrell Bevell
as there next head coach lets hope that is true.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 1:37 pm

or Al Golden. Just read his name might be in the mix.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 1:38 pm

If chryst leaves they will give the job to
joe rudolph and keep the football staff togther
to try to save the recruting class.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 1:50 pm

If Chryst leaves Rudolph is going back to Wisconsin with him IMHO

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 1:52 pm

not if he get to be head coach

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 1:53 pm

On a slightly happier note, Eamonn Brennan said this in ESPN.com’s poll thoughts:

•It should be noted Kentucky wasn’t far off the Top 25. The Wildcats were the poll’s leading also-receiving-votes-getter, followed by Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Oregon, Alabama, Connecticut, Baylor, Colorado and so on. Among those teams, Pittsburgh is the most criminally underrated. If the Panthers had beaten Michigan, as opposed to fallen by four on a neutral floor (hardly cause for shame), this wouldn’t be an issue.

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.05.12 @ 2:01 pm

Just want to make a few comments on the commments above. I don’t think Bielema is a good fit for Arkansas, but then I don’t really care. He went because of the money and there are some big time money Arkansas people like the Waltons, Stevens, etc. who probably sweetened the deal. I think Paul Chryst is a good guy, but home,family, alumni ties, and history make a compelling arguement for his going back. A 6 million dollar buy-out is a LOT of money, and it is probably too much for them to swallow. I fully understand that Chryst may want to go back, but he has a team here that he has worked hard to develop, he has spent a lot of time recruiting, and he has a buy-out that is probably to big to really consider.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 2:02 pm

Butch Jones has a 1.4million buyout if he leaves before Jan. 1, 2013…
I believe it goes to zero after Jan. 1…
so, expect Wisky to wait until after the Rose bowl to name Butch Jones as Wisky coach.

Comment by Joe D 12.05.12 @ 2:09 pm

Petrino’s only loyalty is………..$$$$. So put him out of the conversation altogether. He is obviously a good coach, but he dosn’t have any loyalty to anyone but himself. The alumni in Arkansas are really pissed off that he blew it by being such a jerk.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 2:10 pm

So Chryst stays for another 2-3 years until the buyout money is negligible. Barry coaches, then retires for good, and hires his good friend Paul. That may be fine in helping stabilize both programs and creating no hard feelings, but as a recruit, would you want to go to a school thinking that this scenario could play out. I guess since nobody can predict the future and its all conjecture, it shouldn’t bother a recruit particularly if you are chosing the program, school and city over the personality of a coach. I do hope Chryst stays.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 2:14 pm

Interesting perspective:

link to madtownbadgers.com

Comment by panther94 12.05.12 @ 2:15 pm

I spoke to an athletic department official today, I cannot give a name, but he said that he thinks that PC will stay but Pitt officials are obviously worried. He also said that he would be shocked if PC went back on his word and left after one year, but he was also shocked when TG bolted (despite his record). Basically, Pitt doesn’t know but it has a lot of faith in PC.

Comment by Brian 12.05.12 @ 2:16 pm

Penn State alum are throwing a bowl like send off for PSU fb seniors. I’ll make sure to stay out of Atlantic City Januray 5th to 8th. link to pennlive.com

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 2:19 pm

@TXPANTHER, and don’t anyone think that coaches from other teams wouldn’t use that, and the kids aren’t savvy enough to understand what those coaches are saying.

FWIW: No suprise, but, it starts. Rutgers suing Big East for no exit fees and such!!!

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 2:22 pm

Looks like Mike Gundy used Arkansas and Tennessee opening to possibly get more money or extension out of his alma mater. That is one guy who I never thought would leave.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 2:28 pm

Some interesting points in this article:

link to host.madison.com

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 2:32 pm

@TXPanther, I am concerned like everyone else at losing our coach. But I don’t honestly believe that very many recruits think about scenarios like you suggested. And I doubt many other coaches are out recruiting saying things like, “Yeah, that coach will probably be there for two or three more years then leave.” Every coach is in the same situation. And 18 year olds aren’t thinking three years down the road.

Comment by kanyon40 12.05.12 @ 2:35 pm

this has nothing to do with pitt but tennessee
is haveing a hard time finding a head coach
who whould have thought that would happen.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 2:43 pm

Is PSU party ok under NCAA?
Isn’t Alvarez from Pittsburgh area?
It is our time to wait again.

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 2:46 pm

Pederson screwed up by fighting the Chryst hire. Pederson needs to go because it is now too late to extend the deal and be pro-active. This is now a re-active situation and hence negotiating from a position of weakness.

I have been pounding Pederson to extend Chryst at least two months ago and he didn’t do it. Pederson remains a laughing stock in Big10 country. Chryst is well respected and a man of great integrity. We need stability more than anything. If Nordy had a brain, he would extend PC for 3 more years and not even release it to the press. Just do it already.

Hey Rev George. Been spending a lot of time at OSU in athletic department. Contract has been extended. Any nice places to live with a wife and three anklebiters?

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.05.12 @ 2:52 pm

Comment by nw pa pitt fan 12.05.12 @ 10:36 am

If that’s true then I am shocked that Alvarez didn’t have former Wisky DC Dave Doeren of NIU lined up for the job. Before he signed with NCSU.

There are lots of moving parts going on here.

I’m still trying to piece all of this together to get a handle on it.

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 2:59 pm

Panther Pride and panther94 – Good articles. It sounds like those in the know in Wisconsin don’t think PC is coming back.

Comment by oklahomeboy 12.05.12 @ 3:00 pm

Do you think Chryst has a greater chance to succeed at Pitt or at Whisky? If he thinks the path to a BCS is easier at Pitt, it may become one of several reasons to stay.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 3:09 pm

more sanctions and problems at tenn

Comment by paul shannon 12.05.12 @ 3:09 pm

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 12:35 pm

If that’s the case, then we here on The Blather aren’t that bad or hard on PC after all.

Wisky has only won 3 Big 10 championships in a row and appeared in 3 Rose Bowls.

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 3:10 pm

@frank MD:

Alvarez is from Washington County, PA. Went to Burgettstown Union High School.

link to en.wikipedia.org

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 3:15 pm

Emel – look on some Wiscy boards or on Twitter. The general sentiment is that this year is indiciative of Bielema: 8-5 season, backed into the BCS because of the bowl bans in the B1G. they give all credit for recent success to Chryst, Bostad, Doeren and the like.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 3:16 pm

@dhuffdaddy
Arlington is nice with good school system. Columbus is big city by incorporating surrounding areas. If you can afford it Bexkey is super.
Pederson is wrong on so many levels. Hell even his choice just got canned.
Tennessee is a death trap now: cristobal wouldn’t take that job.

Comment by SFPitt 12.05.12 @ 3:18 pm

FRankcan might be on to something with Darrell Bevell. (current Seattle Seahawk Offensive Coordinator)

Wisconsin’s football program had struggled for many years, but Bevell was named starting quarterback in 1993 and he promptly led the team to a surprising “Cinderella” season. The 1993 Badgers finished the year with a 10–1–1 record, becoming co-champions of the Big Ten and securing the school’s first Rose Bowl invitation since 1963. They ended the season by defeating UCLA Bruins 21–16 in the 1994 Rose Bowl. IT WAS THE SCHOOLS FIRST EVER ROSE BOWL VICTORY.

This is a guy who Alvarez could tutor if need be and everything else makes sense.

Ironic eh that UW QB Russell Wilson is playing under Bevell for the Seattle Seahawks.

This guy looks like the winner to me.

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 3:20 pm

In unrelated news, Pitt takes an unofficial 11th place in ESPN’s (Jason King, Andy Katz, Dana O’Neil, Fran Fraschilla) ranking of the country’s best home court advantages.
link to espn.go.com

Comment by MikePITT 12.05.12 @ 3:21 pm

Remember the City Game is tonight. The Derby between the Dukes and the Panthers. Too bad the game isn’t being played at the Pete.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 3:31 pm

Pitt – Duquesne on ESPN 3 computer at 7 pm.

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 3:39 pm

The trouble with them taking Bevell is that it looks like Seattle may make the playoffs….it could set back recruiting for a month.

Looks like a good choice though…

Comment by Jackagain 12.05.12 @ 3:39 pm

Well it’s starting. Wisc has started interviews. Should know soon if Chryst will be one of them.

link to sbnation.com

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 3:41 pm

After a little digging, Wisconsin seems to have nearly as many coaching connections in the college ranks as the City of Pittsburgh (and surrounding area) has in the NFL.

And of course Alvarez in from the surrounding area.

Wow would have things been different at PITT had we hired him instead of Gottfried back in the 80’s.

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 3:49 pm

The Pitt / Duquesne game is not on TV? You gotta be kidding me? I get ESPN3 on my laptop, but Jebus, what a pain in the arse.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 3:55 pm

SOMEONE MAKE THIS HEAD COACH A CASSEROLE AND LEAVE IT ON HIS STOOP STAT. (brownies may be needed as well)

Comment by Benzene 12.05.12 @ 3:59 pm

Anything but a flaming bag of poo.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 4:03 pm

@dhuffdaddy

I live in the Columbus area as well and suggest Worthington or Lewis Center. OSU right down 315 and good living.

Comment by J Bizz 12.05.12 @ 4:05 pm

ESPN showed Pitt vs Howard. but not The City Game.

schmucks they are !

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 4:12 pm

EDPN blip on my iPhone — Chryst leading candidate to replace Bielema at Wisconsin. Ouch!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 4:20 pm

That’s ESPN

Comment by MariettaMike 12.05.12 @ 4:20 pm

After reading these Wisky blogs they both agree that while they would love to have PC back, they don’t think he’s going to break his contract (word).

Funny I read last night that Bielema complained to the Big 10 offices that Suburban Urban was violating the Big 10’s Gentleman’s agreement not to continue to recruit players who had verbally committed to a school. Apparently the SEC is an “anything goes” league with no Gentleman’s agreements of any sorts, just dog eat dog.
This Suburban Urban is already grating on me, the guy is a real phony and I believe his BS upstaged us during a Bowl Game, the year we won 10 games.

I just look at him and I want to punch him in the face !

So what does Bielema then do, take a job in the “anything goes”…. dog eat dog…..SEC.

lmao

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 4:21 pm

Someone at Pitt probably called Barry Alvarez as soon as they heard. The probably have a clue what he is goingto do.

If I was Paul Chryst, I would walk into the AD’s office and say, let’s talk contract extention with a signing bonus.

Comment by dcpinpgh 12.05.12 @ 4:22 pm

On the good news front. Travel & Leisure has named the “O” as having some of the best french fries in the country!!!

I kid you not!!!!

link to cnn.com

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 4:23 pm

lol Dan-o

Does the “O” do deliveries to North Carolina ?

(was the CNN thing based on one’s level of intoxication ?)

I always did the 3 dip arrangement (first into the cheese then the gravy and then the ketchup, or some such order)

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 4:32 pm

Love the O fries! Get that whole fryer basket size at 2AM with a bunch of buddies..good times

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 4:34 pm

Steve Adams needs to hit some of those dirty ‘O’ fries. They should be required good eats for any Pitt big man.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 4:35 pm

right BCPITT

And a Giant Can of Carlsberg Elephant Malt Liquor

provided you were there before 2am.

And a “O” Hoagie, Cheese Steak or Kielbasa. Yum

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 4:40 pm

Ha ha Emel and guys!! Ya, I use to line up the cheese, gravy and ketchup, like it was three different meals!!

“oooh, a little ketchup, now lets try some in the gravy, ahhh, now the cheese…….ok, now back to the ketchup………”

Comment by Dan 12.05.12 @ 4:44 pm

There’s only three (3) restaurants I have to go to when I come up to Da Burg.

(1) The Primadonna in Stowe
(2) Rico’s in North Hills
(3) The Big “O” (lol)

p.s. also have to get a pizza from Mineo’s or Aiellos in SQ. Hill

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 4:54 pm

For all the ABTs out there link to cbssports.com

Comment by giveitarest 12.05.12 @ 4:58 pm

shame on chryst if he leaves..If he loves wisconson that much, and he still has all this family there, he never should of left in the first place. he could of waited for his time. we need a coach who’s heart is in pittsburgh.

Comment by goalie44 12.05.12 @ 5:00 pm

@giveitarest – no worries. I hear the NY Jets already have him slated as their first round pick. After all, Matt Cavanaugh is their QB coach.

Comment by Pitt Dad 12.05.12 @ 5:08 pm

They forgot to mention that field goal that he never did get credit for in the Cinci game! Tino was definitely improved this year and I think debunked a lot of the ABT’ers out there, but I would be absolutely floored if someone actually drafted him.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 5:13 pm

lmao

This from that Cbssports link.

“Sunseri has showed improved confidence as a senior to take high-percentage chances downfield, but also take care of the ball, moving around in the pocket to extend plays with his legs.”

Moving around the pocket to extend plays with his legs. Just exactly what games were this guy watching. And we won’t even talk about all the fumbles at inopportune times and missed snap counts and exchanges. lmao

I told you all, these draft analysts can write anything they care to, as 95% of ppl don’t watch PITT games on a weekly basis. They are almost like stock analysts, they can write anything they care to if they like(or told to) whatever they’re analysing.

And Sir Tino will not only be in some NFL teams’ camp come August, according to this article he’s on the ‘Riser” list and probably will get drafted, just like his old man. You can bank on that !

Comment by Emel 12.05.12 @ 5:25 pm

EMEL, you can strike #1 off your list, it closed about 2 months back. Stowe is going down hill fast.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.05.12 @ 5:28 pm

I think its 50/50 Chryst stays. I’m sure the Pitt athletic department will be contacted tomorrow asking for permission to speak to Chryst if they haven’t done it already. The figure of 24 million given to Wisky yearly for its TV deal is insane. I think Wisky can pay for Chryst if they really want him.

link to buckys5thquarter.com

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 5:43 pm

chryst will stay to coach t mans last game,keep bringing up crap and the curse will continue, its on u ,saints or cards

Comment by paul shannon 12.05.12 @ 5:54 pm

Raise your hand if you’ve been checking online every hour or so to see if Paul Chryst has bolted yet and/or if Wisconsin has hired another coach.

Comment by Jimbo Covert's My Dad 12.05.12 @ 6:14 pm

My hand is up.

Comment by frankarms 12.05.12 @ 6:15 pm

*raises hand*

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 6:16 pm

My hand is raised.

Comment by SFPitt 12.05.12 @ 6:26 pm

Raised

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 6:27 pm

Raised.

Comment by Gas 12.05.12 @ 6:41 pm

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez will hold press conference at 10am Thursday. Live on BTN, BTN2Go and http://UWBadgers.com

Comment by steve1 12.05.12 @ 6:43 pm

I dont like this was just on SB nation they say the AD of wisconsin first pick for new coach would be chryst.

If chryst should leave i want a ex pitt player
to be the new coach matt cavanaugh or tinos
dad as long as he loves pitt and wont leave after
one year we just need some one we can depend on.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 6:46 pm

Hand raised from MD

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 6:49 pm

My middle finger will be raised if Chryst leaves. Not directed at you or Chryst but Stevie P.

Comment by TX Panther 12.05.12 @ 6:53 pm

I raise my hand as well.

Frankcan, I think it certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea to have someone with either Pitt ties or who is from the area. I wouldn’t exclude western PA or the Pittsburgh area. At least with someone with ties to the univesity or to the city we have a better probability that they might stay.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 6:59 pm

Jackagain: Thank you for the biblical reference. II Tim 3 is appropriate for today’s times–and a multitude of other eras. Man, I believe is meant to be “good”, but should have regulations. Hence, the Commandments AND the NCAA. It is helpful to be reminded now and again. These are not “the last times”, but difficult enough,eh? Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 12.05.12 @ 7:03 pm

Chryst met with the players today:

link to triblive.com

I also heard a radio report on The Fan that he told the players he was not going to leave Pitt. However, that could have been a player hearing what he wanted to hear.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.05.12 @ 7:10 pm

hand raised.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 7:14 pm

So he had a meeting saying that he hasn’t been contacted but didn’t at all address his feelings on the issue if he is to be contacted in the coming days?? A whole lot of “not making me feel any better” from Chryst’s statements thus far.

I just hope that the buyout is too rich for Wiscy and they go in a different direction, potentially turning back to Chryst after a few years when Pitt has had some time to rebuild a little bit

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 7:16 pm

BCPITT IS RIGHT THE STATEMENT TO THE PLAYERS I HAVE NOT BEEN CONTACTED BYE WISCONSIN .
THAT DOESENT MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.
JUST SAY YOU ARE NOT LEAVEING HE DID NOT DO THAT.
SO WHAT DID THAT STATEMENT MEAN WHENI AM CONTACTED
I AM GOING.
THAT WAS A USELESS STATEMENT.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 7:24 pm

IF you look at all of coach chryst statements
so far they have been worded so that when he leaves he can say i did not lie to you.
he has never come out and said i am staying and he wont untill he finds out wisconsin does not want him.

becuse if they want him he is out of here i can tell from the statements he will leave if they make a offer to him mark my words.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 7:31 pm

What that statement means is that if Wiscy is willing to pony up the buy out cash to free him up, he is going. In everything I have read he is not affirming commitment either way. He is walking the line so that is Wiscy doesn’t pony up he cash he can say he was committed the entire time, but if they do fork over the buyout he can say “Well, I never said I WOULDN’T go if contacted”

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 7:32 pm

Hand Raised (every 1/2 hr.)

Comment by CompLit 12.05.12 @ 7:34 pm

Wow I just read my own comment and realized how jaded I have become by all of the recent coaching turmoil…I want to make it clear I don’t blame Chryst and won’t fault him if he does decide to leave in the end, I just really hope Wisconsin makes a decision soon before I get fired for surfing the web and posting on the blather all day at work

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 7:35 pm

Hand raised

Comment by panther94 12.05.12 @ 7:39 pm

Based on reviewing some of the Badger blogs, the $2.5M/year Bielema was making was composed of $500k through the University and $2M from booster funds.

Comment by Kevin in ABQ 12.05.12 @ 7:41 pm

HAND RAISED

Comment by Moe Greene 12.05.12 @ 7:44 pm

at pitt chryst makes 1,750,000 .
but i dont think it is the money that would make
him leave it would be the chance to coach at wisconsin to go home.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 7:52 pm

Maybe advance planning for Pitt AD to think about any existing assistant in case bad thing happens.

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 7:56 pm

agreed Frank…I think he would take close to even money and make the move for personal reasons. That’s the scary part. If Wiscy can save a 500-700K per year plus they get 1MM from Bielema for his buyout, Chryst’s 6MM doesn’t look so big anymore.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 7:57 pm

Can I put my hand down now?

Comment by Moe Greene 12.05.12 @ 7:57 pm

Agreed, it’s the opportunity to go home where your family is, where all your life long friends live, where you still have a house, where you played, and where you coached for the last 6 years. If he gets the offer, I think he’s gone.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 7:58 pm

Advanced planning? From Poison Pill Pederson? He’s probably trying to figure out where he left Crystobal’s number.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.05.12 @ 7:59 pm

Hand raised. Checking at least hourly.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 8:06 pm

Both hands raised. Checking every 30 mins…wait, hold on, okay, sorry just checked again. lol

Comment by NYPanther 12.05.12 @ 8:09 pm

hand raised! I hope PC stays

Comment by PITTPUP84 12.05.12 @ 8:11 pm

I was thinking he was staying but the latest meeting with the players he used weasel words. Now I’m thinking he is leaving if offered.
BTW, Wisconsin has the money to go after better options-coaches with more history of success.
This would really hurt Pitt’s stability.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 8:11 pm

This is nothing like what “The Fraud” did last year. Can’t blame Chryst for going back home, I sure wish he would stay though. What Pitt names are out there that would take the job, and stick around.

Comment by Moe Greene 12.05.12 @ 8:16 pm

Hand raised…How hard is to say “I am not going anywhere”! I read earlier today that PC left one of his kids behind in Wisconsin for her senior year of HS. I’m sure she is with family, so I don’t mean to say he abandoned her. Frankly, there is only one uniform I could make that sacrifice for and it is not a football uniform. PC has to be really tempted by this offer. Hope he stays, but if he goes we need to REALLY put some thought into the next hire. One other thing, this is not a defense of DW as a coach, or a call for his return, but the next time we have a coach that really WANTS to be the HC of the University of Pittsburgh FB team, the administration needs to see that as something valuable when considering that coaches future with the university.

Comment by HbgFrank 12.05.12 @ 8:17 pm

count me in. i just leave the page up and refresh every half hour or so. i can’t believe this shit is happening again. oh, wait, yes i can.

Comment by usd121 12.05.12 @ 8:17 pm

Alvarez is coaching the Rose Bowl.

“Earlier in the day, Alvarez told the Wall Street Journal that he had not ruled out coaching the team and that he would announce his decision on Thursday. Wisconsin has scheduled a news conference for Thursday morning.”

Maybe we will get lucky and he will announce his intentions to return to coaching

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 8:27 pm

HbgFrank, So Paul Chryst and his family, minus the daughter who is a high school senior are all in Pittsburgh? I had assumed since one was still in high school that he still had a house there.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 8:37 pm

I don’t blame chryst for going home. What I read his middle child is living with his mother. Chryst owns a home there. If he goes, no hard feelings. But I got to put blame on pederson and rest of admin. They had to know the situation back home. Bret may have put the nail in pederson coffin.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 8:41 pm

The next pitt coachshould come from this list
first pick Alex Van Pelt
2 matt cavanaugh
3 tinos dad
4 tom clements
5 tom bradley

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 8:45 pm

Stache for AD??

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 8:47 pm

Frankcan, is Van Pelt in coaching? name escapes me right now but wasnt a former Pitt defensive back getting some attention yesterday – I mean the last time we went thru this drill?

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.05.12 @ 8:48 pm

I am so glad that the BOT overruled Steve’s pick of Christobal and hired Chryst. (That is what was said on this board.) Maybe we should hire a high school coach from SW PA so he’ll have his dream job and never leave. Oh wait, we did that for an assistant coach. Pathetic.

If you are over 45 and an assistant you are either blindly loyal to your team or lazy. Either way I don’t want you coaching my team.

I am going to say this again. You need to hire a young up-and-comer with something to prove. Who cares where he is from, what nationality his wife is and if he has friends in Millvale. The man should be a head coach already and have a winning record. We should quit worrying about the past or worse yet, living in the past and look to the future. Hire the best man out there, not the one that might be the best fit for our team, the city, Primante’s etc. Pay him $2MM a year and throw in $500M kickers for BCS bowls and top 10 finishes.

If Chryst is offered the job at Wisc. and stays at Pitt he is a complete buffoon.

P.S. One of the reasons for not hiring Christobal on this forum was because his wife wouldn’t be able to get Cuban food in Pittsburgh. Really? Yeah, that’s how we should hire all coaches.

Comment by Yeti 12.05.12 @ 8:52 pm

Frankcan, since you are throwing out names, how about Tressel and hire Walt as OC? I heard both are looking for employment.

I do hope Chryst stays. To many friends are calling and texting me asking what the hell is wrong with Pitt football!! Might be a third Christmas in a row i’m asking for a new Pitt coach HA

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 8:55 pm

Which Pitt assistant coach is OC and which is DC. Defense progressed greatly?

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 9:00 pm

Thanks all for the columbus references. Will be some interesting weeks ahead. This place reminds me of state penn.

As previously mentioned, Steve Pederson is a joke around here and is seen as a detriment to the Pitt program. If we lose Paul Chryst, that will be an important reason why. AD’s are all about fostering personal relationships. Pederson has no relationships built with former star players or coaches. As such, there is no continuity or stability surrounding the program. Why didn’t he extend PC during the season? Because he doesn’t get it. Man, he infuriates me.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.05.12 @ 9:01 pm

Why me, I like most of us, would Paul Chryst to stay. Your comment about the Tressel-Harris combo would certainly be ok by me, I suspect it would be tough to get Nordy, to sign off on it.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 9:01 pm

Tressel?? just what we need, someone with a show cause…*insert sarcastic comment here*

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 9:01 pm

Tra Chapman thinks Chryst is staying according to his post on Twitter and he has cool profile pic “back to the Script”.
see
@TraChap_7 on Twitter.com

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 9:09 pm

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 9:13 pm

MARCUS yes he is with the green bay packers
but he has been a QB coach for years in the pros
and is coaching RB this year and was a great QB
at pitt.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 9:14 pm

Not only do SOME of the Bloggers seem to be paranoid about the remote possibility that Coach Chryst wouls break his word and leave Pitt fir “Valhalla”, but Mr. Alvarez would be a candidate for the CAD OF THE YEAR. Why? Because he is the one who recommended Paul Chryst to the Panthers. But, folks, it isn’t going to happen, Paul Chryst means what he says and HE US COMMITTED TO PITT. Mr. Akvarez is concerned about his reutation and would NOT endorse a candidate to his home town triens in western Pa. only to be accused of being deceitful. Relax, Pitt Bloggers and enjoy the Chryst era which is just commencing!!! As for duffdaddy—Yes, there are lots of lovely homes in the Columbus environs, BUT,THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!! Columbus is a very affluent area in the suburbs, that is. Good luck!!Rev. George in Gahanna–one of those suburbs

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 12.05.12 @ 9:17 pm

“Thats right, Tressel hiring needs to be approved by NCAA. The “show cause” is 5 years.”

But don’t you think the NCAA would approve him to Pitt since we are a “hardship case”.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 9:21 pm

WHY ME walt would be ok but not tressel.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 9:27 pm

What about Jackie Sherrill?

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 9:29 pm

They could hire Tressel I am sure but then Pitt would have to deal with possible sanctions, and a half absent coach who would be banned for several weeks and any potential bowl game for at least the first year, that’s best case scenario with him…Not exactly the stable environment Pitt would need if Chryst were to leave.

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 9:33 pm

I think Jackie Sherrill is WORN OUT! His last gig at Misissippi State didn’t go all the well. Walt is a great offensive mind. He’s tough on his quarterbacks but he’s good X & 0s guy. I would have no problem with Walt as an offensive coordinator. I go back and forth, because one moment I think Chryst is going to go and the next, I think we have a chance he’ll stay.

Comment by Justinian 12.05.12 @ 9:42 pm

If the very bad happens then hire either OC or DC as head coach. Maybe even try to keep the other one. Continuity.

Comment by frank MD 12.05.12 @ 9:45 pm

the buyout clause in Paul Chrysts contract could very well save our football program from complete disaster. If it is supposedly $6 million I don’t see Wisconsin paying that for a guy that really has not proven anything yet at this coaching level and lets face it the Big east is basically a slightly better MAC conference.

Comment by Coach Ditka 12.05.12 @ 9:49 pm

Well it worked for Rutgers to promote a coordinator for continuity.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.05.12 @ 9:53 pm

My first reaction when I read this earlier today was for Pitt to grovel, beg and throw money at P.C. For me it was to try yoga style deep breathing, imaging and cognitive reframing (“Its not the most important thing in the world, its only a game”), an hour in the gym on the eliptical machine at a very high resistance level and following that with an indeterminate number of 60 minute IPAs. However I was scheduled to work this afternoon (yes I am an old retired guy but still work very part time) and didn’t get to do any of those things. I didn’t even consciously think about the coaching stuff till driving home. When I did I had somehow gained some perspective. It is doubtful that P.C. is going anywhere. He appears to be the kind of guy who doesn’t like to leave a job that he has only started particularly when he is appreciated. Likewise he gave his word when he came here. Alvarez put some of his reputation on the line when he recommended Chryst and he would lose credibility if he snatched him after one year. Likewise, leaving after one year would impair Chryst’s credibility. While Alvarez is likely to talk to Chryst out of respect and the desire to keep him interested in Wisconsin for the future, it is unlikely that he will make a hard run at him this time. Moreover Pitt is likely to talk with Chryst and to improve his contract a bit as well as hand him some extra cash. This is normal procedure for many large organizations when they hire someone for a high level executive position and the person has a successful start. At the same time neither Pitt or Wisconsin is likely to go overboard on PC this time since his record this year is the same as his immediate predecessor. Moreover, we don’t yet have a firm look at the quality of his recruiting and his tenure has not been long enough to really determine if he will be a successful head coach over time even though the early indications are encouraging. What will bear watching will be if Alvarez not only coaches the bowl game but next season as well and then is looking for a new h. c.

Comment by opfim 12.05.12 @ 9:56 pm

Twitter has more and more recruits saying they talked to Chryst and he told them he is staying…That bodes well for Pitt

Comment by BCPITT 12.05.12 @ 9:56 pm

Why would he tell the recruits that but not the team?

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.05.12 @ 9:59 pm

Do we really want PC to stay if he doesn’t want to be here?

Comment by Pittfan6 12.05.12 @ 10:03 pm

Why is Pederson an idiot for not extending Chryst halfway through the season? Everyone was stunned that the Wisconsin job came open. It isn’t like we thought Bielema was going to get fired. And Chryst wasn’t exactly impressive in his first year here. Halfway through his first season he had lost to a 1AA team and we weren’t sure we’d make a bowl.

I don’t want Chryst to leave and I think that he will turn out to be a good coach. But he did NOTHING in his first season to warrant an extension halfway through it. This is “hind-sight is 20/20″ complaining. If SP had extended Chryst halfway through the season, half of our fans would have said he should be fired for extending a coach who was showing himself to be a poor game day coach.

Comment by kanyon40 12.05.12 @ 10:04 pm

ESPN says Butch Jones is off the board, Colorado a done deal.

Comment by Iron Duke 12.05.12 @ 10:05 pm

Looking at PC’s situation and trying to solve it is treating the symptom but not the ailment.
Personally, goinf home ain’t all it’s cracked up to be; at least that is my experience, but if being near some people even though he might not see them often is that important, then who am I to bitch about it. But I would offer this commentary. When taking big money for a job, understand that your public commentary had damn well better match your actions.
As for Pitt, we have an unsresolved problem that won’t go away of PC stays and that is we have an absolute bufoon for an Athletic Director and a seemingly brilliant Chancellor who has this comatose response in keeping him.
The day this Wisky story broke, the breaking news before it in Pgh was how Pitt had given raises to several key executives.
I assume they were delivered on merit.
So how does someone who runs the most public aspect of a great university get by with putrid performance.
His office is responsible for more lost revenue, more bad publicity and more public ridicule than any position I can think of anywhere.
Board of Directors at least fire people once in a while. The guy at Highmark who was bopping the young sweetie didn’t get canned when he was boppong her; her got canned when he disgraced the organization.
But Pederson puts Pitt in a position where it is always vulnerable. And then when bad things happen, as they invariably do when one is always vulnerable, no one is held accountable.
Here is a message to the Pitt Adminsitration. I stopped giving to the athletic department and give to club sports instead because I don’t believe in you.
Your record suggests idiocy. Calling the athletic department incompetent is an insult to incompetent people.
You make the rest of look bad and then you act as if WE betrayed you!! “Pitt fans don’t support their football team”: “our fans don’t like to travel to Bowl games”.
We are one of 3 teams over the last three decades that has lost at least 3 games per year.
Our last “major” bowl was sort of a fluke and you fired the coach before hand so we went in against Urban Meyer and got crushed. I know, I was there.
You fire Wannstadt a year after extending his contract; you botch the firing resulting in a PR disaster.
You don’t have the next hire ready so you go for a guy from the MAC…..Ok, fine, but you didn’t do your due dilgence. He had a child with woman with whom he was fighting and he ended up ruining his career and your eroding credability when he punched her. Then you hire Graham. Do I need to explain how that was a loser from the get go?
Then, Pederson finally (There is a God) has his wings clipped, otherwise we would have had not so super Mario.
Then you hire PC when everyone on the planet knows your AD wants someone else.
PC is a good hire,probably the best you could hope for at that time.
But guess what? Your idiocy ovr the previous years caught up with you. You leave for the ACC but have a watered down schedule. You had lost 2.5 years of recruits. No one goes to your games, but you LIE ABOUT ATTENDANCE. Guess what dudes, when you kie about the size of your Johnson, you get giggled at. And Pitt gets giggled at alot. No one takes us seriously, nor should they.
Here is a clue for you folks at Pitt…you might want to write this down….THE STRONG PREY ON THE WEAK…
Want to know why this happens to Pitt all the time? Look in the mirror AD. That is if you can stand to see your reflection. You have made Pitt weak, constantly in fear. I truly despise you.

Comment by sfpitt 12.05.12 @ 10:10 pm

Looks like Barry might have an interview with Boise State coach Chris Peterson. Now Peterson could be using it as leverage or maybe the fear of coaching in the Big East finally has him looking elsewhere.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 10:12 pm

I have been checking the all the sites and came
upon this on a tennessee site
The debacle that was Sal Sunseri. i guess that
says it all.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 10:12 pm

Why not have Alvarez run the team for a few years, then poach PC when he is coming off a 11-1 season and BCS win in the Orange Bowl for Pitt?

Come on….I’m trying here….

Seriously, I can’t even imagine what these players must be thinking…. God bless ‘em.

Comment by Pauly P 12.05.12 @ 10:14 pm

Hand raised…hoping PC stays – not even thinking who the next coach will be because PC will be here awhile.

Comment by markp 12.05.12 @ 10:18 pm

Like I wrote earlier, I would love to be in a position to complain about a coach that leaves after 3 straight BCS appearances. That would be such a fun three years compared to the last 30. Wisky fans are killing Bret on their message boards.

Comment by why me 12.05.12 @ 10:19 pm

you leave my johnson out of this

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.05.12 @ 10:52 pm

Hand raised…every two hours here

Comment by Marco 12.05.12 @ 11:01 pm

Pitt tells recruit Chapman he is “here to stay”

link to triblive.com

Sorry if this was posted / discussed above

Comment by Dan35 12.05.12 @ 11:16 pm

Pitt coach Paul Chryst reached out to his prize recruit Wednesday, and quarterback Tra’von Chapman wasn’t shy about getting right to the point.
“I asked him if he would be my coach, and he said he would,” said Chapman, a senior at Theodore Roosevelt High School in Kent, Ohio. “He said he would shoot me straight. He decided he’s here (at Pitt) to stay.”

Read more: link to triblive.com
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Comment by Dan35 12.05.12 @ 11:19 pm

Those words seem more definitive.

Comment by panther94 12.05.12 @ 11:32 pm

Chapman sounds like a leader to me. Add to that more than 2500 yards passing in two years as a starting high school quarterback. If I was Chryst, I’d stay too.

Comment by PittofDreams 12.05.12 @ 11:36 pm

That was more than 2500 yards in EACH of his two years as a starting high school quarterback.

Comment by PittofDreams 12.05.12 @ 11:41 pm

If the original Big East schools would have all ramped up $$$ like Louisville did for Strong, the Big East would never have fallen apart because it still would have been a decent conference. Strong, Kelly, Schiano, Holgorsen, Schiano, Chryst, Edsall, and Marrone are a nice list of head coaches. Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, USF, and WVU would all have opportunities to be ranked right now, with PItt, Cuse, and Uconn on the rise.

Comment by Timmeh 12.05.12 @ 11:47 pm

@Franckan
Thanks for the gut busting laugh!! I sure as hell needed it!

Comment by SFPitt 12.05.12 @ 11:47 pm

Nice to see that Chapman would be at PITT in less than one month. Would be surprised if Chryst flat out lies to the kids. Fraud Graham he is not.

My guess is that he will stay and for that I will give him considerable credit. There are not a lot of coaches out there today with CHARACTER.

Also, have to give credit to PITT and Nordy for the 6 million buyout. Not a deterrent (see Maryland leap to Big Whatever)but at least it would get us our money back plus sum. My guess is that if he stays it wasn’t necessarily the money that kept him but his word. Class act if he stays true to his word.

HTP

Comment by PITT FAN in ATLANTA 12.05.12 @ 11:49 pm

Anyone think that Chapman could be stretching the story a bit to put pressure on Chryst? I’m not accusing the kid of lying, but think about it. I’m sure Chryst has been talking to the recruits, but why would he tell a recruit something more definitive than what he has said in his official statement and what he has told the team?

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 7:28 am

Hey sfpitt if you are going to just constantly crush Pederson you should at least get your facts straight such as the fact that Walt Harris left Pitt after Pederson was already gone. And the weak schedule is the fault of the Big East not Pederson. Pitt usually has one of the tougher nonconference schedules in football. Finally, announcing paid attendence isn’t lying and isn’t unique to Pitt.

SO wait Pederson was supposed to extend Chryst? That is complete and total nonsense. When should have he been extended after losing to Cuse? Or how about after the 2nd half collapse against the Ville? Or maybe during the no-show against UConn? If Pederson had extended Chryst, then he should have been fired on the spot.

Comment by Wardapalooza 12.06.12 @ 8:12 am

Hand up== (I prefer Mason up!) Wardapalooza your right. We really don’t know what we have in PC yet? However; we need a warm body to keep the house of cards together. A contract extention should not happen BUT may be necessary. L’ville is working on a new deal for their coach. If an extention keeps PC I say extend the deal 2yrs. PITT can not afford to lose a coach & recruits!! HTP!

Comment by DC33 12.06.12 @ 9:18 am

How many years is Chryst’s contract now? Just curious

Comment by BCPITT 12.06.12 @ 9:26 am

confirmed no way coach chrsyt leaves, absolutely done,

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 9:40 am

If today is Thursday, I think Alvarez indicated he was going to annouce something today. I hope it’s more than he’s going to coach the RB.

Comment by CompLit 12.06.12 @ 9:41 am

I believe Chryst contract is for 5yrs.

We might now have the reason for Bret leaving Wisky. Pay for assistants. Sounds like Bret was very unhappy Wisky couldn’t pay up to keep some of their assistants the past few years. This could be very good for Pitt. Sounds like Wisky need a complete overhaul of pay for their FB staff. Having a huge buyout for Chryst could help us keep him.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 9:43 am

Whether other people do it or not, announcing attendance of 36,000 when there is lucky to be 15,000 at the place is really embarrassing.

In our section, we all take bets on what the announcer is going to say and have a big laugh about it.

It’s a running joke with fans in the stands.

Just quit announcing it!!!

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 10:20 am

@Wardapalooza
Perhaps being lied to appeals to your senses as long as others do it, but I don’t subscribe to that point of view. Liars are low on my totem pole.
You are correct, Harris was fired under Long’s regime, but I didn’t claim it was Pederson…it was the athletic department to which I ascribed the behavior. I can see where it was confusing, so I will proclaim to the world that Pederson did not fire Harris. I apologize if I confused the reader.
I was trying to point out the series of disasters given to the paying customer by the Pitt Athletic Department. Pederson was busy somewhere else at the time trying to ruin Nebraska’s football program.
Which he came damn close to doing because while Pitt was firing Harris, Pederson was busy firing Frank Solich and then taking more than a month and going 4 candidates into the process before Pederson hired Callahan….that coaching legend.
If you don’t think the athletic department has been one giant screw up under Pederson and if you believe that his record, wherever established, exemplifies quality performance, then please don’t ask why or complain about anything that goes wrong with Pitt.
Shit in, shit out.

Comment by sfpitt 12.06.12 @ 10:23 am

Chryst has a daughter who’s a freshman at Pitt this year and a younger daughter who’s a Pitt Women’s Soccer commit. I get the feeling he’s staying.

Comment by PatMac 12.06.12 @ 10:38 am

Alvarez has a Press Conference scheduled for 11AM (Eastern Time). Stay tuned Pitt faithful. I assume he’s just going to announce that he’s going to coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl, but I’m sure he’ll have something to say about the search for a replacement.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 10:45 am

Not jumping in on a discussion, but, as per Pederson.

I saw something a couple weeks ago, and wanted to reply, but got busy, and never did.

Pederson and Nordy don’t get any credit for “leading” us into the ACC.

The ACC asked us. My 5 year old neice would have said, “yes, absolutely” to that.

Can’t remember the poster, but if you’re out there, there is my reply!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 10:48 am

we all saw this morning exactly the type of person charlie strong is. i hope we can all say the same for chryst.

Comment by usd121 12.06.12 @ 10:53 am

@Wardapoolaza
Pederson should have been fired on the spot if he extended Chryst! Please. Chryst certainly had some low points but what did you expect from a first year coach taking over a program that was in shambles. You must be deaf to all the pleas coming from the Wisconsin faithful to bring him back and all the pleas coming from the Pitt community to keep him.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 10:54 am

Comment by panther94 12.06.12 @ 11:01 am

Chryst had his up and downs but what he did for Tino is amazing. Think about the article posted above, Tino has a shot to be drafted, not camp invite, freakin drafted.

I think once Chryst works out some of the game management issues, we could be pretty happy two years from now. I hope he stays to finish the job.

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 11:03 am

Chryst must think what he will have next year with the DEF returning and incoming recruits (maybe Foster and Boyd) if he stays. Great chance to be very good.

I do not know what WI has returning.

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 11:03 am

Alvarez just announced that he’s only coaching the Badgers in the Rose Bowl. It’s a one time deal.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 11:10 am

Alvarez says he’s reached out to some coaching candidates and will start interviewing next week. “I’m not in a big rush.”

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 11:13 am

I think Wisky has a very strong team returning next year. New coach should be in good shape with returning starters.

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 11:18 am

Frank MD, I don’t know what precisely Wisconsin has coming back either, but from comments Bielma had made he indicated that the 2013 team may be the most talented returning group. So if that’s true, they will at least as strong as ever. I think this whole thing comes down to Paul Chryst. The comment I read above, that Chryst has a daughter already at Pitt and another who has committed to play soccer next year, it sounds encouraging that he may stay.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 11:20 am

You can read more about Alvarez’s press conference here:

link to jsonline.com

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 11:23 am

from alvarez

“Alvarez was asked about Paul Chryst, in his first season at Pittsburgh.

Alvarez said he would not feel right hiring Chryst.

“Paul is going to stay at Pitt,” he said.”

Comment by usd121 12.06.12 @ 11:29 am

Can’t stand the college football and basketball coaching situations, the coming and going crapola!! I’m sure no one can.

I hope Coach Chyrst stays.

If he goes, I won’t like it, but, I guess I’ll understand it.

What I won’t like, and the one thing that would tick me off with Coach Chryst, is if this thing goes on for weeks or even after the Rose Bowl into January……….

then he announces he has taken the job.

That would piss me off and he would fall into the category of just another college coach.

Hopefully, this is a moot point.

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 11:30 am

Oh, ok usd121, sounds good!

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 11:31 am

Great news if true. Alvarez only coaching the bowl game, not gonna do a one year and have PC in waiting.

Says hiring PC would not feel right, he’ll be staying at Pitt.

At least the most definitive thing I’ve read.

Good stuff.

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 11:34 am

Adding to the above, Alvarez pretty much put to rest any discussion about Chryst. Per numerous quotes from media on Twitter, he said…

“I asked some very close friends of mine to help Paul Chryst get his job. I think he should be committed to Pitt. I don’t think it would be right for me to hire him after asking a favor to help him get a job at Pitt.”

Works for me.

Comment by Stoosh 12.06.12 @ 11:35 am

as confirmed in ala. with our ad [im afraid to mention his name wardapalooza for fear of internet lashes]3-4 years at least of NEAT

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 11:35 am

Sounds like Chyrst is staying. I wonder if the Wisky recruits will be off limit?

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 11:37 am

For what it’s worth, Alvarez went on to clarify that they won’t be using search committees to help with the Wisconsin hire. The decision will be his.

In other words, if the guy doing the hiring for the Wisconsin job comes out and says he’s not going after Chryst, it’s pretty safe to assume Chryst is going to be here next year.

Comment by Stoosh 12.06.12 @ 11:38 am

I’m confused… I thought there was NO integrity left in college football ! :)

Comment by CompLit 12.06.12 @ 11:40 am

Good news on Chryst staying. Program couldn’t handle more turnover.

@Sfpitt, I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong that Pederson is bad. More just stick to actual facts, and there are plenty, why he should be fired.

@Floyd Chryst is under a 5 year contract. You don’t extend a coach until you know he is going to be good that’s my point. And the program wasn’t in shambles. Lot’s of close losses last year and this year had more than enough talent to compete with number 1 ND. That’s not a program in shambles.

Comment by Wardapalooza 12.06.12 @ 11:40 am

@Wardpalooza
Good points. May have overstated saying program was in shambles but you have to at least admit it wasn’t in good shape given what had happened in the year prior to Chryst being hired. Also, Chryst deserves some credit for Pitt being able to compete with ND in the first place.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 11:45 am

Possible busy day for Big East coaches staying put. Butch Jones declined Colo job.

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 11:46 am

Alvarez when asked about the possibility of Paul Chryst returning replied, “Not at this time.”

He then went on to say, “Paul Chryst will be remaining at Pitt.”

So that’s good news. He didn’t close the door on hiring him a few years down the road, but for now it appears that the Pitt will won’t be looking for new coach. A change at this point would be terrible for the Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 11:48 am

Alvarez for President

Comment by steve1 12.06.12 @ 11:49 am

Any chance we could get Alvarez for AD at Pitt? I wish.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.06.12 @ 11:55 am

Great Christmas present to Pitt from Chryst and Alvarez.

Now to get Foster, Boyd, and all.

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 12:19 pm

Very Happy Pitt fan!!
Let’s go Pitt

Comment by Bruce F 12.06.12 @ 12:20 pm

Alvarez as Athletic Director would terrific, but he built the Wisconsin program. He revitalized the program as head football coach and hand picked his successor. He will be a Wisconsin guy until he retires. There is a lot to like about Barry Alvarez. He remains fond of western PA and even though they had an outstanding offensive coordinator, he went out of his way to help him get the Pitt job. Not many people would do what Alvarez did.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 12:20 pm

Now I can go back to work.

HAIL TO PITT!

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 12:23 pm

Great news! Our football coach will not be pursued by Wisconsin. Now, lets hope an AD from another school does not steal him. HTP

HTP

Comment by MariettaMike 12.06.12 @ 12:29 pm

Agree with Justinian that I can now get back to work! Alvarez confirms what a true Western PA person is all about!

Comment by Bruce F 12.06.12 @ 12:30 pm

Maybe if Chryst does great things and gets to know Pittsburgh really well (like we do) he may like to stay long time. Pitt must pay money to keep good coaches including OCs and DCs and etc.

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 12:32 pm

Barry Alvarez at today’s presser …

“I wouldn’t think it would be right for him to leave after one year. I wouldn’t feel right, and I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to hire him back after I asked someone to do me a favor and help him get that job,” Alvarez said. “So Paul’s going to stay at Pitt.”

“I asked some very good friends of mine to help Paul get that job,” Alvarez said. “I think Paul has already come out and said that he’s committed to Pitt. I think he should be committed to Pitt.”

Comment by Hoopzebra 12.06.12 @ 12:39 pm

Pitt Nation breathes a collective sigh of relief.

HTP

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 12:39 pm

Hand down, putting ice back in the gin to sip, not slurp !

Comment by CompLit 12.06.12 @ 12:42 pm

And let’s hope Barry picks a great coach that leads Wisky to many victories and many Rose Bowls and wants to stay at Wisky for a long time!!!

Comment by Dan 12.06.12 @ 12:45 pm

Now everyone should thank Chryst as well.

Comment by Pitt it IS 12.06.12 @ 12:49 pm

My father was a big Alvarez fan way back and lamented Pitt opting for Hackett over Alvarez when Gottfried was canned (the real start of Pitt’s football downward slide IMO). Hackett did teach the single greatest ball fake ever to Alex Van Pelt — who could have though he wouldn’t be a great HC? Alvarez = mensch

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 12.06.12 @ 12:52 pm

Mike Vukovcan, sports producer at KDKA-TV tweeted:

Comes down to is this: Barry Alvarez/Paul Chryst = class Todd Graham = ass

:-D

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 12:58 pm

Also saw this out in Tweeterland:

Alvarez: I asked some very close friends of mine to help Paul Chryst get his job. I think he should be committed to Pitt.

You mean there is still something called honor and integrity still out there? There may still be hope for us.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:01 pm

Alvarez: “I won’t use a search committee. Most search committees use me.”

:-D

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:08 pm

Hope with Alvarez’s statement everything returns to normal here. Tried to tell everyone not to worry. Both Alvarez and Chryst class acts, a rare commodity in today’s college environment.

We now return you to your normal programming:)

Comment by John In South Carolina 12.06.12 @ 1:13 pm

Yes Virginia, there IS integrity in college athletics.

Comment by pghFred 12.06.12 @ 1:14 pm

@pghFred:

Indeed there is. Just not much of it. Thankfully, we finally found some this time.

Comment by Panther Pride 12.06.12 @ 1:27 pm

Yes, the decision to hire Paul Hacket over Barry Alvarez ranks right up there, with the old Steelers cutting all time great Johnny Unitas.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 1:27 pm

Prediction: Now the naysayers will say Steve Pederson should be fired for hiring a coach that even a middle of the road program in the mediocre Big 10 like Wisconsin doesn’t want back.

And/or, for not giving said coach (which Wiscy doesn’t want back) a monster raise and extension, even before his first season is finished.

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 12.06.12 @ 1:29 pm

Christmas wish list.
Chryst – check
Foster
Boyd
JoJo
Did my priorities anything so far?

Comment by frank MD 12.06.12 @ 1:57 pm

The “dream job” refrain is really tired… my dream job is the one that pays me the most money for the least amount of work and pays me substantially to go away and thus never need another job … but I digress

If Chryst knew last year that he could wait one year for UW job to open no one would have begrudged him declining Pitt, however many favors Alvarez pulled to get him an offer. Let’s face it — we’d like Chryst to work out long term, but you never what the future will bring for Pitt or for coach. He’s young enough that he could get another shot at UW in the futre and still be able to look at himself in the mirror every day unlike Fraud.

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 12.06.12 @ 2:33 pm

I agree with you Ghost. I think Wisconsin may be in Chryst’s long range plans but he is committed to Pitt and vice versa at least until his current contract expires. Both Chryst and Alvarez appear to be class acts and I am very happy to have Chryst as our coach.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 2:43 pm

Funny story nothing to do nothing with Pitt…

A couple of quotes from Viking LB Chad Greenway to Viking fans for big game against the bears.

“We have to play accordingly and our fans have to show up accordingly, which we know they will. Hopefully, they’re super-duper drunk. … So drink liquor, not beer,” he said after Minnesota’s loss to Green Bay last Sunday, according to the Star Tribune”.

“Yeah, I would say morning drinking,” Greenway said, according to the newspaper. “Why not? You could pull an all-nighter. Then you’d have the drunk, tired guys who will really be obnoxious.”

I wonder if Pitt fans will every get this request!!

Comment by why me 12.06.12 @ 2:46 pm

So now, let’s root for Chryst to earn a name for himself at Pitt. Ranking right up there with Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill would be nice in about five years. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.06.12 @ 3:03 pm

The Fan? absolutely anti Pitt, they all suck and should be removed from Pittsburgh, send them to Cleveland.
The only one who is not negative is Vinny and he is from NY.

Comment by frankarms 12.06.12 @ 3:04 pm

You know the old saying … “you don’t know what you have until you lost (almost) it”.

Paul Chryst just sealed his fate as one of the most beloved PITT HC’s since Jackie and Johnny in the 1970’s – early 80’s.

Great to see that people still have character (Chryst AND Alvarez). Class acts for sure. I would let my boys play for this guy any day!

Comment by PITT FAN in ATLANTA 12.06.12 @ 3:06 pm

I have a new 2nd favorite team, the Badgers. I will be watching and rooting for them in the Rose Bowl this year and hope to see them avenge their OT loss to PSU next year starting a 10 year cosecutive win streak.
I hope their HC selection works out well and they dominate the B10 over the biggest two-faced jerk in D1 football, Urban Meyer.
PC still has much to prove, however it looks like we’ll be able to see him develop at least for awhile. Lets start the new Pitt era with a bowl win and get some recruits that will fire up the fan base and re-load he talent pool.

Comment by Taxing Matters 12.06.12 @ 3:07 pm

Now that we can move on to other topics. For those interested there is an article on ESPN regarding the 15 presidents of the ACC schools issuing a statement saying there will be no more defections and that they are united. Take it for what its worth.

Comment by Floyd 12.06.12 @ 3:51 pm

@Wardapalooza
Now is the time to shore up the dam.
Just because other people lie doesn’t make Pedersons lies about attendance tolerable. Liars lie. That is why they are called liars.
Pederson didn’t fire Harris it is true, so I should have been clear that it was just the athletic department who has treated Pitt football like last week’s newspaper and made it carpet for the dog.
While Long was canning Harris, Pederson was trying to ruin Nebraska’s football program by firing Frank Solich and hiring Bill Callahan.
We dodged this bullet folks, we won’t dodge the next one with pederson at the helm.
Callahan, Haywood, Graham, Cristobal (his choice).
Anyone else would be out on the street.

Comment by sfpitt 12.06.12 @ 4:15 pm

class trumps bravado. we fans have been all over the map about coach’s demeanor. he’s not flashy enough.. he doesn’t get excited at pressers. he doesn’t go overboard in reassurances. but he says what he means and means what he says. works for me.

keep calm

hail to pitt

Comment by pittkeith 12.06.12 @ 4:35 pm

i made a copy of all the i love paul posts , lets see if the honeymoon lasts. lets see if our donations and attendence rebound ,or will we be the same old pittttttttttttttttttttttt ,u and only u can stop the cur……………

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 4:37 pm

Paul, I’ve been a Pitt fan all my life and I don’t think I am over critical. I do want to see good football and I don’t like phoneys. I am glad Tod Graham is gone and I’m even happier that Paul Chryst will be staying at Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 12.06.12 @ 5:27 pm

Classy all the way around.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 12.06.12 @ 5:39 pm

just wanna win like everyone else,I’ll be there paul or not, but its great to have him stay

Comment by paul shannon 12.06.12 @ 6:06 pm

This situation could be used to Chryst’s advantage to assure future recruits of his loyalty to the program, which should also create the feel of future stability in their minds. Come on in Foster and Boyd lets make this a top 25 recruiting class and really get this show on the road goin into the ACC!

Comment by Dr. Tom 12.06.12 @ 7:33 pm

I would add that recruiting should be improved by noting that the team that is going to the Rose Bowl for the 3rd straight year wanted OUR GUY, not the coach at Miami, VTECH, etc…

Comment by SFPitt 12.06.12 @ 8:05 pm

Send me my season tickets for 2013. History is going to be made next year! Keep an eye on Shakir Soto, a Wilkes-Barre DE, enrolling in January. Go Pitt! Beat Ole Miss!

Comment by barreman 12.06.12 @ 8:59 pm

Whew! Now I can have those 60 minute IPAs just because its Friday. Don’t need the trauma and drama as motivation. HTP! Go HCPC, Lets give Old Miss fits!

Comment by opfim 12.07.12 @ 12:04 am

ward and kanyon, sfpitt is correct. Extend Chryst? ABSOLUTELY!!! Why did Bill Obrien get a 9 year contract? Answer the question Ward and Kanyon. He got 9 years before he went 8-4. He got it because of stability. PSU needed to show recruits and their fan base that they were committed to a coach andthe coach was committed to the program! It is simple.

Hang out in a big time athletic department for a couple of months and you will see that Pederson has it all wrong. He is handcuffing Paul Chryst and nobody cares. I think he has 4 years left on his contract now. You do the math. An incoming recruit has 5 years of eligibility and the coach is tied up for 4 years. Hmmmm, the math says the coach may not be here when a new recruit is a redshirt senior. That my friends, is a recipe for disaster.

And sf is right. This is natural selection. The survival of the fittest. The strong feed off the weak. For those that mention Tressel, please know that he will join the Michigan State staff (Dantonio) when his time is near. The pair of them golf alot together in Michigan. They fly under the radar and play many semi-private courses. Gotta love the OSU and MSU golf bags together on a cart! Fun guys.

Paul Chryst will win big if Pederson leaves him alone or gets canned. I prefer the canning. He is a joke on the Big10 campuses.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.07.12 @ 12:22 am