November 27, 2012

Getting To 6 & Other Goals

Filed under: Football — Chas @ 8:33 am

That 6th win. That’s what the focus is. That the opponent is South Florida seems almost secondary.

“You only go to a bowl game if you achieve a certain level,” Chryst said. “That’s certainly a goal.”

In Pitt’s case, that would mean beating South Florida on Saturday night and reaching a .500 record in the regular season (6-6) for the second consecutive season.

That likely would lead to the school’s fifth bowl berth in a row, either the Pinstripe, BBVA Compass, Liberty or Beef ‘O’ Brady’s.

“There absolutely is value to it,” Chryst said. “The benefits to the program and the rewards to the players are huge.”

The tangible benefits to the players — other than the gift bags and free meals offered by bowl officials at the site — would be license to practice 15 more times.

Senior guard Chris Jacobson, who has gone to a bowl game in all but his freshman season with the Panthers in 2007, said the experience would be good for younger players who didn’t get a lot of practice time during the regular season.

“We really got after it, the younger guys, and the older guys got a break,” he said, recalling previous pre-bowl practices. “It’s kind of rough, actually. I feel bad for the younger guys,” he said, laughing.

It would be nice for the team to go to the bowl game with the same head coach they had for the first 12 games.

The whole extra practice thing is very much just a coachspeak thing. You can make the argument that with 70 teams in the various bowls, there is no real prestige to making some low-level bowl. Here’s the counter-point. With so many bowls, how bad does it look when you can’t even get the requisite number of wins to make a bowl game? How embarrassing is it to be that team?

Another goal for this game should be a decision by the coaches to make sure Ray Graham gets at least 52 yards. Let him get a 1000 yard season after everything of the last couple of years. It would also be something that the O-line could point to in terms of some success. Graham is even closer to moving to second all-time on Pitt’s career rushing leaders. Only 16 yards to reach that goal.

For all the things he’s done wrong, the one thing Sunseri hasn’t done is throw interceptions. Obviously a little luck is involved, but he deserves a fair amount of credit for getting rid of more balls in bad situations and improved throws.

As for the transferring players — Jason Frimpong and Roderick Ryles. Given the problems and injuries to the linebacking corps this year, the fact that Frimpong couldn’t get on the field probably says it all.

Ryles is a little more disappointing. He was a fairly talented safety when recruited with good size. He had offers from Michigan, WVU and Arkansas. With Holley and Taglianetti graduating and Hendricks only having a year left, it would have been assumed that he had a shot to at least make the rotation next year. Either he saw himself falling on the depth chart or he just didn’t like the situation.

lol Jackagain.

The size disparity among these kids is funny.

Did you happen to notice the size of the Center,
he’s huge compared to all the others. He must be as old as Sir Tino. 🙂

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:04 pm

@FRANKCAN, to be honest, I’d much rather have NAVY for football than Louisville or UCONN.

Fantastic road trip!! Love Annapolis.

For what it’s worth, in the ACC v Maryland lawsuits, all remaining school presidents signed off on it, including FSU, Clemson and GT.

Bringing Louisville or UCONN does nothing but equal out the numbers. Neither will stave off any poaching of other schools.

Neither will NAVY, so all things being equal, I’d rather go to NAVY for a game.

Those rumors out there, see to be saying NAVY just for football.

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:08 pm

“Was it Tino again when time after time we see a receiver drop a ball that could and should have been caught? Maybe the receiver “choked” or perhaps he just dropped the ball.”

never blamed him for the drops. It was the overthrows, underthrows, throws 5 yards to the right, throws 5 yards to the left, throws in the ground, throws to nobody in particular and the killer/gamechanging/momentum killing blown throws to wide open receivers for TD’s. That’s all

Other than that he was just dandy !

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:08 pm

There is a shopping center in my area that has a Giant Supermarket on one end, and a large empty building on the other end. That building has been empty for years. It was the “Old” Giant Supermarket in the area. They continue to rent it, and leave it empty, because they don’t want another Supermarket chain to move into the space. For this reason, I favor the ACC taking Lville, Cincy, and UCONN now. Lock them in, and make their TV markets available to the new “ACC Network” before some other conference takes them in their move to the 16 team megaconference. Besides, the thought of a BB Conference with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UCONN, Lville and Pittsburgh in it is just plain fun to think about.

Comment by HbgFrank 11.27.12 @ 6:13 pm

Penguin gives it to the haters sorry email

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 6:13 pm

Seinfeld marathon episode:

“you’re all winners!!!”

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:14 pm

@HbgFrank, ya, especially in Louisville’s case, the Big12 and them have been flirting for the past year or two.

I have no answers. I think what will be important is the outcome of the lawsuit.

Layers out there, does the ACC have a leg to stand on, or is it just gonna be watered down to 20M after all the back and forth??

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:17 pm

Layers out there!!! LOL Lawyers!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:20 pm

I agree with Dan-O I’d rather have a outstanding academic institute like Navy in the ACC plus Annapolis is always a great place to visit on a Road Trip.

Also I think it lessens the chance of ND coming ALL In if you take L-Ville and/or Cincy. I don’t believe I remember ND playing either one of them in football.

One of the thing saving ND from going to the Big 12 is their lack of academics which ND takes seriously. Adding a longtime foe of ND in Navy only would add to the pluses of joining the ACC for football. And they are a long time foe of PITT as well and BC.

And besides all that, it adds another team we have a better chance of beating. Always a consideration. lol

Navy can come in for football only and then you add Georgetown as a substitute for Navy in basketball. And you effectually cancel out any MD losses in either sport, esp. basketball and DC, Northern VA & MD recruiting.

@Dan-o think it’s more on the order of a preemptive strike on the part of the ACC. As far as the law suit.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:29 pm

Dan i kind of understand abought the maryland
navy thing but if we bring in a football only team are we not turning into the big east.
i mean just abought any body would have made the same deal with ND that the ACC did.
but to do it ageian for navy and maryland.
i dont know would not u conn bring in just as many tv sets plus u conns basketball navy cant do that.
plus i dont see them geting us more money .
the only way to get more money is to go to 16 teams.

like the song what was i thinking that is what they will be saying.

it matains maryland but adds nothing not even BB.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 6:33 pm

EMel what you say would work and unlike juat navy would make the BB better but we still then cross over to the big east foot print more and more do we want to go down that road.
plus if we dont tak u conn and l ville now some else will then who do we take if we want to go to 16.
if we do it now there is a new tv contract why wait.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 6:43 pm

I know we all have some angst going on here brothers, this from ESPN should make us ALL sleep more easy.

“With the exception obviously of Maryland, every single one of the ACC presidents unanimously agreed to this lawsuit – including North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Clemson … and any other school you want to add to the conference realignment rumor mill. You think the presidents would endorse this move if they were going to be the next to challenge it? Doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Not only were all 11 current ACC presidents in favor of it, but Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame also endorsed their support of the lawsuit, according to a league source. That sign of solidarity is a strong step towards reiterating future stability in the league, and it proves the conference believes its exit fee is non-negotiable. ACC officials believe it is a legally binding agreement, and they tend to use Maryland to prove it.”

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:10 pm

@FrankCan

I’m thinking the ACC, by adding a great academic institution and historically rich football tradition, like the Naval Academy, it’s saying we just won’t settle for just anyone. Which is very admirable and a conference that I and I’m sure most of our fellow brothers want to be affiliated with.

On the business end of things, it’s bring another yearly opponent of Notre Dame into the mix and could be a precursor of ND coming all in.

And if you get ND…ALL IN…..who cares if you have one team on a hybrid basis. That being Navy for football and some BigEast basketball school for basketball only (Georgetown, Nova or St. John’s).

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:18 pm

This also from ESPN: (and I think they’re league source would be A-1 since the most programming content of any sport on ESPN is provided by the ACC)

No invitations have been sent to other programs about joining the ACC, according to a league source.

“In order to replace a school, one first has to leave, and with a lawsuit pending, it might be even more difficult for Maryland to walk away than many had originally thought. ACC commissioner John Swofford has wished Maryland well in its pursuit of happiness in the Big Ten, but neither he nor any of the other university presidents are going to let Maryland leave the table without paying the bill first. “

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:27 pm

folks-
We have been through two rounds of lawsuits regarding conference affiliation. In both case the departing schools (PITT included) have successful left. My guesss is that Maryland will leave but they will be 50M out of pocket. Not a big deal since the estimated 10 year increase in revenue from being in the Big Whatever is estimated to be 100M for Maryland.

Comment by PITT Fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 8:00 pm

Let’s stop something in it’s tracks right now.
I, unlike many on this blog, actually attended the Rutgers game.
When Tino’s mom was introduced, the prevailing response was silence, as in if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say it.
I sit on the lower level so if one of the forty or so fans sitting in section 525 booed, I might not have heard it.
Of the audible sounds, polite applause was what I heard.
I am sure there were some boos, in a crowd comprised mostly of family and friends, one tends to stand out given the sparse crowd.
But to say she was booed is wrong. Don’t lay me in that group. I simply looked at her on the scoreboard in her hood and hoped she would get thru it.
And oh by the way, there were several recruits near me and they did not hear booing.

Comment by SFPitt 11.27.12 @ 8:22 pm

Here, Here, SFPITT!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are idiots everywhere. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, political affilitation and religious affiliation.

I wasn’t even gonna comment on this. Yes, in my section, if there were 500 people, ya, I heard 5 or 6 “boos”.

If there was 20-25k people there, ok, 100 or so, or a couple hundred booed.

Don’t make it out to be a Pitt thing either.

Crowds of 60-70-80k at pro games all over the country. Hockey games, any sport.

Someone gets injured from the other team, or sometimes even your own team, there are always some AH’s booing an injured player.

They’re called idiots, AH’s, jerks, whatever term you’d like. They’re everywhere.

%95 of the fans don’t do this, nor did about %95 of the fans boo Tino’s Mom.

Drop it!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:08 pm

I also would imagine everyone on here remains loyal to the University of Pittsburgh, regardless of wins or losses by it’s sports teams.

As a matter of fact, I’ve never seen anyone on here be disloyal.

I get a kick out some people read a comment or two, then lump your whole body of comments into one word or one thought.

And what is it with the word “hater” the past couple of years.

What exactly does that mean? You see it a lot in politics.

Hatred used to be a strong word. Now, it’s just a substitute word for meaning someone doesn’t agree with your opinion.

For example, how could I hate Tino Sunseri??? I’ve never met him. Never met any of the Sunseri family. I have no idea whether I’d like him or not.

Seems like a nice kid, nice family, I love PennMac!!!!

I have never said anything personally about him, and frankly, I have rarely if ever seen anyone on here say anything bad about him, as a person, as a son, as a brother, as an uncle or as a person in the community.

A lot of us don’t think he was a very good college quarterback. This is a Pitt’s sports blog, that’s what we’re gonna freakin’ talk about, Pitt sports.

And yes, I and many others have given him praise this year when he has had good games, and just a post or two ago, I said I was happy with Coach Chryst and Coach Bollinger and what they did to help Tino have a much better year this year, than his previoud two!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:22 pm

Hey, I learned something. My use of the phrase “here, here” did not look right.

Googled it. Actually, “here, here” does have almost double the amount of “hits” on the internet.

However, wikipedia says that “hear, hear” is the proper usage.

I thought something looked incorrect, allthough, seems like both are used.

So, Hear, Hear SFPITT!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:24 pm

If Maryland can’t leave, that means the offer to Rutgers is null and void. Couldn’t the ACC then invite Rutgers, Louisville and UConn or Cincy to the party? ND makes 18. Sorry Navy.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 9:49 pm

Boo…smoooo. Who cares. I think we all need a drink right now. Pitt hoops won tonight so I’ll down one right now. Looking forward to the Indiana and NC game tonight. Anybody But Me…for quarterback that is.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 9:55 pm

Saturday will be confusing. Watching Pitt FB on ESPN2 and Pitt BB on ESPN3 (computer) both at 7pm.

Comment by frank MD 11.27.12 @ 9:56 pm

Ok, TX Panther, I’ve been left home alone, so I’ll join you.

Think I’ll try out the scotch rocks my nephew sent me. Been in the freezer for several days!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 10:01 pm

Sorry if anyone posted this above, but it looks like the Pinstripe Bowl may be interested in a NYC backyard brawl:

link to triblive.com

Comment by Dan35 11.27.12 @ 11:00 pm

I was at the game sitting right in front of the parents. When Tino’s mother was announced in was tepid applause.

I was happy for her and Tino and proud of the fans. I am not saying that people did not boo in the upper sections, but at field level you could not hear it.

The fans also did not boo Tino when he fumbled on the 2 yard line. It was a good showing by the fans.

I never sit that low, but because I did I got to heckle smiling Steve for a while. Once I started more people in the section jumped in with me.

My wife made me stop.

Comment by kman 11.28.12 @ 9:35 am

An accurate passer will have a high completion rate.

An inaccurate passer will have some interceptions.

A very inaccurate passer will have almost no interceptions because even the defensive backs can’t get to the ball.

Comment by 66Goat 11.28.12 @ 12:53 pm

Sagarin computer ranking has Pitt BB at #13.
Nice but I think this team is still hopefully developing.

Comment by frank MD 11.28.12 @ 6:11 pm

@Dan
Heard, heard. Tough being the parent of an athlete.
You think football is bad, get yourself to a swim club where mothers with nothing better to do take control of everything.
They are the real A-holes.
Mrs. Sunseri has probably lived a life of catcalls and boos, cheers and everything in between.
She showed true class Saturday.

Comment by SFPitt 11.28.12 @ 9:32 pm

For those interested I ran a raw Bayesian statistical formula on Pitt’s recruiting class using 247 sports, ESPN, Rivals, and Scout. I found a few good things and a few bad. 1. We have currently only one unanimous 2 star recruit (carson baker) the rest 2.5 and above which isn’t terrible. 2. Rivals is low balling our class compared to the others by .2 stars. 3. Pitt’s aggregate star ranking is 2.8289. 4. Of the remaining kids who are considering Pitt, guys like Foster, Boyd, Moody, Officer and the like have an avg 3.2 star rating. I was bored and I just watched poll aggregates pick the election so I figured why not apply it to recruiting.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 11.29.12 @ 12:19 am