November 27, 2012

Getting To 6 & Other Goals

Filed under: Football — Chas @ 8:33 am

That 6th win. That’s what the focus is. That the opponent is South Florida seems almost secondary.

“You only go to a bowl game if you achieve a certain level,” Chryst said. “That’s certainly a goal.”

In Pitt’s case, that would mean beating South Florida on Saturday night and reaching a .500 record in the regular season (6-6) for the second consecutive season.

That likely would lead to the school’s fifth bowl berth in a row, either the Pinstripe, BBVA Compass, Liberty or Beef ‘O’ Brady’s.

“There absolutely is value to it,” Chryst said. “The benefits to the program and the rewards to the players are huge.”

The tangible benefits to the players — other than the gift bags and free meals offered by bowl officials at the site — would be license to practice 15 more times.

Senior guard Chris Jacobson, who has gone to a bowl game in all but his freshman season with the Panthers in 2007, said the experience would be good for younger players who didn’t get a lot of practice time during the regular season.

“We really got after it, the younger guys, and the older guys got a break,” he said, recalling previous pre-bowl practices. “It’s kind of rough, actually. I feel bad for the younger guys,” he said, laughing.

It would be nice for the team to go to the bowl game with the same head coach they had for the first 12 games.

The whole extra practice thing is very much just a coachspeak thing. You can make the argument that with 70 teams in the various bowls, there is no real prestige to making some low-level bowl. Here’s the counter-point. With so many bowls, how bad does it look when you can’t even get the requisite number of wins to make a bowl game? How embarrassing is it to be that team?

Another goal for this game should be a decision by the coaches to make sure Ray Graham gets at least 52 yards. Let him get a 1000 yard season after everything of the last couple of years. It would also be something that the O-line could point to in terms of some success. Graham is even closer to moving to second all-time on Pitt’s career rushing leaders. Only 16 yards to reach that goal.

As for the transferring players — Jason Frimpong and Roderick Ryles. Given the problems and injuries to the linebacking corps this year, the fact that Frimpong couldn’t get on the field probably says it all.

Ryles is a little more disappointing. He was a fairly talented safety when recruited with good size. He had offers from Michigan, WVU and Arkansas. With Holley and Taglianetti graduating and Hendricks only having a year left, it would have been assumed that he had a shot to at least make the rotation next year. Either he saw himself falling on the depth chart or he just didn’t like the situation.

Frimpong is not an LB type in a 4-3 defense…
He was recruited as “athlete”… at 5’11”, 180#, good speed… was more a safety type.
I presume he didn’t see himself as an LB… and was not going to get a shot at safety.

Comment by Joe D 11.27.12 @ 9:22 am

“For all the things he’s done wrong, the one thing Sunseri hasn’t done is throw interceptions. Obviously a little luck is involved, but he deserves a fair amount of credit for getting rid of more balls in bad situations and improved throws.”

What a bunch of bull. Out of 116 D1 QB’s, Tino Sunseri has the 21st best Passer Rating. (maybe you will attribute that to luck too) Tino Sunseri also has the 29th best Completion Percentage in the country (but you will attribute that to luck). Tino Sunseri has thrown 18 TD passes (luck) and only 2 INTs (luck).

Yeah, he certainly is lucky. I have commented many times on people look for reasons to root against him. 18 TDs and only 2 INTs and you find reason to complain. Such a shame.

Comment by Ghost of Pete Gonzalez 11.27.12 @ 9:28 am

I hope we get to 6 and any bowl for the players sake. We all know about how these bowls use the schools and make money but it is what it is.

Comment by Frank 11.27.12 @ 9:31 am

and they booed his mom, how can justify that in front of recuits, i am no longer fraid of ghosts ,i like this one,idiots and scholars r only one statement away from being labeled

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 9:37 am

for the record… I predicted 6-6 season..
albeit I had losses for VTech and Rutgers.
So, those who said 8-4… yep… that is probably where Pitt should be but for… YSU, etc.

Comment by Joe D 11.27.12 @ 10:08 am

Forde of Yahoo Sports…
Awarded Pitt with the Pyscho Team of the Year Award for Big East…
Why… loss to YSU… almost beat ND… and did beat Rutgers.

Comment by Joe D 11.27.12 @ 10:29 am

Hey Ghost…Have you watched any Pitt games this season? Or maybe you just tuned in for the first three quarters? Yes, Sunseri has had a statistically good year, but he *still* chokes in clutch situations. That’s something that Pete Gonzales rarely did. With the legacy of good quarterback play at this school, we have every right to complain.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 10:37 am

Hey fellas, what’s the deal??? If Pitt wins Saturday and gets the 6th win, are we set in stone going to a bowl game somewhere????

Just looked at a couple bowl projection sites, don’t have Pitt listed anywhere.

Could it be they think Pitt will lose Saturday??

Or, even if we win, can it come down to someone wanting to pick us??? Pitt tv ratings always good, traveling to bowls not so good.

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 10:43 am

Pretty sure one of the Big East affiliated bowls has to take us if we’re eligible.

Comment by maguro 11.27.12 @ 10:53 am

Well our “lucky” quarterback Tino Sunseri has only led us to one road win this season…and it was against Buffalo. USF isn’t good but they are probably more talented than a MAC bottom-feeder. I’m not taking anything for granted.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 11:05 am

Sam Werner’s Redshirt Diaries once again gave a good analysis of the game. He accurately pointed out how Sunseri “managed” the game and put Pitt in the position to win. I agree with him and I also concur with the Ghost of Pete Gonzalez’s post above.

Now I am a dues paying member in the ABT Club, but I’m also a realist. So I’m having a pretty hard time understanding how my fellow club members continue to turn a blind eye to Tino’s good performances from this season.

All I really hoped for from him, if he saw the field again this season, was for him to be a “game manager” that would just be able to keep Pitt in the game. Tino has accomplished that and more this season. Yeah, he has shown his true choking colors everytime that he had the opportunity to be the game changer, and consistantly gagged quite nicely under pressure but he is sooooo much better this season. Don’t we all already know his limitations? So shouldn’t our expectations also be tempered in light of those limitations? But really, how do you possibly bitch about him in light of his improved play this year???

The fumble on the 2 yard line was so typical Tino that I just shook my head. But as Werner pointed out, thid time the D gave us the ball back in good field position and then we stuck right back into the endzone, that’s good. Then at the end of the half, you gotta give Sunseri the credit for that perfectly placed pass at the back corner of the endzone to Tinker. That ball was gone before Tinker even made his move on the cornerback and the timing was quick and P E R F E C T, with only seconds left in the half!

I was at the game on Saturday and I have to tell you, I was embarrassed by the booing when Mrs Sunseri was announced. That was just totally uncalled for and was a no class move by those who expressed their attitudes in that way. Tino has given nothing but his best effort for our team during his tenure at Pitt. He is a tough kid who has put up with a lot more $hit than he should have had to deal with and he has come out of it as a survivor IMO.

Nobody can do a single thing about what happened yesterday, so quit judging Sunseri by bringing up his many shortcomings from the past. It’s what he does in his next game that you should be judging him on, and in that regard, he has my praise for bringing home another unexpected win against Rutgers. Good job Tino!

H2P and lets not lose our focus and drop the game that we SHOULD win down in Tampa on Saturday.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 11:05 am

A 6-6 Pitt team is guaranteed a spot in one of the BE contracted bowls .. rumor that the BBVA may be willing to sweeten the pot to NOT take Pitt for the third year in a row .. there’s about a $375,000 difference between the payout between the BBVA and Beef ‘O’ Brady …

Comment by Hoopzebra 11.27.12 @ 11:10 am

That is a shame if Tino’s mom was booed. We have to face it that he is the best we have right now. I will be glad to see someone else get a shot next year but that was not classy at all.
With the transfers and the release of a safety, does anyone know how many roster spots we have for the incoming recruiting class?

Comment by Rex 11.27.12 @ 11:16 am

Sunseri started off rough (1st two games) but for the most part hasn’t been a detriment. Is he great? No. Is he a serviceable D1 QB? Yes, this year he is. He hasn’t been great in pressure situations but neither has Chryst. Chryst has had some very objectionable play calls at critical points in games. We have 1 maybe 2 more games with Sunseri – let him go in peace. He may not be clutch (fact) but he is not the only one who hasn’t performed. Coaching cost us games. The defense has cost us games and Special Teams have cost us games. In my eyes, the mediocre season can be pinned on any number of people and to single out Sunseri is unfair.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 11.27.12 @ 11:22 am

Don’t forget boys, Howard is visiting the Pete tonight,and I don’t mean Stern.

Comment by alcofan 11.27.12 @ 11:27 am

Dr. Tom that is a through and thoughtful analysis. And I agree that no matter what kind of shortcomings a player may have exhibited in the past booing him or any member of his family – at Senior Day during his Senior year no less – is an absolutely classless move, a move I could never condone nor participate in.

I don’t want anyone to misunderstand me… I root for Tino every time he takes the field. I WANT him to succeed, because if he succeeds, the team succeeds. And yes, it could have be A LOT worse this year. His performance is a testament to the coaching staff putting him in the right position and his desire and work ethic to be the best he can be. And yes, he had has his moments. And yes, he deserves credit for what he is. A journeyman quarterback who will put you in a position to win a game. And yes he does deserve credit for his fine play against Rutgers.

So in the spirit of that and all things good and the University of Pittsburgh, I’ll put my anti-Tino sentiments to rest for a while, and pull for Tino to continue his efficient play this season, and for the rest of the team to rally around him in Tampa so we can notch that second road win and get the team to a well-deserved bowl. Hail to Pitt.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 11:30 am

I could be wrong, but I think the same thing happened to the Stull family. Or maybe there was an altercation, but I seem to recall a negative happening.

Booing the family is really classless. Something we should leave to the Hoopies.

Comment by velvil 11.27.12 @ 11:35 am

@MAGURO, ya, I think you’re right, and I agree with you. Looked at a couple bowl projection sites and they didn’t have us.

Should have looked at more than two, which I just did, including ESPN, and several of them have us in the Compass Bowl or Beef O’ Gravys bowl!!

Ok, so, we win, we go somewhere.

Let’s win it boys.

“Everybody goes to a bowl game!!” Allthough a way to disrespect the bowl system (and I agree and have said this statement in the past), as Chas says above, you definitely want to be in the group of 70 that goes, instead of the group of 55 that does not go!!

HTP!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 11:49 am

verbal abuse to family at sun bowl

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 11:49 am

Wow… pretty sad to Boo Foxy Roxy Sunseri..
She is a Pitt alum..
Gymnist….
Pitt is where Sal and Roxanne met… we all called her Foxy Roxy…

Comment by Joe D 11.27.12 @ 11:49 am

I will miss these ABT discussions next year. But, I won’t miss the frustration he causes. However, I’m sure there will be another source for it on the team that fills the void nicely.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 11:56 am

Well only 1-2 more games with Tino. I give him credit.. 18tds and 2picks.. who would have believed it ?

But what a QB is judged on is Wins, and making critical plays. He did not. The QB touches the ball on every play (baring punts etc)

You ask him to make the crucial throws.. not fumble, not take game crushing sacks. Tino did not deliver there, and sadly that is what he will be remembered for.

But once again, there is renewed optimism with Pitt with a new QB, Adam B and Dorian J on the line..and in a weak ACC division, I dare say Pitt will rise ?

Or remain in mediocrity for the last 20+ years ?
Can’t blame Tino for that !

Comment by Snala The Panther 11.27.12 @ 11:59 am

What are you people talking about Tino’s mom was NOT booed at the game…I know because I was there…along with about 100 other fans.

Comment by Marco 11.27.12 @ 12:07 pm

Salute to you, Atlanta Panther! Lets watch Tino get on a roll and post a couple more wins for the Panthers. The Spring ball MoJo for Pitt will be much enhanced with a three game win streak as our team’s recent memories.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Chryst and company end up pulling out of their hat regarding recruiting as LOI day approaches down the line. A couple more wins can only help in that regard.

It will also be very interesting to see just how the QB competition pans out in the Spring too. With Chapman matriculating in Jan. there will be four legit candidates to look at for QB.

I’m just hoping that we have an Ace or two up our sleeves on the recruiting trail however. With what’s gone on with the three dismissals this week, Chryst has a lot of scholarships still left to offer. I’d love to see any of the following linemen end up committing to Pitt on LOI Day. All live close enough to Pittsburgh to have that as an advantage in recruiting, making it easy enough for their friends and family come to see them play at Pitt. And they all have the talent potential to see the field early if they put in the work.

DT- Donovan Munger, Shaker Heights, OH
OT- Na’Ty Rodgers, Pomfert, MD
OT- Kyle Meadows, West Chester, OH
DT_ Justin Moody, Philly, PA

I’m sure that FRANKCAN can comment on each recruit’s potential to commit, since he is all over the recruiting scene. What say you Frank?

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 12:17 pm

Atlanta Panther, have you ever checked out Dan Marino’s senior year stats? Let’s start with 17 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. Then we can move to 59% completion percentage and 6.6 yards per attempt. Statistically speaking, Tino Sunseri’s senior year is far better than Dan Marino’s by any metric. It appears that may include sacks.

Please don’t throw the W-L thing in either. Marino was playing on a more talented team during the most recent glory years of Pitt football and his career fell right in the middle of it.

However I will grant you that Tino Sunseri has no “John Brown” moment to speak of. In that regard he has always appeared to be lacking.

None of that means I don’t revere Dan Marino. However it does mean that I can objectively appreciate Tino Sunseri’s value to Pitt football for the last three seasons.

Comment by Barvo 11.27.12 @ 12:17 pm

@Barvo – Wouldn’t it be funny if Tino went on to a hall-of-fame career in the NFL!

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 12:23 pm

@ Marco, it wasn’t dominant but the boos were definetly apparent enough in my section #111, for me to turn around to scope it out.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 12:25 pm

@ Atlanta Panther, when that happens, I’ll start checking my bowel movements because that has about as much of a chance of occurring as I doing pooping out gold bars. LOL.

Actually, I see Tino following in his Dad’s footsteps and getting into coaching. You know what they say, if you can’t play,,,,,,,,

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 12:29 pm

Wow, Tino’s Mom came all the way from Knoxville, TN…LOL

Comment by pittbluegold 11.27.12 @ 12:31 pm

I saw somewhere on the net there was some speculation that the Pinstripe Bowl may take Pitt and WVU (Big 12 #7 vs BE #4).

Comment by HbgFrank 11.27.12 @ 12:32 pm

… and before someone doesn’t pick up my sarcasm, I’ll say this. I don’t know Tino’s complete story, but I know that the Sunseri family is a proud family, with PITTSBURGH roots. His dad Tino was a star at the University of PITTSBURGH. Tino is a graduate of Central Catholic in PITTSBURGH. Lots of strong relationships in PITTSBURGH.

Yes, I think booing his Mom was classless, but when Tino says he’s from Knoxville, TN, well, some things he just brings on himself. HTP

Comment by pittbluegold 11.27.12 @ 12:38 pm

I don’t think there is anyone in Pittsburgh, West Virgina or anywhere in between that wouldn’t want to see Pitt and WVU battle it out on the frozen tundra of Yankee Stadium in late December. Most Epic Backyard Brawl. Ever.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 12:39 pm

Wait…Pittbluegold…is…this…true? Dr. Tom? Somebody? Knoxville? Arrrgh….

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 12:41 pm

Tulane now in the Big East? WTF!

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 12:43 pm

And ECU for football only. All about new markets and TV sets. Tulane really sucks and to think the Big East is replacing one historically irrelevant football program with another.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 12:54 pm

Tiny’s Dad is going to be looking for a job soon. He left Saban last year to join Dooley who was just fired. Here is how it plays out. Sal takes a D Coord position at Pitt and brings Tiny on as a Grad Asst that works with QB’s. We still will not rid ourselves of Tino.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 12:55 pm

We have 19 commits currently. If we can take 25, how about finishing with
Boyd & Foster – WR
Officer – G
Moody & Gibbs – DL
Webb – WR or Hill – S or Hytche – CB

That would be a strong finish!

Comment by Rex 11.27.12 @ 1:00 pm

big east has added east carolina for football only and tulane in all sports.
i thought tulane had a shot at acc becuse they are a aau school.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 1:00 pm

@Atlanta Panther .. completely true – on the player intro video before every game the players give their name; position; year; hometown – for the last two years Tino has identified his hometown as Knoxville, TN ..

Comment by Hoopzebra 11.27.12 @ 1:03 pm

DR TOM they would be wonderful recruits but i dont think we will get them maybe one of them
but we have a real shot at some good ones i will list them later.
most run to basement now .also must check on expansion when i come up will list the player later in the day.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 1:07 pm

According to the ESPN web site, the Pitt/Howard BB game is on ESPN 3 tonite.

Comment by TOURMAN 11.27.12 @ 1:29 pm

Dr. Tom – I’m in 511, and I didn’t hear any boos for Tino’s mom, but really all I heard was the wind howling across my face.

And apologies if that wind deposited any snack debris on you from above!

Comment by KeyboardKev 11.27.12 @ 1:31 pm

TOURMAN – I’ve tried that before, but it’s been blacked out in the local area before when games are also on Comcast’s “Pitt Panthers TV” which the Pitt web page shows for tonight. Not that I won’t try, though.

Comment by KeyboardKev 11.27.12 @ 1:32 pm

DR TOM here are some players i think we have a real shot at.
we just offered this one sterling parks RB from
milford academy he is smll but runs a 4.4 forty
2 tristan nickelson OT 6 foot 8 296 pounds
from texas will make a offical vist.
3 jester weah big WR from wisconsin just visted.
4 nick jacobsen DT 6 foot 5 305 pounds from wisconsin.
5 alex officer OT 6 FOOT 4 310 POUNDS

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 1:49 pm

KeyboardKev – It does say it is subject to blackout, but I live away from the Pgh. area, so I think I’ll be able to see it. Good luck to you, though…hope you get to see it.

Comment by TOURMAN 11.27.12 @ 1:56 pm

Slightly off topic but there are now (3) SEC schools looking for new coaches. Do we think Fraud will get a look or throw his name in the mix? Is Auburn his new “dream” job?

Comment by pittfan92 11.27.12 @ 2:06 pm

I wasn’t at the game where Roxy Sunseri was booed. Are we sure they weren’t booing her for her performance as a gymnast back in the 70’s? Just saying :). PITT fans have a long memory.

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 2:07 pm

@Pitt fan 92
I am both a PITT and Auburn alum. God wouldn’t do that to me. Fraud isn’t big time enough for the War Eagles.

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 2:09 pm

CNNSI reporting that the BE (aka CUSA) has formally added East Carolina (football) and Tulane (all,sports).

Funny how this works

ACC becomes old BE
BE becomes old CUSA
CUSA become old MAC

Would have been easier to simply change name :(

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 2:19 pm

A thought for those keeping an eye on the expansion crapola!

The ACC needs to add a team obviously. Conventional wisdom has it probably being between UCONN and Louisville.

Yes, I wish it was some other home run or rabbit pulled out of a hat, but, it looks like it will be one of those two.

Wouldn’t be wiser, at this time, to get Louisville now???

We can always get UCONN, they’re going nowhere else.

Louisville has always been in play with the Big 12 if they ever go to 12 or more.

If the end game is 16, might be wise to get them now.

Unfortuneatly, neither will stop the poaching of the ACC if the Big 10, SEC or Big12 wants to, I’m afraid.

That might also kick this garbage into high gear, if Louisville tells the Big 12, “hey, we have an ACC invite, do you want us now, or not”.

Just a thought.

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 2:32 pm

Love Tulane’s colors and nickname!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 2:34 pm

nice upittbaseball,sal has a million six reasons, not to come back, contracts like bradley’s,maybe coach jordano and i should have beer with u,u have a hardon 4 r alumni.

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 2:34 pm

Auburn will announce the hiring of Petrino within the next 5 days. He is a winner and they need that ASAP. Plus he knows the SEC and recruiting.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 2:37 pm

I know i am nuts but i thought tulane had a real chance at the ACC it is in the 5th largest tv
market and a AAU school i know not mutch in sports but they would have got better look at u conn before big east they were nothing in football
i am not sure why acc is looking at navy there bb
cant compeate with outhers in acc.
would that be to keep a maryland footprint.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 2:38 pm

In today’s world Bowl Swag is a motivator.

Oy Vey !

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 2:40 pm

It was a joke as Sal will be out at TN. The entire board wants to rid ourselves of Tino and the humor is he will jump on somewhere as a graduate assistant coaching QB’s. I just hope it isn’t at Pitt. I have no hard ons for alumni. Tino isn’t a good QB and his actions on and off the field show he isn’t a good leader either. I will have a beer anytime. Make it a Yuengling.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 2:42 pm

there was booing going on when they announced his mom, albeit not very loud, still shameful ….. but that is where the frustration level is at with Sunseri at QB, not his fault, 3 years and no quarterback was better……boo Wanny for that one

Comment by grncopantherfan 11.27.12 @ 2:43 pm

DAN i am with you but no rabbit unless navy.
but i think we should just go to 16 teams then we could get a new tv contract more money move up with the jones.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 2:45 pm

Re: Tonight’s Howard game.. Anyone in the NY area that gets SNY will be able to watch it on there.

Comment by MikePITT 11.27.12 @ 2:54 pm

Interesting article on the mismanagement of Maryland athletic dept.

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

What a mess they created. Looks like the Big Whatever threw them a huge life preserver.

As much bad mouthing I hear about Pederson By fans i wonder what our athletic dept finances are looking like. Anyone have any idea ?

Comment by PITT fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 2:55 pm

I find it absolutely incredible that the National Champions of 2010-2011, the Auburn Tigers have fallen so far so fast.

This team went undefeated at 13-0 just 2 years ago and just finished as the worst team in the SEC at 0-8. 3-9 overall and those were 3 paid for rent-a-wins over the likes of Alabama A&M (FCS), New Mexico State (1-10) and La -Monroe by 3 points.

Got to be one of the worst teams in all FBS.
Yes we know Cam Newton left, but you mean to tell me they had no other good players to go from 13-0 to 3-9 in 2 years.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 3:03 pm

Emel, Dwyer left, he was MVP of championship, newton went pro and so did Fairley. The others left and or graduated and many transferred. Sad how fast it fell but Newton was the difference and proved how bad Chizik is as a coach.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 3:08 pm

They also lost their OC and switched from a spread to the pro style, so that didn’t help. But yes, the consensus is that Chizik = not good.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 3:10 pm

@Ghost of Pete

Sir Tino is very lucky. (Chas is correct)

Lucky to be born as a D1 Coaches son & legacy.

Cause let’s face it, he’d be playing in D3 somewhere (Juniata College sounds appropriate) as a Safety more than likely.

link to en.wikipedia.org

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 3:14 pm

ACC has just filled a suit against Maryland on the exit fee.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Jackagain 11.27.12 @ 3:16 pm

chizik were the players he won with were they all ready there when he took over the bulk of them
some coachs can coach but cant receuit or should i say cant juge talent.
mybe this is what happened when he got his own players on the field
dont know just a thought cant win if you dont have the good players and cam was a gift from
flordia

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 3:22 pm

Atlanta Panther….. Yep Gus took the Arkansas State HC position.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 3:23 pm

Take this for what it’s worth, but I was at the game on Saturday and didn’t hear any discernible booing of Sunseri’s mom from the crowd. I was in 132 and didn’t hear anything from the sections around us.

There may have been a smattering of boos here and there around the stadium – there are idiots in every crowd – but nothing that was even remotely noticeable. And I was listening for it because I had a bad feeling it was going to be at a very audible level.

Comment by Stoosh 11.27.12 @ 3:28 pm

This just in:

ACC files lawsuit against Maryland for full $50 Mil
:-)

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 3:30 pm

Acc will settle for 25M. If this happens or it’s less there may be a run on the Acc

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 3:39 pm

Good thing Sir Tino didn’t play for a school in Philadelphia.

I didn’t hear any boos either and you know ESPN would have brought it up if it happened, since they like to make PITT & Pittsburgh look bad.

I know Bill Hillgrove and he didn’t mention anything either, so I doubt it was even discernible in the regular crowd noise.

That has to be garbage from Tinobots.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 3:40 pm

club west 4 sure ,east side same group, you could hear it plain as day

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 3:42 pm

lol see what I mean

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 3:48 pm

Guess my section must have more a-holes in it than other sections, cuse the boos were audible without having to listen for them from where I sat. I hope that is not a poor reflection on me personally? Now I’m wondering, did I get placed in that section for a reason? I think I’m a nice guy, my dogs sure seem to like me?

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 4:02 pm

it was probably just a joke lol,tinobots good one.

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 4:06 pm

OH I watched a replay of the ND-PITT game (don’t ask me why) over the weekend. When NBC went to the PITT offense for player introductions, Sir Tino gets a speaking role. And goes on to tell the whole world his hometown is Knoxville TN, WTF.
Then goes on to mention he went to the same HS as Dan Marino & Mark Bulger. But doesn’t mention the HS name (Central Catholic). So it was all about Tino and he must consider himself equal to that of Marino & Bulger. And he dissed Pittsburgh, as he was born in da Burg(according to Pitt’s own website), not bumf*ck TN. Unless there’s something we don’t know, lol.

And I will give credit, he is better this year than last year when he led the country in sacks (63).
And had more picks (11) than TD passes (10).

But is he much better than he was in 2010 ?
If we only go by stats, well then he is. But he couldn’t win a game in the 4rth Q in 2010 and hasn’t to this point in 2012. Still makes the most incredible boneheaded plays for a 5th year senior coaches son. And fumbles, can’t receive the snap from center at the most inopportune times.

So for me, I see the same mistakes he made in 2010, the same missed wide open TD passes, the same % completion ratio, the same non-escapability, the same nosedive sacks., etc, etc.

Just glad it’s all coming to an end and whatever happens in 2013 (and if something does go astray in 2013 that’s on PC for not playing anyone else this year) I can live with it.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 4:08 pm

Emel, my question to you is, Will the ABT Club continue to function in 2013 or will it dissolve before our very eyes next year just like the BE Conference is apparently on the verge of doing. And if I don’t pay my ABT dues in Jan do I get slapped with a $50,000,000 exit fee or not when I no longer attend the meetings? I need some answers

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.27.12 @ 4:16 pm

you make valid pt.s ,he will soon be in the rear view, why couldn’t enjoy the rutgers aaskicking,its sad.

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 4:16 pm

Who cares what Tino calls his hometown?

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t he move to Pittsburgh to live with his uncle just so he could finish out a couple of years at Central Catholic?

A bigger concern I have is for the “Fan-correctness” that seems to show its ugly head every time Tino has a good game.

These kids have been getting cheered and booed since they were in midget league – not that I think booing a ten-year-old is a good thing.

I think a 24-year-old like Tino can take it. In fact, my guess is he relishes it.

Based upon commments I’ve heard from some who know him, his ego is absolutely impenetrable.

Comment by PittofDreams 11.27.12 @ 4:23 pm

Cincy wants in the ACC bad…I hope not…it would just be more competition for Ohio players. OSU is bad enough…that and the fact that Cincy own us in FB.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by Jackagain 11.27.12 @ 4:25 pm

What’s the ABT club? I want to join I think.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 4:26 pm

Dare I suggest that the booing of a family member enhances on-field performance. Case in point: Tino’s mom is booed (allegedly…) and he responds with one of his best performances of the year. Bill Stull’s family was verbally abused at Sun Bowl, Stull comes back the next year and has one of the finest seasons a Pitt Quarterback has put together in recent memory. Sad but true?

Comment by Atlanta Panther 11.27.12 @ 4:28 pm

I like Cincy and Louisville as a packaged deal. Screw UConn. Let them be team #18 if it comes to that.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 4:31 pm

lol Dr. Tom

The ABT club dissolves on the day after his last game. Be it Beef, Compass, Liberty, Pinstripe or
USF.

You will only be fined for early exit if you leave before that time. :-)

P.S. meetings are optional after the USF game.
you know holiday shopping, holiday parties and whatnot !

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 4:32 pm

Anybody But Tino?

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.27.12 @ 4:37 pm

24 yrs old,…… yikes, I was 3 years out of PITT by that age, traveling around the country in the CATV business.

What a blast that job was, GF’s in every town and gone in 90-120 days !!

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 4:38 pm

Atlanta Panther….I’m now booing Paul Chryst’s mom…. ;-)

Comment by Jackagain 11.27.12 @ 4:38 pm

who else upittbaseball….lmao

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 4:39 pm

BTW….I’m a charter member of the ABT club….can’t wait to burn my membership card in January.

Comment by Jackagain 11.27.12 @ 4:40 pm

NAVY NAVY COME ON MAN.
why navy sure they are in maryland they play ok football and ND loves navy but but, They will never be able to play BB with the big boys and
do they even have any outher sport teams there do
they.
navy in the acc could this be real come on brothers what say you DAN could this happen should it?

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 4:57 pm

Read where to recoup MD & DC TV set losses, ACC might take a combination of Navy for football ONLY and Georgetown for basketball ONLY. To somewhat royally screw the Twerps.

This is starting to sound a lot like a conf. we all know and love, isn’t it.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 5:02 pm

If I’m John Swofford I would only take the Navy/Georgetown scenario if… Notre Dame agrees to come,

ALL IN: The Education of John Swofford.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 5:16 pm

EMel come on you dont really think the ACC would take a football only school?

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 5:21 pm

What kind of person boos a kid’s parents?
Disgraceful.

Tino’s career is over. The blog should focus
on the next game and recruiting.

Wonder how many of the bloggers who
bash Tino have ever played D-1 football?
The kid would have been better had Fraud
NOT been hired as coach and tried to make
him what he could never be.

Comment by JR 11.27.12 @ 5:30 pm

THATmight be it if we get navy ND will have to give us 6 games becuse they play navy every year

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 5:30 pm

Emel states that there are idiots in every crowd. Then how come a great majority make there way onto forums such as this? If Tino’s Mom was booed, either a lot or a little depending upon where you were sitting or if you were even at the game, certainly a classless act, then what part of that has been brought on by the continual bashing of one player as a “loser,” a “choker” who cost the University wins playing in a team game. Was it Tino who “choked” rather than the left guard, right tackle, or some other team player? Was it Tino again when time after time we see a receiver drop a ball that could and should have been caught? Maybe the receiver “choked” or perhaps he just dropped the ball.

Sunseri is soon to graduate and some young recruit will be anxious to take his place. Will he be bashed as a “choker” by the consistant haters, or will they broaden their fire to include the coaches, AD, or perhaps the bus driver who delivered the team to the stadium? Always look for the person who blames one individual on a team for a loss and would never give that same player credit even after a win.

As a Pitt fan for over 60 years I remain loyal and proud of the University regardless of wins or losses by any of the sports teams. Young men and their families playing in the spotlight surely have to develop some tough skin. The Sunseri family is well known to have done this. They, for sure, are proud of their son both athletically and academically. They served the community and the University well, despite the idiots who would take any and all credit from them.

Get those haters real names. They probably were the ones booing Tino’s Mom.

Comment by PENGUIN 11.27.12 @ 5:33 pm

i have to say PENGUIN isright it is ok to boo the player but never his mom
and not at that game not when you put in 4 or 5 years

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 5:54 pm

@ Penguin

Sorry bro, that wasn’t me who stated;

“that there are idiots in every crowd.”

IMO, if you pay the price of a ticket, you can do whatever you like. I don’t believe in censorship.

Idiocracy like beauty is in the eye of the beholder …..I suppose.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 5:57 pm

I heard Pitt’s recruiting this underclassman for QB…

link to youtube.com

Comment by Jackagain 11.27.12 @ 5:59 pm

Ya, actually, it was Tino who choked most of the time!! LOL

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:02 pm

lol Jackagain.

The size disparity among these kids is funny.

Did you happen to notice the size of the Center,
he’s huge compared to all the others. He must be as old as Sir Tino. :-)

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:04 pm

@FRANKCAN, to be honest, I’d much rather have NAVY for football than Louisville or UCONN.

Fantastic road trip!! Love Annapolis.

For what it’s worth, in the ACC v Maryland lawsuits, all remaining school presidents signed off on it, including FSU, Clemson and GT.

Bringing Louisville or UCONN does nothing but equal out the numbers. Neither will stave off any poaching of other schools.

Neither will NAVY, so all things being equal, I’d rather go to NAVY for a game.

Those rumors out there, see to be saying NAVY just for football.

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:08 pm

“Was it Tino again when time after time we see a receiver drop a ball that could and should have been caught? Maybe the receiver “choked” or perhaps he just dropped the ball.”

never blamed him for the drops. It was the overthrows, underthrows, throws 5 yards to the right, throws 5 yards to the left, throws in the ground, throws to nobody in particular and the killer/gamechanging/momentum killing blown throws to wide open receivers for TD’s. That’s all

Other than that he was just dandy !

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:08 pm

There is a shopping center in my area that has a Giant Supermarket on one end, and a large empty building on the other end. That building has been empty for years. It was the “Old” Giant Supermarket in the area. They continue to rent it, and leave it empty, because they don’t want another Supermarket chain to move into the space. For this reason, I favor the ACC taking Lville, Cincy, and UCONN now. Lock them in, and make their TV markets available to the new “ACC Network” before some other conference takes them in their move to the 16 team megaconference. Besides, the thought of a BB Conference with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UCONN, Lville and Pittsburgh in it is just plain fun to think about.

Comment by HbgFrank 11.27.12 @ 6:13 pm

Penguin gives it to the haters sorry email

Comment by paul shannon 11.27.12 @ 6:13 pm

Seinfeld marathon episode:

“you’re all winners!!!”

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:14 pm

@HbgFrank, ya, especially in Louisville’s case, the Big12 and them have been flirting for the past year or two.

I have no answers. I think what will be important is the outcome of the lawsuit.

Layers out there, does the ACC have a leg to stand on, or is it just gonna be watered down to 20M after all the back and forth??

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:17 pm

Layers out there!!! LOL Lawyers!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 6:20 pm

I agree with Dan-O I’d rather have a outstanding academic institute like Navy in the ACC plus Annapolis is always a great place to visit on a Road Trip.

Also I think it lessens the chance of ND coming ALL In if you take L-Ville and/or Cincy. I don’t believe I remember ND playing either one of them in football.

One of the thing saving ND from going to the Big 12 is their lack of academics which ND takes seriously. Adding a longtime foe of ND in Navy only would add to the pluses of joining the ACC for football. And they are a long time foe of PITT as well and BC.

And besides all that, it adds another team we have a better chance of beating. Always a consideration. lol

Navy can come in for football only and then you add Georgetown as a substitute for Navy in basketball. And you effectually cancel out any MD losses in either sport, esp. basketball and DC, Northern VA & MD recruiting.

@Dan-o think it’s more on the order of a preemptive strike on the part of the ACC. As far as the law suit.

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 6:29 pm

Dan i kind of understand abought the maryland
navy thing but if we bring in a football only team are we not turning into the big east.
i mean just abought any body would have made the same deal with ND that the ACC did.
but to do it ageian for navy and maryland.
i dont know would not u conn bring in just as many tv sets plus u conns basketball navy cant do that.
plus i dont see them geting us more money .
the only way to get more money is to go to 16 teams.

like the song what was i thinking that is what they will be saying.

it matains maryland but adds nothing not even BB.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 6:33 pm

EMel what you say would work and unlike juat navy would make the BB better but we still then cross over to the big east foot print more and more do we want to go down that road.
plus if we dont tak u conn and l ville now some else will then who do we take if we want to go to 16.
if we do it now there is a new tv contract why wait.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.27.12 @ 6:43 pm

I know we all have some angst going on here brothers, this from ESPN should make us ALL sleep more easy.

“With the exception obviously of Maryland, every single one of the ACC presidents unanimously agreed to this lawsuit – including North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Clemson … and any other school you want to add to the conference realignment rumor mill. You think the presidents would endorse this move if they were going to be the next to challenge it? Doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Not only were all 11 current ACC presidents in favor of it, but Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame also endorsed their support of the lawsuit, according to a league source. That sign of solidarity is a strong step towards reiterating future stability in the league, and it proves the conference believes its exit fee is non-negotiable. ACC officials believe it is a legally binding agreement, and they tend to use Maryland to prove it.”

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:10 pm

@FrankCan

I’m thinking the ACC, by adding a great academic institution and historically rich football tradition, like the Naval Academy, it’s saying we just won’t settle for just anyone. Which is very admirable and a conference that I and I’m sure most of our fellow brothers want to be affiliated with.

On the business end of things, it’s bring another yearly opponent of Notre Dame into the mix and could be a precursor of ND coming all in.

And if you get ND…ALL IN…..who cares if you have one team on a hybrid basis. That being Navy for football and some BigEast basketball school for basketball only (Georgetown, Nova or St. John’s).

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:18 pm

This also from ESPN: (and I think they’re league source would be A-1 since the most programming content of any sport on ESPN is provided by the ACC)

No invitations have been sent to other programs about joining the ACC, according to a league source.

“In order to replace a school, one first has to leave, and with a lawsuit pending, it might be even more difficult for Maryland to walk away than many had originally thought. ACC commissioner John Swofford has wished Maryland well in its pursuit of happiness in the Big Ten, but neither he nor any of the other university presidents are going to let Maryland leave the table without paying the bill first. “

Comment by Emel 11.27.12 @ 7:27 pm

folks-
We have been through two rounds of lawsuits regarding conference affiliation. In both case the departing schools (PITT included) have successful left. My guesss is that Maryland will leave but they will be 50M out of pocket. Not a big deal since the estimated 10 year increase in revenue from being in the Big Whatever is estimated to be 100M for Maryland.

Comment by PITT Fan in Atlanta 11.27.12 @ 8:00 pm

Let’s stop something in it’s tracks right now.
I, unlike many on this blog, actually attended the Rutgers game.
When Tino’s mom was introduced, the prevailing response was silence, as in if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say it.
I sit on the lower level so if one of the forty or so fans sitting in section 525 booed, I might not have heard it.
Of the audible sounds, polite applause was what I heard.
I am sure there were some boos, in a crowd comprised mostly of family and friends, one tends to stand out given the sparse crowd.
But to say she was booed is wrong. Don’t lay me in that group. I simply looked at her on the scoreboard in her hood and hoped she would get thru it.
And oh by the way, there were several recruits near me and they did not hear booing.

Comment by SFPitt 11.27.12 @ 8:22 pm

Here, Here, SFPITT!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are idiots everywhere. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, political affilitation and religious affiliation.

I wasn’t even gonna comment on this. Yes, in my section, if there were 500 people, ya, I heard 5 or 6 “boos”.

If there was 20-25k people there, ok, 100 or so, or a couple hundred booed.

Don’t make it out to be a Pitt thing either.

Crowds of 60-70-80k at pro games all over the country. Hockey games, any sport.

Someone gets injured from the other team, or sometimes even your own team, there are always some AH’s booing an injured player.

They’re called idiots, AH’s, jerks, whatever term you’d like. They’re everywhere.

%95 of the fans don’t do this, nor did about %95 of the fans boo Tino’s Mom.

Drop it!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:08 pm

I also would imagine everyone on here remains loyal to the University of Pittsburgh, regardless of wins or losses by it’s sports teams.

As a matter of fact, I’ve never seen anyone on here be disloyal.

I get a kick out some people read a comment or two, then lump your whole body of comments into one word or one thought.

And what is it with the word “hater” the past couple of years.

What exactly does that mean? You see it a lot in politics.

Hatred used to be a strong word. Now, it’s just a substitute word for meaning someone doesn’t agree with your opinion.

For example, how could I hate Tino Sunseri??? I’ve never met him. Never met any of the Sunseri family. I have no idea whether I’d like him or not.

Seems like a nice kid, nice family, I love PennMac!!!!

I have never said anything personally about him, and frankly, I have rarely if ever seen anyone on here say anything bad about him, as a person, as a son, as a brother, as an uncle or as a person in the community.

A lot of us don’t think he was a very good college quarterback. This is a Pitt’s sports blog, that’s what we’re gonna freakin’ talk about, Pitt sports.

And yes, I and many others have given him praise this year when he has had good games, and just a post or two ago, I said I was happy with Coach Chryst and Coach Bollinger and what they did to help Tino have a much better year this year, than his previoud two!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:22 pm

Hey, I learned something. My use of the phrase “here, here” did not look right.

Googled it. Actually, “here, here” does have almost double the amount of “hits” on the internet.

However, wikipedia says that “hear, hear” is the proper usage.

I thought something looked incorrect, allthough, seems like both are used.

So, Hear, Hear SFPITT!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 9:24 pm

If Maryland can’t leave, that means the offer to Rutgers is null and void. Couldn’t the ACC then invite Rutgers, Louisville and UConn or Cincy to the party? ND makes 18. Sorry Navy.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 9:49 pm

Boo…smoooo. Who cares. I think we all need a drink right now. Pitt hoops won tonight so I’ll down one right now. Looking forward to the Indiana and NC game tonight. Anybody But Me…for quarterback that is.

Comment by TX Panther 11.27.12 @ 9:55 pm

Saturday will be confusing. Watching Pitt FB on ESPN2 and Pitt BB on ESPN3 (computer) both at 7pm.

Comment by frank MD 11.27.12 @ 9:56 pm

Ok, TX Panther, I’ve been left home alone, so I’ll join you.

Think I’ll try out the scotch rocks my nephew sent me. Been in the freezer for several days!!!

Comment by Dan 11.27.12 @ 10:01 pm

Sorry if anyone posted this above, but it looks like the Pinstripe Bowl may be interested in a NYC backyard brawl:

link to triblive.com

Comment by Dan35 11.27.12 @ 11:00 pm

I was at the game sitting right in front of the parents. When Tino’s mother was announced in was tepid applause.

I was happy for her and Tino and proud of the fans. I am not saying that people did not boo in the upper sections, but at field level you could not hear it.

The fans also did not boo Tino when he fumbled on the 2 yard line. It was a good showing by the fans.

I never sit that low, but because I did I got to heckle smiling Steve for a while. Once I started more people in the section jumped in with me.

My wife made me stop.

Comment by kman 11.28.12 @ 9:35 am

An accurate passer will have a high completion rate.

An inaccurate passer will have some interceptions.

A very inaccurate passer will have almost no interceptions because even the defensive backs can’t get to the ball.

Comment by 66Goat 11.28.12 @ 12:53 pm

Sagarin computer ranking has Pitt BB at #13.
Nice but I think this team is still hopefully developing.

Comment by frank MD 11.28.12 @ 6:11 pm

@Dan
Heard, heard. Tough being the parent of an athlete.
You think football is bad, get yourself to a swim club where mothers with nothing better to do take control of everything.
They are the real A-holes.
Mrs. Sunseri has probably lived a life of catcalls and boos, cheers and everything in between.
She showed true class Saturday.

Comment by SFPitt 11.28.12 @ 9:32 pm

For those interested I ran a raw Bayesian statistical formula on Pitt’s recruiting class using 247 sports, ESPN, Rivals, and Scout. I found a few good things and a few bad. 1. We have currently only one unanimous 2 star recruit (carson baker) the rest 2.5 and above which isn’t terrible. 2. Rivals is low balling our class compared to the others by .2 stars. 3. Pitt’s aggregate star ranking is 2.8289. 4. Of the remaining kids who are considering Pitt, guys like Foster, Boyd, Moody, Officer and the like have an avg 3.2 star rating. I was bored and I just watched poll aggregates pick the election so I figured why not apply it to recruiting.

Comment by Beantown-Sean 11.29.12 @ 12:19 am