November 5, 2012

Why Tino? Why?

Filed under: Football,Players — Chas @ 3:48 pm

So many things to discuss, dissect, be optimistic, be fearful, be doubtful and otherwise post about from Saturday. I couldn’t even go near the computer yesterday. Still too raw. Too many emotions after that game.

So I waited. I didn’t even watch my recording of College GameDay Final until this morning.

And then there is Tino Sunseri.

“We missed a field goal. That’s why we lost the game,” Pitt quarterback Tino Sunseri said. “It came down to a special teams play, we didn’t make the play. Give credit to Notre Dame for being able to finish it off.”

Maybe he wasn’t simply throwing Kevin Harper under the bus. But it is unlikely. Especially when it was clear that everyone else thought that.

After talking with a university spokesman, Sunseri addressed the media again.

“A team has to be able to make the play. A team has to be able to finish a game off. A team has to work together to win a game,” he said. “It’s not one individual’s fault. It’s a team game. It’s a team loss today.”

Uhh…

William Shatner SNL skit Get A Life 1986-12-20 by efly2020

I’m picturing a Phil Hartman-William Shatner exchange (5:15 mark) Between Sunseri and E.J. Borghetti after Tino said that.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what Sunseri “meant” by that. He is absolutely the last person on the Pitt squad that should ever — EVER — even appear to be pissing on another player or coach.

This is the kid that has been the receptacle of blame for every Pitt loss in the last two-plus years. Some rightfully, some unfairly. He had a coach all of last year put all the blame on him. His teammates, though, have publicly had his back the entire time.

And he can’t do the same for his own teammates?

This is just more evidence that even three years later that nothing has changed between the ears.

For all the improvements this year. For being so, so much better and more consistent than he was the first two years. For finally appearing to get it. At that moment to reveal character. To fail to at least show comprehension of the moment. Tino Sunseri reverted back to type.

Scott you leave bossdraws alone he knows what he is talking abought.
no politc on this site.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.06.12 @ 12:41 am

The defense played to contain the ND QB in the pocket not to rush him. that was what kept them in this game. It was a great scheme. How Pitt’s line blocked a team that couldn’t be run on to the toon of 173 for Ray Graham was fantastic!!! That was great coaching and preperation by this whole staff. What a game. Nobody thought this Pitt team would ever be able to beat #3 ND and to come that close I tip my hat to all of them. H2P

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 11.06.12 @ 12:42 am

Has Tino Sunseri ever brought Pitt back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to win a game? Ever?

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.06.12 @ 1:06 am

tino sure did have the deer in the headlights look, i don’t know how his teammates continue to rally around him. he has absolutely zero leadership skills. and where did this “sir” thing come from that you all refer to him as?

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 1:55 am

Good leaders praise in public and criticize in private. The only reason to ever call someone out in public is if there is a problem with attitude or effort, and usually not even then. Very poor of Sunseri to kick Harper when he’s down.

Comment by Navy Panther 11.06.12 @ 2:42 am

As kids we dreamed of he opportunity that Tino had on saturday. Tied game, on the road, against a top 5 team, and in front of Touchdown Jesus. This is a moment where you should be grinning from ear to ear knowing the opportunity that is before you. Instead he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else, but in that stadium in the 4th quarter. I wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot. I predicted that this would be his breakout game where he would make that special play to win us the game, but once again he failed when it mattered most. I wish him the best in his future endeavors, but I can’t wait until he graduates and moves on.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 11.06.12 @ 2:55 am

bench his butt! he stinks and will be gone (THANKFULLY) next year anyways!

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 7:06 am

If he doesn’t come out and carve up uconn then it’s time to exit stage left santino. And by the way we all know Harper gagged but did anyone throw Peyton manning under the bus when he bashed mike vanderjacted after the playoff game vs the steelers in 2005??? Just saying……

Comment by John 11.06.12 @ 7:43 am

Tino, after graduation, is going to have the easiest move of any college kid in the history. There will be a line of people willing and ready to grab a box to help him get out of town.

This also shows how much people really hate todd graham, people sticking up for Tino over his fraudness

Comment by DCPinPGH 11.06.12 @ 7:49 am

One last political comment- VOTE TODAY

Comment by gc 11.06.12 @ 7:56 am

@ Dan, I couldn’t agree with you more. Even though you feel my “cry baby” reference towards whining posters was uncalled for, IMO if we loss Friday’s game for any reason and then make any reference to the letdown from the ND game then I’ll be slapping that label on this same team that I’ve defended from the fan cry babies up to this point.

It is Coach’s job to get them focused and ready to play on a short week. If this team has developed into the squad that I think that they are, I would not want to be in a UCONN uniform come Friday night.

There should be a locker room full of mean and ugly guys just waiting to wash out this bitter taste from their mouths and UCONN could be just the mouthwash to satisfy that desire.

Mason up Panthers, win out from here on in and look forward to a bowl game challenge as well.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 8:35 am

@ dish, I’d start going to church because your version of hell seems unbearable to me.

@ TonyinHouston, your question, “Has Tino Sunseri ever brought Pitt back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to win a game? Ever”? answer NO, NEVER, although he has had many an opportunity to do so. But remember, “he gives us the best chance to win”. Excuse me, I have to go vomit now.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 8:39 am

Tino is Tino, three maybe four more games and we can put this era behind us. Tino is our Anthony Morelli.

Comment by Coach Ditka 11.06.12 @ 8:55 am

Pittisit37—the “sir” reference to Tino comes from Brother Emel, duly (tongue in cheek)recognizing the commander of the Pitt football team. Or maybe knighting him. Emel can confirm. Thanks FRANKCAN, for having my back. Keep us posted on recruiting. Maybe the spirited effort at ND will help.

Comment by Bossdaws 11.06.12 @ 9:15 am

Tino will find a nice grad assist. job and who knows may be Pitt’s qb coach someday. Now that is a bad dream but may be a reality.

Also what is this he is saying he is from Knoxville, TN. He should say born in Knoxville moved to Pgh. to play HS fb because a place was waiting for me at Pitt to be a 3 year starter.

Comment by JP 11.06.12 @ 9:16 am

The very best thing about Pitt football in 2013 and thereafter? No matter HOW much he dazzles serial head coaches in practice, no matter HOW well he plays in Qtrs 1-3, Tino the Magnificent is gone Gone GONE!!

Sing it with me, true Pitt fans!! ? Ding, dong…?

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.06.12 @ 9:25 am

Chas, time for a new thread, we all know Tino is Tino. Time to move on. Beat UCONN!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 9:42 am

As c’mon… he did say “WE missed a FG”

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 11.06.12 @ 9:50 am

DR tom there were 2number 2s on the field and alot of number 2 on this blog .

Comment by paul shannon 11.06.12 @ 9:57 am

BOSSDAWS i would have had your back sooner and with more force and stronger words .
but was sick yesterday going to doc to day
was not on post mutch yesterday.
your frend frank.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.06.12 @ 9:57 am

@Dr. Tom, I’m kinda of pumped up again, by what one poster said.

I know a lot of things would have to happen, with the teams lined up in the correct slots, but,

a NYC bowl game, during the holidays, against WVU??? I’d love it.

And not just hot air, we’d really be going. We’ve talked about the Pinstripe Bowl since it started, so, we’d make a very long weekend trip out of it!!

Anyhow, that’s what I’m cheering for along with a good, strong finish!!!

Comment by Dan 11.06.12 @ 10:00 am

Breaking News…………. Pitt will allow Tino to enter a MBA Program and because of a NCAA rule he is allowed his 9th year of eligibility. Tino will be back next year. Chryst, stated just like this season the QB competition will be open competition, yeah right. If I’m Chryst, I bench him at least the first half. Make a point you lead by example and don’t throw kids under the bus. Do you guys think Bama would give us his brother if we gave them Tino and 1M. Tino make not make the team as a waterboy at Bama. Embarrassing……

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 10:09 am

All things considered that “Backyard Brawl” matchup would be a best case scenario for Pitt. And as far as marketing the Pinstripe Bowl to the general public, I think that it would sell well to the New York crowd.

But we are way, way ahead of ourselves on this one. Focus on the “controlables” as Coach says and just hammer out a win come Friday night is the first priority. Based on what Pitt showed against ND, to avoid the “same old Pitt” whine, we have to take care of business in a major way against UCONN.

I read a quote that I think is accurate out of the mouth of Ray Graham and that was that this team plays to the level of its competition. The Panthers need to find that “fire in the belly” that they played with against the Irish again, if so I think we’ll be just fine. Tough to put a finger on what team comes out of the tunnel from week to week though with this squad.

Time for the Senior leadership to use that ND game as a rally point to get the full potential out of this team for the remainder of the season. Once that’s taken care of, we can start discussion about bowl games.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 10:21 am

After Tino leaves… w’ll hear what the next excuses will be. We have had better QB’s in the past and still have never won the BIG east title outright.

The Game comes down to the Lines.. O and D… Chryst has to build those up.

When the O-Line blocks.. Tino actually looks half decent. When the O-Line fails.. Tino is not a QB that can make a play for his life. (Plus dropping a snap.. what the hell)

While the O-Line improvements need to happen… I hope the next QB can at least make a play, shoulder a game and win. The last qb that could put a game on his back was Palko.

Comment by Snala The Panther 11.06.12 @ 10:45 am

This Pitt team has gotten better as the year rolled on. Hope we keep the assistant coaches. Recruits are crucial.

National audience watched this one till the last unhappy minute.

Comment by Frank MD 11.06.12 @ 11:05 am

thanks FRANKCAN. Get healthy my friend.HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 11.06.12 @ 11:36 am

I feel your pain FRANKCAN I’ve been sick since about 7pm on Saturday evening also. But I’m shaking it off, on to UCONN. Feel better soon.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 11:46 am

Hope you’re feelin’ better FRANKCAN!!!!

Comment by Dan 11.06.12 @ 12:10 pm

May I pen a POSITIVE ord, just as a changeof pace? I wish to commend Sam Werner for his analsys by positions of last Saturday’s heartbreaker. Sam is turning out to be a breath of fresh air. Perhaps he could become a regular on the Pittsburgh sports staff?? Or does he lack ngativity? The South Bend “STEAL-away” is history mates, let us now focus on UCONN. Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 11.06.12 @ 12:14 pm

I’ll feel better after Pitt lays an ass whoopin on UConn. Let’s see how this team rebounds. I’m confident.

Comment by TX Panther 11.06.12 @ 12:16 pm

10-4 TX Panther, that the balm for what ails us.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 12:40 pm

The Tino run offense gets 0 points in their last 4 possessions in the 4th quarter. There’s all the need be said right there. I guess you can also toss in his 3 fumbled snaps from center in there too. I can’t believe how many times I heard the NBC color guy talk about Tino’s 5th year senior leadership. Made me want to vomit everytime I heard it. Tino has never performed well in big games or with the game on the line. He’s not respected by his teammates and probably not his coaches. Not that it matters much, but we know what Fraud Graham thought about him. And yesterday, PC vehemently disagreed with Tino’s assessment of why they lost the game. I bet PC can’t wait to get another QB starter going. Somebody on the radio mentioned a game a few years ago when Tino held onto the ball forever in the pocket, as he likes to do and ended up on his wallet. Pinkston saw him laying there and walked right past him without offering his hand to help him up. Hmmmm. I saw the kid play in HS and was not impressed back then and didn’t see what Pitt saw in him. He’s a freakin’ legacy. What a shame we’ve had to endure this terrible stretch with him at the QB helm. He might have a high QB rating and completion percentage, but when the chips are down and you need your QB to be your leader, don’t look toward #12. He fails every time in big situations. Every time. I hate to be down on a college kid, but he’s almost 24 years old now and should have shown maturity and leadership by now. What a waste.

Comment by Panther Pride 11.06.12 @ 12:50 pm

What does Pitt have to lose in playing a new QB? Chryst look at the following. 1. Tino never won a game coming from behind. 2. He has no respect from teammates and throws them under the bus. 3. He can’t complete a throw over 20 yards. 4. He’s a 5th year senior and still bad. 5. You NEED to get a underclass man some reps to see what they are capable of on the field. 6. It would give a instant spark to the team. 7. If anyone things playing in a shitty bowl is more important than getting a underclass man live game reps they are mistaken. Lastly, I think some of these kids may give Pitt a better chance than our 37 year old QB.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:04 pm

Given Tino’s comment on why Pitt lost, I would not be suprised if a few offensive linemen miss their blocks Friday evening. Tino could have won converts had he blamed Pitt’s loss on himself but Tino is Tino.

I am not in favor of burning a red shirt to replace Tino. Let Tino finish the season and move on.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.06.12 @ 1:09 pm

We need to win now. Red shirts are overrated. Play the best kid now. If Chryst doesn’t see it then he has no sense or spine. Just another puppet for Peterson. Who also needs canned. He’s a disaster.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:12 pm

put in trey Anderson. Lol (even though kind want it to happen(

Comment by Snala The Panther 11.06.12 @ 2:25 pm

I’d take trey over Tito

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 2:42 pm

I rarely comment on one player as football is a team sport. However the QB has probably cost Pitt at least one win per year since playing. That may not have gotten Pitt a much better bowl anyway.

Playing Trey at this point may not get Pitt the 2 wins needed to get a bowl. Chryst will probably just wait until spring to get a new QB.

Comment by Frank MD 11.06.12 @ 3:40 pm

the oline does miss afew on occasion so this should happen , how will we be able to tell if its intentional or routine mike

Comment by paul shannon 11.06.12 @ 3:52 pm

@ paul shannon — point well taken. I guess only the linemen will know. 😉

Comment by MariettaMike 11.06.12 @ 5:46 pm

Football is a team game. No one player wins or loses a game for his team, and although there are key plays in every game, pressure points, no one play or refs call should be blamed. People have been blaming Tino for three years for Pitt losses, ignoring the many other aspects of the team that have been out of sorts.

I doubt seriously that Tino’s comment about the missed field goal was intended to throw Harper under the bus. It was a quick, ill-advised reaction to a very disappointing ending to what would have been a major upset. The team, coaches, and yes, Tino himself all know what they could have done better, even just a tad, to bring home a Panther win, but it was not to be. They also know that you win as a team, and on this Saturday in particular, you lose as a team. Opportunities were there in every quarter of the game, but it was not to be. Frustrating for sure, even for the 3-year starter who has had the whole community on his back throughout his career.

We see it with the Steelers when they do poorly, with the Penguins when they fail in the playoffs, and most noticably with the Pirates. Pittsburghers like to zone in on one guy and make him the one responsible for team failure. Write down the names of the most critical Sunseri bashers, haters without a doubt, and await the 2013 season and beyond to find their next target. The coach? Quarterback? AD? Someone, some one guy, probably a young man between the age of 18 and 22 who will disappoint them to the extent that they will demonstrate their meanness in print when things go sour.

Losing to Notre Dame last Saturday was not the end of the world. Unless you are blinded by hatred, there is no doubt that you saw continued improvement in this Panther team. As a Pitt fan I’m a believer that the team and the program is headed in the right direction.

Comment by PENGUIN 11.06.12 @ 6:16 pm

I had a bad dream that I died and went to hell and Tino was the QB of the hell football team. The devil told me that Tino would be there forever and never be replaced. Now that is one hell of a bad dream!
Comment by dish 11.06.12 @ 12:33 am

LMAO. yes and the last 3 years have certainly been hell, as this team with a real D-1 QB would have had lots more W’s. Off the top of my head, 4 last year, where we lost 4 games by a TOTAL of 12 points and at least 2 this year, YSU of course and Syracuse of course. Would have won the Utah loss in OT as well had Bostick been the QB, imo.

So we would have been at least 9-4 in 2010 and 10-2 in 2011 and we would NOT have been playing in that sh*t bowl game in Birmingham.

HTP !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 8:39 pm

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 1:55 am

hey pittisit37. The “Sir” thing is from my sarcastic sense of humor. As apparently Sir Tino was knighted by someone at PITT and that this knighting of him meant nobody but him was apparently allowed to play QB at PITT while he was there. And as you know, the title of Sir goes along with being knighted, so therefore Sir Tino it is.

Veritas et Virtus !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 8:51 pm

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:04 pm

Good points Upitt. There is no logical reason with 5 losses now and 1-3 in the BigEast NOT to play someone else, ANYONE ELSE. The only reason is what I’ve been talking about for 3 seasons now.
A return trip to bumf*ck, alabama or where-ever for a 4rth rate bowl game, yes the BBVA Gyrocompass thing is a 4rth rate bowl as is the Pinstripe thing, that probably won’t even exist after Syracuse moves with us to the ACC. And who in the hell wants to watch us get beat by some C-USA team again with Sir Tino at the helm. I barely watched that garbage last year.

PC is pinning our hopes in 2013 ENTIRELY on a young man who will have not stepped onto the playing field in a real game for 3 years. Now, while I hope Savage plays lights out, it’s totally foolhardy by the HC, NOT to have one of his underclassmen ready WITH SOME GAME EXPERIENCE AND MAYBE A FEW WINS UNDER HIS BELT for next year!

For our big move and inaugural season in our new conference, the ACC.

You all (or some of you) say, well let’s wait to next year and so forth as PC is in his 1rst year. OK, well let’s PLAN for NEXT YEAR as WELL !!

GRP !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 9:11 pm

Great Post Emel!

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.07.12 @ 2:26 am

Paul Shannon — huh? Did you mix your cough medicine and your scotch? (not bad actually)

Penguin — when athletes play well, they get overly praised…and the opposite when they don’t …fighting human nature on that one I’m afraid. But you’re apparently missing what most people have easily picked up on these past long long long three years — its Tino’s attitude and character that grate on so many of us.

If he was just a regular kid who wasn’t very good, people wouldn’t display the vitriol they have — but he’s not, he’s clearly a d@uchebag. Plus he has benefitted from nepotism/favortism like no other athlete I can remember…these are the things that infuriate people, not that he’s average talent-wise. By the way, I never put Stull down character wise, and never thought he didn’t try, but its a real shame if people booed him at games…he deserved much better.

Comment by Matt N. 11.07.12 @ 4:32 pm