November 5, 2012

Why Tino? Why?

Filed under: Football,Players — Chas @ 3:48 pm

So many things to discuss, dissect, be optimistic, be fearful, be doubtful and otherwise post about from Saturday. I couldn’t even go near the computer yesterday. Still too raw. Too many emotions after that game.

So I waited. I didn’t even watch my recording of College GameDay Final until this morning.

And then there is Tino Sunseri.

“We missed a field goal. That’s why we lost the game,” Pitt quarterback Tino Sunseri said. “It came down to a special teams play, we didn’t make the play. Give credit to Notre Dame for being able to finish it off.”

Maybe he wasn’t simply throwing Kevin Harper under the bus. But it is unlikely. Especially when it was clear that everyone else thought that.

After talking with a university spokesman, Sunseri addressed the media again.

“A team has to be able to make the play. A team has to be able to finish a game off. A team has to work together to win a game,” he said. “It’s not one individual’s fault. It’s a team game. It’s a team loss today.”

Uhh…

William Shatner SNL skit Get A Life 1986-12-20 by efly2020

I’m picturing a Phil Hartman-William Shatner exchange (5:15 mark) Between Sunseri and E.J. Borghetti after Tino said that.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what Sunseri “meant” by that. He is absolutely the last person on the Pitt squad that should ever — EVER — even appear to be pissing on another player or coach.

This is the kid that has been the receptacle of blame for every Pitt loss in the last two-plus years. Some rightfully, some unfairly. He had a coach all of last year put all the blame on him. His teammates, though, have publicly had his back the entire time.

And he can’t do the same for his own teammates?

This is just more evidence that even three years later that nothing has changed between the ears.

For all the improvements this year. For being so, so much better and more consistent than he was the first two years. For finally appearing to get it. At that moment to reveal character. To fail to at least show comprehension of the moment. Tino Sunseri reverted back to type.

this is the most valid complaint following the game.

keep calm

hail to pitt

Comment by pittkeith 11.05.12 @ 3:56 pm

i was at the game, haven’t watched the replay yet but in general i have the same feelings towards tino that i do for president obama: i just want each of them to GO AWAY. i don’t want to see or hear from either of them again. one more day for a decision on obama: one more month of tino.

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 4:02 pm

they’re both obtuse and arrogant, lack any true leadership ability and woefully incompetent in executing their core responsibilities.

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 4:13 pm

And one is not surprised at all that a 5th year Senior starting QB was NOT voted as a Team Captain.

PITT should have won in regulation and that would have resolved everything. Including more questionable decisions by PC. As noted by Chris Dokish on his website.

As I’ve posted before this team will have a large weight removed from their collective necks after Sir Tino exhausts his eligibility…….finally !
(the last 3 years have seemed like a decade)

Comment by Emel 11.05.12 @ 4:17 pm

Emel,

completely agree..much like the bball team, addition by subtraction(Gibbs and Nas..but I still like Nas)

Comment by HLandPitt 11.05.12 @ 4:26 pm

more political comments on a sports blog? why don’t you go away Scott.

Comment by Bossdaws 11.05.12 @ 4:29 pm

I am a rare poster, but a compulsive reader of this blog. One of PC’s themes has been building the concept of team first. I know the QB alternatives on this team are slim and Chad’s redshirt should be protected. Regardless, Tino’s remarks are the antithesis of what PC is trying to build and deserving of an example setting benching.

Comment by shaef 11.05.12 @ 4:35 pm

wow, somehow someone found a way to tie this loss to Obama. How’d you do that? I’m not even mad, that’s amazing!

Comment by PantherP 11.05.12 @ 4:45 pm

i was at the game, could not believe he missed that. but what hurt worse was when i got a text saying there were 2 #2’s on the field. it should have been 1st down pitt ball. i dont think harper misses 2 from there.

Comment by mike 11.05.12 @ 4:58 pm

politics is nothin’, you can hardly even give your opinion on Pitt football anymore without someone takin’ your head off!!! LOL!!!

Comment by Dan 11.05.12 @ 5:00 pm

@ Dan… Yeah like the chick with the dreadlocks on “The Walking Dead” All you have to do is open your mouth! :( ): :( ):

Comment by CompLit 11.05.12 @ 5:10 pm

Let’s put things in perspective. As Beano Cook once said, Pitt should never be able to beat ND. They have 5 star athletes at nearly every position and the money to pay the best coaches. That said, Pitt does beat ND sometimes through a combination of good coaching, emotion, luck, and ND has to have letdowns once in a while.

When Kelly was at Cincinnati he had 5 QBs, each of whom were arguably better than any Pitt QB. Note that he replaced his QB in the most recent game when things weren’t going well. PC didn’t have that luxury.

Tino plays pretty well at the start of games, but chokes when the game is on the line. We all know that.

The only thing I’d fault PC for is some questionable time management at the end of the half and the game. Hopefully he will learn with more HC experience.

Comment by 66Goat 11.05.12 @ 5:11 pm

Tinos career is nearly finished and we can all move on.

Its not Kevin Harpers fault, its the Pitt curse. Gary Anderson would have missed the FG. How many games do we win on a last second play or field goal??…I know e sure have lost our fair share. Pitt is forever cursed until the Script returns.

Comment by Coach Ditka 11.05.12 @ 5:11 pm

bossdaws, this one’s for you:
link to deadspin.com

the reference to ‘internet moron’ seems particularly appropriate in your case.

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 5:14 pm

Yes, Tino sticks his foot in his mouth again, and I still don’t know why these schools let players talk to the press. They didn’t used to, and they shouldn’t now.

However, here’s the bottom line: (1) a Div-I kicker should be expected to be able to make a 30-yard FG from either hash every time, (2) a Div-I offense should be able to make first downs in the fourth quarter of a game, (3) a Div-I defense should have some kind of pass rush and not allow every team they play to complete pass after pass after pass for huge chunks of yardage all game long, and (4) a Div-I team should not have 4 or 5 bad snaps in a game. However, we saw all of those things on Saturday.

So, we can all continue to whine about whether or not Tino is a Div-I QB, but the fact is that we’ve lost this year because other parts of the team did not live up to those same expectations. You can’t put this one all on him, or on PC. Chryst went to the pass after the interception because at that point the run game was getting stuffed every play. If we run it, chances are we still give ND the ball back with 3 minutes to play, and with Pitt’s porous defense you knew they were going to score. So, please – the guy’s not stupid – he saw the writing on the wall and knew the only way to kill the clock was to put the ball in the air, try to make a few first downs, and maybe pick up 3 more points. If you think we were going to burn 3 or 4 minutes running the ball at that point, or had any chance of stopping ND on defense, then you weren’t watching the same game that I was.

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but our defensive schemes are terrible. We have no pass rush except on blitzes, and we get burnt play after play. What we do have is some talented players who have been able to make great plays to save the day. All of our big stops this year have been amazing individual efforts or mistakes by the other team – the rest of the time we’ve been torched. So, I don’t have much faith in this DC, and I’d like to see someone else next year. At this point, I think we’d be better off with Cliff Huxtable running the defense.

Comment by Steve 11.05.12 @ 5:14 pm

Ironically, his first start against Utah and pleading with Wannstedt to “Put the game on my back!”

To date, Tino still hasn’t shown the ability to carry a team to victory.

But his impenetrable ego allows him to throw his kicker under the bus for failing to bring home a win.

No wonder we’re 4 and 5!

Comment by PittofDreams 11.05.12 @ 5:18 pm

Ditka, amen. let’s move on.

With the QB’s we have coming in, burn the redshirt and put Voytik in now so we can see what he has. All we need him to do is not fumble snaps, hand the ball off, and make a few 5-10 yd throws. ABT!

Comment by pittfan92 11.05.12 @ 5:35 pm

These comments come from the kid who had the proverbial ‘deer in headlights’ look when it became winning time. A winner and leader you certainly are not Mr. Sunseri.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 11.05.12 @ 5:35 pm

Tino will forever be a dick. The main reason the kick was missed was because the snap was bad and the kicker had to stop and then restart to wait on the hold. Of course PC should have lined it up in the middle of the hashes, these aren’t nfl kickers.

Comment by Howard 11.05.12 @ 5:38 pm

I stated my opinion that Tino cost us the game earlier and got my head taken off. First, on the FG, the snap was very high and it threw off the kicker’s timing.Still he HAS to make it.

What bothers me most about Tino is that when the pressure is on and the team is looking for a leader, he just doesn’t disappear, his hands shake, he gets the deer in the headlights look, he makes ridiculous decisions, and that gives the Pitt players no confidence and ND confidence to pin their ears back.

Again, I say that after ND scored their second TD, Tino in the next 6 plays, fumbled the snap from center Thrice, threw what should have been a pick on a middle screen and called the wrong snap count on the fifth play and had to fall on the ball on a muffed handoff on the 6th. You can look it up.

Whatever is problem, he needs some help. I suggested earlier a sports psychologist because if he goes into business (he will NOT be playing on Sundays!) he will lose far more than a game if he folds under pressure.

This in no way is a personal attack on Tino. Just a 3 year observation.

Pitt played their asses off. For those of you who can remember, if Dave Havern would have been at QB, Pitt would have won in regulation. Give me a player who maybe lacks in ability/size but makes it up in pure guts and leadership any day.

I have ordered a special glass of 50 year old scotch to celebrate his graduation. Never has one player aggravated so many!

Comment by Dan 72 11.05.12 @ 5:40 pm

Pittmmade me proud. How many of you thought it would be a blowout? Pitt lacks depth as we know. Terrible pass interference call, unable to move the ball late in the game, high
snap of the missed FG, and two players with number 2 on the field. I respect Tino however an anxious to see another QB with a competitive backup next year.

Here’s hoping we will win the next 3 games and go to a bowl game anywhere but Birmingham. The next 3 games will tell us alot about PC.

Comment by JR 11.05.12 @ 5:47 pm

Scott, Scott..now now…no need to get into name calling when we should all be loyal Pitt fans on here with zero regard to one’s political or religious affilitations. I will not engage in blogger balls with someone named Scott—like the toilet paper I wipe my ass with. Rather than “roll on” with this nasty exchange,lets just return to blogging Pitt football and leave politics and insults out of it.

I, like you, thought Tino’s comments were inappropriate and worthy of blather commenting, unlike insulting the POTUS. We are both Panther fans, so lets move on.

Comment by Bossdaws 11.05.12 @ 6:00 pm

I don’t have a problem interjecting politics into sports. My problem is interjecting sports into politics, namely supporting a party like they are your sports team. Rather than looking at the candidates and issues dispassionately, logically, people want “their” team to win, even if it doesn’t make sense. There have been some really bad leaders on both sides over the years.

Comment by 66Goat 11.05.12 @ 6:05 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to the Steelers for taking away some of the sting out of the weekend.

Hail to Pitt! Put it behind you and beat UConn! A “BackYard” Pinstripe Bowl is still possible.

I, too, won’t be sad to see the end of Tino as a Panther, however

Comment by BATR 11.05.12 @ 6:15 pm

upon further review, I apologize to any other Scotts out there for the TP reference. I see & hear too much political BS on TV these days. I come on here to escape and rant Panther sports. Enuf.

Comment by Bossdaws 11.05.12 @ 6:16 pm

“Other than ND, I have never seen another college program that year after year, fails in the kicking game. It has been a curse all the way back to Carson Long (and wide). ”

Don’t look now but we have a kid headed to PITT next year to kick FG’s named Blewitt. And people don’t think God has a dark sense of humor ! lol
Oy Vey !

P.S. Btw Sal doesn’t have anymore sons does he ?

Comment by Emel 11.05.12 @ 6:19 pm

Oh Tino…just when some fans were going to give you the benefit of the doubt, you go and do this.

The question now is: will Heinz Field erupt in BOOs when Tino is announced on Senior Day, or will Heinz Field erupt in applause because we will all know that the tortuous Panther Nation tragedy of Tino as a 3 year starter is finally coming to a long overdue end?

Comment by ECH 11.05.12 @ 6:22 pm

Comment by Dan 72 11.05.12 @ 5:40 pm

LMAO

Sir Tino graduated like 2 years ago, he just hangs around to aggravate us, didn’t u know ! :-)

Comment by Emel 11.05.12 @ 6:23 pm

Comment by Dan 72 11.05.12 @ 5:40 pm

LMAO

Comment by Emel 11.05.12 @ 6:23 pm

Chas and Reed say this all the time…no politics on this site please! No one is more passionate about my side but as my minister said yesterday in church, “keep in mind that on Wednesday, half of the population of the USA will be very unhappy!”

Comment by Dan 72 11.05.12 @ 6:41 pm

@ Dan, Dave fu@king Havern??? Christ Dan, you are an old fart, no insult intended, I remember Havern too. Beat Navy!:)

I personally can’t wait to see Tino in the pros because as far as Pitt football goes, I’ve seen totally too much Tino time!

And if we’re going to get political, then I vote for Voytek!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.05.12 @ 6:45 pm

And while I’m at it Chas, what happened to those hot girl on the right column ads?? I’m getting tired of seeing the black woman with the big head? LOL

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.05.12 @ 6:47 pm

Dr. Tom…. lmao

it’s those little things that keeps you coming back to this site… “hot chick”..

Comment by Joe D 11.05.12 @ 7:21 pm

Hey Paul Shannon….hello, hello? Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Comment by Matt N. 11.05.12 @ 7:35 pm

Tino still the lightning rod, but he was wrong to say that. Chryst disagreed entirely on the message and said he would speak to Tino.
I give Tino some slack because the comment was made right after the game. But not much slack. Tino should know better and I doubt Harper called out others who might have performed better.
Move onto the next game and get better. Some of us grow up faster than others. Football players are no exception.
If it helps, I accept all blame for the loss.
It’s on me!

Comment by SFPitt 11.05.12 @ 7:40 pm

@ Joe D, I retract my previous opinion, you don’t suck so bad after all, based on your most recent LMAO.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.05.12 @ 7:45 pm

just finished watching the first half. might not have changed the outcome, but damn when pitt went for it on 4th and 2 at end of first half, they had that run blocked. ray made the wrong read. if he cuts outside the tackle instead of back inside, he’s still running.

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 8:34 pm

oh man. couldn’t see this at the game, no jumbotron, no instant replay at ND stadium. 2nd and goal at end of 3rd qrt. that pass hits holtz right in the hands. damn!

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 9:11 pm

matt, matt, matt, u are on point , lets boo him out of the game on senior day , burn votek’s redshirt, lets show our recruits and fans we are family,lets play dankesschon instead of sweet caroline, we need to have a beer,as mark twain said ‘get ur facts first ,then distort them as much as u please.Price check isle 3

Comment by paul shannon 11.05.12 @ 9:19 pm

Scott– I thought Doakes made the wrong block on that 4th down play too. Went to double the lineman instead of going next level to the LB — who made the stop.

Comment by JW 11.05.12 @ 9:45 pm

Poor and disappointing comments from Tino, exactly the opposite from one of my all time favorites Tyler Palko. Looks like their play isn’t the only difference between them.

Comment by John 11.05.12 @ 10:06 pm

Amber Light special in aisle 5!!!!!

Blue Light specials disingenuous little cousin!!!

Comment by Dan 11.05.12 @ 10:15 pm

last point after watching the replay. yes the snap on harper’s miss was high, but most of the snaps thru out the game on fgs and xtra pts were high. harper has to make that kick. fuck. oh well. pitt had so many chances to make plays to win that game. just didn’t get it done. move on. take care of uconn, rutgers and usf. go win a bowl game.

Comment by scott 11.05.12 @ 10:50 pm

Tino pulled a “Sunseri” again. Even when he’s been able to deflect most criticism this year, he still finds a way to pull a “Sunseri”.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 11.05.12 @ 11:11 pm

Scott and JW – if you watch the replay again – you can see PC asking the team if they can make the 1st down – they are jumping up and down, and and Scott mentioned big hole to the left – RG cut the wrong. If he had cut left – PC would be called a genius – he did not so his play calling gets questioned. Look at Tomlin going for the fake, even Les Miles gets questioned…if one has ever coached (I coached ice hockey for 15 years at the AAA level), decision making isn’t as easy as it seems;-)

Comment by markp 11.05.12 @ 11:29 pm

Why not let Tino be the lowng snapper next game. Oh, I forgot that is too long a distance for him.

Comment by Jimbo 11.05.12 @ 11:38 pm

okay, I will bash him even though I have showed restraint for years. So here goes. When Tino arrived at Pitt, he was 5′ 10″. When he leaves, he will be 5’10”. He never put the team on his shoulders or his back. Had he carried the team, he would be 5’6″ by now.

His comment was bull loney. It is amazing that all the other players could have negatively ranted about him after nearly every loss in his career. But they didn’t. But give tino an opportunity to put the blame on someone other than he, and poof.

Did anyone notice at a key point in the game and while he was still within the tackles, he threw a pass directly into the ground? Luckily ray graham was close and that is what Pitt argued. Fortunately, we didn’t get another grounding and loss of down. My point is that he still hasn’t learned. You are not allowed to throw the ball directly south which is what he did. Lucky that another grounding wasn’t called at a critical point in the game.

If I am Paul Chryst, Trey Anderson gets the start because an alleged leader cannot do that to his teammate…ever! By allowing Tino to start, coach Chryst risks losing his team for the rest of this year and into next. Ok, so I really didn’t bash him, just stated the facts.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 11.05.12 @ 11:42 pm

Last 3 game stretch huge.

I’m behind HCPC, especially in his first year.

These next three games will tell me a lot about where we are headed.

How in the world do you get these guys fired up for a Friday night game, against Connecticut, after the groin shot that was the Notre Dame game???

I have no idea, but it is HCPC and his staff’s job to do it.

Do we sink to 4-8, and go to talks of a 3 star committ in February, or do we look back and say, “what a finish”, 7-5 and a bowl game and talk excitedly of some good recruits and starting in the ACC next year.

Big 3 games. Big 4 nights before Friday’s game.

Don’t want to hear the “well, what would you expect after the ND game” crap Saturday morning.

I want to see and hear all of us saying, “great game”, “way to get the kids heads into it”, “great rebound”.

UCONN has lost 4 straight, and more to the point, have looked like a high school team doing it.

No excuses for a loss to this team. None.

Comment by Dan 11.06.12 @ 12:04 am

What a kick in the nuts:

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly admitted the Irish had two players on the field — cornerback Bennett Jackson and wide receiver Chris Brown — wearing the same jersey number (2) during Kevin Harper’s missed field-goal attempt in the second overtime Saturday. If the officials had noticed, a penalty would have been called and Pitt would have had a first down and a chance to kick again. “It was a coaching mistake,” Kelly said. “We’ve got to do a better job. It’s an oversight that can’t happen.” Chryst said the play will be reported to the Big East as part of Pitt’s weekly routine. “They’ll respond,” he said. “They have been good about that.” Pitt was penalized last season in the Rutgers game when No. 5s Cam Saddler and Ejuan Price were on the field together

Read more: link to triblive.com
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Comment by Dan35 11.06.12 @ 12:23 am

I had a bad dream that I died and went to hell and Tino was the QB of the hell football team. The devil told me that Tino would be there forever and never be replaced. Now that is one hell of a bad dream!

At least the two most likely QBs candidates next year (Savage and Chad V) seem to be good leaders on and off the field and know what to say and not to say to the media. If I was coach, I’d bench Tino for those BS comments. Although, if I were coach, Tino would never had started this year and we’d have at least 5 wins.

Comment by dish 11.06.12 @ 12:33 am

Scott you leave bossdraws alone he knows what he is talking abought.
no politc on this site.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.06.12 @ 12:41 am

The defense played to contain the ND QB in the pocket not to rush him. that was what kept them in this game. It was a great scheme. How Pitt’s line blocked a team that couldn’t be run on to the toon of 173 for Ray Graham was fantastic!!! That was great coaching and preperation by this whole staff. What a game. Nobody thought this Pitt team would ever be able to beat #3 ND and to come that close I tip my hat to all of them. H2P

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 11.06.12 @ 12:42 am

Has Tino Sunseri ever brought Pitt back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to win a game? Ever?

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.06.12 @ 1:06 am

tino sure did have the deer in the headlights look, i don’t know how his teammates continue to rally around him. he has absolutely zero leadership skills. and where did this “sir” thing come from that you all refer to him as?

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 1:55 am

Good leaders praise in public and criticize in private. The only reason to ever call someone out in public is if there is a problem with attitude or effort, and usually not even then. Very poor of Sunseri to kick Harper when he’s down.

Comment by Navy Panther 11.06.12 @ 2:42 am

As kids we dreamed of he opportunity that Tino had on saturday. Tied game, on the road, against a top 5 team, and in front of Touchdown Jesus. This is a moment where you should be grinning from ear to ear knowing the opportunity that is before you. Instead he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else, but in that stadium in the 4th quarter. I wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot. I predicted that this would be his breakout game where he would make that special play to win us the game, but once again he failed when it mattered most. I wish him the best in his future endeavors, but I can’t wait until he graduates and moves on.

Comment by Vulcan Rob 11.06.12 @ 2:55 am

bench his butt! he stinks and will be gone (THANKFULLY) next year anyways!

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 7:06 am

If he doesn’t come out and carve up uconn then it’s time to exit stage left santino. And by the way we all know Harper gagged but did anyone throw Peyton manning under the bus when he bashed mike vanderjacted after the playoff game vs the steelers in 2005??? Just saying……

Comment by John 11.06.12 @ 7:43 am

Tino, after graduation, is going to have the easiest move of any college kid in the history. There will be a line of people willing and ready to grab a box to help him get out of town.

This also shows how much people really hate todd graham, people sticking up for Tino over his fraudness

Comment by DCPinPGH 11.06.12 @ 7:49 am

One last political comment- VOTE TODAY

Comment by gc 11.06.12 @ 7:56 am

@ Dan, I couldn’t agree with you more. Even though you feel my “cry baby” reference towards whining posters was uncalled for, IMO if we loss Friday’s game for any reason and then make any reference to the letdown from the ND game then I’ll be slapping that label on this same team that I’ve defended from the fan cry babies up to this point.

It is Coach’s job to get them focused and ready to play on a short week. If this team has developed into the squad that I think that they are, I would not want to be in a UCONN uniform come Friday night.

There should be a locker room full of mean and ugly guys just waiting to wash out this bitter taste from their mouths and UCONN could be just the mouthwash to satisfy that desire.

Mason up Panthers, win out from here on in and look forward to a bowl game challenge as well.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 8:35 am

@ dish, I’d start going to church because your version of hell seems unbearable to me.

@ TonyinHouston, your question, “Has Tino Sunseri ever brought Pitt back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to win a game? Ever”? answer NO, NEVER, although he has had many an opportunity to do so. But remember, “he gives us the best chance to win”. Excuse me, I have to go vomit now.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 8:39 am

Tino is Tino, three maybe four more games and we can put this era behind us. Tino is our Anthony Morelli.

Comment by Coach Ditka 11.06.12 @ 8:55 am

Pittisit37—the “sir” reference to Tino comes from Brother Emel, duly (tongue in cheek)recognizing the commander of the Pitt football team. Or maybe knighting him. Emel can confirm. Thanks FRANKCAN, for having my back. Keep us posted on recruiting. Maybe the spirited effort at ND will help.

Comment by Bossdaws 11.06.12 @ 9:15 am

Tino will find a nice grad assist. job and who knows may be Pitt’s qb coach someday. Now that is a bad dream but may be a reality.

Also what is this he is saying he is from Knoxville, TN. He should say born in Knoxville moved to Pgh. to play HS fb because a place was waiting for me at Pitt to be a 3 year starter.

Comment by JP 11.06.12 @ 9:16 am

The very best thing about Pitt football in 2013 and thereafter? No matter HOW much he dazzles serial head coaches in practice, no matter HOW well he plays in Qtrs 1-3, Tino the Magnificent is gone Gone GONE!!

Sing it with me, true Pitt fans!! ? Ding, dong…?

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 11.06.12 @ 9:25 am

Chas, time for a new thread, we all know Tino is Tino. Time to move on. Beat UCONN!

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 9:42 am

As c’mon… he did say “WE missed a FG”

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 11.06.12 @ 9:50 am

DR tom there were 2number 2s on the field and alot of number 2 on this blog .

Comment by paul shannon 11.06.12 @ 9:57 am

BOSSDAWS i would have had your back sooner and with more force and stronger words .
but was sick yesterday going to doc to day
was not on post mutch yesterday.
your frend frank.

Comment by FRANKCAN 11.06.12 @ 9:57 am

@Dr. Tom, I’m kinda of pumped up again, by what one poster said.

I know a lot of things would have to happen, with the teams lined up in the correct slots, but,

a NYC bowl game, during the holidays, against WVU??? I’d love it.

And not just hot air, we’d really be going. We’ve talked about the Pinstripe Bowl since it started, so, we’d make a very long weekend trip out of it!!

Anyhow, that’s what I’m cheering for along with a good, strong finish!!!

Comment by Dan 11.06.12 @ 10:00 am

Breaking News…………. Pitt will allow Tino to enter a MBA Program and because of a NCAA rule he is allowed his 9th year of eligibility. Tino will be back next year. Chryst, stated just like this season the QB competition will be open competition, yeah right. If I’m Chryst, I bench him at least the first half. Make a point you lead by example and don’t throw kids under the bus. Do you guys think Bama would give us his brother if we gave them Tino and 1M. Tino make not make the team as a waterboy at Bama. Embarrassing……

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 10:09 am

All things considered that “Backyard Brawl” matchup would be a best case scenario for Pitt. And as far as marketing the Pinstripe Bowl to the general public, I think that it would sell well to the New York crowd.

But we are way, way ahead of ourselves on this one. Focus on the “controlables” as Coach says and just hammer out a win come Friday night is the first priority. Based on what Pitt showed against ND, to avoid the “same old Pitt” whine, we have to take care of business in a major way against UCONN.

I read a quote that I think is accurate out of the mouth of Ray Graham and that was that this team plays to the level of its competition. The Panthers need to find that “fire in the belly” that they played with against the Irish again, if so I think we’ll be just fine. Tough to put a finger on what team comes out of the tunnel from week to week though with this squad.

Time for the Senior leadership to use that ND game as a rally point to get the full potential out of this team for the remainder of the season. Once that’s taken care of, we can start discussion about bowl games.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 10:21 am

After Tino leaves… w’ll hear what the next excuses will be. We have had better QB’s in the past and still have never won the BIG east title outright.

The Game comes down to the Lines.. O and D… Chryst has to build those up.

When the O-Line blocks.. Tino actually looks half decent. When the O-Line fails.. Tino is not a QB that can make a play for his life. (Plus dropping a snap.. what the hell)

While the O-Line improvements need to happen… I hope the next QB can at least make a play, shoulder a game and win. The last qb that could put a game on his back was Palko.

Comment by Snala The Panther 11.06.12 @ 10:45 am

This Pitt team has gotten better as the year rolled on. Hope we keep the assistant coaches. Recruits are crucial.

National audience watched this one till the last unhappy minute.

Comment by Frank MD 11.06.12 @ 11:05 am

thanks FRANKCAN. Get healthy my friend.HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 11.06.12 @ 11:36 am

I feel your pain FRANKCAN I’ve been sick since about 7pm on Saturday evening also. But I’m shaking it off, on to UCONN. Feel better soon.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 11:46 am

Hope you’re feelin’ better FRANKCAN!!!!

Comment by Dan 11.06.12 @ 12:10 pm

May I pen a POSITIVE ord, just as a changeof pace? I wish to commend Sam Werner for his analsys by positions of last Saturday’s heartbreaker. Sam is turning out to be a breath of fresh air. Perhaps he could become a regular on the Pittsburgh sports staff?? Or does he lack ngativity? The South Bend “STEAL-away” is history mates, let us now focus on UCONN. Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 11.06.12 @ 12:14 pm

I’ll feel better after Pitt lays an ass whoopin on UConn. Let’s see how this team rebounds. I’m confident.

Comment by TX Panther 11.06.12 @ 12:16 pm

10-4 TX Panther, that the balm for what ails us.

Comment by Dr. Tom 11.06.12 @ 12:40 pm

The Tino run offense gets 0 points in their last 4 possessions in the 4th quarter. There’s all the need be said right there. I guess you can also toss in his 3 fumbled snaps from center in there too. I can’t believe how many times I heard the NBC color guy talk about Tino’s 5th year senior leadership. Made me want to vomit everytime I heard it. Tino has never performed well in big games or with the game on the line. He’s not respected by his teammates and probably not his coaches. Not that it matters much, but we know what Fraud Graham thought about him. And yesterday, PC vehemently disagreed with Tino’s assessment of why they lost the game. I bet PC can’t wait to get another QB starter going. Somebody on the radio mentioned a game a few years ago when Tino held onto the ball forever in the pocket, as he likes to do and ended up on his wallet. Pinkston saw him laying there and walked right past him without offering his hand to help him up. Hmmmm. I saw the kid play in HS and was not impressed back then and didn’t see what Pitt saw in him. He’s a freakin’ legacy. What a shame we’ve had to endure this terrible stretch with him at the QB helm. He might have a high QB rating and completion percentage, but when the chips are down and you need your QB to be your leader, don’t look toward #12. He fails every time in big situations. Every time. I hate to be down on a college kid, but he’s almost 24 years old now and should have shown maturity and leadership by now. What a waste.

Comment by Panther Pride 11.06.12 @ 12:50 pm

What does Pitt have to lose in playing a new QB? Chryst look at the following. 1. Tino never won a game coming from behind. 2. He has no respect from teammates and throws them under the bus. 3. He can’t complete a throw over 20 yards. 4. He’s a 5th year senior and still bad. 5. You NEED to get a underclass man some reps to see what they are capable of on the field. 6. It would give a instant spark to the team. 7. If anyone things playing in a shitty bowl is more important than getting a underclass man live game reps they are mistaken. Lastly, I think some of these kids may give Pitt a better chance than our 37 year old QB.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:04 pm

Given Tino’s comment on why Pitt lost, I would not be suprised if a few offensive linemen miss their blocks Friday evening. Tino could have won converts had he blamed Pitt’s loss on himself but Tino is Tino.

I am not in favor of burning a red shirt to replace Tino. Let Tino finish the season and move on.

Comment by MariettaMike 11.06.12 @ 1:09 pm

We need to win now. Red shirts are overrated. Play the best kid now. If Chryst doesn’t see it then he has no sense or spine. Just another puppet for Peterson. Who also needs canned. He’s a disaster.

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:12 pm

put in trey Anderson. Lol (even though kind want it to happen(

Comment by Snala The Panther 11.06.12 @ 2:25 pm

I’d take trey over Tito

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 2:42 pm

I rarely comment on one player as football is a team sport. However the QB has probably cost Pitt at least one win per year since playing. That may not have gotten Pitt a much better bowl anyway.

Playing Trey at this point may not get Pitt the 2 wins needed to get a bowl. Chryst will probably just wait until spring to get a new QB.

Comment by Frank MD 11.06.12 @ 3:40 pm

the oline does miss afew on occasion so this should happen , how will we be able to tell if its intentional or routine mike

Comment by paul shannon 11.06.12 @ 3:52 pm

@ paul shannon — point well taken. I guess only the linemen will know. ;)

Comment by MariettaMike 11.06.12 @ 5:46 pm

Football is a team game. No one player wins or loses a game for his team, and although there are key plays in every game, pressure points, no one play or refs call should be blamed. People have been blaming Tino for three years for Pitt losses, ignoring the many other aspects of the team that have been out of sorts.

I doubt seriously that Tino’s comment about the missed field goal was intended to throw Harper under the bus. It was a quick, ill-advised reaction to a very disappointing ending to what would have been a major upset. The team, coaches, and yes, Tino himself all know what they could have done better, even just a tad, to bring home a Panther win, but it was not to be. They also know that you win as a team, and on this Saturday in particular, you lose as a team. Opportunities were there in every quarter of the game, but it was not to be. Frustrating for sure, even for the 3-year starter who has had the whole community on his back throughout his career.

We see it with the Steelers when they do poorly, with the Penguins when they fail in the playoffs, and most noticably with the Pirates. Pittsburghers like to zone in on one guy and make him the one responsible for team failure. Write down the names of the most critical Sunseri bashers, haters without a doubt, and await the 2013 season and beyond to find their next target. The coach? Quarterback? AD? Someone, some one guy, probably a young man between the age of 18 and 22 who will disappoint them to the extent that they will demonstrate their meanness in print when things go sour.

Losing to Notre Dame last Saturday was not the end of the world. Unless you are blinded by hatred, there is no doubt that you saw continued improvement in this Panther team. As a Pitt fan I’m a believer that the team and the program is headed in the right direction.

Comment by PENGUIN 11.06.12 @ 6:16 pm

Comment by dish 11.06.12 @ 12:33 am

LMAO. yes and the last 3 years have certainly been hell, as this team with a real D-1 QB would have had lots more W’s. Off the top of my head, 4 last year, where we lost 4 games by a TOTAL of 12 points and at least 2 this year, YSU of course and Syracuse of course. Would have won the Utah loss in OT as well had Bostick been the QB, imo.

So we would have been at least 9-4 in 2010 and 10-2 in 2011 and we would NOT have been playing in that sh*t bowl game in Birmingham.

HTP !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 8:39 pm

Comment by pittisit37 11.06.12 @ 1:55 am

hey pittisit37. The “Sir” thing is from my sarcastic sense of humor. As apparently Sir Tino was knighted by someone at PITT and that this knighting of him meant nobody but him was apparently allowed to play QB at PITT while he was there. And as you know, the title of Sir goes along with being knighted, so therefore Sir Tino it is.

Veritas et Virtus !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 8:51 pm

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.06.12 @ 1:04 pm

Good points Upitt. There is no logical reason with 5 losses now and 1-3 in the BigEast NOT to play someone else, ANYONE ELSE. The only reason is what I’ve been talking about for 3 seasons now.
A return trip to bumf*ck, alabama or where-ever for a 4rth rate bowl game, yes the BBVA Gyrocompass thing is a 4rth rate bowl as is the Pinstripe thing, that probably won’t even exist after Syracuse moves with us to the ACC. And who in the hell wants to watch us get beat by some C-USA team again with Sir Tino at the helm. I barely watched that garbage last year.

PC is pinning our hopes in 2013 ENTIRELY on a young man who will have not stepped onto the playing field in a real game for 3 years. Now, while I hope Savage plays lights out, it’s totally foolhardy by the HC, NOT to have one of his underclassmen ready WITH SOME GAME EXPERIENCE AND MAYBE A FEW WINS UNDER HIS BELT for next year!

For our big move and inaugural season in our new conference, the ACC.

You all (or some of you) say, well let’s wait to next year and so forth as PC is in his 1rst year. OK, well let’s PLAN for NEXT YEAR as WELL !!

GRP !

Comment by Emel 11.06.12 @ 9:11 pm

Great Post Emel!

Comment by Upittbaseball 11.07.12 @ 2:26 am

Paul Shannon — huh? Did you mix your cough medicine and your scotch? (not bad actually)

Penguin — when athletes play well, they get overly praised…and the opposite when they don’t …fighting human nature on that one I’m afraid. But you’re apparently missing what most people have easily picked up on these past long long long three years — its Tino’s attitude and character that grate on so many of us.

If he was just a regular kid who wasn’t very good, people wouldn’t display the vitriol they have — but he’s not, he’s clearly a d@uchebag. Plus he has benefitted from nepotism/favortism like no other athlete I can remember…these are the things that infuriate people, not that he’s average talent-wise. By the way, I never put Stull down character wise, and never thought he didn’t try, but its a real shame if people booed him at games…he deserved much better.

Comment by Matt N. 11.07.12 @ 4:32 pm