September 15, 2012

That Just Happened

Filed under: Football — Chas @ 5:15 pm

I won’t even pretend to write that I saw that coming.

I made the weak jokes about putting members of the 2001-03 coaching staff and team on the sideline for this game, but to see to this happen is utterly befuddling. (If anyone has pictures of Walt Harris or players from those squads on the sidelines, please share.)

The quandary this puts me in is that I watched the first half of the game on DVR delay because of a surprise project at work. I caught up by halftime. I panicked after halftime when VT returned the punt for TD (by a former Pitt commit no less). I paused the game and found excuses to do some dinner prep that could have waited until after the game. And sure enough, Pitt stayed in control to win this game.

So, now what? Intellectually I say that I have nothing to do with the on the field activity. Emotionally, I just don’t want to eff with this. Okay, it doesn’t hurt that my wife is calling in an overrule to say I have to miss next week to visit inlaws

Heading into this game, I said Tino Sunseri needed to have a USF-in-20111 game. And he did. He was outstanding. Does it erase everything before? Of course not. But the few errors he did make in this game can’t be claimed as damning.

Basically, Sunseri could have gotten a 300 yard game if Paul Chryst wanted him to. Just as he could have had let Ray Graham have a 1oo yard game. Neither did, but that was individual goals. I’m rather certain both are happy to give those numbers up to get the win. Especially against a top #15 team. about the team goals.

The defense, though, finally showed up. Huge game for them. The D-line got some pressure up front without blitzing, and the secondary reallymade strides.

Still digesting. Debating about whether to sober up. More later.

Huge win for Pitt.

Dan, the TV numbers are like that for most Pittsburgh teams. When the Pens were only filling up the Mellon Arena with 11,000 a night, they still had really strong TV numbers, same for the Pirates. The simple truth with sports in Pittsburgh (excluding the Stillers) is simply this:

If you win, Pittsburghers will show up.

Comment by The Ghost of Matt Lytle 09.16.12 @ 1:37 pm

I will admit not enjoying the game yesterday. How could I? 21-0 lead and just waiting for a Mardy Gilyard KO return for a TD late in Q2. Then it happened. So my stomach was in knots for the rest of the game.

What a thrill … Biggest win I’ve seen at Heinz Field since the 2003 game against the Hokies.

Comment by Joe Lawrence 09.16.12 @ 1:49 pm

“Just when I think you couldn’t possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!”

Comment by KRF 09.16.12 @ 3:17 pm

FWIW, Tino outplayed Flacco this weekend

Comment by wbb 09.16.12 @ 4:41 pm

I know that everyone is tired of hearing about Fraud Graham but this one is hilarious. See the link to the local phoenix newspaper talking about Graham. He is still up to his old trick of throwing everyone but himself under the bus.
His response when questioned about his offense deflating against Mizzou?

“I’ll be real honest, man. I had my hands full with the special teams and defense,” Graham said about the play-calling. “One of the things you got to do is you’ve got to let people do their job. (Norvell) did pretty good his first two weeks. He’ll do great in his career here. We’ll look at it and evaluate it obviously. I’m not going to nitpick what he does.”

The guys is a real tool. We are so fortunate for him to have left and Chryst to now be in charge. As they say… “count your blessing” PITT fans.

link to azcentral.com

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 09.16.12 @ 4:49 pm

I actually thought the ASU play calling was pretty neat

Comment by wbb 09.16.12 @ 4:58 pm

Looking ahead and hoping Flossie doesn’t suit up

link to espn.go.com

link to gardner-webb.edu

Comment by steve1 09.16.12 @ 6:50 pm

At the start of the game, the guy behind me…a Pitt/ND fan sat with his guests from VTech.

They were discussing PSU and Pitt as against that backdrop.

I will say about Graham what I say about PSU which is what Grant said about R.E. Lee.

Stop worrying about him and start worrying about what we do. Then and only then will you achieve greatness.

Or, as we would say back in the day, WTF are you worried about him for?

Comment by sfpitt 09.16.12 @ 7:45 pm

Fraud did Pitt a great favor by bolting.
Smiley did Pitt a great disfavor by bringing him here in the first place.

Nevertheless, I am thrilled to have Chryst here>

Comment by Gas 09.16.12 @ 8:01 pm

Now, pitt had almost 100 recruits in attendence yesterday. On twitter, chris peak said that pitt has room for 22-24 recruits in the 2013 class. This is who id like to see assuming they sign 24.

OL: dorian johnson and jaryd-jones smith
DL: kenton gibbs, justin moody, and aaron hush
LB: al-rasheed benton
WR: robert foster

This of course is subject to change depending on how pitt continues to develope this year

Comment by Pk 09.16.12 @ 8:06 pm

Also, pitts depth issues will not be met 100% in this class. They need 2 classes to get to a surplus in the trenches. IMO, you cant have enough quality linemen. So in this class pitt should finish with 4-6 dl, 4-6 ol, and next year they need 4-6 of each again because after next year pitt will lose ezell, murphy, donald and lippert on the dl. Thats half of their current 2 deep

Comment by Pk 09.16.12 @ 8:13 pm

sf, he took our money, he lied to our players and was cruel to them as well.

But we are not worrying about him, we are not fretting.

We’re simply wishing that his true self be finally exposed and he be given his just deserts.

Comment by steve1 09.16.12 @ 8:32 pm

WOW just back from the burg all i can say is that was NEAT.

Comment by paul shannon 09.16.12 @ 8:35 pm

pk
Chris Peak of rivals said signing class of 22-24..
that means Chryst will be asking 4-6 players to leave the program. By all counts, he only has 18 scholarships to offer.

Comment by Joe D 09.16.12 @ 8:57 pm

Game atmosphere was great at Heinz on Sat. Most students stayed until the game was over. Pitt fans will need to readjust their attitudes and behavior as Pitt transitions to th ACC. Pitt fans have allowed WVU and other Big East teams to goad them into bad behavior. Similar to posts above, big time southern football schools have fans who are passionate about their teams but are not boorish. I got a beer at the Tilted Kilt after the game and will hand it to the Pitt fans I saw; they did not allow the win to make them overbearing to the large number of VT fans in attendance (who looked stunned). Come to think of it, most Pitt fans looked stunned.

Comment by Pittstadiumshuffle 09.16.12 @ 9:03 pm

Good stuff, Pittstadiumshuffle. For one, I won’t miss RU fans.

Comment by steve1 09.16.12 @ 9:11 pm

Latest news:

link to triblive.com

Comment by steve1 09.16.12 @ 9:15 pm

I was out and about today in Virginia and then traveled over to Maryland for a round of golf and a dozen crabs after golf at one of the local crab houses on the Potomac River come evening.

I had quite a few comments concerning my Pitt gear that I was wearing. All positive, about how Pitt came out of nowhere to smack Va Tech upside the head. One guy in particular at the halfway house at the course made me laugh when he asked me “what did those boys eat for breakfast on Saturday, I could use some of that whatever it was”?

Great day to be a Pitt fan.

Comment by Dr. Tom 09.16.12 @ 9:34 pm

Boomer, lighten up. Tino played a good game and hats off to him, but got plenty o’ help from his line and running backs. The kid has had some good moments in his career and this is clearly the highlight so far, but he also has richly deserved the VAST majority of the criticism he’s received for his shaky play and suspect cockiness without reason through much of his work.

Maybe this past Saturday will be a turning point of greater focus and maturity for the remainder of his season/career, but don’t take it to the bank just yet. Let’s see him do it more than two games a year and then we’ll be rollin’.

Comment by Matt N. 09.16.12 @ 9:41 pm

@steve1.
Add, “he is still inside my head” to your list of grievances against Graham.
That means he wins.

Comment by SFPitt 09.16.12 @ 11:35 pm

Just got back from the burg and and an engagement here this evening. My wife and I and our friend who we stayed with, all with multiple Pitt degrees and years of living with the ups and downs of the Panthers are so happy that we were there. I don’t think Pitt is going to win them all but that it will be a very respectable season. I hope that 4-5 years from now this will be the game when we will be really glad to be able to say “I was there” when it all started to come together for HCPC and the Panthers. Wonderful game atmosphere, there is nothing quite like college football! I have some observations/thoughts on what could be done to enhance the game atmosphere even more. Its late so I’ll try to share them tomorrow. HTP!

Comment by opfim 09.17.12 @ 12:07 am

@opfim
Look forward to reading your suggestions….don’t hold your breath waiting for the athletic department to adopt any.
After all, they are the professionals. All those empty yellow seats over the last 10 plus years are merely an illusion. Pedersons priority when he returned triumphantly from Nebraska was to increase attendance.
Me? I’m just a paying customer and do what I am told to
do.

Comment by SFPitt 09.17.12 @ 5:38 am

Pitt2Cali…totally agree with your comments – as I have said many times HCPC can coach…he just needs time. As he said on the post-game “the players played and the coaches coached”! H2P!

Comment by markp 09.17.12 @ 8:26 am

My suffering is over…at least for one week.

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 09.17.12 @ 10:12 am

Sometimes, we are too critical of Pitt football when they lose and too euphoric when they win. But one thing is for sure, we are passionate Pitt fans. Nice win! Now let’s go for two in a row. HTP!

Comment by MarietteMike 09.18.12 @ 5:32 am