September 3, 2012

Much Went Awry

Filed under: Football — Chas @ 2:17 pm

I don’t know about anyone else but my Labor Day weekend has absolutely sucked. What I envisioned versus reality went so far afield that I scarcely know where to start.

Heading into the weekend it was all laid out just right. Everything was in place. Head to Pittsburgh at a reasonable hour in the morning, see my friends, tailgate and drink most of the day. Head in a little early to the stadium to welcome the Paul Chryst era.

Figured on a sloppy win, as the team gets its feet wet with yet another new coaching staff. That YSU might battle, Pitt might look shaky at times, but the outcome never truly in doubt. Back out to the lot, have a drink while traffic let out and optimistically speculate on the good that was seen. Get back to where we all crash — our friend’s place on the South Side. Go out and have a couple drinks, and watch some west coast college football.

Sunday would be a planned early exit. Taking a friend to the airport for an early flight which would let me go down to Central Ohio to pick up my daughter who was spending the weekend with her grandmother. Get back home before noon and have enough time to do some homebrewing and make dinner.

So much for most of that.

The game started late. We didn’t get in, even with that until right before kickoff due to some other things.

The game itself was a debacle, and possibly more stunning and demoralizing than any game since losing to USF under Walt Harris. So depressing that we couldn’t even drag our asses to a bar for a drink after we got back to the South Side. That has never happened before.

Regardless of the game. Regardless of how bad some of the beatdowns have been in the past 10 years, or how late. If it was a night game and we were all there for an overnighter, we always would go out for at least a drink. Instead, we just sat around our friend’s place. Kind of watching the Toledo-Arizona and Arkanasas St.-Oregon games, but not really. Not even wasting the effort or energy on a beer or bourbon.

Get my friend to the airport the next morning and retrieve my daughter from Zaneseville, Ohio. The engine cuts in Cambridge. The only luck was I was popping off of I-70 to refill when it happened. I had enough inertia to drift through the exit ramp and right into a Pilot travel center. My mother-in-law retrieved my daughter and I got to spend the next 4+ hours waiting.

My father-in-law pulled in some favors to actually get someone to check and fix the car that day (coil in the engine went). By the time it was all said and done, I didn’t get home until nearly 10 pm.

I’ve been in no hurry to return to consciousness today. Recap, and other crap coming later.

I am not calling for chryst head but i will jump all over him if we dont look better thur.
DAN what is this abought the DC not wanting to be here i had not hard that.
tell me what you know.
but if we dont look better thur and if the season goes to hell maybe we need some new ASST COACHS next year like A NEW LB COACH A NEW DL coach
but time will tell.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.03.12 @ 9:45 pm

Things can (emphasis: can) change in a hurry with a change at QB — good or bad. Don’t be surprised if we get punked by Cincy and/or Vtech with Tino throwing three yard outs all day and making no improv plays. But I think this year is going to be about transition, like it or not, and the sooner we transition to Anderson or Voytik, the better. I’m sure its going to happen before long…just don’t want to be embarrassed on tv before it does — but that may be the catalyst the puts us onto a better path.

Comment by Matt N. 09.03.12 @ 9:56 pm

Matt N EMel and i would say you are 100 percent right the sooner the transition the better.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.03.12 @ 10:04 pm

My eyes are too tired now FRANKCAN, but I saw two, if not three, (maybe it was the same guy), I don’t think so, mention the DC doesn’t even want to be here.

Not sure which article, one of the last three including this one.

If I get a minute, and my eyes are refreshed in the a.m., I’ll try to find them.

Figured it was just someone venting, then I saw it again, thought I missed a story somewhere???

Comment by Dan 09.03.12 @ 11:50 pm

@swinging gate, well, we won’t have to wait to long to see if he “talked” to the team, we’ll see in just a couple days.

Comment by Dan 09.03.12 @ 11:53 pm

We just LOST to youngstown st. who last year lost to indiana st. who lost to south dakota st. ! We had Tom Bradley in the palm of our hands & Pederson blew it !

Comment by ROCKY20 09.03.12 @ 11:55 pm

Enough excuses and blame to fill Heinz Field. Truth is, the game wasn’t as close as the score indicates.
Pitt “played” with no sense of urgency or purpose. That team simply went thru the motions.
Coaching? Yes.
Players? Yes.
Pederson? Yes.
Fact is that Pitt has been a clusterf#ck over the last few years and apart from Walt and a couple of seasons under Wanny, a perennial loser.
Pederson took Pitt from rags to respectability and now back to rags, with a little humiliation thrown in courtesy of Haywood and Graham.
I seriously doubt his job is in jeopardy. If he didn’t get canned for the Haywood/Wanny fiasco, he ain’t getting canned now. Nebraska only had to deal with the unprofessionalism of the Solich firing and the disaster of Callahan.
Pitt must deal with the reality of an entrenched idiot and a position that, if vacant, no one worth having would want.
Better yet, we must deal with Pitt allowing an idiot to become entrenched. Think I am wrong? Ask yourself this question. If fired today, what school would hire Pederson? His unemployment span would make Rip Van Winkle blush.
Ask yourself about fundraising. Are you going to drop 5 million into Pitt? What about 500?
No charisma, body bags all over the place, the lack of respect from his peers in college athletics..hell even his cost overruns at the Pete are the stuff of legend: and litigation I might add. DGS won’t allow him to buy a Lego set.
Does anyone not on crack think the ACC came calling because of Pederson?
Pitt has a golden opportunity to frame athletics for decades and it is blowing it!
Temple got tossed from the Big East! The Big East of all places!! Pitt has nowhere to go should the ACC get serious…Pitt does not have the legacy status of Duke!
Bottom line, the story is going to get worse before it gets better and it may never get better. Losses to YSU do not translate into donations…anyone seen Pitt’s new track? Me either.
In case no one has noticed the big dog on the block, college football, has made another jump on the power bar…much like the one in the early 90’s…we missed that one…we are about to miss this one too.
Gentlemen, Pitt football..Pitt athletics can not endure Pederson and survive.
PEDERSON MUST BE FIRED OR PITT RUNS THE RISK OF TAKING DOWN ALL SPORTS!

Comment by SFPitt 09.04.12 @ 12:43 am

this calling for pederson to be fired is the silliest of all arguments, so repetitive, and so fruitless. they are not going to fire him!

Comment by pittisit37 09.04.12 @ 5:17 am

It is not silly. Look, he didn’t even have the support to finally hire his own football coach. Why? Because someone had the nerve to say “Steve, you don’t know what you are doing. If you want Pitt to see another dollar from me, hire Paul Chryst”. If Nordy truly trusted his ability, the response should have been, “pound salt, mr. donor”. “My guy makes the decision”.

Now the problem is that you have a head coach who was not the choice of the AD, reporting to someone who didn’t want him. What kind of support do you think Pederson will give? Pederson wants him to fail so that Pederson can say I told you so. This is an embarrasment. Pederson has got to go so Paul Chryst and Pitt have a chance. Chryst has enough of a challenge with players from different factions. Now he has an AD that despises him, not because of the coach, but because the AD was forced to hire him. If Nordy can’t see this, he needs to retire sooner rather than later.

Have you ever noticed in the real world when a new outside CEO is appointed by the Board over an inside executive already entrenched, within a year, the entrenched executive is sent packing. It is the same situation, but in reverse. This is like the Board saying to the CEO, hire this executive even though yu don’t want too. Now ask yourself, how much support will that new hire have? Can Pederson now. I am so in agreement with SFPitt.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 09.04.12 @ 9:27 am

Me silly? Perish the thought.
Look, you can think anything you like pittisit37, but at the end of the day, Pitt football is in the shitter and it has gone steadily toward that destination since Pederson returned from his “dream job” at Nebraska.
If you are happy with losing to YSU, pleased with a coaching circus, happy with empty seats, etc… then calling this “fruitless” is a self fulfilling prophesy.
Apart from wrestling, the performance of the other teams at Pitt has been sub-par and that is in the Big East.
Pederson hurts Pitt badly.

Comment by sfpitt 09.04.12 @ 10:33 am

Pederson will sink or swim based on what Paul Chryst does. If Chryst succeeds, Pederson’s not going anywhere. If Chryst fails, then Pederson’s as good as gone. So even if Steve despises PC, he still has to root like hell for him to win, because his fate is ultimately tied to Chryst’s fate.

Comment by Swinging Gate 09.04.12 @ 10:35 am

Pederson is arrogant and incompetent. He has done tremendous damage to Pitt. He should be fired but sadly won’t be as long as Nordy is there.
At this point, Chryst is also incompetent AS A HEAD COACH. But he won’t be fired in the near future because it would make matters even worse. Pitt has taught many people over the years to be good even great in their fields of endeavor. We don’t have anyone to teach our head coach. Paul Chryst must learn to be a head coach on his own or with the help of mentors from other places. While he will be here for a while and maybe a long time if he learns to be successful that doesn’t mean that we are stuck with the staff and players. One of Chryst’s problems is that he didn’t get outside of his comfort zone in hiring staff. Most of them have Wisconsin ties. He needs to shake up the staff now and look to hiring great assistant coaches/recruiters for next year and beyond.
He needs to play the players who are motivated and run off the others. This will reward the contributors and attract talent in future classes. Talented people want to be surrounded by other talented people not those who are just going through the motions.
I really hope that Paul Chryst succeeds. He needs to get to work like his career depends on it because it does.

Comment by Houston Panther 09.04.12 @ 11:09 am

Hey frantic people,

Lloyd Carr, who had an amazing winning percentage at Michigan — maybe even better than the legendary Bo Schembechler (sp?)…and an even more amazing record vs top 10 teams — lost to App. State in game 1 of 2007, then came on to win nine games that year…including beating Tim Tebow’s Florida in a major bowl.

Clearly not comparing Chryst to Carr in terms of career, but these games happen even to legend coaches. I know we’re all seriously frustrated but it’s game one and he’s playing with other guys’ players so give him a season (at least) to make improvements.

Comment by Matt N. 09.04.12 @ 11:40 am

He scored alot of points running a pretty basic offense in the Big Ten — which tells me he knows how to teach the fundamentals and find talented guys and put them in spots to succeed — so give the man the room to organize and assess his players. Practice ain’t nothin’ like game day, so he’s gonna find out alot these first few games and then very likely make smart decisions based off that — including you know who.

Comment by Matt N. 09.04.12 @ 11:46 am

OK, just because I enjoy playing the Devil’s advocate, I agree Pederson is a petty, know nothing back stabbing good for nothing SOB, call up Donald Trump so he can deliver the bad news to smilely Steve ASAP.

Oops, not so fast my friend, now we got a problem, how does this play out with TV announcers discussing Pitt next year, since we got an invite to the ACC come 2013 and we are happily saying so long to the Big East as of now? Who gets the credit for that? Of cours not that SOB Trump just fired. Must have been Todd Graham before he left for Arizona. Thanks Todd!

Just sayin, rants are easy to come by, often however they’re not thought out all that well however before they slip out.

Comment by Dr. Tom 09.04.12 @ 12:54 pm

Dr. Tom. Do you really think the ACC was because of SP? the ACC decided to ask Pitt to join because of him..to any degree?
That doesn’t pass the smell test and is an insult to the ACC. Pitt was chosen because it filled a need for the ACC better than other available schools. The quality of the institution (not WVU), the demographics (not ECU) and the legacy.
I have never suggested that SP does not have accomplishments, but they are well in his past.

Comment by SFPitt 09.04.12 @ 1:43 pm

The ACC was going to do what the ACC was going to do. Some question as to whether Connecticut may have been invited, which has now been dismissed as the BC guy having sour grapes.

Regardless, as others mentioned, Pitt’s and Syracuse’s academics were a big reason along with sports.

I think that’s fantastic, really do. Proud that we are part of the “Brainy” conference in college sports. Referring to the Big 5, the ACC is known as the “smart” conference.

That is good stuff, no great stuff, really is.

I said this yesterday though. Education is first of course, however, there is this pretty big thing called athletics also.

All I’m saying, if we’re not in it to be tops, in all sports actually, but especially football, if we’re not in it to win the ACC and compete with the likes of Va Tech, Clemson, FSU etc. etc., then……

just tell us!!! Fans deserve to know this. If sports is an after thought, fine, don’t tell me we’re here to win championships, if we’re not doing everything we can, to in fact, win championships.

If it’s just, “hey Steve, do the best you can with it, no big deal”, just let us know!!

Comment by Dan 09.04.12 @ 2:57 pm

Iwas upset and mad just like you all but i want to see how the next 2 games go before i call for any bodys head.
and if things suck then i will start thinking we need new ASST coachs .
but we cant call for chryst head we have to give him at least 2 years.
but if things go real bad we can get new asst coachs next year i never like the LB coach comeing from high school and the D line coach was fired after one year at UCLA .so i would look at them first but lets see what 3 games brings first then we will have a better handle on things.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.04.12 @ 4:11 pm

I agree that Chryst needs to have at least two years to develop as a head coach. Assistants need to be replaced ASAP especially the coordinators. The defense is pathetic despite having a fair amount of talent. The offense better be prepared to just outscore everyone until the defense improves.

Comment by Houston Panther 09.04.12 @ 4:51 pm

SFPitt, yes, I think that Pitt’s administrative efforts influenced the powers that be in the ACC to offer the University of Pittsburgh an invitation to their conference. Steve Pederson is a main cog (I said COG) in that Pitt administration. So yes, I believe that he was partly responsible for making that invitation happen.

Comment by Dr. Tom 09.04.12 @ 5:54 pm

Dr. Tom. I won’t argue with you but I don’t agree either. Pederson was there and had the job when the ACC called. So too were alot of people, including Todd Graham. Doesn’t mean he tilted the scales but he was there.

Comment by SFPitt 09.05.12 @ 12:14 am