September 1, 2012

Open Thread: YSU-Pitt

Filed under: Football,Open Thread — Chas @ 8:31 am

Time to hit the road, but I’ll put this out before leaving.

The convergence of the start of school for the kids and the start of football season has been brutal. Just trying to get everything cleared away so I can get to Pittsburgh and enjoy the game and a night out. That’s my excuse for the dearth of posting leading up to the start of a new season and a (hopefully) new era under Paul Chryst.

We’ll see if Ray Graham gets any playing time. How the offensive line looks in pass protection. What Tino Sunseri can do (and how long it takes for someone to start booing him). Are the receivers going to be better when they run actual routes? And try to get a feel for what kind of head coach Paul Chryst will be on gameday.

Gametime is at 6pm. It is on ESPN3 (online) only.

Coach Ditka:

(Chryst)…said the six suspended players will get to practice this week. He said he won’t decide until later in the week if they get to play at Cincinnati.

link to blogs.sites.post-gazette.com

Comment by steve1 09.03.12 @ 2:14 pm

Here’s my suggestion for the problem surrounding Sweet Caroline.

Move the song to either halftime or better yet save it for after the game for a “Fifth Quarter” performance by the Pitt Band.

Have the Pitt Band play Sweet Caroline in collaboration with the Pitt student section.

A Fifth Quarter featuring Sweet Caroline should help solve the problem of students leaving early for the gates.

For those who have not seen it, Fifth Quarters involving the school band are pretty popular at some schools.

One that comes to mind is Wisconsin were the tradition is for the band to play the Budweiser Thems song among others.

Win or lose it keeps the majority of fans and students in the stadium until the band has finished playing.

Comment by PittofDreams 09.03.12 @ 2:21 pm

C’mon, this loss is worth 500 posts!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 09.03.12 @ 3:06 pm

I see more emotion from the gallon of milk in my fridge.
Comment by Dan 09.02.12 @ 11:40 pm

RFLMAO

One of the classic lines EVER posted on PIttblather Dan-o

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(you have to laugh as to not breakdown and cry when thinking of Pitt football these days )

Oy Vey
GRP !!

Comment by Emel 09.03.12 @ 3:27 pm

Solve the students leaving early in two steps:

1. No bus leaves until game is over.

2. Pass out a card after the game to anyone leaving. Card holders have priority on the bus over anyone in line.

As to control freaks. President Carter was a control freak. He personally spent time deciding the White House tennis court schedule.

And he was a pretty good President. Oh, wait a minute, never mind.

Comment by 66Goat 09.03.12 @ 3:28 pm

Seriously I’m thinking of opening a halfway house Counseling Center for PITT alumni since 1963.

We will offer counseling and other things(massive quantities of booze) to deal with the fortunes of following PITT football !!

Oy Vey (the new school motto)
GRP !! (get rid of Pederson)

Comment by Emel 09.03.12 @ 3:31 pm

@Pitt of Dreams

Great idea I love it, a 5th Quarter.
Only problem is somebody like Wisconsin usually wins 95% of their home games. So people are in a celebatory spirit for some 5th quarter fun.

Somebody like us (pITT) we lose 50% of our home games and usually always against anyone of note.

So while i love the idea, I can’t imagine staying after, say the latest home loss to YSU, to sing Sweet Caroline or anything else, how about We are the Champions (not).

Maybe the theme to Charlie Brown would me more appropriate, we could all hum along since it’s instrumental. 🙂

Oy Vey
GRP

Comment by Emel 09.03.12 @ 3:42 pm

No bus leaves till the game is over?

GREAT! Then NO ONE WILL GO. No one wants to see these pathetic losers get drunk the night before a game, get suspended, and get their asses handed to them.

You CANT force fans to like their team. You have to EARN fans. Fans want to cheer-they’ve wanted to for years-but we fail year after year. Fans are sick of it. Students don’t care-why should they? The team sucks

Comment by anonymouspitt 09.03.12 @ 3:51 pm

@E-mel, mark me down for a seat in your charter school!!!

Comment by Dan 09.03.12 @ 5:36 pm

Reed — how much does Sal pay you? That’s such a bogus argument about Street jogging…are you serious. Tino had plenty of time to see the play develop and make the throw on what he saw — Street wide open behind the db — and he still blew it. As I said previously, he made a nice throw on the td to Brinson but missed badly on any throw that required touch. Anderson better strap it on this week ’cause he’s likely going in at Cincy.

Comment by Matt N. 09.03.12 @ 6:20 pm

No – that 1st half pass was on the wrong shoulder & a bad pass. I meant the 2nd half deep sideline route at the 12:20 mark of the 4th quarter.

Comment by Reed 09.03.12 @ 7:08 pm

It would be nice to have another passing stat which tracks completions that are of 2 yards or less. It looks like the Pitt QB would have a lot of completions in this column.

Comment by move_on 09.03.12 @ 7:34 pm

Can’t blame the students. The stadium requires a bus ride to get to, the parking situation is horrific even if they have cars and the team has waffled between horrid and mediocre from a decade before they were born.

There is no emotional attachment. How are you supposed to build positive emotions when the whole thing is just a terrible experience? Get up early as hell so you can take a bus to Heinz Field for a noon kickoff to watch Pitt struggle to beat terrible teams or to get blown out buy the good ones. Even the kids from Western PA would have absolutely no positive memories of this team growing up.

I’m from Jersey and only went to Pitt because a scholarship made it cheaper than Rutgers (a school with a very similar fan base, just missing the decade of success and the old timers holding on to a dead in state rivalry). The only reason I even care is because I love football, I saw some great wins (VT leaving BE, ND so proud of this fucking football team, and WVU dagger) and I enjoy stuffing my face and binge drinking in parking lots.

Comment by Chris 09.03.12 @ 11:24 pm

I’m also a Jets fan. I’m used to the sheer hopelessness of it all. I’ve been watching Sunseri on Saturday and then Sanchez on Sunday. I hate football.

Comment by Chris 09.03.12 @ 11:28 pm

“inside, outside, leave me alone
inside, outside, nowhere is home
inside, outside, where have I been
out of my brain, on the 5:15”

Comment by Dan 09.04.12 @ 12:14 am

Matt – It wasn’t just me that noticed Street pulling up on his sideline route. Everyone around me at the stadium commented on it as it happened right below us. Also, Ralph Friedgen, the ESPN3 color man, noticed it and commented it during the live action and on the replay. I’d say Friedgen knows what he’s talking about.

This is the 4th quarter pass I’m talking about – not the poor throw on the 1st half pass where Street was wide open and Sunseri blew it. That was a typical Sunseri muff.

Comment by Reed 09.04.12 @ 6:56 am

Hoopies reach a new low. It is reported that some WVU students were chanting, “Hope your plane crashes” to the Marshall football team after the game. And they wonder why they have such a bad national reputation. I will take our classy Pitt students any day over a bunch of drunk, rude and classless Hoopie Hillbillies in Morgantown.

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 09.04.12 @ 11:57 am