August 27, 2012

Two-Deep for YSU Announced

Filed under: Football,Players — Chas @ 10:47 am

This will take some getting used to with Coach Paul Chryst. He’s not one for giving out a lot of information on injuries and apparently setting the 2-deep. Unlike the NFL, there is no hard rules regarding transparency with injuries or even how quickly 2-deeps are put out by the programs.

So, while last week beat writers mentioned seeing Jarred Holley in a walking boot because of some sort of foot injury, the extent or type of injury was not known. This was the case for several players who were known to have injuries, but the type and severity were vague to unknown.

At some point, though, a 2-deep had to be published. Like today with the game notes for the YSU (PDF) game.

So let’s take a look at it.

OFFENSE

Wide Receiver
87 MIKE SHANAHAN (6-5, 225, SR*)
14 Ronald Jones (5-8, 170, SO)

Wide Receiver
15 DEVIN STREET (6-4, 190, JR*)
5 Cameron Saddler (5-7, 160, SR*)

Left Tackle
78 CORY KING (6-6, 325, JR*)
69 Adam Bisnowaty (6-6, 275, FR)

Left Guard
54 CHRIS JACOBSON (6-3, 295, SR*)
56 Arthur Doakes (6-6, 340, SO*)

Center
75 RYAN TURNLEY (6-6, 320, SR*)
57 Artie Rowell (6-2, 300, FR*)

Right Guard
76 RYAN SCHLIEPER (6-5, 310, JR*)
64 Shane Johnson (6-5, 325, SO*)

Right Tackle
74 MATT ROTHERAM (6-6, 335, SO*)
52 Zenel Demhasaj (6-7, 325, JR*)

Tight End
83 HUBIE GRAHAM (6-4, 255, SR*)
6 Drew Carswell (6-4, 220, SO*)

Quarterback
12 TINO SUNSERI (6-2, 215, SR*)
10 Trey Anderson (6-0, 185, SO)

Tailback
1 RAY GRAHAM (5-9, 190, SR)
34 Isaac Bennett (5-11, 205, SO)
4 Rushel Shell (6-0, 215, FR)

Fullback
43 MARK GIUBILATO (6-2, 230, SO*)
46 Adam Lazenga (6-0, 235, SO*)

Overall, no major surprises. Yes, Ray Graham is listed as the starter for YSU, but I don’t think he plays much more than a series. Rushel Shell has already passed Malcolm Crockett, so any talk of redshirt with him kind of looks silly now.

Surprised not to see J.P. Holtz at least listed on the 2-deep as the 3d TE. But, he’ll be out there.

Probably can read into this that Chad Voytik is heading for a redshirt if at all possible. Seeing Trey Anderson as the No. 2 QB despite a hand injury that cost him a lot of practice time, coupled with Voytik opening some eyes by the end of camp might be considered a hint.

DEFENSE

Defensive End
90 T.J. CLEMMINGS (6-6, 290, SO*)
93 Bryan Murphy (6-3, 255, SO*)

Defensive Tackle
97 AARON DONALD (6-0, 275, JR)
91 Darryl Render (6-2, 270, FR)

Nose Tackle
50 TYRONE EZELL (6-4, 300, JR*)
95 Khaynin Mosley-Smith (6-0, 305, SO)

Defensive End
72 JACK LIPPERT (6-4, 280, JR*)
45 Shayne Hale (6-4, 260, SR*)

Middle Linebacker
44 SHANE GORDON (6-1, 220, JR*)
53 Joe Trebitz (6-3, 220, SR*)

Sam Linebacker
49 ERIC WILLIAMS (6-3, 215, SO*)
59 Emanuel Rackard (6-0, 220, JR*)

Will Linebacker
3 NICHOLAS GRIGSBY (6-1, 220, FR*)
36 Manny Williams (6-1, 235, SR*)

Cornerback
23 LAFAYETTE PITTS (5-11, 195, FR*)
24 Cullen Christian (6-0, 195, SO*)

Cornerback
2 K’WAUN WILLIAMS (5-10, 190, JR)
10 Jahmahl Pardner (5-11, 170, FR)

Strong Safety
9 RAY VINOPAL (5-10, 190, SO*)
25 Jason Hendricks (6-0, 180, JR*)

Free Safety
41 ANDREW TAGLIANETTI (5-11, 185, SR*) OR
18 JARRED HOLLEY (5-10, 190, SR*)

There is no way around it. The linebacker situation is precarious at best. I can’t remember the capsule preview I read on Pitt’s defense, but it mentioned how with Pitt switching back to a 4-3 defense after last year, that the D-line lacked depth. I don’t even want to think about what the 2-deep of a 3-4 would have looked like.

A little bit of a surprise/shake-up at the safeties. Jarred Holley is listed as the co-starter — yet second on the chart — with Andrew Taglianetti. As noted, Holley was injured last week, so that may play into it.

Ray Vinopal beat out incumbent Jason Hendricks for the Strong Safety spot. Vinopal has been making an impression in both the spring and fall practices. Having to sit a year after transferring from Michigan seems to have been a very good thing for his development. Hendricks has been struggling to get back to full health after being hurt last season. He missed the spring while recovering and then suffered other injury setbacks in camp.

SPECIALISTS

Punter
92 MATT YOKLIC (6-4, 215, JR*)
48 Drake Greer (6-4, 200, SO*)

Placekicker
39 KEVIN HARPER (5-10, 175, SR*)
48 Drake Greer (6-4, 200, SO*)

Holder
92 MATT YOKLIC (6-4, 215, JR*)
41 Andrew Taglianetti (5-11, 185, SR*)

Long Snapper
58 KEVIN BARTHELEMY (6-3, 245, JR*)
67 David Murphy (6-1, 230, FR*)

Kickoff Returner
5 CAMERON SADDLER (5-7, 160, SR*)
14 Ronald Jones (5-8, 170, SO)

Punt Returner
5 CAMERON SADDLER (5-7, 160, SR*)
14 Ronald Jones (5-8, 170, SO)

Cam Saddler and Ronald Jones back to handle punts and kicks. Saddler has not been explosive since his ACL injury as a freshman. Jones may supplant him as the primary — assuming he doesn’t have fumble issues.

By my count there are eight players starting on Saturday where this will be the first game they have started in their careers.

Eight out of 22. With seven FR sprinkled into the two-deep. This is why some of us are worried about this season.

In addition, while others may feel differently, I don’t think we have the overall talent level in the two-deep that most PITT fans have been talking about. We’ve got some real talent at certain positions like RB and Safety, maybe even WR (if the two starters can bounce back) and TE also but if you look at the other units you can see we are lacking.

Comment by Reed 08.28.12 @ 9:47 am

Taxing Matters – I think you are off base if you think “Voytik is at a completely different talent level than Anderson”. That isn’t true at all.

Anderson is a much better athlete than PITT fans think. He has a strong and pretty accurate arm (yes, I know he threw three INTs) and is probably the best runner of all three QBs, and both Sunseri and Voytik can run also so that’s saying something.

I’d say that as a passer Voytik may be a bit better physically but at this point Anderson is much more consistent with his throws. Voytik has a lot of talent but that doesn’t mean he’s a better QB right now.

That last point is important when viewing the QB two deep. Voytik was inconsistent from the 1st day of camp until the end of practices. He was up and down on a weekly and daily basis and even from one pass to another. In that 2nd scrimmage he made two real nice throws on roll outs then dropped back and threw one of the worst passes I’ve ever seen the next play.

But that is how true freshmen play in their first camp, next year – or even a few months from now – will be a different story. So, what does every head coach, especially one who was an OC prior, hate more than anything else? Interceptions. Voytik was throwing them in camp and I think that has to do with Anderson being #2 also.

Comment by Reed 08.28.12 @ 10:13 am

Reed…

That’s for clearing up Sweet Caroline.

According to Zeise at Post Gazette… it was Ferris responding to a group of students who had the song as “one of the suggestions.”

If that’s the way it went down… my bad.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.28.12 @ 10:26 am

Reed, I agree with your assesment. I remember when Trey Anderson first came in last year he initially looked pretty good. Of course being a freshman that quickly changed. Quarterback with all the complexities of the position makes it difficicult for freshmen to master. Particulaily when they are making the transition from the high school to the college game. The back and forth stuff last season, under Todd Graham certainlly didn’t help. He threw Tino and Trey under the bus. Voytik will benefit from a transition year, if they do not need to play him in before he’s ready.

Comment by Justinian 08.28.12 @ 11:08 am

Let’s go Tino!! That’s right. I’m giving him a blank slate.

It’s up to you. You’re a senior, no excuses. Don’t want to hear about the line or the receivers, there are college qb’s all over America dealing with the same thing.

Make some plays. Keep self-inflicted mistakes to a bare minimum. No throws two yards into the dirt in front of a wide open wr. No three yards over the head of a wide open wr on the sideline, and no ridiculous sacks.

I am not being sarcastic, I am cheering for him and Pitt. Hoping we start off strong.

I will reserve the right however, to call a spade a spade.

Let’s Go Pitt!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 08.28.12 @ 11:21 am

Dan– hopefully “spade” will be the worst of names Tino gets called this season!
Hail to optimism!

Comment by JW 08.28.12 @ 11:36 am

POD – Borghetti is the go-to guy for almost everything but he was pretty quick to make sure I knew that music had nothing to do with him – I gather its a running joke at PITT.

Justinian – I’d much rather see Voytik have a good shot at success without the pressure of having to play as a true freshman. i don’t care how physically talented anyone is – it is a crapshoot as to how well a true FR QB will play.

It would be a completely different story had he been here in the spring then named a starter at the beginning of summer camp – as happens with some true FR. That way he’d have four weeks of QB1 snaps under his belt and the rest of the offense would be used to him.

That makes a big difference. The number of true FR QBs who are pushed into action unexpectedly and falter is way bigger than the ones who succeed like Bridgewater at UL.

Comment by Reed 08.28.12 @ 11:37 am

PittofDreams, Yes, Andersen may have some great high school credentials but if I remember correctly he didn’t have one single scholarship offer when Fraud Graham signed him??? That speaks volumes about his true level of talent and ability. Not to mention he was far from impressive in the few opportunities he had to play. Yes I know he was put into a bad situation but he showed very little accuracy or arm strength. He’s listed at 6’0, 180. My guess is he’s 5’10 and 180 with his pads on.

I did some research and Andersens only other offer was from the Bryant Bulldogs…yes Bryant. Never heard of it??? Me either but apparently its a University in Rhode Island that started playing football in 1999.

Comment by Coach Ditka 08.28.12 @ 12:03 pm

I see the xanax is working Dan

Comment by Coach Ditka 08.28.12 @ 12:05 pm

@ya Coach Ditka, they’d smell the Scotch at work!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 08.28.12 @ 12:19 pm

I actually love your spirit Dan. I am just not sure I can completely forget about Tino’s last two years. I do however hope that Tino proves me completely wrong, nothing would please me more than to see Tino have an All American year but I’d settle for just an above average season if thats the best he’s capable of.

Comment by Coach Ditka 08.28.12 @ 12:22 pm

How ’bout a scotch and chocolate sundae, with xanax sprinkles?

Comment by Matt N. 08.28.12 @ 12:53 pm

Hey! Tino has 7 tds and Ray ran for 300 yards and its only halftime…hey man, I can’t feel my arms!

Comment by Matt N. 08.28.12 @ 12:56 pm

Come on guys cut Dan some slack. I feel exactly the same way as he does!

College football, especially with this team, considering all of the variables that have taken place over the last few months with the coaching change, systems back to Pro set, etc., should be viewed just like playing a match in golf. “Yeah, I sucked on the last hole, sliced my drive into trouble and missed a putt to lose the hole but forget about it, next hole new game”. Previous horrendous performance can still evolve into a victory in the match if you just keep grinding away and keep your mental attiude positive and get your game back on track before the match gets away from you. So using that golfing analogy, you have to give Tino Sunseri just enough rope to at least let him hang himself again this year.

You gotta give him the benefit of the doubt, I think we have to let him prove to us, once again, that he still makes the same poor decisions and that he still chokes under the pressure, yet again.

How long should that take, I’d say after the Syracuse game on 10/5 we’ll know pretty well if Coach Chryst is a miracle worker or not. The guy is supposedly an offensive genius, lets just wait to find out if Tino can make him look as dumb as a rock, or not.

If we don’t have a winning record after 5 games (2 of which were against FSC opponents) then we can start clammoring for Tino’s head on a stake. Until then gentlemen, I’m sorry to inform you all that once again,,,”it’s Tino time”!!!!

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.28.12 @ 1:38 pm

A friend of mine will remember this not-so-fondly, scotch and hot chocolate at an army game many moons ago.

Comment by steve1 08.28.12 @ 1:42 pm

@ steve1, what color is that concoction when it comes back up again? LOL.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.28.12 @ 1:49 pm

Caramel. It was so cold that day that it froze on expulsion.

And Pitt lost to boot…so to speak.

Comment by steve1 08.28.12 @ 1:56 pm

@DR TOM, and some others, you’re too kind. I’m giving a blank slate, to alleve my own frustrations. Some of you are better than me giving him till Syracuse.

Yes, I’m starting with a blank slate, but a couple balls into the dirt, I could be calling on that spade in the YSU game!!!! LOL

Yes, Scotch is a funny fella. Once you acquire the taste, not much can come close, however, Scotch does not like to be friends with the mixer crowd. A little soda from the old days, or maybe a little water, but, mostly, he likes to play alone!!!

Comment by Dan 08.28.12 @ 2:16 pm

Reed – You may have misunderstood my point regarding the backup QB. I agree from all that I’ve heard that Anderson is likely the best option to be the backup at the beginning of the year. However, it sounded from reports written here and other blogs that Voytik’s trend line was markedly on the rise. If this continued over the next 3-4 weeks, I would imagine that he could become a better option.
Talented QBs don’t usually get ignored and for Anderson to have no significant D1 offers has to at least imply something. Is it possible that every D1 school simply missed on the kid and he’s got talent well beyond that of Voytik, I guess so, but that seems pretty improbable.
Frankly, I think its as much about his physical limitations (ie can’t teach someone to grow) as it is anything else. From my seat in the stands, he looked to be having a difficult time seeing over pass rushers and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

Comment by Taxing Matters 08.28.12 @ 2:47 pm

@ steve1, yep, kinda thought so.
@ Dan, no balls in the “dirt” until December at Heinz Field. It always looks sooo nice and green in September, then by season’s end you wonder if they had a demolition derby at the fifty yard line the night before.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.28.12 @ 3:20 pm

Seriously Trey couldn’t start on most WPIAL HS teams. Are we dipping into the liquor cabinet earlier in the day, lol. (don’t blame ya Coach with another season of Sir Tino staring at us, ….. smack dab,,in the middle of the face.)

But again, Anderson led his HS team to the 5A Texas State championship. That’s Texas mind you, not Indiana, Tennessee, Iowa or even (I’ll say it) Pennsylvania. Texas puts out 10 times as many D1 players than PA. Maybe 20 times. Texas is one of the Big 3 (TX. FLA & CA.) If Anderson could start in Texas and win the 5A title, he could surely start for ANYONE in the WPIAL. This isn’t the 1970’s when players like Marino, Montana and Jim Kelly were playing in Western PA. Even states like North Carolina & South Carolina are putting out more D1 players than PA, due to demographics.

The kid performed very well the first time he played, when he was injury free, and kept PITT from a Major home embarrassment against D2 Maine, leading PITT to 10 4rth Q points. Yes it was Maine, but our starter was benched, after throwing 2 picks and Maine could have very easily been added to that infamous list of Ohio U, Toledo, etc.

Then he was thrown in on the road against a pretty good Rutgers team who had eaten Tino’s lunch
up to that point. Trey developed his injury either before that game or during it, as he clearly had trouble throwing with authority after that, although he did manage to drop in a nicely thrown 35-40 yd pass to Shanahan against Notre Dame who promptly dropped it (that could have been a huge play). He was then thrown in against Utah after another Sunseri dreadful performance in the 40-50 mph winds game. Clearly Trey’s injury bothered him in that game, as that was his last appearance of the season. He probably shouldn’t have even played that game, but Graham was desperate after Tino showed absolutely nothing in the 1rst half of that game.

Again I feel like Sunseri was quite fortunate Trey developed tendinitis in his throwing hand, for Graham had lost total confidence in him(rightly so) and had Trey not been injured, Sir Tino’s starting days would have been a thing of the past.
imo

But alas that was not meant to be and here we are again, at the beginning of yet another season. And yes, one Santino Sunseri has once again won another so-called QB competition. Yikes !

Pass the bottle Coach Ditka 🙂

Comment by Emel 08.28.12 @ 4:07 pm

Pitt 48 YSU 17

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.28.12 @ 5:32 pm

dan. i agree. scotch doesn’t appreciate playmates.
it will turn on them and then you. that’s why i play with vodka for tailgating.

Comment by pittkeith 08.28.12 @ 6:24 pm

ps playing in green 23 again this year. and i bring the beer i didn’t drink after yard work each game until it’s gone. the beer makes a lot of lot friends for a game or 2 (at most 3).

Comment by pittkeith 08.28.12 @ 6:30 pm

Tino, Trey and Anthony Goznalez all led their teams to state championships — highest tier for all 3

Comment by wbb 08.28.12 @ 7:16 pm

wbb – last year we had four QBs who did that same thing.

Emel, I’ll agree that Anderson is better than most think. His camp was going very well prior to his wrist injury and he was holding onto that QB2 spot up to that point – and even now obviously.

I’d love to see what he could do given a chance to get out there in a normal way and play football. That most probably won’t happen though given the personnel we have now and wre getting next season.

Comment by Reed 08.28.12 @ 8:26 pm

Gin for this saturday

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.29.12 @ 8:58 am

Oooohhh, Pitt it IS, Gin. Our family favorite around the holidays, really never have it at the tail gates. Always refreshing, perhaps a new tradition for us. I can smell the fresh limes allready!!

Comment by Dan 08.29.12 @ 9:42 am

I give Anderson credit for being a tough kid. I saw some of the hits he took last season – he was getting crushed out there – and he was clearly not ready for the speed of the college game. But I’ll bet one thing, I’ll bet he’s resilient, and i’ll bet he’s a lot more ready this year. What a story it would be if he had to come in for a few games and lit it up. Not saying it’s going to happen, but hey, that’s a pretty good story. Lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt and hope his wrist heals up quickly.

Comment by The Atlanta Panther 08.29.12 @ 10:32 am