August 21, 2012

Voytik Flashes

Filed under: Football,Players,Practice — Chas @ 10:20 am

You can almost feel the trepidation in the words. The hesitation to publish. The dread at what may come from it. Yet it happened and it must be reported: Chad Voytik had a very good practice.

In his best practice since coming to Pitt this summer, the freshman quarterback showed almost all of the tools that drew the reviews of national scouting evaluators, enticed the last coaching staff, made the current staff want to keep him in the recruiting class, and had Pitt fans excited.

On display Monday night was an impressive combination of pocket presence, arm strength, accuracy, speed, downfield awareness while rolling out, and an ability to throw on the run. And the key word there was the adjective:

Impressive.

Oh, god…

THATSIT!!!!!!!!!!!THATSWHATWEVEBEENWAITINGFOR!!ITELLYOUTINOISDONEITSVOYTIKTIMEBABEEEE!!!!!OMGZOMGSTARTHIMNOWPUTTINO ONTHEBENCHTHISISWHATTHETEAMNEEDSCANNOTWALLOWINMEDIOCRITYANYLONGER!!CHRYSTISTHEMANANDHEKNOWSTHATHE CANTPLAYTINOIFHEWANTSTHISTEAMTOHAVEANYCHANCEBUTIFHEDOESYOUCANBETITISBECAUSEOFTHESUNSERINAMEORTHECENTRALCATHOLICMAFIAORSOMEOTHERNEBULOUSREASONTHATHASTINOSTILLSTARTINGOTHERTHAN HEISTHEBESTOPTIONBYNOWTHREEDIFFERENTCOACHINGSTAFFSWITHDIFFERENTOFFENSIVESTYLESTOWARDSQUARTERBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Is that out of the system?

It’s true, Voytik had a very good day. Confirmed by others.

Freshman quarterback Chad Voytik looked like a different player Monday night, compared to the first days of training camp.

Now before Pitt fans start jumping to conclusions and looking for Voytik in the starting lineup Sept. 1 against Youngstown State, I’ll say this: Relax.

Voytik isn’t ready to take over for fifth-year senior Tino Sunseri. He missed spring practice because he was still in high school, and he is not accustomed to playing under center, a fundamental element of Chryst’s offense, although he does use the shotgun at times.

But Voytik looked supremely poised and comfortable in the pocket when Pitt wrapped up the last of its two-a-day practices in the indoor facility on the South Side.

Voytik hit wide receiver Cam Saddler with a perfectly placed pass in the near corner of the end zone and later found freshman tight end J.P. Holtz for a score. A few plays previous, Holtz made a nice catch across the middle when he tipped a Voytik pass to himself while falling to the turf.

It’s also worth noting that in the morning practice he had a bad enough practice that he even took to twitter to vent.

So, one practice bad, the next really good. Is there anything else to take away from this?

ZOMG!!!!!!!YOUJUSTDONTGETIT!!!VOYTIKISTHEMANALEADERHEHADABADPRACTICEANDRESPONDEDTURNEDITAROUND!!!!HESALREADYMOREOFAMANTHANTINOISHISTEAMMATESALREADYLIKEHIMMORETHANTINOHEHASTOBETHESTARTERICANTTAKEWATCHINGTINY–SEEWHATIDIDTHEREITSFUNNYBECAUSEOFHISSIZEANDARMSTRENGTHANDTHEWAYHESHRINKSINTHEGAME–ITISOOBVIOUSANDANYONEWHODISAGREESCLEARLYHASSUCHLOWEXPECTATIONSANDISNTATRUEFANOFPITT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, right.

It is encouraging. It is progress. But, progress is not a straight line progression. Step forwards. Step backs.

Thanks Chas. You know we are going to hear the same things the first time Sunseri throws an incomplete pass against YSU.

Comment by Reed 08.21.12 @ 10:25 am

Also heard the same cries for Tino every time Bill Stull threw an incompletion.

Comment by EveryLoyalSon 08.21.12 @ 10:28 am

Just checked – only four more camp practices before it ends and the team goes into the regular gameday practice mode.

Not a lot of time for any more real movements in the two deep I think so what we see over the next few days is probably, with exception of injured kids returning to play, what we will see next Saturday.

On Friday after camp ends I’ll post up a couple of predictions threads, one for the team in general and one for players, for us guys to weigh in with our opinions on.

I think its been a great training camp and its been fun as hell to watch the scrimmages. I always like it when players come out of nowhere to do well like Jack Lippert and Donald Ezell have done or when a new guy impresses enough to win a spot on the two deep like Crockett, Vinopal and Bisnowaty have.

Plus seeing guys that you just know will be there for us in the future even if they don’t play much during the season. Shell may be one of those, Chris Wuestner has opened eyes, Voytik and Jason Frimpong are two also.

We have talent on this team. There is no doubt about that and we’ll win some ballgames, perhaps a lot if the injury gods overlook us and the ball bounces our way sometimes.

Comment by Reed 08.21.12 @ 10:39 am

Not much of a fan of balls bouncing. Prefer to see some clutch QB that leads us to several victories in the 4Q. It seems like ages since we won a game that we were behind at halftime.

Comment by rayhpgh 08.21.12 @ 10:49 am

Reed,

Any possibility of a scouting report on Youngstown leading up to the game?

Rumors abound that YSU has more talent than usual this year and are coming in with an attitude.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.21.12 @ 10:52 am

just remember exactly 3 years ago today (and 3 yrs ago yesterday and tomorrow, etc) when everyone was calling for Tino to replace Stull

Comment by wbb 08.21.12 @ 10:55 am

One practice makes not a QB.

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.21.12 @ 11:07 am

When Marino was a frosh… he shared playing time with Trocano… initially.. yep, he played in the first game of the season (79) but not the starter.
By the end of the season, Marino was the starter and played the entire game. Pitt went 11-1 that year.
Albeit Voytik is no Marino… I hope Chryst uses him during the season… no need to red shirt Voytik.

Comment by Joe D 08.21.12 @ 11:13 am

EveryLoyalSon,

I don’t recall Bill Stull ever being as wretchedly bad as Tino Sunseri is on his normal game days.

Go back and watch the end of the Backyard Brawl of 2010 (if you can stand watching those awful Urban Combat uniforms…), or the overtime of the Utah game — both under Wanny’s system (which they say fits Tino’s “skill set”). Or watch the 4th Qtrs of last year’s Iowa, ND, Cincy, or WVU games. Watch Tino in the Pitt (errr, BVB Compass or whatever it’s called…) Bowl.

Common theme: pressure! Under game (or defense) pressure, Tino folds like a cheap suit. Takes stupid sacks at the worst possible times (and then doesn’t have the courage to stand up and say “That one’s on me, I shouldda gotten rid of the ball.”). Or he uses his short stature and weak scatter-arm to (over)(under) throw too far (behind)(ahead) of his WRs. I could go on and on.

Point being, what is to be gained by playing Tino again? We’ve seen this movie, and we know how it ends. Tino the Magnificent is why I didn’t renew my season tix, I just can’t justify spending that much money to watch that guy play even one more time.

Even with this year’s relatively easy schedule (compared to next year…), I can’t see Tino doing any better than 7-5, with 6-6 being more likely, and another trip to Birmingham, big whoop.

PLEASE play ABT this year (and probably still go 6-6 and traipse off to Birmingham in January) to get somebody ready for next year.

HTP

Comment by Imma Man! Im 40! 08.21.12 @ 11:13 am

Is the two deep posted any where on the web?

Comment by notrocketscience 08.21.12 @ 11:49 am

notrocketscience..
Rivals (pantherlair) has a pretty good depth chart but it is not the “official” depth chart but based upon his observations and some conversations with coaches.. He started the depth chart after spring ball and revised it since.

Comment by Joe D 08.21.12 @ 11:59 am

Imma Man! I know Bill Stull was pretty bad in the Sun Bowl his junior year. Tino couldn’t have played any worse in that debacle.

I’m in favor of sitting Voytik. For ever Teddy Bridgewater, how many Pat Bostics are there? Guys that had potential that were thrown into the fire before they were ready and never were able to realize that potential…

If they go 6-6 this year will be a huge disappointment. I’ll take 7-5 and a bowl win as something to build on. I think 8-3 + a bowl win is also within reach, if things break our way.

Comment by Atlanta Panther 08.21.12 @ 12:47 pm

Most of the Stull/Sunseri controversey happened because:
1. The last game we saw of Stull at that was the Sun Bowl. ’nuff said.
2. It was reported that Sunseri was a star during the spring and preseason practices. We now realize the problem with that report…

I’m no Sunseri fan, and I certainly don’t trust him in a late game situation, but Pitt did win 7 games with him in 2010 (I’m not counting the bowl).

And, as I’ve repeated numerous times, give last year’s team this season’s schedule and they win 8 games, even with Tino as the QB.

Tino may be a lot of the reason Pitt doesn’t win 10+ games this season, but he won’t be the reason Pitt fails to 8+.

Face it, there’s no reliable option right now behind him. Anderson apparently has a chronic injury issue. Voytik is a true freshman. Jones and Gonzalez aren’t viable.

I did find Chryst’s tirade at Tino to be rather encouraging.

Comment by originalether 08.21.12 @ 12:55 pm

Irrespective of how Chad did in last night’s practice he is just not ready. Perhaps, and this is not a given, if Chad had enrolled early he would be more ready but we just don’t know due to the fact of the rarity of true frosh QBs being successful at the collegiate level.

Tino is going to start because he is the best Chryst has and he knows it. All Chryst can do is play to his strengths while limiting situations where he breaks down.

I say it is not a bad thing for Tino to go into the season as #2. It will accelerate his development. As to whether he will be ready to come in, that is another matter. I still think Trey has to get healthy and be the number two.

Comment by Kenny 08.21.12 @ 1:20 pm

You cant afford to sit Voytik when Trey Anderson is the only other QB standing. Pitt is not Alabama where the talent is so deep that you can afford to red shirt someone with the potential of a Chad Voytik. Even if he doesnt start he needs to play and get ready for next year. I dont understand whatb the point is for him to hold a clipboard for a year, its not like he has a heisman QB or hell even a proven QB playing in front of him.

Comment by Coach Ditka 08.21.12 @ 1:27 pm

Voytik should be the #2…
Chryst should get him playing time starting in game 1 even if for 1 series… and build from there as the season goes on. I’m not saying he should start… but should see playing time every game.
Therefore next year, there will be a real battle for starting QB between Voytik and Savage… and can’t use the excuse of game day experience. The backup, whoever it is, will be a solid backup.

Comment by Joe D 08.21.12 @ 1:35 pm

Here’s my takeposted elsewhere…

In my opinion there isn’t a reason to start Voytik now because I don’t think he’s a better QB than Sunseri at this point. Mid-year, who knows. That is why I say if you don’t lock a redshirt on Voytik then get him as involved as possible so he’s a true and viable option if they yank Sunseri or if he gets hurt.

Now – I’ll say this also. I agree with you (Ghost40 BTW) that CV may be that playmaker/gamer type QB that every team wants. He’s exciting to watch out there and you can really see his potential. He looked different from scrimmage #1 to scrimmage #2 and even better two days later apparently.

I never got that feeling with Sunseri at all since he was recruited. My hopes for him were that he’d fill the bill as a game manager, decent passer type QB. I’m not a big Sunseri fan and was calling for him to be replaced last season. I’m also not a big Voytik critic in that I think he’s a good football player.

I just look at the expectations PITT fans have even now for Voytik and try to temper those with what I see is the reality of the staff’s choice of QB to be a starter this season. Plus, I’ve seen a lot of true FR QBs thrown into action then never being heard from again. We saw it with Pat Bostick also.

I’d hate to have that happen with Voytik if this isn’t done correctly.

Naming a FR QB2 and having him take game prep practice snaps is 100% better than having to throw a kid in without preparation. I think this staff understands that and it would be interesting to know if Anderson’s injury allowed that move to #2 to happen or if the staff was going to fleet up Voytik anyway that early. Regardless, the fact that he’s playing as 2nd string (probably) and getting a lot of camp reps going into the season is the best way to prepare him for action.

Comment by Reed 08.21.12 @ 1:54 pm

I believe CV will be the #2 and get some PT this year. If you look beyond this year, our QB situation improves greatly with Savage becoming eligable and incoming players as well as having Voytik in his second year.

There is no way Chryst will play someone that doesnt put the team in the best position to win. If that is Tiny, then so be it. Voytik, fine. I am sure he also will not stick with a lsing proposition very long either.

Anderson should be the emergency #3.

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.21.12 @ 1:54 pm

Reed,
I’m not sure Bostic is a good example.
If I recall, he had problems at summer camp… homesick or something… and went home for a few weeks. Almost quit altogether before the season started. Wanny had to talk him back to camp.
Bostic didn’t have the fire in the belly that Voytik has… Voytik is a hard worker.

Comment by Joe D 08.21.12 @ 1:59 pm

My only comfort in this ongoing debate is Chryst was a big time winner and point producer at Wisconsin — which Wanny never was, wherever he was ‘at’, and Graham sputtered when his good OCs at Tulsa left him. Chryst’s track record at UW indicates he will not tolerate stupid QB play for very long…a serious relief to me.

By the way, Russell Wilson, like Tino, had multiple coaches and ‘systems’ between his times at NCState and then Wisconsin…in fact, moved to a state he had apparently zero connection to — and still put up Heisman caliber numbers last year…and we never once heard him whine about a new system or coordinator, did we?

Comment by Matt N. 08.21.12 @ 2:01 pm

PITT is it –

Here is the bottom line for PITT this year – it has to go 7-5 at least and have no outside the lines problems. Job #1 for Paul Chryst is to bring a full year of stability back to the program and win more games than he loses..

That means not playing Voytik to “get him ready” for the ACC, as so many PITT fans have stated they want to see happen, if Voytik isn’t the best QB to get us wins this year. Voytik is not the most important player on this team and the team does not revolve around Voytik.

He has a great shot to be a starting QB at PITT but other players will have a say in how well that turns out. Savage, Anderson and Chapman will try to do the same thing Voytik is doing this season – working his ass off for playing time.

If PITT fans are pointing to Voytik as playing when he’s a true FR you can be sure they will do the same thing with Tra’von Chapman next year, especially since it seems like Chapman is trying to get here in the spring.

If you look at all four recruiting sites and the averages of where both Chapman and Voytik were ranked nationally as QBs you get Voytik at 13th and Chapman at 15th. Not a lot of difference there. Nothing is guaranteed for Chad Voytik when it comes to being a starting QB at PITT, but getting PT would be a great help for him down the road.

Comment by Reed 08.21.12 @ 2:02 pm

CV should get playing time starting with game 1. I am not a Tino fan in the least but he probably should start, but we need someone ready in case he gets injured, or plays his way out of the line up.
Watching him struggle like last year should not be an option.
Voytek needs to get a series or two with the first unit every game, not on an if we can get him in situation, especially against powerhouses likes YSU. I don’t care if they are better than normal.

Comment by Jimbo 08.21.12 @ 2:06 pm

Let’s hope Chryst is a big time winner and point producer like at Wisconsin — while I expect he will be productive, he still has yet to (head) coach a game.

As an analogy, Wanny was a big time winner and point preventer at Ok St, the U, and USC. And like it or not, he was still the best head coach the Dolphins has had since Marino left.

Comment by wbb 08.21.12 @ 2:11 pm

rayhpgh–there wasn’t more than a game or two last year where Pitt was behind at the half. In fact Pitt led in the 3rd quarter in nearly every game. Last years problems had more to do with holding leads rather than needing to come from behind. Without Graham’s hurry up offense there would have been a more rested defense and that plus some old fashioned ball control and needing to worry about coming from behind in the 4th quarter probably wouldn’t have been a problem to begin with.

Comment by pitt1972 08.21.12 @ 2:21 pm

A little timely Q & A…

1) Will Tino play every down this year?

2) Can Trey Anderson be counted on to be ready to go when called?

Apparently not

3) Will Chad Voytik be redshirted?

You’ve got to be kidding

Comment by PittofDreams 08.21.12 @ 2:42 pm

Couldn’t agree more Reed. We’re saying the same thing ultimately. I’m not pushing for Voytik or any specific QB – I only want the most servicable option on the field at all times.

FTR, although Voytik and Chapman share similar ratings, they are completely different style of QB. Similar HS systems but different strengths (from what appears to be).

Anyone under center needs the line to perform well, stay healthy and be consistent. That is the foundation (for me) of wins this year.

I’m (hoping for) looking at a 8 win season as the measure for success…AND as you mentioned – stability.

HTP

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.21.12 @ 2:46 pm

I’m so excited I just peed a little!

Comment by Jeff 08.21.12 @ 4:06 pm

Rev. George, are you out there? I miss reading your thoughtful (and calming) posts.

Comment by nev 08.21.12 @ 4:12 pm

Anyone at Pitt who can answer this?:

Will the athletic department be doing anything to get people excited/encourage attendance at the game? Are there any pep rallies for students or fan nights before the season starts?

I know they’ve done a great job online, but are they doing anything on campus?

Comment by A 08.21.12 @ 4:27 pm

It is rather sad that we discussing the most important position on offense – QB – and all we want right now is servicable. If Pitt is going to be a good team again, we need a good college QB. The QBs are out there; Pitt just needs to recruit them. Servicable is for your 2 worst OL.

Comment by Rayhpgh 08.21.12 @ 4:28 pm

I can feel the vibe on this blog. The natives are getting restless. There is a palbable energy apparent, you can smell the ozone in the air, ARE WE READY FOR SOME PITT FOOTBALL OR WHAT!?

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.21.12 @ 4:45 pm

Wanny was the best coach at Miami since Marino retired — exactly, and didn’t work out so great for him there either. The man is a good DC — at all the schools you mentioned, but was a slightly better than average HC (7-8 wins/year in college; 9-10 wins/year in pros). After six years, Pitt decided, rightfully, it wanted more than slightly better than average.

I still maintain with Wanny as DC and Walt as OC, Pitt could have been dynamite this past decade…oh well. We’ll see what kind of HC Chryst is but I get the feeling he’s gonna be good.

Comment by Matt N. 08.21.12 @ 4:50 pm

Everybody needs to just take a chill pill on the back up QB matter for the immediate future. Remember Chad Voytik has been in a Pitt uniform for just over two weeks! Can you remember when you were a freshman, just getting your feet under you at Pitt?

Give the kid a chance to catch his breath and move into the dorm at least before you anoint him as Pitt’s starting QB for God’s sake.

When I was a Pitt freshman, I didn’t even know where all the good bars were yet two weeks into the semester. It takes time, its a process. I’ve heard that stated before by someone in the know.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.21.12 @ 4:53 pm

Oh, ya, Dr. Tom, I am pumped. I am pumped for Pitt, pumped for college football in general, love it!!!

Comment by Dan 08.21.12 @ 5:57 pm

does anybody know how many games someone can play (if any), before they can be redshirted?

Comment by goalie44 08.21.12 @ 6:07 pm

Blatherers. Here’s a little time waster for you for the next 10 days or so:

link to whyfordesign.com

Courtesy of me.

Comment by cnorwoodaz 08.21.12 @ 6:10 pm

I am hoping that Chryst is willing to give Voytik a chance if he earns it…which is different from Wanny in that regard. Wanny would never entrust a Freshman QB with the reins when he has a 2 yr starting senior QB that can “manage the game” for him.

Comment by BurghGuy68 08.21.12 @ 6:13 pm

goalie44–its zero unless it is a season ending injury redshirt–then its a couple of games–maybe three max, I believe. I am sure someone who knows more can give you a precise answer.

Comment by pitt1972 08.21.12 @ 6:46 pm

Dan Bylsma addresses Pitt FB…totally different attitude by HCPC embracing Pittsburgh not rejecting it like the Desert Devil Dog!!!

Comment by markp 08.21.12 @ 6:49 pm

BurghGuy–your opinion has nothing factual to support it. You may be right; but, there is no history in the Wanny era of any younger QB (mainly because Wanny was never able to recruit a great QB) who wasn’t the starter actually being more talented than the older guy guy who started. So, we will never know what Wanny would have actually done if he had a great FR or Soph QB waiting in the wings.

Comment by pitt1972 08.21.12 @ 6:52 pm

Thx pitt72.

Comment by goalie44 08.21.12 @ 7:12 pm

I knew where the best bars were 2 days in!!
S. Oakland – Calicos, S.O.D(Now Bootleggers), Mad Mex
Campus – Peters Place, Zelda’s CJ’s, The Attic, Hemingways.
N. Oakland – Mitchell’s, Luna, Chiefs!!!

Oh, the good ole days!!!

Comment by Conservative Panther 08.21.12 @ 8:17 pm

Chiefs! Where $5 could get you drunk on pony glasses of Iron City drafts not to mention the great bar eats, filling up on the huge dill pickles and hard boiled eggs.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.21.12 @ 8:22 pm

ESPNU has BE Preview show as I speak. Pitt seems to be an afterthought so far. Likely a result of our ditching the conference.

Coach’ll show ‘em.

Ray Graham to be interviewed later.

A

Comment by steve1 08.21.12 @ 8:24 pm

OK, we’re having a good 4th Q. David ? says Tino and Coach are success factors.

Comment by steve1 08.21.12 @ 8:43 pm

Well, well it seems the early reports that Chad Voytik had no passing or QB skills were erroneous.
And that his 4 star ratings had to be in error as well. Well maybe that was incorrect too !

How about that… he can throw off the run, who would have thunk it. Even Marino wasn’t too good outside the pocket. Maybe if Chad got more 1rst team reps it would speed up his progress, ya think.

Well it not’s going to happen as long as Sir Tino is on the team. As we all know, even he can talk back to the coaches(apparently he already has to PC), get away with it(more than several times), and never a thought of benching is discussed. We already got the “Tino has had 3 OC’s swan song poor kid article” from Zeise before he left. So we’re all prepped for another mediocre season with excuses built in already. And now we’re hearing Youngstown State is a lot better than normal, so that when we’re only up 10-3 at halftime or 7-0, well u know. The Penguins are better than normal and this is a new offensive system. And oh my it’s his 3rd OC in 3 years.

But as Matt N. said :
Comment by Matt N. 08.21.12 @ 2:01 pm

The big difference here being…. Russell Wilson actually has talent !

Comment by Emel 08.21.12 @ 8:53 pm

Herbstreit picks Pitt to win Big East.

link to espn.go.com

Check out the “Herbie Awards”… interesting list..

Comment by Joe D 08.21.12 @ 9:25 pm

imma man, give me a break. 1) 6 wins doesnt even get pitt to a bowl game again 2) throwing voytik in there without being ready would be detrimental t his career and pitts future success. other than 2013 where pitt will have tom savage, voytik will likely be pitts starter for 2 or 3 years. are you willing to throw him out there unprepared to likely ruin his development and force pitt to rely on travon chapman who will be a rs freshman??? thats just stupid. now, if as sam werner put it, a seizmic shift takes place and in these last few days voytis surpasses tino, i will trust chrysts judgement there. but, uuuuhhhhhhhh it wont happen

Comment by pk 08.21.12 @ 9:26 pm

Thanks Emel — nice to hear another objective voice. Contrary to what most pro-Tino voices seem to think, folks like us really do want Pitt to win, regardless of who the QB is. Just make it a fair competition, that’s it.

Comment by Matt N. 08.21.12 @ 9:33 pm

Bottom line is PITT is a very mediocre 14-12 in the you know who era. And when you factor in, of the 14 wins, 3 were against Division 1AA schools, New Hampshire, FIU and Maine (he was so bad he got benched in that one), that makes us 11-12 against D1 opponents. And in the worst BCS conf to boot.

The only positive is….PITT fans are now quite knowledgeable of and can find their way around Birmingham, Alabama quite well. :-)

But hey, you know who, gives us OUR BEST CHANCE to get back to the infamous and more than likely future to be, defunct BBVA GyroCompass Whatever Bowl !! (who knows maybe lightning will strike and we’ll end up in St. Petersburg for whatever that Bowl is called this year)

Veritas et Virtus

Comment by Emel 08.21.12 @ 9:36 pm

It’s funny, when Trey was thrown out there in Game 2 last year as a walk-on true freshman, there was no consideration given that he really shouldn’t be put out there so soon, before he’s ready. As it might ultimately stunt his development.

Yet he performed very good and led PITT to 10 points in the 4rth quarter, and those 10 points turned out to be the decisive points in the close win against Maine. After Sunseri threw 2 picks in the 3rd quarter.

He was thrown back out there again, on the road in a hostile environment, against Rutgers after Sunseri flopped yet again, yet there was no consideration given that Anderson was a true freshmen walk-on playing in his 2nd quarter of action and 1rst quarter of action against a D1 team. Only that he was not a D1 QB and he was even smaller than Sunseri. Same thing against Utah on a very windy day at Heinz after another Sunseri flop of a performance.

Strange how these considerations are given to some but not to others, isn’t it ?

Comment by Emel 08.21.12 @ 9:51 pm

Dan, Yes and Rick Trocano was a really good college quarterback. However Jackie Sherrill, wasn’t afraid to play feshmen, when they showed the necessary abilities. He played Hugh Green and Dave Logan as freshman as well. If you remember at the end of that season, Dan Marino got hurt and Rick Trocano started and led Pitt to a big lopsided win in their Bowl game.

Comment by Justinian 08.21.12 @ 10:01 pm

Two in a row…..

Sam Werner reporting that CV looked good for a second practice in a row….

link to blogs.sites.post-gazette.com

Now I’m not going to be in the camp that says start CV right away. BUT, I would LOVE to see him continue to improve until he gets to the point that PC just has to get him on the field. Keep up the stellar play, become more consistent, know the playbook, and have the game slow down. Then CV can start to push Tino for playing time.

If nothing else, I hope this is a good sign for what CV can do for us in the future.

11 days left, just can’t wait!!!

Comment by ME 2001 08.21.12 @ 10:44 pm

So it’s 28 -10 Youngstown State in the late third quarter and Tino has 2 picks and has run out of bounds twice on 3rd and 2, behind the line of scrimmage….Coach Chryst makes a decision to go to Chad V and Pitt wins the game and never loses another! Chryst coach of the year…Tino never sees another down.

OK, I can dream can’t I??

Comment by Dan 72 08.21.12 @ 11:33 pm

Also, Luna and Peter’s here. Had sex with a Carlow girl in the old amusement park behind the Luna…a bar fight when I walked in with a Tie on …Pitt 72 may have been there. Chiefs scared the hell out of me!!

Comment by Dan 72 08.21.12 @ 11:36 pm

At Chief’s Norm would give you your change in snacks!

Comment by Houston Panther 08.22.12 @ 12:17 am

I remember coming back to the ‘burg on my spring break and drinking green beer left over from St. Patrick’s Day at the Decade…and that poster of JoePa they had in the back, where someone gave him a word bubble: “I’m Armenian!” Hilarious.

Comment by Matt N. 08.22.12 @ 1:16 am

I finally got to see the Canton induction speeches by Doleman and Curtis Martin. Puts Pitt 3rd with 8 HOF selections. It would be nice to get a debate on whose next in the NFL hall. I’m thinking Ruben Brown should be up soon don’t remember when he retired. Also maybe Marty Shcotthiemer as a coach. Never won a super bowl but won a ton of games 6th all time. What do you yinzers think?

Comment by Sean 08.22.12 @ 1:52 am

@ Dan, the reason that Chiefs scared the hell out of you was because of all of the late nite drunk patrons hanging out including those from fraternity row doing their after party bar crawls. I was the third guy from the end of the bar eating a dill pickle.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 7:36 am

The rational mind of PC will take good care of his future QB prospect. Tino’s job will be to play well enough early on to have games in hand by the 4th Q against lesser competition so that Voytik can be inserted for mop up playing time. That is the win-win scenario that would be preferred. PC understands that CV could be just a play away from starting this season.

Then there is the loose-loose one where Tino gets hurt early season and somebody gets thrown out there to do their best. If it’s CV and he’s not ready it could leave a lasting mark on his development.

Somewhere in the middle would be Tino pulls the same old under achievement routine and by the end of the season after Voytik has seen the field a few times, Chyrst is fed up enough with Tino Time that Voytik gets the nod to start.

I hate to admit it, but it just doesn’t make any sense to unseat a fifth year senior with two years experience under his belt if he can at least play AVERAGE. So get used to the idea, unless Sunseri really, really stinks out the place, that it’s going to be “Tino Time” for another season.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 7:48 am

The routine was pretty consistent – Thirsty’s for Thursday night wings and pitchers, Calico’s on Friday, and The Luna on Saturday for crazy dancing and crazy weird people. Chief’s was my beer and egg stop before going to class.

Comment by KeyboardKev 08.22.12 @ 8:00 am

Emel – no one ever said Voytik didn’t have passing skills. What was written at the 1st scrimmage was that it didn’t look like he was up to par.

Obviously, and if you read any other media writers on PITT, Voytik has shown a lot different play now than he was then.

Regarding Anderson’s playing as a true freshman; no PITT fan ever saw Anderson as being a future starting QB for PITT. The feelings about Voytik are obviously different, especially given the circumstance that surrounded the 2007 season and Pat Bostick. We look at Voytik as being a possible multi-year starter at PITT.

Joe D – you are off base with your low opinion of Pat Bostick’s desire for competition. He was a huge competitor and was 100% dedicated to PITT football. Also, DW never had to ‘talk him into’ returning to camp, that wasn’t the problem at all.

Comment by Reed 08.22.12 @ 8:05 am

Nice to see Voytik starting to perform how I thought he would. And to think I had to defend Voytik vs. Mark Myers on here in the Winter.

So my take on the current QB situation is that either you go all in with either Sunseri or Voytik. If you are committed to Sunseri, then you redshirt Voytik unless Sunseri is injured. I don’t think you burn a year of Voytik’s eligibility, if you are only going to play him in mop up duty. Reps in practice will be more important to his development than a few plays in blow out games.

On the other hand, if you aren’t sold on Sunseri and you don’t think he will be the starter the whole year then play Voytik. The offense is already going to be run heavy, so Voytik won’t be asked to do much.

I think the amount of criticism on Sunseri is becoming a bit much. I know I’ve been critical of him and he struggled last year at times. BUT he was 3 plays away from being the QB of a 9 win Big East Champion Pitt team that just installed a vastly different offense that was not changed at all based on the team. And if the Pitt D could have stopped a 1 man UConn team in 2010 then Sunseri would have been the QB of the sole Big East Champion Pitt team. My point is that he isn’t the worst QB ever like some people like to think.

That being said, I’m not really sure which route to go in Sunseri vs. Voytik. I guess that’s why I’m sitting in an office and not a football coach.

Comment by Wardapalooza 08.22.12 @ 8:26 am

somebody asked me yesterday if pitt was ready for the acc, and my response was, not this year cause of the qb play, and i believe that. once tino is gone, we are going to be in a lot better hands and the recruiting of the position seems to further reflect that. you gotta love living in america where only a guy who fails multiple times keeps getting chances to fail some more. i don’t care how well tino does in practices, he has proven in the past that come game day he is nothing more than a choke artist. now if he makes me eat my words on the field this year, i will back off, but i just don’t get it how this guy has plenty of evidence in game tape that he flops, can still be our go to guy. i am hopeful that cv can step up sooner than later and nudge him out. cv seems to be a competitor and also wants to start and not sit. so all this talk about stunting growth playing early is hodgepodge.
and while we are talking about bars, gotta give zeldas some props, many hookups started there and ended up in tower c. including the ultimate hookup in which i met the wife.
i love that we have a community on fans that are so passionate and dedicated to pitt! if any of you travel, lets arrange for some tailgating down here in acc country next year, cause i’ll be first in line for any tickets in the nc area.

Comment by pittisit37 08.22.12 @ 8:28 am

Can’t wait for the season to get rolling so we can see some actual production (or non-production) from the QB spot. This debate is getting way beyond old. Three seasons, three head coaches, three offensive coordinators, only one with Pitt background (Wanny) yet all are involved in some conspiracy to ensconce Tino as QB. Let the games begin!!

Comment by The Turk 08.22.12 @ 8:30 am

Reed,
I stand by my opinion of Bostick compared to Voytik… they are apples and oranges…
Voytik has fire in the belly and is a competitor..
Voytik is more mature and can handle playing time as a frosh and I doubt that will affect his development or mental aspect of his game. Just give him a little play time EVERY game…

Comment by Joe D 08.22.12 @ 8:51 am

Planning ahead, here.

Optimum, my cable provider, doesn’t offer ESPN3. Will Direct/Dish TV cover the YSU game so I can catch it at a bar?

Comment by steve1 08.22.12 @ 9:19 am

@cnorwoodaz, nice countdown!

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 9:29 am

As MarkP suggested above, this is how you build something, by including. Fantastic to see.

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 9:36 am

Anyone remember “Quinques” pronounced Chi chis..accross from Forbes Field. Only place you could drink as an underager.

When Luna’s would get raided for underage drinking, Larry had a trap door behind the bar and would usher each of us out quickly with a bottle of beer in hand!

Comment by Dan 72 08.22.12 @ 10:34 am

Steve1 – espn3 is an online service where ESPN partners with different internet providers to stream games. Just google ESPN3 and you should be able to find it.

Comment by KeyboardKev 08.22.12 @ 11:14 am

I would take Quinques hoagies against Primanti Bros any day!!

Comment by Class of 69 08.22.12 @ 12:27 pm

@Steve1, keyboardkev is correct. I watched a game or two of some other team last year (maybe one or two I had a chocolate chip cookie riding on??)

Picture was fantastic (also depends on your computer) and no charge.

Only problem, sitting at a desk chair to watch, after awhile just not as comfortable as watching in a recliner or on the couch watching your tv.

If you’re in a pinch though, was pretty good.

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 12:43 pm

I remember Quinque’s very very well. I believe the owner was a former city cop and I think he used to get tipped off when the LCB was on the way since he would from time to time pass the word that if you were underage it was time to leave.

I loved both his meatball subs and his meatball bowl (meatballs w/sauce over melted mozzarella) served with a piece of italian bread on the side. i can still taste it!! It was great washed down with those Budweiser long necks he served.

One night I had some fratboy in a coat and tie (and obviously “tripping” in a bad way on some halucinogenic) leap on my back while letting out blood curdling screams while I was standing at the counter just inside Quinque’s front door. I flipped him onto the floor, he got up, eyes rolling and uttering incoherent noises, and bolted out the door. Scared the heck out of me and I wound up staying for several unplanned additional beers to calm the frayed nerves!!

Comment by pitt1972 08.22.12 @ 2:00 pm

Dr. Tom has the right prognosis in respect to Chad. No need to put him in the game unless Tino is hurt or late when Pitt is up on an opponent and the game is at hand. Still Chad has to learn many things but he has the moxie to do it.

Comment by Kenny 08.22.12 @ 2:06 pm

My only alternative seems to be ESPN Gameplan, but I can’t find its schedule. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Comment by steve1 08.22.12 @ 2:28 pm

@ Wardapalooza, would you mind explaining your “all in ” argument on selecting the starting QB before the season even begins. I just don’t understand your logic, no matter which QB would be your pick at this juncture.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 5:01 pm

Anybody remember the old after hours place on Baum Blvd, call The Travelers Club I believe. It wasn’t far from Thirsty’s or Chiefs, just down the street and hang a right on Baum.

I remember having this one chick in there convinced I was a foreign exchange student from France. And you know the French are supposed to be great lovers. You should have heard my French accent that night, lol :-)

Needless to say the night ended at her place in the Quad.

Those were the days, every night a different bar and a different girl !!

Comment by Emel 08.22.12 @ 11:19 pm