August 21, 2012

Voytik Flashes

Filed under: Football,Players,Practice — Chas @ 10:20 am

You can almost feel the trepidation in the words. The hesitation to publish. The dread at what may come from it. Yet it happened and it must be reported: Chad Voytik had a very good practice.

In his best practice since coming to Pitt this summer, the freshman quarterback showed almost all of the tools that drew the reviews of national scouting evaluators, enticed the last coaching staff, made the current staff want to keep him in the recruiting class, and had Pitt fans excited.

On display Monday night was an impressive combination of pocket presence, arm strength, accuracy, speed, downfield awareness while rolling out, and an ability to throw on the run. And the key word there was the adjective:

Impressive.

Oh, god…

THATSIT!!!!!!!!!!!THATSWHATWEVEBEENWAITINGFOR!!ITELLYOUTINOISDONEITSVOYTIKTIMEBABEEEE!!!!!OMGZOMGSTARTHIMNOWPUTTINO ONTHEBENCHTHISISWHATTHETEAMNEEDSCANNOTWALLOWINMEDIOCRITYANYLONGER!!CHRYSTISTHEMANANDHEKNOWSTHATHE CANTPLAYTINOIFHEWANTSTHISTEAMTOHAVEANYCHANCEBUTIFHEDOESYOUCANBETITISBECAUSEOFTHESUNSERINAMEORTHECENTRALCATHOLICMAFIAORSOMEOTHERNEBULOUSREASONTHATHASTINOSTILLSTARTINGOTHERTHAN HEISTHEBESTOPTIONBYNOWTHREEDIFFERENTCOACHINGSTAFFSWITHDIFFERENTOFFENSIVESTYLESTOWARDSQUARTERBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Is that out of the system?

It’s true, Voytik had a very good day. Confirmed by others.

Freshman quarterback Chad Voytik looked like a different player Monday night, compared to the first days of training camp.

Now before Pitt fans start jumping to conclusions and looking for Voytik in the starting lineup Sept. 1 against Youngstown State, I’ll say this: Relax.

Voytik isn’t ready to take over for fifth-year senior Tino Sunseri. He missed spring practice because he was still in high school, and he is not accustomed to playing under center, a fundamental element of Chryst’s offense, although he does use the shotgun at times.

But Voytik looked supremely poised and comfortable in the pocket when Pitt wrapped up the last of its two-a-day practices in the indoor facility on the South Side.

Voytik hit wide receiver Cam Saddler with a perfectly placed pass in the near corner of the end zone and later found freshman tight end J.P. Holtz for a score. A few plays previous, Holtz made a nice catch across the middle when he tipped a Voytik pass to himself while falling to the turf.

It’s also worth noting that in the morning practice he had a bad enough practice that he even took to twitter to vent.

So, one practice bad, the next really good. Is there anything else to take away from this?

ZOMG!!!!!!!YOUJUSTDONTGETIT!!!VOYTIKISTHEMANALEADERHEHADABADPRACTICEANDRESPONDEDTURNEDITAROUND!!!!HESALREADYMOREOFAMANTHANTINOISHISTEAMMATESALREADYLIKEHIMMORETHANTINOHEHASTOBETHESTARTERICANTTAKEWATCHINGTINY–SEEWHATIDIDTHEREITSFUNNYBECAUSEOFHISSIZEANDARMSTRENGTHANDTHEWAYHESHRINKSINTHEGAME–ITISOOBVIOUSANDANYONEWHODISAGREESCLEARLYHASSUCHLOWEXPECTATIONSANDISNTATRUEFANOFPITT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Er, right.

It is encouraging. It is progress. But, progress is not a straight line progression. Step forwards. Step backs.

It’s funny, when Trey was thrown out there in Game 2 last year as a walk-on true freshman, there was no consideration given that he really shouldn’t be put out there so soon, before he’s ready. As it might ultimately stunt his development.

Yet he performed very good and led PITT to 10 points in the 4rth quarter, and those 10 points turned out to be the decisive points in the close win against Maine. After Sunseri threw 2 picks in the 3rd quarter.

He was thrown back out there again, on the road in a hostile environment, against Rutgers after Sunseri flopped yet again, yet there was no consideration given that Anderson was a true freshmen walk-on playing in his 2nd quarter of action and 1rst quarter of action against a D1 team. Only that he was not a D1 QB and he was even smaller than Sunseri. Same thing against Utah on a very windy day at Heinz after another Sunseri flop of a performance.

Strange how these considerations are given to some but not to others, isn’t it ?

Comment by Emel 08.21.12 @ 9:51 pm

Dan, Yes and Rick Trocano was a really good college quarterback. However Jackie Sherrill, wasn’t afraid to play feshmen, when they showed the necessary abilities. He played Hugh Green and Dave Logan as freshman as well. If you remember at the end of that season, Dan Marino got hurt and Rick Trocano started and led Pitt to a big lopsided win in their Bowl game.

Comment by Justinian 08.21.12 @ 10:01 pm

Two in a row…..

Sam Werner reporting that CV looked good for a second practice in a row….

link to blogs.sites.post-gazette.com

Now I’m not going to be in the camp that says start CV right away. BUT, I would LOVE to see him continue to improve until he gets to the point that PC just has to get him on the field. Keep up the stellar play, become more consistent, know the playbook, and have the game slow down. Then CV can start to push Tino for playing time.

If nothing else, I hope this is a good sign for what CV can do for us in the future.

11 days left, just can’t wait!!!

Comment by ME 2001 08.21.12 @ 10:44 pm

So it’s 28 -10 Youngstown State in the late third quarter and Tino has 2 picks and has run out of bounds twice on 3rd and 2, behind the line of scrimmage….Coach Chryst makes a decision to go to Chad V and Pitt wins the game and never loses another! Chryst coach of the year…Tino never sees another down.

OK, I can dream can’t I??

Comment by Dan 72 08.21.12 @ 11:33 pm

Also, Luna and Peter’s here. Had sex with a Carlow girl in the old amusement park behind the Luna…a bar fight when I walked in with a Tie on …Pitt 72 may have been there. Chiefs scared the hell out of me!!

Comment by Dan 72 08.21.12 @ 11:36 pm

At Chief’s Norm would give you your change in snacks!

Comment by Houston Panther 08.22.12 @ 12:17 am

I remember coming back to the ‘burg on my spring break and drinking green beer left over from St. Patrick’s Day at the Decade…and that poster of JoePa they had in the back, where someone gave him a word bubble: “I’m Armenian!” Hilarious.

Comment by Matt N. 08.22.12 @ 1:16 am

I finally got to see the Canton induction speeches by Doleman and Curtis Martin. Puts Pitt 3rd with 8 HOF selections. It would be nice to get a debate on whose next in the NFL hall. I’m thinking Ruben Brown should be up soon don’t remember when he retired. Also maybe Marty Shcotthiemer as a coach. Never won a super bowl but won a ton of games 6th all time. What do you yinzers think?

Comment by Sean 08.22.12 @ 1:52 am

@ Dan, the reason that Chiefs scared the hell out of you was because of all of the late nite drunk patrons hanging out including those from fraternity row doing their after party bar crawls. I was the third guy from the end of the bar eating a dill pickle.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 7:36 am

The rational mind of PC will take good care of his future QB prospect. Tino’s job will be to play well enough early on to have games in hand by the 4th Q against lesser competition so that Voytik can be inserted for mop up playing time. That is the win-win scenario that would be preferred. PC understands that CV could be just a play away from starting this season.

Then there is the loose-loose one where Tino gets hurt early season and somebody gets thrown out there to do their best. If it’s CV and he’s not ready it could leave a lasting mark on his development.

Somewhere in the middle would be Tino pulls the same old under achievement routine and by the end of the season after Voytik has seen the field a few times, Chyrst is fed up enough with Tino Time that Voytik gets the nod to start.

I hate to admit it, but it just doesn’t make any sense to unseat a fifth year senior with two years experience under his belt if he can at least play AVERAGE. So get used to the idea, unless Sunseri really, really stinks out the place, that it’s going to be “Tino Time” for another season.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 7:48 am

The routine was pretty consistent – Thirsty’s for Thursday night wings and pitchers, Calico’s on Friday, and The Luna on Saturday for crazy dancing and crazy weird people. Chief’s was my beer and egg stop before going to class.

Comment by KeyboardKev 08.22.12 @ 8:00 am

Emel – no one ever said Voytik didn’t have passing skills. What was written at the 1st scrimmage was that it didn’t look like he was up to par.

Obviously, and if you read any other media writers on PITT, Voytik has shown a lot different play now than he was then.

Regarding Anderson’s playing as a true freshman; no PITT fan ever saw Anderson as being a future starting QB for PITT. The feelings about Voytik are obviously different, especially given the circumstance that surrounded the 2007 season and Pat Bostick. We look at Voytik as being a possible multi-year starter at PITT.

Joe D – you are off base with your low opinion of Pat Bostick’s desire for competition. He was a huge competitor and was 100% dedicated to PITT football. Also, DW never had to ‘talk him into’ returning to camp, that wasn’t the problem at all.

Comment by Reed 08.22.12 @ 8:05 am

Nice to see Voytik starting to perform how I thought he would. And to think I had to defend Voytik vs. Mark Myers on here in the Winter.

So my take on the current QB situation is that either you go all in with either Sunseri or Voytik. If you are committed to Sunseri, then you redshirt Voytik unless Sunseri is injured. I don’t think you burn a year of Voytik’s eligibility, if you are only going to play him in mop up duty. Reps in practice will be more important to his development than a few plays in blow out games.

On the other hand, if you aren’t sold on Sunseri and you don’t think he will be the starter the whole year then play Voytik. The offense is already going to be run heavy, so Voytik won’t be asked to do much.

I think the amount of criticism on Sunseri is becoming a bit much. I know I’ve been critical of him and he struggled last year at times. BUT he was 3 plays away from being the QB of a 9 win Big East Champion Pitt team that just installed a vastly different offense that was not changed at all based on the team. And if the Pitt D could have stopped a 1 man UConn team in 2010 then Sunseri would have been the QB of the sole Big East Champion Pitt team. My point is that he isn’t the worst QB ever like some people like to think.

That being said, I’m not really sure which route to go in Sunseri vs. Voytik. I guess that’s why I’m sitting in an office and not a football coach.

Comment by Wardapalooza 08.22.12 @ 8:26 am

somebody asked me yesterday if pitt was ready for the acc, and my response was, not this year cause of the qb play, and i believe that. once tino is gone, we are going to be in a lot better hands and the recruiting of the position seems to further reflect that. you gotta love living in america where only a guy who fails multiple times keeps getting chances to fail some more. i don’t care how well tino does in practices, he has proven in the past that come game day he is nothing more than a choke artist. now if he makes me eat my words on the field this year, i will back off, but i just don’t get it how this guy has plenty of evidence in game tape that he flops, can still be our go to guy. i am hopeful that cv can step up sooner than later and nudge him out. cv seems to be a competitor and also wants to start and not sit. so all this talk about stunting growth playing early is hodgepodge.
and while we are talking about bars, gotta give zeldas some props, many hookups started there and ended up in tower c. including the ultimate hookup in which i met the wife.
i love that we have a community on fans that are so passionate and dedicated to pitt! if any of you travel, lets arrange for some tailgating down here in acc country next year, cause i’ll be first in line for any tickets in the nc area.

Comment by pittisit37 08.22.12 @ 8:28 am

Can’t wait for the season to get rolling so we can see some actual production (or non-production) from the QB spot. This debate is getting way beyond old. Three seasons, three head coaches, three offensive coordinators, only one with Pitt background (Wanny) yet all are involved in some conspiracy to ensconce Tino as QB. Let the games begin!!

Comment by The Turk 08.22.12 @ 8:30 am

Reed,
I stand by my opinion of Bostick compared to Voytik… they are apples and oranges…
Voytik has fire in the belly and is a competitor..
Voytik is more mature and can handle playing time as a frosh and I doubt that will affect his development or mental aspect of his game. Just give him a little play time EVERY game…

Comment by Joe D 08.22.12 @ 8:51 am

Planning ahead, here.

Optimum, my cable provider, doesn’t offer ESPN3. Will Direct/Dish TV cover the YSU game so I can catch it at a bar?

Comment by steve1 08.22.12 @ 9:19 am

@cnorwoodaz, nice countdown!

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 9:29 am

As MarkP suggested above, this is how you build something, by including. Fantastic to see.

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 9:36 am

Anyone remember “Quinques” pronounced Chi chis..accross from Forbes Field. Only place you could drink as an underager.

When Luna’s would get raided for underage drinking, Larry had a trap door behind the bar and would usher each of us out quickly with a bottle of beer in hand!

Comment by Dan 72 08.22.12 @ 10:34 am

Steve1 – espn3 is an online service where ESPN partners with different internet providers to stream games. Just google ESPN3 and you should be able to find it.

Comment by KeyboardKev 08.22.12 @ 11:14 am

I would take Quinques hoagies against Primanti Bros any day!!

Comment by Class of 69 08.22.12 @ 12:27 pm

@Steve1, keyboardkev is correct. I watched a game or two of some other team last year (maybe one or two I had a chocolate chip cookie riding on??)

Picture was fantastic (also depends on your computer) and no charge.

Only problem, sitting at a desk chair to watch, after awhile just not as comfortable as watching in a recliner or on the couch watching your tv.

If you’re in a pinch though, was pretty good.

Comment by Dan 08.22.12 @ 12:43 pm

I remember Quinque’s very very well. I believe the owner was a former city cop and I think he used to get tipped off when the LCB was on the way since he would from time to time pass the word that if you were underage it was time to leave.

I loved both his meatball subs and his meatball bowl (meatballs w/sauce over melted mozzarella) served with a piece of italian bread on the side. i can still taste it!! It was great washed down with those Budweiser long necks he served.

One night I had some fratboy in a coat and tie (and obviously “tripping” in a bad way on some halucinogenic) leap on my back while letting out blood curdling screams while I was standing at the counter just inside Quinque’s front door. I flipped him onto the floor, he got up, eyes rolling and uttering incoherent noises, and bolted out the door. Scared the heck out of me and I wound up staying for several unplanned additional beers to calm the frayed nerves!!

Comment by pitt1972 08.22.12 @ 2:00 pm

Dr. Tom has the right prognosis in respect to Chad. No need to put him in the game unless Tino is hurt or late when Pitt is up on an opponent and the game is at hand. Still Chad has to learn many things but he has the moxie to do it.

Comment by Kenny 08.22.12 @ 2:06 pm

My only alternative seems to be ESPN Gameplan, but I can’t find its schedule. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Comment by steve1 08.22.12 @ 2:28 pm

@ Wardapalooza, would you mind explaining your “all in ” argument on selecting the starting QB before the season even begins. I just don’t understand your logic, no matter which QB would be your pick at this juncture.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.22.12 @ 5:01 pm

Anybody remember the old after hours place on Baum Blvd, call The Travelers Club I believe. It wasn’t far from Thirsty’s or Chiefs, just down the street and hang a right on Baum.

I remember having this one chick in there convinced I was a foreign exchange student from France. And you know the French are supposed to be great lovers. You should have heard my French accent that night, lol 🙂

Needless to say the night ended at her place in the Quad.

Those were the days, every night a different bar and a different girl !!

Comment by Emel 08.22.12 @ 11:19 pm