August 8, 2012

Get Back

Filed under: Football,Players — Chas @ 8:50 am

There’s always that moment in the narrative of a football player returning from injury. When he takes that first hit, knows his injured limb/tendon/ligament/muscle can take it. When he clears that mental hurdle. There’s something to be said for that.

Still, with Ray Graham it should be more about being able to plant, cut, spin and move. This really is about knowing the physical possibilities. His replaced ACL in his right knee needs to be able to take the stress of that. Graham, his coaches and teammates need to see it. More than any hit, they need to see that happen.

It happened.

Graham, who participated in every drill today including the team periods, had one play where he planted his foot, made a cut and ran into the open field. As he turned around, he had a huge smile on his face, as if to say “I’m back.”

It was a big step forward from the way he played Monday as he didn’t participate in team drills and was a bit hesitant to make cuts and change direction.

That should be welcome news for Pitt fans as, when healthy, Graham is one of the best running backs in the country, and obviously a very important piece of the Panthers’ offensive puzzle.

After practice, Graham was all smiles and said that he felt a lot better than he did Monday and said he will continue to get stronger and more confident each day.

“I played with more confidence today, I went out there and just didn’t think about things,” Graham said. “The more I stretched, the better I felt and I just went out and played. The first day was a test day, just trying to see how I feel and I feel as though I am progressing as the days go on. And hopefully day three will be even better than day two. I just need to get better.

“I definitely felt a lot better, my knee is going to be sore after practice anyway. But when I made that move, I cut on my leg, it felt good. And I got tripped up earlier and I fell on it but it didn’t hurt at all.

“So this is a confidence thing, it is a mental thing and like I said every time, the more I don’t think about it and just do it, the better I will feel.”

It’s huge. I have no doubt there will be some days in camp where it will seem Graham takes a step back. The knee will hurt more on one day, and worries will flare. He is trying to get back to playing condition. He is trying to shake the rust off to regain the instincts and and knowledge of his body.

But it is a significant step forward. Something his coaches acknowledged, even as they did what they could to down play it.

Running back coach Desmond Robinson liked what he saw from Graham, but he will defer a final evaluation until later in camp. “It’s still early,” Robinson said. “I don’t want to say too much too soon.” Coach Paul Chryst appeared to like what he saw from Graham, but he was reluctant to get too excited. “He made a nice half-speed cut,” he said. Of Graham’s effort, he said: “It is gaining confidence in what you can do and knowing what you can do. If we can just keep moving forward, that will be good.”

Then there is the new toy in the sandbox. Rushel Shell.

During non-contact drills, Shell has caught the eye of running backs coach Desmond Robinson, a former Pitt linebacker who played on the 1976 national championship team with another Hopewell grad, Tony Dorsett. Robinson is understandably reluctant to make the inevitable comparison.

“I don’t know if it’s the same kind of player,” Robinson said. “I just know they are from the same (school) right now.”

After practice Tuesday, Robinson was asked to forget Shell’s past and judge the freshman back just on what he has shown in the first two days.

“I would be very impressed,” Robinson said, “because he understood the offense just in the short period of time we’ve given it to him, better than I expected.

“I would have been impressed no matter what kid it was. The other thing is he has the great work ethic and also he has the skills.”

Sounds like the entire package, but Robinson will wait before nominating Shell for All-American.

“He needs to just learn the full system, and we have to see how it looks like in pads,” he said. “We all look real good in shorts, the whole team we look better in shorts than we do in pads sometimes.”

The theme from the coaching staff does seem to be downplay the individual expectations. Not poor-mouth the kids or say they are not that good. Nor is it to downplay the team expectations or nitpick the problems. It is to keep perspective.

I will say, Shell already has his cliches down cold.

Shell said he knows plenty of expectations have been heaped on his shoulders but doesn’t feel more pressure than any other freshman. He said his focus is on improvement.

“I just have to come out and work hard every day and know that the guys, my teammates, are going to push me to get better every day,” Shell said. “I want to prove to coaches that they can trust me, that I am more mature than other kids my age. Now that I am here, it is all about football.

At the start of camp, at least,  Isaac Bennett has become the Jan Brady of the running back corps.

Does Jan Brady have any eligibility left?

Comment by longsufferingpittfan 08.08.12 @ 10:00 am

Sounds exremely positive Chas and thanks for the update. Coach Chryst did indicate the cut was at half speed, although it may have been in gest or not. Regardless, it is still early and we can only hope for continued health for all the young men as depth is an issue across the board!

Also saw that Dorian de-committed from his original choice, which was long overdue, but encouraging. Coach has kept that door open which is another positive. Keep up the great updates!

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.08.12 @ 10:05 am

At running back they should be in good shape, with Graham, Bennet and Shell and the best part is that they are all different. Let’s hope the big uglies up front do a good job and stay healthy.

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 10:13 am

I think it might be a little soon to declare Isaac Bennett Jan Brady, but I totally get it. If Graham is even close to 100% and Shell is as advertised in pads (NOT shorts), he certainly looks to be the odd man out. I just hope that he if he does get pushed down the depth chart he doesn’t go all Mark Meyers on us.

I also think that everyone needs to temper excitement about Dorian Johnson’s decommit….if we still had Bostad, maybe it would be different but I have a feeling that Bostad’s absense had at least something to do with Johnson’s decision.

Comment by BCPITT 08.08.12 @ 10:46 am

No, he won’t be Jan Brady. Isaac Bennet has shown his worth and he will get anple playing time regardless. From everything I’ve read, Paul Chryst likes to use multiple backs. Considering that Ray Graham is comming off ACL surgery, you really don’t want to over work him. Russel Shell is a freshman and new to playing in college, so this could be a bit of a transition year for him. I expect we will see all three playing a good bit.

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 11:21 am

BCPItt, Yeah but he can’t go with Bostad without playing in college for at least 3 years. Hopefully Pitt is one of the options he’s considering. Considering the prospects at Pitt for immediate playing time, it’s really something he should think about. Also Chryst’s offence, with the way he to run the ball should be another positive.

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 11:28 am

Dorian Johnson decomms! Put the hooks back in the water!

Comment by SilverPanther in NYC 08.08.12 @ 11:40 am

The Jan Brady crack has to do with attention received than value or how much Bennett will contribute.

Graham is a stud in the present. Shell is a big name recruit just starting out. Bennett is the one in the middle.

Comment by Chas 08.08.12 @ 11:42 am

Regarding Dorian Johnson… he tweets “We are Penn State” right after the NCAA issues its ruling and… now… he decommits.

Maybe there’s a reason PC was reported to not have recruited him very hard?

As for Shell… the kid came across well in his first interview in a Pitt uniform.

See him becoming a bigger part of the Chryst offense sooner than most think.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.08.12 @ 12:19 pm

Seems like RB is the least of Pitt’s worries. Fraud was big on Malcolm Crockett and he’s not even in the mix anymore and the same thing with the other speedy recruit that played some last year. If Graham returns to form quickly and Bennett improves a bit is there much chance this is a redshirt year for Shell? If not, I see some of the RBs from last year transferring. Maybe not a big deal, since we haven’t seen much of them, but possibly a very deep corps of RBs.
Wish I could even begin to say the same for QB and OL.
Maybe its just the time of year, but I’m getting very excited hearing about the overall team D. Wonder how many wins we can steal by pitching shutouts. With clue-less Tino at the helm I fear 6-0 or 6-3 wins and low scoring losses.

Comment by Taxing Matters 08.08.12 @ 12:27 pm

I don’t think Shell will redshirt. Too many carries in the PC offense.

Comment by HbgFrank 08.08.12 @ 12:35 pm

Tin the trib, Dorian Johnson is quoted as saying he has interest in Pitt, West Virginian and Ohio State and would like to visit Virginia Tech in September. He said that the teams are in camp right now and he doesn’t want to bother them. Athe moment he’s more concerened about focusing on his senior season.

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 1:00 pm

Shell is much more likely to have an instant impact in the Chryst offense than he is to even be considered for a redshirt.

Very similar in size, speed and running style to Maurice Clarett.

Could only hope to see the same kind of performance from Shell his freshman year… although unlikely with a healthy Graham and Bennett getting carries.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.08.12 @ 1:19 pm

I’m sorry, back to Toad Graham and his latest video on what happened at Pitt.

Here he bitches about Pitt’s athletic department, “people unhappy with administration.” Clearly aimed at Steve with a potshot perhaps at Nordy. Can anyone substantiate or is he just blowing hot exhaust?

Plus he says the good players liked him, the ones who didn’t play didn’t. Classic narcissism.

link to foxsportsarizona.com

My last Toad Graham comment, I promise!

Comment by steve1 08.08.12 @ 1:36 pm

Good news on RB front — really hoping for Graham that he gets back to near what he was…an amazing back. Nice to hear from the Zeise report that Tino, after five years, is still struggling with his downfield accuracy. My only comfort is that Chryst, after steamrolling the Big 10/11 for 44 pts/game, will have little patience for a pop-gun QB who invites 9 men in the box with only the threat of a three yard swing pass to stave off a full scale defensive jail break.

Other than Wilson, most of his QB’s have not been bombers, but at least they provided a reasonable downfield threat. Anderson, Voytik, get those arms loose boys…see you in game three or so.

Comment by Matt N. 08.08.12 @ 1:36 pm

PC has split 500+ rushes among two or three running backs the past several years (three 1,000 yard rushers in 2010). Assuming the OLine is up to the challenge, there should be plenty of rushes to go around for all three. Very promising.

Comment by cnorwoodaz 08.08.12 @ 1:41 pm

PC is recruiting kids with attitude as much as ability. Kids can have close to equal ability but it’s their attitude that makes them great. Dorian doesn’t have the attitude that PC wants. It’s obvious the tweets Dorian made after the sanctions now he decommitts. Lt him go elsewhere it’s obvious he lacks commitment.

Comment by DJS 08.08.12 @ 1:43 pm

There is absolutely NO WAY in the world that Shell doesn’t see significant playing time this year with the exception of injury.

This player will be going away in three years to the NFL. Use him NOW!

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.08.12 @ 2:42 pm

DJS – Attitude is everything.

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.08.12 @ 2:42 pm

Just wanted to give a shout out to Chas and Reed and all the guys on blather. After suffering through some tough posts on another board, its refreshing to be amongst other knowledgeable Pitt fans.

h2p

Comment by Famous Amos Hall 08.08.12 @ 2:59 pm

But, attitudes can get adjusted. Pitt needs Dorian.

Comment by TX Panther 08.08.12 @ 3:04 pm

I do think Shell will play some. However, there is a lot more to playing RB than running the ball. If a freshman or any player for that matter can’t figure out blocking schemes and picking up blitzes he is not going to play. Especially in a play action offense.
That being said, I hope he is smart and tears it up.

Comment by notrocketscience 08.08.12 @ 3:05 pm

A two star with a great attitude and aptitude will test out as a 4 satr when all is said and done. A four star that is lazy and not committed will be a two star when all is said and done. That is why coaching influence is so important.

Can we all agree that Coach Chryst is really doing well for a coach that is 0-0 in collegiate games. He is undefeated and unscored upon. Geezums fellers, let’s support the program instead of tearing it down.

My only other thought is that I agree with Fraud about Smiley Steve. So we had Wanny who didn’t care for his administration, heywood who wasn’t here long enough to understand the dude and Graham who also mocks Steve. That to me is the biggest problem with PITT Football, not Pittsburgh. They need to generate excitement, and as some have mentioned, have a throwback jersey! I am sick of watching highlights of games on espn and thinking it is pitt being abused, just to fond out it was Purdue or some other stinking similar looking uniform type team. Get an identity PITT!! Mustard is where it’s at.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 08.08.12 @ 3:16 pm

I always like Jan the best. Especially when she started wearing those sexy glasses. lol

She had that Sarah Palin thing going on, way back in the early 70′s. Eve Plumb was a trendsetter !!

Comment by Emel 08.08.12 @ 3:33 pm

No worries please over Isaac (Hayes) Bennett (which he should go by btw), PC had 3 RB’s one year at Wisky with over a 1000 yards rushing (or the 3rd guy was like at 950 yds, whatever, same thing)

We’ve always had a stable of RB’s in the past at PITT, as we are the place to become a NFL running back. Curtis Martin’s HOF speech was incredible!

Congrats to Curtis & Chris Doleman for being the latest 2 PITT PANTHERS inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame !!

Comment by Emel 08.08.12 @ 3:39 pm

Oh I just remembered this, I use to date a girl just like Marsha Brady,……she was just as insufferable as well.

Pretty enough…..but truly insufferable !

Comment by Emel 08.08.12 @ 3:43 pm

Interesting…Zeise called JP Holtz a “man child.” And he’s only a freshman. He certainly has the size.

Comment by Get the Glory 08.08.12 @ 3:47 pm

When it’s 7-3 PITT at halftime of the YSU game, and a cavalcade of boos echos thruout Heinz.

Does it then become Trey Time ??

Just askin (not wishin) :-)

P.S. >> Is there anyway we can make a massive alumni donation to the NCAA thru back channels to get Savage eligible for this year ?? (joke NCAA)

Comment by Emel 08.08.12 @ 3:49 pm

Steve, That Toad Grahm video is incredible! I never realized that Pitt had so many problems and so many problem players. Plus the poor country boy having to contend with all of us, we should throw him a pity party at Heinz Field. If I ever have to sell a junk car, I would want Toad Graham to sell it for me. He said it was a mistake and I have to agree with him. It was a mistake of Pitt to hire him. Talk about a softball interview. I think the reporter was tossing up powder puffs

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 4:33 pm

Justinian, are you serious??? Pitt had a Huge PROBLEM last season. Lets all just be greatful that it’s now Arizona State’s problem this season.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.08.12 @ 4:41 pm

Dr. Tom, You’re absolutely right my sympathies go out to ASU fans.

Comment by Justinian 08.08.12 @ 5:40 pm

I betcha Toad asked for around a billion dollar recruiting budget and Steve laughed him off.

And he probably wanted another half billion to keep on churning out vanity plate videos like this one and the ones he did last year.

Yes guys, ASU’s gain is ours as well.

Comment by steve1 08.08.12 @ 5:51 pm

Just seeing the pictures of slime ball Fraud Graham wearing our beloved Pitt colors is insulting. Never thought I would root for Dick Rod but I certainly will at least once a year.

Comment by Outlaw 08.08.12 @ 6:29 pm

Oh no, bad news. Dokish reports that OL Ricketts is out for the year with a shoulder injury.

Comment by steve1 08.08.12 @ 6:44 pm

Think ASU fans and admins are wondering why Fraud spends so much time talking about Pitt?
Every time that boy opens his mouth he loses cred.
Let’s see what camp brings but football is almost certain to produce injuries and we need to test our guys with that in mind.

Comment by SFPitt 08.08.12 @ 10:21 pm

Sucks for Ricketts and Pitt. We need depth on both lines. That’s all Chryst should focus on in recruiting going forward this year. Now I know what an upper body injury is as first vaguely communicated by Pitt regarding Ricketts.

Pitt students should hand out fraudulent dollar bills with Grahams devilish grin so we can all burn them during tailgating. I would pay a dollar to burn one of those. Or to wipe my ass.

Comment by TX Panther 08.08.12 @ 10:35 pm

Rarely will Pitt or any school offer a reply to a comment made by a former coach.
Not this time.
As per EJ Borghetti, Frauds’ credibility issues have been well documented.
Hail to Pitt for publicly calling him a liar!

Comment by SFPitt 08.09.12 @ 4:45 am

Great idea with the Graham dollar bills.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.09.12 @ 7:58 am

Dorian Johnson choosing between Ohio State, V Tech and Pitt. I would say Pitt is a long shot.

Comment by Coach Ditka 08.09.12 @ 8:04 am

The denomination of those bills should be $3.00 just to insure that everyone realizes they are as fraudulent as the guy’s picture on the front of the bill is.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.09.12 @ 8:13 am

Haven’t posted in a while so a few random thoughts:
1. Graham is Graham no one really believes the guy anymore
2. I’m more likely to be named starting QB at Pitt than Rushell Shell is going to be redshirted. He’s a prime time RB and Chryst loves running the ball.
3. Mark Myers transfering basically confirmed what I was arguing about him for months on here.
4. Dorian Johnson’s final two schools were PSU and Pitt, so I’d say Pitt has a great chance. It isn’t like Va. Tech and OSU weren’t recruiting him before.
5. Pitt script. Yes, it is cool. Yes, I own a bunch of it. But the whole thing is so overplayed with Pitt fans.
6. Pitt will win a minimum of 9 games this year.

h2p!

and

Comment by Wardapalooza 08.09.12 @ 8:23 am

Outlaw and Dr. Tom, I m disappointed with the two of you for suggesting that Pitt print up $3.00 bills with Todd Graham’s picture on them. That would be disrespectful to the nation and our monetary system. I think his picture on toliet paper would be more appropriate.

Comment by Justinian 08.09.12 @ 8:44 am

latest Nit defection (even with the name on the uniform) link to lancasteronline.com

I remember he seriously considered Pitt back in 2010 despite living in Blue-White territory but suppose we would have heard something if he was coming our way

Comment by wbb 08.09.12 @ 8:46 am

A bit of news from the Graham interview that’s been overlooked.

When being scrutinized by the reporter for his departure from Pitt, Graham attempts to deflect pressure by mentioning what until was not known… the fact that it was Keith Patterson who drove him to the airport the morning he snuck out of town for Arizona.

Graham again follows the pattern of throwing others under the bus… this time a person who had been a loyal friend going all the way back to their college days.

This is exactly the same as when he threw Tino and the receivers under the bus when being pressured to explain last season’s losses.

This certainly exposes some bad blood between Graham and Patterson.

This might go back to Graham convincing Patterson to come to Pitt in the first place.

At the time Patterson had a five year contract that would have eventually guaranteed he and his family liftime medical benefits… not to mention the fact that Patterson might have ended up being head coach at Tulsa.

But for Todd the Fraud, “It’s about relationships.”

Comment by PittofDreams 08.09.12 @ 9:02 am

Choosing Pitt would make a lot of sence for Dorian Johnson. Given the lack of depth on the offensive line, he could get playing time much earlier, possibly as a freshman. That won’t happen at Ohio State or at Virginia Tech for that matter. Getting to play early is a much bigger deal than many young players realize. At Pitt he could have the opportunity to be playing for 4 years verses 1 or 2 at a program like Ohio State. Also in Paul Chryst offence, they run the ball a lot and operate out of more of a pro-style which should be appealing to an offensive lineman. I think those are compelling arguements. Dorian, if you’re reading this, you should come to Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 08.09.12 @ 9:02 am

Justinian,

AND we are now down a lineman…another element to consider.

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.09.12 @ 9:37 am

Any word on uniform tweeks?

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.09.12 @ 9:44 am

@wbb:

Royer is just leaving the football team. He’s going to stay in school at PSU:

link to centredaily.com

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 08.09.12 @ 9:52 am

Pitt is it, Hopefully they will throw the all white “Penn State imatation” uniforms in the trash bin. I’m ok with any variation of Blue and Gold, even with the white shirts, but the all white uniforms have to go. If I’m not mistaken, Blue and Gold are still the Pitt colors.

Comment by Justinian 08.09.12 @ 9:52 am

Agree the all white uniforms have got to go.

They’ve been a jinx.

I believe they have only been worn once in a big game when the team won… other than that all losses going back to Wanny and the first time they were worn in a loss at Morgantown.

That’s what you get for messing with tradition.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.09.12 @ 10:33 am

Pitt is it, Royer is only a redshirt soph yet plans on graduating in May .. one less scholarship player with 3 years elgibility remaining.

Comment by wbb 08.09.12 @ 11:17 am

I have noticed our head coach wearing white hats and shirts, like he was still at Wisconsin. Hope he switches to blue and gold soon.

Comment by Houston Panther 08.09.12 @ 12:03 pm

Houston Panther, The players need to take Coach Chryst to Peterson Events Center to pick up some Pitt gear. I’m sure if he walks in, they’ll give him a good deal

Comment by Justinian 08.09.12 @ 12:16 pm

Dear Pitt Administration,

If you want to improve the game day environment at Heinz Field, then please consider the following:

(1) Natural grass is very nice. Looks great. Smells good when you cut it. However, when you have an NFL Team, a Division 1 College Team, and a few High Schools playing games there each year, the natural grass becomes a problem. If you had a state of the art artificial surface, then you could have full and colorful field signage for both the Steelers and Pitt. The first thing a fan should see when they come from the tunnels to their seats is a giant, colorful PITT logo on the 50 yard line and full, colorful Pitt signage in the end zones. I’ll let others debate if it should be Block or Script!
(2) We play in a stadium that has bright yellow as its primary color, yet we do not have that color in our uniforms. We all know, we did at one time. which leads to:
(3) To paraphrase one of Ronald Regan’s famous quotes: Mr. Pederson, tear down those generic ND uniforms! Go with a uni that compliments the staduim we play in and our history. The early 80′s uni with the yellow and royal blue would do nicely.
(4) As many on here have posted, devise a system for parking that allows those who which to tailgate to have preference to the remaining outdoor lots. Yes, this means doing away with the donor based parking. Hint: Those donors paying big bucks to park in Gold Lot 1 are very likely the same people that are not showing up for most of the games. You are killing the game day atmosphere to raise a few bucks!

Comment by HbgFrank 08.09.12 @ 12:39 pm

The Rooneys are in control of Heinz Field. They have been asked several times about changing the grass field to some type of precription turf, but have resisted and stil prefer to resod every late November.

The deal is that Pitt controls the practice facility while Steelers control Heinz .. but before you complain, please note that Pitt lockerroom is bigger than Steelers (college teams are bigger) and ‘Panthers’ appear at Heinz as much as Steelers. The Great Hall is not all Steelers; in fact, it is pretty well split up in main corridor but the HOF section behind the small section of garndstand seats are all Steelers.

Comment by wbb 08.09.12 @ 1:03 pm

HbgFrank,

Solid points on all accounts.

One comment, though: To your first point, I’m not sure how much leverage Pitt has on the grass vs. Fieldturf debate at Heinz Field.

The wear and tear on the grass field has been an issue since Heinz was opened. The breakdown of the field usually by early October has resulted in Heinz typically being regarded among NFL players as one of the worst fields in the league.

I believe the issue has been raised with the Rooneys directly in the past, but they’ve insisted that they want to stick with the grass field.

I’m with you, though. I’d much rather see FieldTurf there. I’m as much of a throwback guy as anything but in this case, I think both teams would be better served by going with the FieldTurf.

Comment by Stoosh 08.09.12 @ 1:08 pm

@ Justinian, Lots of good thoughts you put out there. I also HATE the all whites, not a fan of the all blues either but the White uniforms are just too ugly. Plus they remind of penn state, ugh!

I totally agree about Johnson’s opportunity to play early here at Pitt. PC should be talking to his Mom right now, since her desires will be a major factor in the kids decision on where he goes. I’m still not sold on the rumors of her wanting to keep him away from “the big city” and all of it’s negative influences. If true however. It’s time for PC and Co. to talk up all of the positive attributes of Pitt and it’s urban location, which of course far outweigh the negative. Fact is you can find trouble anywhere, if you’re looking for it.

Lastly, Hate to mix sports with politics, but if another round of quanitative easing takes place by the Fed, US currency and toilet paper will both be valued about the same so who cares which one you wipe your a$$ with. I’d prefer Fraud Gramham not looking at my a$$hole anyhow however, simply because he doesn’t deserve the opportunity, due to his low moral character.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.09.12 @ 1:15 pm

Dr. Tom, All very good points, particlarily those about what we choose to wipe with.

Comment by Justinian 08.09.12 @ 2:45 pm

The obsession with Dorian Johnson (a 17 yr old kid) is over the top. It is creeping me out! Is this a PSU blog? :-)

Comment by notrocketscience 08.09.12 @ 3:54 pm

Hey fellow Panthers..I just made a Public Service announcement for PITT on that link that wbb posted
above:

link to lancasteronline.com

If u can get on there and give me a thumbs up, lol
Maybe we’ll nab a few recruits that are hedging.

Comment by Emel 08.09.12 @ 4:11 pm

@ notrocketscience

Weren’t ppl obsessed with the Painting of Dorian Gray. lol

Must be the first name that does it. :-)

Comment by Emel 08.09.12 @ 4:14 pm

On the Uniform front, as that appears to be the topic of the day.
I wasn’t thrilled with the ALL Whites, but they make Sir Tino appear not as slow footed as he is, so they grew on me.

IMO it was more an imitation of Texas’s all whites than Pedo State’s since we had stripes down the pant leg and names on the back. Neither of which the Creepy Valley boys have. And I can’t believe the powers at PITT would want to imitate ANYTHING emulating (incubating) out of Creepy Valley.

We can truly thank the big PITT fan in the sky, that they had the sense not to be intimidated by the Rooneys, the Pedo State filled local media and even some in the PITT community (oy vey) that lobbied hard for Tom Bradley as HC. What a mess that would have been.

Back to the Uni’s, I say keep the same gear as last year for this our FINAL season(and Sir Tino’s) in the BigLeast. Now when we make our debut in the ACC next year, with a brand new QB and new opponents, that would be the time to go back to our incredibly good looking uni’s(and that includes the Script naturally) that are associated with our latest sustained period of greatness. Which also produced our latest National Championship and so many Hall of Fame and great NFL & college players !!

Why wouldn’t a University want to keep that link from our great football past and all the tradition that morphed from it with those Uni’s and the Script??

I think we really need to get organized between now and the Summer of 2013 and make it happen !

Veritas et Virtus !

Comment by Emel 08.09.12 @ 4:33 pm

Finally Home Game environment.

KILL THE GD MUSIC (NOISE) THEY PLAY AT EVERY TIMEOUT OR DEADTIME.

It totally kills any spontaneous cheering.
In fact it’s so freaking loud you can’t even chat with someone next to you, without screaming at them. What in the hell is wrong with these ppl?

Does PITT have anyone in charge of molding, creating a good college game type atmosphere for the people in the stands ???

It does not appear to me. But I will volunteer for the job. lol
They just need to pay for my travel expenses.

They will see good examples of a college football game experiences when we travel to FSU, Clemson, UNC, VA Tech, UVA, NC State, GT & some others.

All they have to do is pick up some ideas from those game day environments. This isn’t rocket science !!! ( i mean how many years have we been going to South Bend) sheesh

Comment by Emel 08.09.12 @ 4:44 pm

I’m guessing the powers that be believe the major market niche is Pittsburgh city dwellers, Pitt grads/fans or not. (See ” My City, my Pitt” or whatever the darn jingo.)

Thus the decidedly non-college football experience at Heinz.

Comment by steve1 08.09.12 @ 6:26 pm

Been to a game at cincy, they do not pump music and artificial noise like Heinz. Pitt needs to stop trying to produce an NBA game and realize it’s college football.
By the way….. Field turf and the script!!

Comment by John 08.09.12 @ 6:59 pm

Jan Brady would tell Bill O’Brien to f**k off too.

Comment by geeman2001 08.09.12 @ 8:35 pm

Pitt-Iowa is on the Big Ten Network. Weird. Remember when Todd Graham was our coach?

Comment by Chris 08.09.12 @ 10:01 pm

Been to a few games at Clemson. People arive at 7am for a noon game and stay until midnight. Most have satellite dishes and watch game day followed by games all day long. What a party! When I first went to a game I saw a sign posted as 50 lifetime parking pass for $25,000 available. The next year there were 8 passes left. They typically get about 90,000 for a game. They go to the game and leave their dishes and big screen TVs out and then return after the game. Could you see that happening around Heinz; the TV, chairs, satellite would be gone befor the end of the first quarter. Great game day experience and would suggest anyone to go and have a great time. They also let everyone on the natural grass field after the game to interact, catch football etc.

Looking forward to traveling to ACC games.

Comment by JP 08.09.12 @ 10:31 pm

Emel and Steve are right. For Chryst’s sake kill the blaring music in between plays, tape Joe distios mouth shut or cut his tongue out and STOP with the My City shit.
Pittsburgh has 10 people left in it. Would Coca Cola only market Atlanta?
There are some things the Pitt should outsource ..gameday and marketing are two areas where they flat out suck donkey sticks.
But hey, I’m just a paying customer, WTF do I know!

Comment by SFPitt 08.09.12 @ 10:42 pm

Hmm, I actually like the My City promo, even though I don’t think it has much of an impact either way. Unless you think it’s keeping a 12 year old in Philly from becoming a Pitt fan…..

Agree about most of the music. Would prefer to see the band play more of the music.

Gameday atmosphere is fine – when the stadium is near capacity. That’s the bigger problem, by far.

Comment by originalether 08.10.12 @ 7:45 am

I think it has been 15 years now with the same basic uniform. That includes the hideous Panther head on the helmet years. The colors have pretty much stayed the same so I don’t think they are going to change and they really are pretty cool now. Actually, that may be the second longest uniform run in Pitt history, gaining ground on the old script so they have built a little history.
I don’t have time…someone compare the winning percentage in both uniforms. I think the new ones come out on top. Yikes.
I never heard anyone say they weren’t going to a Pitt game because of the field surface, loud music or the uniforms.
Lets face it. This is not a school that is in the middle of no where with no pro teams around.
Name a school in a urban environment, that shares the city with pro teams and draws like crazy. I can’t but welcome suggestions.
That is who Pitt needs to simulate.

Comment by notrocketscience 08.10.12 @ 7:48 am

Just win. That’s a more pleasant game day experience than losing. Parking at any stadium sucks. Pitt has a few passionate fans but for the most part we can’t compete against Clemson fans because there are no Pro teams in the entire state of SC. I wish it were different for us but it never has and never will so we make the best of it. Wish we had more traditions. Wish we had more places to tailgate. Wish Pitt script could be sprayed at mid field and end zones. Indifferent about the music. Old coots that say sit down need to be shot. Heinz is still much better than old Pitt stadium but it was easier to spend the entire day on campus leading up to the game and afterwards…because the stadium was on campus. That created something special that is lacking today. Not sayin build an on campus stadium. That would not be practical. That would not help them win. Skimpier cheerleader outfits maybe?

Comment by TX Panther 08.10.12 @ 7:55 am

@ TX Panther, THANK YOU!!!!! I was starting to think that I was the only Pitt fan left that actually CHEERED and got excited about attending the Pitt games LIVE. Back when we were playing Cincy for the BE title at our last home game of the season, I was berated by a few “old coots” for standing and cheering the Panthers on during the initial plays. I almost got thrown out of the place for refusing to sit down. WTF is wrong with these people? Not to mention ther priorities of the security staff. And we wonder why the game day atmosphere is less than electric at Heinz Field. Look in the mirror first Pitt Fans to answer that question.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.10.12 @ 8:48 am

I was listing to Chris Doleman this morning on the Fan. He is an articulate well spoken guy. They were talking about Pitt and the number of Pitt guys in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the pride involved. Chris stated that when he gave his acceptance speech, he thanked Jackie Sherril, Foge Fazio, and Joe Moore, who recruited him and encouraged him. He went on to say that they told him if he worked hard, he would be one of the guys playing on Sundays. Dolman finished his interview with a “Hail to Pitt!”

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 9:30 am

SFPitt, Some years back, when Steve Pederson dropped “Pitt” from all the sports gear and insisted that everyone refer to the university as Pittsburgh, I couldn’t believe it. Yes we were coming off several poor seasons, but the university had a great tradition and “Pitt” was the “Brand.” UCLA isn’t refered to University of California Los Angeles, and Uninversity of California Berkley is known as Cal. Thank god that Wanny brought back some usage of Pitt. Now if the national sports media at ESPN could again start refering to the sports teams as Pitt, instead of Pittsburgh, that would be appreciated.

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 9:47 am

At A&M, the fans stand for most of the game. They also sway back and forth at the conclusion of the 3rd when they sing that song about cutting the horns off Texas. I learned that you can yell louder when you stand and crouch over a bit from a few of my Aggie friends. Nobody is yelling at you to sit down there. They want you to stand up and CHEER! It’s a more fun game experience when the fans are involved. If you aren’t going to get involved, you might as well stay home and watch the game on TV.

Comment by TX Panther 08.10.12 @ 9:51 am

Chryst well familiar with the best party atmosphere for college football.

Comment by PittofDreams 08.10.12 @ 10:14 am

Good article. Notice the schools that participated all have the same problem.

link to sports.espn.go.com

Comment by notrocketscience 08.10.12 @ 11:07 am

Sorry, I failed to mention that I totally agree with the approach mentioned in the above article. I am not in Sales but I deal with Sales professionals all the time and listen intently when they discuss strategy.
Pitt is failing to be aggressive as far as getting out there and actually selling. From what I see, the approach is advertise and sit back and wait for fans to come to us. They need to hire some people to go out and sell.

Comment by notrocketscience 08.10.12 @ 11:16 am

Justinian…..I am in full favor of “Pitt”. The brand was not the problem before, the product was.
No we have diluted the brand and our product.
There was no need to sacrifice the brand name.

Comment by sfpitt 08.10.12 @ 12:28 pm

PITT does need to over haul their marketing strategy. Call the Pirates == they somehow kept people coming to PNC Park. Juice fire burning desire!!! Lets fry some penguins & barbacue the bearcats. 2-0 to start the season & 7-1 going into the ND game! Hail To PITT!!!!!!

Comment by DC33 08.10.12 @ 12:48 pm

As an “Old Coot” and a supporter of Pitt Sports
for nearly 50 years I resent the attitude of some who suggest that I remain home if I am unable to stand at a game. There is something to be said for
fan loyalty. I’ve witnessed my share of losses and believe me there were many. When I was a student at Pitt our football team had a grand total of 3 wins (Dave Hart/Carl DePasqua era). Regardless I attended all of them! So my reward for loyalty is a slap in the face??

Comment by Class of 69 08.10.12 @ 1:43 pm

I live almost within the shadow of Byrd Stadium at the University of Maryland. It’s the same issue here, even though Byrd is actually on the campus and not shared.

UMD football is barely in the top ten of sports interests in the Baltimore-Washington area. In Pittsburgh, what is Pitt football, maybe fifth in the pecking order?

Same in any pro-sports town. It won’t change, that’s just the way it is. There are other things to do.

So no point in stressing. Given the recent doings at State Penn, maybe it’s for the best. It’s called having a sense of perspective.

Comment by BATR 08.10.12 @ 2:24 pm

DC33, But who want to go through 20 consecutive losing seasons first?

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 2:25 pm

Its due to dollar hotdog nights, bobble head promotions, and consumption of Iron City in the ballpark. If Pitt discounts bad food, gives out crappy items and allows beer sales, people will come and forget that the Pitt product is mediocre.

Comment by TX Panther 08.10.12 @ 2:43 pm

Just Win Baby! If they win, they will begin to fill the seats again. Anytime you’re in a major city with pro teams, there is competition for the entertainment dollars. The Peterson Events Center does pretty well for Pitt basketball. I remember in the 80s I was always able to get individual game tickets at the old Fitsgerald Field House. When you win consistantly, you build a following, and going to the games becomes an event again.

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 2:57 pm

Justinian is absolutely right. There are thousands of fair weather Pitt fans in Pittsburgh that would gladly come out to see the Panthers if they were pereceived as winners and there was some excitement being generated in da Burgh because Pitt was moving up in the polls and putting W’s in the record. Everybody loves a winner.

So I totally agree, just “win baby win” and watch those ugly yellow seats fill up.

Now if you additionally enter beer into the equation, well sir, that becomes even a more enticing premise for those marginal type fans to come out to Heinz Field, especially if the beer is preceeded by the word “cheap”. I sure don’t have any problem with that concept. Beer was included in my diet as a basic food group when I was a student at Pitt so it’s a fit for me while attending the Pitt games. I don’t see it happening though with this current Pitt administration.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.10.12 @ 3:36 pm

I wasn’t necessarily talking about give aways but more on PITT & PITT Tradition. Sell PITT not MY City. How wonderful would it be to drive to a new Dorsett Stadium w/tons of parking/tailgate & a nice logo on the 50. Now all i need is Bill Gates type money & a place to build.

Comment by DC33 08.10.12 @ 4:08 pm

Here’s an analogy for you (it is not intended to be a KNOCK on the Chevy Volt)….

Selling Pitt Football to the unwashed masses is kind of like selling a Volt.. Last year it was new and shiny.. It goes really fast, and we want it to go fast. At least the salesman said so! But it only goes fast until the battery runs out. Yeah, but we saw that the battery runs out in 45 minutes, and we need it to go 60 minutes. But the salesman says, but thats what the gas is for. Yeah, but the car HESITATES on gas! The salesman says – You need HIGHER OCTANE! and the gas pedal needs changed and everyone who has one just doesn’t know how to drive it, they’re too slow!

Then everyone says.. this isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, or at least not what we were promised! Let’s ask the salesman… What saleman? He’s sellin’ something else now. But he promised us, Didn’t he?

So now we’ve got a new redesigned vehicle to sell, not dependent on High Octane fuel, hot air and we’ve lost some of that ELECTRICITY.

No one is looking for a salesman now. They are looking for evidence that the redesigned car is not built on smoke and mirrors, but really can take us ‘down the road’. When it proves itself, like Pitt Basketball, then it will become a destination on Saturday. Nothing really can be done to pack them in until the fan “Wants To Be There”.

Comment by CompLit 08.10.12 @ 4:11 pm

P.S. When Pitt Football becomes a destination on saturday, then the program will be successful and game times will take care of themselves cause Pitt will again be in the spotlight!

Comment by CompLit 08.10.12 @ 4:23 pm

I agree with whoever mentioned that Wanny was mainly responsible for bring the PITT brand back! If nothing else we owe Wanny many cudos for this, as nitwit Pederson had almost totally destroyed it and would have, had he not gone to Nebraska and destroyed their football program.

He was gone just long enough for Jeff Long to hire Wanny who insisted we are PITT, not Pittsburgh.
Just as Justinian mentioned would anyone have the gall to change UCLA to Los Angeles or Cal to Berkely or the University of California. Or more locally how about the Pennsylvania State University.

That was just incredible that Smiley was allowed to do that all by himself !! The hell with Mike Ditka, Joe Schmidt, Fred Cox, Marty Shottenheimer, Johnny Majors,Rod Kirby,Tom Perko, Larry Swider,Billy Daniels, Bruce Murphy,Gary Burley, Carson Long, Karl Farmer, Gordon Jones, Tony Dorsett, Matt Cavanaugh, Al Romano, Jim Corbett, Dave Logan, Tom Yewcic, Don Parrish, Elliot Walker, Bobby Haygood, Randy Holloway, Jackie Sherrill, Bob Jury, Randy Ruetershan, Rick Trocano, JoJo Heath, Rooster Jones, Willie Taylor, Larry Sims, David Trout, Hugh Green, Al Chesley, Ricky Jackson, Bill Mass, Carlton Williamson, Lynn Thomas, Dan Marino, etc., etc.
(this only represents players who played for PITT not Pittsburgh until roughly 1979) (the list for the great players of the 80′s is 2 times as long btw)
Yes the hell with all these players & coaches who played with PITT on their helmets and 95% of the ones mentioned Pitt Script and the Royal Blue & Mustard Yellow/Gold uniforms.

Just incredible that anyone would be stupid enough to throw away all this past glory because “I” knew better. Yes a enlarged groundhog on the helmet and PITTSBURGH across the front of the shirts.
I know better and I will remake Pitt’s image in my image. And my image includes a Groundhog helmet and insisting the media call us Pittsburgh.

Give anyone a $100 million dollar gift, and yes an incredibly nice basketball arena can be built.
Albeit at the expense of the on campus football stadium. Because if the PITT brand means nothing to me (SP), than who cares about a place called PITT stadium.
And in fact if we’re going to rename, rebrand the whole sports program to Pittsburgh, we have to demolish anything with PItt on it. Including Pitt Stadium !!

Because I know better !

P.S. It’s Hail to Pitt ! (not Pittsburgh)
P.S. Again thank you Wanny for Bringing PITT back to PITT and exterminating the Groundhog, to bad you lost out in the power struggle with the idiot.

Comment by Emel 08.10.12 @ 4:42 pm

Im enjoying all of this banter, but where are the summer camp updates?!

Comment by Pitt it IS 08.10.12 @ 5:01 pm

Go Emel! I loved your rant!

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 5:02 pm

Sorry for the walk down memory lane guys/girls (do we have any female bloggers?).

I wasn’t in Pittsburgh in the mid 90′s when this crap went down and never got to vent/opine about the above issue.

It just blows my mind that this clown we have as an AD still has a job. (not to even mention the last 18 months coaching circus and all the incredibly bad decisions made there.) Other than some bureaucrat would anyone still have their job after all that !

Veritas et Virtus !

Comment by Emel 08.10.12 @ 5:05 pm

As a post scrip I would like add the words of former Pittsburgh sports commentator John Steigerwald, about Pederson dropping Pitt for Pittsburgh.

“Anybody who went to Pitt, grew up in the city, or lived within a 100 miles, never called it anything but Pitt.”

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 5:12 pm

Summer Camp Update for Pitt it is:

Tino more accurate
Ray more limber
Chryst more involved
Linebackers more athletic (code word for, the white guys are gone)
Harper more length
Huxtable more excited
WR’s more experienced
O-line more of the same

Zeise’s kid got an offer

More at 11

Comment by Emel 08.10.12 @ 5:27 pm

Happy Hour beckons, and to all a Good Evening !

(can’t believe it’s Friday already, it must really go fast when ur ……say 70)

Comment by Emel 08.10.12 @ 5:31 pm

Friday practice from the Trib Review.

link to triblive.com

I’m getting out the scotch.

Comment by steve1 08.10.12 @ 5:50 pm

I’m glad Wanny is gone but I’m also glad he brought Pitt back.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 08.10.12 @ 6:00 pm

I’m old school in age and philosophy..Pitt script, mustard and blue..The only drawback is that it does not just affect football, all sports teams, facilities, also have to change.

Comment by goalie44 08.10.12 @ 6:38 pm

Outstanding!, Emel.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Digdug 08.10.12 @ 7:04 pm

Oh, and I attended Pitt in the 90′s, and we dubbed that hideous thing on the side of the helmet “The Rabid Beaver.”

Comment by Digdug 08.10.12 @ 7:12 pm

I love Pitt. That’s my school. Pittsburgh is the city. I’m glad block Pitt is back on the helmets. Let’s do script Pitt for Homecoming and another big time game on TV. Throw us a bone Stevie.

Comment by TX Panther 08.10.12 @ 8:10 pm

None of us knows why Myers left it maybe he simply did not want to put forth the effort. It maybe that Graham’s last joke on us broke his back- to give a scholarship to Anderson who even played to the schools embarrasment and verified his competency level was H.S. (I do not not know him and if he can get a decree at tax payers expense more power to him). Fraud’s last kick in the ass . Perhaps that was what broke Myer’s it would break me.
Since Tino is a senior with 2 years experience a new coach who intends to run the ball would lean toward him over Myers even though Myers’s spring equalled to or surpassed Tino.

As for Myers not being qualified for a division I schloarship that’s nuts:High School: Lauded by Rivals as the top quarterback prospect in the state of Ohio following an exceptional senior year at St. Ignatius…arm strength earned national recognition by the scouting services…was rated No. 4 on Rivals’ “country’s strongest arm” list…named the No. 11 pro-style quarterback in the country by Rivals…threw for 2,127 yards and 20 touchdowns with only eight interceptions during his final season at St. Ignatius…completed 54% of his passes (140 of 261)…selected first team All-Ohio Division I (largest classification)… Northeast Lakes District Co-Offensive Player of the Year…led St. Ignatius to an 11-1 record and the regional semifinals of the Ohio Division I playoffs…played under Coach Chuck Kyle…selected to play in USA Football’s “Team USA vs. The World” game, which matched USA Football’s 2010 Junior National team (45 of the country’s top high school seniors) against a world team comprised of 45 of the best players aged 19 and under from eight other countries…also selected to play in the Big 33 Football Classic…a letterman in basketball and track and field. Top Qb in Ohio no schlorlarship offers?
Now thanks to Fraud we have Tiny as a backup. Stay healthy Tino make us proud; turn left and right and hand off

Comment by DRW 08.10.12 @ 8:43 pm

DRW – enough of the Myers accolades.

He didn’t and doesn’t have what it takes to play at the D1 level.

Others knew that before PITT did.

Comment by Reed 08.10.12 @ 10:27 pm

TX Panther,Tossing Thabeets,and Emel, It dosen’t matter to me if its the Pitt script, the curved Pitt, or the straight Pitt, in block lettering, because I like all three. The important thing to,is that is part of our identity and our tradition. It’s part on the university’s athletic history, Pitt coach, Jock Southerland, Pitt over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Yes I,m glad Wanny brought it back.

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 10:30 pm

What i read to day is that tino is still missing the same throws he has missed for the last 3 years .
so he will not be asked to do mutch more then throw short. And some med but no long passes he still has no arm.
So what do we have a QB who cant pass and a QB
who is to short to see over the line men.
I sure hope chryst is a genius and that the RB
are great.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.10.12 @ 11:03 pm

FrankCan, He’s really the only guy who has any experience. Hoefully he’ll have a much better season. Now that Myers is gone, there will be no red shirt for Voytek. So he will be getting reps and we’ll see him on the field at sometime or other.

Comment by Justinian 08.10.12 @ 11:18 pm

Word is Savage is outplaying Tino. Too bad he can’t suit up this year :(

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Digdug 08.11.12 @ 12:13 am

If Trey Anderson as a Panther is an embarassment, what’s that say about your boy who got beat out by him twice?

Considering Wannstedt’s hisotry in evaluating QB’s, thinking that Todd Graham broke Myers’ is comical.

To paraphrase Reed, give it a rest….

Comment by originalether 08.11.12 @ 12:59 am

Now Boys, I see that you were not playing nice with DRW last night, if you don’t play nice, I’ll have to speak to your Mothers.

Comment by Dr. Tom 08.11.12 @ 6:31 am

Steve1. Already ordered my case of makers mark. With Tino and the OL the way it is I’m not expecting anything but heartburn on Saturdays. Wish we had some more/better O-linmen, but that’s not the way it is, gonna be a long time till things get better. I was hoping for some good luck. The Pitt curse continues.

Comment by LUV PITTBULLS 08.11.12 @ 7:42 am

I see it starts already. Word is that Savage is outplaying Tino.

Well word had it 3 yeasr ago that Tino was outplaying Stull. The fact is that Savage is not outplaying Tino or any other QB because he is not taking meanngful snaps … all he is doing is looking good with his strong arm and great height (a la Myers) in passing drills. Remember, he wowed eveyone as a freshman at Rutgers but was beaten out the next year by 6′ Chas Dodd who was much less heralded who in turn was beat out by less hearlded Gary Nova (a one-time Pitt commit) last year.

And BTW, Kyle Bollar who could throw 60 yards from his knees and Raiders’ 1st round pick of about 6 years ago, JaMarcus Russell, are the two most most heralded QBs this millennium when it comes to arm strength …. BFD!

Haven’t we learned anything? Quit living and dying on every sentence you read about presaseason camp

Comment by wbb 08.11.12 @ 8:20 am

Emel,
While i love your posts, I was looking for a little more. Maybe a new posting? Where the hell is Reed? Thought he was “going up there”? Love the banter.

Anyone that is in front of or behind Tiny Tino will out play him.

Comment by Pitt Is IT 08.11.12 @ 10:02 am

Anyone Home?????

Comment by Marco 08.11.12 @ 11:15 am

Some interesting stuff in the Trib about Chryst and Tino :

link to triblive.com

Comment by Panther Pride 08.11.12 @ 11:21 am

just to stir the pot … guess who SI thinks may be a BCS sleeper (BTW, we were 6-7 last year, not 7-5)

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Comment by wbb 08.11.12 @ 12:22 pm

Wbb they were both good college QB what they did as pros is not the point.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 12:34 pm

wbb- Checked out the referenced site expecting to find Gardner Web among the sleepers. Now that would have been a bold prediction.

Comment by dinosaur 71 08.11.12 @ 12:34 pm

We need a new post abought camp .

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 12:43 pm

Temple W
Notre Dame L
Connecticut W
Rutgers L
South Florida L

7-5

Now my prediction if everything goes right (little luck)

Youngstown State W
Connecticut W
Rutgers W
South Florida W

9-3

Comment by Timmeh 08.11.12 @ 12:58 pm

Timmeh i think your 9 and 3 is most likley right
even with tino as QB becuse chryst can coach.

But it could be 10 and 2 i think we beat louisville.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 1:23 pm

A question: Is Brandon Sacco still with the team? He supposedly had his grades back on track and was saying that he looked forward to returning. ??????

Comment by isnore 08.11.12 @ 2:21 pm

I read on one of the Boards that he decided to leave the team. That’s all I have seen. So, he is apparently gone.

Comment by pitt1972 08.11.12 @ 2:24 pm

The last thing i saw he was switched to the d line

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 3:28 pm

here’s a story for you!

link to blogs.sites.post-gazette.com

Comment by wbb 08.11.12 @ 3:37 pm

Sacco is not on roster may be he was mad abought the switch to the D line but he was to small for OL only 265 pounds.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 3:59 pm

Thanks Paul for your work and your talents. May I add I truly hopeto cheer for your son, wearing the Blue and Gold at Heinz. Rev. George in Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 08.11.12 @ 4:02 pm

Paul Zeise is stepping away from covering Pitt since his son got the schollie offer from PC.

link to blogs.sites.post-gazette.com

Looks like it’s Sam Werner with some help from Ray Fittipaldo.

Comment by Panther Pride 08.11.12 @ 4:48 pm

my prediction baced on my ncaa 2013 on xbox, and benching tino is 13-0 and national champions, chryst pulling in a top 10 recruiting class. i can’t tell you how good it was to make tiny’s attributes accurate, which meant he was like 40 overall. no chance of seeing playtime there, too bad “if its in the game, its in the game”

Comment by pittisit37 08.11.12 @ 5:19 pm

Comment by LUV PITTBULLS 08.11.12 @ 7:42 am

Pittbulls, while I think bourbon is a fine option for watching Pitt football games, you need MUCH
MORE Proofage (might not be a word, but it is now) lol…. I say again: you need much more Proofage to watch Tiny play(don’t know if PLAY is the right word for what he does, but we’ll go with it).

Makers Mark is only 80 proof, I would recommend at least 100 proof (knob creek) or optimally a far greater proofage….just to play it safe. Say for example Baker’s at 107 proof or Rare Breed at 115 proof. Both should have you well oiled by Halftime, if you drink fast, end of the 1rst quarter!

And if you really want to make sure ur really inebriated, I highly recommend Bookers at 127 proof or thereabouts. In most games over the last 2 years, the Bookers option works best.

**This has been another in a series of PITT Service Announcements, on how to make games bearable to watch with Sir Tino at QB**

P.S. (watch the complete series on Youtube)

Comment by Emel 08.11.12 @ 6:10 pm

Comment by wbb 08.11.12 @ 6:24 pm

emel, i think i soiled myself.

Comment by Pitt Is IT 08.11.12 @ 6:56 pm

So…do you think that by Monday we may have some new posts on here?

Comment by Pitt Is IT 08.11.12 @ 7:00 pm

Thanks for the link WBB Good stuff. Sounds like we are all starved for camp updates. Could be Chryst is keeping expectations in check unlike the last guy. Like to hear from Reed though. Great stuff last year.

Sounds like the most important need is staying healthy.

Comment by gc 08.11.12 @ 7:57 pm

3 days with out a new post hope reed and chas are ok.
should we send out a search team may be they found some of EMels 127 proof bookers.
and knowing tino was are best chance to win said fuck it and got drunk cant blame them.

Comment by FRANKCAN 08.11.12 @ 8:13 pm

Comment by wbb 08.11.12 @ 9:05 pm

Thanks for the link wbb.

Stars will win you a few games, but good defense will keep you in most games (unless your QB throws pick 6′s).

Our D key is staying healthy thru camp and building depth. Every team has some kind of injury attrition, but luck can play a role. Staying healthy thru camp is pure luck.
Once our season starts, a thin D line can rely on good LB’s and DB’s, but that don’t last forever.
On offense, I see a game plan designed to reduce the possibility of turnovers…called a running attack.
By comparison, it is easier to run block than pass block.
Finally, our kicking game must be superior if we have any hope of winning the BIG EASY. Kicks and coverage both.

Comment by SFPitt 08.11.12 @ 10:23 pm

From what I’ve heard this OL actually run blocks fairly well. Pass blocking is another story.

Not worried about the DL if no one gets hurt. Be nice if a couple highly touted players that are currently backups finally live to their billing.

I’ll go with 9-3 for the season. If I have to guess individual results, I’ll go with losses to Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, and Syracuse (just a hunch on that one). Should be enough for a BCS bid unless Syracuse really surprises.
Agree with whomever here though keeps saying one game at a time.

Reed posted here Friday night, within 2 hours of DRW. I’d wager he’s fine.
Chas, I’d lay even odds he’s been barred from the internet for the weekend.

Comment by originalether 08.12.12 @ 12:50 am

Hey i havent posted in a long time but thought this was funny, i am not sure if anyone has posted this .

link to youtube.com

Comment by FLPOLE 08.12.12 @ 2:29 am

Guys – I attended the scrimmage yesterday so I’ll have two posts up today.

Sorry about not getting anything posted sooner but I drove up & down same day (9 hrs) and was burn out when I got home…

Comment by Reed 08.12.12 @ 8:18 am

Emel,

appreciate the tasting report on the small batch bourbons. I was thinking starting with the new Makers Mark 86, very tasty. Lower proof for the early hotter part of the season. I’ve been a member of the Rare Breed Society for over a dozen yrs, the one thing about Rare Breed is some batches are amazing, even at high proof while some other are merely good/great. Have yet to try Bookers. Late season cooler weather, I will consider a good single malt, heavily peated. I expect Tino ball to extremely challenging so I’m stocking up now. And a public service announcement remember to drink irresponsibly when Tino is playing.

Disclaimer: when watching Tino and drinking irresponsibly, stay safely at home with friends, never drive or operate heavy machinery, or be in the presence of sharp objects or firearms, tasers, bats, etc. that could lead to injuring oneself or others in a fit of Tino frustration. Thank You.

Comment by LUV PITTBULLS 08.12.12 @ 8:48 am

Reed’s report confirms the impressions I have gotten from other print sources. There seems to be plenty of room for optimism and little room for pessimism–at least so far.

Given the description of Shell’s running style, maybe he will play some FB this year?

Comment by pitt1972 08.12.12 @ 7:31 pm