July 24, 2012

Now It Is Just Spiking the Ball

Filed under: Football,NCAA,Scandal — Chas @ 8:58 am

I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on.  I will not pile on…

But they will.

Amen Chas, The NCAA was brutal to what had been one of the cleaner programs in college football. This was a criminal case and not particularily a football issue. When you think of the NCAA you think about recruiting and athletic complience issues. Even in that regard they have a spotty record at best. Heck they let Ohio State play in the bowl game, despite its violations. When you think what routinely goes on in the SEC and other parts of the country. Yes, the Penn State administration, opted to sweep thing under the rug instead of reporting things to the proper authorities and for that, the people involved should be charged. The NCAA is just piling on.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 9:55 am

I hope (unlike penn state)that you did not cheat and then cover up the fact that you used your copy/paste function to type this post. Come clean now or, of course, you realize the future ramifications of your current transgressions once discovered.

Comment by Dr. Tom 07.24.12 @ 10:09 am

In my opinion the main reason they attempted to cover the crime was because of their program and the qualities they represented through Joe, his legacy and football. I know that all actions involved (cover-up & actual crime) include criminality, but those actions of sweeping this under the rug certainly were grounded in protecting the program, reputations of the program and the people/legacies that were built because of football being greater.

Comment by Jason 07.24.12 @ 10:13 am

BTW Justinian, I totally disagree with your assessment of the NCAA’s actions. I feel that they were both fair and appropriate for the magnitude of the criminal acts that occurred which involved the highest level of the universities leadership, both in football and the general administration. And it’s a loooong way from over for these poor bastards. The other criminal trials haven’t even started yet. Stay tuned if you think that they’re piling on already. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Comment by Dr. Tom 07.24.12 @ 10:14 am

No, Justinian, the NCAA doesn’t have a spotty record, they have an absolutely abysmal record.

Amusing yesterday watching Emmert pontificate, knowing he sent Ohio State to the Sugar Bowl because of tv, money and the match up the bowl wanted.

They’re just another dirty group, with a walk in closet full of skeletons.

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 10:31 am

I agree, Dr. Tom. This was a case where criminal acts were swept under the rug in favor institutional and atheltic prestige. While not the typical college atheltics scandal, it still was an instutitional issue. Not a whole lot different than a coach and athletic director pimping out college hostesses to recruits. In this case, the victims were younger, had no choice and weren’t recruits. But the violators were colle representatives.

And this is going to be in the courts for months and years…

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 07.24.12 @ 10:32 am

Does the “U” have a secret weapon? How many more months/years will it take to render a decision regarding the myriad number of trangressions at Miami??

Comment by isnore 07.24.12 @ 10:38 am

Is it September 1st yet?

Comment by H.LandPitt 07.24.12 @ 10:39 am

I brought Miami up because we are going into the ACC and the NCAA (what is this alphabet soup?) is sleeping at the wheel.

The “U” has had outstanding recruiting classes recently and you have to wonder when and if the charges against the ‘Canes will ever be brought to a conclusion.

Comment by isnore 07.24.12 @ 10:42 am

@Justinian–See my long rebuttal to your views in the “culture” blog below this one. I believe your perspective is off and that you still are a mistaken believer in the myth of the Penn State way of “success with honor” which never truly existed.

Comment by pitt1972 07.24.12 @ 10:43 am

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 10:53 am

The NCAA is NOT piling on but they are hypocrites and are NOT clean themselves. There are other investigations currently being conducted, civil suits and other trials to follow. The sh$t is going to get alot deeper.

It is a football issue because football still defines the university. The culture nurtured the silence, the cover-up and unbridled power of the program.

A 4-year death penalty would have killed the cult allowing a new paradigm to form. Pedo State got off easy. The cult is still Penn State.

What routinely goes on at other programs is nowhere near the severity of what went on for over a decade at State Penn.

Comment by TX Panther 07.24.12 @ 10:55 am

@Justinian, to go along with your point.

Someone yesterday brought up the Catholic church priest scandal in comparison to why someone has to pay.

Great point, great point for me that is.

At least it shows I’m consistent with my thoughts.

Never understood why I had to pay, for something some pervert priest did to a little boy in Boston or other places.

Because I go to Mass on Sunday, I have to pay for some freak priests actions??

Throw the freak in jail, throw the priests that covered it up in jail. I’m all for it. Don’t want them in society anymore.

Guess I just don’t get that whole concept.

Actually, I guess you could say I was part of the Catholic “culture”…………..

therefore, I helped pedophilia???

Wow, really???

That’s funny, anyone knows me, knows I think pedophiles should be shot.

Learn something new everyday.

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 10:58 am

The “culture” did not cause those 4 or 5 people to not call police.

Their lack of character did.

Personal responsibility. It’s a dead concept.

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 11:00 am

By the way, I hate Penn State absolutely as much as anyone!!!

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 11:01 am

Pitt1972, I went back and read your comments and I believe everything you said is valid. Early on with this whole Penn State scandal, I had little patience with the Penn State apologists. However, despite that, I was floored by the severity of the penalties. I continue to have a problem with the NCAA pontificating on how they are going to change the culture of college football, while they look the other way with Miami, Ohio State, and all SEC hostesses and other crap thet goes on.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 11:05 am

There comes a time when the chickens come home to roost. I have a fair number of friends that are Penn St alumni. For the most part they are reasonable but there is that little side to them that really identifies them as a “Penn Stater”. They never acknowledge any short coming at Penn State. They never see the world outside of that navy blue hue. They somehow believe that their degree is the equivalent of a Yale degree. They believed that Joe Paterno could do no wrong. They just think of PITT as never being on their level academically or otherwise (despite the fact that arguably Penn St is good at most things but great at nothing. PITT has some great academic institutions (Med, Philosophy) and out ranks PSU in many department nationally). Sports wise we have a top notch Basketball program for which they can not compare. In football we have not had the recent success (perhaps more a result of the perks that go along with conference affiliation) but last I check we had our share of National Championships, players in the NFL, and third on the list of players inducted into the NFL Hall of fame after ND and USC.

You know what they say… sipping wine one day and crushing grapes the next.

Sometimes you just have to spike the DAMN BALL!!!!

Comment by PITT FAN IN ATLANTA 07.24.12 @ 11:28 am

I have never been persuaded by the “let he who is without sin cast the first stone”.

Were that the case, we would all be hapless victims. No one could enforce anything because they lacked the “moral authority” to do so.

We do have courts of law and our organizations do have Constitutions, By-laws etc…

You want stop signs, traffic lights, ….? If not, good luck out there and don’t you dare complain or call the police or ask for public safety of the help of an organization when someone is perceived to have wronged you.

As for me, I live in the real world. If psu or others complain that innocent people are being hurt, then my response is “no kidding”. Let’s start with the victims, then we will move to their families, then let’s move to people who placed faith in Sandusky and Paterno and the 2nd mile. I donated $500 to the PSU Pitt golf outing event they had.
After that, let’s move to the people who without knowledge placed their faith in these people.
Then, let’s talk to the vendors and the employees of the 2nd mile.
No one is taking anything away from a single player!!
They will still get to play their games. Maybe they would have qualified for a bowl game. Is that a right or a privilege? It is a privilege that is being taken away. They have a choice, imperfect choice, but still a choice. They can stay or they can leave but at least they were given the benfit of the facts…
That is the benefit that most of the rest of the world was deprived of having.
Virtually everyone in the psu culture looked the other way when Paterno refused to retire…”more power to him” “if he can get away with it, God Bless him” are but two of the refrains I often heard.
But what about the wimpy Ad and President? Well everyone looked the other way and just shrugged their shoulders. The message was “don’t mess with Joe”.
And no one did.
I don’t cafre if the NCAA is imperfect and I don’t care of they talk out of both sides of their mouths at times.
They have rules and a Constitution and if psu or its friends or its advocates think the NCAA went too far, so be it. Leave and join an organization that fails at nothing because it dare not try.
psu and those who bleed for it on this issue can go screw themselves. Real justice would have them get screwed without their consent and in their new world, there isn’t any police power.

Comment by sfpitt 07.24.12 @ 11:44 am

Dan – as a Catholic myself, parishioners were not part of the culture. The Vatican culture of secrecy and protection of the Church at all costs contributed to the cover-up. I think there are clear differences between the Church and the College.

Most Catholics that I know don’t blindly worship the Pope and Bishops. Most Nitters in the cult made JoePa their God.

Most Catholics I know don’t believe everything the Church supports (e.g. no contraceptives, no death penalty, no women priests, etc, etc). Most Nitters blindly accepted the Grand Experiment as Gospel.

Many Catholics I know left the Church or no longer attend Sunday Mass due to the scandal. Most Nitters will always attend Saturday games and always write checks to support the program.

Most Catholics are not emotionally attached to the Church. They are spiritually attached to God. Most Nitters have an unhealthy obsession with football.

Most Catholics don’t think they are better than other faiths. Most Nitters are annoyingly arrogant.

Most Catholics feel the shame and do not blame the media. Most Nitters want to sweep this under the rug and think it’s US against the world.

Most Catholics believe this was a Church issue. Most Nitters believe it was NOT a football issue.

If a pedo priest came from your diocese, you would have to ‘pay’ because your diocese would have been libel. I know it sucks, but your leaders failed you and that’s the price everyone pays and is the just thing to accept.

I give the Catholic Church credit for implementing some real reforms and structural changes, but it took some brave men to come forward and lawsuits to make it happen. I’ll reserve judgment on Penn State until I see their actions.

Belive me Dan. There are many priests who would like to see those priest pedophiles shot as well. There is still debate on whether the Pope knew any of this. We all know JoePa knew and did nothing.

The cult created the House of JoePa. The cult followed the teachings of JoePa. The cult gave JoePa absolute power. There is a difference between a cult and a true religion.

Comment by TX Panther 07.24.12 @ 11:49 am

We impeached a president for covering up a two bit
burglary for crying out loud!!!

Comment by Class of 66 07.24.12 @ 11:50 am

I found this fan post from a PSU site. I’ve been posting in the past that PSU alum, especially former players, don’t get it. Well here was what I thought was a appropriate response. link to blackshoediaries.com

Comment by Justin 07.24.12 @ 12:02 pm

Don’t know if this link was posted elsewhere on the blog, but the SI cover prompted me to go look at their site. The article speculates on the decisions now facing PSU players and recruits. Of note is the author’s opinion on who will now be snapping up the elite recruits from PA — Ohio State, Michigan, and ND. Not even a mention of Pitt.

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Comment by JCE 07.24.12 @ 12:05 pm

Here is the problem with the writer (black shoes diary) and other Penn Staters… You don’t get to dictate the terms or timing of the dialogue. You lost that right when you professed for decades “success with honor”. No one will fall on the Penn State sword for you nor shield you from your pain. Narcissism eventually catches up with all of us and yesterday it began to catch up with Penn State. I have always said it… those who preach that “they ALWAYS do it the right way (versus others)” will eventually have a price to pay when they fall short.
The writer fails to acknowledge the countless former players, coaches, admin, alumni that trotted out on TV and radio defending Joe Paterno and Penn State at the begin of this thing. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That is what people are pissed about. The failure to “get it” from the beginning. That is the “cult” that people dislike. The unwillingness to remove a symbol of dishonesty (Joe Paterno statue) despite the fact that it was considered by some to be a public symbol of contempt by the Penn Staters.

So while it is apparent that you get it. The reality is that it wasn’t until the NCAA forced you to your knees that you actually got it. That reveals, to many, a true lack of contrition.

Comment by PITT FAN IN ATLANTA 07.24.12 @ 12:15 pm

The actions of Penn S, cannot be compared to the catholic church. The pope is not going to put a church on probation or take away the wine for four years at a specific location. Those actions were 100% criminal and were not covered up to gain favor and money to enhance their standing. Penn State covered up criminal activity to enhance their football program’s reputation, to gain better recruiting advantages by bringing in more money and winning.

I looked at the last two year’s of recruits on campus at PSU and to be candid, they had a lot of three stars, so I don’t see many defections that will come of this. The juniors and seniors will stay unless you are a superstar. Those kids already have their bowl games under their belts. The damage would seem to be coming from RS Fresh up through RS Soph years, but again, they just didn’t bring in the big time recruits, if we are only looking at stars.

The more at risk recruits would be this years verbals because they would not see a bowl game until their redshirt junior or senior year.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 07.24.12 @ 12:17 pm

I think it was Joe Schad that said this. Basically PSU players really are free agents. He said any coach who is interested in a PSU player must contact Obrien and let him know about their interest. 24hrs I think must be given before coach can start contacting current PSU player.

Also, sort of the same idea for current players that want to leave. The current player must let Obrien know his intent to leave. Obrien has 24 hrs to save the relationship before player can start contacting other schools.

Schad said he doesn’t see the head coaches making the call. The assistants will be the ones who will do the dirty work by contacting PSU letting them know they want their LB, RB, Etc. I’m sure the assistants calling tried to recruit the player before he actually signed with and played for PSU.

I would be interested to know what coach has the balls to contact Obrien first to start the raid. I think most coaches will wait for players to contact them. I guess two coaches out there I can see doing this. Saban and Meyer. Petrino if he was still coaching.

Anyone that actually knows the rules to recruiting current PSU players please post.

Comment by why me 07.24.12 @ 12:30 pm

Acquaintance of mine owned a car dealership. Very respected in the community, his busniness very well respected in the community.

He had a program, that if salespeople stayed for 6 weeks, they got a demo vehicle.

One night, one of the salesman went out, got drunk and killed someone. He was in the demo.

Not known to drink, never alochol on his breath at work, however, that one night, he did get drunk, and someone involved in the accident did die.

Along with the driver, the owner got sued. Actually so bad, that his business that he spent over 30 years building, went under immediately.

Lost his business, lost his house. True story, I know the guy.

Innocent people get hurt, just tell him “no kidding”???

Funny thing is, if he had not given this guy a demo (allthough no reason not to), he would have been sued by the guy and the EEO for unfair business practices.

What a country!!! LOL

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 12:31 pm

@ Justinian, just remember, it is NEVER too late to begin doing the RIGHT thing. Pertains to individuals as well as to organizations and institutions, no matter how poorly they’ve acted in the past.

Who knows, maybe this will be a turning point for college athletics being reined in by oversite organizations like the NCAA. So the NCAA finally stepped up to the plate in dealing with this unprecedented situation. Maybe they’ve found their balls,this may help them to deal with other university transgressions definitively as well.

IMO, it is past time to bring back some sanity to this whole out of control mess, termed college football. It is a monster that we’ve created fueled by the almighty buck. Would it be so bad to bring back some integrity to the game that we all love?

Comment by Dr. Tom 07.24.12 @ 12:31 pm

Yes, we do have courts of law.

I thought they were involved??

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 12:31 pm

Maybe we move up the list of NFL Hall of Fame as Curtis Martin is coming followed by Larry Fitzgerald and maybe Revis.

Comment by Frank 07.24.12 @ 12:36 pm

Lost out on a Panther in the NFL.

Aaron Berry cut from Lions for another arrest.
in Harrisburg. Didn’t say what it was for.

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 12:49 pm

According to the Harrisburg Police Department, Berry was taken into custody early Saturday, July 21, on three charges of simple assault. I believe the police found a gun on him.

Comment by why me 07.24.12 @ 12:55 pm

@Justinian–“If you think about it, a major factor in Pitt’s firing of Dave Wannstedt was due to the “off the field” incidents that involved Pitt football players. The university would have probably not pulled the plug otherwise.”

Of course that’s true, but at PSU those same kinds of off-field things occurred and probably with the same frequency as at Pitt and most other football playing schools. The difference lies in that at PSU they were kept secret and hidden by Paterno and staff to protect the “Success with Honor” myth.

Comment by pitt1972 07.24.12 @ 1:12 pm

I really don’t get it…The university, just as any other institution or business has certain responsibilities as a whole to obide by the laws both of our criminal justice system as well as any other group or system in which they actively participate.

Go ahead and ask all the people who have lost their a$$es in this economy and see if they think banks, brokers, mortgage companies etc should not be punished? Just boot the CEO and then it’s business as usual??? I don’t think so.

The institution itself has the duty to police itself and ensure compliance to all rules and laws which apply to them by all forms of governing bodies. You ever hear of the Sarbanes-Oxley act? That was put into place because of companies like Tyco, Enron, WorldCom etc. etc. to FORCE institutional control to protect the innocent. When those companies went under a lot of people lost investment dollars, lost jobs, etc but if you fire some people and give a slap on the wrist it isn’t much of a deterrent.

In a perfect world the firing and trial of those immediately responsible would be enough of a deterrent , but I am guessing that all of us know that we don’t live in a perfect world. People in this world will do any and everything that they think they might be able to get away with in order to give them a step up.

Maybe somewhere accross the country as university XYZ something similar to this comes to light, if the punishment levied on PSU is stuck in that administrators head, maybe he will think “Wow that was hefty, we have to report this stuff immediately and protect innocent children from being raped in the future”….if you fire Sandusky and the president and that is all, maybe the XYZ college admins aren’t as fearful of the potential loss.

If your 10 year old son was one of those boys I don’t think you would be seeing things the same.

Comment by BCPITT 07.24.12 @ 1:13 pm

Penn state got theres and i am glad screw them.
Now i must move on to things that are important
like how many players will penn state lose and
will any go to pitt.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 1:13 pm

not only did they find a gun on him, according to reports, he was threatening 3 individuals with it. Second arrest this off season. He’s done. Surprised he even made it to the NFL.

Comment by Pitt it IS 07.24.12 @ 1:15 pm

Just want to clarify the above post quickly…In any humane person’s head the acts themselves are enough to act swiftly and report, but my point is if they would actually consider covering it up, this might tip the scales back to humane sensibility.

Comment by BCPITT 07.24.12 @ 1:16 pm

Info for you all WR Tyler Boyd says he will go to
wvu or ND so pitt has lost another of thoes
players who were a must have for pitt our coach just cant recruit.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 1:34 pm

This statement sums up nicely the Paterno Family’s press statement releases. Enjoy

link to blogs.houstonpress.com

Comment by TMG Panther 07.24.12 @ 1:36 pm

“it’s like the Corleones dishing out punishment on the Soprano’s” LOL!!

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 1:44 pm

Hey I just want to say that I’m impressed with a lot of the comments on this blog. They are for the most part well stated. After reading some of the comments that taken me to task, I have to admit they are well reasoned positions with a lot of merit. Hail to Pitt, and good work Chas and Reed.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 1:44 pm

Someone please explain to me how any “innocents” at all were harmed by these sanctions?

None as far as I can tell.

That $60M fine can’t be taken from funds that would harm any other PSU sports programs and no tuition will be raised because of it. BTW: Moody’s bond credit review and possible downgrade may impact PSU as much if not more than this NCAA fine. They may not be able to borrow money to pay the coast of the scandal.

The business interests around State College still have their football weekends and will still see sell out crowds.

The 2013 recruits can change their minds and the current players on roster have the option to transfer without penalty. If they choose not to they get an excellent education and play 12 games vice 13. The key point is they have a choice here. If they choose to stay then they accept whatever impacts the sanctions have on the football program. They sure as hell aren’t victims in this.

The scholarship limits don’t harm the players, but do the football team and the program. Of course, playing on a shitty team for four years ain’t pleasant but isn’t harmful.

There was no television ban at all which means the player’s family, friends and NFL scouts are still able to watch them play.

Vacating the wins harms absolutely on one other than Joe Paterno’s reputation which is already in tatters. There is a huge difference between PSU fans being disappointed and being “harmed”.

Finally and most importantly the Penn State administration specifically and proactively allowed this to happen. They sure as hell could have 1) not commissioned the Freeh report which was used as the basis for the sanctions and 2) not signed off on every single one of the sanctions without any possibility of appeal.

I’m sick of people talking about how the NCAA harmed anybody – that is pure bull. They sanctioned the football program alone and, if truth be told, bent over backwards to make sure there wasn’t collateral damage from these sanctions. PSU is to blame here if there is any harm to outsiders, not the NCAA.

‘Piling on”? This remains one of the biggest news stories in a decade and is still ongoing, in truth this may be the tip of the iceberg with PSU. We can’t expect the media to throw up their hands and say ‘That’s the end of it’ when in reality it is still going strong.

Comment by Reed 07.24.12 @ 1:48 pm

Boyd wasn’t a must have Frank, not by any means. It was know he wasn’t going to attend PITT as early as last winter.

Comment by Reed 07.24.12 @ 1:50 pm

Boyd was never ours to lose. Not sure why but really doesn’t matter but every WPIAL player is not ours to lose. Local kids are not going to select Pitt for a variety of reasons whether it be Urban Campus, too close to home. This happens all the time

Comment by giveitarest 07.24.12 @ 1:58 pm

Nothing about Boyd was a shoe-in (see offers from: Arizona, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Penn State, VTech, WVU, Wisconsin…among others). Plus, let’s not get carried away about Chryst’s ability to recruit until his kids actually take the field. In the meantime go ahead and take a look at the high school ‘star’ rankings of current NFL players and see if you don’t scratch your head a bit. You can start with Santonio Holmes, a former 3-star recruit with offers from OSU, Pitt, NCState, and VTech, and those offers only. Then go look at his Superbowl game winning catch. See you pessimists who say Coach can’t recruit on gameday.

Comment by MikePITT 07.24.12 @ 2:07 pm

Frank, Reed, giveitarest et al.

It is also, always useful to remember Pitt has a long history of local talent leaving to get away from home, the urban environment, etc. and one day winding up back at Pitt and contributing when things, for a variety of reasons, didn’t work out quite as they hoped at that out of town school they initially ran off to attend.

Comment by pitt1972 07.24.12 @ 2:10 pm

Just saw this thread on the BWI site ..What should replace JoePa’s statue?

Scary thing is what is listed number 1… A Linebacker U statue (Which Sandusky is given credit)

I don’t have a Rivals membership otherwise I would have posted Pinocchio!

link to bwi.rivals.com

Comment by giveitarest 07.24.12 @ 2:16 pm

You can’t get everybody. You do your best, and you should get your share of the talanted local guys. Some guys want to get away and go elsewhere and some kids come here and fall in love with the city. I think we have a lot to offer, but then I’m not an 18 year old.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 2:18 pm

@FRANKCAN, hang on brother. He hasn’t done bad at all. Still only 7 months in. He has some good players recruited.

Plus, it will be what he does with them.

Foster is still out there too. Got Chapman and Clement.

FRANKCAN, I do agree with you. The stars are not the be all end all. However, you are not going to be a consistent winning program with 2’s and 3’s. Gotcha.

Gotta let him get to know the neighborhood though.

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 2:23 pm

RT @OaklandZoo: Arizona State has an #AskASU hashtag going for Pac12 media day. It’s been taken over by Pitt fans. Highly suggest you read some/add your own

Don’t know how many of you are into Twitter, but this is excellent stuff. If you don’t have an account, go to:

link to whotalking.com

And refresh the screen everyfew minutes. I’m laughing my butt off right now.

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 2:45 pm

@Pitt Is It!!! Absolutely laugh out loud funny stuff!!

Kudos to you. Anyone else, like he said, don’t need a twitter account, just click on his link.

Fantastic!!!

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 3:00 pm

No problem Dan. I’m lovin’ it. Pitt has won Twitter.

Here’s a good one:
TG, can i be wife #5? got a grandma in south bend and a sister in austin so I’m good for a couple years $$

LOL

By the way, if you go to that link I posted, click “See More” at the bottom of the page to look at the older Tweets. Sooooo much quality.

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 3:09 pm

Saw one “Todd, my Grandma’s cat passed away, could you text her, I don’t have the heart too”.

Looks like some Southern Cal and Washington fans are loving it too!!

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 3:29 pm

I don’t normally do Twitter, but these are too, too funny. Check out #AskASU.
This is quality stuff. The only disappointment is not seeing Fraud’s reaction at his news conference.

Comment by Financepro 07.24.12 @ 3:52 pm

fmi1pitt : #askasu should we stop worrying about where penni has family since your probably due for a dream wife change.

LOL :D

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 3:54 pm

Good point Pitt fan in ATL. It was really making my jaw drop at the defenses of their university. I was just trying get a glimpse at the other side of thing, and why they didn’t get it. But at the end of the day, is there any defense.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 4:04 pm

I don’t think they will be doing many more AskASUs for Todd Graham…………at least not without screening them first. Great stuff and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving recipient.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 4:21 pm

The one that had me LOL was “how soon do I send my next TWEET question to #ASKARKANSAS”?

Comment by Dr. Tom 07.24.12 @ 4:39 pm

One of the main reasons there won’t be a mass exodus from PSU is that candidly, they are a slightly better than mediocre problem and there isn’t a mad rush to get their players. I looked at the scout stars for their last two recruiting classes and it wasn’t all that good.

They may lose Redd and a couple of others, but for the most part, this ability to transfer is a two way street. Other programs must want you and I don’t see many underclassmen on that roster that other programs would want. Outside of a couple wide receivers and a few new jersey offensive linemen, I don’t see it. Now, for the verbals this year, once Hackenburg goes away, others will follow. The TE would be one I would go after and D. Johnson too, if I were Coach Chryst.

WVU will have a good year in the big12 if there are no injuries. That said, they will lose alot of talent next year and will struggle for the next 3-4 years, easily.They just aren’t ready.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 07.24.12 @ 4:42 pm

Cognitive Distortion: All-Or-Nothing Thinking – You see things in black-and-white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see yourself as a total failure. Coach can’t recruit?

Comment by 66Goat 07.24.12 @ 4:47 pm

This was funny, although not targeted at TG.

Coach, before you leave, can I use you as a reference for the soon-to-be vacant ASU social media mgr position? Thanks. #AskASU

Comment by BCPITT 07.24.12 @ 4:58 pm

The article from Houston, maybe better than #askasu.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 5:02 pm

Dan, I am the one who brought up the Catholic Church pedophile – actually ephebophilia, since most of those cases involved young teenage boys – scandals in comparison to Penn State.

Each Catholic diocese governs itself to a large degree. If a bishop did little or nothing to deal with abusive priests, the diocese had to pay out. Why? The abuser priests had no assets to speak of. Neither did the bishops. The dioceses had the money, the property and the insurance policies. The bishop who was in charge in Pittsburgh, Don Wuerl, went after allegations of priest abuse relentlessly and removed those men from ministry rapidly. Not all other bishops were as relentless. Catholics who gave a damn wanted those men out.

penn state covered up for a pedophile. Paterno dropped the ball when he should have got rid of Sandusky. Spanier, Schultz, Curley – the law will deal with them. The civil courts will deal with the university as a whole, and they should be made to pay out of their endowment fund.

The more I think and hear about it the angrier I get. Paterno was a phony. Sandusky is a convict. The thought of hearing that penn state chant makes me nauseous.

The arrogance of that institution believed that they were too good to play Pitt in football and basketball. The University of Pittsburgh was “beneath” penn state, or so they thought.

I consider Pitt to be the superior institution academically and I consider Pitt to have the superior perspective on athletics. penn state is not much more than a damaged football factory that operated with a corrupt administration and who let an old, arrogant football coach run the whole stinking place.

Comment by Penguins Fan 07.24.12 @ 5:34 pm

This is so old. Anyone notice the ACC is having media days for football. Can we talk Pitt?

Comment by notrocketscience 07.24.12 @ 5:42 pm

Regarding when current PSU players will be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, apparently it will be anytime up until the start of the 2013 season. So, apparently guys who are committed now can play this year and then change their minds.

See: link to ncaa.org

Comment by Pantherman13 07.24.12 @ 5:48 pm

The NCAA did what it needed to do. Penn State exhibited the most egregious lack of institutional control. Those who are now jumping to lament Penn State’s well-deserved penalties are short-sighted to say the least.

Comment by TonyinHouston 07.24.12 @ 5:57 pm

Commenter on facebook in reference to an article about this.

Mike McKinney;I am a devout WVU supporter. If I learned this happened in Morgantown, I would personally burn all of my WV clothes and merchandise on a couch, in front of the Cathedral of Learning. Anyone who supports PSU Football at this point is a pinhead, in my opinion.

Comment by Digdug 07.24.12 @ 6:07 pm

Did you hear that the JoePa statue was put in the library?

That way, he can make sure everyone keeps quiet.

Comment by KeyboardKev 07.24.12 @ 6:17 pm

some info for you some of the first schools to fax penn state and say they want to talk to there players are Georgia USC and Tennessee.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 7:02 pm

Pitt student and alumni Brilliance! Counterpoint to the utter ASU stupidity for even thinking this might work

link to triblive.com

Comment by steve1 07.24.12 @ 7:04 pm

Can’t believe that #AskASU isn’t a topic on here yet. LOL. Chas probably too busy reading and writing tweets to #AskASU. Heh Heh.

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 8:18 pm

Dan – My heart goes out to your car owner friend. I remember driving in my company car and taking clients out for happy hour on a Friday afternoon.
Drunks ruined happy hour forever and since the many lawsuits of in the 1980’s, there are NO more company cars. Collateral damage…it is a bitch!
Is it piling on to say “suck on it Penn State”?

Comment by Dan 72 07.24.12 @ 8:24 pm

How are people claiming this isn’t a football issue?

Comment by Chris 07.24.12 @ 8:36 pm

I haven’t heard a single question, asked to Mark Emmert, that he did not have a clear answer, pertaining to the handling of and the scandal itself, unlike the Sandusky interview.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 8:47 pm

Thank God for Rod Gilmore on OTL tonight.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 8:51 pm

Swofford at the ACC this week, according to Ziese, mentioned often how the ACC aligned with quality academic institutions, top 100. I believe I heard it here as well, during the endless exspansionoplos, that Pitt seriously held that same value, to align with quality academic institutions. H2P

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 9:00 pm

Notre Dame to the ACC in 2013. Just heard from a ND Alum. Chas, Reed…please check it out.

Comment by Dan 72 07.24.12 @ 10:35 pm

Wow, what mostly thoughtful comments. Way to go Pitt people!

The heavy application of sanctions is a blunt instrument but the only one available that along with the legal process is likely to instigate the cultural change that is necessary. The legal process will help but will mainly serve to punish the guilty as it should.

This Penn State stuff is distressing and exhausting. I’m guessing that we are all ready for football!

Comment by opfim 07.24.12 @ 10:49 pm

Just read on a post ND to join ACC in all sports
except football but will play 6 games per year
with the ACC in football as part of deal.
who knows maybe just bull shit but it was posted.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 11:08 pm

If that’s what the ACC needs to do to get the Domers, I’m fine…for now. Better to associate and develop relationships and rivalries. It will be more difficult for them to leave in the future. Its the best conference for them and they know it. The Dude from WVU is wrong again. With ND in the fold even half way, its less likely that FSU and Clemson will be leaving anytime soon. I give the Big 12 no more than 5 years until its broken up. Sucks to be a Hoopie.

Comment by TX Panther 07.24.12 @ 11:19 pm

I hope this ND rumor is false. I’m all for ND in the ACC but I don’t think the ACC should admit ND unless it is a full member. Why should ND get the huge benefit of playing UNC and Duke (along with Wake, Cuse and Pitt) every year in basketball when there might be no reciprocity on their part for football. ACC don’t make the same mistake as the big (l)east!

Comment by thereturnofwalt 07.25.12 @ 12:01 am

A few years back I sent a letter to my HS classmates about a party we were having in Ohio where I grew up. Loved my Catholic HS,still do. Anyway, I was making reference to all the BS we have been thru…divorces, illness, etc….
Anyway,I threw in a line about having “survived those bastard priests who abused children”…
My phone lit up like a Christmas tree!
Some were “way to go man”, some were pissed because they thought I meant that all priests did it, some wanted to know if I had been abused (no, but there was this smoking blond classmate of mine I’d still give the reins to, but I digress).
My point is that the crime is so horrific, many people truly can’t contemplate it. Their reaction can be defensive. Throw in a man (and I use the word only to describe his gender) like Paterno who fostered his own idolatry and it sends some people into the world of sheer madness.
But one similarity I see between the RCC and psu is the code of silence brought on by near absolute power.
Absolute power in anyone’s hands but God, is awful.

Comment by SFPitt 07.25.12 @ 12:39 am

Great stuff, all. The most intelligent and articulate comments on any board, sports or otherwise.

Comment by steve1 07.25.12 @ 7:18 am

If Notre Dame is coming partialy to the ACC, it will be very interesting to know what, if any, their exit fee will be in the future.

Comment by Rayhpgh 07.25.12 @ 7:22 am

Totally agree SFPitt. That is why Penn State is somewhat unique to other big time programs. It took over 40 years and 2 national titles to amass that much power. That power was not taken…it was given to him by the school, boosters and fans. All thought it would be fine because Joe was such a good guy and could supposedly do no wrong. He was of outstanding moral and ethical character. At least that was the perception or what people wanted to believe. No university can give anyone in academics or athletics that much power. There must be rigorous checks and balances along with a strong Compliance office and oversight. Football also needs to be deemphasized. Schools are not supposed to be the minor leagues for the NFL. I heard OBrien interviewed and he is selling his players on getting to the NFL…few ever do, playing on national TV and playing a sport they love…and getting hero worshipped by fans. The 4th point was when he brought up academics. He never did bring up all the other things that team sports provides for lifes preparation. Although no Penn State coach will ever acquire JoePa’s power and control, Penn State may still harbour secrets to protect their image and people in powerful positions. The cult will continue to deflect things and turn a blind eye to transgressions. I pray to God that they won’t overlook rape or murder. I have my doubts the school will do the right thing and fundamentally change their belief system.

Comment by TX Panther 07.25.12 @ 7:44 am

Good morning fellas!! After doing some thinking on the subject, reading all of your great input, and realizing that I was just typing on the fly during occaisional brief moments of respite at work, I do see a lot of your points, respect them, and have learned from them.

The one and most important point on this whole mess from my perspective, which I’ve conveyed before on posts, but did not clearly yesterday, is my somewhat disappointment of the news media not talking about the pedophile and damage he can do to children. Kind of got lost in the monstrosity of the story.

A Penn State hater, greater there is not. I hope out of all of the money, half goes to the victims, and I hope a lot of it can go into some sort of research, to look into what makes a pedophile, signs of possible pedophilia, and to look and see if there are signs that could alert us to a pre- disposition of becoming a pedophile.

Hopefully help the victims, and look into trying to prevent it from ever happening in the first place.

Great stuff from all, took it to heart, and respected all of the posts.

NOTRE DAME in the ACC??? When’d this happen???

Comment by Dan 07.25.12 @ 7:50 am

The Fraud of Pedo State and Paterno was finally exposed. And the cult this is and was Ped State was also exposed for the whole nation to see. And it makes you wonder what goes on in ALL these so-called college towns, where the whole economy of the town and the region revolve around the state university.

Favors are done on a routine basis, eyes are turned the other way, payoffs are done on a daily basis. These places of so-called higher learning are the epitome of the 3 wise monkeys.
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil.

In fact Pedo State should be forced to give up the Nittany Nitter as the school symbol and be made to put the 3 wise monkeys on their helmets and around campus. Just to remind them on a daily basis how egregious their crimes and hypocrisy are.

We were Pedo State indeed.

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:25 am

A Penn State hater, greater there is not
Comment by Dan 07.25.12 @ 7:50 am

Did I top ya Dan-o haha :-)

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:26 am

ND would be a natural in the ACC, as we (PITT) are one of their oldest football rivals, Boston College and them in the Pope Bowl is a winner, ND & Miami had a thing for awhile as good vs evil. ND & Syracuse could be played in NYC in New Giants stadium.

And then for the other 2 games per year against ACC teams it could revolve around Maryland or VT played in DC, GT played in Atlanta, FSU played in Jacksonville’s Gator Bowl and perhaps UNC/NC STATE/Clemson played in Bank of America stadium in Charlotte.

Sorry Duke & Wake I don’t think ND will be very interested in football.
But I think you now that anyway !!

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:40 am

@EMEL, how are ya and how are things in the Carolinas??? Hope all is well with you!!!

Three wise monkeys on the helmet, funniest damn thing I’ve heard anyone say on this whole mess.

I’m just picturing it!!!! LOL