July 24, 2012

Now It Is Just Spiking the Ball

Filed under: Football,NCAA,Scandal — Chas @ 8:58 am

I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on. I will not pile on.  I will not pile on…

But they will.

No problem Dan. I’m lovin’ it. Pitt has won Twitter.

Here’s a good one:
TG, can i be wife #5? got a grandma in south bend and a sister in austin so I’m good for a couple years $$

LOL

By the way, if you go to that link I posted, click “See More” at the bottom of the page to look at the older Tweets. Sooooo much quality.

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 3:09 pm

Saw one “Todd, my Grandma’s cat passed away, could you text her, I don’t have the heart too”.

Looks like some Southern Cal and Washington fans are loving it too!!

Comment by Dan 07.24.12 @ 3:29 pm

I don’t normally do Twitter, but these are too, too funny. Check out #AskASU.
This is quality stuff. The only disappointment is not seeing Fraud’s reaction at his news conference.

Comment by Financepro 07.24.12 @ 3:52 pm

fmi1pitt : #askasu should we stop worrying about where penni has family since your probably due for a dream wife change.

LOL 😀

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 3:54 pm

Good point Pitt fan in ATL. It was really making my jaw drop at the defenses of their university. I was just trying get a glimpse at the other side of thing, and why they didn’t get it. But at the end of the day, is there any defense.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 4:04 pm

I don’t think they will be doing many more AskASUs for Todd Graham…………at least not without screening them first. Great stuff and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving recipient.

Comment by Justinian 07.24.12 @ 4:21 pm

The one that had me LOL was “how soon do I send my next TWEET question to #ASKARKANSAS”?

Comment by Dr. Tom 07.24.12 @ 4:39 pm

One of the main reasons there won’t be a mass exodus from PSU is that candidly, they are a slightly better than mediocre problem and there isn’t a mad rush to get their players. I looked at the scout stars for their last two recruiting classes and it wasn’t all that good.

They may lose Redd and a couple of others, but for the most part, this ability to transfer is a two way street. Other programs must want you and I don’t see many underclassmen on that roster that other programs would want. Outside of a couple wide receivers and a few new jersey offensive linemen, I don’t see it. Now, for the verbals this year, once Hackenburg goes away, others will follow. The TE would be one I would go after and D. Johnson too, if I were Coach Chryst.

WVU will have a good year in the big12 if there are no injuries. That said, they will lose alot of talent next year and will struggle for the next 3-4 years, easily.They just aren’t ready.

Comment by dhuffdaddy 07.24.12 @ 4:42 pm

Cognitive Distortion: All-Or-Nothing Thinking – You see things in black-and-white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see yourself as a total failure. Coach can’t recruit?

Comment by 66Goat 07.24.12 @ 4:47 pm

This was funny, although not targeted at TG.

Coach, before you leave, can I use you as a reference for the soon-to-be vacant ASU social media mgr position? Thanks. #AskASU

Comment by BCPITT 07.24.12 @ 4:58 pm

The article from Houston, maybe better than #askasu.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 5:02 pm

Dan, I am the one who brought up the Catholic Church pedophile – actually ephebophilia, since most of those cases involved young teenage boys – scandals in comparison to Penn State.

Each Catholic diocese governs itself to a large degree. If a bishop did little or nothing to deal with abusive priests, the diocese had to pay out. Why? The abuser priests had no assets to speak of. Neither did the bishops. The dioceses had the money, the property and the insurance policies. The bishop who was in charge in Pittsburgh, Don Wuerl, went after allegations of priest abuse relentlessly and removed those men from ministry rapidly. Not all other bishops were as relentless. Catholics who gave a damn wanted those men out.

penn state covered up for a pedophile. Paterno dropped the ball when he should have got rid of Sandusky. Spanier, Schultz, Curley – the law will deal with them. The civil courts will deal with the university as a whole, and they should be made to pay out of their endowment fund.

The more I think and hear about it the angrier I get. Paterno was a phony. Sandusky is a convict. The thought of hearing that penn state chant makes me nauseous.

The arrogance of that institution believed that they were too good to play Pitt in football and basketball. The University of Pittsburgh was “beneath” penn state, or so they thought.

I consider Pitt to be the superior institution academically and I consider Pitt to have the superior perspective on athletics. penn state is not much more than a damaged football factory that operated with a corrupt administration and who let an old, arrogant football coach run the whole stinking place.

Comment by Penguins Fan 07.24.12 @ 5:34 pm

This is so old. Anyone notice the ACC is having media days for football. Can we talk Pitt?

Comment by notrocketscience 07.24.12 @ 5:42 pm

Regarding when current PSU players will be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, apparently it will be anytime up until the start of the 2013 season. So, apparently guys who are committed now can play this year and then change their minds.

See: link to ncaa.org

Comment by Pantherman13 07.24.12 @ 5:48 pm

The NCAA did what it needed to do. Penn State exhibited the most egregious lack of institutional control. Those who are now jumping to lament Penn State’s well-deserved penalties are short-sighted to say the least.

Comment by TonyinHouston 07.24.12 @ 5:57 pm

Commenter on facebook in reference to an article about this.

Mike McKinney;I am a devout WVU supporter. If I learned this happened in Morgantown, I would personally burn all of my WV clothes and merchandise on a couch, in front of the Cathedral of Learning. Anyone who supports PSU Football at this point is a pinhead, in my opinion.

Comment by Digdug 07.24.12 @ 6:07 pm

Did you hear that the JoePa statue was put in the library?

That way, he can make sure everyone keeps quiet.

Comment by KeyboardKev 07.24.12 @ 6:17 pm

some info for you some of the first schools to fax penn state and say they want to talk to there players are Georgia USC and Tennessee.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 7:02 pm

Pitt student and alumni Brilliance! Counterpoint to the utter ASU stupidity for even thinking this might work

link to triblive.com

Comment by steve1 07.24.12 @ 7:04 pm

Can’t believe that #AskASU isn’t a topic on here yet. LOL. Chas probably too busy reading and writing tweets to #AskASU. Heh Heh.

Comment by Pitt Is It!!! 07.24.12 @ 8:18 pm

Dan – My heart goes out to your car owner friend. I remember driving in my company car and taking clients out for happy hour on a Friday afternoon.
Drunks ruined happy hour forever and since the many lawsuits of in the 1980’s, there are NO more company cars. Collateral damage…it is a bitch!
Is it piling on to say “suck on it Penn State”?

Comment by Dan 72 07.24.12 @ 8:24 pm

How are people claiming this isn’t a football issue?

Comment by Chris 07.24.12 @ 8:36 pm

I haven’t heard a single question, asked to Mark Emmert, that he did not have a clear answer, pertaining to the handling of and the scandal itself, unlike the Sandusky interview.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 8:47 pm

Thank God for Rod Gilmore on OTL tonight.

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 8:51 pm

Swofford at the ACC this week, according to Ziese, mentioned often how the ACC aligned with quality academic institutions, top 100. I believe I heard it here as well, during the endless exspansionoplos, that Pitt seriously held that same value, to align with quality academic institutions. H2P

Comment by Bones 07.24.12 @ 9:00 pm

Notre Dame to the ACC in 2013. Just heard from a ND Alum. Chas, Reed…please check it out.

Comment by Dan 72 07.24.12 @ 10:35 pm

Wow, what mostly thoughtful comments. Way to go Pitt people!

The heavy application of sanctions is a blunt instrument but the only one available that along with the legal process is likely to instigate the cultural change that is necessary. The legal process will help but will mainly serve to punish the guilty as it should.

This Penn State stuff is distressing and exhausting. I’m guessing that we are all ready for football!

Comment by opfim 07.24.12 @ 10:49 pm

Just read on a post ND to join ACC in all sports
except football but will play 6 games per year
with the ACC in football as part of deal.
who knows maybe just bull shit but it was posted.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.24.12 @ 11:08 pm

If that’s what the ACC needs to do to get the Domers, I’m fine…for now. Better to associate and develop relationships and rivalries. It will be more difficult for them to leave in the future. Its the best conference for them and they know it. The Dude from WVU is wrong again. With ND in the fold even half way, its less likely that FSU and Clemson will be leaving anytime soon. I give the Big 12 no more than 5 years until its broken up. Sucks to be a Hoopie.

Comment by TX Panther 07.24.12 @ 11:19 pm

I hope this ND rumor is false. I’m all for ND in the ACC but I don’t think the ACC should admit ND unless it is a full member. Why should ND get the huge benefit of playing UNC and Duke (along with Wake, Cuse and Pitt) every year in basketball when there might be no reciprocity on their part for football. ACC don’t make the same mistake as the big (l)east!

Comment by thereturnofwalt 07.25.12 @ 12:01 am

A few years back I sent a letter to my HS classmates about a party we were having in Ohio where I grew up. Loved my Catholic HS,still do. Anyway, I was making reference to all the BS we have been thru…divorces, illness, etc….
Anyway,I threw in a line about having “survived those bastard priests who abused children”…
My phone lit up like a Christmas tree!
Some were “way to go man”, some were pissed because they thought I meant that all priests did it, some wanted to know if I had been abused (no, but there was this smoking blond classmate of mine I’d still give the reins to, but I digress).
My point is that the crime is so horrific, many people truly can’t contemplate it. Their reaction can be defensive. Throw in a man (and I use the word only to describe his gender) like Paterno who fostered his own idolatry and it sends some people into the world of sheer madness.
But one similarity I see between the RCC and psu is the code of silence brought on by near absolute power.
Absolute power in anyone’s hands but God, is awful.

Comment by SFPitt 07.25.12 @ 12:39 am

Great stuff, all. The most intelligent and articulate comments on any board, sports or otherwise.

Comment by steve1 07.25.12 @ 7:18 am

If Notre Dame is coming partialy to the ACC, it will be very interesting to know what, if any, their exit fee will be in the future.

Comment by Rayhpgh 07.25.12 @ 7:22 am

Totally agree SFPitt. That is why Penn State is somewhat unique to other big time programs. It took over 40 years and 2 national titles to amass that much power. That power was not taken…it was given to him by the school, boosters and fans. All thought it would be fine because Joe was such a good guy and could supposedly do no wrong. He was of outstanding moral and ethical character. At least that was the perception or what people wanted to believe. No university can give anyone in academics or athletics that much power. There must be rigorous checks and balances along with a strong Compliance office and oversight. Football also needs to be deemphasized. Schools are not supposed to be the minor leagues for the NFL. I heard OBrien interviewed and he is selling his players on getting to the NFL…few ever do, playing on national TV and playing a sport they love…and getting hero worshipped by fans. The 4th point was when he brought up academics. He never did bring up all the other things that team sports provides for lifes preparation. Although no Penn State coach will ever acquire JoePa’s power and control, Penn State may still harbour secrets to protect their image and people in powerful positions. The cult will continue to deflect things and turn a blind eye to transgressions. I pray to God that they won’t overlook rape or murder. I have my doubts the school will do the right thing and fundamentally change their belief system.

Comment by TX Panther 07.25.12 @ 7:44 am

Good morning fellas!! After doing some thinking on the subject, reading all of your great input, and realizing that I was just typing on the fly during occaisional brief moments of respite at work, I do see a lot of your points, respect them, and have learned from them.

The one and most important point on this whole mess from my perspective, which I’ve conveyed before on posts, but did not clearly yesterday, is my somewhat disappointment of the news media not talking about the pedophile and damage he can do to children. Kind of got lost in the monstrosity of the story.

A Penn State hater, greater there is not. I hope out of all of the money, half goes to the victims, and I hope a lot of it can go into some sort of research, to look into what makes a pedophile, signs of possible pedophilia, and to look and see if there are signs that could alert us to a pre- disposition of becoming a pedophile.

Hopefully help the victims, and look into trying to prevent it from ever happening in the first place.

Great stuff from all, took it to heart, and respected all of the posts.

NOTRE DAME in the ACC??? When’d this happen???

Comment by Dan 07.25.12 @ 7:50 am

The Fraud of Pedo State and Paterno was finally exposed. And the cult this is and was Ped State was also exposed for the whole nation to see. And it makes you wonder what goes on in ALL these so-called college towns, where the whole economy of the town and the region revolve around the state university.

Favors are done on a routine basis, eyes are turned the other way, payoffs are done on a daily basis. These places of so-called higher learning are the epitome of the 3 wise monkeys.
See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil.

In fact Pedo State should be forced to give up the Nittany Nitter as the school symbol and be made to put the 3 wise monkeys on their helmets and around campus. Just to remind them on a daily basis how egregious their crimes and hypocrisy are.

We were Pedo State indeed.

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:25 am

A Penn State hater, greater there is not
Comment by Dan 07.25.12 @ 7:50 am

Did I top ya Dan-o haha 🙂

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:26 am

ND would be a natural in the ACC, as we (PITT) are one of their oldest football rivals, Boston College and them in the Pope Bowl is a winner, ND & Miami had a thing for awhile as good vs evil. ND & Syracuse could be played in NYC in New Giants stadium.

And then for the other 2 games per year against ACC teams it could revolve around Maryland or VT played in DC, GT played in Atlanta, FSU played in Jacksonville’s Gator Bowl and perhaps UNC/NC STATE/Clemson played in Bank of America stadium in Charlotte.

Sorry Duke & Wake I don’t think ND will be very interested in football.
But I think you now that anyway !!

Comment by Emel 07.26.12 @ 9:40 am

@EMEL, how are ya and how are things in the Carolinas??? Hope all is well with you!!!

Three wise monkeys on the helmet, funniest damn thing I’ve heard anyone say on this whole mess.

I’m just picturing it!!!! LOL