July 12, 2012

The Freeh Report.

Filed under: Football,Scandal — Chas @ 9:50 am

I’m going to need a shower after this. These are PDF documents if you want to read them yourself.

Press Release on the Freeh Report

Freeh Report

I’m still reading, digesting and then retching. The most damning thing so far is that Paterno, Spanier, Schultz and Curley all knew of the 1998 police investigation into Sandusky showering with the boy.

Annoyingly the Freeh report is encoded so you can’t copy from the document. It won’t stop anyone. Just wasteful. You can print it. Scan it and then you have an un-encoded copy to do individual pages.

UPDATE: Here. I scanned in the summary pages from a couple chapters.

Dan, that would be awesome.

Please, Pitt, please do it.

I’d rather play Gardner-Webb.

Comment by BATR 07.12.12 @ 3:39 pm

Nike and joe were close the name yesterday was the joe paterno child development center they will now rename it.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.12.12 @ 3:44 pm

Gasp!!! As predicted, protect the football brand and make it difficult for NCAA to pounce. Blame is all on people that are now gone as expected. Will Sandusky ever tell all? I expect him to expire within the next year. He won’t do well in his new digs.

National Fox Radio just ripped PSU for the first 10 minutes. This whole things sickens me about the institution but more so the football program. How will this be remembered 20 years from now?

Comment by dhuffdaddy 07.12.12 @ 3:47 pm

Watching some of the coverage today, for the first time I am getting the feeling that the NCAA is going to be forced to bring the hammer down on psu football.

Psu would be smart to take some SIGNIFICANT preemptive action and self discipline.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 07.12.12 @ 3:59 pm

Will penn state ever be held accountable there football and culture is to blame and the answer is NO.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.12.12 @ 4:01 pm

The cult is still gloating over their recruiting class.

To Dorian, we all make mistakes. Pitt will give you a second chance. And, do you really want associated with Pedo State for the rest of your life after this?

Comment by TX Panther 07.12.12 @ 4:12 pm

NCAA may not be able to do anything to PSU football but couldn’t the Big Ten punish PSU? I’m sure somewhere within their conference guidelines PSU committed major infractions by hurting the Big Ten conference image. Big Ten could suspend PSU from conference football play for a couple of years. Cut off funds. Just a thought

Comment by why me 07.12.12 @ 4:17 pm

If you want a good read go to the boston globe sports page bye dan shaughnessy under heading penn state should shut down football .

I dont think that will happen but they could sanction them selves like ohio state did give up some thing they would if they had any decency.

Comment by FRANKCAN 07.12.12 @ 4:38 pm

If the NCAA ever wanted lack of institutional control …

Comment by Frank 07.12.12 @ 4:47 pm

Plenty of cognitive dissonance among the deniars.

The most blatant example of money being more important than the little guy.

How many times a day are decisions made to protect the institution and screw the little guy?

Whistleblowers don’t survive in corporate America.

Even the Janitor was smart enough to know that.

Does your diploma count if it is signed by a felon?

Comment by gc 07.12.12 @ 4:49 pm

Paterno changed the nature of the Pitt-Penn State relationship from a rivalry by treating us like enemies. Turns out that was one of his lesser crimes.
It is a shame that Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill retired and left college football to the likes of Joe Paterno.

Comment by Houston Panther 07.12.12 @ 4:51 pm

I’m starting to get real sick and tired of hearing Penn Staters and local media sympathizers of Penn State say “their tired of all Pitt people taking negative shots from the Freeh report.”

Comment by Lou 07.12.12 @ 5:07 pm

Just thinking, there was plenty of institutional control Joe Paterno had total control of the institution

Comment by jim 07.12.12 @ 5:14 pm

Everyone outside of Creepy Valley must be Pitt people then. I didn’t realize our fan base was that large. Cook is a DIK!

I fully expect Cook to spin his Joepology once again and his boss Micco, a State Penn alumnus, will support his trash.

The Nitter cult is at least indirectly responsible for all of this with their hero worship and self righteousness.

I’ve already e-mailed Stevie P and asked him to cancel the upcoming series. I will personally contribute to the buyout if needed.

Comment by TX Panther 07.12.12 @ 5:20 pm

By the way, about an hour or so ago, Dorian Johnson tweeted “We Are Penn State”.

Comment by Mike 07.12.12 @ 5:37 pm

No Lack of Institutional Control… The Pres., The AD, the HC and the rest were the “Institution”, and they were in “CONTROL” !!!

Comment by CompLit 07.12.12 @ 5:49 pm

Stated last week that the lustre from the Paterno era would soon start to fade?

What remains will be gone as O’Brien quickly proves he’s not Joe Paterno.

And what about coaches and others still on staff who are leftover from the Paterno regime?

A major blunder out of the gate for O’Brien.

Comment by PittofDreams 07.12.12 @ 6:02 pm

Will Curley and Shultz roll on Joe to save themselves. Stay tuned more trials coming.

Comment by alcofan 07.12.12 @ 6:58 pm

I’m left to wonder what else was covered up in the name of protecting the brand.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 07.12.12 @ 7:12 pm

we’ll see what Johnson is tweeting in a few months. I’m sure the PSU coaching staff has the recruits convinced that there will be no NCAA sanctions … and for a long time, that’s what I believed … but after what I have been hearing and reading from several sources, I believe the institutional control reason will bring the school to its knees for the most heinous crime ever comitted in the history of the NCAA

Comment by wbb 07.12.12 @ 7:46 pm

Unfortunately, as is the case, it’s about the $$. Kids lives were ruined by the monster Sandusky and the “powers that be” at Penn State we’re more concerned about their almighty football program and the $$ it brought in. Shame on them. I get no satisfaction gloating from this tragedy but feel sorry for the lives that have been ruined by a few people who were only concerned about football.

What respect I had for Joe Paterno is gone. I hope the statue at Beaver Stadium is removed.

I do feel sympathy for the Penn Stater’s who believed that the sky is blue and white because God loved Penn State. I guess we all get a reality check. It’s just a tragedy that boys lives were destroyed because of a few people more concerned about a sport that human lives.

Comment by MariettaMike 07.12.12 @ 8:00 pm

I remember JoePa once saying he would never leave college football in the hands of Jackie Sherril. Maybe we shouldn’t have left it in his.

Comment by Greg 07.12.12 @ 8:04 pm

As a Pitt student and many years after, the Pitt vs. Penn State game was the most anticipated game of the season. I’ll always have my memories but it’s over as far as I’m concerned.

I never liked the We Are… If I was a Penn State alumni I’d cringe at the though of We Are…

Comment by MariettaMike 07.12.12 @ 8:16 pm

interesting article..link to espn.go.com

Comment by rhyno527 07.12.12 @ 8:23 pm

I knew the man was petty, but this is truly horrendous.

Comment by Chris 07.12.12 @ 8:30 pm

In respect to sanctions, penalties and The DP, one hast to remember Emmert became the fifth president of the NCAA a little over 1 year/9 months ago. This is bad publicity for the NCAA and big time football programs too. The crimes which happened did so at a big time football program. It all comes down to what he decides to do. No matter what we, PSU people, Joe Schad (recruiting analyst) or whomever think, the ultimate decision is Emmert’s. You never really know what an individual will do. There has never been a case like this. The magnitude of the crime and the apparent cover-up of the highest levels of PSU, both administrative and athletic may or may not be the tipping point for him. The decision is Emmert’s alone…

Comment by Kenny 07.12.12 @ 8:48 pm

Save your sympathy for victims, their families and thousands like them around the world.

As for WE ARE: well, I always felt like that chant should be accompanied by a Nazi salute. Turns out I am right.

PSU will not shut down the football program and if the NCAA does not tender serious sanctions, it will lose what little credibility it has left.

Right now, Curly, Spanier and Schultz are three worried hombres. They are all going to pin it on Paterno and each other.

Paterno was a creep, but he had plenty of company.

Comment by SFPitt 07.12.12 @ 8:48 pm

Did I miss anybody mentioning the cost to the people of PA? How many more of these violated kids will step forward for monetary compensation? What monies will the State have left for all the services needed by their people? Of course including their other funded colleges such as Pitt. The added taxes needed to fund this cost, all because of a school’s football reputation. It is all nuts!

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 07.12.12 @ 8:58 pm

I have never been more proud of my fellow Pitt bloggers on this site for your comments and class today.

I read the report summary early and oddly enough spent most of my business day in Harrisburg. The talk shows were just amazing as PSU fan after fan said the report “wasn;t all that bad” in so many words. Talk about needing a shower when I got home!

Nothing short of the death penalty for 5 years, should be the NCAA response. All the money PSU will pay in suits is not enough. Pitt will not have to cancel it’s series with Ped State. The NCAA will do it for them.

My father, his brother, my grandfather and his 7 brothers, all PSU Grads are rolling over in their graves today. And so I ask all of you, has their ever been a more tragic abuse of power in sports?

Comment by Dan 72 07.12.12 @ 9:12 pm

Cancel the series. They are not worthy.

Comment by panther94 07.12.12 @ 9:32 pm

Just read Cook’s article this AM where he says the NCAA won’t and shouldn’t do anything to the FB program at PSU. Although I agree the NCAA may not have grounds based on what it has in the past considered grounds for action and that it might be unfair to the current coaches and players; I am no longer certain they will avoid taking action as Cook believes. It may be that they will have to take action to save face and avoid tons of bad publicity. (How ironic is that?–same motivation as PSU leadership’s failure to act.)

I am just not sure what they may due; but am leaning toward believing it will be major sanctions so that they avoid criticism. I suspect they will wait 6-12 months, and then decide (with the help of opinion surveys) whether they can get away with doing little or nothing without being severely criticized before deciding what to do or not to do.

Comment by pitt1972 07.13.12 @ 9:27 am

Ron Cook is a complete and utter moron. The kids on the team won’t be punished. They can transfer and play elsewhere. PSU should not be permitted to play football. It is disgusting to think that hundreds of thousands will still show up at Beaver stadium and cheer for this criminal program. It will be business as usual this fall in “Happy Valley”. That is a sickening thought.

Comment by omar 07.13.12 @ 12:42 pm