February 16, 2012

LiveBlog: The Final Brawl (for now)

Filed under: Basketball,liveblog — Chas @ 6:30 pm

I’ll spare everyone the preamble on the last Backyard Brawl for the immediate future. Maybe there is a surprising deal reached to keep playing the basketball side, uninterrupted, but I doubt it. At the very least Pitt is annoyed with the Hoopies over Luck’s comments back in October, and how screwed up Pitt’s football schedule is by the Big 12’s need to have them leave for 2012. So, I expect at least a year break on the b-ball side.

I may¬† be a touch late starting the liveblog. I’ll be rushing home from work, so if the liveblog isn’t underway immediately just use the comments to do an open thread and keep an eye out for the liveblog.

Simple thing for this game. Just beat the Hoopies. Should be a very emotionally charged game. I expect no matter what from this game to the NCAA Tournament WVU fans will assume the officials will be out to get them for officially leaving the Big East. True or not, that will be their belief. It hasn’t exactly been a good season for WVU and officiating before that point.

The game is a 9pm start on ESPN.

The usual rules are in place for this liveblog. Moderated chat. Not every comment will get pushed through. Especially when they say the exact same thing as a bunch of other comments. Dumb and abusive comments will be mocked, ignored and/or blocked depending on my whims and whether I can get a cheap laugh out of it. There is no formula to it. It comes down to judgment calls. Remember: we are not Hoopies.

If you need to break the liveblog from the site, Click Here.

Otherwise, it is right below.

I would argue with Dick Groat. To say that Pitt’s basketball team makes high school plays is an insult to high schools!

Comment by Dan 72 02.17.12 @ 10:56 am

pk that is not the point he is moveing very slow like a man who does not like to recruit
which worrys me becuse that was the word on him was it not.
he is not showing a lot of get up and go. when is JR day outhers have had it or it is comeing up we have not even a date for one,

he brings in what 3 players outhers have brought 30 in

what did you all say with TG give him time how did that work for us.

i say hold there feet to the fire till they show us something Were is the RB coach how mutch time does he need to hire one.

you all are to trusting just becuse he is our coach he needs to move his ass do some work bring the kids in show them some love.

this is not wisconsin were you pick the 12 kids you want and offer and they say ok here we come
at lest not yet he is like a turtle and we need a jet plane like ohio state has.

and like i said were is the RB coach wisconsin has only 8 coachs is he in fear that if he hires
one wisconsin will take him agein like last time.

Comment by FRANKCAN 02.17.12 @ 11:05 am

Despite the boost from Woodall’s return, this team is mostly showing it’s lack of experience and consistency. As much as I dislike some of the individual performances, they lack cohesion on either end of the floor, and they are unable to respond to adversity.

I’m really disappointed in Gibbs’ lack of leadership. This was supposed to be his team. He’s looking like the beneficiary of the last class rather than someone putting his own stamp on the team. We’ve been fortunate to have senior leaders who get their teammates in line for the benefit of the team. This is just bad team basketball. It’s the same old story this year.

I can’t remember turning off this many Pitt games in disgust since the Willard era — I don’t mind losing, but there’s a level of play that I just consider unwatchable (aesthetically, competitively, etc). That’s been about 1/4 of the games this year. At times this year I could walk to the park and watch pickup games with better flow than Pitt’s offense and even better defense.

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 02.17.12 @ 11:09 am

If nothing else, Dante has proven he does not posses the size and athleticism to be a good big east center. With Adams coming in and Gilbert improving, Taylor should be the third option at center next season. Zanna will get a chance to play forward. Jamie may bring in another big forward or he may have Moore and Patterson play together.

While Taylor hasn’t played a single minute at forward, it might be best for the team to have him prepared for a back up role there next season.

If Dixon wastes valuable minutes on Taylor at the expense of Adams and Gilbert, especially in the non-con, my head will explode. It will mean that he has learned nothing from this season.

Bottom line, I just don’t see where Dante fits next year.

Comment by Boubacar Aw 02.17.12 @ 11:13 am

Dante should just take a medical out. If he legitimately can’t go with his knees and back, he’s doing no one a favor by riding out his college career. Pitt would let him stay if he’s on course to graduate. That feels like the best solution for everyone. It spares him and his coaches from having to make excuses for his lack of development and prevents wasting minutes on a thoroughly unproductive player.

Comment by Ghost of Hornman 02.17.12 @ 11:53 am

Frank, fraud didnt leave because we gave him time, he left because hes a douche bag. And we should not punish chryst because of grahams actions. Thats foolish. And the recruiting rumors that he couldnt recruit are garbage. AGAIN, he recruited quarterbacks and was wisconsins closer. I agree that he needs to pick up the pace, but i disagree with the notion that he cant win h2h recruiting battles with osu and i disagree that hes afraid to hire a coach. He just needs to move faster

Comment by Pk 02.17.12 @ 12:37 pm

Wisconsin needed a ‘closer’? That term seems to have come up lately whereas it was never mentioned before as far as I can remember. While I sincerely hope we got the right guy and I think we did, there’s nothing I’ve seen from Chryst’s speaking abilities that would suggest he was a ‘closer’. Nice guy and all that, but closer, no.

And I agree with Frankcan, he does seem to be a tad slow in getting things organized. But that is what normally happens when you hire a guy who’s never run his own show before. They’re hesitant since they don’t have the benefit of experience in making ALL the decisions. I would be more apprehensive if he wasn’t able to bring some of these other very good Wisconsin coaches with him.

And I would be extremely apprehensive if Chryst had been Smiley’s first choice.

PITT really seems to have a sense of bad timing, had DW still be here (and I know the hate on this board), we had the Top 20 class last year we lost, there is no telling how well we would have recruited this year, with the mess at Penn State and then Rutgers. But I think DW, Hafley and the rest would have cleaned up bigtime this year and next year. For we would have been the program with stability for a change. That once in a lifetime opportunity was missed !

Comment by Emel 02.17.12 @ 1:25 pm

The hardest part this year is that we’ve been so accustomed to being the puncher, that it’s awful to watch us become the punching bag. We were the bully, now we’re the victim and it sucks.

Comment by Pitt Rob 02.17.12 @ 1:42 pm