January 25, 2012

This Just In…

Filed under: Coaches,Football,Media,Players,Recruiting — Reed @ 6:47 pm

Reed is having ribeye steak, asparagus and homemade bread for dinner…

Oh, and four star TE/DE J.P. Holtz committed to play his college football at PITT this evening.

This is a big get for Chryst & Co. in that Holtz is a highly ranked local prospect who was targeted by Wannstedt, Graham and Chryst as a player they very much wanted on the Panthers.  He most probably will line up at the TE position for us and seeing the way Chryst used TEs, sometimes in a two TE set, he may be able to contribute sooner rather than later.

Currently PITT has only two ‘true’ TEs on the roster in Hubie Graham and Brendan Carozzoni with converted WR Drew Carswell and converted QB Anthony Gonzalez working into the rotation at that position.  I wonder if Carswell might move back to WR as he has the size at 6’4″ and 215  that this staff likes and has used there while at Whisky.

I don’t envision Holtz playing much as a true freshman but one never knows.  Hubie Graham will probably get the bulk of playing time at that position and let’s hope he gets more passes his way.

Here is an interesting fact: in 2010 our TEs caught 21 passes; under Graham in 2011 they had 45 receptions.  I hope we incorporate the TEs into the offense at least as much as last season.

Personally I really like Brendan Carozzoni and want to see him get more action on the field.  He only caught four passes last season but showed flashes of what he can do in the UCONN game when he had three catches for 36 yards.

The big question, at least in my mind, is which of these TEs are going to excel in the run blocking aspect of the position? I think Bostad will incorporate that into the offense more than we saw last season.  We really were spoiled with Nate Byham in that role.

There is also the chance that the staff may want Holtz on the defensive side of the ball as he excelled there also.  He’s a multi-talented kid who has great athletic ability.  Plus he looks like he’s forty years old already so he’ll definitely be able to get into bars without being carded.

Holtz was a Jack of all trades in his career at Shaler as he contributed in many ways:

As a senior, Holtz ran for 337 yards on 72 carries. He caught 19 passes for 332 yards and scored 15 touchdowns.  J.P. Holtz says he played mostly running back during his junior season and had 14 total touchdowns (rushing and receiving). He says he can bench 305-pounds.

Holtz plans to major in education and reports a 3.0 core GPA. He is taking the SAT in June.

So, congrats to J.P. Holtz for picking the University of Pittsburgh for his college choice and let’s wish him the best of luck while here.

Holtz had originally committed to play at Penn State then reviewed his options after the Sandusky scandal broke and they had their coaching change.

I will lower myself to answer @wbb, I’m bored at this time.

You selectively failed to mention that Paul Shannon started the whole thing asking if Frank sucks???

Hence, the troll and take a hike comment.

Is that clear enough for you?? LOL

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 2:14 pm

Hey, I wonder if we have a substitue today for Geometry in 7th period!!!

Oh, and Lisa Smith told me that she likes Billy, but she doesn’t think Billy likes her!!!

LMAO!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 2:16 pm

@PaulShannon, if you have lots of money and want to share, you’re my best pal!!

If you’re a cop, I don’t speed and I don’t drive drunk, and I doubt you could help me if I murder someone!!!!

LOL

But, I’d be happy to know you anyhow!!

By the way, how’s Nosmo King???

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 2:19 pm

P.S. my jocular post above referencing middle school and high school is poking fun at all of us, especially me!!!!!!!!!!

On a semi-serious note, I realize some people on here may not be computer savvy as some, and I’m not really either, but…..

everyone knows LOL-means Laughing Out Loud

and

LMAO-Laughing My Ass Off, right??

I would suppose most do, but for some, thought I’d let you know.

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 2:31 pm

Dan ,now thats funny ,trying to stay away from the brownies and chasing the girl scouts.I just read more than post, just do not like the personal crap about the players just the facts is that a troll.

Comment by paul shannon 01.26.12 @ 2:43 pm

No Paul, everything is cool. I see you post on here, and am aware of you. I should be more aware, and will be, that a lot of people mostly read and don’t post that often, and some never post.

I just jumped to quickly, but I wanted to defend Frankcan.

I had just spilled coffee on myself at the time, so I was a little trigger happy I suppose.

My apologies.

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 3:20 pm

Paul Shannon what i say to Wbb Was said in fun
and if he or you had read all the posts you
would see that i have told him i was pulling his
chain or pulling his tail i have even said i like him etc.

but what i said to him i said to him not to you
and i never said any thing to you till you said
i suck i have not seen you on here so i thought you a troll.

Wbb and i walk down the same street just on different sides of the street had you said i was nuts that would be ok or had you said you thought
i picked on Wbb to mutch or had you said i was crazy i might say right on

but you made it personal when you said i suck
and remmber you were not involved .

and as i said Wbb is a good man but if 9 posters
say it is a red day Wbb will say no it is blue
and that is ok he can any time he wants to
but he has to know some one will pull his chain

but you were not involved so out of the blue i suck i never said a mean word to you dont think i saw you on here before so i thought you were a troll .

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.26.12 @ 3:23 pm

Hey Paul, also, this will get WBB a bit!!

If you happen to be Nordenberg or Pederson in disguise as Paul Shannon, could you please put the frickin’ Pitt script on the helmet and the mustard and royal blue uni’s back please!!!!!

It’s not that long ago, and precedent has been set, Washington, BYU, Buffalo Sabres and NY Islander fans all demanded there teams go back to their real colors after failed marketing schemes, and they did. I’m sure there are others.

Whew, that’s a load off, I feel better!! ha ha

If you’re not them, well, again my apology for kinda jumpin’ quick this morning, and I look forward to reading your posts, and please, always comment or criticize mine.

Good day, tell Kinish (sp?) I said hello!! LOL

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 3:25 pm

Frank, I think we’re all good. Onto Schiano leaving Rutgers maybe, definite?? and grabbing a couple recruits!!!

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 3:27 pm

Dan thank you i thought he was a troll
but he did get personal.
and he was not involved you know how we pull Wbb
chain abought tino
never said a thing to him before that thought he was a rude troll if he had said i was nuts that would be true but i dont know him so did not get it you know the meanness

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.26.12 @ 3:34 pm

Rutger fans are commenting “How about Mario Christabol? Coached here under Schiano from 2001-2003, took FIU from 1-11 to Sun Belt Champs in four years. “

Comment by mtoolmn 01.26.12 @ 3:45 pm

Gotcha Frank. I think Paul Shannon may actually be Chilly Billy Cardille!!

Comment by Dan 01.26.12 @ 3:56 pm

-Reed
never saw Duquesne football but my grandpa went there about 75 years ago…$40 season tix cant be beat. too bad I’m on the left coast

Comment by Gordo 01.26.12 @ 4:17 pm

dan i think there is a new post for the 26th

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.26.12 @ 4:18 pm

When I saw FRANKCAN’s post above that starts with Paul Shannon, at first I thought maybe it was a poem, because it looks like it’s written in stanzas.

But then I thought I’d never seen a poem with that line structure before and certainly none of it rhymed.

And now that I’m sure it wasn’t intended as a poem, I’m still not sure it shouldn’t be read as one. I know I will re-read it again and again.

Comment by hugh green 01.26.12 @ 4:41 pm

lolol hugh green

love the last line

“before so i thought you were a troll .”

Comment by Gordo 01.26.12 @ 4:45 pm

Free verse? Since we are talking about middle school, how about a haiku for Pitt football…

Coach Chryst now at Pitt,
Recruiting, recruiting hard,
A quarterback, please?

Comment by Stfan 01.26.12 @ 9:28 pm

LOL, Holtz blew off Mark Madden this afternoon for an interview. I guess Madden blamed Shaler HS for not letting Holtz know. It’s pretty funny because MM is a Shaler alum.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.27.12 @ 5:48 pm