January 6, 2012

Chris Dokish is reporting that Joe Rudolph will be joining Paul Chryst’s football staff.

That makes Bostad, Huxtable and Rudolph on the new staff and Wisconsin feels quite raided.

Rudolph is considered an excellent recruiter. Considering Chryst and Bostad do not have reputations for such skills, this is a big deal.

Rudolph’s position on the staff is not yet known. He coached the Tight Ends at Wisconsin, but had just been promoted to O-line coach.

Glad to see Nix will play. What’s up with siting someone for public drunkeness. They could hand out those tickets to 50,000 after every steeler game or on any night on the southside.

Let’s hope the kids take out their frustrations and open up a can of whoopass on the Mustangs.

I have no idea regarding the relative quality of any of these coaches. I am still optimistic after 30 years of average and below average football.

From dumb and dumber “so there’s still a chance”

Let’s hope these guys finish recruiting strong with some impact players.

By the way, does anyone else miss great New Year’s day football? So many bowl games and little quality or intensity. I wish they would come up with a tournament, or go back to the way it was. The Rose, Sugar, Orange and Cotton used to be a big deal. Other than the participants does anyone care?

Bowl games should be a reward for a great season. I saw one team was 6-7. No one should go to a bowl at 6-6.

And the championship is a replay.

Comment by gc 01.07.12 @ 8:23 am

FWIW, Chryst saw JP Holtz score 18 pts in Shaler’s route of Seneca Valley …. even outscoring PSU prize BB recruit, Geno Thorpe

Hey, maybe Jamie should have been there watching Holtz instead of Chryst (sorry, couldn’t pass it up)

Comment by wbb 01.07.12 @ 8:39 am

Wbb good one

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.07.12 @ 8:53 am

as for holtz, I’d have to assumed Pitt is the leader. for one, he’s come out and said that he’s a Pitt guy. he can also be recruited to play at 3 different positions. tight end, middle linebacker, or a rush end like the old staff was recruiting him for. that’s a win win win situation for him. Chryst and rudolph produce some of the best tight ends in the country, there is little depth at de and even less at mlb.

Comment by pk 01.07.12 @ 9:03 am

also, I’m sure I’ve said this before, but the d line is probably the area of the field I’m most looking forward to next year. obviously you’ll have Aaron Donald and Kaynin Moseley-Smith returning, but if players like shayne hale, Bryan Murphy, and TJ clemmings live up to potential, Pitt could have one of the best d lines in the country. TJ clemmings is someone I’m really expecting a lot of. he will be a redshirt sophomore but is a 6’6″ 295 lb de who was a 5 star recruit and based on the physical tools and talent, he has the potential to be a first team all American. there’s a lot of “ifs” at the d line next year so I’ll be watching that attentively.

Comment by pk 01.07.12 @ 9:12 am

I’m hoping Chryst brings a couple of Wisconsin O-linemen too.

Comment by shadyforpresident 01.07.12 @ 9:20 am

GC, Yes I also miss the New Year’s day bowl games. I liked the old system much better. I enjoying seeing the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton Bowls on Ney Year’s Day. Other than the Rose Bowl, I didn’t have much interest the other games. It’s tough to get excited about the Meinke Car Care Bowl or what other ridiculous names are out there over a succession of nights extending over a two week period. Under the old system, the major bowl games were on January 1st and the minor bowls were played during the two weeks prior to New Year’s day. The old system was fun, even if the two best teams didn’t always meet. As it stand now, you lose interest in most of the games. The BCS only made things worse, they need to institute a college play-off to make the games interesting again.

Comment by Justinian 01.07.12 @ 9:32 am

I’m hoping that this Pitt team has the focus to ring in this coming new era of Pitt football on the right note today.

A solid bowl win with the new head coach sitting in the stands evaluating his troops for the first time would set the proper tone going into the final surge before LOI signing day coming up in less than a month.

What I find truely amazing is how this current recruiting class has held together through all of this coaching change turmoil. With Chryst starting to show his hand regarding his thoughtful coaching staff selections, I’m beginning to feel confident that he may be able to pull in a couple additional uncommitted recruits for positions of need at the eleventh hour to fill out this class nicely.

Although I remain a critic of his turtle’s pace to get his house in order,the overall vibe to the Chryst hire, seems positive from all perspectives, and he hasn’t even asked the Pitt faithful to drink any stired up premixed Koolaide yet, which, by the way, I sincerely appreciate.

I’m beginning to understand the now the opinions of some reporting services that have commented on the low keyed personality of this guy. Since his hire, Chryst has almost been invisible concerning his actions in assenbling his staff and in the retention of the current recruiting class. However, he certainly seems to be producing favorable results, almost in a clandestine manner, in doing so. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

He may just be the type of guy who promises little but delivers more, which is always a welcomed surprise when the results are tallied.

Here’s hoping for a good showing in the Compass Bowl. Sure would enjoy Pitt bringing home a third straight bowl victory, even though it is in this second rate format. HTP!

Comment by Dr. Tom 01.07.12 @ 10:24 am

Chryst officially announces six coaches

ttp://www.postgazette.com/pg/12007/1202087-100.stm

Comment by winedogs 01.07.12 @ 10:41 am

Here is the correct link

link to postgazette.com

Comment by winedogs 01.07.12 @ 10:42 am

Yet more details:

link to espn.go.com

Comment by BATR 01.07.12 @ 10:48 am

well stated, BG Panther and usd. And I too have read the olive branches from Coach Dan to DRW. Time to move forward. We are one when it comes to our Pitt Passion. Suck it up DRW, and let’s see if Myers gets a shot to start with PC. Like Reed said, I look forward to a truly open competition at QB with Myers in the mix and may the best man (not named Tino) win. just 1/2 kidding wbb.

new coaching staff looks great on paper. Excited for Pitt football 2012. HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 01.07.12 @ 10:50 am

I was not big on chryst at the outset but I must admit his hiring of asst coaches is very impressive. Like many i am excited for next year. As for today, I think tino knows this is his audition for the new staff and I think he will play well. If he struggles then it will be an interesting spring/summer.

Comment by John 01.07.12 @ 10:57 am

just one new name Tood Rice from NC.
that gives us 6 nice start

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.07.12 @ 11:00 am

Looks like there will be no holdovers from current staff-any chance one of the ga’s or lower level guys stay just for continuity?

Comment by John 01.07.12 @ 11:05 am

An impressive sounding group so far. Just pray that their on field success is as impressive.

Kind of suprised at Rudolph being asst. head coach and qb’s coach. But he sure sounds like an up and comer with strong local ties. RAnd a heck of a recuiter. Really excited about him.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.07.12 @ 11:08 am

This is not a complaint just a question Rudolph
who is a great TE coach will now coach QBs.

Hueber who is a great OL coach as good as bostad
will now coach TEs.

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.07.12 @ 11:37 am

frankcan, these coaches have coached virtually all offensive positions and had success at some point.

Comment by pk 01.07.12 @ 11:43 am

Dr. Tom – if you remember Chryst’s initial press conference he made a point to say, more than once, that it wasn’t advertising or talking about getting things done that is important, but that the actions should speak for themselves.

Well, we have seen that in his tenure so far – nothing publicly from him but working behind the scenes to get guys he wants on staff. I really like these hires so far but I scratch my head a bit at Rudolph as a QB coach but that’s alright I think.

I think we are going to see some real solid recruiting seasons over the next few years because, in addition to how well they actually recruit, Chryst reached out and got two guys who have strong WPA ties.

Comment by Reed 01.07.12 @ 11:44 am

I meant they coached all the positions at done point and had constant success. I worded that poorly

Comment by pk 01.07.12 @ 11:45 am

pk HUEBER has coached RBs before but that is all
RB and OL.

But like DR TOM i was more surprised with RUDOLPH
and the QB thing he has played OL and coached TE
As far as i know that is all no big deal.

Things look real good.

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.07.12 @ 11:57 am

Do they have Chryst and the other coaches signed…..in ink…..on a contract???

Hope it’s not invisible!!! LOL