January 3, 2012

Spoiler alert: No.

I do get it. I do get the logic and how it can be arrived at that point, but the reasons for it not happening are just too overwhelming. Granted I was wrong on whether Pitt would actually fire Wannstedt. I was wrong on thinking that FraudGraham’s sales patter was irrelevant — as long as there were results. So maybe my track record on what to expect regarding Pitt football coaching activities are less than impressive.

Wait. Let’s start over. I seemed to have digressed.

There was the early rumor/nugget buried in what was a Penn State story:

Bradley repeated Monday he will stick with the program “until the end.”

However, he has said he expects to have other opportunities for a coaching job.

One may emerge at Pitt, if the timing is right. Bradley is on a short list of contenders to serve as defensive coordinator for new Panthers coach Paul Chryst, sources said. Chryst finished his tenure as Wisconsin’s offensive coordinator Monday in the Rose Bowl against Oregon.

Sure it was a Trib PSU beat reporter reporting that nugget, but maybe there was something.

Then came Sports By Brooks making the full declaration that Bradley was not only a candidate, but the primary candidate. In fact he would be doing a direct interview with new Pitt HC Paul Chryst and AD Steve Pederson. A certain logic there. Given the Sandusky scandal hanging over Penn State and what was known by any and all coaches at PSU, no way could Bradley just interview with Chryst. There would have to be deeper vetting. Plus, SbB offered compelling reasons why Pitt would consider this. Heavy pressure being brought to bare:

In Bradley’s pursuit of the Pitt assistant position sources have indicated to SbB that one of his main allies is the Steelers, or more specifically, the Rooney family. Pitt is a ‘tenant’ of the Steelers practice facility and Bradley’s brother, Dr. James P. Bradley, is an orthopedic surgeon and lead team doctor for the NFL club.

Yes, factual error regarding Pitt’s status at the UPMC South Side complex. That said, it’s been an open secret that the Rooney family thinks highly of Bradley. So it seems plausible. Plus, SbB nailed it earlier with Chryst’s hiring. Admittedly SbB tends to throw a lot of s–t against the wall to see what sticks, but maybe he is plugged in on this. Maybe it isn’t just Bradley’s agent and friends trying to gin up interest for the guy.

Joe Starkey of the Trib and 93.7 discounted it. So there’s that.

Paul Zeise, after landing in Birmingham also disagreed slightly.

It is not going to happen at Pitt. Period. Not going to happen.

I’ve been told this numerous times  by the right people. The only way I can make anyone believe me is, well, I can’t because so many people insist on making him a candidate for every job at Pitt….

With regards to Bradley, however, I’ll just say this – I’ve been told emphatically it is not going to happen, period. Among a number of other reasons that I won’t go into unless you really want to be bored, here is the biggest one – Paul Chryst has his own guys that he has worked with before and he is going to choose from one of them. So let’s move on, it is not going to happen, it is time to close that book.

I simply do not see it happening. Not from any inside knowledge. Not from the fact that he is a PSU-lifer. Not because of the Rooneys. It is simply the situation. There is no way Pitt is taking a chance on anyone on PSU’s coaching staff. Not when too much is not known about who really knew what and when about Sandusky. It’s been clear that some cover-up occurred. It is unclear how many others knew or suspected.

As I’ve said,  before Pitt is not going to hire anyone from PSU’s staff until well after the investigation and trial of Sandusky — along with the perjury trials — are complete. Too many questions. Too much potential embarrassment. Too much risk without even the chance of plausible deniability.

Or as FeartheStache put it:

Bradley very well might have known absolutely nothing about Sandusky – or at least nothing he could prove. But if you’re Pitt, already reeling from bad news after bad news after bad news, are you really going to take a chance on a guy who could end up indicted by the end of the year?

If you’re going to make an argument against it, the worst thing you can use is the fact that he was on PSU’s staff. Do I believe it will happen? Absolutely not. But I can’t see him not being hired based on being on PSU’s staff. How many other guys were on PSU’s staff then and are at other places now, such as Al Golden? Nobody is making a big deal there. Why are we making such a huge stereotype that every PSU coach was involved with this? There is no reason for Bradley to be involved from the information already set forth, and I’m sure if more people know it would have already been put forward.

Comment by Luke 01.04.12 @ 12:36 am

No one from the PSU staff of the past 10 years is in the clear until all the indictments come out. Bradley just has the misfortune of being there while this story broke, and thus being the “face” of PSU football. If you are a Bradley fan than you should really hate JoPa for stringing him along for all those years and then destroying his career. He is radioactive right now.

Comment by TZ 01.04.12 @ 4:34 am

NO WAY! He had to here the rumors. Anyone that has played college football knows there are no secrets among the coaches or the players. He heard the accusations….he will be seen as an enabler even if he is not convicted of anything…and he won’t be. You would have to be nuts to bring it that baggage. Insted of the media focusing on the positive it would be Bradley questions until the season starts.

Comment by Big Black 01.04.12 @ 6:43 am

The simple fact that Bradley was there during this whole time makes him guilty by association, fair or unfair. McQueary even lived with him for a couple of years in the mid 00′s. I would think that many people simply assume that Bradley had to know something. Personally, I find it hard to believe that Bradley and the rest of the PSU staff knew absolutely nothing about Sandusky. Perception is going to be the key in this case. Put yourself into the shoes of a football player parent and Bradley comes knocking at your door to recruit sonny boy. How would you feel? Even if Bradley is not complicit, he’s still been dirtied by that mess up there, which is unfortunate for him and all the other members of that staff. Bradley would certainly be a fine choice from all other aspects, but the baggage associated with the Sandusky situation is somthing that Pitt really doesn’t need right now. Pass on Bradley. And F*CK the Steelers.

@Luke: Al Golden was there as a linebacker coach for one year (2000) and that was prior to the 2002 shower incident.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 7:46 am

I’m sure if Bradley knew anything about Sandusky’s going’s on, he’d be long gone just like Joe and company. Bradley is a standup guy and Pitt would be lucky to get him. Remember, not long ago, Pitt considered Tom for its head coaching job.

What Sandusky is accused of is beyond belief. If any member of Joe’s coaching staff knew what was going on and kept quiet, they should also be prosecuted as accessories to Sandusky’s crimes.

Penn State can’t afford to let Tom Bradley continue to be associated with its football program if he had any knowledge of Sandusky’s crimes. Tom was invited by Penn State for a second interview just recently. Having said that, in my opinion, Penn state should have not gone to a bowl game and ended its season – it was obvious by the way Penn State played against Houston their heart was not in the game. Houston humiliated them.

Pitt is in a good position right now to get a championship caliber coaching staff together for its football program. It should take the best people available. Tom Bradley should be on the top of their list. Of course it’s just my opinion. HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 01.04.12 @ 8:00 am

Not to mention that this defensive minded coach just had a month to prepare for Houston and gave up 500 yards passing.

Comment by Z-Boy 01.04.12 @ 8:23 am

No way to Bradley, for all the reasons already said. Pitt doesn’t need the baggage. There’s plenty of DC quality fish in the sea, like even the current DC. And, Bradley’s D wasn’t so awesome against Wisconsin this year or Houston. Zeise’s got it right when he said it’s time to move on.

Comment by velvil 01.04.12 @ 8:24 am

Chas, have you heard anything about the rumor that McQuery will be hired as Janitor at the practice facility? He’s great at sweeping things under the rug, and keeps a squeaky clean shower…

Comment by Big Bill 01.04.12 @ 8:49 am

@Marietta Mike:

I have to disagree with you about the PSU staff being in trouble with the law. The other coaching staff members were not part of the reporting chain as a result of the 2002 shower incident. Any discussions that McQueary had with Bradley or any other assistant coaches would be considered heresay and I don’t believe they would have any legal obligation to report such conversations. I’m pretty sure that it’s a moral obligation rather than a legal one. Maybe the legal minds around here can shed some light on this.

Furthermore, I have heard several people in the local Pgh media claim that the rumors about Sandusky have been around for years. If those rumors were around, you mean to tell me that the coaching staff wasn’t also aware of them? Maybe they were even the source for such rumors. Who knows. There are just too many questions regarding that situation right now.

As much as I like Bradley as a coach and recruiter, Pitt simply can’t afford to have this sideshow attached to one of their assistants, regardless of Bradley’s level of knowledge of Sandusky’s activities. There are other excellent candidates that can be hired that won’t come in with that type of baggage.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 8:55 am

Hey, I’m just glad that Paul Chryst is the new Pitt head coach. Too bad it didn’t happen last year. He’s a good football guy and whether he goes with Patterson, Bradley, or whoever, I’m sure he will get the best defensive coordinator he can find for the program. I think Bradley is good defensive coodinator, but I really don’t think he will be considered. If the circumstances were different, he would be a good choice. I am pulling for Patteron, because of his performance this year as the defensive coordinator and because he stuck around to coach team in the bowl game. Hopefully he will get a legitimate shot for the job.

On another not Paul Zeise wrote a nice peice on the preparation for hte bowl game on his PG blog.

Comment by Justinian 01.04.12 @ 9:06 am

I’m in the camp of not believing this could take place. It flies in the face of everything Nordenberg and the BOT have tried to do for the university and its national reputation.

It just isn’t worth it in the big picture. Forget about the debate of “Did he or didn’t he know” because of course he did. He was the most integral person in the football program for 20 years at PSU while JoPa was becoming less and less capable of making day to day decisions. Bradley was the pivot man for everything up there and he knows where all the bodies are buried.

Try this one on for size. If my family is one of the big donors to the University, and I mean up approaching Dietrich level big, and there are people like that out there, do I want my name associated with something like this?

This isn’t just something that happened while a person was employed at PITT, this is proactively reaching out to bring someone associated with one of the biggest and most vulgar scandals in US history into the University fold, and as a public face of it to boot. Football generates more advertising, both positive and negative, than any other aspect of the University.

How in the world do you justify that hire to donors and alumni who don’t care one damn bit about the football program. This isn’t what PITT is all about – that is the kind of actions you’d expect from schools where the football tail wags the dog.

I have to say that nothing much shocks me anymore in life – I’ve been around the block in too many places and too many times for that. But if PITT were to employ Bradley while all the criminal and civil trials haven’t been concluded yet, I’d have to take a step back and really reassess my priorities.

Comment by Reed 01.04.12 @ 9:11 am

Look at it this way. When this PSU mess does go to trial, do we want t Pitt coach to be pulled away from his duties at Pitt to sit on the witness stand and testify in front of what will be the whole nation? Do we want that kind of radioactive coach????? I didn’t think so.

Comment by Panther Fan in Hoopieland 01.04.12 @ 9:13 am

Pitt’s big boosters who overruled Stevie and went with Chryst are also probably pushing hard for Bradley. I hope Stevie wins this battle.

Comment by TX Panther 01.04.12 @ 9:30 am

FWIW, last year I was on the side of the Steelers when they felt slighted that Pederson didn’t even grant Bradley an interview, per their request, when he hired Heywood. Of course, he was later granted an interview before Graham was hired.

This year, if the Steelers are so worried about him, then they should hire him … and it should be noted that there is no concrete evidence that the Steelers are requsting anything from Pitt this year.

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 9:31 am

Comment by Coach Ditka 01.04.12 @ 9:33 am

I will feel much better when John Meyer makes the report about Bradley getting the Pitt DC job on WTAE. They I’ll know it’s not true.

:-)

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 9:42 am

Zeise says Trey has moved ahead of Mark Meyers. Dodge said it was due to a better work ethic. Interesting.

Comment by TX Panther 01.04.12 @ 9:44 am

Durrr!!! Typo.

Last sentence should read:

Then I’ll know it’s not true.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 9:45 am

Bradley has been part of the Penn State culture for more than 30 years. It is that culture that elevated Paterno and Penn State football above the rest of the university. As I have seen him in recent interviews he still has his head so far up Paterno’s butt that he would be intolerable to Pitt people.

Comment by Houston Panther 01.04.12 @ 9:47 am

Considering Pitt’s debacles with coaches in the last year, they would be STUPID to pick up Bradley.

Which is unfortunate for Bradley, as for a D coordinator, his defenses are usually tough. He just got the short end of the stick.

Comment by Snala The Panther 01.04.12 @ 9:53 am

Tom Bradley…really WTF?!?!?

We don’t need him here,

we should not want him here,

He worked sided by side with a CHILD MOLESTER for many years….

let me repeat that CHILD MOLESTER for MANY YEARS!

Everyone on that staff knew what was going on in 1998 but they chose not to believe it even though the weirdo was bringing young children around to their events ALL THE TIME.

Guilt by association isn’t fair?

Should the guys that guarded the gates of the Nazi concentration camps be treated the same as everyone else if they claimed they didn’t know that people were being killed inside?

Anyway…

We already have Kieth Patterson on our staff and his defense WITH our current players is very good.

Additionally F the Rooneys

If they think so much of Bradley why don’t THEY hire the guy??? Last I checked they own an NFL team.

Comment by Tony in Harrisburg 01.04.12 @ 10:05 am

Fellow fans, this is Pitt. Anything can happen including the hire of Tom Bradley! Think back to this past 12 months. Could any of us have predicted the events?

Comment by Dan 72 01.04.12 @ 10:08 am

F Penn State!

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.04.12 @ 10:13 am

Dan, I hear what you’re saying, but they know about Bradley going in. This isn’t an unknown. They know he has this Sandusky baggage strapped to his back. Why take on that crap and all the potential headaches that it could bring? They don’t need it. It’s the biggest scandal in NCAA history, why associate yourself with that? I hope they’re smart enough to avoid someting like that.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 10:18 am

What about Jim Heacock who has been Ohio State’s co-defensive coordinator for DC? I would like to see us hire an experienced DC like him or Randy Shannon rather than promoting a position coach.

Comment by Houston Panther 01.04.12 @ 10:20 am

Get real all you PSU haters. (I hate PSU the institution, not everyone associated with it) If Bradley knew anything, his name would have been mentioned in the indictments. The guy has been a solid DC, a solid recruiter, and reportedly a stand up guy. I have been calling for Bradley from day 1 and continue to hope this is how it ends up.

Comment by Todd Gack 01.04.12 @ 10:30 am

The very notion of hiring Bradley is crazy stupid

Comment by BATR 01.04.12 @ 10:31 am

Hiring Bradley would be bat shit crazy!

Comment by TX Panther 01.04.12 @ 10:36 am

TX Panther… the quote from Zeise was from Dodge during Training Camp, not a current assessment…

Or were you just trying to fire up DRW?

Comment by Big Bill 01.04.12 @ 10:45 am

Todd, if the Sandusky thing happened at LSU instead of PSU, I’d feel the same way. Pitt just doesn’t need to be associated with that Sandusky fiasco in any way, shape, or form. I don’t care what Bradley knew or didn’t know about it. I like Tom Bradley, but Pitt just doesn’t need that kind of attention right now.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 10:48 am

It doesn’t matter if Bradley was involved or not. (And the fact that his name has not come up [yet] in the indictment means squat.) All that matters is the public perception that he is closely associated with a scandalized PSU program. There are plenty of qualified coaches out there who could be our DC and do a great job. So why in the heck would Pitt, or ANY school, want to go with a guy carrying the possible baggage that Bradley is — when they could have an equally qualified guy WITHOUT it??? It just boggles my mind that there are Pitt fans still pulling for this guy! It’s insane!

If this guy was not “Tom Bradley”, but a random coach that had the same questions hanging around him, how many of the Bradley lovers here would still be wanting that coach on our sidelines??

Comment by JCE 01.04.12 @ 10:49 am

FWIW .. Andrew Tags was interviewed a couple of days after Graham’s departure but spoke glowingly about Keith Patterson, and how much respect all the defensive players had for him.

Further, in Zeise’s blog yesterday, he quoted Chryst as saying that he was fired before and knows what the remaining staff is going through .. and he said that the coaches who remain will get more than just a courtesy interview.

Bottom line … Patterson remains a real possiblility for DC if he wants to stay … which may be another reason that the staff is not finalized, since Chryst has not had the time to formally interview him.

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 10:57 am

Agree that Bradely is radioactive because of the Sandusky matter. Whether that’s fair or not – it’s reality.

More importantly – why would anybody hire a PSU football coach? Did anybody watch them play these past few years? That may be the worst coached college football team in the country. A bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits passing for 100 yards a game and giving up 500 passing yards to Houston? That whole crew in Happy Valley has been living off yesterday’s glories for a long, long time…

Comment by dano 01.04.12 @ 11:01 am

One name that I thought might be mentioned as a DC candidate is Charlie Partridge due to his FL ties, Pitt experience and being a colleague of Chryst’s. Upon further reading I see that he is already Co-D coordinator at Wisconsin and carries that title of Associate Head Coach. I assume that he is not considering moving unfortunately.

Comment by crazylegs 01.04.12 @ 11:05 am

Big Bill – Apologies to DRW then. Wasn’t trying to incite things. Thought the quote from Dodge was based on practice from the last 15 days. If it was, then Meyers hasn’t learned a thing. I thought I heard stories about his questionable work ethic and shape at the beginning of the year. Hope the kid can get his act together since he might be a very good fit for this offense. And, we’ll need a QB if Tino regresses in this new scheme.

As far as Patterson, I like him. Pitt’s defense was aggressive and got turnovers. It will only be better next year with more experience. The secondary was vastly improved and the players seemed to have gotten better each week with tackling, angles, coverages and protecting 4th quarter leads. Patterson should not be guilty by association with Fraud. Bradley on the other hand….

Comment by TX Panther 01.04.12 @ 11:10 am

I really don’t think Bradley will be hired but for sake of argument what if he is, then what? Are we all going to jump off the Fort Pitt bridge? Drink More(already do that)? Become Pitt Haters ( don’t think so)?

If it happens it happens and it is nothing I can control so won’t expend energy worrying about it.

Comment by giveitarest 01.04.12 @ 11:11 am

@giveitarest

Let’s just shut down all sport blogs and not discuss anything.

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 11:15 am

If Patterson wants to stay and PC likes him, that would be great.

The boys deserve a bit of stability and continuity.

Comment by BATR 01.04.12 @ 11:21 am

@Pitt is it
That is not my point at all. As no matter who is named there will be some who love the hire and others who will hate it. I get it that this is a place to blow off steam as I am doing that as well. It is also a place to start people thinking and all said is what if Bradley is hired then what and all I did was say what I would do and I expect there are others that will just deal with what happens and continue to move on and back Pitt.

Comment by giveitarest 01.04.12 @ 11:27 am

Todd, it doesn’t matter whether we hate PSU or not. We are looking at it objectively. They have a mess because they let their head football coach of 46 years become more important than the university. No one could question anything. Everything was swept under the carpet to protect the “reputation” of Penn State. A lot of their people still don’t get it-Bradley included. Hopefully, the right people will take charge at State College and spend the years it will take to cleanse their university. Pitt doesn’t want to go anywhere near that mess.

Comment by Houston Panther 01.04.12 @ 11:31 am

I try to be an objective person. I think I do a fair job at seeing both sides of an argument. However, I cannot grasp any support for hiring Bradley. It is so ridiculously beyond stupid and/or unnecessary that I would be embarrassed and disappointed IF Pitt is even considering him.

With that said, we should learn a lot more about the direction of Pitt football this week. I am excited and optimistic. I don’t know why given Pitt’s history but I have a good feeling Chryst will put together a solid staff and get Pitt going in the right direction.

Comment by JAM 05 Pitt 01.04.12 @ 11:32 am

I couldn’t agree with jce more. If this move is somehow made, forget how bad it would make our football team look. I would me embarssed for my university. I can’t say this with the proper amount of disrespect intended, fuck Penn state. We are bad enough off right now as it is with the events of the past year or so. The last thing we need to do is pile this garbage on top of it. With the very little faith I have left in our athletic department, I pray to tebow that this doesn’t happen.

Comment by usd121 01.04.12 @ 11:34 am

Sandusky suddenly “retires” as PSU DC at a relatively high point, takes no other DC jobs, and gets put out to pasture up in Happy Valley. Bradley takes over as DC, but somehow knew nothing whatsoever about Sandusky’s criminal activity?

No. They all knew. Joe and the gang decided to handle it their own way.

Tom’s a good coach and recruiter, but like so many of you have said, we don’t want him. He’s absolutely radioactive.

Comment by Pitt in Oregon 01.04.12 @ 11:38 am

TX Panther – you did heard & read stories about why Myers wasn’t going to take meaningful snaps in a game from the end of summer camp up until the last regular game – and you read them on here. It is interesting that Zeise waited until now to cite the exact source regarding Myers though, you can’t get more accurate than first hand info from the QB coach. Zeise and other beat writers had been kind of dancing around the subject during the season.

Myers’s “lack of interest”, while understandable with the coaching and major offense changes, and his wavering on whether to transfer, led to his not learning Graham’s complex offense to the level he needed to. I do think us PITT fans we need to give Mark Myers a lot of credit for sticking it out at PITT when we needed him after AG’s suspension. Myers didn’t have to do that but he did.

But since he was then the #3 QB coming out of camp he wasn’t getting any meaningful snaps in practice during game weeks either. The combination was too much to overcome well enough for the staff to trust Myers enough to run the offense, and they were vocal about that when asked during the season.

IMO there were also other factors at play in the beginning of the year in that Graham was going to stick with the most efficient passing and mobile QB we had, which was Sunseri. But when the second half of the season rolled around and Graham, in desperation, needed to turn to a third QB to play Myers wasn’t ready. That was why we saw only ‘special packages’ for him.

This was no secret and was discussed by all of us here on The Blather. However, some PITT fans, albeit mostly on the message boards, wanted to believe in deep dark conspiracy theories instead of the truth.

Now that’s water under the bridge and the good thing is that Myers gets a second lease on his PITT career with Chryst coming in as HC. Myers can hit the ground running the day Spring Practices start next year – or even before once he gets his playbook. That is exactly what the program needs and what the team needs; real honest to God competition at the most important position on the field. It would be fun to see a different QB out there running a pro-set offense. It could be just what the doctor ordered for Myers.

I give him a decent chance to impress Chryst and Bostad enough to get playing time in 2012.

Comment by Reed 01.04.12 @ 11:40 am

If the Rooney’s are so fond of Bradley, why don’t they hire him?

Comment by Scott 78 01.04.12 @ 11:46 am

They just might end up hiring Bradley .. as some kind of scout, someone behind the scenes

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 11:48 am

No, Pitt cannot even consider hiring Tom Bradley.
Yes, he is by most accounts a good man and fine coach (although 500 yds against his D is not a ringing endorsement). Without the State Penn scandal, he would be a candidate. With it, no way.

wbb and Tony H. are right about the Stillers. Love the black and gold, but if you want him, he’s yours to hire. We just can’t afford the taint, justified or not.

He probably won’t be indicted, although that investigative process is still ongoing and the more Sandusky and his goofy lawyer talk, the worse it gets. He probably wasn’t involved directly and probably won’t be charged (25+ yrs as cim defense lawyer)but as stated above, the stench will stay with him for a long time.

Hail to Pitt. Penn State sucks (among other things).

Comment by Bossdaws 01.04.12 @ 11:50 am

Thanks Reed.

Comment by TX Panther 01.04.12 @ 11:50 am

Yes, PSU giving up 500 yards to Houston was way too much.

However, the 30 points given up was 20 below Houston’s average and 2nd lowest output this year … (just in case we do hire Bradley)

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 11:59 am

Todd Dodge says Trey is ahead of my man Mark Myers. Todd can take his candy ass back to Texas or ASU and he can take disappointing Trey with him. All we are saying, is give Myers a chance.

Comment by AJ 01.04.12 @ 12:09 pm

“Tom Bradley is not worth any risk. It’s not like we’re talking about Vince Lombardi here. He’s a decent coach that happens to have ties to Pittsburgh. There are plenty of other capable DCs out there that dont come with the baggage. NO to Bradley. The State Penn is toxic right now and Pitt needs to stay as far away from that situation as possible.
Comment by Coach Ditka 01.04.12 @ 9:33 am”

Exactly. Certain members of the Pittsburgh press and Pitt sports community along with the Steelers have made a concerted effort for the last 10-15 years to build Tom Bradley up as some kind of football god, he isn’t. He’s a decent DC and a formerly good recruiter who has lost recruiters regularly to Ohio State and Michigan in the last decade. Find someone not connected to the impending Apocalypse of Happy Valley.

Comment by deepelemblues 01.04.12 @ 12:09 pm

who knows, maybe Tomsula will be Ped State’s next DC

link to collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Just what PSU needs, the new DC a Ron Jeremy look-alike

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 12:13 pm

No way Bradley gets an interview. I think Bradley knew about Sandusky and was told to keep quiet by the superiors. Being part of the cover up taints Bradley. Maybe he gets exonerated but i doubt it and here is why. Assume most people saw this article but it ties Paterno, spanier, shultz, second mile to a motive which I believe may be the smoking gun. they were looking to protect their investment as much or more than protecting the university.

link to thedaily.com

Comment by pittfan92 01.04.12 @ 12:30 pm

Zeise’s article quotes Dodge in Summer Camp not the present. They get to speak with Dodge tomorrow. Chillax on the Myers stuff…if he’s good he’ll play, if he sucks he’ll sit.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.04.12 @ 12:55 pm

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

Comment by The Incline 01.04.12 @ 1:00 pm

Grab Bradley if you can get him. Period. Hes a recruiter and a hell of a coach.

Comment by tony 01.04.12 @ 1:01 pm

“chillax” is a great word. going use that one, TT. I am still laughing (not AT anyone) at Big Bill’s comment about firing up DRW. Where are you, DRW? I say this as a Myers fan (based upon HS film). Might we see something other than “high octane” against SMU that would allow Myers to play a few series?

Comment by Bossdaws 01.04.12 @ 1:03 pm

@ The Incline:

Nice Dumb and Dumber reference. LOL. :-)

Comment by Pitt Is It 01.04.12 @ 1:23 pm

Just saw this tweet from ESPN’s Joe Schad.

“schadjoe Joe Schad

Tom Bradley not a candidate for Pitt DC; Chryst has others in mind at this time”

So, who are these “others”? Is it too much to ask for a list of possible candidates! All this secrecy is driving me nuts!!

HTP

Comment by Steelfan 01.04.12 @ 1:37 pm

Steelfan, maybe we should freeze you ASAP and then thaw you out next Monday

Comment by wbb 01.04.12 @ 1:41 pm

LOL, I come on here today and it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Tom Bradley rumors.

Will it EVER end?

I guess the 600 yards that Houston (the 2nd place C-USA team) and what should have been 50 points didn’t lay it to rest. That was after Bradley had 30 days to prepare his defense for Houston’s spread. His defense might work in the plodding Big 10 against the Indiana’s, Minnesota’s, Purdue’s, Illinois’s and the rest of them(though PC’s Wisconsin did lay 45 points on Ped State). Even if there was no Sandusky, that defense won’t work in the speedy ACC, where the spread is a force. Example Clemson with Chad Morris won the league and while the ACC isn’t as good as say the SEC, it still has lots of speed.

Oh and by the way, the Steelers are the tenant at the UPMC practice facility. Let’s get that straight. Oh yea the Yinzers will never fathom that because no one ever told them!

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 1:43 pm

Sounds good. Just make sure I’m thawed out in time for the National Championship game (;

Comment by Steelfan 01.04.12 @ 1:47 pm

Just read that Chryst has Dave Wannstadt in mind for DC and Walt Harris for OC, and Pederson has okay’d it. Also Austin for Assistant Head Coach, and Bradley for designated HC in waiting, since he was so good at that at PSU. No spot for Sal Sunseri yet.

Comment by velvil 01.04.12 @ 1:56 pm

Football scoop says Huxtable next DC as per today.

Comment by dead, jail, or pitt football 01.04.12 @ 2:00 pm

[...] Close the book on those guys and move on to other speculation and crazy rumors. [...]

Dead, jail or pitt football is correct.

Pitt: Sources confirming to us that Wisconsin linebackers coach Dave Huxtable will be Paul Chryst’s defensive coordinator.

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 2:12 pm

Info for you all.ASU QB Osweilers looking to leave ASU.

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.04.12 @ 2:20 pm

Wonder if Graham would give him a release to come to PITT. haha :-)

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 2:24 pm

Wisconsin’s offense looked great in the Rose Bowl. Their defense, not so much. Looks like we got the best of their coaching talent already. Maybe we should look elsewhere for a DC.
Osweilers could be a good addition for Pitt and karma for Fraud Graham.

Comment by Houston Panther 01.04.12 @ 2:26 pm

YES IT LOOKS AS IF HUXTABLE HAS CHANGED HIS MIND ONCE AGEIN

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.04.12 @ 2:28 pm

EMel and outhers this is what i dont understand i can go to my sites and they will say for example ucla wants to hire so and so or they will say NCstate has hired jim bob and allso whant dave for DC but he turned them down. you get the point
so the thing i dont get is how come the CIA stuff at PITT OR WITH CHRYST ALL THE OUTHER TEAMS PUT IT OUT THERE WHO THEY WANT WHO SAID NO WHO SAID YES SO WHY SO HUSH HUSH AT PITT I DONT GET IT.

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.04.12 @ 2:38 pm

Wonder how much the story the media released about the Rooney’s welcoming Paul Chryst when he came for his press conference the other week, comes into play in this. We heard that Dan Rooney’s wife gave Chyrst’s wife their phone number, blah, blah blah.

Did they not welcome Graham the same way? Could their zeal for Bradley being hired last year, and then not being hired, somehow taint the relationship they had with Graham. It was kind of strange reading some of the stories being written by the media about the relationship between Graham & the Steelers. I wonder….

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 2:45 pm

Wasn’t Smiley a former spook at CIA….Frankcan?

lol

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 2:55 pm

EMel check that site i gave you and you will see how it is all out there.
except PITT there will be one or two things on pitt and tons on everybody else just seams like we have no leaks i know louse lips sink ships but this is just football

Comment by FRANKCAN 01.04.12 @ 3:13 pm

In a bowl matchup that many in the media said Va Tech shouldn’t have been in, but had no problems with the Big 10 team being in. More bias shall we say.

Virginia Tech (11-3) more than doubled Michigan’s total yards, 377-184, and had 22 first downs to Michigan’s 12, but settled for four field goals in regulation by third-string kicker Justin Myer.

Va Tech was the better team! ACC deserved a better outcome losing in OT.

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 3:19 pm

Yeah watching that game last nifht, vt won that game in every aspect except for the score. They deserved to win. Oh well. By the way, were the two kickers who were suspended Jeff reed’s kids?

Comment by usd121 01.04.12 @ 3:27 pm

Clemson needs to win tonight.

1) Because they’re playing the Hoopies
2) They’re representing the ACC (our new home)
3) Clemson is actually a real university
4) Because Holgy might go on a bender in South Beach and do something really stupid if they get thoroughly trashed
5) Because they’re playing the Hoopies.

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 3:34 pm

Emel,

Holgy is likely to go on a bender in South Beach win or lose, so does point #4 really matter??

Comment by dinosaur 71 01.04.12 @ 3:59 pm

FRANKCAN…those loose lips are starting to sink those ships.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.04.12 @ 4:49 pm

@dino

No, but it was an entertaining thought. haha

Comment by Emel 01.04.12 @ 5:10 pm

and the new DC is……
link to post-gazette.com

Comment by toga toga toga 01.04.12 @ 7:24 pm

RMU needs a head coach in 2013….Tom Bradley will be that coach.
Pitt needs a DC….I have nominated Jerry O, but need the Rooneys to consent. Should I mention Kevin Costner or is that in bad taste?

Comment by SFPitt 01.04.12 @ 7:40 pm