December 30, 2011

In something of a surprise, Dave Huxtable declined the opportunity to become the defensive coordinator at Pitt, to instead remain the linebackers coach at Wisconsin.

“I’m very flattered,” Huxtable said. “I’m humbled. I love Paul Chryst, in the short time I’ve been here, I’ve become very, very close with him. I think he’s a tremendous person and a (heck) of a football coach. I wish him nothing but the best and I know he’s going to do a great job and have great success at Pitt.”

Huxtable admitted it was not an easy decision for him to make, but said he is extremely happy at UW under head coach Bret Bielema.

“It’s always a hard decision for me,” Huxtable said. “I love this place, I love the guys I’m coaching. Coach Bielema has been awesome to me.

“It was a great opportunity for me to go to Pitt, to get back to a coordinator position. It was not an easy decision. But right now I’m fixed and I’m focused on playing this game. I’m ready to do that.”

I’m sure Wisconsin sweetened the pot for Huxtable, but it seems Huxtable is just feeling a bit comfortable at the moment.

So, back to the Orlando or Tomsula speculation for the next Pitt DC.

I think Shannon, Orlando and Patterson look good but I would consider others.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.31.11 @ 2:12 pm

What about Vic Koenning the interim head coach of Illinois? He was DC the past two years. This year Illinois was #7 in Total Defense. He was DC at Clemson and K-State before that.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.31.11 @ 2:22 pm

Justinian, it seems the best prospects left on the table for Pitt in the 2012 class are jakarr Sampson 4 star sf/pf and Anthony Bennett 5 star pf. fo you know of any others that I may be over looking?

Comment by pk 12.31.11 @ 3:11 pm

Houston panther, he’s going to north Carolina with fedora

Comment by pk 12.31.11 @ 3:37 pm

FRANK – that’s a opinion that is valid I guess.

But the reality is that Zeise knows there is no story until Chryst is hired and releases the names of his assistants.

To do otherwise would be the same thing all the PITT fans are doing – circulating rumors and speculating on facts. Don’t you think we have had enough of that with both Haywood and Graham.

Personally I like the fact that Chryst isn’t pressured into doing something right away. I know you get upset about losing a player or two because of the Rose Bowl delay. However, I’m way more concerned about him being as comfortable as he can as our new HC.

Comment by Reed 12.31.11 @ 4:07 pm

I would like to wish a very Happy New Year to Chas, Reed, and all of you fellow Pitt bloggers.
We are not always long on patience or tolerance for each other’s viewpoints, but our passion for the University of Pittsburgh never wanes.

Let’s have a great 2012 sports year! We are due!

Comment by Dan 72 12.31.11 @ 4:11 pm

I don’t see Anthony Bennett coming to Pitt. He is close with Birch and he hammered Pitt fans for trashing Birch

Comment by Tony C 12.31.11 @ 5:02 pm

Tony c, I didn’t know that thanks. well, who could blame Pitt fans for being pissed with birch? he was the highest recruit to commit to Pitt ever and he quit after 10 games because he was playing the 5 instead of the 4 and wasn’t mentally or physically ready as was proven was zanna said that he would tear up if he got fouled hard in practice. not to mention the rumors that mizzou was tampering with him. Pitt fans have every right to trash him.

Comment by pk 12.31.11 @ 5:42 pm

Anyone reach out to the Mutually Beneficial chick?

Comment by Pitt Is IT 12.31.11 @ 6:01 pm

Happy New Year Everyone!! and thanks to Chas and Reed for making this a great blog for us to keep up to date with Pitt happenings.

My Pitt New Year Resolutions:
1. Football – watch our new coach assemble a quality staff VERY SOON and hit the recruiting trail to keep our existing commits and secure some other top surprises (You know he wants some big OL talent and some TEs!). Let’s support the coaches and the players who have been through a ton of BS in the past year – hopefully, it’s clear sailing from here.

2. Basketball – My wish is for another fun Big East Season and making the tourney. Dixon will find a way to get the most out of this team. Losing the freshman nut case was unexpected and is hurting us, but he will get these guys to over-achieve. Realistically – we need to get these guys some great experience this year (many young players getting substantial minutes) and next year will only get better with Adams as a beast down low (please don’t jump to the NBA instead!).

Comment by dish 12.31.11 @ 6:40 pm

PK, thanks for the info. That’s too bad. His defense looks nice vs UCLA.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.31.11 @ 6:41 pm

Ok, I scanned the old posts, and I might be missing it, but Jimmy who?

Comment by Stfan 12.31.11 @ 6:46 pm

SF Pitt, we hate Graham for bailing for money, or whatever, but you have no respect for Huxtable for saying he is happy where he is and wants to stay? I am gonna go out on a limb here, and say that football at Wisconsin is probably a little bigger deal than football at Pitt. Even in their bad years what is their average attendance? After all, what else is there to do there?
Give the man some credit for loyalty to his program, players and HC, even if it involved some financial incentive.

Comment by Stfan 12.31.11 @ 6:57 pm

Happy New Year y’all ! Let’s hope that all Pitt teams have a super 2012. HTP!

Comment by MariettaMike 12.31.11 @ 7:35 pm

Stfan…I don’t know Huxtable or why he stayed at Wisky…hell maybe he likes it for reasons other than the ones you suggest. My point is that to paraphrase General Grant when his staff worried themselves silly over R E Lee…”quit worrying about people who don’t want to join us and start thinking about those who do”. It is high time Pitt start exhibiting a little self respect. Act and talk like a stepping stone job and you will be one. Quit worrying about what others think of you and set the bar high and go do it. BFD Huxtable does not want to come here. Forget about him and set your sights higher. It isn’t about my respect or lack of it fir Huxtable, it is my desire to see Pitt get over this inferiority complex and develop some self respect.

Comment by SFPitt 12.31.11 @ 9:28 pm

PK, I think they could have used the power forward that they pulled the scholarship from. But I spoke generally, I honestly don’t who else is out there that’s not committed that they may have a shot at getting.

Comment by Justinian 12.31.11 @ 10:47 pm

It’s just another “what if” to Pitt’s legacy of “what if’s”. What if Birch did surprise the heck out of Pitt and did not reclassify. Jaylen Bond would be here this year and we might get a more physically and mentally mature Birch next year.

Of course, maybe Birch would not have even come here if he had another year of handler advice.

And, at least according to Dokish, Bond was leaning towards not coming to Pitt/Dixon was having 2nd thoughts about him before Birch reclassified. Something about Bond and his handlers were convinced he should play 2 guard and go quickly to the NBA while Dixon saw him more as a 4 and with the skill set of a 4 or maybe a 3.

But we will never know.

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 01.01.12 @ 2:05 am

I’ve seen videos of jaylen bond and he was a physically imposing player. he definitely would’ve helped this year simply because of that. physicality is something Pitt hasn’t had this year. oh well, Jamie Dixon will just have to make up for it in the class of 2012. I’m excited to see who he can sway in Pitts favor.

Comment by pk 01.01.12 @ 9:15 am

What would have helped is JJ Richardson not transferring out. Birch really F’d Dixon on this one. Not only did he lose a recruit (Bond), burn a redshirt (Gilbert) he also lost our back up Center and PF in JJ.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 01.01.12 @ 3:01 pm

tossing, I agree. I was just thinking of Richardson and Dwight miller yesterday. either one would’ve helped. i still stand by my notion that for 2012 Pitt needs a pure scoring sg or sf or maybe another center because I don’t see Adams being at Pitt for too.

Comment by pk 01.01.12 @ 4:59 pm

too long

Comment by pk 01.01.12 @ 5:00 pm

[…] week, Wisconsin linebackers coach Dave Huxtable publicly declined the offer to go with Paul Chryst and be the defensive coordinator at Pitt. This on the heels of TE […]