December 21, 2011

Well, as the day already starts getting late, and not even the hint of a late day press conference. I think it is safe to say that Pitt will not be announcing the next head coach for at least another day. I do expect that Pitt will have the announcement no later than Friday? Why? Cynical timing.

They definitely want it done before Christmas. They also want to be able to do the standard press conference and then have the new coach show up at the Wagner-Pitt basketball game on Friday night on ESPNU. Speak to the fans. Maybe get a few minutes on the national broadcast. Pitt has done it before — both Graham and Wannstedt showed up at the next basketball game. It’s standard for most schools, and I think Pitt could really use it.

But all reports are that it isn’t going to be today. From FootballScoop.com (h/t Scott):

Sources tell us Mario Cristobal is meeting with Pitt officials today…and plans to meet with FIU administration after (possibly not until tomorrow). We’ll keep you posted.

And then Paul Zeise posted an update as well suggesting that there is an internal debate at Pitt.

As such, there is a very definite discussion going on right now about Mario Cristobal and Paul Chryst and it really comes down to everyone involved getting on board with the idea that Cristobal is not another mercenary and if he comes, he will be committed and be here for the long haul, or at least a reasonable tenure.

So the discussion is – is Cristobal sincere when he tells them if he comes, he is coming to do a job and rebuild the program. And let’s make no mistake about this – with two recruiting classes basically lost because the players were all recruited for a different system, this is a rebuilding situation.

So here we sit and wait and while we do understand that a big part of the discussion is this – “can Pitt, which just got burned by a carpet bagger, take a chance at another southern guy who has no ties here and has been in a warm climate his whole life”

There are some within the inner circle who still have to be convinced…so stay tuned. If Chryst emerges as the guy – which is looking like a real possibility – it will be because there wasn’t a unanimous feeling that Cristobal will be in it for the long haul.

There are two parts to this. The first is that the decisionmakers themselves seem to have placed a higher concern on worrying how long the guy will stay. That frustrates me, because you just never know. That is part of the risk no matter who you take. Apparently Graham’s actions scarred more than just the fanbase.

The second factor is that, we have confirmation that this is not a search party of one. AD Steve Pederson may have a voice in this, but he is not the dominating one. There is a real committee and real debate.  I may not agree with all the parameters of the debate, but I’m happy to see that there are multiple people involved in deciding this.

As much as many want Pederson gone –  with good reason over the last 12 months as opposed to wanting him gone for his sins from his first run as AD — the coaching search and hire would be that much worse and harder if he was fired. Not many quality coaches are going to take the job when they don’t know who their boss will be.

This one is easy if I’m making the call (which fortunately I am not). Chryst gets the nod over Cristobal because…. Chryst has not reservations about being here!

When red flags go up you have only yourself to blame when you don’t pay attention to them. If Cristobal has even a second of hesitation about being at Pitt or in Pittsburgh then you have to pay attention to it. That small unconformable feeling about being in Pittsburgh will only grow the first time things don’t go as planned.

If they go with Cristobal and he doesn’t stay then you can look back to the signs that clearly said…I don’t want to be in Pittsburgh.

Similar situation with Fraud Graham. He didnt come to PITT on the first go around because of …. MONEY. He left to go to ASU like a “lady of the night” because of…. MONEY.

Pay attention to the red flags. If it doesnt feel right then you probably need to rethink the situation. That is what I have always been taught.

Comment by PittFanInAtlanta 12.21.11 @ 3:14 pm

Last year during search one didn’t Haywood come out of the woodwork at the 11th hour?

I’m just worried that they botch it a third time.

I guess you never know with our brilliant administration.

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 12.21.11 @ 3:17 pm

PittFanInAtlanta – Are you certain Chryst would stay in Pittsburgh forever? What if he was successful and some school offered him more MONEY?

Comment by CBC 12.21.11 @ 3:21 pm

CBC: I doubt anyone is worried about “forever.” It’s the one or two or three and gone that they worry about. They want someone willing to stick it out for 4-5 years at a minimum.

Comment by pitt1972 12.21.11 @ 3:25 pm

…Cristobal is meeting with Pitt officials today…and plans to meet with FIU administration after…

That sounds like he is playing Pitt against FIU! I was on board with him being picked. Go with Chryst if Cristobal is indeed playing games.

Comment by notrocketscience 12.21.11 @ 3:25 pm

I totally agree Atlanta.

The boosters and trustees probably began questioning his seriousness and long term committment when either Mario directly or through indirect sources began leaking his love for the area and strong ties to the community (much of which were already known facts).

Not sure if this was done as leverage in negotiations or if he is getting cold feet (maybe the wife and family are whispering in his ear).

On the other hand, Chryst seems fully intent to come over if asked and is ready to get to work.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.11 @ 3:29 pm

He could actually finalizing his contract with Pitt and then going to meet with FIU officials to resign (a common professional courtesy, then meet with his players) instead of bolting without a face to face.

FIU cannot equalize or match Pitt’s salary.

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 12.21.11 @ 3:32 pm

STEVIE!!! STEVIE!!! STEVIE!!!

It’s all in good hands my friends, good hands.

No fears!!!!!!!

STEVIE!!! STEVIE!!! STEVIE!!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.11 @ 3:37 pm

Mike Haywood was also introduced in person at The Pete at the Sat Dec 18th 2010 game against powerhouse Maryland Eastern Shore.

I shook his hand and took note when he and Pederson did not even come close to making it through the game.

Here is hoping that Cristobal (I love his Spanish speaking angle in recruiting, by the way) is announced at when powerhouse Wagner visits The Pete on Friday, just as you suggest …

Comment by KPCSKI 12.21.11 @ 3:37 pm

Cristobal never said he had any hesitation or reservations about coming to Pittsburgh. That crap came from something Zeise wrote in regards to someone he claimed was close to Cristobal or some such nonsense.

Comment by Pitt89 12.21.11 @ 3:37 pm

PittFanInAtlanta – how do we know that Cristobal has reservations about coming to Pittsburgh? He hasn’t said so. Colin Dunlap just reported that his wife is fine with the move.

notrocketscience – the other explanation is that he wants to tell FIU administrators that he is leaving in person. Hell, maybe he even wants to meet with his team in person. As opposed to, I don’t know, sending a text message?

I don’t know if Cristobal is better than Chryst or vice versa, but I continue to be amazed at how opinions, if repeated enough times, seem to become facts.

Comment by Pantherman13 12.21.11 @ 3:38 pm

Chas good point regarding the AD & coach relationship, although Stevie has horrible HR skills regarding head coaching selection he does seem to have the proper vision regarding Pitt Athletics (move to ACC and the basketball and football facilities). They have to get this one right I hope whoever becomes the next HC makes us forget out Haywood and Graham.

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 12.21.11 @ 3:40 pm

Chas, I would think all prospects know Pederson may be gone. So working for an unknown AD is a given.

Comment by Old Pitt Grad 12.21.11 @ 3:43 pm

One last question, did anyone actually read a direct quote or see a video regarding Cristobal and his reluctance regarding a relocation to Pittsburgh?

I am traveling and have been following the Blather only.

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 12.21.11 @ 3:47 pm

I certainly hope our “search committee” is willing to ask the tough questions… That is sometimes the problem with academia. I hope there are more than academics on it. Why would someone “leak” that minds are not completely made up? I think they need the “UPMC” people, they are a little more cut-throat!!

Comment by CompLit 12.21.11 @ 3:47 pm

I’m good with either guy because they both seem to be both competant and good coaches. Mario Cristobal from his recruiting program building strength and Paul Chyrst from his success as offensive coordinator at Oregon and Wisconsin, two big time programs. Unfortunately, none of are privy to what was said in the interviews.

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 3:56 pm

WLAT – I have not heard anything directly attributable to Cristobal. I’ve read lots of speculation based on his roots in South Florida, and Zeise wrote the other day that he heard stories of reluctance, but it did not appear to be based on direct conversations with Cristobal or people close to him.

On the other hand, Colin Dunlap today tweeted that he spoke with someone very close to Cristobal that said that Mrs. Cristobal is fine with moving to Pittsburgh. Not a direct quote but it appears to be closer than anything else reported so far, and Dunlap is standing by the report.

Comment by Pantherman13 12.21.11 @ 3:58 pm

Looks like Fickell is now co-DC? What does this mean? tOSU doesn’t believe in him OR he’s coming to Pitt?

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.11 @ 4:00 pm

Can we be honest with ourselves for a minute…

Pitt can afford to pay a coach whatever it takes.

It’s just a matter of being “willing to.”

Get whomever they decide, and sign them to ABOVE the other comparable schools. So if you pay 3 mil a year to get “your guy” and keep “your guy” then that’s what you do. Success on the field=sucess $$$$. You gotta spend money to make money.

Comment by ClarkLotTgate 12.21.11 @ 4:01 pm

Of course we don’t know what is being discussed inside the meeting rooms but it is interesting a guy from such a small program is being tagged with the ‘not stay long’ label, usually reserved for coaches at least in mid-level programs (ie Maryland, Clemson, Pitt (now)) thought of as moving up to the big boys.

That says to me there is a possible red flag about his not wanting to move…probably not out of disdain for the ‘burgh or pure careerism ala Graham, but more out of his like for Miami/Florida.

Whatever the case, I want a guy who is jacked to get the job…as a few have rightly pointed out, Wanny probably was not…probably viewed it as a demotion, despite love for hometown.

Comment by Matt N. 12.21.11 @ 4:05 pm

Wanny puts ketchup on his steak. judgement…in question, leave it at that.

Comment by ClarkLotTgate 12.21.11 @ 4:11 pm

There’s a nice commentary on Mario Cristobal by Chris Dokish at

link to panthersprey.blogspot.com

Were it not for Graham’s sudden defection no one would be asking these questions about someone interviewing for the head coaching job.

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 4:17 pm

How does anyone know that Chryst has no reservations about being at Pitt? Because the press hasn’t reported any? Maybe the guy keeps his conversations and concerns to a trusted few, and certainly not the press.

And what’s Cristobal’s reservations? The same that any of us might go through (as I did) in moving far from home and leaving family, friends, connections. I think it’s laudable the guy admits he is thinking about these things, and isn’t pretending otherwise.

Either will hopefully be a good choice — who knows, since it’s always a crap shoot — but the beating on Cristobal for thinking through every angle is ridiculous. And disappointing.

Comment by velvil 12.21.11 @ 4:30 pm

Here is what i dont get i have read on here Zeise says this or that and if you disagree with him alot of you even reed and chas will defend Zeise and tell us what a good job he does and how he knows things.
but today when what he says puts cristobal in a bad light you want to say zeise doesent know what he is talking abought becuse you support cristobal
i dont think Zeise makes things up you cant back him up one day and not belive him the next .

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 4:31 pm

FRANKCAM, I believe you criticized Zeise a few days ago and bought into the Trib article that said that Fickell wasn’t interviewed .. but as it turned out, he was the first one interviewed just as Zeise reported.

Comment by wbb 12.21.11 @ 4:36 pm

just a thought on money.. how much did wanny make, and graham make…and is there a big gap in christobal and chyrst..oh i heard if we get chyrst there is a chance dane would transfer any truth 2 that

Comment by hail2pitt 12.21.11 @ 4:40 pm

BTW, the FAN just reported that the Pitt admin requested J Dixon contact Bo Ryan for a personal reference of Chryst …. FWIW

Also, Barry Alvarez (area native) has been contacting local people with good things to say about him.

Lastly, Dejan from the Trib just tweeted that the committee should find out what Pederson’s choice is of the 2, then select the other one .. ha ha

Comment by wbb 12.21.11 @ 4:40 pm

Frank – who are you talking to? Not criticizing, but it seems like you are addressing someone in particular, but I can’t tell who it is. If it is me, I’d like to know so that I can answer you.

Comment by Pantherman13 12.21.11 @ 4:40 pm

Welp I was wrong about Fickell. Looks like it’s going to be Cristobal ladies and gentlemen.

Comment by Timmeh 12.21.11 @ 4:42 pm

I’ve been liking what I’m hearing about Chryst in the last few days, how he tailors his offense to his personnel and actually does a good job of it, and the dedication he shows to his players.

Comment by deepelemblues 12.21.11 @ 4:43 pm

I think some are overlooking the fact that Christobal coached at Rutgers. It is not like he never left the State of Florida before.

Comment by CBC 12.21.11 @ 4:44 pm

Cristobal or Chryst? Cristobal or Chryst? It’s a two horse race now, and I expect breaking news later this evening on either one of them.

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 4:45 pm

There are only three jobs in Florida that should be more attractive than Pitt, FSU, Florida and the U. I can not see the first two going after a U grad, so as long as Golden stays happy,we should be able to keep MC.
Florida is where the recruits are and this is a chance to make sure we get our share. Go fot it Stevie!

Comment by Jimbo 12.21.11 @ 4:46 pm

I’m imagining Cristobal on a private jet right now, somewhere over North Carolina, on his way back to Florida, with a big Cuban cigar in his mouth, celebrating the hashing out and signing of his new contract with Pitt.

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 4:51 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. I really appreciate the astute and detailed daily update on “THE SEARCH”. I must admit, however, the commentary is getting a wee bit tedious. May I reiterate what I posted a week ago? Pitt has three potentiakky fine choices. I would select Fickell or Chryst simply because of: INTEGRITY,STABILITY AND PROXIMITY. Not that Mario is not qualified, bur NOT AS QUALIFIED as the others, in my opinion. Frankly, last nite was akmostlike watching a replay of Pitt this past season. The endorsementsI’ve read about Messers. Chryst and Fickel have swayed me. But, as I said, any of the three is a step up from the HC from Texas by way of Tulsa. Like the rest of you, I’m eagerly awaiting the verdict. Rev. George from Columbus

Comment by Rev. George Mehaffey 12.21.11 @ 4:57 pm

wbb that is true but that was becuse i read some thing different in a different paper i did not pick to disagree just becuse it suited my view
if these peple had read some thing different that would be ok but just to say he is wrong with nothing to base it on is different

plus i dont think i said he was wrong i think if i recall my post i said something like who is right the trib or him

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 4:57 pm

Who would want Cristobal after last night?

Comment by Tony C 12.21.11 @ 4:57 pm

I never understood why, if someone was a great coach, people with ties from another school would call Pitt and try to push them out the door. It happened with PSU and Bradley and it sounds like it is happening again with Chryst.

Comment by CBC 12.21.11 @ 4:58 pm

FWIW, I don’t think Zeise has said anything today that puts Cristobal in a bad light. It doesn’t make Pitt’s administration look all that competent, IMHO, but that has little to do with Cristobal.

My opinion (and it is only that) is that Zeise is a pretty good beat reporter but is not nearly as good as a columnist/opinion person. His arguments tend to lack structure and he tends to get emotional rather than use reason to defend his opinions. He also sometimes mixes opinion into his reporting without distinguishing where one starts and the other ends. But in terms of digging up facts and reporting them, he is usually pretty good. That being said, even he admits that in these coaching searches, there is a lot of lying going on and it is difficult to figure out who to believe.

Lastly, I’ve stated many times that I would be fine with either Cristobal or Chryst, but I’d like to see the coach in place as soon as possible. I am somewhat disappointed with the spread of misinformation about Cristobal, particularly since most of it seems to be based on supposition rather than facts. That doesn’t mean that I have a strong preference for him over Chryst, however.

Comment by Pantherman13 12.21.11 @ 5:10 pm

“Who would want Cristobal after last night”.
Sudden death audition for a job…win the game or else! C…R…A…Z…Y !!!!!

Did you happen to notice that the FIU QB was not as talented as the Cristo from Marshall?
Are you at all aware how young the program at FIU is?

Judging a coaching hire based on only one game is
borderline insanity.

I have no problem with either candidate because we will be light years ahead of the low class team of Fraud and Penni.

Comment by isnore 12.21.11 @ 5:16 pm

pantherman13 no not you per say ithink 2 days ago i was the one who first posted what ZEISE said and iwas blasted then as if i made it up and sence then i have read how zeise is wrong in some way or form it is posted that way bye meany over the two days or so so not at you per say just saying he cant be right to day becuse it suits but wrong tomarrow becuse it doesent unless you read something from some else than you can ask which is right.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 5:17 pm

Thanks Rev. George!
Full agreement, we are speaking of two or three top choices (Cristobal, Chryst, Fickell).

Watching last night’s game did sway my oppinion. I have always written of my preference for a strong defense first – so no surprise I still prefer Fickell or Bud Foster from VT. It looks like they are out of the running according to the articles / posts.

I can support any of the the two or three – I see no reason to bash any of them (or their families or current schools).

Let’s keep our heads up high and stay classy.

Mill

Comment by Mill 12.21.11 @ 5:18 pm

It needs to be cryst. I’ll take one if the mist successful assistants in the country from a team that has avged 40 PTA and 400 yards since he’s been at Wisconsin, a team who’s been to consecutive rose bowls over fius hc who has reached two consecutive lower tier bowls and a sub .500 record regardless of the sanctions

Comment by pk 12.21.11 @ 5:26 pm

Chryst could be the next Foge. Just sayin.

Comment by TX Panther 12.21.11 @ 5:29 pm

Cristobal will be a success at Pitt!

Comment by Pittastic 12.21.11 @ 5:32 pm

This. I’m all for Chryst. I’m not completely sold on Christobal. Take a guy from a big time program who knows how big time programs are run and apply it at Pitt. No more of these middling MAC, Conf. USA, Sunbelt guys who are ready to take the next step. Save the “Welcome to BCS conference football” speeches, jokes, etc. for other programs.

Comment by MelbaPlace 12.21.11 @ 5:46 pm

Cryst or Cristobal.

One or the other, we appear to need a ‘Savior’ for PITT football.

For the uptenthed (sp) time it seems like in the last 45 years.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 5:46 pm

And they’re going to wait to announce this till tomorrow at 6pm, which is 2 hours before this:

MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV
$1,100,000 12/22/11
8:00pm
ESPN MWC #1 vs.PAC-12 #5
Boise State (11-1) vs Arizona State (6-6)
Computer Pick: Boise State by 16.03

Talk about irony.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 5:50 pm

If you look at the Wisc badgers recruits, a lot are from PA and the Mid Atlantic. I would be interested to see who is recruiting this area for them. If Chryst is hired, i hope he brings that guy with him.

Comment by Why me 12.21.11 @ 5:56 pm

So it Fraud Graham coaching ASU in the bowl game tomorrow? Hope that goes horribly.

Comment by MelbaPlace 12.21.11 @ 5:56 pm

No Melba,

ASU is letting Dennis Erickson, coach his final game for them. Sort of like a Swan Song.

I’m sure Fraud’s name will come during the broadcast and if PITT is scrolling at the bottom of the screen with a new coach hire, that will be something.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:02 pm

This might be a guy Chryst could bring. Recruiting coordinator for the Badgers. Got masters from Carnegie Mellon. From Belle Vernon PA.

link to uwbadgers.com

Comment by Why me 12.21.11 @ 6:03 pm

Hell the defensive coordinator coached at Pitt for 5 years. Charlie Partridge. Several guys on the badger staff with Pittsburgh ties.

Comment by Why me 12.21.11 @ 6:08 pm

Trib is reporting Chryst is now the front runner!

Comment by midwest panther 12.21.11 @ 6:13 pm

Someone metioned red flags and the ignoring of them. I have hired over 40 people in my lifetime and once HR is done with them, spend countless hours talking with them. Every single time I have let my heart rule over my head (ignoring red flags), I have gotten burned. Red flag overlooks on the last two hires have crushed the university. I don’t care if it takes a month, let’s get this one correct. To that point, Chryst seems the logical choice.

Comment by Dan 72 12.21.11 @ 6:19 pm

I’d be pretty surprised if Chryst was able to steal any assistant coaches away from Wisconsin. They’d need to have their heads checked for making that move. I can’t even begin to imagine where Chryst is going to get his staff. It’s like some of you guys people have conveniently forgotten the fact that Chryst is the OC at Wisconsin, NOT THE HEAD COACH. He has his head buried in playbooks and film all day and doesn’t even really do any recruiting.

I wish we were in a position to take a run at someone else more established (btw, where are the calls for Chris Petersen this time around????!!!!), but lets face facts. I like them both guys and think both can be successful, but I’ll take the guy that has significant experience running a program and doing all the things that Cristobal has done at FIU. There is no more a guarantee that Chryst will effectively be able to handle the rigors of the day-to-day management of a program than there is that Cristobal will stay 5 years.

I’d much rather have the guy that hits the ground running and is successful for 2 or 3 years than I guy that flounders because he needs to build a staff from scratch, cannot seal recruiting deals, keep boosters happy, meet with donor groups, strategize all three phases of the game, make gut check calls on game day and the other 1,000 things that makes a good head coach (I’m talking to you Walt Harris).

Was I frightened at the similarities between what FIU did last night offensively and what Pitt did all season? You bet. Unfortunately, we are as short on options as we are on time.

Comment by cnorwoodaz 12.21.11 @ 6:25 pm

@Why me

That would be great if Joe Rudolph from Belle Vernon came with Cryst. The guy went to Tepper School of business at CMU, so……..

They must have all these W. Penna connections because of Alvarez. He is guy PITT should have went after a long time ago. He would have made a great coach and a great AD, like he has at Wisky.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:31 pm

Following up on midwest panthers thread, here is the link that Chryst is the new front runner.

link to pittsburghlive.com

Comment by winedogs 12.21.11 @ 6:32 pm

I don’t think I can allow myself to be emotionally attached to anything involving this team for quite some time…

…ask me tomorrow

Ride the painted pony, let the spinnin’ wheel fly.

Comment by Cool Hand Nuke 12.21.11 @ 6:37 pm

The key paragraph in the Trib article:

Cristobal, whose Florida International squad lost to underdog Marshall, 20-10, in the Beef’ ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl on Tuesday, met Wednesday with FIU officials. He was identified as an early favorite for the Pitt job, but over the past two days, Pitt officials have not felt comfortable with his ties to the state of Florida or that he would remain at Pitt more than two years, sources said.

Read more: Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst emerges as Pitt’s top choice – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review link to pittsburghlive.com

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:38 pm

If you hire Chryst bring Austin in as defensive coordinator.

Comment by Spindler's Spirit 12.21.11 @ 6:40 pm

Which coach can guarantee to the fan base that Sunseri WON’T be the starting QB next year?

Pick that one ! haha

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:42 pm

TIME OUT

What, if anything has anybody heard about the search at Ped State U for a new coach?

Comment by isnore 12.21.11 @ 6:42 pm

Like it Spindler, may I suggest you get that off to the ‘inner circle’ up in Oakland.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:44 pm

IMHO Chryst reminds me of Hackett or my hero WLAT I really don’t care who they hire but they better be successful in putting together a very good recruiting class.

My only concern is it is a much different animal as a headcoach versus a coordinator. I guess Stevie P knows best.

I’m behind whatever decision our administration makes.

I just hope it is the correct one.

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 12.21.11 @ 6:46 pm

@isnore,

PENN STATE
Out: Tom Bradley, interim coach. Went 1-2 in final three games.
Potential candidates: Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, Green Bay Packers quarterback coach Tom Clements, Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, Virginia coach Mike London, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Harvard coach Tim Murphy, TCU coach Gary Patterson, Green Bay Packers safeties coach Darren Perry, Boise State coach Chris Petersen, Georgia coach Mark Richt, Stanford coach David Shaw
About the job: Penn State hasn’t needed to hire a coach since 1966 and hasn’t needed hire a coach from outside the program since 1950. With its tradition, it should be one of the 10 most attractive jobs in college football. But the Jerry Sandusky scandal has thrown the entire university into disarray. This job has so much negativity around it that finding a top-level coach willing to take the challenge may be tough.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:47 pm

Have a feeling that if cristobol met with Pitt and then fiu today he will be announced tomorrow. The trib has been out in left field on a lot of Pitt stuff so the mention of chryst is not a surprise. Plus, Pitt needs a guy with a staff that ready to go, not a guy who is bringing no one. Remember Wisconsin o before Russell Wilson was as exciting as the 6th round of the NFL draft, most of the big scores came against unlv and Indiana not Ohio state or Michigan state and certainly not tcu

Comment by John 12.21.11 @ 6:48 pm

I would love to see Cryst as HC with Austin as DC, and Charlie Partrudge with his FL connections as special teams coach … but of course won’t happen

Comment by wbb 12.21.11 @ 6:51 pm

Though I think this is more of a wish list that Ped State has, than an actual candidate list.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 6:53 pm

No young coach will bring on a potential replacement as a coordinator – rule Austin out.

Cristobal or bust!

And Pederson’s not going anywhere. If they are concerned about longevity, they’d fire him and let the new AD pick his own guy. Otherwise, any time the coach f’s up he’s looking over his shoulder because the AD doesn’t have a vested interest in him.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 6:54 pm

Lets say it is paul chryst he could bring half the ohio state staff if he wants to.
urban meyer will fire the old ohio state staff after the bowl game.
i dont think wisconsin would let him take more than one from there staff do you

and he would have to pick up some one who knows the ACC
And a top recruter becuse that is his weakness.
can you all think of any names.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 6:55 pm

Jory Randon KDKA reported that according to Paul Ziese, baring any complications, it now apears that it will be Paul Cgryst

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 6:57 pm

I at the point just announce who is willing to sign and save this class! LETS MOVE ON!

Comment by winedogs 12.21.11 @ 7:04 pm

Without the typos, Jory Rand on KDKA News reported that, according to Paul Zeise, it now appears it will be Paul Chryst, barring any complications.

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 7:06 pm

The key might be bringing the Joe Rudolph guy, he’s from PA, went to CMU and he’s the RECRUITING GUY for Wisky. Plus he coached at OSU as well, so he still has contacts over there in Columbus I would presume.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 7:07 pm

Chryst has been at Wisconsin since 2005. I’m sure he has developed strong relationships with the current staff and those that have gone elsewhere. I bet he can bring a couple with him. Who knows if the coaches he brings will benefit Pitt. Only time will tell.

Comment by Why me 12.21.11 @ 7:08 pm

Zeise says all signs point to Chryst on Twitter…BOOO. Pitt chickened out.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 7:10 pm

I hope its not just Cryst because they think he is the “safer” pick.

Cristobal is not Graham part 2. HEs a high character guy and everyone at FIU absolutely loved the guy.

Im not really leaning either way, but im nervous that theyre just gonna pick cryst because they are now afraid that someones gonna leave again after graham. If they pick cryst. great. but i hope he can recruit..

This is like after a girl goes out with the popular kid in school, she believed she changed him and believed him when he told her she was the only one for him. Then he moved onto the next girl, So the next guy that girl looks for is the “safe” guy. Thats what im afraid of..

Comment by rhyno527 12.21.11 @ 7:13 pm

i know this went right over your heads but ouio state whole staff will be there to pick from
urban will fire them after the bowl game he has a new staff ment ohio state staff

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 7:18 pm

Emel:
PSU has a fancy list of potential coaches and my guess is that it is going to cost a ton of moola to hire JoPa’s replacement. PSU will need to conserve money to respond to and pay for all the law suits that are sure to be coming down the Pike.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If the latest rumor /// RUMOR # 1,749 turns out to be true I believe that we will be in much better shape than we have been in the last 7-8 years. Chryst is a true college coach with very high level experience…is he dynamic, only time will tell. One thing is for sure I would absolutely bet my house that he does not have skeletons in his closet. Our recruiting efforts
must continue to ramp up and it is imperative that Chryst (if he is the one) make an effort to get the best talent possible to help him put a solid class together. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by isnore 12.21.11 @ 7:28 pm

If chryst, wonder if he tries ti keep patterson

Comment by Big Bill 12.21.11 @ 7:35 pm

We’re going to the ACC not the Big 10. I could care less about the Ohio State staff. The Big Ten doesn’t want us and we’ll never get there.

I’m fine with Cryst – he’s better than Fickell – but he’s a cop out. Pitt chickened out and didn’t take the necessary risk.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 7:36 pm

Frankcan, if you would type complete thoughts and sentences and use punctuation, some of us might actually read all of your posts. Are you so busy that you can’t go back and read your posts and correct them before submitting?

Sheezus. This is not a realtime chat room, we are not all sitting waiting for everyone post something. Take a breath, my good man.

Comment by Cnorwood 12.21.11 @ 7:38 pm

Comment by John 12.21.11 @ 7:43 pm

we just don’t know how either will turn out, but let’s face it, both seem to have enough merit to feel good enough that the team will have potential to move forward.

funny thing, I bet the Post-Gazette has 2 columns ready, one discussing the up and coming new coach from FL and his ability to tap into FL talent and another discussing our new coach from WI who would feel comfortable in Western PA’s football culture and bring a familiar style yadda yadda yadda.

In any case, I think it’s promising that 2 pretty good options are available.

It could be a lot worse….

Comment by JoeP 12.21.11 @ 7:44 pm

If Cryst is the choice, how much of the decision was based on the report that Cristobal was interested in the Pitt job but hesitant about moving to Pittsburgh. Looking out the window today, I can understand his hesitation about making the move from warm and sunny Florida.

Comment by rwolfy 12.21.11 @ 7:45 pm

I think I would be somewhat happier with Chryst. I have been to South Florida a number of times – not to mention I met my wife there (Eastere weekend in 2000 – Easter Sunday was 84 degrees and sunny, here it was 42)- and I cannot imagine Señora Cristobal would be happy in Pittsburgh for any reasonable length of time. Nor would I blame her. I’m a Western Pennsylvania native and I know the quirks and drawbacks of living here. The same amount of money buys much more house in the ‘Burgh, but there is no beach, no Miami Beach, no significant Latin American cuisine or culture here and there never will be.

Comment by Penguins Fan 12.21.11 @ 7:49 pm

“If it’s chryst we are back with the style a lot of you could not stand. Three conservative plays and a punt. I agree with above this of true is a cop out.”

Wannsy never had the talent on the o-line or a top QB to make that style work… Stull was his best QB, okay but also kinda meh at times. If Chryst gets it hopefully he’ll find more than 1 good lineman and 4 average-to-awful ones to protect Voytek.

All this explosion of rumor that Chryst has it reminds me of Monday when the same thing was said about Cristobal.

To the people who said Dixon should basically be in charge or the power behind the Athletic Department curtain, looks like you’re getting your wish. Dixon says he likes Chryst and all of a sudden Chryst is now the favorite.

Comment by deepelemblues 12.21.11 @ 7:49 pm

Agree isnore.

With Ped State in shambles we need to get our act together and in gear. This recruiting class is very good, can be saved and even added to.
Contrary to what Zeise says.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 7:58 pm

Chryst ran a very dynamic offense at Oregon in 2003 or 2004 and ran one this year at Wisky.

So he seems to be able run a power running game attack obviously, but if he has a good QB like at Oregon or this year at Wisky, he can also dial up a passing offense with still some power running.

What’s not to like. If it’s him it’s a good hire and really a very good hire.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:02 pm

93.7 the fan is reporting that our favorite PG reporter says an announcement should be tomorrow, like I suggested a couple hours before the Las Vegas Bowl, with our dear departed coach’s new team,
Arizona State to be steamrolled by Boise State.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:06 pm

I’m not getting excited about rumors. I remember when one of the local Pittsburgh TV stations mentioned that Pitt was about to hire Tom Bradley. Given the way things played out, perhaps Bradley would have been the right rumor.

Being a northern guy living in the south, I’d like to see Pitt hire someone from the snow belt. Of course I’d like to see Pitt offer Bill Cower the job but… I’m a dreamer. HTP

Comment by MariettaMike 12.21.11 @ 8:09 pm

Comment by Outlaw 12.21.11 @ 8:11 pm

and here’s Johnny…..

yes, suprise announcement from Smug Smile Steve, it’s gonna be,

Johnny Majors III !!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 12.21.11 @ 8:11 pm

Keep on posting FRANKCAN, most of us know, you get excited and words mix together….

No problem Frank.

Comment by Dan 12.21.11 @ 8:13 pm

ESPN didn’t like Graham’s classless departure, it will be interesting to see what talking points their TV announcers will use during the Bowl Game tomorrow night.

And if PITT announces tomorrow, that means, all game long, on the scroll, will read….PITT hires new Head Coach….whoever

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:14 pm

Johnny Majors III…..lol

How about Dave Wanndstedt II

You know how fond of Wanny, Smiley is.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:17 pm

“Lets not lose sight of the fact that a large part of Fraud Grahams top 20 recruiting class was recruited to match the “High Crocktane” offense. Do not be surprised if we lose a good portion of this recruiting class. If so, how much further behind does this set the program back? I, along with most on this blog, want more than anything for Pitt to rise to the heights I was accustomed to while growing up. I just have LARGE reservations about a guy whose recruiting abilities are somewhat non-existent.”

chryst’s offenses average 40+ points a game, is anything you’re saying really making sense from that perspective?

Comment by deepelemblues 12.21.11 @ 8:18 pm

That same Bradley rumor had him bringing 4 assistants with him. Jay Paterno, Mcqueary and 2 others to Pitt along with Austin. Wouldn’t that had been a fun dynamic. Interesting a lot of guys were looking to get out of Penn State last year, even if it meant going to Temple. Oh well I will wait until the press conference.

link to pittsburgh.sbnation.com

Comment by ccdpitt 12.21.11 @ 8:20 pm

Voytik, Shell & the big O-lineman from Fox Chapel can play in any kind of offense.

The twins from Ohio can as well. As there aren’t any spreads that have been run in the MidWest up to this point. Maybe Northwestern.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:20 pm

I wonder since this hire seems more contentious which camp won. It’s no secret of my dislike for Smilin Steve, if I were a betting man I would figure he was a Cristobal guy.

It will be interesting to see what plays out moving forward.

DaveD

Comment by DaveD 12.21.11 @ 8:21 pm

Devin Steet has lots of good things to say about Chryst. Has talked to current and former Pitt players about him. He’s hearing nothing but good things.

D_Street_15Dev Street 1?5?

Just talked to a Wisconsin player and he said Paul Chryst is a players coach and a cool guy also a great COACH !! Come on hire him already

D_Street_15Dev Street 1?5?

Thats what i like to hear !! RT @jccolange @D_Street_15 done deal. Just got word from a close friend. Announced tomorrow!!!

D_Street_15Dev Street 1?5?

Yep RT @the_RVS @D_Street_15 did you talk to a former Pitt TE?

D_Street_15Dev Street 1?5?

Already did RT @jshepler66 @D_Street_15 Check the real scoop from Zach Brown.

D_Street_15Dev Street 1?5?

3 out of 3 players said they love Chryst ! Early Christmas present (crossing my fingers)

Comment by Steelfan 12.21.11 @ 8:22 pm

Devin Street is on board with Chryst as the HC reports The Fan.

As is Beano Cook, this looks like a done deal.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:23 pm

Absolutely it does. How many of these recruits did he have a hand in “closing the deal” on? Apparently not many from the reports. We do not and have not had an offensive line as physically imposing as they possess at Wisconsin. The deal is this, I want WHOEVER the coach is to succeed at a very high level so this is not meant in any way to bash Chryst. You dont have to agree with my opinion, much like I dont have to agree with yours.

Comment by Outlaw 12.21.11 @ 8:25 pm

Zeise says it’s Chryst. Let’s hope he’s a great recruiter and lets hope his offensive genius makes Pitt a top 10 team.

Comment by Velvil 12.21.11 @ 8:26 pm

Chryst sounds like a Wanny type guy EXCEPT that Wanny could recruit. Don’t expect as good of results if you hire him. I am afraid that the Pitt administration, as usual, will make the safe and gutless pick. We will be going through all this again in three years.

Comment by Houston Panther 12.21.11 @ 8:27 pm

From Zach Brown…

@WatKANuDo4Brown What do you think of Pitt likely hiring your old OC at Wisky. #H2P

WatKANuDo4Brown Zach Brown

@jshepler66 I think it will be a great move! Not only is he a great coach but he’s a great person as well!

Comment by Steelfan 12.21.11 @ 8:27 pm

I read today Dayne Crist narrowed his decision to Kansas and Wisconsin. I wonder how this will play out now. Can Crist really attend any school he wants or ND need to ok it?

Graham, Shell, and Bennett in backfield next year looks good if our line holds up.

Comment by Why me 12.21.11 @ 8:28 pm

CNorwood—if FRANKCAN took a breath and slowed down, well, he wouldn’t be FRANKCAN! one of the most informed, passionate posters on here. He’s worth deciphering and gets more “scoops” than most.

good question on Chryst: who would he bring in as a staff? Any indications? Cristobal would presumably bring most of his current staff. Would like to see a strong QB coach come in with new HC, for obvious reasons.

Comment by Bossdaws 12.21.11 @ 8:29 pm

Yeah, his offense is just like Wanny’s, except for the scoring lots of points and winning games part…in a tougher conference.

Comment by Matt N. 12.21.11 @ 8:29 pm

@Houston Panther,

When did Wanny’s offenses average 40 ppg and be in the Top 10 of NCAA offenses?

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:32 pm

This doesn’t compare to Wanny or Paul “can’t” Hackett in any way shape or form.

Comment by MelbaPlace 12.21.11 @ 8:33 pm

Very interesting Why me.

Can Chryst bring Crist with him as a QB or will it be Cristobal. lmao

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:34 pm

Dan thank you when that happens i think abought stoping than some one is kind like you and i know i can go on.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 8:35 pm

Good Point Bossdaws,

Frankcan’s post are worth deciphering.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:38 pm

Wow, talk about pouring gasoline on the fire!

link to cbssports.com

Comment by Steelfan 12.21.11 @ 8:40 pm

Bossdaws thank you very much.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 8:43 pm

Dokish is reporting, Chryst and PITT are working out contract details.

Might be time to put some Champagne on ice.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 8:45 pm

If it is Chryst, what do you think Brock Decicco is thinking right now. He left Pitt for Wisconsin and now his current OC might be the head coach at his old school. Graham hurt many people.

Comment by winedogs 12.21.11 @ 8:45 pm

Report from a WI Badgers site.

link to wiscobadgers.com

Comment by Steelfan 12.21.11 @ 8:46 pm

Keep posting Frankcan. You want the same thing that the rest of us want…PITT excellence. That aspect alone should unite us as PITT fans.

HAIL TO PITT!

Comment by Outlaw 12.21.11 @ 8:47 pm

I like Chryst over Cristobal. Also there’s an outstanding (Dodson)OT that has a soft verbal to Wisconsin. Could Chryst bring a recruit or two with him to Pitt????? I wondered if anyone thought about this.

Comment by beanboy 12.21.11 @ 8:54 pm

Hey I went back and forth on both these guys. I don’t think either one would have been a bad choice. Remember Paul Chryst is a very successful and a highly respected coach. The important thing now is that we support him and that he gets off to a good start here. With his experience and background, I have no doubt that he will put together an excellent staff. Hopefully he can hit the ground running. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 8:59 pm

thank you EMel thank you Outlaw i will try to slow down

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 9:03 pm

I hope all the reports are true re. Chryst. I liked all the candidates but he seems safer. Cant wait for the official announcement. Hail to pitt

Comment by pittisit37 12.21.11 @ 9:06 pm

It’s Chryst. Check the p-g. Good choice. Very stable guy.

Comment by AtlantaPanther 12.21.11 @ 9:06 pm

IMO, its just complete bullcrap that much of Pitt’s current recruit class will bail if Chryst is hired. Absolute nonsense! There is nobody in that class who would not have a good chance to play and contribute in any offensive system.

Comment by pitt1972 12.21.11 @ 9:06 pm

Will the script come back???????

Comment by Chicken Little 12.21.11 @ 9:17 pm

I will support chryst but I really think ‘safe’ should not be the most common adjective to describe a new coach in my opinion.

Comment by John 12.21.11 @ 9:22 pm

You are very welcome Frankcan !

You don’t have to slow down for me. You just be yourself friend !

Veritas et Virtus

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 9:23 pm

Anyone else worried we took the one who does not like to recruit over 2 that are by all reports great at it??

Comment by John 12.21.11 @ 9:25 pm

Yes Chicken Little,

We want the script and the Mustard Yellow and Old Blue. We want the script and the Mustard Yellow and Old Blue….We want….

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 9:25 pm

Perhaps Wisconsin owes us a good coach, since

we sent Pittsburgher and Greenfield native Mike McCarthy to the Wisconsin Green Bay Packers as Head Coach. Wisconsin owes Pittsburgh a good coach in return. Seems fair to me !

Hail to Pitt !

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 9:30 pm

Dear New Pitt Coach,
I wish you all the best and look forward to gameday! I hope that this is the beginning of the next great chapter in Pitt football history. Hail to Pitt!

Comment by BomberSunshine 12.21.11 @ 9:39 pm

FRANKCAN you are a one a kind and a very much appreciated poster on Pitt Blather…keep on Blathering!!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pitt script will come back when Smiling Stevie becomes the new AD at SouthwesternNortheastern Arizona Junior College for Prison Parolees.
(Wow, doesn’t that new coach at SWNE AZ JC look like Penni’s ex-husband).

Comment by isnore 12.21.11 @ 9:45 pm

Message to Paul Chryst.

Carpe Diem!………….and Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Justinian 12.21.11 @ 9:47 pm

FRANKCAN – I just don’t like Ohio State. Before I went to Pitt, I was a Michigan fan and some things just don’t die…and over the years I’ve just come to dislike Big Ten ball. Like I said, I like Cryst – I just think it was a cop out. I preferred Cristobal and his hot wife.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 9:59 pm

isnore thank you

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 10:02 pm

Post on FRANKCAN. Sometimes I scroll the comments just hoping to find one of your brain teasers. In fact, lately you’ve been almost too easy. Hail to Frank, Hail to Pitt.

Comment by marcus of schaumburg 12.21.11 @ 10:04 pm

Tossing Thabeets the wife was nice.
but just think soon we get to have moore fun trying to guess who will be on the new staff.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 10:10 pm

Carpe diem, carpe acc, carpe linemen! Hopefully we will start recruiting OL and DL like they had at Wisky.

I think the recruits that have already signed will thrive in the Chryst system. Now let’s get some big boys and wrap this class up strong. Oh, did I say Chryst is in?

Comment by dhuffdaddy 12.21.11 @ 10:10 pm

Check out 93.7 the fan now fellow Panthers. It’s all about the Panthers and our possible new HC.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 10:12 pm

Don’t forget where Nordy went to Law School Ladies and Gents……. UW

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 12.21.11 @ 10:12 pm

Dokish already says it may be Cristobal’s Orlando…that would be an awkward conversation. Sorry you didn’t get the gig, but I’m going.

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 10:14 pm

We just now need to get Dayne Crist and we shall be christened, so to speak.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 10:14 pm

And to all a good night

It’s Chryst

WEDNESDAY, 21 DECEMBER 2011 21:37 WRITTEN BY PAUL ZEISE
I’ve been tweeting about it all night and writing stories about it – but I realized I didn’t update my blog for the readers.

Quickly – because I have to finish some things and make some more phone calls – in case you missed it, Pitt is going to hire Paul Chryst.

I will have much more in a later blog post.

Comment by steve 12.21.11 @ 10:14 pm

Orlando for D-Coordinator that is…

Comment by Tossing Thabeets 12.21.11 @ 10:15 pm

I like both Chryst and Cristobal. What worries me though, is that Chryst has not shown to be a good recruiter, and that is of utmost importance. Also, he hasn’t shown he can be a head coach, and that is never a given. Since the question about Cristobal is about whether he will be willing to stay in Pgh., and all that is speculation (who is to guarantee that Chryst will stay?), I’d have to say that Cristobal is less of a risk.

Comment by auggiefromlatrobe 12.21.11 @ 10:17 pm

I’ve come around on Chryst, I’m ready to roll with this. Maybe after two regimes of style over substance — Wanny’s yinzer roots and Graham’s high octane — an understated, successful tactician will work best. Asst coaching hires will be crucial: Let’s get a DC in here with energy, effective recruiter, etc.

I enjoy Frankcan, and I’ve found his comments more level-headed and rational than most recently. Although i do often read the all-CAPS posts and envision Will Ferrell’s old SNL character of the guy with voice modulation disorder.

Comment by JW 12.21.11 @ 10:20 pm

MERRY CHRYSTMAS, A new savior is born!

Comment by TigerPaul 12.21.11 @ 10:23 pm

Schaumburg thank you i think.
look i am not saying chryst is looking at these coachs
but here are 2 names for you to think over.
chad glasgow was the DC at texas tec very bright left 3 days ago,
rick kaczenski was iowa defensive line coach left 2 days ago.
i dont even know if chryst knows them but what the hell .

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 10:29 pm

Please, please reserve judgement either way on this hire until can see what the coach can do on the field. Graham turned out not to be the first coming of Johnny Majors. One thing about Todd Graham that irritated me was that he could not adapt his system to his players or so he said. How can that type of coach make in game adjustments? Does he go out at half time and get people off the street? Also assuming Mike Haywood had managed to control his temper, how may people believe Pitt would have done worse than Graham’s 6-6 season?

I will comment on the coaching hire after I see what he does for at least one whole season or at least I think I will, after all I am a Pitt alum and fan!

Comment by John In South Carolina 12.21.11 @ 10:29 pm

How did they manage to get Tony Orlando from FIU and Paul Chryst from Wisconsin?

Best of both worlds?

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 10:30 pm

Like I said earlier, I expected to hear late breaking news on either one of these guys this evening. This wasn’t going to stay hush-hush until Friday/Saturday.

This recruiting class is sticking together, bet the house on it.

Hail to Pitt!

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 10:32 pm

JW thanks i am old and i do get in a rush some times no modulation . some times a spot of vino.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 10:38 pm

You got to love a guy who gave Ped State their worst beating in years 45-7.

Give me some that !

HTP !

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 10:40 pm

Is Mark Meyer now a valid QB option for Pitt again?

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 10:41 pm

Great pick! I think Pitt FINALLY got it right!

HTP

Comment by Pitt Is IT 12.21.11 @ 10:42 pm

Christ is the new Pitt head coach!!!

Since when did Pitt allow Tim Tebow to make coaching choices for them?

Oh wait…

::rereads headline::

…. darnit, it’s just Paul Chryst.

Comment by Jimbo Covert's My Dad 12.21.11 @ 10:43 pm

Welcome, Coach Chryst. May good fortune find you here in Pittsburgh.

Keep up the good work, FRANKCAN!

Let’s go Pitt!

Comment by Bowling Green Panther 12.21.11 @ 10:47 pm

If Voytik is a mobile QB, Chryst should do well with him after this past season with Russell Wilson.

I preferred Cristobal, but I also like Chryst.

Comment by Jimbo Covert's My Dad 12.21.11 @ 10:48 pm

Somebody tell me why is should be excited about this? Obviously, Chryst was not the first choice, so that’s not good. But what’s worse is that this guy runs another boring pro style offense. It can work in the Big Ten and SEC but its not gonna work up here, as we saw with Wanny. Western PA simply doesn’t have the big horses up front to run a pro style. Throw in the fact that Chryst supposedly has no personality or charisma and doesn’t like to recruit. College football is built on relationships and recruiting and sadly I don’t see Chryst thriving in this aspect. Say what you want about TG, but the guy was about to bring in arguably Pitt’s best recruiting class. TG gets jobs because he’s a salesman that can talk you into anything. Guys like Chryst, Foster, and Bradley, who are good guys, lack this charisma that is so important in college sports. Things are bad when you can’t even talk the coach at FIU to come to PITT. I was a Fickell supporter, I’m all in with Chryst now but I don’t see how this is a good hire on any level. Apparently, Tony Wise will be coming back to Pitt. Might as well just bring Wanny back.

Comment by Alex P 12.21.11 @ 10:54 pm

I’m a fan of the hire…I don’t think Chryst will leave anytime soon (3-5) years…and he’l be able to make his brand of football over a period of time..he’l be fine….and make pitt a good job..if he wants to stay or others who want to come..

Comment by pitt-for-life 12.21.11 @ 10:59 pm

Comment by Alex P 12.21.11 @ 10:54 pm

You should be overjoyed that Chryst was not the first choice of one Smiley Pederson.

Comment by Emel 12.21.11 @ 11:02 pm

Bowling GREEN PATHER THANK YOU.

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 11:02 pm

Digdug(formerly Dugdog) one of the best questions of the night.
Meyer’s value increases tenfold of Chryst puts in a pro style offense (anti-high octane). Our “favorite” QB Tino, son of Sal, can’t play pro or octane or single wing. It would be amazing if over the next 8 months he suddenly develops arm strength and accuracy…it ain’t gonna happen.
Meyer, however, might have the right tools for
a pro offense (OBVIOUSLY A HUGE ?). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment by isnore 12.21.11 @ 11:04 pm

you have the OC of the number #4 ranked offense as your new head coach…what a win!

Comment by markp 12.21.11 @ 11:14 pm

Did you guys read that article posted by Steelfan?? Graham actually wants me to believe he gave up a $2 mill per yr job without knowing if ASU would hire him??!!!

Get real, dude. The pants on fire meter has just blown a gasket.

Comment by square44 12.21.11 @ 11:19 pm

isnore, iagree. Pun intended. Though Chryst isn’t a Pitt man, he obviously has western PA and Pitt ties. Does Sal try to pull a few strings? Let’s hope not. This could get very interesting.

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 11:25 pm

square44, the article is still all about “me, me, me!”

Comment by Digdug(Formerly Dugdog) 12.21.11 @ 11:26 pm

GOOD NIGHT ALL

Comment by FRANKCAN 12.21.11 @ 11:27 pm

Sounds like Chryst is Wanny without the recruiting ability or the head coaching experience. Sounds like his most favorable quality may be that he will stay. I wish him well, but it looks to me like Cristobal turned the job down.

Comment by auggiefromlatrobe 12.21.11 @ 11:51 pm

FRANKCAN – I’m not sure what you mean about us posters and Zeise.

He’s the local PITT beat writer who producers way more info and opinions about PITT than any other media writer so of course we are going to reference him.

That is what we do on here. We write articles about PITT football, and Chas about other PITT issues and other sports, and pepper quotes and links in the text so that YOU GUYS can follow up and read more detailed stuff.

But I don’t remember either Chas or I ever saying that Zeise is not wrong sometimes – he certainly is and sometimes we’ll acknowledge and make fun of that.

Lets all be honest here. Chas and I know some people who are around the program but we sure as hell aren’t “Insiders” like Zeise and others who make a living covering PITT. Basically I get info from reading the news & blogs about PITT football then try to write something that catches and keeps your interest and is fun to read. So, I need Paul Zeise for me to be able to do that. But the bottom line is that sometimes PITT just doesn’t release any information about issues and this is one of those times.

I find that when I go back and re-read Zeise’s articles about PITT football he is almost always correct or semi-correct about issues and specific items… the bottom line is that some readers disagree personally with what he says so they think that makes him wrong, but that isn’t the case.

A case in point was how Graham was handling Mark Myers and the QB situation. Zeise reported that Myers didn’t grasp Graham’s offense well enough for Graham or the OCs to put him in. It was true, Myers didn’t. Fans think there was some grand conspiracy involved and that because the HC ‘dumbed down’ the offense it made the point invalid. However, what those fans don’t get is that any ‘dumbing’ down was done for the OL and the WRs and the essence of it was slowing down from the quick tempo so that those positions could grasp the play calls better to lessen penalties (OL) and allow the receivers to get to thier spots on timing plays.

But that didn’t impact what was required from the QB at all, he still had to grasp 100% of what everyone else on the offense was required to do on every single play. Zeise was completely correct on this issue regarding Myers but because Sunseri’s play was poor they just assumed Zeise was wrong about the situation and he wasn’t.

Also, Zeise (as do many others) swings and misses on big ticket issues sometimes like who PITT will hire, etc in the past. But at least Zeise comes straight out and says ‘look, everyone I talk to is lying and they don’t know anymore facts about this then I do’. Which is true.

That said, I cringe at his opinionated stances sometimes and I really don’t like the way he sometimes ridicules his readers or the PITT fans who disagree with him. In a real sense his approach is “my way or the highway” when it comes to discussing PITT football and he invalidates other’s opinions that are just as valid as his. Again, I’m pretty opinionated also and I know some of you all cringe when you read some things I talk about but the difference is that I’m doing this as a hobby and for fun, and for you guys truth be told, and Paul Zeise has a much more formal stage.

Comment by Reed 12.22.11 @ 8:52 am