October 19, 2011

Myers Rising?

Filed under: Coaches,Football,Players — Reed @ 10:36 pm

In Paul Ziese’s Red Shirt Diaries he reports that because of an injury Mark Myers may slide into the #2 QB slot this week.  Apparently Trey Anderson has tendinitis in his throwing hand, which he got by constantly patting Sunseri on the back while saying “Keep doing what you’re doing, Tino. Don’t worry about my playing time.”

Actually it was this as quoted in the P-G:  “Anderson has tendinitis in his throwing wrist. Dodge said it is an old injury that has become inflamed and so Anderson needs to rest it.

This makes an for interesting situation because now Myers could be one snap away from seeing extended playing time, depending on the severity of Anderson’s, and in turn, Sunseri’s injuries.

Which harks back to the issue that we (well, DRW and I mostly) have been discussing on here so much lately;  if that comes to pass (pun intended) does Graham modify his offense to fit Myers, or have Myers try to play in this current offense as fielded, or does he switch Gonzalez back to QB and retain the offense also?

Or… even if Sunseri doesn’t get injured does the staff create packages for Myers to avoid the read-option and still get a look at playing time as QB2? That would be something I’d like to see because just like everyone else I’m looking forward to seeing him in actual action.

Exciting things to consider. If it is a short duration (few series) for Myers’s window of opportunity then Graham should play right to his strengths which is to have him in the shotgun and pray the OL holds up long enough for the receivers to get open and for Myers to stay upright to get the ball to them.  This is the problem that has been dogging our passing game since (before and) after the USF game.

If Myers is needed for more than a few series or a even whole game then Graham has a tough decision to make with how he approaches playcalling.  As I’ve stated, I’m of the mind that Graham will think going forward with the offense as installed is as much, if not more, important then getting a win or two.  I don’t see Myers thriving in the triple read option that the current QBs have to run so things would probably have to change to accommodate him.

So,  something that hasn’t been talked about much is that changing the passing game at this point back to a more traditional set for fitting someone with Myers abilities means changing horses in mid-stream for the OL.  Since spring practice they have been executing on one set of coaching and directions – it would be interesting to see if they could handle a major change in approach at this point.

Ziese also makes a point to ask point blank about Myers’s travails this season…

So today, I asked it very direct – “why isn’t Mark Myers being given a shot”? I can’t ask it any more directly than that. The answer was equally as direct. “Mark Myers continues to be a viable option on our football team but quite frankly, he wasn’t the best option [for the back-up spot] at the start of our season and as we have continued through our season,” Dodge said.

He said simply put, the team started camp with Sunseri as the starter and Myers as the back-up and Trey Anderson came in and “lit it up” and won the job as the back-up quarterback over Myers. He said once that happened and camp ended, there is just no way to get enough reps for more than two quarterbacks and as a result, Myers has gotten very little work and the work he has gotten, he hasn’t seized the opportunity and made a case for a longer look.

Ziese expounded on that in his Q&A today:

“Q: The question I have is how far off is Mark Myers at quarterback and does Graham ever state what’s preventing Meyers from being in the rotation, I mean he can’t be any worse then Tino or Trey can he?

Sean Farr, Pittsburgh

ZEISE: Mark’s sense of urgency and focus was lacking for much of the summer and into camp and as a result coaches felt like he didn’t seem particularly that interested in truly competing for the job. So he fell way down the list — Todd Dodge thought that moving Trey Anderson ahead of him would be a wake up call during camp and light a fire under him. It didn’t work and he became the odd man out.”

Sounds like Myers has snapped out of it.  Interesting times my friends…

P/S: Read the whole Red Shirt Diary for today – lots of good info.

check out occupy heinz field, I know Pitt fans won’t show up for next weeks game which could make this real ugly

Comment by scooter1954 10.19.11 @ 11:31 pm

Very Interesting as Colonel Klink would say.

What a hoot if Myer’s had to play for whatever reason and TG had to modify the offense. Sanctity that this offense is apparently.

Or if Myers is called on and he hit’s it out of the park. Not likely, but we can wish can’t we.

Let the Football Gods play this out, like a Shakespearean play. You all deserve this for your demagoguing of DW. hahahaha

Comment by EMel 10.19.11 @ 11:37 pm

For clarity & educational purposes:

dem·a·gogue
? ?[dem-uh-gog, -gawg] Show IPA noun, verb, -gogued, -gogu·ing.
noun
a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people

Comment by EMel 10.19.11 @ 11:47 pm

America is full of these today

Comment by EMel 10.19.11 @ 11:48 pm

Changing the offense mid season is an option but not a realistic option. Many Pitt fans wanted a spread offense, we just have to be patient for it. Adding pro sets will prolong the agony into next season.

Comment by notrocketscience 10.20.11 @ 6:00 am

EMel, this is an interesting turn of events and, as I tried to convey above, offers a Rubik’s Cube amount of possibilities.

I do agree with Notrocket above though – I can’t see Graham scrapping what they have worked so hard to install mainly because it sets their plans back if they do.

Another thing to consider is if, because he’s the temp #2, the staff will even entertain the thought of switching QBs mid-game as they had in the past with having the two guys both capable of working the triple option (such as it were).

I can’t help but think there isn’t a correlation between the strong pronouncements from Graham saying “We are sticking with Sunseri as full time QB, no more substitutions” on Sunday and Monday… then this news leaks out that Anderson can’t go and Myers fleets up. It’s almost as if Graham and Dodge are setting the groundwork by telling the public that even though Myers has found himself in the #2 spot – don’t get your hopes up on seeing him play.

The whole off-season and training camp issues between the staff and Myers obviously affected thier relationship, and Myers’s playing status, more than people knew and so the timing of Dodge coming out and finally telling the beat writers how badly Myers shot himself in the foot is curiously well placed.

Here is an excerpt from Ziese that I didn’t put into the post:

“I asked point blank the Mark Myers question of Todd Dodge because I am tired of getting e-mails saying we are all too chicken to ask the question. First off, there is no question I am afraid to ask of anyone and second off, we’ve asked it plenty of times and plenty of different ways and the answer has always been the same – Mark Myers did not endear himself to coaches with his work ethic in the offseason, he came into camp a bit in the doghouse and even though he was handed the second-string job, he didn’t reach out and grab it and he ended up getting beat out by Trey Anderson.” That’s pretty strong stuff.

Before Graham had said “Myers isn’t really a fit for this offense” or “Myers was outplayed by Anderson“…both true points. But now its ‘Not only that, but his attitude sucked, he didn’t work that hard and he didn’t want to be here at all‘. I’m paraphrasing here obviously but that was the gist of it.

Whatever shakes out I think it is safe to say that every PITT fan wants to see what Myers can do out on the field. I just wonder if that’s going to happen unless injuries force Graham’s hand.

Comment by Reed 10.20.11 @ 6:24 am

I always hope for the blowout game when the back ups can actually get some decent reps….never happens with Pitt. Maybe this coming week :-)

Comment by notrocketscience 10.20.11 @ 6:28 am

Unless the OL decides to step up their pass protection for Sunseri, it will only be a matter of time until Tino comes out on the short end of a QB pancake. Then this hypothetical discussion becomes reality real quick.

Better have the #2 QB get his head screwed on right fast, who every that is from week to week cause, only a play away from having it come his way.

Comment by Dr. Tom 10.20.11 @ 6:48 am

^^^ Ain’t that the truth. We’ll see Sunseri out there based on what is probably the strangest description of decision making I’ve ever heard in sports…

“Todd Dodge, the quarterbacks coach, went into more detail about Sunseri and why it was decided that he was the best option despite the way he has played for most of this season. He said there were “glimpses” in the Maine game and New Hampshire game and most of the Iowa and South Florida game and those are the cut-ups of film that he has used to try and “paint a picture” of just how good Sunseri can be when he executes the offense. He said in those glimpses, Sunseri has been very good and he is the only quarterback who has had glimpses like that. “

It was pretty apparent, at least to me, that at this point Sunseri was going to go back to being full time, especially now that Anderson can’t play. But isn’t is too bad when your best bet at QB is completely based on “glimpses”. That’s a pretty feeble body of work and doesn’t make anyone feel that optimistic about the future QB play.

Comment by Reed 10.20.11 @ 6:59 am

There is talk about changing offensive strategy as if it is such a big deal. Football plays are not rocket science. Our offense is pathetic; it needs changing. Worry about next year, next year. Our seniors deserve better. If Myer’s is the solution, then use Myer’s and change-up the offense if it needs to be modified. After all, these are college kids who should be able to handle change. Pitt needs a spark to get enthusiasm back into this season. TG did not pick these players but he should play with the hand he is dealt. Waiting for next year has been Pitt’s mantra so long that even my Blue and White friends say, well, at least you have basketball.

We always talk about next year as if it is the silver bullet. Let’s be in the now. Unless Pitt football improves their performance on the field now, how can we expect to attract high-caliber talent. Just my (frustrated) two cents. HTP!

Comment by MariettaMIke 10.20.11 @ 7:23 am

I thought Myers ran the spread offense in high school? Our players are open down field in every game I’ve watched this year and nobody gets the ball to them. If he can throw the long ball it could be what we need to open lanes for the run game. I haven’t seen this kid but maybe he runs like Big Ben 3 steps = 9 yards.
Go PITT!!!

Comment by Tackle made by Hugh 10.20.11 @ 8:09 am

FYI – from Mike White, Post-Gazette high school writer:

I spoke with the coach of Pitt quarterback recruit Chad Voytik yesterday. Voytik plays at Clevleand High in Tennessee and his coach believes Voytik is ready to play as a true freshman at Pitt. I’ll have a small story in Friday’s Varsity Xtra section of the Post-Gazette.

Voytik is having a good season. His statistics aren’t eye-popping, but he might not have the greatest talent around him this season. The team is 4-4. By the way, Pitt fans can see Voytik play live Friday night. His game is on ESPNU at 8 p.
——————————–
I would doubt that Voytik would start next year .. buy who knows?

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 8:10 am

Reed: Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Gonzalez the #2 QB until his Summer slip-up? I realize TG had to make a statement with him and to him, but he’s getting playing time so he must be out of the doghouse. Is he even getting a look at QB?

IMO, he’s a much better fit for the offense than Myers because of his athleticism and running ability. I think I read he’s the worst passer among all the QB prospects, which may be a reason he’s not, but I’m not sure if that came from someone who’s watched practices or one of the posters here.

IMO, the coaching staff needs to be working on how to get Tino away from the rush by adjusting the blocking schemes, running more play-action and rollout pass plays, and getting some of those smaller quicker receivers more into the mix. They don’t need to be working on a new system or packages to fit in the new backup QB, even if he’s somehow seen the light. If they had confusion before, they’ll certainly have more of it by doing that.

I have nothing against Myers. He might have been super in the former pro set system. But he needs to perform in the current system, period. If he can, play him. If he can’t, give Gonzalez a shot. Again, my usual disclaimer: I don’t care who plays QB or any other position for that matter as long as Pitt wins!

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 8:23 am

Graham is not changing the passing game, get this through your heads.

We are stuck with Tino for the rest of the year.

Nothing is changing.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS

Comment by H.landPitt 10.20.11 @ 8:35 am

Tampa T –

Anderson made the Gonzalez switch easy because it gave Graham three QB and the luxury to get a new 3-back. But Gonzalez’s passing really doesn’t cut it at this level – thus the move also.

As for him getting a look at QB? Not really, actually none at all.

However, IMO, if Sunseri goes down I think we’ll see Gonzalez moved back asap for not only back up play but depending how long Sunseri is down for maybe even to get in and play.

Comment by Reed 10.20.11 @ 8:42 am

nice post, Reed. especially the REAL cause of Trey’s tendonitis. Read Dodge’s comments and then Tino’s “confidence returns” article, and couldn’t help but think of ye old definition of insanity: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

UConn’s D will target Ray as did Rutgers & Utah, so Tino will have to confidently perform or many of us might get our wish and see Myers. I don’t expect him to be a savior. I just want to see the kid in action on the field, for a couple qtrs at least.

Maybe Nix will return and upgrade the o-line and provide a sec or 2 more time to throw. Maybe H. Graham and Shanahan will get more tosses from a QB who can see over the rush. Maybe Street will hold onto a long pass thrown accurately. Maybe 3-5 is more probable than all of the above. HTP

Comment by Bossdaws 10.20.11 @ 8:44 am

Actually changing the offensive strategy would be a HUGE deal. It’s a big part of the problem we are seeing every game. Many of these kids have been in the program for 3, 4 or even 5 years and have been taught a certain way to do things.

Then TG and staff comes in and basically changes everything on them. It’s all completely new and old habits have to broken. They changed terminology, assignments, technique, reads, footwork, how you line up/formations. It’s all different.

Football is very much a read and react sport. You can’t take time to think about what you are supposed to be doing. TG said during the Spring and Summer practices that they were playing too slow. This is a big reason for that.

Comment by Pitt89 10.20.11 @ 8:46 am

Who can give the particulars on Walt Harris’ 2000 or 2001 season? As I recall, he tried playing the spread. Pitt was 1-5, and Walt figured, “Hey, this is no good.” He then scrapped that offense, and Pitt won six in a row. Is my memory correct?

Does anyone believe that TG will eventually try to adapt his offense (and defense) to the talent on hand?

Comment by BigGuy 10.20.11 @ 8:46 am

If I am coach Graham, and I am getting blistered everywhere for the team’s failings, and I have a QB who can throw long and accurate, I am playing him somehow!

Comment by Dan 72 10.20.11 @ 8:49 am

The 2nd string guy is always the best thing since sliced bread. After Myers who is it…Ronald Jones since he played QB in high school.

Walt Harris went back to his original O because changing offenses between seasons was too difficult. Graham has to stick with his plan. No turning back. It takes more than one year.
Take a look at the good spread teams, their O’s have different looking players than Pitt does. I still think Pitt ends the season strong.

Comment by notrocketscience 10.20.11 @ 9:15 am

If we can’t get the OL straightened out, maybe we can get Tino some high heeled sneakers!

Comment by CompLit 10.20.11 @ 9:20 am

He must really be in the doghouse.

Coach Graham must have known about Andersons injury right???? Of course. Myers would be #2.

Then the next day, paraphrasing, “we’re done with the switching around and moving in and out different qb’s, that kills any momentum we may have had. I’m done doing that”.

I say Myers never sees the field. Whether attitude, something he did, lack of interest, these don’t concern me, I know nothing, but, it seems like his name is Mudd in the coaching staffs eyes.

Sounds like they wished he would have transferred out.

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 9:26 am

BigGuy: The other significant change that Harris made that year was going exclusively with David Priestly at QB instead of rotating him with Rod Rutherford. Priestly responded and had a pretty good season.

Another big factor was that Antonio Bryant decided to play up to his preseason hype and Biletnikoff award winning performances from the previous season. Granted, he fought some injuries his Junior year, but his draft status dropped because of attitude issues not injury concerns.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 9:37 am

Can we stop referring to the term “changing the offense?” How bout “modify” or “add something to it.” A good coach would have no problem modifying his offense to suit his talent, especially when his current plan is failing miserably. Secondly, I havent seen this Myers kid, wouldnt know him if he walked right by me. But, for starters, saying he cant run this offense puzzles me. You cant be much slower than Tino, so that cant be it. Never seeing the kid and just reading all the quotes on here, it sounds like he has an elephant attached to his back that hinders him from moving. Im not saying he is the answer or is even any good, but to say he can’t “run” this type of offense doesnt give enough clarity as to the real story.

Comment by Z-Boy 10.20.11 @ 9:38 am

IMO–Fully expect the O-line to show up and provide enough protection to make Tino’s “flashes of brilliance” relevant enough to get a win this Saturday. I have pretty much called every game this year, and this is the next. Pitt wins vs. UCONN. Ugly, but gets the win. Tino has a decent game because the line gives him some more time, Ray Graham bounces back, and UCONN is just horrible. Same old Pitt.

Myers to Furman or Delaware or John Carrol campaign begins today.

Comment by PaulyP 10.20.11 @ 10:01 am

One thing that I think would be highly important:

Recruit more than 1 QB for next years class.

1.Pick up a JC QB.

2.Get an Athletic QB who can also play RB but yet can jump into a QB role if needed. Darren McFadden ran the wildcat at Arkansas. Why can’t we have something in reserve to go to if the passing aspect of things don’t work out.

We need more options. I thought Pat Bostick was supposed to be the next Dan Marino… Until I saw him play. It left a huge hole at the position and we are still paying for it. Although I love his posts and analysis.

Voytik could be the help we are looking for, but if he is not, we will be in a world of trouble for the next 4 or 5 years. I would also suspect that Todd Graham would be fired by that point or resign from football.

Please add more depth to the position. As of now i am not sure that they are trying to according to the recruiting websites.

Comment by Pitt Man 10.20.11 @ 10:05 am

If you think Coach Graham is going to change his offense to suit Myers, you are sadly mistaken. He is committed to installing his offense. If he was open to installing another offense, it would be a run based spread offense that West Virginia ran with Pat White under Coach Magee when he was at WVU. They could have installed this read option offense at any time after Gonzalez came off of suspension. They have Ray Graham back there along with Zach Brown. At least this type of offense would be an easier transition next year to the pass based spread. Coach Graham is going to install his offense and if Myers is forced into the game he better give it his best effort. This infatuation with Myers is true desperation in my opinion. Myers will be transferring at the end of this year, probably with the coaching staff’s blessing.

Comment by John In South Carolina 10.20.11 @ 10:10 am

I actually found a site that lists 40 times for college QBs. Not sure of their sources, probably the schools, but here are the times for comparative purposes:

Tino = 4.76
Myers = 4.89
Anderson is not listed.

For further comparison:
Denard Robinson = 4.39
B.J. Daniels = 4.58
Gino Smith = 4.78

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 10:23 am

Rutgers may have been keying on Graham but he did get 160 yeards rushing – which is why you have to give him more than 12 rushing attempts .. the chance of breaking off a long run was much more probable than either QB completing a long pass (or any pass.)

The receivers also need to get open as emphasized by Zeise.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 10:35 am

Agreed John In SC… There is no way Graham is changing his offense, nor should he. If you inherit Dan Marino you think about changing your offense, otherwise you go full speed ahead implementing what you believe in.

Coach Graham is a very successful person, he’s been successful everywhere he’s been. I think it’s pretty clear that he believes he has been successful based on his system, his philosophy and his style of management. This system has worked very well for him, it has worked very well other places and I think he believes in this system to his very football core.

To think he is going to change or abandon what he believes has made him successful now that he has the highest profile opportunity of his career is simply illogical.

If he could answer the question truthfully there is no doubt in my mind he would say the system isn’t the problem. The kids in the system and execution of the system is the problem.

Graham and Magee have had very good offenses everywhere they have been. They didn’t fall down and hit their heads and forget how to coach offense. They just need time and the right players. If they are still scoring 10 points in two games three years from now then by all means start the Urban Meyer rumors.

Comment by Pitt89 10.20.11 @ 10:36 am

Very interesting piece. In short, Myers doesn’t figure into TG’s plans and won’t see the field unless something very unrealistic or dramatic happens. I think we all assumed this for some time now.

I’m not a pro at talent evaluation by any means (just played in HS nand watch a lot of football now) but I watched the Sprig Game very closely and Gonzalez made Sunseri look like Aaron Rodgers in that game. Absent an incredible improvement over the summer and fall (unlikely becuase he was suspended and moved to H-Back) IMO there is no way Gonzo is a D1 qb.

I am excited to see Voytik this Friday night on ESPN. I read that his team isn’t very talented but it will still be interesting to see what type of player he is. However, I don’t think he will come in and start next year as a freshman so this qb mess isn’t going away any time soon.

Comment by JAM 05 PITT 10.20.11 @ 10:41 am

BigGuy I don’t remember particulars, either, but I seem to recall them scrapping the “spread” much earlier that season, perhaps after a game or two at most– they just continued to slide to a 1-5 start before things clicked and they turned it around.

Comment by JW 10.20.11 @ 10:47 am

In 2001, Pitt started 1-5 but finished 7 and 5. Much of it had to do that the 1st half of the schedule included Miami (Nat Champs), BC & Syracuse .. each had 10 wins ore more (But they also lost to then unnknown USF.)

They did win 6 straight after scrapping the spread including a 38-3 win vs Va Tech, a win at WVU and Tangerine Bowl win over NC State and Phil Rivers.

BTW — Jamie Dixon on The Fan 93.7 in a few minutes!!

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 11:04 am

Perhaps Myers is not the quality QB his rankings and press claimed. However based on my mistrust of the honesty of this coaching staff I have to wonder if Anderson really has tendenidous or that his performance has embarrassed Dodge and Graham regarding his presence at Pitt. I believe he will now fade into obscruity with the staff hoping the fans forget he ever came to Pitt. Second I can understand If Myers was upset over the Anderson affair but based on his background going to a proment Catholic high school in Cleveland were discpline is required in Catholic schools. Also being willing to wait his turn in high school until his senior season and making the most it does not sound like a young man who would have academic or be disruptive on the team even when he knows he is getting a bad deal. This would hurt him transferring to another program so my guess he is sucking it up and this is another smoke screen from a coaching staff that has not shown itself to be the most honest since its arrival at Pitt.

Comment by DRW 10.20.11 @ 11:06 am

Pitt89 – you are right on. All you have to do is turn on the TV Saturday and watch Oregon or another team run a similar offense and you will see what kind of players Pitt needs.
Guys that can make plays in open space after beating one on one coverage and a QB that can actually read the option to run and is an effective runner.
Graham will get Pitt there. That is the kind of O most Pitt fans want to see. We saw it for one game. :-)

Comment by notrocketscience 10.20.11 @ 11:10 am

Mark Myers is a lot of things, but I strongly doubt he is a malcontent and clubhouse cancer. I knew some folks that knew his family and followed the Iggy program here in Cleveland– and problem child was definately not one of them.

Interestingly, a local rival football coach (Mentor) commented that Myers was the best QB he had ever seen/coached against out of St.Ignatius in 20+ years of coaching. These are big time football schools in the state of Ohio– FWIW.

I saw Myers play in HS, and thought he would be a good fit for Wanny’s system. He did seem to have a slower release and marginal footspeed; but the arm was definately there for distance and accuracy.

Unfortunately, Myers will join an infamous group of Pittblather elite “shoulda, coulda, woulda” team that is currently being led by Greg Cross (1 touch and 1TD) and the Juco transfer guard (forgot his name) from down south that came to Pitt two years ago as a stopgap PG, tore up the D2 scene, but never spent any time on the court for JD.

Comment by PaulyP 10.20.11 @ 11:26 am

Just remembered, it was Chase Adams

Comment by PaulyP 10.20.11 @ 11:27 am

Discipline in Catholic Schools… Huh? Are’nt there a ton of Catholic HS programs that have less than perfect student athletes?

Again…. we need more options for next year and quite honestly twe have no options that are good presently for next year other than different people.

Comment by Pitt Man 10.20.11 @ 11:29 am

Agreed John in SC and Pitt89.

Sure, change or hybrid the offense if you got Marino or for that matter a Priestly who transferred from Ohio St. ,

but we have no options like that.

Tino not good, Trey can’t see over the o lines butts, unproven freshman who is probably leaving anyhow.

Get the offense installed, let the frosh, sophs and juniors get used to it, let them know this is what we’ll be running here for awhile, start learning it and getting it in to your head.

They obviously haven’t picked up on it, like they have at other places as per the coach, so whether it’s taking longer mentally, or whether not buying in to it,

Give the time to learn it, and let them know, “this is it, if you’re staying, better buy in”.

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 12:00 pm

notrocketscience, you can watch Oregon and see what kind of players we need (agent-aided by the way of which Oregon paid a fee for.) However, whether Pitt is able to get them is a another matter.

If you watched the Hopewell – Central Valley game, you saw 2 atletes that would fit in anyone’s program .. but you also saw 2 passing attacks that may have even been more pathetic than Pitt’s last week.

Graham will probably have to do well in the South and Southwest in recuiting. I’m not saying that he still can’t use PA and NJ athletes, but he needs a bigger mix from outside of Pitt’s usual recruiting area.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 12:03 pm

Ohio is the only northern state among the top five football recruiting and prospect-producing states.

Read more: link to livestrong.com

Comment by TX Panther 10.20.11 @ 12:14 pm

I want to sign a petition to have Todd Graham fired immediately as head coach. Hard as it is to believe, he is a worse coach than he is a human being. Where can I find a petiton supporting his termination? I will not attend another game or make another donation until he and the AD are FIRED!

Comment by OnceProudAlum 10.20.11 @ 12:23 pm

TX Panther, the only reason that I can come up with why Ohio is so high up on high school recuits is bear, llama and mountain lion meat on the dinner table

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 12:27 pm

wbb,

I’ve said before here that one of things I like about Graham is his willingness to expand the recruiting footprint into areas like Texas and the greater Southeast, where many high schools are now using these more dynamic offenses. Those areas are the most fertile recruiting areas in the country right now, and not every kid from those areas is going to be able to play at Texas, OU and the major SEC programs, and the reality is that many of them are recruited for depth and then risk being cast aside in future seasons due to over-signing practices that some of those schools employ. He doesn’t need to compete with those programs head-to-head for every kid, but maybe focus on the kids who are further down the priority lists of the bigger programs, because those are the kids who risk getting lost on the depth charts at the Alabamas, Floridas and Oklahomas.

Said it before…this is how Boise State has become a national player – they recruit mostly 2-star and 3-star players from those areas, as well as California. They have a creative coach running a system that emphasizes speed, and they promise playing time.

Graham obviously wants to build a home base that centers on PA, Ohio, NJ, Maryland and Virginia. That makes tons of sense. But I think to run the type of systems both offensively and defensively, he needs to recruit athletes, and those can best be found in Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, etc. You don’t see as many high-school programs running these kinds of systems here, and those who are certainly are not doing it with the same caliber of athlete.

Comment by Stoosh 10.20.11 @ 12:33 pm

The only thing I know about Myers is he was recruited by Wanny. Wanny’s qb selection track record tells me that Myers is not the answer. Much Like Tino and Gonzalez is not the answer either. We gotta grin and bear it thru this year.

Comment by Jaimz 10.20.11 @ 12:40 pm

Sounds to me like Graham and Dodge were sick of hearing the fans talking about Myers so they said he was doing better. He’s never going to be the QB. People are just going to have to let that go. We’re stuck with Sunseri all season.

Comment by Mike 10.20.11 @ 12:43 pm

Stoosh, it appears that we are agreeing. Getting leftovers recruits from Texas may serve us as well as the leftovers from Florida (Bryant, Blades, Session, Mustakas, Romues, Sheard, etc)

Also, I’m sure the recruiting budget will expand for Graham which will allow him to go into these areas. You may remember that the budget was slashed a few years back and (circa 08) and we quit recruiting Florida.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 12:52 pm

Sounds to me like there is much more to the Myers/Graham relationship than the public is aware of. When he wasn’t named the starter, Myers probably said or did something (to his face or behind his back) that really upset Graham. Most head football coaches have egos as big as a barn. They won’t tolerate much from teenagers.

Comment by 66Goat 10.20.11 @ 1:06 pm

The ACC exposure should also help expand the recruiting base once we finally get out of the Big East. Pitt isn’t playing many BE games in any recruiting hot beds. Well maybe USF but after Miami, FSU and Florida how many people are paying attention to USF??

We start going into GT, VT, FSU, Miami and Clemson and winning football games and suddenly Pitt is on the radar of a whole bunch of kids who probably never gave Pitt a second thought in the past.

Maybe all things being equal kids still don’t leave Florida and GA for PA, but at least Pitt gets in the conversation. As you said, the leftovers have worked out pretty well in many cases.

Comment by Pitt89 10.20.11 @ 1:23 pm

@wbb and Stoosh – You’re onto something… I believe that’s why Anderson has a scholarship, Graham wants make inroads in those big Texas high schools.

Comment by Pittastic 10.20.11 @ 1:25 pm

@ Once Proud Alum, Please explain how he is a bad person?

@ Pitt Man, above you mentioned a JUCO QB… I could not agree any more… Does Cam Newton have a little brother?

DRW, are you 93 years old? Do you think Nuns are swatting at kids nuckles with rulers b/c they write left-handed or talk in class? I don’t think your assessment of Catholic education holds true any longer… and besides, Tino received a Catholic education and that “discipline” hasn’t helped him any…

On a tangent, did anyone catch this quote from Pitino: “My problem is not them leaving,” Pitino said. “My problem is that you did it in 48 hours. You don’t run away with a girl after one date when you’ve been dating someone else for three or four years. You’ve been dating this woman for 30 years, show a little respect.”

REALLY? The same Pitino that b-ng-d a woman on a restaurant table (for 15 seconds)… How nice of him that he had enough respect for his wife, so as to not leave her…

Comment by Big Bill 10.20.11 @ 1:40 pm

@PaulyP, not so fast my friend. Myers is only a RS freshman. If he hangs around, who knows what the future holds for him.

And BTW at the QB position there are huge shoes for him to fill to be classified as a 1st string shoulda, coulda, woulda QB, he’ll have to transfer somewhere and tear it up at the college level than get drafted by the NFL and tear it up there too, just like Flacco has.

@ notrocketscience, hey don’t drag Ronald Jones’ name through the mud regarding suspect back up QB’s. Besides Tino, Jones is the only other “QB” on the roster that has thrown a touchdown pass this season.

I sure wish Anderson could have been the freshman sensation that I was hoping he could be. I would hav eappreciated such a performance since I petitioned for him so hard early on. Now he just made me look like the know nothing fan that apparently I am.

My next hope is that Sunseri starts bringing his “practice” performances to the real deal. Considering this next game is on a Wednesday night following two humiliating losses, there may be so few fans in the seats that Tino treats it like a practice scrimmage and plays lights out!! Could happen!!

If we lose this one I’m guessing that you’ll be able to hear the crickets at the Cincy game by then. So we might just have to wait another couple of games for the “practice effect” to kick in for Tino, since we all know that he practices so well. LOL

Comment by Dr. Tom 10.20.11 @ 1:42 pm

66Goat,

That doesn’t make much sense. Myers was dropped to #3 QB even before the Spring Blue/Gold game. The reason at that time was he had an injury. Think it was thumb related. Can’t pass with a f*cked up thumb. Gonzo was #2 for Blue/Gold and stayed at #2 until his little off-season mishap. So Myer’s knew he wasn’t going to be the starter all summer. And Myer’s was #2 for a week in training camp in August before Trey moved ahead of him. Again he knew he wasn’t going to be the starter. So again you post makes no sense.

Having watched both Myers & Gonzo play in the Big 33 game opposite each other, you could clearly see Myers was a much better passer and led his team on a 2 minute end of the game drive to win the game, I believe he ran it in from 10 yards or so himself. So he can run.

Somebody else posted we better recruit a JUCO and I concur BIGTIME. Or else we get another season
of watching Tino’s “glimpses”. haha

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 1:48 pm

Since Pitino won a national championship, I am convinced that he believes he is a ‘made’ man and thus, adultery is expected. You may note his analogy of Tessio (from the Godfather) to Nordenberg .. 2 men whom I would have never associated with each other.

Speaking of Italian BE coaches, have you seen the quotes from Gino Auriema calling out Notre Dame .. and saying that many BE schools has issues with ND.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 1:48 pm

Comment by Dr. Tom 10.20.11 @ 1:42 pm

Dr. Tom, Still believe the kid isn’t as bad as he looked against Utah. He was put into almost an impossible situation, with little hope to succeed.
With those 40 mph winds, the play calls and the O-line, he was almost guaranteed to Fail.
And that saved Tino from looking worse with his dying quails in the 40mph winds. And that could have been the purpose of the whole exercise.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 1:55 pm

Pauly P. – I read tons of stuff about PITT football, converse about it, watch it in person ans attend practices and games in the pressbox. Nowhere have I every hear Myers was a “cancer in the clubhouse”. He certainly is not.

What he is is a 19 year old kid who has been thrust into circumstances that were not what he committed to PITT for and that are out of his control in a lot of ways.

That put Myers between a rock and a hard place here at PITT and he seemed to get discouraged.

As I wrote elsewhere, the fact that he didn’t transfer speaks volumes about his willingness to help.

Comment by Reed 10.20.11 @ 2:04 pm

@wbb,

Certainly he does when he’s wearing those all white suits.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:06 pm

Pitino, a Sicilian American[2] and native of New York City, grew up in the Village of Bayville and was captain of the St. Dominic High School basketball team in nearby Oyster Bay, Long Island.

Maybe Ricky boy, knows the Sunseri’s. They both like to emulate their lives around The Godfather.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:09 pm

EMel, now you know the reason why I have supported Tino (at least more than rest of you)

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 2:13 pm

Here’s Mr. White Suits website.

Wow, does this guy have an ego.
Check it out:

link to rickpitino.com

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:15 pm

@EMel, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I have mine. Anderson gets plenty of chances without success. Myers gets none. By your own estimation, Myers can pass and he can run. Must be more to the story.

Comment by 66Goat 10.20.11 @ 2:24 pm

Never knew this about Rick,

He got to play around in Hawaii for a few years after he graduated from UMass. We should all get gigs like this, straight out of college.

Pitino started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Hawaii in 1974, and became a full-time assistant (and interim head coach) in 1975. He was then the first assistant hired by Jim Boeheim in 1976 as Boeheim began his tenure at Syracuse University.

Pitino served as Hawaii’s interim head coach late in the 1975-76 season. Coach Bruce O’Neil was fired after the Rainbow Warriors’ started the season 9-12. Pitino led Hawaii for their final six games, going 2-4 in the span.[5]

Pitino’s time at Hawaii was marred by a 1977 NCAA report on sanctions against the program. According to the report, Pitino was implicated in 8 of the 64 infractions that led the University to be placed on probation.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:24 pm

I find it interesting that Graham decided to get away from using 2 QBs in the game as soon as Anderson’s injury became known.

If he is truly going to stick to this, then I am thinking the opposite of what this column suggests… maybe Myers is so far away that he won’t sniff the field even as the #2.

Comment by Panther3321 10.20.11 @ 2:25 pm

@66Goat,

Anderson performed very good in the 4rth quarter of the Maine game. Everyone seems to conveniently forget that, even the media. (well that’s not really surprising, is it?)

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:26 pm

Wonder what happened to the Head Coach at Hawaii?

Did he get the horse head in the bed treatment?
haha

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:28 pm

DRW, thought you were done stating the obvious the other day??? LMAO!!!

Are you Michael Myers Dad, high school coach, agent or Mom????

Page breaks please!!!!

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 2:31 pm

We do not have to go back very far to find the perfect example of a coach adapting to his players and his recruiting area and producing in his first year but building the foundation of a denisty. Coach Howland came from N. Arizona were he made his reputation on fastbreak, 3 point shooting basketball. When he got to Pittsburgh he realized he did not have the same type of personnel. He had much better atheletes as does Graham but he knew to succeed with his new team he had to focus on defense and strong rebounding. He also had the forsight to understand that at least for several more years because of his recruiting area he had to hone this style into a philiosophy. The rest is history as his success got him his dream job at UCLA and his successer has continued that approach and is now attracting top recruits. If Howland had Grahams personality he would of failed at Pitt and our basketball program would have taken a further step into the dark ages.

Comment by DRW 10.20.11 @ 2:32 pm

Pitino must understand that the ACC made Pitt an offer that it couldn’t refuse .. and that it is business, not personal.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 2:33 pm

Calapari was at UMass as well I believe.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:33 pm

Both Pitino & Calapari were HC’s at Kentucky.

I bet ya Lexington has a lot better Italian restaurants now than pre-Pitino.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:36 pm

He did say Pitt & Syracuse helped make the BE a great basketball league and said ‘Goodbye’.

What he said at the end though is kind of confusing:

“I am headed out to recruit on the west coast today on my 49th birthday.”

His wikipedia article says he was born in 1952.
As does his bio on Louisville’s site:

link to uoflsports.com

Which would make him 59 not 49. Joe Paterno syndrome perhaps.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:44 pm

Twenty-four Pitino assistant coaches or players have become collegiate head coaches.

That’s quite a ‘Family’ of coaches.

I think we need to design a website for Jamie on the order of Rick’s. Come on Pitt. Jamie doesn’t even have his own website.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:50 pm

@Dan-o

Michael Myers, wasn’t that the guy who wore the hockey mask in the Friday the 13th movies?

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 2:53 pm

PaulP -I appreciate what seem like a purposeful smear campaign rrgearding Myers. This also, as I mentioned makes me wonder if Anderson is really injured. As for Paulp observations of Myers when he saw him play in high school the mention of a slower release should not be unanticipated in a high school QB. Their are few atheletes coming out of high school in any sport that do not have mechanical problems with their games (college basketball players shooting 60% FT). It is the job of the college QB coach to help correct theses flaws. The important observation was arm strength and accuracy something Tino will never have. As far a quick feet Rothensberger equivalent size does alright because at his size he his hard to bring down. The major problem from Myers perspective is Pitt has a absolutely terrible QB coach who can teach him nothing. And the system Pitt runs will retard any possibility of him playing at the next level. This last statement will keep any local quality QB’s from coming to Pitt.

Comment by DRW 10.20.11 @ 2:55 pm

Yeah, let’s play him at QB. He’s bigger and scarier than Tino.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 2:56 pm

And he must have a great arm the way he swings that big knife and hurls people around. He’s also really fast because he’s able to catch everyone he’s after.

I hear he ran the spread in high school before he became an indestructible killer.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 3:04 pm

@reed

Okay, so Clubhouse Cancer is a bit dramatic. My point is that it is being IMPLIED that he was not HAPPY and did/said/performed or lacked performance that resulted in him getting in the coach’s doghouse. And, one can IMPLY that this is not a POSITIVE in the lockerroom.

My point…he’s a good KID from all reports and wouldn’t be the type to bitch or moan or give up or simply “did not put time in” like the coaches are implying.

Comment by PaulyP 10.20.11 @ 3:06 pm

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself. That setup by EMel was too good to pass up.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 3:06 pm

DRW, FWIW, Tino completed 64% of his passes last year and had a 137 passer rating. He is certainly functional in the right system and looked much better in his very first college start than he did last week against the same college team.

No, he will never be much more than a capable game manager .. but more importantly, he and Myers are just not fits for Graham’s system. They were recruited for another system .. pure and simple.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 3:07 pm

@DRW I’m not smearing the kid, I’m just giving my opinion….and check my post, most is positive.

Comment by PaulyP 10.20.11 @ 3:15 pm

Big Guy, In 2000 or 2001 when Walt Harris went to the no huddle, Priestly was the starting quarter back and in his senior year. The previous year the offence was terrific and Harris disregarded the conventual wisdom “If it ain’t broke. Don’t fix it.” Thinking that could make it better he installed a no huddle system. Pitt struggled with 1-5 start making making mistakes in the new no-huddle offence that kept costing them games. So Priestly asked Walt if they could just return to their old offence. Harris made the switch, and from that point on they didn’t look back. The Panthers played much better and went on to win their next 5 or 6 games.

Comment by Justinian 10.20.11 @ 3:30 pm

@DRW

Don’t let any facts get in the way of a good story. Ben Howland did not run a fast break offense at NAU and certainly never made his reputation as a fast break coach.

At NAU he recruited good shooters and ran a motion offense which was modeled after Rick Majerus’ offense at Utah. Yes they took a lot of 3 pointers but only because that’s what they were good at. He did NOT run a fast break offense. In fact, his offense was much like the motion offense he installed at Pitt and Jamie still runs today.

Further Howland has ALWAYS preached defense and rebounding.

Comment by Pitt89 10.20.11 @ 3:31 pm

Thank you EMEL!!!! Knew someone would catch it!!

LOL!!!

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 3:34 pm

Oh, Halloween movies. Friday the 13th was Jason!!! LOL!!

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 3:35 pm

Well, Graham has the #1 or #2 back in the country, and, if no local qb’s want to come here, we’ll just go to Tennessee and get what they say is the #5 qb, or other services have him #5-#10, so, for only being on the job since January, Graham has done an excellent job recruiting.

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 3:39 pm

Moammar got the Sicilian Necktie today.

Bye bye, Moammar. It was not nice knowing ya.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 3:39 pm

@DRW, seeing as you talk to him, the coach stinks, and the system will retard him, I’m sure your advice, and your wifes and brothers, would be for Michael Myers to transfer.

Has probably allready decided to do that, so, no use in playing him.

Good luck to him, and you. Guess there is nothing else for you to say.

Thanks for your same comment day after day for the last 2 months, appreciate them, best of luck to you and yours!!!!

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 3:41 pm

Michael Myers, could have been too slow of foot to run the Triple Option. Might have to give up the machete.

Just sayin.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 3:42 pm

I mean the guy could never catch Jamie Lee !

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 3:44 pm

As soon as TG loses 2 more big east games which will be the next two and he is out of the race than you will see the outher QBs

Comment by FRANKCAN 10.20.11 @ 3:44 pm

One question, who got Moammar’s 150 tons of Gold?

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 3:46 pm

Michael might not be fast, but he’d be a bear to bring down in the open field. I mean he withstood gun shots, falls off balconies, clothes hangers to the eye, burning, etc, etc

Comment by Pitt89 10.20.11 @ 3:47 pm

Answer – George Soros.

Comment by 66Goat 10.20.11 @ 3:53 pm

150 tons of Gold at $1666 per ounce = $7.2 Trillion

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 3:58 pm

Hey, I’d even be interested in overthrowing a regime at those prices. We can I sign up?

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 4:00 pm

Hey, Jaimie Lee still lookin’ good in those yogurt commercials!!! She’s aged well, and doesn’t look like she’s had very little work done if any. She still looks like Jaimie Lee, not some creature that some of those people end up looking like after a butcher job!!

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 4:01 pm

At his bachelor party Mark Myers ate the entire cake before his friends could tell them there was a stripper in it. Give him the start!

Comment by OntarioLett'sGoPitt 10.20.11 @ 4:03 pm

I worked a fundraiser for Children’s Hospital circa 2005 which Dan Marino was the chair and Jamie Lee the guest speaker .. nothing else, just thought I mention it.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 4:08 pm

How’d she look in person???

Comment by Dan 10.20.11 @ 4:13 pm

Jamie Lee always had a great bod…..ie. like in the movie …Perfect

link to palzoo.net

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 4:25 pm

she wore a pants suit and was not all dolled up – didn’t look like a movie star (but I still would have give her a run)

For some reason, I was taken by how tall Marino was .. maybe because he walked in with his wife who is not that tall. I saw Marino play quite a few times at Pitt but never live in his street clothes.

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 4:43 pm

Pauly P. – there was no implying. Myers’s ‘going through the motions’, ‘needing a fire’, etc… has been discussed in the media since spring camp. Again, this isn’t a secret at all but is getting more publicity due to 1) the current state of the QB play and 2) the fact that Myers is going into this week as second string and could see action as soon as this week.

You seem to think that these reports are slurs on the kid’s character or something but they haven’t been couched in those terms at all – from any of the PITT staff, the beat writers or others who had seen him practice.

They are just statements of what actually happened with him and I for one have taken pains to counter any negativity in what I write with the explanation that he pretty much got screwed by circumstance when Graham arrived and it is understandable if it effected him… just like it probably would any other young player.

Remember, Myers is 19 years old and this is probably the first major disappointment he’s had in his sporting life. Add to that the fact that in reality he probably could of burned up the practice fields with his play and still not come out of training camp in the top two because of what the HC wants in his QBs… that has to be very disappointing.

Again, to you and to DRW… I watched him practice on more than one occasion and even I, a by no means expert fan, could see that his head was elsewhere compared to the other two QBs. I’ve written on here before that the family was going to take a long hard look at Myers’s future at PITT. These factors are why there was speculation that he would transfer before the camps and, truth be told, was entirely understandable.

DRW is correct (yeah!!) in stating that if Myers stays at PITT as the third string QB in this offense he’ll get zero coaching and preparation for a future in football. All the staff’s energies have been and will be with QBs fitted to the offense ahead of Myers on the depth chart.

Players transfer all the time when they aren’t happy with what they are getting at one school – especially QBs when they are faced with an offense that wasn’t what they signed up for. Doing so is no indication of anything but the player and his family looking out for his best interests and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I won’t be surprised one bit if he goes after this season.

But to think that writing about this now is some sort of conspiracy or smoke screen is ludicrous. What it is is newsworthy and timely.

Comment by Reed 10.20.11 @ 4:51 pm

Maybe Michael Myers can play QB and Jamie Lee can play wide receiver. She can “flash” to the middle as a decoy. Maybe Shanahan and Street can get open then.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 5:01 pm

Speaking on my one of my old HS’s brightest stars.

Dan the Man has a nice array of Pitt gear on his website.

link to danmarino.com

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 5:13 pm

Lol, TT….sounds a lot more exciting than the last 2 games.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 5:18 pm

As far as Myers the Pitt QB, I think he’s had to deal with disappointment before. Being that the Mentor HS coach (an opponent) said he was the best QB he had seen in 20 years. That is saying something, which begs the question. Why didn’t Myers start BEFORE his senior season?

Is this another one of those cases like Big Ben not starting till his senior year?

I think I read somewhere the kid who started over Myers went to some Ivy League school, so…….

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 5:22 pm

EMel, that kid who went to the Ivy league led St Ignatious to the state title

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 5:51 pm

Thinking like a 19 year old, one can see how Myers might have had an emotional reaction to Anderson being brought in as “ringer”. At this point, I hope he is over it.

Comment by HbgFrank 10.20.11 @ 5:56 pm

Agree, HbgFrank.

He probably had high hopes of competing with Tino in a pro style offense. Then the guy who recruits him gets fired and the new guy changes the system to one he’s not comfortable playing. My guess is more of a defeated/disappointed attitude rather than a bad attitude.

Graham then brings in a kid who’s a “better fit” and Myers finds himself out in the cold. At least he stuck around and tried to contribute in some way by punting. He could have been a total quitter but he’s hung in, which does speak to his character and upbringing.

Like Reed said, if he decides to transfer after this year, there’s nothing wrong with that. I’d wish him well – as long as we don’t have to face him at some point that is.

Comment by TampaT 10.20.11 @ 6:13 pm

@wbb,

You mean like Trey, Tino & Gonzo led their HS teams to their respective state HS championships?

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 6:46 pm

Here’s what I found out about the kid that kept Myers from starting at QB until his senior season in HS.

link to pennathletics.com

He’s(Andrew Holland) the 3rd string QB on UPenn Quakers team.
Didn’t take a snap in his first two years.
Finally got to take a few snaps this year.
Since the starting QB at Penn is also a junior and all Ivy league this kid will never play.
Also the 2nd string QB is a soph.

Well at least Andrew is getting a great education from a great school.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 6:54 pm

Oh forgot to mention, Andrew is a junior. Had a Grandfather who played at Notre Dame and had two uncles play in the Ivy League. So it’s a family thing. Got to love it.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 6:59 pm

and he led Celevalnd St Ignatius to Ohio 4A (or is it 5A) championship as a senior

Comment by wbb 10.20.11 @ 7:15 pm

Yes he did, and Trey led Pearland HS to the 5A, Texas State championship and Tino led Central Catholic to the 4A state championship in PA , as well as Gonzo led Bethlehem Liberty to the 4A championship as Junior and was the named the AP Quad A player of the year.

Apparently all this stuff doesn’t mean a hilt of beans wbb as far as whether someone will be a good college QB.

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 7:30 pm

Ryan Fitzpatrick also went to an Ivy League school, he’s not too shabby. There are QB’s in that league right now that are better than the two Pitt has put on the field easily.

Comment by OntarioLett'sGoPitt 10.20.11 @ 7:46 pm

Marinatto, came up for air yesterday, in between pasta courses to belch up this thought to the AP.

“Marinatto said again that Pitt and Syracuse, who are contractually bound to the league for the next two seasons, will not be allowed out earlier.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “We have no intentions of doing that. Period. Exclamation point. End of sentence.” ”

We can only hope he falls into a bowl of linguine ala Captain McCluskey.

Finito Marinatto

link to silverscreeningroom.blogspot.com

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 7:57 pm

On another humorous note, State Pen & Louisiana-LaFayette are the ONLY 6-1 teams that ARE NOT ranked.

We Are State Penn !……haha

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 8:22 pm

this is stupid because myers won’t play. one because Graham is sticking with Tino, two because myers has a crudy work ethic, and three because myers is incapable of running the ofense

Comment by pk 10.20.11 @ 8:25 pm

He could play if Tino gets hurt and with this O-line a……

I told everyone once we were all born in the wrong era for PITT Football.

I give you the 1910 PITT PANTHERS Undefeated &

Nov 12 Washington & Jefferson (W)14-0
Nov 19 Carnegie Tech(W)
(W) 35-0
Nov 24 Penn State (W) 11 – 0

Comment by EMel 10.20.11 @ 9:09 pm

@wbb
Just caught your comment about Jamie Lee and Marino at the fundraiser.

So you’re near a hot-bod movie star and instead you’re fixated on how tall Marino is?

LMAO – a true blue and gold Pitt fan for sure!

Comment by TampaT 10.21.11 @ 8:48 am

Since we’re swapping stories… I was in San Fran for a Auto tradeshow working a booth for a customer, when out of nowhere, the booth next to me starts setting up for a celebrity signing. Who is it? Tony Freaking Dorsett. I’m like a kid in the candy store. So, during a downspot, I jump in line like a Blue & Gold homer that I am…I get up to him, he is a great guy. We chatted about his dominance of Notre Dame (one of my favorites), and some other niceties.

But like wbb, I was struck by one thing– his hands. For a relatively dimunitive guy (heigth and girth), his hands were as big and strong as freaking linebacker. I have an average hand size and I would say firm, professional grip…but man, I couldn’t forget those hands all day!

Comment by PaulyP 10.21.11 @ 9:06 am

OK, here’s mine. It’s more Black & Gold vs Blue & Gold.

My wife and I are at dinner at a waterfront location in Tampa and I spot Franco Harris at the next table. In my business, I deal with C-Level types, and I’m typically not afraid to talk with anyone, even other sports figures.

But it takes me a while to “decide” on the right moment to approach him. I walk to his table and say, “Are you who I think you are?”

What an idiotic thing to say!!!

He smiles and says, “Well who do you think I am?” My intelligent response, “Franco?” He says, “You might be right.”

I then realize what a doofus I sound like and apologize for the dumb questions. We laughed and had a nice conversation for a few minutes. No matter how old or experienced you get, you always seem to revert to a being little kid when in front of your personal heroes.

Comment by TampaT 10.21.11 @ 9:41 am

Another story, In the eighties after a game, I was enjoying myself immensely at Zelda’s when in comes Hugh Green. I give him the congratulatory slap on the back. It was like hitting a block of granite. I have been around many musclebound guys, but I can’t remember anything that impressive.

Comment by gc 10.21.11 @ 9:42 am

actually TampaT, I was near Marino but not near Jamie Lee but saw her across the room and never got close

EMel, you’re missing the point about the Ivy Leaguer who preceded Myers in high school. You were tring to make the point that this guy had no business playing instead of Myers (ala Rothlisberger) .. but I am making the point that since he led his team to the state title, he most certainly did.

Comment by wbb 10.21.11 @ 9:52 am

Pitt bbal #11 in ESPN Preseason Coaches poll.

Comment by TampaT 10.21.11 @ 10:08 am

Ok – Dan Marino helped our paperboy on his route he was a young teenager – I was 19 or so – he was probably 13. I remember him because his friend John Berger said “Danny’s going to be a famous baseball player someday” … I knew him before you all did.

Another: I watched a Pirates game from the broadcasting booth with Bob Prince – he was a college classmate and friend of my dad’s at PITT. Yes, he drank like a fish during the game.

I also got drunk as hell with William Defoe once but that’s non-PITT related.

Comment by Reed 10.21.11 @ 5:31 pm

Nice story about Alexcih in the trib. Shows that the recruiting stars don’t always matter over heart. Also he was right, 44 was a dirty player. He ran into the pile after the play on several occasions.

Comment by gc 10.21.11 @ 7:54 pm

Chad Voytik on ESPNU now.

Comment by Scott 78 10.21.11 @ 8:39 pm

Am I only the only one that has said, “That was very Sunseri-like” about five times so far in Voytik’s first half? At least Syracuse is putting it’s foot up WVU’s arse, currently.

Comment by cnorwoodaz 10.21.11 @ 9:18 pm

BigEasy wide open. The Hoopies got deliveranced and and Butgers got L-holed. haha

Does anyone in this conference really deserve a BCS bid?

Comment by EMel 10.22.11 @ 12:10 am

Sorry it’s Friday nite and the girlfriend is over to cook breakfast in the morning. lol

Comment by EMel 10.22.11 @ 12:12 am

Living outside of Filthydelphia there is nothing I can do about getting away for this Wednesday evening game. I’m sure most of you read about this.

10/26/2011 WVU OCCUPY HEINZ
If anyone has a big Twitter following, then feel free to run with it. Red shirts with “10/26/2011 OCCUPY HEINZ” (in black). Decide on a gathering point, seating location,etc. Get some Let’s Go chants rocking in the 1st quarter. Stage a walk out with 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter. Something along those lines.

Comment by JD 10.22.11 @ 11:18 am