September 27, 2011

Link Items 9/27

Filed under: Conference,History,Money — Chas @ 3:26 pm

Just some other stuff to get out there.

UConn. Really? Didn’t your state’s governor learn anything from the Missouri governor trying to get his state school into the Big 10?

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, speaking to reporters outside his Capitol office, said he no longer expects the ACC to act quickly after adding Pittsburgh and Syracuse from the Big East earlier this month.

“I think there was expectancy built up initially that this was quickly going to be resolved,” he said. “That’s clearly not the case. The ACC has the first decision to make and that’s whether they’re going to stay at 14 teams or stay at 16. I know that there’s one team, one school that they would like to get into the ACC that would guarantee them going to 16 teams and that’s been speculated to be Notre Dame. I suspect that that’s true. I don’t know how likely that is to happen or not happen. Although, I tend to think it’s not terribly likely.”

Malloy said if Notre Dame isn’t interested the ACC must decide if there is any compelling reason to expand again.

“Beyond that, then you fall back to the Big East,” he said “The Big East then has to rebuild itself to fill the loss of the two teams that left and has to worry about its ability to compete on the major sports of basketball and football in particular, as well as how do we make that work for student athletes.”

Well played, governor. I’m sure announcing that UConn will settle to fall back into the Big East will do wonders for the effort to rebuild the conference. It just enhances that image of stability.

In a rarity, a rather rational piece on the Big East’s problems that notes that the current expansiopocolypse issue is driven not simply by football, but by the TV money. You know, the very reason the Big East came into existence.

How about this gem. The concept of the 16-team superconference was conceived back in 1990, by Raycom?

“Developing the Super Conference” was the name of the booklet that first proposed the idea in 1990, and its 240 pages held the future of college athletics. It’s just that no one knew how long it would take to get there.

That plan, the first to suggest the super-conference model as the best way to maximize a league’s value, was written by Charlotte-based Raycom Sports for the now-defunct Metro Conference. From that, the concept of a super conference and its merits were born. Based on where conference expansion now appears to be headed, it was an idea well ahead of its time.

Raycom, the dominant TV production company and syndicator of that day, had deals with the Big Eight, Southwest Conference, Big Ten and ACC. It spent six months developing the super-conference model, taking into account TV households, conference footprint, alumni bases, regional rivalries and institutional compatibility. The 240 pages included everything from mock schedules and average attendance in football to SAT scores for each school.

Raycom’s plan called for the Metro to expand to 16 football-playing schools with two eight-team divisions or four four-team divisions, similar to what has been discussed by the ACC, the Pac-12 and others in recent weeks. It was compelling enough that at one point that spring in 1990, presidents and ADs from all 16 schools met in Dallas to talk it through.

The Metro Conference was a non-football conference. In 1990 its members were: FSU, Louisville, Cinci, Memphis St., South Carolina, Southern Miss, Tulane and Virginia Tech. The other schools that attended the Dallas meeting: Temple, West Virginia, Miami, East Carolina, Boston College, Syracuse, Penn State and Pitt.

Of course, Penn State went to the Big Ten that year. A year after that, FSU chose to join the ACC. South Carolina (and Arkansas) went to the SEC.  Conference upheaval, is arguably not that new a thing. It is just that college sports are not quite so regionalized any longer, and the money is so much bigger.

Then there is West Virginia. You showed a visitor such a good time. Provided a sampling of local sports talk, and then you reverted to your natural tendencies after the LSU loss.

Authorities have not identified the victims, but Helen Smith said her son-in-law, Marcus Mason, and daughter, Hannah, of Pittsburgh, were among those attacked. She said they were stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic outside Milan Puskar Stadium when someone threw a rock in the car’s driver’s side window.

Hannah, who is 22 weeks pregnant, was driving at the time. The rock landed in her lap, Smith said.

When her husband asked a group of people who threw the rock, several individuals approached the vehicle.

Randy Smith, Hannah’s father, said three men attempted to drag two of the couple’s friends from the back seat before grabbing Marcus. They then pulled him out of the vehicle and started beating him.

Hannah rushed around the car to her husband and tried to stop the attackers, he said. She was knocked down in the process.

Smith said other drivers in traffic did not attempt to stop the beating until Hannah started screaming at the attackers, saying she was pregnant.

“I think it probably saved his life. He was not conscious or moving when she got to him,” he said.

Marcus sustained a broken nose, a crushed eye socket and a fractured frontal bone in the middle of his forehead, Hannah said in a Facebook post Sunday.

This is why you can’t have nice conferences, WVU.

Voytik was officially measured at a major combine this summer at 5’11”. Don’t listen to sites like Scout or Rivals because they always exaggerate. And I don’t think 5’11” will be a problem in this particular offense.

Comment by Mike 09.28.11 @ 1:39 am

More tier 3 schools into the Hatfield-McCoy conference. That would make L-ville, Cincy, OSU, TT, ISU & OU community college. Mizzou should leave for the SEC as fast as possible.

Comment by EMel 09.28.11 @ 2:42 am

L-ville & Cincy will still be on the outside looking in when Texas and it’s consorts move to the PAC 12 someday.

Comment by EMel 09.28.11 @ 2:44 am

I’ll miss WVU. Whoe’s our rival in the ACC??

Comment by alcofan 09.28.11 @ 8:18 am

Frank — you have a link? I don’t see anything about Louisville to the Big 12 on ESPN or CBS websites. Or Yahoo for that matter.

Comment by JCE 09.28.11 @ 8:40 am

My 11 year old son and I haven’t missed a Pitt home game in several years, and we try to get to two away games each year. Under no circumstances will I take him to Morgantown.
The sad part is the Steeler games have become very similar to Morganhole. A bunch of drunk guys who believe that their identities come from the home team….”How dare you come to our town and wear the other team’s colors.” I have seen terrible alcohol fueled incidents at Steeler games as well. It’s amazing to me how if you are a true fan you can get up in the middle of a series and go get a beer, and come back 20 minutes later…how do you miss even one play? I know that for my son and I, we look forward to the traditions of each saturday. It seems for many (no longer the minority)it is about the drinking, the tailgate and the party and less about the game.

Comment by RoosterJones 09.28.11 @ 8:42 am

JCE TYPE IN LOUISVILLE TO BIG 12 CBS sports it will say ESPN IS REPORTING LOUISVILLE INVT TO BIG 12 WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REST. THEN READ WHAT IS POSTED

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 10:07 am

AND THIS SITE REALIGNMENT TODAY BIG 12 PURSUIT OF LOUISVILLE HEATING UP.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 10:24 am

JOHN IN SOUTH CAROLINAON THE COLLEGE SPORTS INFO DID YOU TYPE IN THE DATE IF NOT YOU GOT A OLD POST IT WAS SEPT 27.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 10:35 am

Frank – the only story that seems to come up with that search is a message board post saying that ESPN is reporting the invite. There is no actual story on either cbssports.com or ESPN regarding this. I hate to say it, but this does not appear credible, at least at this time.

Comment by Pantherman13 09.28.11 @ 10:46 am

Frank — is this what you are referring to?

link to cbssports.com

It is just a message board post. One of the messages says that ESPN has NOT reported it. So, I would not exactly call this a confirmed report. But where there is smoke there is fire…

I really hate to see the Big East falling apart like this. While the ACC is our future I did enjoy Pitt’s time in the Big East. Unfortunately, the arrogance of its past and present commissioners is now coming home to roost.

Comment by JCE 09.28.11 @ 10:50 am

JCE NO TYPE IT IN THE WAY I WROTE IT ALSOTRY THIS WILNER OF SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS SAYS LOUISVILLE BIG 12 HEATING UP AND KU SPORTS LOUISE VILLE BIG 12 HEATING UP

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 11:12 am

ALL SO PUT IN THE DATE I FOUND THEM SEPT 27

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 11:13 am

JCE YOU ARE RIGHT THAT IS WHAT COMES UP IT IS THE SAME POST BUT I FOUND IT ON A DIFFERENT SITE LAST NIGHT I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET BACK TO DAY. BUT WHERE THERE IS SMOKE THERES FIRE. PLUS TRY OTHER SITES I POSTED.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.28.11 @ 11:34 am

FRANKCAPS- there isn’t a substantiated report out there of Louisville getting an offer from the Big12. Sorry. It may happen one day but there hasn’t even been a tweet or anything.

Comment by The Incline 09.28.11 @ 11:48 am

I find myself having little to no interest in all this expansion stuff now that Pitt’s destination is clear.

Comment by JW 09.28.11 @ 12:26 pm

Made the rounds, Orangebloods, Frank the Tank, even a few L’Ville blogs, nothing on L-ville.

At this point it appears to be a rumor. L-ville would just be jumping from one sinking ship to another. Titanic to the Andrea Dorea.

They might see it as a larger payday, which it would be. But if they jumped ship and let’s say next year or the year after the B12 imploded, would the BigEast let them back in, I doubt it.

Comment by EMel 09.28.11 @ 2:30 pm

My dad & I went to a WVU?Pitt Basketball game in Morgantown, and although we sat in the nosebleeds, the WVU fans were classy and very nice. I think Thugs exist at all sporting events, they dragged 2 Pitt fans out of the enzone during last sat. ND game, so we as Pitt fans aren’t lilly white either. I would not paint the whole state of WVU with the same brush.

I do agree, ND fans are some of the classiest out there. Went to ND last year and it was an awesome experience.

Comment by Kurt Nestel 09.28.11 @ 6:16 pm

for those who complain about WVU students and fans, I have to tell you that WVU natives only make up about 25% of the student body at WVU. The vast majority of students at WVU are from PA, MD, OH & NJ…PA comprises the most. So there is a good chance those “drunken thugs” in the studen section at WVU home games are sons and daughters from western PA. The WVU administration and sports department need to crack down to ensure the safety of visiting fans. Beer sales at the stadium is controversial to say the least and a really dumb idea motivated mostly by money…but included in the beer sales intitiative is a no re-entry after half time policy. Not to single out WVU, I would challenge some posters here to visit LSU, Clemson, Va Tech home games…I’m sure they would find similar behavior (of which there is no excuse), and if Pitt had as passionate a fan base, we might have similar problems

Comment by Deter 09.29.11 @ 6:45 am