September 18, 2011

Wake Up And It’s A New Conference

Filed under: ACC,Big East,Conference — Chas @ 11:35 am

Is there a morning left for me to oversleep without missing something?

It is official. Pitt and Syracuse are moving to the ACC.

“The ACC has enjoyed a rich tradition by balancing academics and athletics and the addition of Pitt and Syracuse further strengthens the ACC culture in this regard,” Swofford said. “Pittsburgh and Syracuse also serve to enhance the ACC’s reach into the states of New York and Pennsylvania and geographically bridges our footprint between Maryland and Massachusetts. With the addition of Pitt and Syracuse, the ACC will cover virtually the entire Eastern Seaboard of the United States.”

The exact timeline is unclear. Big East rules call for a 27 month notice period — and the ACC stressed that they would abide the Big East bylaws. This may mean, a lot like what went down in the Big 12 last year that Pitt and Syracuse are going to have to surrender some extra money to the Big East to make it happen by next year.  We shall see on that front.

According to reports, and the teleconference, this came together very, very quickly. Like in less than a week. Both Syracuse and Pitt started talking to the ACC and both sides came together quickly. It makes it harder for conspiracists to make the claim that Pitt helped sabotage the Big East sellout extension with ESPN over the summer. As On The Banks pointed out, plenty of football schools in the Big East pushed back on that one. A deal that would have paid less than the ACC gets and that everyone — including Big East Commish Marinatto — was saying looked smart after the Pac-12 money deal came through.

The fact that Marinatto was completely blindsided by this just points out his incompetency. At least Mike Tranghese knew the ACC was sniffing around Miami and other Big East members in 2003. At least Tranghese knew there was dissatisfaction from the football membership. Marinatto has remained incompetently clueless and footdragging.

There is so much more to all of this. Heck the ACC is already talking about adding MSG to the ACC Tournament rotation. Well, assuming the Big East survives, that may be an issue but last I checked there may be some other arena now located in Brooklyn that could be available.

I expect that WVU, UConn and Rutgers will be fine. In the next couple of years they will likely find their own places in a major and stable conference. Whether it is with the full expansion to 16 teams — thus providing the openings in the ACC and SEC and Big 10. Or even a 14-team conference (WVU to the SEC rumors have not abated).

Teams like USF, Louisville and Cinci are understandibly unnerved. They are looking at having to band together with remnants of the Big 12 — and probably under the Big 12 banner since they have a real TV deal at the moment.

TCU? Well, they look royally screwed.

There will be lots of crap heaped on Pitt. There will be accusations of hypocrisy, greed and betrayal. That is understandable. The fact is, though, is that Pitt and its leadership worked harder than many in the conference to save the conference starting back in 2003. Something I fundamentally disagreed upon even then. The last year or so, finally opened their eyes to the basic, unsolvable problems of this kind of awkward dual-interest league.

Pitt and Syracuse are doing the right things for themselves. Just as all the members have and will do.

ACC Already has their Wikipedia Updated.

link to en.m.wikipedia.org

Comment by MariettaMike 09.18.11 @ 11:52 am

The “On the Banks” article is worth a read.

In any case I’m laying low on wearing Pitt regalia around Joisey. And you’ll see me donning scarlet at the Pitt RU game next month, RU fans can be downright nasty.

(Would love to see RU be invited to our conference for selfish reasons only)

Comment by steve 09.18.11 @ 12:03 pm

Just saw the story on ESPN and jumped over here to see the reaction. Shocked that no one has posted yet. I guess everyone is still commenting about yesterday’s meltdown.

Personally, I’m pretty psyched about this. More Pitt games within a day’s driving distance for one. I will miss the 10 minute drive to the USF Sun Dome or Raymond James Stadium for USF games though.

Will also miss the Brawl if WVU goes to another conference and we can’t make the schedule work. But I could see alternating home-and-home scheduling between WVU and PSU, so we may get the both of best worlds in the rivalry department, at least on a four year rotation basis.

Some can knock ACC football all they want, but this is a pretty good upgrade IMO. FSU is making it’s way back toward being a power again. Miami will be down short term, but there are too many NFLers and too much money among their alums for them not to be back again. And, Virginia Tech always seems to be tough. So there’s enough high level competition right there to get back Pitt back into the national spotlight if they do well in the conference. Plus there are enough competitive and enough marginal programs to make for a good mix of toss-up and winnable games on the conference schedule.

As far as basketball, the ACC is just as competitive as the BE and has a couple of legendary programs in Duke and Carolina. Plus they’re adding two programs that have made the BE what it is with Syracuse and Pitt. Seems like a win there too.

Like Chas said, other BE football teams have to be looking to bolt too. Knowing that might have goosed Pitt and ‘Cuse to make their moves earlier than expected.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 12:09 pm

I think we’re all missing the greatest tragedy in all of this this…

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE RIVER CITY RIVALRY TROPHY?!?!?!?

Comment by Andrew 09.18.11 @ 12:10 pm

Pitt belongs in the ACC. Why? Because I live in Hotlanta and can easily drive to their away games. And it’s a about me. ;-)

Seriously, this is good for the ACC, Pitt and Syracuse.

Hail to Pitt! Beat ND!

Comment by MariettaMike 09.18.11 @ 12:12 pm

BTW, Chas. Marinatto may not have been asleep at the wheel at all. Perhaps his grand plan is to let all of the football schools defect to other conferences, so he gets what his REAL bosses want – an all-basketball conference – without the political turmoil.

I know. I’m giving him way too much credit.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 12:14 pm

For all of those who want to bad mouth PITT and Syracuse for this decision let me give you an inside to the discussion that the ACC commissioner likely had with PITT (and Syracuse).

“Hey Mark (Nordenberg) this is John (Swofford) calling you from N.C. Hope Y’all folks are doing well up there. We were just finishing up our Council of President’s meeting and we all wanted to run something up the flag pole. Would PITT be interested in joining the ACC if an invitation were extended by one of our presidents to you and one other school? You don’t have to answer just yet. Call me tomorrow as I have a few other return calls to make to Morgantown, Storrs, Jersey, Lousville, and Cincinnati to discuss a few things. Please get back to me at YOUR convenience.”

Mark Nordenberg – “Did you say that your were adding two (not 7)?”

Mark Norenberg whispering to Jerry Cochran “Jerry – Didnt WVU and Lousiville say that they had to keep their options open (about the SEC and B12)?”

Done deal! We had no choice. I love the BIG EAST but this one had to be done.

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 09.18.11 @ 12:21 pm

Wow, where to start

First I applaud all those involved at the University for being progressive and making this bold, albeit difficult, move. Come Monday when Oklahoma and Texas make their announcement and blow up the Big 12, this move will bee seen as even more sensible.

It is obvious, based on the past year, that the Big East is either not concerned (doesn’t care) or going to fold in the next few years. They tried to persuade inferior teams from inferior conferenes (although I think UCF would have been a good catch-they are on the upswing despite yesterday’s loss to FIU and have one of the largest enrollments in Florida)

I would rather them do this now, then in a few years be on the outside in Conference USA or the MAC, begging for the Big 10 to let us in.

This is a great move for the football team. Yes, the ACC does not have many great football powers now, but they have better competition and brand recognition than the Big East, two things the rebuilding Pitt football program needs.

This will also allow Coach Graham better access to the new hotbeds of recruiting (Virginia and Florida) to get players that better fit his spread offense and 3-4 defense.

I am hesitant on the basketball front, however. Arguably the Big East has become the top power in men’s college basketball and I hate to have them leave it. However, if the Big East is the #1 men’s basketball conference, ACC is easily #2 with a great cause for #1.

Pitt and Cuse will easily be among the top teams in the conference right away. My only concerns (esp for Pitt) is changing their “Big East style of basketball”. As we have seen time and time again in the NCAA tourney, Big East aggressive style of play does not go over well with “neutral” officials, and I suspect it won’t go over well with ACC teams/officials. I don’t see us being able to go into Duke or UNC’s courts and get away with what we do in the Big East against UConn, Georgetown, etc.

That being said, I think Coach Dixon can, and will be happy, to adjust his playing and coaching style. Over the past few years he is recruiting more pure basketball players and less of the “athletes that fit the system”. I am not advocating Jaime go out and recruit one and done’s and/or players that put the program in trouble; he just needs to find players that can play pure basketball.

As far as any losing any rivalries that have developed (WVU, UConn, Georgetown) with the recent conference shuffling most, if not all, rivalries are going to either go away or change drastically.

The ship is sailing, and Pitt (and Syracuse) just bought their tickets.

Comment by UPDave 09.18.11 @ 12:21 pm

Pitt-Duke. Pitt-North Carolina. Pitt-Maryland. Pitt-Miami. Every year. Every single year. Don’t get me wrong, I loved those Big East games. But if you can’t sell kids on playing legendary schools year in and year out, playing in the highest-regarded basketball conference in the country, then I don’t know what you can sell them on. Obviously this move is going to take time to see if it was the right move for Pitt, but for now I certainly think it was the one they had to make. Now, instead of playing football against Rutgers and South Florida, Pitt gets to play Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College…this will only help the football program, and I think Pitt’s new “High Octane Offense” will fit in much better in the ACC. I still just can’t believe the basketball teams that are gonna be coming into the Pete year in and year out. I’m hoping that, with the conference change, the Panthers still try and schedule one or two of the old rivalries every year…WVU, Villanova, Georgetown, just to name a few.

Comment by merlin 09.18.11 @ 12:25 pm

Nordenberg stated that he sent Marinetto a letter stating that Pitt will explore other options if the BE does not become proactive in supoorting the long-term interests of the BE members (but the date of the letter was not disclosed.)

These days, the commisioner of any conference, especially the BE and B12, has no reason to be blind-sided by anything that occurs.

However, this move may not all be positive
link to aol.sportingnews.com

Comment by wbb 09.18.11 @ 12:40 pm

This couldn’t have happened at a better time for Coach Graham, who is I’m sure hiding under his bed as we speak.

Comment by steve 09.18.11 @ 12:42 pm

Letter sent 5/10 wbb. See Trib-Review

Comment by steve 09.18.11 @ 12:43 pm

Not sure why anyone is worried about basketball recruiting if joining the ACC. The Big East is dead. You just lost 2 of the top tier programs. WVU, Rutgers, maybe UConn all see the writing on the wall. They are going to bust out of the Big East at the first opportunity. The Big East will then be dead BB as well. It’s no longer the number 1 BB league in the country. Teams like Villanova and Georgetown are about to get screwed recruit wise. The Big East BB wise is about to turn into the next Atlantic 10. You’re a kid in NYC or Philly….you want to play in the ACC…not in a damaged Big East.

Comment by oliviapitt 09.18.11 @ 12:44 pm

You know @Steve I was thinking the exact same thing. Graham gets a complete get out of jail free pass this week because of this ACC join. One of the biggest epic fails in Pitt football over the past few decades and nobody is going to remember it.

Comment by oliviapitt 09.18.11 @ 12:48 pm

@ steve, well coach Graham can’t be in his bed, in case you missed it, there’s shit in there from yesterday.:)

Comment by Dr. Tom 09.18.11 @ 12:51 pm

I can’t get over how overblown the recruiting argument is. Plenty of players from the northeast wind up playing for schools in the ACC. Secondly, recruiting these days is national, and if you can’t recruit nationally, you won’t survive, so please spare me the “this is a death knell for Pitt basketball recruiting”.

Also, that Decourcy article is absurd. Did he really say that Pitt will be competing for 3rd place annually behind Carolina and Duke? Last time I checked, Pitt was winning the Big East regular season…the same league that the National Champion came from this past year. Oh, and anybody remember the last time we played Duke?

Yes, it will be tough to beat those schools because they are top tier basketball programs and teams year in and year out, but so are Villanova, UCONN, Connecticut and Georgetown and we did just fine there.

Comment by sweet caroline 09.18.11 @ 12:55 pm

Great move by the administration!

Comment by WLAT and the Big Beat 09.18.11 @ 12:59 pm

C’mon guys, the basketball thing is way overblown. When…not if…UConn leaves there will be no more BE.

Comment by steve 09.18.11 @ 12:59 pm

Pitt told marinatto last year that if big east did not go to 12 football schools pitt would do what was best for Pitt read that one hour ago. so the BB held things up and now they pay the price. I would have liked to stay in a expanded big east . But this was a smart thing to do and the safe thing. But i wil miss big east BB the ACC BB is all most as good but the ACC football is better. I dont think it will hurt BB recruiting because we dont recruit in NY mutch any more we seam to be recruiting in the DC area and more of a national approach . but i will miss the big east but it was the safe thing to do .If the big east had a better commissioner one more in tune to football it might not have happened

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 1:09 pm

I believe it came down to this:

Status Quo: Remain in arguably the best BB conference (for now) but stay in a FB league that may well lose its BCS status by 2014, either by non-performance or probably by national realigmnent

Join ACC: ensure playing in a respected basketball and FB league in the longterm

I do must admit that there is a large part of me that hates leaving BE BB, but I do understand that when you consider the longterm, it’s a decision that had to be made

Comment by wbb 09.18.11 @ 1:09 pm

Here’s the only problem with DeCourcy’s theory, wbb.

– Birch as we know is from Canada.
– Gilbert is from Philly, but was considering all ACC schools except for Pitt.
– Durand Johnson is from Baltimore well within range of the ACC as well as the BE.
– John Johnson is from Philly but also was considering as many ACC schools as BE schools
– James Robinson is from Hyattsvile, MD and was considering more ACC schools than BE schools.
– Adams as we know is from pretty far away from the BE and the ACC.

The point is DeCourcy is a little behind the time. Jamie has elevated the program to the point that he can recruit anywhere. It isn’t your grandfather’s Pitt program anymore.

I think Jamie will be fine and Pitt will be fine. Everyone is worried about Jamie’s style of play in the ACC. It may be that style of play – tough defense, highly efficient ball possession, etc. – actually plays to Pitt’s advantage. Time will tell.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 1:15 pm

I would like to hear what jamie thinks abought this and graham what he thinks. but if you think abought it we had to go the ACC is a safe bet and the big east with that commissioner not os safe he was to mutch of a BB man.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 1:33 pm

I would like to hear Luck and WVU thoughts on this. do you think they are on the way to SEC.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 1:49 pm

P.S.@wbb,

Not saying you agree with DeCourcy. Addressed the reply to you because you posted the link to the article.

I wanted the BE to survive and split into a FB and non-FB two division league. Posted that several times over the past year. However, what’s done is done and I’m sure Nordy and Pedey are looking out for Pitt’s our best interest. It’s time to look forward rather than backward.

Certainly from an academic standpoint, this is a great fit on both sides. Let’s not forget that. Like many of you, I did go to Pitt for the education. The sports was just a bonus.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 1:54 pm

^^Pitt’s and our best interest.

Typing in a rush. Supposed to take the grandson to the zoo and the wife is getting angry. Bye for now.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 1:56 pm

From a basketball perspective, the ACC is a better fit for Pitt than the Big Ten would have been. Also the Big Ten would would been much tougher for the Panthers to compete in football. Of course, Pitt would accepted an offer from the Big Ten, if an offer would have made. But the Big Ten didn’t really want Pitt. So Pitt didn’t really have a lot of viable options. Either they wait around while the musical chairs of conference realignment goes on, and hope to find a chair or take the next best deal. I think going to the ACC is a good move for the University. Hail to Pitt.

Comment by Justinian 09.18.11 @ 2:02 pm

UCONN has to be brought over as well. The ACC should target them and someone else from The Big East. I keep hearing Rutgers and they are a logical choice because of the proximity to NYC but this isn’t a WOW buy. WVU might not fit in academically but this helps solidify a rivalry for us while UCONN gives Syracuse theirs.

I have mixed emotions over this move. We’re leaving possibly the greatest basketball conference ever built in the history of mankind. But, if we don’t pull the trigger now we might be left in a bad situation playing teams like Buffalo and Toledo in a “rebuilt” Big East Conference. I can see Marinatto’s face now, smiling holding a Toledo jersey. /shudders

Comment by Panthoor 09.18.11 @ 2:04 pm

I keep reading how Graham gets a pass this week cause of all the ACC news, and the fact is and reality of it all is that Graham should get a pass for the entire year. He is inheriting players who are good, but lets face it, he didn’t recruit them. So lets back off of him a little bit and not be so quick to jump on his back. I am not saying we should lay down for him, but lets give him time to build the program how he wants. I am not a Tino supporter, furthest thing from it, but Graham deserves some time to succeed so that when we get to the ACC we are a force to be reckoned with!

Comment by henryhudson228 09.18.11 @ 2:04 pm

How will things work will there be two 7 team div and what team would be were have you read any thing. i could find no info i guess it is to soon any ideas from any one.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 2:06 pm

Too bad Skip Prosser isn’t still with us, that would have been fun playing him at Wake Forest. Also, from a basketball conference, the ACC is top notch. I have a hard time that Dixon wouldn’t be able to recruit plenty of kids who are willing and wanting to play the likes of Duke, UNC, Maryland, and the other members of the ACC. This is a good move all around! Looking forward to seeing Dixon’s take on it all. I agree would still love to see UConn and Rutgers brought in the mix, word down here is that the ACC is still looking for 2 more schools.

Comment by henryhudson228 09.18.11 @ 2:09 pm

I read were ACC would like it to be kansas and texas for the next two teams

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 2:42 pm

Kansas or Texas make no sense being in an all East Coast conference. I have read the reports as well but I think this will lose steam fast once The SEC steps up their pursuit.

So, North and South Divisions in the ACC then?

Comment by Panthoor 09.18.11 @ 2:49 pm

Second wave of BE football schools moving to ACC will come within a year to take the ACC to 16. Would really like to see that ACC media contract and all of its out (renewal) clauses. Bet there is something in it regarding conference realignment. Expect UConn and WVU (or Rutger) to be the next wave to come to the ACC.

ACC has now positioned themselves into the original ACC (south division) and the old BIG EAST (north division). We all knew that the hybrid relationship in the BE was going to come to an end eventually. We knew that we werent going to keep the BE name in a new football conference as the baskball BE schools would keep it. So moving to the ACC north division is exactly what was predicted. BE football schools divide from the basketball schoools. Call it what you want but PITT and the remaining BE football schools predicted this to the commissioner. Perhaps the BE basketball school are getting what they want after all. The original all catholic small liberal arts basketball league.

Uconn + WVU (or Rutgers) go to the ACC
Rutger (or WVU) + UL, Cincinnati, SF, TCU go with the remaining B12 schools and form the new B12 with an automatic bid to the BCS.

WVU possibly to SEC
Rutgers possibly to Big 10

ACC had a choice. SU and PITT (or UCONN or RUTGER). PITT was more the leverage move since they knew the B10 perhaps would take either off the table once the ACC moved. They knew that the B10 would not go after UConn and thus they could wait on UConn and offer later. They are running the risk by leaving Rutgers out there long but feel that UConn would deliver more of the NYC market so Rutger is a risk. Lose PITT and the ACC loses PA. Lose SU and they Lose NYC. PITT and SU were strategic moves on the chess board played perfectly by Swofford. Next move will be UConn and WVU (or Rutger).

Big Ten just lost out on SU and PITT which likely now appears more attractive to them.

Interesting business moves.

Comment by Pitt fan in Atlanta 09.18.11 @ 2:49 pm

I cannot be happier for Pitt. The administration did a great job. As for basketball I agree with TampaT that we no longer are limited to the Philly and New York City locations for recruiting. Jamie is going to be pissed about TCU being left out to dry given his hand in getting them into the Big East.

Does anyone else read a lot into the silence that is coming from Morgantown and the WVU administration? I am convinced that they let Pitt know that they are headed to the SEC very soon and that is what helped Pitt move when they did. If Luck and company were not in good shape you would think they would be the most upset of any of the remaining members of the Big East.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 2:57 pm

John in South Carolina that is what i have posted what is up i hear nothing from them WVU should be crazy. I was thinking SEC but i hear nothing .

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 3:09 pm

Sure wish there was a possibility of PSU making the move to the ACC..

Comment by FG 09.18.11 @ 3:16 pm

Decourcy who I general like, wrote a crappy article. He neglected to point out the changing recruiting base for Pitt, as some above noted. He also left out a huge point, the BE was doomed regardless if it was Pitt that left or not. Better to get out before you are a leftover. Pitt was smart and found a league that fits them best in hoops and FB…you know what would have doomed their BB program even more. Being stuck in a garbage league after the likes of UCONN, Cuse, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville all moved on to other leagues.

Comment by OntarioLett'sGoPitt 09.18.11 @ 3:18 pm

Frankcan I believe you were one of those that said that no one know what is going to happen regarding expansion news because what is truly happening is kept very quiet. The SEC has been very quiet since accepting Texas A&M. With Florida State off the table due to the $20 million buyout clause in the ACC who are the most likely candidates for the SEC? I would think WVU and Missouri. Missouri has been making as much noise as a wounded hog and WVU has been absolutely quiet. Who do you think has an invitation?

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 3:38 pm

TampaT, I posted the article not because I totally agreed with it, but just to present another viewpoint. There are a few times on this site when everyone seems so insistent that everything about Pitt is just about perfect, and I just like to shake things up a bit. I believe it is always good to see the other sides of issues.

Comment by wbb 09.18.11 @ 3:42 pm

I agree with the others that the DeCourcy article was nonsense. Jamie Dixon and his staff should be able to recruit anywhere they want to recruit.

One can question Steve Pederson’s words and actions (or rip him another one) but there is no way the administration made the application to the ACC without informing Jamie Dixon, Todd Graham and the head coaches of the other athletic programs. I just can’t believe Mark Nordenberg would not inform them before the process was under way.

I also agree the ACC is not done expanding. the more I think about it Rutgers and UConn will be coming, making a complete 16 team conference with a true Northern Division (Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, UConn, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech) and Southern Division (UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami, should they survive the NCAA investigation). I think it would be fair to say that the Big East style of basketball will bleed over into the ACC to some degree.

In football terms, when the expansion is done, Pitt will be in a conference with a secure BCS bid and exposure in Washington, DC, Atlanta and Miami. In basketball terms, Pitt will still be playing some old Big East rivals (especially if UConn and Rutgers come along).

I would like to see the ACC set up its own TV network, set up an academic alliance/consortium (like the Big 10 did) and maybe move its headquarters from Greensboro to Washington, DC for a more central location.

Penn State athletics are a rock sinking in a pond. Oh, Beaver Stadium will still be filled, which is a credit to their fans, but they won’t win anything, with the exception of the hockey program they are starting up.

Comment by Penguins Fan 09.18.11 @ 3:47 pm

JOHN i think you are right.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 3:59 pm

Melvin Dan TampaT every one thinks big 12 left overs will come to big east. but big 12 pays 20 million per team in tv contract big east 6 million so why wont whats left of big east go to big 12 makes more sence yes no ?

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 4:06 pm

Figured as much, wbb, hence the P.S. Post from my phone and getting in trouble. Got to go.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 4:16 pm

Initial reports were that UCONN and RU were the next targets for the ACC. I would not doubt that both have already been invited, but both are also potential candidates for the Big 10. They may be waiting to see if they get an invite from the Big 10…I would be very surprised if Lville and WVU do not wind up as part of a 16 team SEC.

Comment by HbgFrank 09.18.11 @ 4:18 pm

I can see Rutgers as part of the Big Ten but not UConn. Their football program does not have the history or strength of a Big Ten program. UConn’s best bet is the ACC or else be left out in the cold. I would prefer Rutgers in the ACC also. When this is all over the Pitt football schedule may look not too different than the pre 2003 Big East raid with Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech, and UConn on it every year and Miami on it intermittently. I hope Pitt and WVU can schedule the Backyard Brawl annually as an OOC game. I would hate to see it go the way of the Pitt/Penn State rivalry.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 4:35 pm

From the Pitt Panther Facebook site:

Live on PittsburghPanthers.com tonight at 6pm: Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg and Athletic Director Steve Pederson discuss the University of Pittsburgh’s acceptance into the Atlantic Coast Conference:

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 4:39 pm

Big East Tournament was the best part of Pitt athletics. It’s gone. F### the greedy texas schools for ruining the best part of the Pitt experience. We will look back on these events with regret. Trust me.

Comment by The Truth 09.18.11 @ 4:46 pm

Have to agree a Great Move for the Panthers Hail To Pitt

Comment by 63Team 09.18.11 @ 4:48 pm

Best article written so far. Agree with her assessment of Nordenberg:

link to espn.go.com

Comment by The Truth 09.18.11 @ 5:19 pm

What extremes they won’t go to, to keep the heat off of Tino. haha

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 5:39 pm

The media is loving this piling on Pitt. Hey should we expect anything less from them. And anything written by an ESPN writer, come on…what hypocrisy.
For ESPN is the major network player in ALL of this conference realigning and if they didn’t sign off on it…..believe me….it wouldn’t happen.

So to then write this dribble about hypocrisy and greed coming from an ESPN writer, is just so much hogwash. And it is they, especially ESPN that are the hypocrites.

BTW, ESPN and their writers/broadcasters love to portray themselves as some sort of independent group of journalists(some even think of themselves as investigative journalists,lol). Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 5:52 pm

That was @ The Truth…or should I say The TRoll

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 5:53 pm

@FRankCan,

If OU< OSU & Texas leave the Big 12, ESPN, Fox sports has already said that huge contract they signed for $18-$20 million per team will be void.

And I don't think a league with KU, KSU, Baylor, ISU and whatever remnants of the BigEast join it, will get much of a TV contract, do you?

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 6:02 pm

It had to be done. Best possible outcome. Like to see UCONN and Rutgers get in, but Texas and Kansas would be strong. No possible good football outcome in the Big East. Will miss the Backyard Brawl but will get over it just like PSU.

Comment by gc 09.18.11 @ 6:04 pm

link to pittsburghpanthers.com

Our media video player works very nicely.

Mark & STeve on right now !

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 6:05 pm

I never ever want Pitt to be in the same conference as Texas. I have the up most confidence in the ACC that Texas will never be part of the ACC. I had enough of the Texas/Notre Dame experience in the Big East.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 6:33 pm

ESPN is reporting that Pitt going to the ACC “”clobbered everything” regarding the Big 12’s future.” in the article below. That is really funny. Texas is trying to deflect the blame in any direction it can. I did not know Pitt’s influence was so great in the Big Twelve landscape.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 6:38 pm

Here’s a copy of an email I sent to this hypocritical ESPN writer, Dana O’Neil. (who wrote this POS article that’s linked above.

Hi Dana,

I usually enjoy your columns but this one is
way out of line.

Especially from an ESPN writer. Your network
is THE major player in all of these conference’s.

Therefore ESPN being the benefactor of the money from the subscription fees and the advertising dollars received in the broadcasting of all of these conference’s athletic games is
generating Hundreds of Millions of dollar$ in
revenue.

And ESPN had to have ‘signed off’
on this conference re-alignment. And In fact
helped precipitate the chaos in the Big 12
fiasco by signing on with Texas and creating
the Longhorn Network which is the major point of contention with other Big 12 members.

Again ESPN is the benefactor here and they
are the ones who have precipitated things in
the Big 12 and they are ones who had
‘to sign off’ on Pitt & Syracuse leaving the
BigEast and moving to the ACC.

If ESPN hadn’t ‘signed off’, ……it wouldn’t have happened. And the hypocrisy and greed you write about, is all about ESPN’s hypocrisy and greed. Your employer.

Good ploy though, blame someone else.
Good thing Walt Disney didn’t live to see who
he is controlling his company now.

Geez

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 6:51 pm

Well here’s the link, as to not confuse it with the one directly above my last post.

link to espn.go.com

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 6:52 pm

“The source said Pittsburgh was one of the Big 12’s top options as a replacement for Texas A&M, and that when Pitt announced it was going to the ACC, it “clobbered everything” regarding the Big 12’s future. ”

That’s hilarious John In South Carolina.

Yea, I didn’t realize we were such a major player that even influenced Texas & Oklahoma. lmao

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:17 pm

MelvinBennett i just read that and was going to post it than i saw you had already. Did pitt know that they were to take A&M place. melvin i ask this before are the left over from big 12 going to big east or are the left over of big east to go to big 12 the big 12 tv cotract is biger 20 million per school big east 6 million . what do you think melvin who goes were?

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 7:28 pm

Love the move to the ACC,Had to be done. Was I the only one losing sleep over what was happeneing. I was scared to death that Pitt would be in the postion that Cincy and Louisville and S. Florida are right now. I feel bad for the Big East football teams that have no place to go but can not blame Pitt for being proactive. Also, I know Pitt broke my heart again yesterday but who really felt we would be close to winning this game. I love Pitt and all that it stands for and am a proud parent of 2 boys going to Pitt and well as being a graduate in 1976.. and my wife went to MAryland so we will be having some road trips. Hail to Pitt and good job to the Pitt administration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by BruceF 09.18.11 @ 7:35 pm

If the ACC adds Uconn & RU, that would totally hem in the Little 11 + 1 non-AAu school. No further expansion in the East. If they can’t convince ND or Texas to join, they would be faced with picking from the 6 dwarfs of the Big 12. I don’t think Delaney imagined that scenario. lol

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:42 pm

Spot on BruceF

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:45 pm

@FRankCan, (Repost)

So if they Big 12 contract becomes null & void, the remnants of the Big 12 would have no option other than to join the BigEast, that does have a TV contract. At least they do until 2012.
Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 6:02 pm

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:48 pm

I agree with you melvinbennett! The ACC should offer UConn and RU now while RU maybe in a little bit of a panic. That would seal off the East Coast and put a stop to the eastward expansion of the so called “big” ten. I could say that with more conviction if we had not folded in the 4th against Iowa.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 7:49 pm

They can talk about greed and hyprocrisy all they want.

Nordy made it very clear that they preferred staying in a BE conference but that something needed to be done.

As I discussed in prior threads, Pitt likely had the same concerns about being iced out. 10 schools inquired about ACC membership.

What if we woke up this morning and found out Syracuse and UConn were bolting. How would Pitt look then?

Let’s call it what it is…the basketball schools destroyed the Big East. The Big East will survive as a Conference USA or A10 type of conference.

They will still have Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, and Notre Dame (there boosters are so delusional they will never join a conference) regardless of what happens to Louisville, UConn and WVU.

The Big East had a chance to keep Pitt and Syracuse. They blew it.

btw, I had no animosity for VT, Miami when they departed it made sense. BC on the other hand was a backstab.

Speaking of BC there is an instant rivalry for former BE schools cause of there whining about how they were treated that final season.

DaveD

Comment by DaveD 09.18.11 @ 7:49 pm

addendum to above post

If nothing else, the BigEast would still have a viable working basketball league, something the Big 12 (minus TX, OU & OSU & TT) wouldn’t be able to say.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:52 pm

MELVIN thanks for the info i did not know that so they go to what is left of big east.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 7:54 pm

@DaveD.

The media, like CBS & ESPN(and their cohorts) are looking to pin this hypocrisy and greed angle they’re playing, on someone OTHER THAN THEMSELVES. Hoping people don’t realize, they are the MAJOR PLAYERS behind the scenes, that are ‘signing off’ on all of these conference realignment deals.

Without the huge payout$ (payoffs) being spread around by these Huge Media conglomerates in the form of Television rights, NONE of this can/could happen. The hypocrisy here is incredible.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 7:59 pm

@melvinbennet,

Thanks for finishing my thought…that is what I meant :)

DaveD

Comment by DaveD 09.18.11 @ 8:00 pm

I would think FRANKCAN, nothing is for certain.
That’s my best guess. I don’t think ESPN will want to pay for two TV contracts when they can pay for one by having the remnants of the Big 12 join the existing BigEast. As the BigEast will still have some value (TV wise) in basketball.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 8:04 pm

My concern is Jamie. As I recall, he was instrumental in recruiting TCU (his alma mater) to come to the BE. Jamie has to be mortified at this turn of events. No doubt, they “consulted” him, but Jamie is such a class act, he would not put himself above the university. If he ever goes, so goes Pitt BB. Hope my paranoia is unfounded on this one.
PS. I love “high octane”, but not when it is at the expense of a gassed defense. Coach lost this one.

Comment by wally 09.18.11 @ 8:07 pm

@Dave D
Didn’t mean to finish your thought, I was just agreeing with you. Thanks though.

This ESPN article has encouraged my rage at media hypocrisy.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 8:08 pm

@wally,

While I love what Howland & Dixon have done for Pitt basketball. We did survive Howland leaving and we will more than survive if Dixon ever leaves.
We have had basketball success(late 80’s/early 90’s and of course our Final 4 appearance in the 40’s and Elite 8 in 1974) even pre-Howland/Dixon and that was with a 3rd rate Field House and minimal money spent on the program.

I still believe one day, Sean Miller will return to his roots.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 8:14 pm

Sean Miller has ties to the ACC as well. Very interesting.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 8:18 pm

This could happen lets say ACC takes two more from big east and some else takes one the big east could end up like this cincy louisville WVU S FLORIDA TCU Kansas st Baylor Iowa st 8 teams with only UCF OR NOVA to take them to 10. Boy would it suck for WVU to be stuck there.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 8:24 pm

Frankcan at Colin Dunlap’s twitter account below, it is reported that WVU has sent in the paperwork to the SEC today. Colin is formerly of the Post Gazette and is now with I believe KDKA in Pittsburgh. As I said before, WVU is going to be OK.

link to twitter.com

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 8:38 pm

They need to do whatever it takes to keep the Backyard Brawl alive on Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment by Chris 09.18.11 @ 8:40 pm

The Backyard Brawl on Thanksgiving weekend is going to go the way of the Penn State/Pitt game on Thanksgiving weekend. The best we can hope for is an annual September Backyard Brawl. I would guess long term an annual Maryland/Pitt Thanksgiving weekend would be appropriate unless Penn State comes to their senses and joins the ACC. Anyone else notice how badly their football program has gone down hill since they joined the Big Ten. Of course that may have to do with a certain geriatric coach as well.

Comment by John In South Carolina 09.18.11 @ 8:46 pm

John in south carolina you were right and i bet PITT knew it was comeing.

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 8:49 pm

Simply my opinion. Graham keeps blaming the problems on the players not being able to pick up his sophisticated system. I do not buy this. No one is going to confuse Tulsa with Pitt academically or subsequently with the standards required my athletes to maticulate at either school (despite preference atheltes receive). The implict message is that the Tulsa players were simply brighter than Pitt’s the first year the “system” was installed. Second the system is so sophisticated that high school players at a Texas H.S. have mastered its intragecies better than their collegiate counterparts. This is the reason an unrecruited (this is the truth) highschool quarterback from that H.S. was offered a to walk-on at Pitt and is now ready to make history by being the first freshman walk-on Division1 QB to star a major college game. This 18 second offense exhausts the defense and is not a viable offense scheme outside of minroe conferences such as the USA. We are in big trouble in our football program anyone who watched the Iowa game knows who was to blame Graham and his “Walcott Medicine Show”

Comment by DRW 09.18.11 @ 9:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Remember that Dana O’neil is a Penn State grad. As such, her objectivity when it comes to Pitt goes right down the crapper.

Comment by Greg from State College 09.18.11 @ 9:02 pm

DRW,
Ever hear of Oregon or Auburn?

Comment by sweet caroline 09.18.11 @ 9:05 pm

I find it fascinating that the NCAA is always all up in the business of players and coaches and recruiters and boosters, but is absolutely and completely MIA when it comes to conference realignment and the devastating impact it could and likely will have on a lot of universities, players, coaches, recruiters and boosters.

Comment by cnorwoodaz 09.18.11 @ 9:11 pm

Thanks Melvin-I am not to worried about Coach Dixon leaving Pitt just because Pitt joined the ACC. I beleive UCONN will be the next ACC member so Pitt will still have the Syracuse, Uconn, BC connection from the old days plus Duke/NC games each year. The ACC will become an even bigger monster in basketball and not to shabby football conference! I also would love to have Rutgers join the ACC, not so much for the athletics but to shut out the the smug MidWest Big 10 from the eastern borders. Let them continue to be the so called almighty conference. Time and demographics will prove that Pitt in the ACC is better than Pitt in the MIDWEST, Hail to Pitt and beat Notre Dame. Am going to the game and hope for a win. I am so happy that I don’t have to worry in my lifetime that my Pitt Panthers are secuely in one of the super conferences. Has been a long 2 years getting to this point!

Comment by BruceF 09.18.11 @ 9:12 pm

DRW, you must not have seen my post, this offense is run by half the teams anymore, or some variation.

Like sweet caroline said, Auburn, Oregon.

Thursday nights game, Miss St, Lsu.

There is only one person who blew that game, with interceptions, fumbles, not being able to get a first down, three five and outs in a row.

Missing a wide open Street for a touchdown with another 5 yard underthrown ball for yet another interception.

You want to blame Graham, go ahead, for playing Tino.

Other than that, you ought to quit preaching if you don’t like it and quit watching. Seems to really be bothering you.

Grahams here, the offense is here, he gets many years to prove himself or not.

Just like the past two coaches got 8 years, and 6 years, and your judging after game 3??????

We all get your point, its the same thing everytime. You don’t like Graham or his offense.

Ok, we get it!!

Comment by Dan 09.18.11 @ 9:17 pm

That Dana O’Neil (from ESPN.com) piece on this situation is just plain air-headed! Change was going to happen with or without Pitt. For once, Pitt did the smart thing and was proactive in making sure we had a place in the new conference world.

Comment by HbgFrank 09.18.11 @ 9:18 pm

@ Dan
Anyone who uses Wanny’s initials (David Raymond Wannstedt) as his posting name is going to bash the new coach, regardless of what system he uses.

Plus DRW, like his hero, loves the grind-it-out offense so you’re going to see it over and over and over, regardless of whether it’s successful or not. :)

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 9:28 pm

PITT did the rigt thing we have a seat at the big dance. and if you read tis post john says WVU sent paper work to the SEC. And there will be outhers and it is the commissioner of the big east and the BB schools fault. Not pitt or the orange men .

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 9:31 pm

This is nothing short of stunning to me. I was getting texts from a couple friends from WVU while at my daughter’s soccer game and I had no idea what they were talking about. Leaving the Big East in basketball will be very bittersweet. However Pitt did what they needed to do in the changing landscape. I live in ACC country so selfishly I love chance to get to see the Panthers at some great campus settings. Hail to Pitt!!!

Comment by BCE 09.18.11 @ 9:36 pm

@melvinbennett
Nice letter to O’Neil. It is ironic that an ESPN columnist would talk about greed. But that’s for the business and ad people. She’s a “journalist” and above all that. She’s probably just smarting since she covered BE basketball until her promotion.

Another ESPN columnist/personality, Jay Bilas wrote that with the addition of Pitt and ‘Cuse, the power has shifted back to the ACC as the best basketball conference in the country. He sees the ACC adding UConn and perhaps Rutgers, but he says don’t rule out Notre Dame instead of Rutgers, and as a full member yet. A reach, but who knows with the way things have gone.

So, FRANKCAN: The ACC’s aggressive move and Monday’s decision by OK and TX may force the Big Ten (or whatever number they’re up to) to become the Big 16. They may try to snatch up Kansas, Mizzou and Iowa St., the Big 12’s remaining AAU member schools, leaving them one short of 16. They’ll likely target Rutgers, IMO, the only remaining big AAU school not locked up, I think.

If RU goes to the ACC, not sure what will happen then. They may bend their AAU “rule” like they did with Nebraska and beg Notre Dame to join them. I’d love to see ND demand the same deal they have with the BE though and screw the Big Whatever over. They’re the ones who started all this conference crap last summer anyway, so it serves them right.

Comment by TampaT 09.18.11 @ 9:46 pm

Thank God Pitt and Rutgers said no to Villanova’s attempt to become part of the Big East Football league this spring. This would have just made my sleepless nights continue. Looking back at what happened this spring when Pitt was made to be the bad guy in not letting Villanova in as a football member now seems to show that Pitt began to flex its muscles and saw the handwriting all the wall. I grew up in Pittsburgh and now live in Allentown so I read and hear alot about the Villanova situation. It made no sense to have a weak Villonava football team join the football end of things and for the Commissioner of the Big East to envison this as a way to save the Big East speaks volumes to the leadership void in Providence. I agree that the Big East basketball teams did not give a sh_t about their Big East football partners and they will now have to pay the price of losing some good basketball teams!

Comment by BruceF 09.18.11 @ 9:54 pm

The fact that Marinatto was supposedly ‘blindsided’ by all of this, sounds less than disingenuous.

Chancellor Nordenberg made it perfectly clear at today’s 6pm media conference, that PITT sent the BigEast a letter in May (over 4 months ago), saying they were exploring all options. Also he put to the rest, the other smear job of him being the current Executive Chairman of the BigEast. The Chancellor said he hasn’t held that position since 2005.

With the way the BigEast under Marinatto was run, it figures they wouldn’t even know who the current Executive Chairman is. Same thing for that slob Jurich down in Louisville. I really hope they end in nowheresville.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 10:48 pm

Found my way here via the internet, Penn State fan. Pitt just made a great move to the ACC, and quite honestly I wish PSU would come to their senses and bolt along with UConn for the ACC as well. PSU lost it’s big time east coast recruiting advantages when it joined the Big Ten, and now we compete in regions we have no history in, which has hurt us considerably. I lament not playing Pitt every year, and truly miss all of the eastern rivalries. Playing Pitt, Syracuse and others would just be wonderful to see.

Also, the ACC would have tremendous sports in all other areas outside of wrestling. Unfortunately, I don’t believe we have the foresight to do it. Have fun with all those eastern recruits you are going to now get coming your way. If you are a east coast kid and want your family to see you play, why would you go to a school that’s 300 miles east from anyone it plays?

Comment by Mike 09.18.11 @ 10:48 pm

BruceF you hit the nail on the head you are so right

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.18.11 @ 10:49 pm

Another caveat, I guess Marinatto and Jurich must have missed all the hoopla of PITT being a target of the Big 12. Where have these clowns been the
last 6 weeks?

Orbiting the Earth in the ISS?

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 10:51 pm

@Greg from State College,

Thanks for the heads on Little Dana. Did a little research on the biotch myself, she worked for the Philadelphia Daily news and for 7 years her beat was Villanova basketball. AND she’s a Penn State grad. Yes she’s very nondescript looking like so many of the Nittany Cows.

Her antipathy towards Pitt is in a much clearer light now.

Thanks for the headsup again Greg

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 11:02 pm

@Tampa T

Thanks for the thumbs up.

I would think being stuck with the big 12 dwarfs would be a more appropriate. Imagine the Little 11 could have had Pitt & Syracuse(two Major Media markets), they might get stuck with Iowa State and Kansas State (nowhere & next to nowhere). Especially in Mizzou goes to the SEC.

If WVU ends up there, there’s no reason the PG needs to report on them anymore or the Pittsburgh TV stations need to bother either.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 11:10 pm

If Marinatto was blindsided by this, then he’s a bigger fool than most of us even suspected.

Comment by thestumper 09.18.11 @ 11:16 pm

@Tampa T again

Wonder if I’ll get a response email from our girl Dane? Ya think ! haha

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 11:16 pm

She’s very clever, she made her article seem mainly directed at Syracuse. In fact it appears….that Pitt is just an afterthought until about halfway into the article, when she attacks PITT and Nordy with some vicious verbiage.

I called her out for it, I’d like to send a copy to her editor actually and call him out. Of course he more than likely ok’d this attack piece by his little attack dog, Dana.

Yellow journalism at it’s finest !!

Comment by melvinbennett 09.18.11 @ 11:32 pm

@melvinbennett

If you do get a response, you need to post it here. That would be interesting to read.

She’s writing as a columnist in that piece not as a reporter, so she’s OK stating her opinion. It just happens to be a pretty cynical, self-serving and misinformed one.

As you have found in your research, she has strong ties to the Big East. As many have stated, Pitt and Nordy did what they could to save the Big East over the years, which she uses to admonish rather than praise them. And as many have stated, Pitt was clear in its intentions over a year ago that if the Big East did not strengthen its football competition, they were going to explore their options, which she totally leaves out of her argument.

The Big East has only themselves to blame. The handwriting was on the wall. Pitt and most of the other football schools were unhappy. The Big East made no more than a half-assed effort to appease them, so why would anyone be surprised or upset that those schools are now bolting for other conferences.

I do feel bad for the football schools that will be left behind, but I’m guessing they’re all starting to look for options as well. So, the Big East will become what it wants to be, purely a basketball conference.

Comment by TampaT 09.19.11 @ 12:05 am

Well I’m pissed. Let ESPN write this article, about greed and hypocrisy, about themselves and their business partner, that being Texas and the ESPN Longhorn Network. That is what imploded the Big 12 and started this whole new phase of realignmentpalooza. And it’s mostly all being driven by the buck$ that ESPN/CBS/Fox Sports are providing as the bait. ESPN had revenues off of College football last year close to $400 million.
Not counting 2nd tier & 3rd tier revenues off of their other ESPN’s.

Let’s see how they report OU & Texas bolting the Big 12 tomorrow and how much greed and hypocrisy is reported then.

Comment by melvinbennett 09.19.11 @ 12:24 am

The colleges are only getting $10-$20 million or so each. The REAL WINNER IN THIS WHOLE PROCESS IS ESPN. THEY HAVE A LOT OF FRICKIN NERVE !!

Comment by melvinbennett 09.19.11 @ 12:27 am

Smizik gives PITT a big thumbs up!

Get on there and give him a 5 star rating gents:

link to communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com

Comment by melvinbennett 09.19.11 @ 1:14 am

Thanks for sharing this one. I really appreciate and enjoyed reading. Keep it up and good luck.

Comment by Steffie @ conference space 09.19.11 @ 2:08 am

Hey Mel, I’m giving her a good morning bombing on that Espn site. Dana, her name is. I would link my comment hear, not sure how to do that. Know how to link the site, but the comments????

Anyhow, tried to use Dan0, allready taken!! ha ha

So, mine is under ddlochness if you want a laugh!!!

Comment by Dan 09.19.11 @ 6:48 am

[...] Wake Up And It’s A New Conference: “It is official. Pitt and Syracuse are moving to the ACC [...] The exact timeline is unclear. Big East rules call for a 27 month notice period — and the ACC stressed that they would abide the Big East bylaws. This may mean, a lot like what went down in the Big 12 last year that Pitt and Syracuse are going to have to surrender some extra money to the Big East to make it happen by next year.  We shall see on that front.” (Pitt Blather) [...]

It may be that there are not enough teams to get to 8 which is what you need check this out. louisville south florida cincinnati tcu kansas st baylor iowa st that is 7 and every one else could have a new home. they we need to add NOVA OR UCF to get to 8 boy that would suck

Comment by FRANKCAN 09.19.11 @ 10:23 am

Just wanted to add my two cents that this was an AWESOME move by Nordenberg….Finally Pitt is proactive…the ACC is exactly where Pitt belongs. Glad ‘Cuse is along for the trip too. The Big East was going to die one way or another, and I’m glad Pitt was able to get out and land in a major conference and end all of the uncertainty about Pitt’s future. I also loved the ACC’s move to add a $20 million payout to any team that tries to abandon the conference, that’s really the way you keep this new ACC conference bound together. $$ is thicker than any other loyalty! As crass as that is, that’s really a strong move by the ACC commish. Now we don’t have to worry about the SEC trying to poach FSU or The U.

Anyone think Notre Dame is going to start to panic now and jump to the Big 10? That’s my feeling, expecially if the Big East dissolves altogether…ND will need somewhere for their other sports to play and a way to get to a bowlgame in non-BCS (ie: every) years, I don’t think the Big 10 will just roll over and let them part way in the way the morons in the Big East did….I predict ND is in the Big 10 by this time next year.

Comment by CJK 09.19.11 @ 11:06 am

The Newark Star-Ledger (available at nj.com) in a story on what RU does next, says ACC to 16 teams Plan A is Texas-Notre Dame; Plan B is Texas-Texas Tech; Plan C is UConn-Rutgers.

Seems to me they’ll be going to Plan C.

Comment by Scott 78 09.19.11 @ 12:28 pm

I agree with everyone that it was the right move but I am somewhat disappointed that the Big East didn’t work out. It truly could have been the Beast of the East in Football & Basketball, but it was doomed when PSU wasn’t accepted in the early 80’s. I think we’ll play WVU for a few years, but not being in the same conference will severely water down the Backyard Brawl and it will end soon, just like the PSU game. So we will eventually lose all 3 of our biggest rivals: Pitt, WVU, and ND. And please don’t tell me that they can be replaced with Clemson,GT,etc. It won’t be the same, it will suck losing those rivalries.

Comment by Alex P 09.19.11 @ 1:56 pm

Just a smiling caller here to share a adore (:, btw good character . “Audacity, some-more insolence as well as regularly audacity.” by Georges Jacques Danton.

Comment by foreclosures delaware 10.03.11 @ 9:12 pm

I actually found this more etneratniing than James Joyce.

Comment by Jayde 10.04.11 @ 8:27 pm

ev1CYh jmtinqprjsmu

Comment by ezsfkavl 10.05.11 @ 5:42 am

IPail5 xlnsinlkrpyl

Comment by oaibuviszrt 10.07.11 @ 10:51 am

Utterly pent subject matter, regards for selective information. “The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly.” by Corra Harris.

Comment by hotels lewes de 10.18.11 @ 12:15 pm