April 29, 2011

Jon Baldwin Salvages the Big East

Filed under: Draft,Football,NFL — Chas @ 1:36 pm

As the only Big East player taken in the First Round of the NFL Draft, Jon Baldwin allowed the Big East to save some face. Not much, but some. As befits the present state of the conference, it should be expected that a lot of players will be taken from here on out. The players reflect the league. Not particularly strong at the top, but solid and mediocre all around. “Big East football. ACC-esque parity with fewer calories.”

So congrats to Jon Baldwin, the third Pitt Panther drafted in the 1st round in the last 5 years. He is Pitt’s 20th 1st round pick in the last 31 years. Baldwin was home with family when the call came.

“I felt blessed,” Baldwin said of his reaction upon receiving the telephone call from Chiefs coach Todd Haley. “I have been working toward this my whole life, and now I get the opportunity.”

After speaking at length to Haley, Baldwin said he turned to his father, Jeff, for a hug.

“He said, ‘Congratulations. This is something you have worked hard for. Now, go do what you do,’ ” Baldwin said.

The first thing…

Address every documented mistake you have made and prove you aren’t a bad seed.

The Chiefs have Jonathan Baldwin’s word, and maybe that’s enough. He said he’s a “good person,” and maybe he is. But for now, he is their newest draft pick — and, unlike last year, a player without a spotless background.

Maybe it’s nothing. That’s what Baldwin said late Thursday, anyway.

“I won’t be a problem,” said Baldwin, a wide receiver from the University of Pittsburgh. “I sat down with all the coaching staff and told them the kind of person I am. After they talked to me for about five minutes, they understood.”

Baldwin was charged in May 2009 with misdemeanor indecent assault, summary harassment and summary disorderly conduct after an alleged incident involving a female student on a bus. The charges were later dropped. More recently, Baldwin called out his quarterback at Pittsburgh and criticized his coaches earlier this year.

The outburst after Coach Wannstedt was fired and he said he was heading to the NFL seemed to be the bigger character issue. At least in terms of immediate reactions to how the pick was viewed.

Chiefs fans seem to be happy with the pick.  Actually, increasingly excited might be a better way of putting it. Having Baldwin line-up on the other side of Dwayne Bowe gives the Chiefs a much more dynamic passing game — and filled one of their needs.

The Chiefs attacked their biggest positional need with their first-round pick, drafting University of Pittsburgh wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin.

The 6-foot-5, 228-pound Baldwin played three seasons at Pitt. He had a big sophomore season, catching 57 passes for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns before slumping to 53 catches, 822 yards and five TDs as a junior last season.

“He had a big sophomore year,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “(Pittsburgh) struggled in general this past year, which always hurts a receiver. Maybe he fell off the radar a little bit, so to speak.

“I’m excited to see what Jonathan Baldwin will become. He’s an exceptional talent.”

Congrats to Baldwin, and hopefully there will be a season this fall.

Mel,

All valid draft busts, but look at the ones that panned out and compare that result to the other NFL teams. I would guess they stack up pretty well. As for calling me out, come on now. I would love to see all draft able Pitt players cross the hall to the Steeler locker room. No need to argue to the level you do. I bleed panthers.

question your own abilities first.

Comment by Pitt_it_IS 05.02.11 @ 6:53 pm

so with bin Laden out of the way, I guess Wanny moves to the top of the list

Comment by wbb 05.02.11 @ 6:58 pm

Speaking about Bin Laden, I just saw film on the Maddow show which showed a shot of celebrations last night in three areas – Boston, Washington, and Morgantown, West Virginia – each in a block on the video running at the same time. Not exactly 3 places with a lot in common. But I looked closer, and knew why they had Morgantown in one of the blocks. You guessed it – the hoopies were burning a couch. I could not make this up.

Un f’n real.

Comment by PO'd Panther 05.02.11 @ 10:00 pm

Hey I know the Stillers have drafted some real good players in the last 10 years. What I’m saying on these 5th, 6th & 7th round picks when everyone is trying to catch ‘lightning in a bottle’, they never take a chance on a Pitt player. Off the top of my head, they took two State Penn stiffs, AQ Shipley and Matt Kranchick who were lowly rated players and were more like bones thrown to Paterno & Bradley.

Pitt was coming off a dreadful decade of the 90’s and trying to resurrect it’s program in the 2000’s. A bone thrown here & there by the Steelers could only help in that regard. Not that Pitt didn’t produce some real quality players who could have helped the boys in Black & Gold. I’ve listed a few of them above.

Excuses can always be made why they didn’t draft this Pitt player and that Pitt player. Bottom line, they haven’t drafted one since Hank Poteat in 2000.(and they promptly got rid of him after 2-3 years) Nor have they signed many (any) as free agents, basically to invite to them training camp, pay them a few bucks and the kid can always say later in life, he once wore the Steeler uniform and made a tackle or a catch.

@ Cool Hand Nuke, I think it actually started with Tony Dorsett. How they let him get out of town is beyond me and then he ends up on their arch rival then, the Cowboys. But hey even coming off of Pitt’s 1976 National Championship, not one single Panther off that team was drafted by the hometown team. And back then there were 12 frickin rounds!!

Hey but check this out, our Stillers did draft one of our favorites…… Sal Sunseri in the 10th round in 1982. Go frickin figure. LMAO

Comment by melvinbennett 05.03.11 @ 6:04 am

After spring ball there are usually a few transfers, has anyone heard anything? I know we have Cullen Christian of Michigan (Penn Hills) and Brendon Felder (Gateway) from NC transferring in. Are there any players leaving?

Comment by winedogs 05.03.11 @ 9:34 am

After spring ball there are usually a few transfers, has anyone heard anything? I know we have Cullen Christian of Michigan (Penn Hills) and Brendon Felder (Gateway) from NC transferring in. Are there any players leaving this year?

Comment by winedogs 05.03.11 @ 9:34 am

I don’t know if anyone is leaving us. Still rumors being floated that Denard Robinson may leave (which I doubt) and possibly Dorian Bell (due to a season long suspension, although I doubt he’d end up at Pitt).

Comment by OntarioLett'sGoPitt 05.03.11 @ 10:59 am

Okay – I’m off topic but does anyone know what happened to Pitt’s promising baseball season? RPI of 135 with a 25-13 record? The entire Big East is down with the best team, UCONN, at 25-12 rated 63. Disappointing.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.03.11 @ 11:40 am

Correction: St. John’s is rated highest in Big East baseball at #39 with a 21-13. Still not good.

Comment by TonyinHouston 05.03.11 @ 11:49 am

Tony, don’t you think that the warm weather colleges have a definite edge in recruting the best baseball talent?

While the BE has an edge in BB talent, especially due to NYC/NJ, Philly and DC … you cannot say the same for FB or baseball

Comment by wbb 05.03.11 @ 12:22 pm

Denard Robinson probably would only get snaps with the 2nd team if he transferred to Pitt. You know good Sunseri is don’t you. Tino is the Man.

Comment by melvinbennett 05.03.11 @ 2:08 pm

You know how good Sunseri is don’t you? My bad

Comment by melvinbennett 05.03.11 @ 2:09 pm

I thought the Steelers might take wr Jonathon Baldwin in 1st round u know trade up; but instead took that jackass from Ohio State who snubbed my Pitt Panthers. Oh well!!!

Comment by RandyRandyTime 05.05.11 @ 12:19 am

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

Comment by Desiree Grauer 05.06.11 @ 5:35 pm

If “working all your life for this” means just rolling out of bed and showing up relying on your physical attributes rather than preparation; being a horrible teammate and having a bad attitude, then, yes, Baldwin’s worked all his life for this.

Comment by DanM 05.07.11 @ 1:03 pm

What a great resource!

Comment by Vernell Valdovino 05.07.11 @ 3:27 pm

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Comment by Lucila Centeno 05.08.11 @ 2:47 pm