November 12, 2010

Briefly and Ticked

Filed under: Big East,Conference,Football — Chas @ 1:57 am

Another wasted night.

Will try and get some sleep. Will try to compartmentalize that this does not mean it is all downhill from here and that Pitt will blow at least two of its final three games. I’ll try. Honest.

Ugh.

Special teams did their worst tonight. Like Cinci last year. Just when it seemed Pitt had the game in hand, they blew the kickoff and renewed the other team’s spark. That 95 yard kickoff return changed it all for UConn. Free points when they weren’t getting anything in the second half and Pitt seemed to be taking total control.

Then Graham with the fumble on the kickoff to give UConn a short field and 7 more points. 14 points from special teams for UConn.

Mark May was so ticked at the half regarding Pitt’s defense against UConn. He had a point. Stick eight in the box and take your chances with the UConn passing game. Not that it mattered late. Pitt’s defense couldn’t do anything against Todman. He wanted a yard or more, he and the UConn O-line got what they needed.

Sunseri and Hutchins are so similar. They are good with the short to medium stuff, but ask Hutchins for a long FG or Sunseri to throw deep and it is likely to be anyone’s guess where it will go. Hutchins sure picked a bad night to suck with punting as well.

The thing that probably has me most pissed is that Wannstedt will not devote any introspection as to why his teams have blown every national appearance, Why his teams play so poorly with extra preparation. Instead, it will be because of the turnovers that Pitt lost. Nothing else.

Reverend, do you call it wasting a redshirt when all the players want Myers to replace Tino? How would you feel and, more important, play if your coach decided to sacrifice your butt for the future of his program?

Like they did last night.

Comment by steve 11.12.10 @ 12:34 pm

Tampa – yes, UConn did call the timeout prior to the 4th and 1 play. Pitt had called its first timeout after the 2nd down play (which I didn’t agree with either, but at least I understand the reasoning). Pitt had plenty of time to recognize what was happening and call a timeout once they realized they were not ready.

I recorded the game because I knew that watching with our new daughter would be tough, so I haven’t seen most of the game. This was the one coaching related issue that jumped out at me. We can debate about how they got there or whether they should have ever been in that position, but on the do-or-die play of the game, they weren’t prepared.

I have not been an over the top critic of Wannstedt, but this was just inexcusable.

Comment by Pantherman13 11.12.10 @ 12:39 pm

Here, I’ll give you next years games, I have a magic ball you know!!!

Maine…W 21-17 “we knew the Black Bears were tough when we scheduled them” “we really need to improve”

Buffalo…W 37-28 “you know what you’re getting with Buffalo, that’s for sure”, “our defense has to get back to basics”

Iowa….L 27-14 “what can you say, Iowa, we all know Ferentz brings it, they’re Big Ten and rugged” “what else can you do, back to the drawing board”

Notre Dame….L 43-40 in double o.t. “what a game, a ashame someone had to lose” “I don’t care what anyone says, they’re still Notre Dame”

UTAH…..L 33-17 “we practiced all week against the spread” “no, their speed didn’t suprise us, we have to tackle better”

Big East Schedule 4-3 or 3-4 mix and match your wins and losses, whatever you’d like to do…”I knew once we got into conference play, things were gonna get tough.” “that’s what it’s like to be in a conference like the Big East” “you have to be ready for the ruggedness of conference play, and our guys just weren’t ready” “I’m not gonna quit on these guys, I know these guys aren’t gonna quit, they have heart” “we’re gonna do it, and do it again till we figure this thing out”

There, I saved you nausea, heartburn, stress and anxiety of another season of Pitt football, you’re welcome.

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 12:42 pm

I hope everyone remembers what Walt Harris’ agent said “I dont know what Pitt fans think their program is!” If anyone is suprised by the fact that they lost against Connecticut last night they have not been watching this season. Pitt will likely be 7-5 or 8-4 and represent the Big East in the BCS. They are not a top 10 team and probably not a top 30 team either. They can however beat anyone on any given day if they play well. Lets win a Big East championship before we start looking for a National Championship. One hurdle at a time Folks…..

Comment by Pitt Man 11.12.10 @ 12:44 pm

Thanks, Dan.

Notice none of your (his) quotes never put the blame where it truly rests.

I’ve been in DW’s office. There is no sign that says “The buck stops here”, but there should be.

Comment by Bobby 11.12.10 @ 12:45 pm

Pitt Man: I don’t think anyone here was thinking National Championship this year or even next year. I do think we all hoped for another step forward. Winning the BE would be something new but doing it at 8-4 or 7-5 does not represent a step forward.

As far as Walt’s agent,: What he failed to recognize is that the COACH defines the program, not the fans. Jamie Dixon has built a nationally admired program with almost zero tradition, and certainly a lot less than Pitt has in football.

Comment by TampaT 11.12.10 @ 1:08 pm

Tony Cancilla, I would add Brandon Lindsey to your list. He played with some heart last night.

Comment by KeyboardKev 11.12.10 @ 1:10 pm

Tampa T: And when Pitt loses in the Elite 8 or does not go to the final 4 you will hear the same people complaining about losing the big game.

Comment by Pitt Man 11.12.10 @ 1:14 pm

Pitt Man: You are right. There are some who are never satisfied. I am not one of them. Go back and read my posts from last bball season.

The difference is that we have always seen progress from Jamie, his players improve during their time at Pitt and they always compete even when the talent on the other side is far better. That is not the case with the football team.

Comment by TampaT 11.12.10 @ 1:21 pm

Before I take off from the office for the weekend, thought I’d save all of my Pitt Blather mates the heartburn and agony of 2013 also. Easy to do with the Wannster at the helm. 2013

UCF…W…31-21 “we had a good spring, we had a
solid fall”, “dont under estimate
this win” “UCF is in the hotbed
of recruitng talent”, “we’ll
take it”

Buffalo…W..21-17 “they played us tough last
year, we knew what to expect”
“yes, we knew the crowd would be
a factor at Buffalo” “we can’t
continue to start out slow, the
guys have got to understand that”

Va Tech…L…41-17… “we got whipped, plain and
simple, we got whipped”,
“we’re gonna work on it, this is
what we do, we practice football,
then we play football” “he’s a
senior now, he has got to step up”

Notre Dame…L…64-62 triple o.t. “what can you

say about a game like that, it’s a
shame someone had to lose” “I told
Brian, hell of a job, hell of a job”
“well, no, we’re gonna have to work
on that, we’ll get in the film room
Monday and get busy”

Team to be determined….L….38-10 “we know

“they’re conference is excellent, and
they’re brand of ball is up tempo, we
knew that going in”, “I’m not a
quitter, and, neither are my guys”,
“I told them, the Big East Champinship
is the real reason we’re here”, “we
have our eyes on the prize, it all
starts Monday morning”

Big East schedule…3-4 or 4-3, as I said, mix
match your wins and losses with the
teams of your choosing, like every year.

“it’s that time of year you know,
conference play”, “every year, someone
jumps up and suprises you, you get that
with conference play”, “our goal is a
Big East championship, every year,
that’s what we set out for, nothing
less” “that’s unacceptable, the kids
have got to get better”, “yes, we had
a good week of practice, I don’t know
what happened.” “look, you know, you
need senior leadership from the seniors
we’re still waiting to see who wants
to take the reigns” “backyard brawl,
‘s always a slugfest, you know that”,
“we just have to line up and play
Panther football, that’s what we do”

I have now saved you two years of frustration. Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 1:28 pm

Before the season began, noting the OOC schedule was more difficult than the past season, I concluded that 10-3 (or better) was progress, and that 9-4 (but only with a bowl victory) was treading water, and 5 or more losses was regression.

Well, unless Pitt wins out and follows that with a BCS bowl victory it will have regressed and the season will be a failure. Very sad. This team would be 8-1 if played up to its capability talent wise.

Comment by pitt1972 11.12.10 @ 1:32 pm

Pitt man, you are so far off, you don’t even know. Look at all of the old posts. The average Pitt basketball fan is absolutely tickled with the basketball program. 10 or so straight tourney appearance, elite 8’s, sweet 16’s, constant 27 win seasons. I work, and maybe you do too, with a ton of different people and different backgrounds, and even after the elite 8 loss to Villanova, I heard no complaints at all, whatsoever. Yes, people were disappointed that we lost, but, I heard no one say, “can’t win the big one”. Basketball is also different, there are 350 division one schools, the championship takes 6 wins against increasingly tough opponents. Would a national championship or final four be great, absolutely, fantastic, but, I, and almost everyone I know is absolutely ecstatic where the basketball program is. Constant tourney, constant top 10 top 5, constant big wins. Maybe you listen to some yinzers call up on the radio shows and say, “ya, but whens Jamie gonna win da big one and dat”, that is the very few, and would do that for anything. Every Pitt fan I know is absolutely plumb proud of the hoops team, knows they are gonna get a big season, knows they are about 5th or 6th out of 350 or so teams, in straight tourney appearances, the Pitt football and basketball programs are polar opposites at this time. Fans are smart, they know, even with a top 5 team, and even maybe the good Lord knows himself, that a certain team is the best, anything can happen in a one game you’re out tourney. Happened to ‘Cuse a few years back. Had arguably, the best team in the country, lost their opening round game. Nope, hoops different and most fans know it. Pitt hoops awesome, awesome coach, very, very, extremely very little to complain about, if anything at all. Who would have thought 15 years ago, Pitt would be known as a hoops school, and every year is talked about on Sportscenter as one of the best power teams in the nation, from the most powerful conference???????

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 1:40 pm

Dan: Thanks for adding some levity to an otherwise sad day – and I know you’re only half joking. You might be wrong about that UCF win though. 🙂

Good assessment, pitt1972. Pretty much in agreement there.

Comment by TampaT 11.12.10 @ 1:41 pm

On the bright side for college football fans (not Pitt fans mind you 🙂 )

Perhaps Pitt can be the catalyst that destroys the BCS.

It might just be too apparent to Judges that a 7-5 pathetically bad Big East team playing in a BCS instead of a deserving team just how this is a violation of anti-trust laws.

I kid, but hell the way things are right now what else is there to do.

DaveD

Comment by DaveD 11.12.10 @ 1:47 pm

Funny, DaveD that thought actually crossed my mind this morning, because I was looking for anything to be positive about. Wanny could go down as the coach who destroyed the BCS. He would be a folk hero.

Comment by TampaT 11.12.10 @ 1:53 pm

Pitt man, after re-reading my post, my opening line sounds harsh, I did not mean it to sound that way, and is not directed at you or your opinion per se, was just an opening line. I respect you and your opinion. The rest I believe. Also, remember, the guys on the radio stir things up to get callers, this joker Filipone and Colin someone on the Fan, that’s all they do to Steeler fans, it’s almost embarassing to listen to them say something, that has no basis just to get a reaction. So, I know some of them will say, “well, the Pitt fan base has to ask themselves, will Pitt ever get to the final four”, no, no we don’t. We hope we might someday, but who is saying that. Really who, it’s funny, came into the office today, and I’ve heard a lot of quotes, as I’m sure all of you have too, has gone something like this, “thank God basketball has started”, “thank goodness for hoops”, “does Jamie know anything about football”, “can we put some of the hoops players on the football team” “what would it take Jamie to coach football??” Again, absolutely no disrespect to you as a person, but, again, the football and basketball teams are ions apart, and I believe 95% of the fans realize this, and realize what they have with hoops now, and are overjoyed!!

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 1:57 pm

Dan 11 – priceless!!!

Comment by Dan 72 11.12.10 @ 2:03 pm

Whatever douchebag wrote about Boise taking our BCS bid:

Where We Stand
Since 2006, the BIG EAST ranks second among FBS
conferences in nonconference winning percentage.
Nonconference Records (2006-10)
C onference W L Pct.
SEC 216 48 .818
BIG EAST 161 60 .729
Big 12 194 73 .727
Big Ten 176 72 .710
Pac-10 113 64 .638
ACC 168 98 .632
Mountain West 113 85 .571
WAC 100 106 .485
Conference USA 102 159 .391
MAC 83 191 .303
Sun Belt 41 145 .220

Every bowl other than the BCS championship game proper is just a show for dough. Why people get all pissy on who deserves it more or not is pointless.

Also, Tino’s arm is still as strong as a bowl of J-E-L-L-O. Sorry Jon, but on a good note, you can come back for your senior year!

Comment by Brian 11.12.10 @ 2:33 pm

I’ve been debating whether or not Pederson would actually fire Wanny based on Wanny’s salary, contract and possible buyout and not Pitt’s record. Wanny is signed through 2014. He currently makes about $950,000 and has an ~$1.2M buyout. Unless Pitt blows it’s remaining games and stays home from a bowl, I can see no way Wanny gets fired after this season. Pederson always harps on giving coaches “time and support” to do their jobs and my gut tells me that Pederson will give Wanny the time. Of course empty seats next season may shorten the time given to Wanny. It’s going to be difficult to fill Heinz Field when you have a mediocre and unpredictable team playing the likes of Buffalo, Maine, Utah and USF.

Comment by Jerome Lane 11.12.10 @ 2:41 pm

Dan – two things have made me laugh today. The first was an email from an old friend that outlined his frustrations, including bitterness at our respective fathers for starting us down this road 35 years ago (tongue firmly in cheek). The second was your preview of the next two seasons.

Thank you.

Comment by Pantherman13 11.12.10 @ 2:51 pm

Uconn returned 17 starters.

Comment by alcofan 11.12.10 @ 3:01 pm

The best thing for Pitt is to stay far far away from that BCS bid.

HTscriptP

Great summary btw, Dan

Comment by Cool Hand Nuke 11.12.10 @ 3:06 pm

That was atrocious. Why don’t they ever progress during the season?

Comment by Chris 11.12.10 @ 3:15 pm

yes and all 17 of those starters were backups on single A high school teams in new england… which is a real hot bed of nfl talent

seriously

they suck… they lost to temple… who also sucks… when you have consistent talent like we do there is only one excuse… COACHING!

Comment by DeVanzo 11.12.10 @ 3:23 pm

Hell I went to 3 games this year, Utah, ND and UConn! Talk about bad timing!

Last night was the last straw, I hope they do not go to a BCS bowl because they will lose big time.

Comment by James Brown 11.12.10 @ 3:24 pm

No more apologies. No more excuses. This is not progress. If the Big East wants to improve its football image, get rid of Pitt. This program will wallow in mediocricy until Wanny is put out to pasture.

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.10 @ 3:24 pm

Wanny does less with more. Pin this loss on him. I can’t take another season like this…wait, that would be seven straight seasons! Enough is enough.

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.10 @ 3:45 pm

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.10 @ 3:24 pm

Blood in the water, indeed. And quite predictable.

Comment by carolinapanther 11.12.10 @ 3:47 pm

I don’t kick people when they’re down, it’s too low to go for me. Enjoy though, as most seem to be doing. Sad.

Comment by carolinapanther 11.12.10 @ 3:52 pm

When a dog is down, you try to help him, and you try again, but, he doesn’t get up, keeps doing the same thing, just too injured, eventually, sadly, sometimes you have to put them out of their misery!!!

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 4:17 pm

We are still going to win the bigeast!I dont care if we are 6-6 17,000,000 divided up still looks pretty good to me and the PITT program!

Comment by POLE 11.12.10 @ 4:26 pm

What’s sad is when you trust a dog, you give him some love, and he turns around and bites you. But you still believe that the dog can learn to be a good dog, so you give him more love. He responds for a while, and you start to trust him again. Then you bring your friends over to show them how proud you are of that dog, and he bites you again. You finally get to where know you can’t trust that dog anymore, so it’s you or the dog. I think that’s where most of us are today.

Comment by TampaT 11.12.10 @ 4:32 pm

Amen! TampaT gets it. Too bad many of the apologists still dont.

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.10 @ 4:36 pm

I want to see this team without Bennett

Comment by Tony Cancilla 11.12.10 @ 4:40 pm

…On the plus side, Cam Saddler had a good night returing punts…

Comment by HbgFrank 11.12.10 @ 4:51 pm

i want to see this team without wannstedt

Comment by DeVanzo 11.12.10 @ 4:51 pm

Did you see the smile on the face of the Edsel when he called the time-out on the 4th and 1….”Go ahead Dave – try to stop me!”””…he’s 3 and 1 against DW…coaching, coaching, coaching!

Comment by markp 11.12.10 @ 4:51 pm

CarolinaPanther – You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. So, we need to find a new dog. We already know after 6 years what this dog gives us and I for one won’t be tuning in for another year of frustration, disappointment and embarassment with the old one.

Comment by TX Panther 11.12.10 @ 4:57 pm

Right on the money TampaT. To some of the apologists, and, I say that, not antagonizingly, to think Pitt wins the BE……….seriously, not mocking, and not making fun, really??? I say they’ll have their hands full with S.Fla, and get beat by WVU and Cincy. Not just saying that to pile on, I really believe they have problems ahead. I’m not even interested, but, I gave it a thought for a moment, and really, 6-6 or 5-7 is just as, or, moreso, possible than 8-4 or 7-5. The kids have to be ready to go into the tank about now. I see a train coming off the rails.

Comment by Dan 11.12.10 @ 4:58 pm

who cares if they win out? those 3 teams are all very average this year… doesnt disprove that wanny is not fit to coach

we have lost 4 winnable games… 2 from teams not likely to go to a bowl game (uconn/nd)

this is a team that people who know football thought had the talent to be top 15… and you cant sit here and say we shouldnt be 8-1 right now after watching TCU smoke Utah at home

even if we win out… barring a miracle in the BCS game, he should be fired…. 13-9 saved him and it shouldnt have… its an annomaly and not because of him

there is zero benefit to keeping him when there are so many coaches out there

look at what Harbaugh did to Stanford in only 2 YEARS AFTER WALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the man lacks the intelligence to ever be a successful coach, his teams will always win in spite of him… you cant teach intelligence or creativity, he just isnt very smart

Comment by DeVanzo 11.12.10 @ 5:12 pm

I have to say, Dan’s posts made my day. I’m laughing and crying at the same time. Chas, please keep those predictions so we can cross check.

Comment by Pauly P 11.12.10 @ 6:42 pm

Bobby,
Thanks for posting Steve Pederson’s email address. Okay guys time to flood the guy.. .

Comment by TonyinHouston 11.12.10 @ 6:44 pm

Not only will I send Pederson an e-mail as well as a written letter, I will show my anger and frustration in probably the only way he will understand: terminating all financial support. Stop buying tickets to the games. Stop donating to the athletic teams. Dollars always speak louder than words.

Comment by Gas 11.12.10 @ 6:54 pm

Next year with Wanny about 35,000 empty seats (average) per game. A record of 7-5 which might get us back to exciting Charlotte. A terrible recruiting year because at same point Pitt’s poor performance will catch up with our University.
Wanny will have new assistants (Bennett is gone) and they will fail under his lack of direction.
Pederson will fire The Wannastash because the empty seats aRE COTING OUR PROGRAM TOO MUCH $$$.

Comment by isnore 11.12.10 @ 7:25 pm

Show me the Money!!!

Comment by BnG 11.12.10 @ 9:12 pm

DeVanzo’s Harbaugh reference was on point. In 2 yrs Harbaugh has Stanford playing at a high level. Wanny’s been here 6, enough is enough!

Comment by Pittastic 11.13.10 @ 12:29 pm

I happened to watch some of the Northwestern v Iowa game and saw an excellent college QB playing for NU. The game analysts said that this year he was the best in the big-ten better than Proyer or Stinch(?) of Iowa. His name is Pedra and is from Bethlehem, PA. Question did Pitt try to recruit him (played in PA all-star game). One would assume he had the academics and from what I witnessed the skills to have singularly changed this season. He will not play at the next level but he is a top noth D1 quarterback. Further regarding coaches although he is aan alumni of Northwestern coach Fitzgerald is a young obviously competent coach who would be an excellent fit at Pitt. Although he is not an alumnus his bio indicates as a representative he would at least equal and in my opinion far surpass Weinstat.

Comment by dennis wagner 11.14.10 @ 6:14 pm

[…] Wannstedt at Pitt, I probably am not the only one to know what he says in most situations. From last week: The thing that probably has me most pissed is that Wannstedt will not devote any introspection as […]