February 2, 2008

I’m not going to be able to give this game as immediate attention as I want. Monitor duty at Fanhouse and 3 noon Big East games that are all staying close — ‘Cuse-Nova; Hall-G’town; and Marq-Cinci — means keeping a closer eye on those and then coming back to Pitt with the 1pm start.

Almost a silly premised article — Pitt struggles when going to UConn in the last 17 years. Hmm. Pitt sucked in the 90s and UConn has been a national power since the mid-90s. Guess what? Even if they were relatively even, the strong edge will go to the home team. Just like Pitt has a pretty strong edge at the Pete over UConn.

Big theme will be that both teams are undermanned. UConn though, has Wiggins available. There’s no way he doesn’t play, in my view, if he’s been practicing with the team. Even as Calhoun bitches that proper procedures weren’t followed since he didn’t determine Dyson and Wiggins should have been drug tested, not to mention the info released by the UConn campus police about the marijuana found near the car (no charges filed, though).

According to sources, athletic director Jeff Hathaway has a policy that calls for student athletes involved with any alcohol-related incident to be tested for drugs. UConn’s student athlete drug-testing policy is composed of three parts: random testing, probable cause and testing before participation in an NCAA championship event or bowl game.

Testing in this case falls under probable cause. Calhoun does not think this case called for drug testing, and the handbook says probable cause “may” be determined by a coach, doctor or trainer.

No, of course not. Found with alcohol in the car. Drugs found near the scene — even if not charged — and two players who have already failed at least one drug test each. Nothing to consider in that scene.

Let’s go Pitt.

The only comment I had was that Benjamin has obviously not had his shot since his hand got gashed – another injury that’s not getting any press. Maybe a good reason to put him at the point. But CBS hacked him for shooting badly.

Pitt outplayed UCONN but couldn’t get the shots to fall – we’re just not a good shooting team without Fields able to penetrate and then get kickouts.

Comment by Kevin 02.02.08 @ 4:12 pm

I love Pitt, but it was a pathetic offensive effort today. We are too inconsistent. Blair and Young are the only two players who show up every game. Ramon…only on 50% of the time. Benjamin, McGhee and Brown are not consistent either. I don’t feel either team played well, but scoreboard surely proves who played better

Comment by Jen Frisco 02.02.08 @ 4:48 pm

Jen – I’m lost. Please help me understand. I got Young 7-21, 0-5 from 3 – is that good now? And was Young’s 4-17, 1-5 against Rutgers “showing up” too? Is it better to take bad shots or miss shots just for the sake of having more shot atttempts than it is to shoot a high percentage?

Comment by Stuart 02.02.08 @ 5:48 pm

Stuart, you’re right, you’re damn right. It’s admirable or politically correct or something for highnoses to just want to trash our own players for a loss. And sure, they missed shots. Y’know what, UConn missed shots too, and threw a ton of balls away. They didn’t play better than Pitt. This was mother-f**king Tranghese’s retarded goons.

They’ve always hated us in the Howland/Dixon era, I guess for daring to challenge the hallowed original schools. But it seems even more pronounced this year … could it be revenge for Pitt beating WVU in the Brawl? Cost the conference some coin and notoriety not to have a team in the NC game. Tranghese is an a**hole and NOrdenberg is an idiot for keeping us prisoners of this crap conference.

Comment by geeman2001 02.02.08 @ 7:57 pm

Obviously, everybody has a right to an opinion about the officiating. I can’t comment myself as I was forced to follow the game via CBS’s on-line game tracker. However, unless there is an official inquiry by Pitt or the Big East into the calls that were made/not made, I think we should drop it. Pitt did more than enough on its own to lose this game today.
Our weaknesses with the losses of Fields and Cook are certainly being exposed as we get into the meat of the Big East schedule. We’re either good enough to overcome them or not. Right now I think the jury is still out.
We’re currently in seventh place in the Big East and only 1.5 games ahead of the 12th-place team (Providence). We’ve lost some games to “weaker” opponents and the schedule gets more difficult from here on out. I’m more concerned with what lies ahead than with what has happened in the past.

Comment by Dave in Orlando 02.02.08 @ 8:58 pm

I count only one really really bad call today – the offensive goaltending. Otherwise, the refs were damnably inconsistent, mainly with the aggressive stuff in the paint. And one other time, I guess, when Adrien hooked someone with his elbow and didn’t get called, but threw the ball away. Bad calls went both ways – remember, UCONN had a guy foul out.

We lost only because we shot like crap, and because we forced 12 turnovers in the first half which made up for shooting like crap, but only 2 in the second. I thought Brown was the best player today but he even did poorly towards the end, and we were STILL tied with less than 3 minutes to go.

If Fields had never got hurt we might be undefeated in the conference.

Comment by Kevin 02.02.08 @ 9:14 pm

Let’s face it, this team is not great athletically. This is not a Final Four team even with Fields. But when they give their all, like they did today, we should be proud of them. Enjoy every victory.

Comment by steve 02.02.08 @ 9:44 pm

They should have had 4 guys foul out. Hey, your attitude is the better way. It certainly doesn’t help to gripe about it. As Dave mentioned, our own administration doesn’t give a flunk. As someone mentioned, when you go out there undermanned to begin with, leave your blood on the court, playing a team whose star players should be in jail or are airlifted in from Africa for the games, a coach who just oozes a**hole from every pore…to have the refs ream you too is hard to take. It’s remarkably similar to the Brawl, except we won that one.

Comment by geeman2001 02.02.08 @ 11:07 pm

I watched the game, I can’t put this one on the officials. When you shoot as bad as we did, you don’t deserve to win a game in the Big East (2 of 16 from 3!) Our shooting is bad. There were a lot of wide open shots missed. I’m not sure how much fields being back would change that. Ironically, we need to keep shooting the 3 and hope the percentages start to fall our way again. We need 3’s to win the Big East. I would like to see Ramon, Brown and Benjamin take most of those three’s, with Young, Blair and Biggs working on their inside games (way too many put backs missed). Maybe Troutman can come in and do some training with these guys!

Comment by HbgFrank 02.02.08 @ 11:21 pm